PDA

View Full Version : Med Mod

Basil Otis
10-09-2003, 07:49
Hi Wes,

I've been keeping up with your med mod. It's coming on very nicely. The gameplay is improved immeasurably. I've some comments on the gameplay & suggestions for how you might imprpove it (EARLY ONLY):

1. England

AI does not appear to build ships. Three times I've played as France and cleared them of mainland Europe by sinking their starting fleet - I've not seen them build a single ship. (Speculation - I think if England were able to compete with the Danes for Ireland & Atlantic Seaboard, we might find Denmark less over-powered??)

2. Sweden VS Novgorod

I know there's a Swedish dude who's keen as mustard for the Swedes to be an early faction, but to my mind it just don't make sense to have them & not Novgorod - NVG was the only Rus to maintain independence from Mongols & was a more significant political entity for the period in question IMHO. Sweden expanded north and into Finland in the late C12th & C13th but were halted by the NVG at Battle of River Neva in 1240.

3. Russia

They're a good placeholder to prevent the easy Byzantine expansion northwards. While this Ukraine area included Kievan dominions, Kiev broke apart in the 1100's. For much of the period Ukraine through to Wallachia was dominated by the Cuman Turks. Cuman Turks converted to Islam in the early 1000's & there were some crusading efforts vs them in the 1100's (Teutonic Knights). This could add a few more more crusading options pre-GH.

Alternatively, Could stick the Khazar Empire in & have a Jewish empire which would be fun.

4. HRE

It's already been noted that HRE is underpowered. They always seem to get divied up by Hungary/Italy/Denmark && Poland. They do need some beefing up or other changes. It would be the least well modelled country in the game - due to limitations of CA's strategic/political engine (Medieval Lords, a real old DOS game had a really good HRE model in it).

In the early period, HRE was dominated by both Civil War and conflict with, variously, Italians/Lombard League/Pope/Normans (HRE Emperors believed they were rightful rulers of Italy & protectors of the Papacy, Popes (when independent), thought the Emps were vassals of the Pope. The period also saw German expansion and settlement North (into Holstein) and Eastward.

The point of all that is, is it possible to make some changes that can reflect some of this? I don't know how well it would work, but I had a couple of ideas:

- For GA's HRE should consider include all of Italy as home provinces, or better high bonus GA provinces (if it doesn't already that is). This might promote some HRE/Italian conflict as per history.

But, at the moment they get duffed over by every man and his dog so this would be no good without some other changes...
- Maybe HRE provinces should be given a bit of an economic boost, providing a higher income level. In addition to this, what about raising the rebellion level for HRE provinces to 1 or 2 (would need to increase starting garrison to stop early revolts).

The intended effect of this suggestion to give HRE stronger development base, a stronger garrison that might reduce the likelihood of invasion, plus a much higher chance of rebellion if the garrison is too small - representing internal strife that typified the HRE, or if conquered may slow attackers down & promote longer term survival of HRE through more frequemt rebellions. Higher rebel level would limit expansion capability of HRE too - balancing the higher income... Anyway, just an idea. I think I'll do this myself & report back on the results.

5. Italy

Foot units are WAAY too powerful in Early. Consequently they roll over everyone. Most games I've played they have recreated the Roman Empire & taken most of HRE - all due to their Infantry horde. These troops should be de-powered, or alternatively and maybe better, their cost increased - thereby reducing the Italian's ability to mount simultaneous attacks from quite early on.

6. Byzantium, Seljuks, Egyptians

I think the Byz are over-powered - at least in comparison to the Turks. I usually see the Byz over-running the Turks quite quickly. I like what you've done with the mercenaries for Byz tho. Italians and Sicilians are generally overrunning Egypt too.

I think that the Turks and Egyptians need to be beefed up a tad. At the start of the period they were comparatively weak at their periphery due to civil war etc, but none of the Christian states was able to make any substantial penetration beyond coastal areas. Several crusader attacks on Egypt itself were easily repulsed.

Maybe like HRE suggestion bump up income for inland muslim prov, but also their rebellion factor - make it harder for conquerers to hold these provinces & increase likelihood of faction reappearance in appropriate areas.

7. Trade & Sea areas

Reduced sea areas works well reducing player advantage in trade. To further mitigate this, what about increasing the import % value - (I noticed this is a variable that can be changed)... dunno, might not be such a good idea.

8. New areas

I had a thought also, with the reduction in Sea areas, does this mean that it might be possible to make a few map alterations and add a couple of provinces? I have a particular bug-bear about how they've done Spain - it took till 1300 to retake all but Granada & 1490 to finally nab that. Yet with this game it's over, one way or another, by 1100 - 1150, which is dumb. If a few of the Spanish provinces could be split up -

- Portugal (& maybe make a Portugese faction?). North - (Oporto?) and South - (Lisbon?) a muslim province

- Castile. Atlantic coast - Castile, inland, Toledo - muslim province (under Castlian/Spanish control from 1085... would strengthen Castile vs Aragon too - make Spain last more consistently)

- Cordova. Split West & East. Cordova west & Murcia East

Dunno if this map change can be made - but 3 new provinces in Spain would be cool in my opinion

Anyway, sorry for the length of this post

Cheers

B.Otis

DeadRunner
10-09-2003, 11:30
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif welcome to the forum basil

SmokWawelski
10-09-2003, 13:37
Boy, this is a looooong list here...

Gregoshi
10-09-2003, 16:09
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif Hello Basil and welcome to the Entrance Hall.

Which version of the MedMod are you referring to? I'll copy your comments into the appropriate topic. I notice there is a 3.11 version out now.

katar
10-09-2003, 16:40
i`m playing 3.10 as HRE and england is churning out boats, no problem. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

The Beef Baron
10-09-2003, 17:48
Hi all...I'm playin 3.11 as the Alms (early), and everything seems to be going ok so far. In 3.10 i noticed the papcay had a tendency to disappear within a few years but appears to hang around longer now. England is building ships in 3.11, as is everyone else that can. as for the Egyptians and the turks, they also seem to be holding their own...mind you this is just my first 3.11 game. the turks have pushed the byzantines outta asia minor and are fighting off the italians (c. 1110). not sure if anyone else has noticed, but arab infantry seem to be a very powerfull force to be reckoned with. so far no crusades though i also agree that if it were possible to split up spain that it would be a good idea...as the alms it is a very ripe tomato to pick when your alternative is cyrenica.

TBB

Lazul
10-09-2003, 18:06
WHAT? whats wrong with sweden http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif hehe...

accualy... both novgorod and sweden should be in. Sweden balance it out with Denmark so they wont get Uber-Strong and crush all northern europe.

me likes the sweden... me loves them... my preciouzz

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Basil Otis
10-09-2003, 20:28
Hey there fellows. Thanks for the welcome. It's more accurately a return after a year's absence. (No decent new games in that time worth mention, what a sad reflection on strat games for 2003.)

Sorry for the length of that post, all those thoughts have been welling up for a while http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Interesting that England is building boats for all you lot.

I'm now running 3.11, I've been playing Med-Mod non-stop for the last month and I swear to you that England has not built any boats in that time. I put a fresh copy on the other week too just to be sure. hmm, maybe I copied a version with some tweaks already in it.

I'll have to make a n extra fresh-fresh reinstall to check that out now... I think 33% of my HDD is dedicated to various copies of ME:TW now - I've been overcome with ME-MOD-MADNESS... help me