PDA

View Full Version : A request from Loose Cannon plz read moderators

Loose Cannon
10-22-2003, 03:55
In the order of compiling a grand strategic manual, i would desire to talk with the moderators, and have their permission to do so.
I also request access to the tools necessary in order to compile this work, and instructions on how to acquire tools outside of The Org's resources.

My email is wischkowsky@sbcglobal.net contact me soon

shand994
10-22-2003, 04:12
What is it you wnat exactly??

Permission to post a guide?

you can post whatever you want as long as it within the guildines of the org's forum rules.

Tools?

Don't you have a copy of MS Word?

Loose Cannon
10-22-2003, 05:04
oh cool... if its good enough can i post it on other sections of the forums??

shand994
10-22-2003, 05:12
I don't see why not, if it relates to that section of the forum.

What i suggest is to go back through all the threads on here, there have been a lot of really good strategy thread's in the past.

Gregoshi
10-23-2003, 06:17
Yeah LC, check out A Beginner's Guide... (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=9203) by frogbeastegg. At the time froggywrote this she was a patron like yourself with dreams like yourself.

frogbeastegg
10-23-2003, 16:04
Ah yes, those far off days when I was just a patron with a dream....a dream of writing a guide to answer every newbie question on MTW.

As for tools all you really need is Microsoft Word for text and Paintshop Pro (or similar) to edit any screenshots you wish to include. The org's forum coding allows you to put the two together very easily and the finished result does look quite good. Editing the forum version is a nightmare though - looking for a specific line in 40 pages of stuff is not fun.

If you need something which is not normally available on the org just ask. My original guide didn't have pictures and was half the size of the current version. The forum code got altered so the posts could double in size and a space was created for me to upload and manage my pictures. I know if I need anything else (with in reason of course) all I need do is ask.

As for where to put the guide, well that does depend on the contents. I would recommend the Main Hall for a MTW guide or the Sword Dojo for a STW guide, the Entrance Hall has such a high turnover it will vanish from sight in seconds unless it is stickied. However the Entrance Hall has so many stickies your guide will not stand out and the target audience will often overlook it.

As a friendly tip from a veteran make sure you know what you are getting in to I thought my guide would be done in a week - a couple of days to write it and a few more to update and correct it. I was correct about the day to write it however I just updated the guide again today and it was first posted on July 24th. When ever you think it is done someone will point out an omission or error, ask for something to be included or just generally spoil your peaceful afternoon http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

If you need advice/help from someone else crazy enough to undertake writing a guide feel free to ask me either by PM or by posting here on the org (I read almost everything in the Entrance Hall, Main Hall, Sword Dojo and Mead Hall). Good luck.