PDA

View Full Version : CA licensing their Medieval/Rome TW engines?

Furunculus
10-22-2003, 15:05
hi all,

i've lurked at the Guild forum for well over a year but only recently joined.

i love M:TW and and certain R:TW will be just as much fun, but, i would like to see the genre go further.

The open ended play of the turn based strategy map is where most of the fun is for me, so its a great shame that only CA seem to employ such a unique game style. i for one would love to see a fantasy themed game based on a CA engine and mechanics. book series such as Feists Midkemia offer a history rich with the expansion and regression of empires and would make a superb setting for a Total War type game.

so what i'm asking is; will CA license their engine, and has any games company shown interest in such a license for the purpose of doing what i outlined above?

two other small questions:
1) whats this middle earth mod for M:TW i saw mentioned in someones post?
2) would someone answer the mournful question that resides in my sig?

cheers

furunculus

Gregoshi
10-23-2003, 04:04
Greetings, oh long time lurker furunculus. Thanks for stepping out of the shadows and into the light.

I can't recall the game(s), but I think there are one or two games in the works which are very TW-like. I believe one of them is a Lord of the Rings game.
As far as I know, there hasn't been any licensing of the TW engine, but then, what do I know?

1) Middle Earth: Total War is an awesome looking mod in the works. The team creating it has released a beta version featuring Rohan and Isengard. The beta only allows custom battles if I'm not mistaken, but they are working on a whole campaign. The campaign map is gorgeous.

2) We simply don't know and CA ain't sayin', so I hears tell.

Furunculus
10-23-2003, 11:49
cheers for the response,
lets hope this Middle Earth mod is as promising as it appears given the lack of other avenues for hope.

on a different note: any idea whether CA will enable multiplayer campaigns rather than just battles for R:TW?

Nowake
10-23-2003, 12:56
he already answered ... we really don't know, and CA doesn't give us much to hope for.

Furunculus
10-23-2003, 13:20
Quote[/b] (pr Fire @ Oct. 23 2003,06:56)]he already answered ... we really don't know, and CA doesn't give us much to hope for.
quite so, my apologies. considering R:TW is now due fall 04 i guess i'd better get back to M:TW, and maybe try out this MEDmod thing if i can find any info on it?

cheers.

furunculus

Gregoshi
10-25-2003, 05:56
Head over to the Dungeon - Alchemist lab forum and look for the topic on MedMod 3.12 (the latest if you have MTW & VI).