PDA

View Full Version : trade.... how?

handyandy
10-20-2003, 16:56
how do you trade? i now you have to get a boat on its own in each terratry of see between your country and the other coutry buyt then what? is the a unit you need to build? if so what do you need to build it?

Basicly please help i don't know how to trade.

Hetman_Koronny
10-20-2003, 17:10
*bows*

You need to build a Merchant or better in the province with access to sea and a port.. Having tradable goods in the province seems necessary, too.

Also, pay attention to your trading routes as they can get blocaded by enemy ships of a power you're at war with.

*bows*

Jeebus_Frist
10-20-2003, 17:24
Hey handyandy

Looks like you finally got the game Good for you http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

You need a port and a trader/merchant in a province with tradable goods. Then place a ship in each sea between your province with the port/merchant and a friendly foreign province with a port. You can trade with any province with a port in allied/neutral countries. In order to make certain that your trade route remains unblocked you can press the V key and it will highlight every visible sea section in one of three colors: Green means you have a ship there and the province is friendly, Yellow means that the section is neutral and if you place a ship there it will turn green, red means that an enemy has a ship there and trading past that province is blocked. You should be able to make a ton of money trading Good luck http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

handyandy
10-20-2003, 17:25
cheers. So you just need to biuld a building not a unit. and it will automaticly trde with them will it?

Doug-Thompson
10-20-2003, 17:28
Step 1: Build a trader, the little domed building with a florin next to it. That alone will create a little local trade.

Step 2: Build a harbor. Step one and step two can be switched, and probably should be. Harbors help you move troops.

Step 3: Build a ship chain, an unbroken string of ships to another nation's province that has a harbor and a trader in it.

Note that if you have linen, for instance, and the other nation's province has nothing but linen either, there will be no trade.Why should he trade his linen for yours?

Any break in the ship chain, however brief, will ruin your trade. for instance, moving a ship in such a way as to create a temporary gap will disrupt things. Enemy ships that refuse to stand and fight but move from sea to sea along your routes are a real pain. Storms that sink one of your ships are a problem, too.

If you can more troops to a province, you can trade with it IF tthe connected provinces have traders, harbors and a variety of goods.

Step 4: Keep expanding and improving your trade network.

Two ships per sea will solve the storm problem. More harbors will reduce the maintenance costs. I sometimes conquer Ireland or Norway, for instance, just to have a harbor to reduce the costs of maintaining fleets when most of my empire is in the Mediterranean.

Doug-Thompson
10-20-2003, 20:22
Quote[/b] (Jeebus_Frist @ Oct. 20 2003,11:24)]Hey handyandy

In order to make certain that your trade route remains unblocked you can press the V key and it will highlight every visible sea section in one of three colors: Green means you have a ship there and the province is friendly, Yellow means that the section is neutral and if you place a ship there it will turn green, red means that an enemy has a ship there and trading past that province is blocked.
The stuff I still don't know about this game amazes me. Sure didn't know that one.

Fired up my loaded game and tried it out. I was going to expand into the Adriatic. Not anymore. I'm going up the Bay of Biscay and through the Channel instead.

DeadRunner
10-20-2003, 20:37
nice a learned a new thing thx Jeebus_Frist

handyandy
10-20-2003, 20:41
nice little short cut there. Are the any others you wish to relesh? Slightly OT can any one recomend which of the downloadable guides i should well download. Bere in mind i have just started but have got to grips with the basics.

King John II
10-21-2003, 16:33
The V shortcut was introduced with the 1.1 patch. The Z, X and C keys are shortcuts too which toggle units and buildings to be visible or hidden as an aid to locating things on the map which can get rather cluttered.

I rather think the developers included these features in the patch as a result of players posting, here and elsewhere.

Nothing to suggest on the guides. I have read through a lot of threads on this board and the official board (both have good archives) and I have printed off some particularly useful stuff. The tech tree that comes with the game is very poor and there is a better one on one of the sites - forgotten which. That is worth having.

Incidentally any AI country with whom you are not at war and which has a port automatically becomes a trading partner in the turn after your ship chain reaches the area of sea into which its port debouches. It does not have to have a trading post.

The very small income you get from imports would require an AI country to have a merchant. But that, as has been said, is not the significant aspect of trade.

Doug-Thompson
10-21-2003, 16:53
That V hotkey is extremely useful. One key and you know the position of every enemy fleet that you can attack.

ToranagaSama
10-21-2003, 21:25
Quote[/b] (handyandy @ Oct. 20 2003,15:41)]nice little short cut there. Are the any others you wish to relesh? Slightly OT can any one recomend which of the downloadable guides i should well download. Bere in mind i have just started but have got to grips with the basics.
I know MTW can be overwhelming, at first, but you don't need a guide, just experiement and have fun doing so. Most people just start a campaign, learn a few things, quit and start another campaign, learn a few more things, quit and start another, learn more, quit and start another. Its all in the fun. May take 3, 4 or even 5 campaign starts, before finally completing one.

If you didn't know, check the Table of Contents (TOC) in the Main Hall. It has the answers to, probably, every conceivable question and scenario. Much wisdom to be found.

Good Luck http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Have Fun

frogbeastegg
10-21-2003, 23:20
Quote[/b] (handyandy @ Oct. 20 2003,20:41)]nice little short cut there. Are the any others you wish to relesh? Slightly OT can any one recomend which of the downloadable guides i should well download. Bere in mind i have just started but have got to grips with the basics.

beginners guide to total war (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=9203)

It says beginners but it does intermediate and some advanced stuff too. The table of contents is also highly recommended.

Razor1952
10-22-2003, 00:37
Hi all, sea trade is the way to become a millionaire, capture the sea provinces with multiple trade goods(like sweden/antioch/venice/constant.. etc build ships +++ and watch the $'s roll in, you can make >10k florins/year in one of these provinces, once you have your war chest then KKND(krush/kill/n/destroy) have fun.

bighairyman
10-22-2003, 02:51
to trade , u need 3 things. actually 4, but u can do anything about the 4th.

u need first a port, a merchant, ships and trade iteams

Cheetah
10-22-2003, 11:59
Here is a link to the
Table of Contents (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=3823)

check out the Trade and Income section. Naval warfare section can be also very useful http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif