PDA

View Full Version : Some random thoughts

davidky5
10-27-2003, 12:27
Here are some random thoughts that occurred to me.

1. There should be some middle eastern and african province with iron. Syria should have one to reflect its fine quality of Damascus sword, for example. As of now, iron seems to be just clustered in Spain and Eastern germany/hungary.

2. Someone mentioned conquistadores and chinese dynastic total war for the future. I think it would be cooler to have Mongols: Total War. It would be fun to roam all the way from Mongolia to China to Japan, and to Russia, Europe, and to England. Of course, the game would be too big, and balancing between countless nations would be troublesome, but it would still be fun to play the world in grander scale.

3. I think corner is way too easy to defend. One should have constant rebellions in corner provinces(scotland, khazar, syria, arabia, and africa etc.) to give it a more challenge. I think Sahara should be a permanent rebel country where units can come out of the territory, but can't get into it.

4. I think the game should take account of the stray arrow. I think archers should make a fabulous ambusher if they fire on the enemies from the forest. It should panick the enemy, and accuracy penalty should not be so severe.

5. Diplomacy should be more complex. Sometimes, I wish I had a choice to force the enemies into paying large sums of tributes for keeping my troops behind the border. It would be also more fun and challenging if the remaining factions all ally against one superior faction if the latter becomes too powerful. This way, they would not self-destruct by fighting amongst each other when there is a much superior foe waiting to grab them all. i.e. The Anti-Mongol Alliance.

This is not my wishlist. It is purely some of my rambling thoughts. Post yours two cents too, or comment about mine. I like to read some cool thoughts and ideas.

Brutal DLX
10-27-2003, 12:41
Oh well, I modded my game to include Iron deposits in Syria and Smolensk, so any faction could get access to Iron rich provinces without going to great lengths in conquering.

I also think Asia should be revisited, perhaps with focus on China and India.

Map edges are indeed easy to defend, but there are few, most can be accessed by shipping. Only the players have the strategic intelligence to continually guard their coastline, that's where most of the easiness feel comes from, AI factions can be invaded from the sea, just need a little planning. The Sahara thought is very interesting, but possible hard to mod, I don't know...also it would affect adjacent faction much more than those living in secure regions.

Perhaps, but I think missile fire out of a forest is still doing its job, especially due to the morale malus it inflicts upon the enemy troops.

Yes, there are lots of ways to upgrade diplomacy, in fact it is already better compared to Shogun, and I hope there will be another progress in Rome, eg Military alliances, movement through allied territory, proposals from you or by AI players to attack a certain province together...
And about the superpower, did it never happen to you that everybody was at war with you once your empire was the biggest? Same normally happens when an AI empire gets too big. They would be lucky to have even one ally by then...

Nowake
10-27-2003, 12:53
2. Someone mentioned conquistadores and chinese dynastic total war for the future. I think it would be cooler to have Mongols: Total War. It would be fun to roam all the way from Mongolia to China to Japan, and to Russia, Europe, and to England. Of course, the game would be too big, and balancing between countless nations would be troublesome, but it would still be fun to play the world in grander scale.

Well, this is what everyone here dreams, mongols free to conquer the world and large cavalry charges http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

The Blind King of Bohemia
10-27-2003, 13:01
I think after Rome they should go back and revisit Dark Age/Medieval Times/Renaissance (800-1600 say) with the Rome engine. I feel the Medieval times deserved the ultimate warfare treatment. This time though they have a map of the known world, from Ireland to Japan and Finland to mid-Africa. That way you could have the Mongols sweeping across Asia and Europe, or maybe creating your own European Shogun Empire. This time though it could have elephants too, realistic castle sieges and naval warfare. And in 1492, the New World is added to the map, and the fearsome Native warriors of the region (aztecs, mayas, incas) are encountered, as are the Conquistadors. This would make an awesome game.