PDA

View Full Version : slavs.

Reconquistador
10-16-2003, 15:23
hi all

im playing a game with the hungarians at the mo. and ive taken quite a few provinces so far in HA dominated battles.

aside from my HA army core im looking to actually building a defense for some of my provinces.

ive got quite a few of the slav warriors/javalin huys. are they any good? im still very early in the game.

will they hold against anythin or r they peasants with less clothes?

thx in advance

Snowhobbit
10-16-2003, 15:33
They are quite good, but you should try to replace them as you get better units...

lancer63
10-16-2003, 17:49
If I have learned one thing about this game is that no unit is so good as to stand alone and defeat everyone else (unless you mod it of course) and no unit is so bad as to have no use at all.
The Hungarians are one of the best factions of the game. Great cav units and high potential to get even better. Conquista Moldavia and start making Avar Nobles available only in early and worth every florin you throw at them.
Slav troops are very good early troops but don't over do it. They are outclassed pretty soon and may become a liability in the high era if your core troops are slav inf. and javs.
After early I use them as flankers, light inf. and, eventually, as fodder. They are quite useful in those jobs.
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Oaty
10-17-2003, 04:17
I always have slavic warriors in my army mainly for the fact IMHO they are the coolest looking unit in the game. Anyways a good use for them since they can move fast is to send them behind the lines once the engagment has begun and smash some baddies in the back, or go after archersl. Just make sure they have no immediate threat of cavalry and they can do quite a job. Plus with there nice speed they can help you catch units that your cavalry miss

Reconquistador
10-17-2003, 09:59
so their worth building as early units?

good im trying to tech up a bit at the mo but the bastard byzantines have huge numbers on my borders. oh well cheers for your posts

Brutal DLX
10-17-2003, 12:09
They are worth building as garrison units and to scare your opponents off from invading you, since they are cheap so you can build nice stacks and still have some surplus income. You will see the AI building lots of them, which is good for you, because besides a good charge, they have nothing working to their advantage. Use them like you would use woodsmen, but they have no business in the first line of battle.

The Wizard
10-17-2003, 12:29
Slavs are worth it in the beginning, especially if you hate to have to produce peasants, like me... but they need a bit of support to be able to fight to their full capacity. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Cazbol
10-17-2003, 12:34
They're not going to be much help against the Byzantines. You may have to turn to the inns to find something to match them. One use for the slav warriors is to send them after the archer heavy armies the AI often sends against you in the desert. No armour and fast speed can make them quite useful there.

The Wizard
10-17-2003, 12:59
True.

But against the surrounding rebels it'll do fine, if it's supported that is.

The_Emperor
10-17-2003, 13:05
Slav Warriors make good battlefodder, they put up a good fight where you need them to, much better than regular peasantry and urban militia in my view.

They make good, cheap units that can be slaughtered where you need them to be.

The Slav Javelinmen I have taken a shining to, Javelins can do a surprising amount of adamage to a unit in the opening engagement of a battle... Just don't expect them to do well in full on combat.

All in all Slav troops make for good, expendable troops and cheap garissons.

Doug-Thompson
10-17-2003, 23:03
They are vastly better than the peasants that fill early-age armies.

A higher proportion of them will be good governors, with more of then having higher acumen than peasant units.

They excel as garrison units, where high numbers at cheap cost is needed, but where some combat ability can come in handy. Also, a stack of them can pacify a rebellious province quite cost-effectively.

They're a good balance: More effective if a fight is forced on them than urban militia or peasants, while still economical.

Almohad Urban Militia, though, is still the best bang for the buck as a second-line unit.

A.Saturnus
10-17-2003, 23:18
In any case better than peasants. But you shouldn`t use the javeliners as Hungarian, Jobbagy are better.

The_Emperor
10-17-2003, 23:47
Quote[/b] (A.Saturnus @ Oct. 17 2003,23:18)]In any case better than peasants. But you shouldn`t use the javeliners as Hungarian, Jobbagy are better.
Jobbagy are better? I though they were just Peasants. I guess I need to look at the Stats

Quokka
10-18-2003, 10:24
Jobbagy are much better than Slav Javelinmen, not that I use either much. Javelinmen of all types with only 4 shots become worthless way to quickly.
As Hungarians better to sit back and tech up Hungary to Szekely, then all your problems are nearly over. Get Moldavia, you can build Avar Nobles there in early and Szekely later on.
Slav Warriors are growing on me. At first glimpse they looked like more peasant fodder but I now have them in my armies at all times. They are good flankers as stated and for some bizarre reason many have high acumen as Doug-Thompson has also noticed. They make excellent garrison units and decent seige units, either for sitting it out so you don't lose front line troops or for storming the castle as a full stack is cheap to build and they are cheap and easy to replace. A very good versatile unit.

The Wizard
10-18-2003, 10:30
Well, obviously they make better conscripts than most do. Like woodsmen, for instance. *cough*