PDA

View Full Version : STW/WLE Online Ends In February?

Methos6848
10-22-2003, 06:41
I would've posted this at the proper thread, at the Sword Dojo, had I been allowed to do so. Sadly, none of this is speculation. I posted the following at the Total War forums earlier today:

I was really surprised to have discovered this, last Sunday, whilst perusing a local EB. I picked up the Warlord edition, roughly a month ago, new sans the box, in a jewel case. I've been tempted to pick up a boxed version, just cause I love the game so and a backup would'nt be a bad idea. I studied the box because I wanted to know if it contained a print version of the brilliant and aesthetically pleasing PDF manual. That was when I discovered the following, in tiny print, on the bottom of the box:

*Online gameplay fo Shogun: Total War Warlord Edition will be available only through 2/12/04 subject to online terms of use and all feautures may not be available at the time of purchase. Please check online at www.totalwar.com for more information and terms of use.

I was able to qoute that because I checked last night and the very words on the box are also found, in even smaller print, on the back of the WLE jewel case.

I've come to thoroughly enjoy multiplayer online games. The caliber and character of everyone I've encountered playing online has, so far, been fantastic It would be a shame if we Shogun enthusiasts were denied sharing our enthusiasm and disallowed to continue our brilliant battles. Sure, Shogun might be an old game, but it's a great game and deserves to offer a lengthy online experience for old and new players alike.

I'm pretty surprised that I'm the only one, thus far, to have replied to this alarming bit of news, as posted by Shcassacazz.
Those of us who persist in playing Shogun online should look into what we can do to extend this wretched and fast coming deadline for the termination of online play. I, for one, would hate to see online play cease.

dessa14
10-22-2003, 11:11
maybe if we were to nag the total war guys they would release a patch allowing us to use direct tcp/ip connection
thanks dessa

Brutal DLX
10-22-2003, 11:26
That would be a bummer indeed Any official who can confirm this?
Has the license agreement with EA run out or what?

Jochi Khan
10-22-2003, 17:07
Hi all

Check the post in the Sword Dojo on this subject.
You will see some explanations including Fakeserver
which was operated when EA had problems last year.

......Jochi

Gregoshi
10-23-2003, 04:10
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif Welcome Methos. Greetings to you. The news you bear is sad indeed. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif I'd not heard it before.

Methos6848
10-23-2003, 06:21
Thanks for the warm welcome Gregoshi My apologies for bearing ill tidings with my first post on this forum. I'm new to Total War, having only recently been introduced to Shogun Total War. The online games are even more fun than single player...the human factor makes all the difference in the world It would be a horrible pity to see such an online epic fade away. I say keep the legacy going, from time period to time period If Ancient Rome, Feudal Japan and Feudal Europe can share a library, then why not the world wide web?? All the more reason with the web, as to some slight degree, it makes all those foregone periods come alive in our imaginations. When Rome is unleashed, I shall involve myself with equal fervor, as I'm enamored of the period and it's rich history. Yet, it would pain me to see Shogun fall by the way side.

Methos6848
10-23-2003, 06:23
Thanks for the warm welcome Gregoshi My apologies for bearing ill tidings with my first post on this forum. I'm new to Total War, having only recently been introduced to Shogun Total War. The online games are even more fun than single player...the human factor makes all the difference in the world It would be a horrible pity to see such an online epic fade away. I say keep the legacy going, from time period to time period If Ancient Rome, Feudal Japan and Feudal Europe can share a library, then why not the world wide web?? All the more reason with the web, as to some slight degree, it makes all those foregone periods come alive in our imaginations. When Rome is unleashed, I shall involve myself with equal fervor, as I'm enamored of the period and it's rich history. Yet, it would pain me to see Shogun fall by the way side.

Gregoshi
10-23-2003, 06:27
There is alway the Fake Server route to keep STW alive. Though we can always hope for a STW2. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Orda Khan
10-23-2003, 23:17
Something will transpire....the Great Spectacle that was Shogun Total War will continue. I honestly believe that it outshines MTW and it will out shine RTW. The tangled web that was the Japanese theme will never be matched..

.....Orda

Jeebus_Frist
10-24-2003, 00:15
Quote[/b] (Orda Khan @ Oct. 23 2003,17:17)]Something will transpire....the Great Spectacle that was Shogun Total War will continue. I honestly believe that it outshines MTW and it will out shine RTW. The tangled web that was the Japanese theme will never be matched..

.....Orda
Just imagine if they would revisit the far east with the new RTW engine. Japan, Mongolia, China, Korea, perhaps even as far west as India. Now that is a game I would pay dearly for http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Orda Khan
10-24-2003, 16:34
Now we are talking...

....Orda