PDA

View Full Version : Where things could go... (The Civil War)

Icerian Rex
10-13-2003, 22:09
In the past, I always thought that the direction Totalwar should go in would be toward more, More, MORE However, as I've played MTW over and over and over, I've found that it's a little like drinking liquid drano: It fills me up for awhile, but leaves me feeling empty. It's simply too big. After awhile, with 100+ provinces firmly under control, it just gets boring wrapping up.

It appears, at least from a graphical view, that RTW is going to resolve some of these issues. However, I think that more could be done. Toward this end, one of the things that I'd really like to see (especially now that this platform/gaming engine/whatever is coming into it's own, would be a future expansion into the Civil War. BUT - with a different approach. Rather than having a static game where the point is to build build build (and with more building coming better/different units), the approach would be instead on managing a populace devoid of food, or unfavorable to the war (perhaps due to a battle that went poorly). These things could be done via periodic newspaper articles that flash on the screen or something. Also, since the Civil War won no points for the Yankees as they invaded the South (nor for the Southerners as they invaded the north prior to Gettysburgh), the player would instead have to deal with more or less finite resources... both in terms of manpower/material/and weaponry, and would gain no leverage for conquering territory.

For those that have a general idea of what I'm trying to say, help me out. For those that don't, picture combining something akin to Sid Meier's Gettysburgh with the imagery (or better) of RTW, putting a cap on the time limit, and making it to where each soldier that fell/each unit that routed really said something more than simply Oh well, look's like I've got to go back and build another thousand or so swiss pikemen. Here are some ideas I've got for such a venture:

1. Battles don't simply line people up on a field and commence fighting. Instead, units are marched in (or not, based on choosing and speed of march) at different parts of the battlefield and at different times. Also, battles would have the voices of commanders, the bugle calls, the cracking of muskets and explosion of cannonballs (you'd want to have your speakers turned up), and the confusion of smoke from the battle as commanders tried to make sense of things.

2. Since battles don't begin immediately, soldiers would have the opportunity of entrenching (and could determine the type of entrenching, such as simply sawing down trees or building large earthworks).

3. Battles would be of different types (as attacks on fortified cities would be far different than happenstance encounters in the woods), and could include naval units as well (such as in the siege of Vicksburg). Obviously, on such a grand scale, there would need to be maps of the largest of sizes (although hopefully of even more more more detail&#33http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif.

4. Speaking of naval units, THERE HAVE GOT TO BE REALTIME NAVAL BATTLES Could you imagine the exchange between the Monitor and the Merrimac if it were done via autoresolve?

5. With regard to the strategic aspect of things, there wouldn't be any of this army's sitting there, someone attacks, armies fight. Instead, it would be necessary to move one's troops around. Strategic areas would need to be guarded. Supply depots. Train lines. Riverways. Cities. Etc... Marching would probably cost money and supplies, but not marching might lead to a quick defeat.

6. Continuing the strategic theme, either side could call upon other nations to come to their aid, although rather than this being simply a matter of paying people off (such as paying off rebel armies), it would be a cumulative affair, that might require on a specific battle for aid.

7. Finally, since resources (and people) are finite, there would eventually come a time when one side or the other could simply no longer fight. As each side wore the other down, this would come into play in terms of one side's ability to adequately wage war, and could eventually cost the game.

I dunno. Those are just some of my ideas. If anyone can picture what I'm talking about let me know. Long, drawn out battles. Massive sounds. Constant movement and real confusion (the fog of war). This same idea could be applied to the Revolution as well. I look forward to hearing back from people.

desdichado
10-14-2003, 05:05
Welcome to the org Icerian Rex http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

You certainly don't think in small terms do you. Some of your ideas I agree with - finite population is a must as in MTW it is too easy to build up gigantic armies from what would have been sparsley populated regions in reality.

I also agree with the whole movement of armies - just because an army is invading does not mean it is the attacker, ie. Crecy & Agincourt for example. I want to be able to march an army into enemy territory and grab a strategic site, supply base, whatever and force the enemy to come to me or do a bit of raiding to just generally annoy the crap out of them

I'm not sure the AI would be able to cope so well with what you suggest but as a multiplayer campaign has potential.

Naval battles would also rock but thats just me.

I'd like to see the next TW set in Napoleonic times with some of the things you suggest.

Anyway, happy posting http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Hetman_Koronny
10-14-2003, 08:02
*bows*

My call for the next TW would be the continuation of MTW so it'd start after the fall of Constantinople and end somewhere half way down in 18th century, say from 1453 till 1743.

There's been several huge wars over that time in Europe and we've seen empires rise and then fall. That is my favorite part of European history.

EDIT: spell check.

*bows*

Icerian Rex
10-14-2003, 15:56
I think that one reason alot of these games haven't delved too much into the period where firearms were developing was a belief that things would simply be too one-dimensional (meaning: Ok, these guys are called Cossacks and these guys are called Hussars, but how much difference is there really? They both ride around on Horses and shoot guns, carry sabres, etc.... Also, until now, many companies haven't been able to adequately put these kinds of units on the battlefield and make them look realistic on a large scale.

I think the TW engine -could- accomplish it, and is well on it's way to doing so. I look no further than the previously mentioned Sid Meier's Gettysburgh. It was fun at the time, but for anyone who has played, could you imagine the same game but done using fully rendered units? To me, the idea is closer at hand than before. But, I'd still like to see things like supply lines come into play (not necessarily to the point of micromanagement, but at least enough to where if an armies off marching, it needs to figure out where food will be coming from.

Regarding the sounds and sights aspect of things, I believe that MTW has made great strides. I still think more can be done. I'll admit the first time I heard those crazy Egyptian horns blaring I had to grin. Same goes for the very realistic siege cannon sounds. Now, if they could just take that and expand on it: I want to hear the officers yelling orders. In english (or german/russian/french/whatever). I want to hear people screaming when they fall. I want a volley of cannon fire to shake the house. I want to see cavalry charging my fortified position at the edge of the woods... and get nervous.... and then all hell breaks loose... and I just catch glimpses of the horses running around amidst the smoke of the guns...

Yep, I'd say this could easily transfer to the Napoleanic Wars, or the Revolution...

So, how would water battles work?

Final thought on battles: One interesting way these battles could be waged would be for the commander to have a pop-up battle map. Rather than seeing everything on the battlefield (and this would be optional), a commander would only have information about what was right in front of them, apart from what information scouts sent back. Any ideas people?

Si GeeNa
10-15-2003, 05:51
Hi Rex,

I think that a Civil War approach might not be too popular. Not many enthusiasts in the entire market. As a vehicle of TotalWar, it might not have enough Critical Mass to be a viable product.

Still, i enjoy reading about the period. I have read Shaaras' books. Both father and son, as well as other histories of the era. Biographies and memoirs of Jackson, Grant and Forrest. I'm thinking of getting Foote's Histories... Any reccommendations? I'm more interested in the Eastern Theatre tho...

I've played CWG2. It was a good game. Pity about the bugs. Heard that they were about to make a Part 3, but scuppered the idea... Too bad.

Thanks.