PDA

View Full Version : Problems appearing while creating a fraction...

LordChance
10-11-2003, 23:10
After reading throught the extensive material found in the dungeon and testing small changes...I've succeded to create a major fraction which functions well with a few notable exeptions...I havn't found the answeres anywhere and since there are no official guide lines I'll pleed for a little help...pointing out a relevant faq or so...

Problems
1: Why does not CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.txt idenfify my fraction...tested calling it FN_Free01 and naming it Khazars (the name of my test fraction)

2: Why does the battle CTD when a prince is present and whatever unit he has...while taking those units normally works...

3: How do one eddit the names.txt file for kings and generals...and get them working with your newly created fraction.

4: Creating units have worked fine for me adding 3-5 units to the byzantines but when I used the viking raider cavalry under a diffrent name the whole game CTD while battle loaded...

5: Where is the file which include the description and name of fraction which is presented in the menu for selecting fraction...

6: Can you prohibit buildings from specific fractions?

Plz Help...before I get to tired of testing myself...(its hell not to get access to the dungeon...but rules are rules)

Gregoshi
10-12-2003, 06:23
Here's a friendly bump to get the attention of our expert modders. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

LordChance
10-12-2003, 10:27
thx
There seem to be little room in this forum beneath all those sticky topics...

ChaosDrake
10-13-2003, 02:27
hi lord chance
i have tried the same to create a new faction and got the same problems, but i have removed the golden horde what are a mistake was while they are hardcoded or something read it in a post dont know which it was.

k mh im a newbie modder like you http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif how about to share our knowledge to create a mod.
my ideas are to create 3 new factions the khazars, scots and the irish maybe a fourth the crusader states.
i have choosen the first 3 while they have own units and the khazars got royal cav.
then i have thought about to insert the units from the viking invasion to the main game that are not included there like the irish dartman and bonnachts and some others.
k and i thinking about to make the danish, the novgorod and the khazars pagan with there own bishop/druid and there own pagan buildings. i think we can convert some buildings from viking invasion to the main game.
and i want that the danish got there own archers and removing the other feudal units for them(they have enough own good units i think).
k im able to make new units but i cant add a faction or convert some buildings to the maingame and i cant change the religion i have tried it but i failed.
i think we can do it if you wish when we got some help from one of the modders here in the forum who can advice us to make it another newbie modder lady alhana would help us when not i dont cooking the next 2 months for her lol

what do you think? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

greetings
chaosdrake

Gregoshi
10-13-2003, 05:30
LC, I copied your post to the Dungeon - Alchemist lab forum. You can find it here: Problems creating a new faction (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=5;t=11838;r=1;&#top).

LordChance
10-13-2003, 13:19
Chaos Drake - A few of those I can tell you are real easy to change the religion is found in for example startpost/early.txt just change the setreligion line to one of the other alternatives...(it has worked for me)

My goal is to add the following fractions...Khazars Kagnate, Cuman Tribes, Wallahians Tribes, Kingdom of Valencia, Sweden, Scots, Lithuanians...and three more which I havent decided (i have heard that 9 extra is the limit)

The strange thing is that I have succeded with including other VI units in my early games...such as adding EARLY VARANGIANS which exists but arnt included...and also saxon huscarls and a few others....

Just a tip about the Danish...at this time they where feudal so if you like historic corect you should not make them vikings...but of course they are more fun as vikings...

And also Thx once more Gregoshi

Lord Of Storms
10-13-2003, 14:02
Greetings Lord Chance you might find this info helpful it is dubbed The Lysander solution after its founder Patron Lysander and it was instrumental in solving this major CTD problem as it might also for you...LOS

New patron Lysander provided the following (new?) information on this issue in the Entrance Hall:

-----

ok, I have been having a lot of trouble adding a new faction (e.g., FN_FREE21 //Welsh )without a game crash; however, I have figured out the secret to this miserable little task...

Now, the problem was that game crashes occured as the newly defined faction left the campaign map for the battle map--oddly this crash would only occur with certain units (e.g., peasants, highland clansmen, kerns, etc.). I discovered that only those units which were culled from texture folders associated with face-shields caused the crash. Units drawn from texture folders which are not associated with face-shields (e.g., archers--which use the texture folder Pestunic)do not cause a battle crash. Therefore newly defined factions, such as FN_FREE21 //WELSH, cannot utilize units which are drawn from the following bif texture folders, as they are associated with face-shields:
Peasant
ChainHlm
HlPlArSH
LArmWCav
MKnight
MSHelm
PlateS
Since Mtw/Vi can utilize 10 new customizable bif folders, the above texture folders can be copied and renamed Custom0 through Custom6 respectively--just make sure the bif images inside the folders are also renamed (e.g., Custom0_H.bif to replace Peasant_H.bif, etc.). After this, one only needs to open the CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11 file and change the texture body type (e.g., from Peasant to Custom0) for each unit that used the troublesome textures. Now new factions can use all available units without experiencing a crash-to-desktop on the battle map--although face-shields will not be used in the game.
Yet, if one wishes to retain face-shields in the game then only those units which specificaly use face-shields should be drawn from the old texture folders and used only by the original factions. New factions must be denied access to those specific units. This is easily done if new factions are muslim or pagan, however loyalist revolts might unexpectedly add such units as feudal-men-at-arms or feudal sergeants to newly added catholic factions--therefore care must be taken if face-shields are included in a game with new factions.

Well, this system has worked well for me and as of this moment I have built a grand Welsh kingdom stretching across much of Europe. I have fought all the battles myself, and, although not all have been victories, I have yet to experiance a game crash.
I hope this information can be of help to those intrested.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Lord Of Storms
10-13-2003, 14:22
Problems
1: Why does not CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.txt idenfify my fraction...tested calling it FN_Free01 and naming it Khazars (the name of my test fraction)
Check this heading in your Mod txt file it is best to copy and edit your own unit and build prods for your mod, then declare them in your startpos/mod txt file so as to make them specific to your mod
/=======================================
//production files to be used for this
//startpos
//=======================================
//NOTES
// ProdFile - allows you to specify the production files for this startpos
// usage: Prodfile::
// where = UNITPROD or BUILDINGPROD
// = name of prod file, including file extension.
// example:
// Prodfiles:: UNITPROD TargetsUnits.txt BUILDINGPROD TargetsBuildings.txt
//
//all Prodfiles must be stored in the Medieval root folder

Prodfiles:: UNITPROD vikings_unit_prod.txt BUILDINGPROD vikings_build_prod.txt
I suggest you also read the topics in the alchemist lab regarding adding a new faction to VI etc...
2: Why does the battle CTD when a prince is present and whatever unit he has...while taking those units normally works...
See Lysanders solution...
3: How do one eddit the names.txt file for kings and generals...and get them working with your newly created fraction.
in VI you can do this via the Default Heroes file in Medieval/Campamp/Names the files heading has good info and it is pretty straightforward, also look in the repostiory, in the Dungeons Faq thread the last page you will see a post there on adding heroes to VI...
4: Creating units have worked fine for me adding 3-5 units to the byzantines but when I used the viking raider cavalry under a diffrent name the whole game CTD while battle loaded...

5: Where is the file which include the description and name of fraction which is presented in the menu for selecting fraction...
you will find them Medieval/Loc/Eng/Startpos
6: Can you prohibit buildings from specific fractions?

Yes you can, if you dont have it already theres a tool thats used around here by modders to edit the prod and proj stats files, it is called The Gnome Editor and it lays these files out in a simple to read and edit column format, you can get it here on the org's download page under GnomeUnitBuild_ProjEditorV2.0 and in column 20 you can make buildings faction specific or exclude them if you wish...
Hope this helps you some...LOS

ChaosDrake
10-14-2003, 17:20
thanks a lot lord of storms http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif it might help us we try it again to make a new faction

LordChance
10-15-2003, 20:38
Thx very much Lord of Storms http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I Have even had the thought to make a guide after struggeling through this and now you solve the last problem...the sole one I hadent figured out myself...
Might be that a guide will come soon...if I ever get time...

LordChance
10-16-2003, 00:19
Great as quickly as you find out one thing a new unknown way to CTD appears...
Added customs and it worked on 9 out of 10 new units but then I came to my Navarre King with Bodyguard (hosiptaler texture...called custom4) and there is a Hardspirts failed to load and a lot of numbers (zeroes)

LordChance
10-16-2003, 12:32
I've decided since a resent discovery to begin writing a simple...rough guide (for a friend) and if it gets good enough it will be posted in about two-three weeks...

Gregoshi
10-17-2003, 06:52
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

I emote, therefore I am. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif