PDA

View Full Version : Downloading problem...please help!!!!!!

SNAPCASE
10-28-2003, 15:29
hi all, I have tried to download the mods that are available on the main page, but every time i am sent to the 3ddownload site, and every time i click on the start downloading button i am unable to download because it seems to freeze, the pop-up screen that comes up say that it is supposed to refresh after 60 seconds, everytime i have retried downloading the file i wait at least for 10 minutes, when most of the times the waiting cue time it 7 minutes or something, yet it never refreshes. What i wish to ask is that, obviously this place has some serious problems, so is there an alternative site that has mods that you can download? are theer any other fan based MTW sites? please help because this is really irritating, and i have no problems with my browser setting that i am sure of. the file I am after in particular is middle east map mod can someone please tell me an alternative to getting this map mod please. thanks.

SNAPCASE
10-28-2003, 16:50
Ok i have finnally managed to work out how to download the file from crappy 3ddownloads, by manyally refreshing the pop-up page. this is so annoying. the estimated time for downloading the 1.8 mb file is 17 minutes it has now been 1 hour of pressing the F5 button to refresh the page, and i am still waiting. this is truly ridiculous. I think Totalwar.org needs to find a different download host...someone more like fileplanet, at least you don't get ridculous problems like this. yup, i know what everyone will say...oh but you have to register so friggin what. change you host to fileplanet, 3ddownload is just simply crap. I am so annoyed its unbelievable, and I have this feeling that the file I am downloading is going to be crap too because there is not enough discription about the file itself. I have to say compared to other modding communities this has been the most strangest of the lot. the mods give really poor discriptions, really poor download hosts. arrrgggghhhhhh.... I can't believe I am still in the queue waiting. please please change your download host. they are just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooo crap

Lord Of Storms
10-28-2003, 17:01
Welcome SNAPCASE,The maker of the mod in question is SirNateofWessex here is his website www.geocities.com/gpinfoservices he was hosting the mod there some time back, you will have to check and see, you could also find his e-mail if you look up his profile, and theres also pinned topic regarding optimal settings for the 3d download page that might be of some help

SNAPCASE
10-28-2003, 17:19
hi, after 1 hour and 15 minutes i have managed to finally download the file. I wish to ask before i start attempting to install this mod, whether it is compatible with viking invasion. Sorry, if i sounded rude, but you try and wait for 1 hour and 15 minutes pressing the F5 button to refresh the page ever 60 seconds, and tell me how you feel. i can tell you it is a true test of patience which i do not have.

SNAPCASE
10-28-2003, 17:26
ok there is a problem i have encoutered in the read me it says that i am supposed to back-up several files. However, the following files that i am asked to back-up do not exist.

a. C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\MapTex.tga
b. C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\MapTex2.tga
c. C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\LukMap.Lbm
d. C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\LukMap2.Lbm

what do i do, can i still install the mod, or is it because i have installed VI:MTW that it has over-written these files? thnaks for whatever asssitance you can give.

Wellington
10-28-2003, 18:23
Quote[/b] (SNAPCASE @ Oct. 28 2003,10:26)]ok there is a problem i have encoutered in the read me it says that i am supposed to back-up several files. However, the following files that i am asked to back-up do not exist.

a. C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\MapTex.tga
b. C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\MapTex2.tga
c. C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\LukMap.Lbm
d. C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\LukMap2.Lbm

what do i do, can i still install the mod, or is it because i have installed VI:MTW that it has over-written these files? thnaks for whatever asssitance you can give.
I presume the problem is that this specific mod was written for MTW 1.1 and not VI. Therefore the file structures refered to in this mod are unsuitable for VI

The reason is that when CA released the VI expansion for MTW they changed the actual structures as well - effectively ensuring that almost every single mod produced for MTW 1.1 would no longer be compatable for VI.

Thus, the VI expansion was not an expansion in the true sense of the word but rather a change everything approach. In terms of file structures and locations of files this, of course, makes a huge (and totally unnecessary) difference if you are interested in modding.

Unfortunately, this makes MTW 1.1 and VI compatability a complete nightmare for both modders and recipients of mods alike ...

.. as you have found to your cost http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

SNAPCASE
10-28-2003, 20:20
argghhh...words just can't describe how I feel now. I guess i should have asked this compatibilty issue before i started downloading, but I did not imagine it would be a problem. it only occured to me that i might have a problem with this mod when i read somewhere that someone had experienced problems installing a mod with VI. So when i checked to see that those files were non existant i guess it just confirmed it, but there was a little wishful thinking in hoeping that this mod might not have any conflictions, especially when it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to download the mod and to download it manually. ok, I am off to crack my head against a wall...see you guys in another life, as there will be little chance of me surviving what i will do to myself. arrrggghhh..i just can't believe it. thanks anyway for your help guys. thanks.