PDA

View Full Version : the bloody scotts are coming sir..

vlad_demstra
10-19-2003, 15:40
grrrr... I don't know if I just even deal with them now. Every year we fight. Rebels come, I kill.. Used to be rather easy. Now there coming in 3-4 stacks..

The Wizard
10-19-2003, 16:05
Nasty... I once invaded from Northumbria, managing, by getting up to a higher point than they were, to chase them off the mountain, charge, and slaughter them through height advantage. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

vlad_demstra
10-19-2003, 22:18
O the battles arnt a problem.. I just hate fighting them ever friggin year to keep scottland

vlad_demstra
10-19-2003, 22:20
O the battles arnt a problem.. I just hate fighting them ever friggin year to keep scottland. but it is rather fun have rebel ruin ya life lol

ChaosDrake
10-20-2003, 00:05
hi vlad
to avoid that problem be sure you have enough troops to keep the province loyalty above 100% better 150 - 200%(build peasents they dont cost much) and build in the first round the border keep and in the second the upgrade(that raised the the loyalty) and keep every round an eye on this province to observe the loyalty and as soon as possible sent an emmissry and a bishop in this province and you will never get a rebellion there and at last use a gouvernor who had much dread and for your income acumen.
hope i helped you http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

bighairyman
10-20-2003, 04:09
if ur rich, hire some good mercanries, like druin cavlry, rus spearmen and some nice heavy cavalryb to run down those bloddy scots http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

seghillian
10-20-2003, 11:46
I hardly ever have rebellions, and keep a careful eye on the loyalty levels just before turn end. I'll adjust taxes or increase the garrison to ensure no-one goes into revolt. One thing I've noticed with this - never send your king off on a frolic from which he may not easily return (ie due to there being no port to get back with) otherwise the whole empire suffers a big loyalty drop. I tend to build peasants in many provinces for garrison duties, 1 or 2 in most provinces, sometimes 3 in especially rebellious areas. They're cheap, and if I get the odd high acumen general amonst them, I know he won't be lost as he will never go to war.

Of course, people play the game in different ways and I understand some folk like rebellions so they can build up their valour and command levels by beating up the rebels every turn. Interesting strategy, but for me I like to build up my generals by taking new provinces rather than retaking the old ones.

MonkeyMan
10-20-2003, 12:22
Hi vlad_demstra, I get the feeling sometimes that the size of a rebel stack has a lot to do with the power of your occupying force, i.e. they rebel with enough to do the job. You might want to try leaving only 100 troops in scotland, with a large stack in Northumbria to move in if trouble starts. Eventually, assuming you don't lose it at any point, it will have been under your control long enough that rebellions will happen less frequently if at all. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

vlad_demstra
10-20-2003, 15:24
thanks all.. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif this info has been a great help. For all you english or scottish people, Did the scotts really fight this heard for the freedom? I was told that breaveheart was a loud of crap. just wondering since we are on the topic on scottish rebels http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Doug-Thompson
10-20-2003, 16:00
Yes, the Scots were a lot of trouble, I'm proud to say. There's a Scottish independence movement to this day.

==============

Here's something so simple, you probably know already.

Click on the province revenue button. The round one with the gold coins. It shows all the provinces, their revenue and their loyalty levels.

Now, click on the word loyalty. Poof -- all your provinces are arranged from most loyal to least loyal. You can now scroll to the bottom and see where your problems are.

(Same thing works by clicking revenue. They'll be sorted from richest to poorest. Also works with rank or number of troops in the military commander menu, or with unit time, province or valor in the special agents menu.)

You need a loyalty level of at least 120 to avoid rebellions from famines, etc.

==========

Note that great big stacks of garrison troops often don't cure rebelliousness as much as sweep it under the rug. Move a big stack, and you'll often find a very rebellious province.

Lowering the taxes to the floor cures rebelliousness better than anything, but could take several turns before you can raise taxes again. Some provinces, including Scottish ones, can never fully be trusted.

King John II
10-20-2003, 17:22
Braveheart was not too far off beam.

England became unified under a strong king earlier than Scotland. The (disunited) Scotish clans were fiercely independant for a long time. They were, perhaps, unlucky in having a succession of kings reach the throne in infancy or boyhood.

In any event during that time the Scots fought each other or the English with equal enthusiasm.

Eventually Elizabeth I of England died unmarried and in 1603 the Scottish king, James the son of Mary Queen of Scots, peacefully inherited the English throne adding the title James I of England to that of James VI of Scotland.

Thereafter England and Scotland shared a monarch and eventually, in 1706, the two kindoms agreed to merge to form the United Kingdom (the UK).

The fact that Scotland and England had come to have the same king, nor even the subsequent development of agreeing to unite, did not have the effect of quietening the Scots.

On the contrary they delighted in rebelling. So they marched into England against Charles I after he did badly against the Spanish, then marched in again to support him when he fell out with the English parliament. Later both kingdoms, which were predominantly protestant, came to fear that their catholic ruling house was going to attempt to restore catholicism. So William of Orange was invited to come over from Holland to become king. Which he did. James II of England (James VII of Scotland) fled without putting up a fight. Whereupon the rebelious factions in Scotland began plotting with James and then with his son, Bonny Prince Charlie. There were armed uprisings of sorts in both 1715 and 1745. Which led to severe repression of the Scots.

Whether because of the savagery of the repression after 1745 (the Scottish highlands were virtually depopulated) or because of rapid economic change and improvement to communications trouble, between Scots and English faded after that.

Despite agreeing to unite, the two regions kept their separate systems of law and each continues to cherish a distinctive culture and tradition. But fellow feeling has come to replace rebeliousness.

That process has been apparent even during my own lifetime. When I was a boy the annual soccer match between England and Scotland was the most keenly contested sporting fixture in the callendar. But to-day the match does not even take place.

I would say the game gets it right in making both Scotland and Ireland prone to rebellions, but Ireland even more than Scotland.

brent_james
10-21-2003, 01:50
Quote[/b] (vlad_demstra @ Oct. 20 2003,09:24)]thanks all.. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif this info has been a great help. For all you english or scottish people, Did the scotts really fight this heard for the freedom? I was told that breaveheart was a loud of crap. just wondering since we are on the topic on scottish rebels http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Braveheart represented battles that really did happen, and showed the real results.

Loose Cannon
10-21-2003, 03:42
generals w/ high dread in a province prevent rebelions; thus generals who execute a lot accumulate dread. remember:
might is right, from Morte'd Arthur. simply done. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

The Wizard
10-21-2003, 10:12
It seems to me that most of my generals have low dread... Then again, any rebel fools will be immediately wiped out and their leaders executed, and if I have a bad day they'll all die.

Nowake
10-21-2003, 11:04
One word for the thread starter: spies

Glor13
11-02-2003, 23:47
Well the battle result where correct but how they were fought are not entirely accurate. If i remeber correctly in the battle of Falkirk it was won by Edward making extremely good use of archers and heavy cavalary. Wallace had put schilirons(guys with large spears) into four units. The english archers advanced and shot at short range while heavy clavary marched around. The scots where afraid to charge after the archers beacuse of the calvary. Edward eventually finished the battle by deciding on the right time to charge with his calv.
Althrough the west of the story is reasonably accurate. Edward I was a ruthless ruler who was a remarkable military skills. His son Edward II was a complete retard. Edward II wife was a cunning lady who lead to Edward II being removed from the throne and there son Edward III crown King. Which by the movie braveheart would of been william wallaces son. Edward III is credited as being one of the greatest military leaders and responsible for starting the 100 year war with france.

hellenes
11-02-2003, 23:57
But Edward's II wife was as beautiful as in the movie?

The_Emperor
11-03-2003, 00:11
Quote[/b] (King John II @ Oct. 20 2003,17:22)]I would say the game gets it right in making both Scotland and Ireland prone to rebellions, but Ireland even more than Scotland.
Ireland is more Prone to rebellion? Compared to Scotland in the game Ireland is a Cakewalk to keep down with the Required 100 man Garisson... Scotland always needs more troops and a couple of Spies.

Papewaio
11-03-2003, 00:48
Everytime you get a rebellion it gets stronger... there is some sort of counter and it may get reset by some events.

Either take Scotland properly or leave it alone or use it as a training ground for low star generals / princes of dubious natures.

Take it properly:
100+ Garrison
Provincial ruler with +ve happiness virtues or high dread
loyalty >150%... should aim for 200% for at least 10 years in a rebellious province (portugal as well).
Border Forts
Spies

Use them all and it won't rebel.

Hamburglar
11-03-2003, 01:15
In real life the French princess was a child too young to be married during the events that transpired during Braveheart. They just added that stuff in to reel in the chicks who hoped for romance.

bighairyman
11-03-2003, 04:44
didn't ppl in medieval europe marry young because of the low life expatance http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

brent_james
11-03-2003, 06:04
Quote[/b] (Wizzy @ Oct. 21 2003,04:12)]It seems to me that most of my generals have low dread... Then again, any rebel fools will be immediately wiped out and their leaders executed, and if I have a bad day they'll all die.
kill them on the battlefield so your general gets more dread

king steven
11-04-2003, 11:54
when i'm playing the english & i want 2 invade scotland all i do is build an inn in northumber (spelling)