View Full Version : how do you play by email

dessa14
10-20-2003, 03:23
hey guys i don't know how to play by email could you tell me thanks dessa

Demon of Light
10-20-2003, 06:56
Example:

General Idea

Let's say I start a game as the French in the Early period. I play the game for the duration of Phillippe II's life. I create a thread in this forum advertising the beginning of a new game. I set rules down and usually people post on the thread expressing a desire to continue the game. A list is compiled and each person on the list plays for as long as their monarch lives. The game is then passed on to the next person on the list and so it goes. You can either create or join a game.

Technical Side

From my e-mail, (albertmaldonado@blabla.com) I send a zipped version of the game to the next in line(DrAppleton@blabla.co.uk).

How did I zip it?

Good question. I got a copy of winzip or winrar, went to the game icon(C/programfiles/totalwar/medievaltotalewar/savegames/KingofFrance) and right clicked. If I have Winrar or Winzip, there will be an option for compressing the file. I select that option and create KingofFrance.zip.(or KingofFrance.rar)

How did I send it?

Good question. I sent the file as an attachment in the e-mail. Different e-mails (yahoo,hotmail,AOL) will do this differently but generally what you do is click attachments click browse and select KingofFrance.zip(where ever it may be). Attach file and send.

Any questions?

Drucius
10-20-2003, 21:03
The file that is sent is the savegame file - which ends in a .cpg suffix.

It's great fun, but the weight of expectation can be daunting because if you muck up, it's the guy that comes after you that has to clear up the mess (hopefully).

The Wizard
10-20-2003, 21:25
Yes, but that makes it more interesting. It really creates a sort of Royal dynasty... take the example of Henry V nearly winning the 100 Year's War, but his followers destroying his efforts through bad decisions, arrogance, and neglect. There weren't only good kings you know. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Monk
10-21-2003, 00:27
No two Kings will play the same, and it is that fact that makes it fun.

Each person who takes up a PBM will play differently from the last. For example, In the turkish campaign Sinan carved out a sizable empire in his reign. following him I spent most of my reign improving the conquored provinces and improving the commoner's faith in the Crown. As well as dealing with religious zealots and having to fend off his enemies, it proved to be very fun, even with limited combat.

and if for any reason one player does muck up, then it tends to restore fun within the game, giving the next guy in line something to do while he rules. Let's say M (lets call the first king m) starts a war with the spanish, the war drags on and the empire ends up losing half their land to their enemy, and if that wasn't enough M dies. The new player N now has the task of rebuilding the half broken empire, and fending of a dangerous enemy. (now tell me thats not fun http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif )

Finally, and quite possibly the best part of the PBMs, the Write ups, or After action reports (AAR) as they sometimes are called. These serve to explain in detail all that your ruler faced, both his victories and defeats. These are completly made by you (the player) and are posted to the .org as you see fit, there's really no time limit or rush involved in putting them up, I got two in work as of now myself http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif . However they do serve to add a peice of flavor to the mtw world, and adding to it a great deal imho. Write ups are optional but they do tend to be fun to make, and most the time very entertaining to read.