View Full Version : The Masters of the World

Monk
12-16-2003, 19:42
well ok here it is, hope u enjoy.

Some notes to readers about unit type

Vestiaritae = Byzantine Infantry
Vardiriots = Byzantine Cavalry
Psiloi = Tebizond Archers
Stratiofari = I think Byz lancers, not to sure.

Ok first off, you will notice I call the Byzantine Empire, the Roman empire. Well that is what they considered themselves; Roman. Later on i will begin calling them Byzantines, but here at the start they call themselves Romans, therefore so shall I. Please stick with me here, this first chapter is a bit well plain. But it gets better in the next so...yeah.

Prologue

The Eastern Roman Empire, its history is filled with both victory and defeat. Ever since the fall of Rome and the death of the last Western Emperor in 476 A.D, the East has tried desperately to reclaim its lost lands and reinstate the glory of lost days. Over the course of the one hundred years the empire took back Italy, Sardinia, and parts of Northern Africa including Carthage. However time was working against them, and soon the Romans where pushed out of their holdings, and the Empire's wealth began to wane.

In Italy the Normans drove out the Romans, leaving them with only holds on the coast, and even those havens were under constant raid. The Arabs in Africa effectively ended Roman rule there by destroying Carthage. Along with the loss of Egypt, the Sinai, Palestine, the Roman Empire was on the brink of collapse. As if things were not bad enough, at the battle of Manzikrert, the Romans suffered a crushing defeat at the Hands of the Seljuk Turks and they were forced to pull out of many of their Asia Minor holdings.

It was with this reason that the Roman Emperor in Constantinople, Alexius I, wrote a letter to the Pope. In the letter the Emperor begged the Western Christians to come to his aid in battling the Turks. Of course, the western knights being hungry for power and glory only needed an excuse to go on their holy war, and with their help, the Emperor regained some of his lost territory reinstating Roman rule there.
(end of historic material)

That is where our story begins, the year is 1093 and a crusade has just passed through the land on its way to Antioch. The Roman Empire is clearly not what it used to be, and ever since Manzikrert in 1071, they have been forced to rely more and more on mercenary forces. In fact, the Empire's finest troops, the Varangian Guard based in Constantinople, are in fact mercenaries recruited from Vikings. However do not mistake weaknesses for defeat, this fading child of the Roman war machine may have lost a few steps, but it is still a force to be considered with, and the Roman Emperor still commands great respect. His name and riches are whispered about in palace throne rooms, and Princes of the West dream of one day visiting the eternal city of Constantinople.

Now let the story begin...

Chapter I part i

A New Beginning

It was a cold evening as the sun escaped sight for the last time over the city walls of Athens. The skies held within them clouds and the red glare on the horizon faded away and gave the dominion of the vast blue to the moon as she peeked over the eastern sea. As the full of the moon rose, its pale light on the land shinned out like a beacon in the night, it signaled the end of the day and the start of a time when one could rest easy. Night had fallen and already many where resting in deep sleep preparing for the next day to come.

Yet there was some who even in this serene moment were not able to find sleep. Deep in the castle of Athens, hidden in a secret vault, lit with the light of a number of torches. Five men sat around a long wooden table surrounded by stone walls. Their voices were aged and hardened by time, and the sound of their discussion echoed though the castle, yet the shouts fell on deaf ears, none where around to hear this council, and even if there were, not many would care. For many saw that an end of days may be near as the Roman Empire seemed to be falling apart. Of these men was the emperor himself, Alexius I, his first son, Andronicus, and his second son Manuel. As well as two generals from the East, Isaac Comnenus, and Nicephorus Diogenes who made their way to Greece at the request of the emperor.

Andronicus was a tall man and dark haired. A warrior by nature and a skilled commander, some say even better than his father, if such a thing is possible. Raised within the walls of the grand city of Constantinople itself, he grew up learning of The Lost city of Rome and the fall of the West and its former majesty. Long he dreamed of seeing it for himself. Always at his side was his sword. Its surface was smoother than polished diamond and its power was greater than a thousand spears, so say the tales, in his hands it was a true weapon of War. He was a legendary warrior, and none could match him in hand to hand combat.

Manuel, the second son of the Emperor was also a warrior, however not as tall and not as great as his older brother. He was a fine speaker, and he could weave great poems and paint pictures with his words with ease. He was the kind that loved to tell stories and sing songs of deeds done by those in the past. While he was a soldier and had great skills at arms, he had no taste for war. He did not like the smell of blood or that of battle, it was long said that he would fight if roused to do so, however he never enjoyed such acts. Yet like his brother he wished to journey back to Italy and reclaim what was theirs.

The others present were the King himself, and two commanders from the eastern outposts. Alexius was the one who wrote the letter to the pope and asked for the help of the Crusaders, and he got it indeed. As the Turks were concerned with fighting off their new and bitter enemy, the emperor launched an attack and reclaimed the lost province of Anatolia. At the head of that Attack were the two commanders Isaac Comnenus and Nicephorus Diogenes, who are also present at this war council. They drove off the Turks and successfully reclaimed the land for the Romans, however there now was a problem.

There was an urgent matter at hand and that matter was the purpose this war council had convened, apparently the Turks had had enough of the Roman's rule and revolted against them fielding a sizable force. Already the territory of Anatolia had been lost once again, and Trebizond was being threatened not only by these rebels, but it was a great possibility the Turks would ride north and aid them. None where sure of what could be done, for many of the Empire's forces were mercenaries and had little loyalty for the Emperor himself, and had already deserted the army, leaving the province of Trebizond in a very vulnerable state. The first to speak was Comnenus.

Isaac slammed his fist down upon the table, the wood shook beneath his might as his cry echoed from the stone walls about him, How can you sit here and ignore our plight? he screamed clearly talking directly to the emperor. Already outposts along the southern border have been overrun, The Turks are massing only five hundred yards from our nearest cities, and my best troops have already been cut to pieces securing a safe passage here. These mercenaries are not enough

I agree Andronicus said placing both hands on the table, his voice was calm and not full of anger like that of Isaac's. However the Turks are not our only concern he continued, To the North are two thousand Hungarian horsemen just waiting for a chance to ride south. Listen to me, I have just come from the battlefields of Bulgaria, there we secured the land for the Empire, however always in the shadows of the forests we felt we were being watched. It was two days later we spotted a Horseman ridding back north; he was riding hard back to his King in Hungary no doubt.

I have received word from our general in Serbia and he reports much the same, we must strengthen the guard to the North. If we ignore the threat so clearly in front of us we will be doomed to fall beneath our foes.

There was silence for a moment, but then the emperor rose from his seat and walked to a wall nearby his chair. His head was looking down at the ground when he uttered the following words barely understandable Do you know what we are known as? There was confusion to say the least; it was such a strange question none of them realized how to answer. Not sure if it was a trick question or not they all stayed silent, but ever looking at their king they remained. A very uneasy silence filled the room, the only sound to be heard was the kindling of the fire of the torches, and that brought no comfort. Finally the Emperor turned and looked back at his generals, to them he answered I shall tell you, he said as he walked slowly to the other side of the room. We are known as the 'Masters of the Mediterranean'. A French merchant called us that; it's strange how the passing of time changes things. For had this been many years ago he would have said 'Masters of the World'

Diogenes, who had up until now stayed silent, showed his vast intellect and spoke. His voice was not as aged nor as hard as the other's who had spoken before him, for he was just a young man at the age of 26, yet many say he is wise beyond his age and is some what of a walking encyclopedia. Then why do you not just create a new 'legion' a troop to counter act these new threats and take ‘your’ lands back he said almost half laughing, yet he was quite serious. Many around him thought he was insane, such a thing had not been done for ages and in this day and time a standard legion could never stand up to the forces of the Turks. No no, he said shaking his head when they pointed that out. I said a new legion, one like but yet unlike that of old. All the elements are there one must only rearrange things for better quality.

As he spoke it was becoming clear of what he had in mind, a completely new type of Legion for the Eastern Roman Empire. No more would they rely on mercenaries. Diogenes drew the plans out; each legion would contain four, one hundred sixty six units of men called Vestiaritae. Armed with curved sword and a sort of long kite shield these men would form the backbone of each army and would serve as the main fighting force. As well as these soldiers, each army would contain three units of one hundred archers called Psiloi. Armed with both bow and sword they would make up the auxiliaries of the legion. To complement the Infantry a regiment of cavalry made up of both Stratiofari and Kataphractoi numbering at three hundred. The Stratiofari would serve as the main cavalry forces and be sued to drive off enemy horse archers, while the heavy kataphracts charged into the main battle aiding the infantry. All added together one legion would contain 1264 troops, and while it was only a fraction of what the older legions contained, it was seen as a vast improvement over the unordered ranks of Mercenaries the Empire currently had. Suddenly the doors to the chamber flew open as if a great wind had just gust and through them ran a messenger. He threw himself to the ground as he gasped for air.

“My Lords” he said panting trying to draw breath, “Its Prince Osman of the Turks, he’s on the move” There was a moment of silence as all eyes turned to the Emperor. Alexius sat down and asked desperately “Tell me, where is he going?

The Messenger still gasping for breath said “For Trebizond”

There was silence before them now, Alexius rose to his feet and said “Trebizond...so he wishes to take the remnants of our power with one battle Lure our entire host out from our city walls, defeat us, and then Push on Constantinople. I must say this son of the Sultan has fortitude, however I will not let him take the Last grand city. Recall our troops from Trebizond We will fall back to Constantinople and attack with the full strength of the Legions when they have been raised.”

The man sprang from his seat on the ground and hurried out the passage. The king sat down and all eyes turned to him as the doors shut, all was quiet again.

TheSilverKnight
12-16-2003, 23:34
woo continue on, Monk http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Monk
12-17-2003, 13:07
Chapter I part ii

The Meeting of Wolf the Varangian King

The year of 1093 A.D passed without battle, but much accrued for the Turks seized Trebizond. Though it was strategically important being the only way to the city of Constantinople, the Romans gave it up without a fight.

As the council in Athens ended and the Commanders once again set off back to their lands, they told all they could find about the new Legions and urged the people, be they farmers or nobles to join the new army. Recruits were not hard to come by, as many men were more than eager to join these so called legions. Maybe it made them feel closer to their golden days, or maybe they just had a bloodlust. After all the Romans were a warrior people and delighted in carnage, whatever the reason may be the ranks of the army grew with each passing day.

However, a good soldier is not like some rock that can be found lying anywhere. No man is born a good soldier; they must be trained to fight and how to march in ordered lines. Trained in the arts of tactical movement and discipline, and to raise the legions she wanted, the Roman Empire needed time. Three years to be exact, men needed training in combat and horses needed to be trained for war as well. Therefore the year 1094 passed, and all the Empire sat silent.

It was dawn on the 23 day of June, the year of 1095 had set in and it was summer now. In t he city of Constantinople there was a great feeling of tension. Though the training of the Legions was going well, there was a dark could ever on the horizon to the east. Nicea was still held by the Romans, but being of no strategic value the Turks ignored it, allowing those who waiting in the cities west to receive news of Seljuk troop movement.

It was dawn when Andronicus stepped into a nearby tavern. The small hall was not as full as it used to be, and those who were here were usually drunk and could barely stand on their own strength. As the prince looked about, he saw two men sitting in the far corner. One looked somewhat harmless, yet the other had a steely gaze set upon the prince, what it meant Andronicus didn't know and he didn't really care. Right now he had business with the man sitting at the bar, and there was a man sitting there sure enough. Yet unlike half the others still here he wasn't drunk, and if all was silent the prince thought he heard some sort of music drifting upon the air coming from him.

Andronicus walked over to the bar and sat down beside him but said nothing. This man was indeed singing, he was sitting with his head hung low looking deeply into the mead he had been giving, but he had not touched it. His voice was low but the prince could clearly make out the words to a song and a constant melody. However the song was being sung in a language he did not understand, though it sounded beautiful. After a moment of listening he said quietly, almost in a whisper Greetings Wolf.

The man quickly let his head rise, then as he saw it was the prince and heir to the Imperial throne he almost fell off his chair in shock. Regaining his composure he sat back down and looked at the prince, this was Wolf, the Patriarch of Constantinople and also the head of the Varangian guard. He was the finest warrior of his entire troop, but that’s probably because he himself was a Viking king. His tale is a long one and how he found himself in the city of Constantinople is full of battles and journeys, but I’m afraid those events don't enter into this tale, maybe you shall learn of them some other time, but for now back to the tale.

Greetings to you good prince he laughed loudly hitting Andronicus on the back, Good to see ya, how longs it been now?

Andronicus joined in the laughter and shouted Three years to long my friend, and good to see you to.

How goes arming them new Legion boys? said Wolf who calmed down enough to take a drink of his mead.

Oh well enough, Andronicus still laughing said, patting on the table to get a drink for himself. it will be another year before they have trained enough to see battle but i am confident they will decimate the Turkish forces sent to stop us. I'm supposed to accompany my father in the force sent, should prove most interesting.

Have you named the legions like they did in old times? asked Wolf. However as he asked his gaze turned to that warrior in the corner who seemed to be sizing them both up.

Yes we have actually, said Andronicus who put his eyes on the same man for a moment. The First Athenian and the second Byzantium.

Then suddenly the man they were looking at sprung from his seat and drew a knife, he screamed as he charged for the two men sitting at the table. It was an assassin whose target was the prince, quickly Wolf grabbed his axe and threw aside the table. up went the axe and then down again. So quick were the Viking king's moves, that before the table had even hit the ground and the mead upon it spilled onto the floor, the assassin was dead having been sliced through the heart.

Those around payed no heed and went on drinking; Andronicus rose up and cried Hah Well done old friend, you truly are a Viking.

Well good luck raising your new army my prince,” wolf said turning to his friend. I'm heading out with my men, going to Serbia to reinforce the garrison there. and before the prince could say a word, the Viking had bowed low and slipped from the tavern. Andronicus looked down upon the fallen assassin’s body and saw he had the emblem of the Turkish flag hidden beneath his armor, close to his heart. Only one more year until the legion would be ready, it's clear the Turks did not like the news they had gathered.

Monk
12-20-2003, 02:22
not to readers: I have caught the flue, therefore updates will be slow for the next few days. When i'm sick i don't tend to create very well and i doubt you want to read a story that is less than my best. i will come back in a few days when i am better and give you a big update.

enjoy this small bit untill then... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Chapter I part iii

The War in Trebizond begins

After the Prince had met up it his old friend, he decided that he should return to the barracks of the Legion and oversee their training once more. Another year passed while the legionaries trained without end for their coming battle. The cavalry forces of the new army were fashioned to perfection, both Stratiofari and Kataphractoi proved they were ready for the coming battle. The emperor was very proud of his cavalry forces as they proved to be more effective than his foot soldiers. The Vestiaritae and the Psiloi were also drilled until they were perfect. The archers skills was vastly improved from the mercenary archers who had made up the line only five years ago, and the Vestiaritae or as they became known as to the Turks the Byzantine Infantry, were some of the finest men in both Greece and Constantinople. After three long years of training, the first legions were made.

It was mid day outside the mighty stone gates of Constantinople when both armies of the Empire formed up for the first time in marching columns ready to depart. The sun was high above in the sky and not a cloud was present in the vast of the blue as far as the eye could see. Men of all ages had assembled into the ranks o this new army, be they noblemen or farmers from the small villages surrounded the great cities they all were ready to fight. They stood there for some time before the emperor Alexius rode up from out of the gate and hurried in front of them. His horse was heavily armored in a mail coat and so was he. He turned to his troops and spoke to them for the first time.

“Brothers” he shouted holding high his arms, “My brothers of Rome, this is our time This is the first time a legion has been called forth for many centuries, and I must say it is one of the finest this land has seen. There shall be two divisions, those of you from Athens please step forward” he said this and every soldier and cavalry officer on the left hand side of the gate took a step forward.

“You my friends,” he continued, “Shall be designated the first Athens. You are the First legion therefore you shall bear the name of the first. And those of you from here in Byzantium shall be the Second Byzantine. There are more of us being trained as I speak, and though you are the first to answer the call, you will not be the last. Already a third legion is in training in Nicea, but we alone must show the world the strength we carry. We now march,” he turned his heavily armored horse around and thrust his spear forward and shouted “For Trebizond”

And the march was on, at his word the first and second legions went forth, and their sound that was created was great. It sounded as if the heavens themselves had sent these new troops for the Roman Empire for they went with a great speed. They went on for the following month, marching all day and camping at night, this went on for three weeks before they met any combat. However when battle did come many in both legions wished it never had. For it was in the fourth week into their march when they finally met the Turks on the fields of Trebizond, and as the soldiers of the legion looked upon them they had fear within them. Though they had been told they were a great force, they doubted their own skill. For Prince Osman’s army of the Turks numbered at two thousand and five hundred, and many of those were horsemen. The likes of which had never been matched in speed or in combat by any other kingdom, and now these Romans faced them.

Dawn came the next day, and with it both armies took to their line against one another, the Romans were in a long line with heavy infantry in the center surrounded by archers and cavalry outside of them. The emperor Alexius was on the left wing with the Kataphracts while his son Andronicus was on the right with most of the lighter cavalry and his own kataphracts detachment. The field at this site was not flat by any means, the Romans would be fighting an uphill battle as the land slowly arched into a steep hill, and in front of them was a forest, though it might aid them as the Turkish Horsemen would not fight well there, it hindered their view. And they could not see their enemy, however if they had this is what they would have witnessed. An army of horsemen and Ottoman infantry, Ottoman Sipihai and horse archers, Turcoman cavalry forces and Turcoman infantry, it was an army far larger then scouting had originally revealed, one that numbered in at three thousand strong, outnumbering the combined force of the legions by six hundred troops.

It’s an understatement to say that the Romans did not trust in their own skill. In fact they expected to die. There were mumbles of men who were about to dissert and those who were about to run for it when the battle would be joined. Then as both forces stood, rain broke from over head, at first it was only a small sprinkle, but soon it burst into a raging storm, as thunder cracked and lighting flashed over head, there were many whose fears now amplified, but just when it seemed they would march right back to the city from whence they came, the emperor rode out in front of them. This is what he said,

“Men of the Legions of Athens and Byzantium, you have followed me through field and forests and have reached the battlefield in Trebizond. We now stand poised to strike against our mortal enemy, the Turks. Brave men you all are, for you represent the finest fighting force since our mighty troops rose from the city of Rome for the first time to battle its enemies. You all have answered the call for the glorious quest for the lost city and you shall not be the last. For this battle is the first the Legions reborn shall see, and it is our duty to show the world the might of Rome has been rebuilt, the many battles that follow this will ensure that the greatest empire on earth shall be reborn. It will rise up from its ruins and take power from those who have stolen it from us”

“This battle begins a new era, in which the descendants of Rome shall find glory and honor once again. Show me, and show the entire world that the fire of Rome burns deep within your hearts as it does deep within mine. Victory here today means the foundation of a new world; victory here grants us glory for all eternity”

His speech ended and those within the roman line erupted into a great cry and cheer, the likes of which shook the trees and scattered birds into the air. Rivers trembled and the ground shook beneath them as they bashed sword on shield send echoes of their might into the near by forests. However as they celebrated, there was a noise out of the woods in front, it sounded like drums but as the Romans looked to the sky they saw arrows falling. Commanders shouted about and shields were raised, the troops hid beneath them. The volley broke on the shields of the Romans and spun to the ground. The battle of Trebizond had begun, suddenly like a bolt of lighting out of the forest ahead came thundering out a full two thousand horsemen with their swords high into the air shouting aloud, and at their head was prince Osman.

The Roman Vestiaritae readied their arms and charged forth and met the cavalry, while behind them the Psiloi opened fire. The cavalry was holding back, waiting for the right moment to strike. The battle that was being fought was intense and the men of the legions proved to the Turks that they were fierce warriors; they broke the charge with ease and sent the first wave back into the trees. However a second came sallying forth almost immediately and once again they fought, bodies were falling on both sides as the first legion moved into position and charged into the battle. Now both legionary forces were committed to the battle, out from the right flank there came a great shout and the Emperor’s cavalry wing rode forth and engaged the Turks.

On the left the prince Andronicus was still holding back, but while he did a third wave of Turkish forces poured out of the forest and into the fray. The Vestiaritae was doing their job well and they effectively stopped them as well, however they were tiring after the constant battle and began to lose ground. The Prince saw this was the right time and ordered in his cavalry forces, they thundered forward and clashed on the flank of the Turks. The forces of Osman were by now wavering, they had not expected to meet such a highly organized force, yet even though they were losing ground, they were doing considerable damage to the legions themselves inflicting heavy casualties.

Then amidst the chaos and carnage that was the battle, the prince Osman was slain and fell from his horse dead. His men forsook the battle and began to retreat. As they did a shout was heard coming from Alexius, “Now take them Do not let up” and let up they did not, for as the Turks began to withdraw, the Romans pressed their attack and overcame many hundreds, ridding them down like nothing more than weeds. They pursuit was led into the forest and then out the other side, However as they arrived at the end of the forest, before the legions was another one thousand soldiers. Alexius ordered that all men come to a stop and as he did the Turks raised a banner and forth they charged.

The Sky was still thundering and rain was still falling down as the Turks came down upon the roman’s position and another fierce battle was met on the edge of the woods. Many men were slain upon this soil as soldiers from both empires fought one another attempting to drive a hole into the other’s line. Soon though, the advantage came to the Romans and they punched a gap into the Turkish force, into the gap poured Roman Kataphracts and Stratiofari and soon the Turks routed.

The Romans had won the day, however the price was high as the second legion had taken massive loses losing at least ½ of its soldiers. Yet those who survived were praised for their skill in arms and for surviving that hell that was created by the war. The First legion took loses as well, losing 1/5 of its fighting force, altogether the death toll came to seven hundred forty two dead, yet when compared to the Turk forces and their loses that number is small and acceptable, as they lost two thousand and eight hundred troops. The Battle for Trebizond had ended, for now. And The Romans shocked the world as they revealed this new legion. Even the western Christian princes heard the news of the battle, and they shook with fear. For if this new army that had defeated the best the Seljuk Turks had to offer, then what hope did they have? Only time would tell.

The Wizard
12-20-2003, 18:50
Great story Monk -- but wasn't it stratiotai and and vardiarots? Just trying to help. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Monk
12-20-2003, 20:29
Quote[/b] (Wizzy @ Dec. 20 2003,12:50)]Great story Monk -- but wasn't it stratiotai and and vardiarots? Just trying to help. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
If you mean what I created my Legions out of, then no.

Quote[/b] ]To complement the Infantry a regiment of cavalry made up of both Stratiofari and Kataphractoi numbering at three hundred.

thanks for trying to help but Kats and Strats were the right units. vardiarots have not yet entered the story, but don't worry their time comes soon http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

The Wizard
12-20-2003, 22:37
Hm -- must've missed something... haven't played MM in some time, and haven't played the Byz in MM either - that must be it. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Monk
12-27-2003, 23:59
:Monk enters the hall stumbling as he walks:

Whoo That was some party. Now i just gotta catch up to that merchant and get my 50 florins back... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Hope everybody had a Very Merry Xmas/Christmas. I guess i should get back to this, and so i shall, so without further delay i give you a late edition.

Chapter II part i

Defiant voice

The following year saw much bloodshed in the East as the Roman Empire strove forward blazing a path through the corpse of dead Turk and mercenary alike. Any who dared to defy the war machine out of Constantinople paid for it with their lives. In just two years the lands of Anatolia and Rum fell into Roman rule with no mercy being shown to the opposition.

Already the Seljuk Turks were sending messengers to the Emperor Alexius, but of course he wasn't listening. He was consumed with rebuilding his Roman Empire, so much so as he sent thousands of his countrymen to their own deaths. For each battle may have seen victory, each victory was indeed bloody, and always the legions suffered massive casualties, in many cases more than thirty percent, though many prayed for a stop to this war that only served to kill many good soldiers, none would openly go against the will of their ruler. None except the Prince Manuel of course, he hated this new war and saw it's cause unjust and illogical. he was seen many times drinking with his men, telling them he would do all in his power to help stop the fighting, such acts made him popular with the soldiers and the people.

The population of the Empire began to see the Prince as their voice in the Royal court, somebody who thought as they did and wanted what was right for the people. However even he could not convince his father to stop the wars, and finally his persistence proved folly.

As the sun was high above in the sky of August 10th, a chilly wind began to pick up from the north and blew south toward the walls of the city Nicea. Within the great fortification there was a great meeting of the Royal family to discuss what should be done about the Hungarians who were now becoming ever bolder in their raids. The hall in which they gathered was great, its height matched that of the grand city of Constantinople itself and the many windows let light shine in creating a golden haze in which those who spoke basked in as they made their case.

What are our troop’s positions began the emperor as the last of the meeting, Andronicus, made his way into the hall.

Well Father Manuel started trying to keep calm, The men are tired from the aggressive conquering and they need a rest. We should stop the advance in the east until we can properly reinforce them

Yes Andronicus added, The east needs reinforcement, as does the North his tone was changing as he talked, it was ever going higher with anger but he kept his temper in check. I am beginning to think this war was not declared at the right time, we are now threatened on both sides. TO the North Hungary seeks to ride south into Bulgaria, already their raids have been repulsed but i lost my best lieutenant in the process.

Silence You would do well to stop your complaining roared the emperor, You asked me for reinforcements and i gave them to you Are they not enough? How many more men do you need to crush pitiful foes such as these?

Both princes were now very irritated, they commanded the finest armies in the Empire, and some considered their legions the best in the world. A request for aid from them meant that things were getting really bad, yet their Father had grown old and paranoid in his years and he sometimes even suspected his sons of treason.

Father, Manuel said stepping forward into a beam of light nearby. Understand that we would not ask for more soldiers if we did not need them, however even these legions are not enough. Sure they provide a better standing army than the mercenary regiments of the past, but against the wild horsemen of the east and north they have little chance.

Perhaps you would test this then? Alexius said as an evil smile crept onto his face, Go secure Antioch, if it proves to difficult then we will pull back.

Both sons of the emperor now were shocked beyond thought and fear was in both their faces, they could not believe what they had just heard. Antioch the a stronghold of Crusaders that had passed through some years before. The Crusader kingdom stretched from Antioch down to Palestine, all attempts to drive out the invaders made by both the Turks and the Egyptians proved disastrous.

You lead them Manuel, alone. he continued, his voice ever growing deceitful and evil, twisting even more as he spoke. Take the fourth Macedonian and nothing more.

Father you cannot be serious, objected Manuel, Antioch alone holds seventeen hundred crusaders, farther south their strength only grows. The fourth alone will not be enough to defeat them, and even should i succeed i would have to little troops to make any sort of stand against a counter attack.

Are you going against me? Me? You’re Father Alexius screamed slamming his hands down and rising from his throne. You dare challenge my authority?

You wish to send me to my own death, Manuel cried as he grasped the hilt of his sword still sheaved. If you were a man you would kill me here and now, do your work yourself, but do not send me into the jaws of hell to face death alone The prince drew his sword and readied himself for combat.

Alexius made a minor hand gesture and out from the shadows sprang twenty Varangian guardsmen, they drew their swords and axes and surrounded the prince. Relinquish your weapon defiant prince, the Emperor shouted, The dungeons are not so bad, but maybe you shall see that for yourself.

By now Manuel did not know what the hell was going on, he only knew his father had lost the last fringes of his sanity to old age and war, as he stood their with sword in hand thoughts raced through his mind; if he was to strike now he would be deemed a traitor and killed. He made the only choice he saw.

There came a sharp clang as the prince's sword his the floor of the hall and he raised his hands to signify he had given up. the guardsmen took him, one landed a left punch on the prince's jaw before they secured his arms, bound him and took him away in shame. Andronicus, who had chosen to stay out of this, now spoke. What are you doing father? he shouted ready to draw his sword as well.

Stay your tongue The emperor gave a shrill cry looking his son in the eyes, unless you wish to join him, soon you will see my plans for the capture of Antioch are greater than you shall ever know’

Andronicus released his sword and began to walk away, but he turned to his father and said Know this, you try the same with me, and i shall have your head. The prince stormed from the hall and slammed the doors as he left, the rays of light shinning in faded into shadows as the sun set on the horizon.

Monk
12-29-2003, 15:09
I've been debating how far i should take this story, i can't decide if i want to do the entire tale of the Empire's history, at the rate i am posting that would prove very lengthy and would take some time. But don't blame me, it's all Bastilla's fault Her and the damned Knights of the old Republic... cant seem to stop playing that game http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif .

I've found i could end the story at a number of times in a number of different places, but the characters seem to want me to finish it. Aargh The thought of not finishing the full tale kills me and they know that, i guess thats what happens when you put a bit of yourself in each of them along with their game personalities http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif. However the fact that much of it is filled with diplomacy rather than war may not be good reading to some. Well whatever, I will probley end up doing the entire campaign once again, spend two months of writing just so you all have a good tale to read, but thats what i do and thats what i find enjoyable.

I imagine you have all guessed where this next chapter is going, if you havn't by now then you just sit back and read. I might have to go back through the saves i have (and there's a lot from this one game, i saved in different slots) to see if i can dig out any situations i missed before.

This isn't a story of mass war and death so much as my last was, though war does plays a big part here. I have spent more time in getting a better understanding of everything, from the alliances I made to the assasins i sent to the Wars i fought than in previous games. Trying to come up with a legitament way to crush an empire can be hard. ok enough head racking for now... its 9 am and i have been up most the night working on this. I will come back later and post the second and third parts to chapter II, i would do so now but i am just to tired.

and before any of you you say anything to me on the way out.. Yes i know it may seem like i have rushed through this story, but trust me i havn't... not yet at any rate. If you don't know why The Emperor wants Antioch so bad then you're not alone, i'm sure Adronicus and Manuel havn't the faintiest clue either. be patient, all shall be revealed in time

:Monk begins to get up from his usual seat in the corner, but he notices nobody is even in the hall yet so he just decides to sleep right here for a while:

*A modest looking note is in front of a sleeping monk, you pick up the paper. On it you find a number of scribles and thoughts wrote out, you begin to read it but it apears to be in some sort of code that you do not know, you shall need to wait if you want to hear his story*

Monk
12-31-2003, 14:09
Chapter II part ii

Growing Darkness

It was around sunset when the sight of two men dragging another behind them could be seen entering the near by dungeon could be seen, not that it really mattered what time of day it was. The two guards were of the Varangian kind, in their arms strung out like a helpless peasant was the prince Manuel. His ankles were dragging on the ground, his head was hung low and had it not been for the searing pain in his legs and back he might have been asleep, the guards had done their “interrogations” on him; turned out he was accused of being a traitor, though why he didn’t fully know.

He refused to obey an order that would send him to his very death, and for that he was sentenced to spend his life in a dark dungeon outside the city walls of Constantinople itself. Though he was not fully aware of his surroundings, Manuel still was trying to figure things out. He had no luck; there was no logic in it all. The Emperor Alexius lost his senses when Manuel said he would not go to Antioch, but why was the big question. What could be there that would drive the Emperor to invade; a question he could not answer himself. Life was slowly coming back to him, he looked around and noticed he was still being dragged, but he was surrounded by darkness, the only light came from the occasional torch that the guards passed by, and the only sound was of footfalls and his own dragging feet.

He could tell his sword and all his armor had been taken away, of that fact he did not like. The sword was given to him by the King of the Varangian mercenaries; Wolf. His armor was a gift from the Kievan courts of the Rus, as a token of good faith to the Romans, it was his prized possession. All he had on was some ragged clothes, no doubt issued to him so he may die a beggar and not of royalty. Suddenly the guards stopped their walk; Manuel looked to his left, but did not lift his head for he did not have the strength. There was a door or steel bars surrounded by stone, inside he could see by what torchlight there was that inside the holding cell it didn’t look hospitable, the floor was damp from the look and the walls were made of some black material.

One of the guards reached into his armor and pulled out a bronze key, he reached out and put the key into a small lock upon the door. As he turned the key a latch unlocked and the door swung forth, from the creeks it made one could tell it had not been opened for many years. Then without hesitation the two men threw the prince into the room beyond, the prince landed with a loud noise that echoed through the dungeon. The floor was damp, but with what Manuel didn’t know, he could not smell and he could barely hear, be it blood or some sort of water he really didn’t care. The guards slammed the door shut then left, he heard their footsteps as they echoed through the hallow corridors and rooms that this forgotten prison held, Manuel then passed out.

He awoke some time later, how much time had passed he could not say, but as before he didn’t care at this point. Manuel tried to get up, but his arms were weak for some reason and he did not get very far before he slipped and his head came crashing down on the floor. “Aww damn it” he though to himself, “What the hell did they do to me?” The dark was overwhelming, though torchlight was outside his small room here none shown in, around him he could hear nothing, not one thing. Even when he did open his eyes he was greeted by a vast nothingness, no sound, no smells, nothing. However what he could do was think and he though much, the prince played the scenario over in his head again and again, but still it made no sense. The only logical explanation was is that there was something in Antioch itself, some sort of object that the emperor wanted. The Crusaders were no easy opponent to defeat, and that was common knowledge. Their knights alone could decimate the ranks of the legions, so what could it be other than some sort of powerful object that would drive the emperor to invade.

“What could it be?” he said aloud, but his voice was lost in the dark and even he barely heard his own voice. “Why…Why-“ he fell into an uneasy sleep as he uttered those last words and did not wake till much latter.

As he opened his eyes, Manuel found he could move again. He summoned enough strength to sit up against the stone wall, but he still had no idea of how much time had passed. It could have been hours or days for all he knew, and he could help nobody in the darkness that surrounded him. Though he had his strength back, he had no hope, banished from the royal court and declared a traitor, what hope could he have of ever seeing his home again; that thought was ever persistent in his mind. However, just as he was about to fall back into sleep, he heard noise. The sound of somebody approaching, it was very distinct in this void, the sounds echoed through the entire building. Manuel looked to the door and saw Wolf standing there looking in. And the prince couldn’t help but smile as he saw the Viking king standing there.

“Well,” would shouted, he couldn’t contain his laughter anymore. “This is a fine mess you have here Prince”

“Spare me Wolf” laughed Manuel; it did him good to see his old friend once again. “What is it you are doing here of all places?”

“Well I had to see it for myself,” Wolf explained as he placed his hands on the bars of the chamber. “You a traitor, I don’t believe that.”

‘You would do well not to,’ replied the prince, “however I do not see why I am imprisoned.”

“Listen to me young prince” wolf was not growing more serious, “I am only here to bring you news of the outside, you may not realize it but you have been hold up here for a week, the guards have been giving you water to keep you alive.”

“Figures, but what about helping me out?” asked manuel who was clearly impatient to leave his prison.

“All in good time friend,” replied wolf, “But now listen, with you gone your father has decided to declare war on the Crusaders, already your brother Andronicus has been dispatched with the fourth legion to make war upon them, and before you even ask why he is doing that I will tell you, just hold on. It seems the Emperor is threatening to put an end to your life and is using this as an excuse to get your brother to do whatever he wants him to do. To make matters worse, A number of legions have been sent north to combat Hungary. It will be a nasty two front war, I am not sure your father will be able to win.”

“Hungary?” cried Manuel, he rose to his feet, but his legs were shaking, barely able to hold his wait. He stumbled over to the door saying as he limped, “Get me out of here”

“I see your eager, but not yet” replied the Viking King, “No fighting will take place for some time, but do not worry I will free you in due time. For its not that simple, to do so, I myself would have to break you out of here and kill many guards, you see this old prison has been rearmed and many soldiers take quarter here just to guard you. Trust me when I return you will be free, of that I promise.”

The Viking King stepped away from the door then disappeared into the shadows around the torches, the Prince within the holding chamber simply fell back onto the ground and sat, all he could do now was wait, but as he did he began to think of a plan, after he was freed, he would have to kill the emperor. Killing his own father would not be easy for him to do, but he realized after much thought it was the only way, but he had another thing to do first, and that was to find out why this war was started in the first place.

more posted in a bit...

DemonArchangel
01-01-2004, 18:14
MONK, FASTER I LOVE YOUR STORIES

Ludens
01-01-2004, 19:40
If this one will be only half as good as Four Crowns and Four Rings, I will still be very pleased. Keep it up.

Monk
01-02-2004, 13:32
Quote[/b] (DemonArchangel @ Jan. 01 2004,12:14)]MONK, FASTER I LOVE YOUR STORIES
haha wow http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Whats ironic is, i would have posted yesterday, but on the very first day of the Furture (2004) the place where i live suffers a major power outage, damn and i thought the future was supposed to be better than the past... GAH

Anyhow i should be posting faster now, the long holidays are over and i can get back to work http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Chapter II part iii

War on the horizon

Days passed by slowly transforming into weeks as Manuel sat in that dark and cold dungeon alone, it was some time that he spent there, and as he was imprisoned, his brother was racing toward Antioch. Andronicus had been ordered to secure the province of Antioch, and the only reason he ever agreed to the mission given to him by his father, was the fact that if he refused Manuel would be executed. Though he knew fully he was marching toward his own death, he would rather his brother live. Andronicus was a very complicated man, he lived by an honor code, not unheard of in those days, but his code was not chivalry.

It was a code with very complex rules, and he was bound by it to obey his father’s orders. Not only that but he could not willingly act knowing his brother would suffer for his choices. It is said that even after receiving the news that he was to lead the army headed for Antioch; he drew his sword and slammed it into the ground sending echoes of fear throughout the world itself, though it is only legend and not spoken of. With him the Prince took the forth and fifth legions, only around two thousand and five hundred. Though it was a number greater than had been originally planed, he did not expect to win, for even if he could hold his ground and defeat the crusaders, he would never survive a counter attack.

It was nightfall on July first of the year 1100 A.D, and Adronicus’ forces set foot in Lesser Armenia ready to cross into Antioch, however as they came toward the border they spotted far across the sandy desert a great number of fires on the horizon, more than had been expected. From first appearance it was unsure of what exactly they were, however soon enough those within the legions knew what they were looking upon, the assembled might of the Crusading orders. On the Horizon was a force of two thousand and seven hundred, it was clear the German crusaders behind the Teutonic Order must have sent forces in to aid their Italian allies. It was some sight to see, as the fires of the Christians filled valley before them, the Romans knew that this battle would see both sides losing a great many men, and they would have no idea how right they were.

The moon was high in the night sky when she finally let her light shine on the land, and though in its crescent shape, it still gave the Romans a sense of hope. You see, many years ago a great victory was won as the sky turned dark and the moon rose high, ever since then the giant mistress has been a symbol of importance to the legions, they see in it their hope and their fate. Adronicus was standing outside his command tent looking out into the valley before him, there all he could see were fires blazing, and a thought was burned into his mind; the crusaders knew he was coming before hand. How else could they have assembled such a vast army and be in this very place camped out waiting. He sensed betrayal, but to declare it now would be pointless, some men might even desert if he showed his anger now; he said nothing only passed inside the command tent where a number of his lieutenants had already gathered.

“Prince”, Diogenes said as he bowed his head slightly, the rest of the lieutenants did the same. Those who had accompanied Anronicus on his expedition were Nicephorus Diogenes, the man responsible for the new legions, and Isaac Comnenus, Hero of the Battle of Anatolia some years before. The others present were only unit commanders who only needed to know when and where to deploy, Andronicus entered and approached his sub commanders saying;

“We are up against a mighty foe, any ideas?” He himself had no idea of what to do, and though he was a wise and able commander, his mind was clouded by thoughts of death and betrayal. His heart was full of anger and hatred, but it was not directed toward any one thing, wild and unstable it was, and very dangerous. All were silent, for it did not take a scholar to notice his eyes had changed, and something was burning deep within him. The wind kicked up outside and whistled as it blew toward the west, and suddenly Diogenes spoke, but it was not of anything tactical.

“The east wind brings ill tidings” he said with a worried voice full of fear and doubt. All eyes turned toward him, none knew what he meant, but he continued. “Don’t you hear it?” he asked looking about, “Something is a miss. These Crusaders cannot know of our arrival, if so then why have they not attacked yet? No they are waiting for some one else.”

“What do you mean Diogenes?” Andronicus asked

“I cannot be sure,” he worried commander replied growing more paranoid and worried, “but if I am right, the crusaders will not be worried about us come the following morning.” He stopped talked and walked outside, none followed him for they knew not what he was trying to say or what he was doing, only the prince bothered to follow.

Diogenes was standing with his eyes closed looking east, he seemed in deep thought when Andronicus came up behind him. “Danger my friend” he said opening his eyes and turning around, “Grave danger, you said to me; That to die in battle is the ultimate glory did you not?”

“Yes I believe I did at one point, but what are you-“Andronicus spoke no more, for the wind kicked up violently and blew west with great ferocity. However Diogenes only stood looking east and said “Then we shall have glory beyond all dreams at tomorrow’s end, the Turks approach”

Andronicus was filled with anger suddenly, but he didn’t fully understand why. In an instant his priorities changed, the crusaders no longer mattered, it was the Turks who had to be defeated. “Send a messenger to the Christians” he shouted aloud, “Tell them their Roman allies are near”

Diogenes gave no word he only bowed slightly and walked away back to camp, no doubt going to oversee the sending of a rider to the crusaders. However Andronicus was growing more and more confused, His brother’s imprisonment, the order to seize Antioch, and now this vast force of Turks appearing out of the night without a word of indication from the spy network inside Turkish territory. There was something more to it than all appeared, how could the forces of the crusades form such a powerful army with their limited recourses, and further more, what was the importance of Antioch, the questions only grew inside the prince’s mind. Finally he gave up and returned to the command tent, there he would formulate his battle plan, but still he wondered; what could be behind those stone walls that was so damned important?

edit: i will be back later to post another bit, maybe two parts if i'm lucky

Monk
01-02-2004, 18:22
Chapter II part iv

The War of Antioch

The sun rose out of the east, it's light shot out from over the sand dunes racing across the sea and back again. The moon disappeared behind the western sea just as the sky turned from its darkness into a deep blue that held no cloud in it. By now the Turks had arrived on the battlefield and were visible on the north eastern horizon, they had come from Edessa to do battle with the crusaders, and found also Romans awaiting them.

However Andronicus was not able to convince the Christian princes to unite with him against the Turks, and he was forced to declare them an enemy as well. The three armies drew their battle lines, with the Turks on the northern side of the field, the Romans in the west, and the crusaders in the south. The actual field was mostly featureless, except for a few rolling hills it gave no significant terrain advantage to either of the sides.

The troops of each nation's force stood waiting in their lines for a long time, none moved from their spot. In a battle such as this any slight movement could set off a chain of events leading to complete carnage, though it was clear by now that could not be avoided. As the soldiers of the three peoples stood without movement a sandstorm kicked up without warning. Seeking to use the storm as cover for movement the army of Turks began their march, they moved south at a steady pace, however even they were vulnerable to the storm and their troops were not at all happy about moving through a dense wall of sand.

Then like a clap of thunder there came a great call from the lines of the crusaders, they had blown their war horn, and some sound it was indeed. That shout was followed by the sound of thousands of hoof beats letting lose from their passive stance and thundering into a charge like no man had ever seen before. Their shouts carried over the sound of the sand storm and they charged through without hesitation, and to the Turks who were trying to pass through hoping to take the Christians by surprise, this was quite a shock. The Turks gathered their sanity and put forth their weapons and met the crusaders in combat, and what followed was unspeakable, suddenly the storm died away reveling that the battle had begun to the Romans, they stood looking on for a moment as hundreds of men fought and killed on another, they might have stayed there watching all day had it not been for a shout that came from the centre of the line.

Andronicus drew his sword and shouted, Attack now Ride them Down his horse reared up and he went forth thundering out ahead of his men. Wasting no time the heavy Kataphractoi charged on behind him and following him came all the other Infantry. They raced across the rocky desert and into the lines of both the Turks and the Christians, both armies turned their flanks to meet the new threat, but their soldiers had taken heavy losses and due to fatigue could not put up much of a fight, the Kataphracts drove through the men sent to stop them and pushed deep into the Turkish lines.

While the Turks were being forced back, so to were the crusaders, led by Prince Andronicus himself the Roman infantry and stratiofari punched a hole in the left flank of their army, and it would seem that they were being defeated by the very allies they rejected. However soon their advance was stopped on both ends, the Turks and the crusaders rallied and faced the Romans effectively stopping their charge. The kataphracts pushed their way to deep into the lines of both armies and were soon surrounded and they began to take heavy losses.

The Infantry did little better, as they were no match for the heavy cavalry of the Christians or the spearmen of the Turks, and they were soon pushed back. However even with his army beginning to lose ground, the prince was cutting a path straight through to the General of the Antioch defenders. Countless knights went against him, but they were slain and their bodies thrown to the ground. Around him his guards were forced to stop and fight their way through, but the prince thundered ahead. Even though his bodyguards were slain before the knights of Antioch, the prince made his way to the general of the force and confronted him.

With a fire burning in his eyes he battled with him, his foe's guards rushed to help, but in a flash of light they fell to the ground dead and the fight continued. As Andronicus fought, his army counter attacked and broke through the Turkish centre forcing them into a route, Infantry turned and engaged to the knights of Antioch and the Kataphracts chased down the last survivors of the Turkish army. Finally, amidst the chaos and carnage, the general of the crusaders was slain and around him his army broke and fled. The Romans won the day, but at a great cost, their force lost a great deal of men, over one thousand nine hundred. Figures of the slain amounted at around four thousand from all three armies.

Andronicus returned to his men, but as they looked upon him they knew something was wrong, and before they could do anything he fell from his horse. Though they rushed to him, it was too late. His wounds were to severe, it appeared he was right, this mission was the death of him

Revenant69
01-04-2004, 03:45
WOW simply WOW...absolutely astounding and breathtaking. Remarkable job Monk.

I cant wait to find out whats in Antioch, although i have my suspicions http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/shock.gif

once again, WELL DONE

Monk
01-05-2004, 12:36
Chapter III part i

The Fire is Awakened

The battle of Antioch ended with the victory and the day being handed to the Romans by fate itself, and though they won the field, the castle was still held by a number of crusaders. The stronghold was surrounded but being fierce in noble spirit and mind, the defenders refused to give the castle up. It became clear that they intended to hold onto it until they died, and the question of why raced through the minds of common soldiers and men of the cavalry alike. However no answer came to them and in their foolishness many ventured to close to the castle looking for answers, and they were shot by the arrow towers and met their deaths.

The day was the thirteenth of July, two weeks after the battle of Antioch, and Manuel began to think he would never see the light of day again. It had been some four weeks since he was thrown down into the dark and forsaken by his father, every now and again a guard would come to the door and throw him some scraps of food; being mostly of bone and trash he ate very little of it. As for water, well he got little of that as well, and the liquid on the floor was sickening to drink and horrid to smell. The prince didn't sleep very much either, but it cannot be expected, the only sleep he found was when weariness of more than four days overcame him and he slept an uneasy sleep. And always was his sleep haunted by nightmares of death and grief.

Many thoughts raced through his mind, thoughts of home and thoughts of the light he had not seen in what seemed like so long. The darkness had become his home, yet he hated it with a great passion, it mocked him and taunted him, blinding him of sight and voiding him of his pride. Many times the prince pulled himself from the fringes of sanity, he began to see things in the dark, hideous things; demons and spiders, creatures whose very hide looked of evil, and the darkness around him was full of it. He began to think thoughts of insanity, but every time he began to do so he retrieved his senses and closed his eyes, when he would open them he only saw darkness, but he also no longer saw the evil.

Wolf, you had better hurry he thought to himself much, in fact he lost count of how many times that phrase appeared into his mind. He knew it would take the Viking king to convince not only his men that Manuel was not a traitor, but he had to do the same to the commanders of the Army and the nobles. Manuel knew also, that his father had to be stopped before he could take what was in Antioch, and of course the prince had not yet learned of his brother's death or of the victory in the battle fought in the so called holy land. If he had, it is not likely any prison could hold his wrath, of course that is something the guards knew all to well.

He was about to abandon all hope entirely and try to go to sleep once more, when a sharp and shrill scream echoed through the prison. In this deep and dark hold, the noises of the earth and man became amplified many times, the bards say it is the ghosts of men who died trapped here that echo the noises so they sound all the more horrible. Whatever the reason be, it got the prince’s attention as he stood up looking about in wonder. Some seconds later another shout filled the air, but this one was closer. Then Manuel heard the sound of metal clashing, followed by another scream that echoed through the void. Suddenly he realized what was going on; Wolf had returned and was fighting his way toward him.

Another shout filled the dark around him, this one came from very close by, and then after it he heard the sound of many feet storming down the narrow corridor. They approached the cell where he was held, but he didn't know if it was wolf with help or guards. They came closer and closer until finally five figures ran into view of the torch light outside his room. However still he could not tell who they were as their shadows covered their faces. One spoke to another, in a language he didn't understand, then the other answered in the same tongue. The one in front pulled out a key and unlocked the door, then he said in a low voice it's good to see you again Prince

Manuel couldn't believe his ears, and if he hadn't been raised in Constantinople himself i doubt he ever would have, but with wolf he carried his sword and his armor, the things that had been taken away from him when he was imprisoned. The door swung open and Wolf threw the armor in to the prince, Manuel caught it but of course was almost taken by its weight, he hadn't had it on for some time, but he was glad to have it back. Hurry up came a shout from one of wolf followers, We haven’t much time before the guards recover and figure out we are here.

Manuel did hurry, he slipped his chain mail on and retrieved his sword from wolf, he unsheaved it and said My friend, you shall never leave my side so long as the sun rises on this earth. Wolf smiled then said,

Come let us leave. Manuel nodded and followed the five warriors down a Dark passage. They ran down one way then another, turning left then right many times. Wolf was speaking as they went, telling the prince of the events passed. It seemed the other four were actually Varangian, in fact all of the guardsmen pledged to Wolf that they would help free the captive prince and see to it he was the new emperor. Also revealed to him was that many legionary forces agreed to help if the prince could be recovered. However while they went, wolf also told of Andronicus' death at Antioch, and of the siege that had started of its castle. And upon hearing of his brother's death Manuel stopped running.

Dead? he said in a shaking and sorrow filled voice. And to it Wolf could only answer Yes he is dead, I am sorry.

They stood there for some time, for Manuel refused to move. He only starred down at the floor not even bothering to blink, his brother was dead and his father was the one solely responsible for sending him. Now his heart was aflame with anger and hatred, and he gripped his sword but he said nothing. Suddenly there came from ahead of them the sound of many guards approaching, Wolf threw back his shoulders and said Alright, here they come, get ready

The Varangians readied their weapons, some had axes and some had swords. They waited in their place for the guards to show themselves, but then out from behind them came a cry, a cry that echoed through the dungeon and one that was so horrifying that none could believe who it came from. The cry came from Manuel, and before they could turn to look upon him he flung his sword up and raced toward the darkness ahead of them. He was shouting as he went and soon he disappeared passed the torchlight, but even though he could not be seen by their eyes they heard what happened. For just as he was lost from sight the sound of battle filled the passage, the Vikings ran forth as the screams of the guards filled their ears, but as they arrived they found only the prince standing over the bodies of many fallen.

They looked upon him and saw within his eyes was burning a great fire, and they held a strange green light within them. And out of the darkness came the shouts of many more guards as they came rushing up from both in front and behind. The Varangians made ready, some went by the prince and some went by wolf. No sooner had they readied their weapons once more then did come running into the light of the torches was many guardsmen with their swords ready, the Viking mercenaries shouted allowed and they swung their swords and axes cutting into their foes. Yet even they fell, and fall they did. One fell on the contact with battle, and another fell beside Manuel. As the fight continued so to did fall another as he was hacking away with his axe. Soon only two men were left, and they were Manuel and Wolf, they fought on and they were fighting back to back holding desperately to stay alive.

in the battle a small opening appeared to the north as Manuel cleared a way through the guards, he shouted to wolf and they made their way through with a number of men chasing them. Around one corner and into a side room they dodged, they hid and hoped they would not be found, and sure enough they were not. Their pursers went by and did not see them as they were in the shadows, what must have been forty soldiers passed them by without a look toward their position, but the two survivors knew not how they would get out now. Of course they could make a dash for the exit, but every guard in-between would hear them coming to soon.

Damnit what the hell do we do now? Manuel said trying to keep his voice low.

Well, if we go now for the way out, Wolf said clearly relaxed there will be no way we could survive. They would hear us and attack as we made our way.

Then what? Manuel's voice almost raised by he stopped himself in time.

We let fate decide which one of us shall live. Wolf answered him.

I don't think I understand, Manuel said in a puzzled voice.

Listen, said Wolf and he began digging into his armor looking for something. If we both head for the way out, we will be killed for sure, however if one of us draws them away then the other could get out meeting only light resistance, of course the one who stayed would die. then Wolf pulled out a golden coin, even in the limited light they had one could still see its golden surface.

I will place this coin in one hand, and then you shall guess which hand you believe it is in. If you are right then you leave, however if you are wrong I shall leave, understand?

Wolf i wont do that, Manuel said I am not about to leave you to die.

hey, it's the only way Wolf answered. Then he put his hands behind his back and placed the coin into one, and then he put his arms forth and said in a very low voice Now choose.

Ludens
01-05-2004, 12:57
This is getting better and better. We already have a serious contender for the 2004 storytelling award

Monk
01-08-2004, 15:29
Chapter III part ii

The Way to Freedom

The darkness around them filled the room as Wolf held his arms toward Manuel, and the prince looked upon both of his choices and wondered if he was doing the right thing. To make this decision would send one of these two to their ends, while the other lived free to do as we willed. He looked at Wolf and saw that the Viking held within his face no emotion, no sorrow, no worry, nothing. Wolf seemed to know what was about to happen, as if he didn’t care what the prince selected.

Slowly Manuel lifted his arm ready to decide. His hand was shaking and he was a bit afraid, but as he was trying to calm himself he simply closed his eyes and let his hand drop. “Left” he said finally, “I choose left”. Wolf gave a slight laugh and opened his left palm, and there sure enough was the coin of gold he had placed. The prince had won the game and his life, but in doing so he had doomed his friend to death, and though Wolf had lost the game, he seemed content with his fate. He grabbed his axe off the floor and said “Well played my young friend.” But Manuel didn’t say anything in response.

The prince knelt down and picked up his sword and was about to sheave it when in the faint light he noticed something that filled him with anger, and sadness, for on the blade was stained a great amount of blood, the blood of his fellow countrymen, his people. The very people he wanted to save from death at the hands of war he was killing, this filled him with great anger and he thrust his sword out against the air with such power, that the scarlet liquid was released from its steal home and found its place on the walls and floor around them.

“Never again shall you take the blood of a Roman” he cried aloud, no longer afraid of the many guards around in the dungeon. Now Manuel realized the price of the fire inside of him, the hatred that burned up inside of him as he battled before. It made him lose all sight and he slew without thought, it was madness without honor. He then vowed to himself, there in front of Wolf, that never again should he let his anger overcome him in such a way.

Wolf held out his right arm and said “Good by my friend, I shall see you again when you die.” Manuel grabbed Wolf’s arm and laughed “Yes, but I don’t mean to die just to see your ugly face again” The Viking laughed aloud was he walked over to the door of the room, he then said “Do not let your lust for vengeance blind you”

Before the prince could give him an answer, he slipped from the door and down to the left of the passage way. Manuel smiled and said to himself, “may you rest soon for your deeds my friend, you will not be forgotten.” Then he to ran out from into the corridor, but he chose to go to the right, away from the path Wolf had taken. As the Viking went down his way, he roused great noise, banging his sword against metal bars, letting out great howls, shouting curses down the echoing ways. He turned left and went further into the dungeon screaming, down a number of dark passages and down stairways. He ran as fast as he could, but soon he came to a dead end.

“Damn,” he said looking around, “Did they not hear me?” but then he turned around and found that behind him was gathered a number of warriors, of whose number he could not count. He had done what he promised to do, draw the guards away, now it was up to the prince to escape. As he looked into the eyes of the warriors sent to kill him, he laughed, he laughed a horrible and terrible chuckle that put those in front of him into fear. Drawing his axe ready, he looked to his side and spotted a sword on the ground; Wolf knelt down and grabbed it as well. He then shouted out, “To those who stand against me, Let it be known that I shall not die easily” This angered his foes greatly and they charged forth with their swords ready, Wolf let out a great cry and leapt onto them slashing his axe and sword about cutting down many. He fought like none had ever known a man could fight before, but as he was swinging his weapons around and slashing, he began to sing. It surprised those trying to bring him down and they were horrified that a man could sing as he killed his enemy.

The song he was chanting was spoken in his own tongue; therefore none could actually understand it but himself. The words to which though dealt with battle, death, and the praises of the God Odin. And though it was true that the north had been pacified long ago by the Christians, Wolf still followed the old religion of his people along with his guardsmen. He was in the midst of many warriors, surrounded by enemies, when finally a sword was brought down onto his helm and he was struck down. Yet around him laid the bodies of many warriors had fallen.

It was by Wolf’s sacrifice that would alow Manuel to find his way to the only exit to the entire dungeon, but as he arrived he found two guards were still guarding the door. He hid behind the wall for a moment, he began to draw his sword, but he did not, Manuel quickly put it back to his side as he refused to kill a fellow Roman. Placing one hand on the wall, he emerged from the shadows; the guards at first did not know it was him, however suddenly one of them shouted, “Hey what are you doing here?” When manuel gave him no answer, he walked a bit closer and said “Didn’t you hear me? Wait a second…you’re the prince Watch out..-” his shout was cut short as Manuel threw him to the ground, the other guard who was by the door rushed to help, but he to was thrown against the wall.

Manuel dashed out of the doorway, only to find it was nightfall, high above the moon was full shinning it's blue and pale light, but such a sight did not give him comfort. The prince kept running, and he didn’t stop until he reached the nearby forest. Finally he sat down; he had made it out of the darkness, but at a great cost. Wolf was surely dead by now, even he could realize that, and every man loyal to the emperor would be searching him. “I need to disappear” he said in a weary voice. However he had no place of refuge, none he could think of anyway. “Could it be,” he began to wonder, “That I have escaped only to find death?” with that thought still fresh into his mind, he was taken by sleep.

DemonArchangel
01-08-2004, 22:49
F**KING BEAUTIFUL MONK

*bows

Revenant69
01-09-2004, 00:35
*sob* *sob* Why did...*sob* Wolf *sob* had to die? *breaks down crying*

*calls to his lackeys*
Round up 50 virgins, we have to sacrifice them, to honor the death of a Viking king Wolf

*terrified, one lackey responds*
But Sir, we dont have that many virgins in our country......

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-09-2004, 17:16
Excellent, Monk http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Quote[/b] ]*sob* *sob* Why did...*sob* Wolf *sob* had to die? *breaks down crying*

*calls to his lackeys*
Round up 50 virgins, we have to sacrifice them, to honor the death of a Viking king Wolf

ROTFL http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

Monk
01-11-2004, 14:26
Chapter III part iii

Freedom is Elusive

Some hours past while Manuel slept, and he was most fortunate that the surviving guards emerging from the dungeon did not discover him. However that was simply for the fact that he had traveled so far away, and in his confusion and grief stricken mind he was not aware of just how far he had run the previous night. In fact, he was very near to Constantinople, outside its walls and a little way west. However that is the last place he wanted to be, for every soldier not fighting in his father’s wars were at this moment out searching the lands for him.

Manuel awoke to find that the sun had risen and was high above in the sky. Its golden rays shone down into the forest creating a haze of light in many places. The prince listened for a moment and he heard birds singing high above him in the branches, clearly they were not bothered by all the war and death that had been through this land during the last ten years. Manuel summoned the strength to rise to his feet, but as he did so there was a sharp pain in his side, he looked down and saw blood dripping from his side. “Guess I wasn’t as lucky as I thought” he laughed. Manuel then started to walk, but he soon realized that was harder than he had expected, but he also realized he had to make it to some city so he could gather support, maybe meet up with the rest of the Varangians. Slowly he stumbled on, trying desperately not to fall, and even harder not to rouse attention from any troops that might be about. However both proved more difficult that he expected.

Finally, after walking what seemed like forever, he stopped. But when the prince looked back, he noticed from the blood stains that he had only gone a stone’s throw from the place he had slept. “I’m losing too much blood” he thought. Manuel fell to his knees clutching his side, by now he could not hide the pain that he was bearing. Hen sat upon the ground trying to gain the strength to move on, but he couldn’t find it. Then suddenly there came a snapping sound from behind him, it was the sound of a trig breaking under one’s foot. Manuel turned as well as he could but did not see anyone, then there came a shout, but he couldn’t understand what the voice said. The voice was answered by another shout from the opposite direction, and by now he was near frantic, Manuel had not the power to draw his own sword, and he was greatly wounded, he could not fight now.

But then to his surprise out of the brush came not a man of the legions, not a guardsman of the dungeons, but a Varangian guard. The Viking took one look at Manuel who was on the ground bleeding, then gave a sharp whistle, and out of the brush came what must have been fifty others, all of them Varagians. One spoke to their leader, but Manuel could not understand their dialect. The Vikings were quick to learn the speech of the Romans, but it was rare for them to teach any their own language, maybe they saw it as a piece of their own land that none should know. Whatever the reason it remained that the prince had no idea of what they said, but soon they picked his up, bleeding mess and all, and laid him against a tree. Then one of them took out a few straps and bandages and covered the wound the prince had suffered. Then their leader, who’s helm was decorated with some sort of red and fiery jewel spoke, “Greetings young prince, and be at ease.”

Manuel wasn’t sure what he could say, he knew who they were so it would be pointless to ask them that. But he did ask quite a bit eventually, “Where does your allegiance lie?” he shouted looking about franticly. “Will you take me to the emperor?” he cried aloud once more. He couldn’t hide is fear, but its doubtful anyone could, being surrounded by Vikings in the middle of the woods. The leader of them all, took a step forward and said, “We owe allegiance to you only young prince, we will fight to make sure your father is removed as Emperor for all time.” They all shouted some word suddenly, though the prince didn’t understand it, he could guess its meaning. They were pledging to him their lives; it was clear to all, that now it could end only with bloodshed. Many things by now were in the mind of Manuel, he was still thinking about the death of Wolf, but he also was wondering how he would confront his father, for he had not the strength to kill him. Even if it meant to avenge the death of Andronicus and all the men who had died in this war, he could not do it. However he said nothing of it.

‘Pick him up” one of the Vikings shouted, “We’ll take him to our hold.” Manuel liked the sound of that; for once he could finally rest his head easily without thought of death or torture. Two Vikings came to him and lifted the prince up to his feet; he barely had the strength to walk so they helped him along the way. The warriors of the north led the prince out of the forest and into a small valley beyond; they were not very far from the walls of Constantinople itself so they had to take care not to appear strange. The Varangians conducted many patrols of the area from time to time, therefore that’s what they tried to mimic. Luckily they didn’t draw the eyes of any guards, and they passed by the walls. For a while they followed the road away from the gate, until they came to a steep incline in the land, there they turned west and down into another valley. To the great surprise of Manuel, here hemmed in by forest and valley sat a small hall. “It was built by Wolf and the first of us to arrive” the Viking leader said to Manuel as they marched. “By the way, my name is Domaes at your service Manuel of Constantinople.”

But Manuel did not like the sound of that and said with a hint of anger, “Do me a favor, never call me that again” The Vikings laughed at Manuel; even in his weak state he was ready for a fight. “Don’t get him anger, he might hurt us” one laughed, and soon all the others burst into laughter, the prince couldn’t help but smile, the sound of laughter had not crossed his ears in a very long time. They continued on until they were at the front of the hall, a rather large wooden structure; it resembled a warrior hold, and in fact that’s exactly what it was. This was the Hold of the Vikings, where troops came from all around to tell tales and have a good drink. The door was opened and they all went in, inside wooden tables were everywhere as songs were being sung of Viking lore. The air was thick, but it was refreshing and far better compared to dungeon air. Many had already gathered inside, as he raised his head the prince caught the eyes of many who saw him, and all music stopped. The Vikings let him stand on his own strength and all eyes turned to him, then suddenly there came a shout from Domaes “Hail to the future emperor, we follow into hell” Those present in the hall bowed their heads and cried “Hail”

However, Manuel did not like the feeling of being a leader, he looked about and saw all the people looking to him for guidance, and he thought to himself “This is not my place, but I am the only one who can lead them now that you are dead brother.” There came a shout and all music began again, the drunken chants of songs filled the hall once again and the Vikings to Manuel to one of the tables in the back.

As he sat the prince noticed he was seated by a hooded man, and he spoke as the Vikings all dispersed to see to their own enjoyment. “Do you know how long I’ve been waiting?” Manuel’s thought process stopped, he knew this voice, but had not heard it in a long time. And to his surprise it was the voice of a woman.

“Who are you?” he asked after a moment of trying to place the voice to a name.

The hooded woman removed her hood and revealed herself. Her brown hair shown in the light of the hall, and hardly looking into her face at all Manuel knew who it was, it was Helen his little sister. Had he the strength he would have rose and hugged her for he had not seen her for some time. “It’s good to see you” he laughed. But on her face was not happiness, rather sorrow. She had taken the news of her brother’s death harder than Manuel, and her other brother being held in a dungeon didn’t help matters. And even though he was free, she knew he would die soon. “You must leave” she said in a low voice

“But why?” asked Manuel who was very confused, he had just come to this hall for some rest now he was told to leave.

“Because they wish to kill you” Helen almost shouted, but she held her voice down. Of course the prince did not know what to say, but she continued. “They hold you responsible for Wolf’s death, and they will kill you if you remain.”

“Then how do I get out of here?” Manuel was not in the best of strength, nor could he run fast. But he also realized that he had to flee or die.

“There is a hidden door behind us,” Helen pointed to what looked like a wall, but if one looked closely they would see a door. “No one here knows who I am, I will slip out, and you will follow.”

Without another word she rose and flung her hood over her face, and then quietly she disappeared out the back door. After a few minutes, Manuel rose to do the same. He walked to the door, but as he tried to open it was jammed. He could simply push it open, though he was trying desperately. The noise he was rousing alerted the Vikings, and they drew their weapons ready. “He’s trying to escape” one shouted. Manuel took his shoulder and rammed the door and it flew off its frame, then he saw why it had been jammed, the secret doorway went into a forest and a branch had got caught in its way of shutting properly. Taking only a single look back the prince ran out into the wood as fast as he could just as all the Vikings let out a yell and charged.

Now he could think of only one place he could find followers, his old command in Athens.

DemonArchangel
01-11-2004, 16:17
Wolf's ghost should make a cameo appearance http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Monk
01-12-2004, 00:22
The thing about doing a story like this is; you hate to post when you have something to say besides the story itself. Since you know everybody will click thinking they are about to read another chapter, well im sorry but I need so say some things before i get back to work http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Quote[/b] ]*sob* *sob* Why did...*sob* Wolf *sob* had to die? *breaks down crying*

*calls to his lackeys*

I'm sorry you feel bad for Wolf, seeing as how he's sitting comfy in Valhala by now drinking along side Thor http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif . Silly patrons, this is a good story and i say he goes to valhala http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif so no more worries there.

I will not be posting the entire campaign,(yes after about 5 days of thinking i chose not to) since it will just take to long. This thing hasn't even passed up 1101 and it's already half as long as the Four crowns... story i wrote up last year. Therefore i have decided to end this with the death of Manuel, and no i'm not gonna tell when exactly that is so do not ask. If you do i will be forced to execute you, (and contrary to popular beleif, not all monks are good http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif ) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/read.gif

Maybe when this is done i will do a nice little Viking tale, the bloodshed will help clear my thoughts http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif ah but for now back to work.

:The Monk leaves the hall before any realize he was there:

Beirut
01-12-2004, 01:03
Hey, that was good.

Lots of writing going on at youir house. There are a few passages in there that really bring the story up a level. Very nice. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

Revenant69
01-13-2004, 02:33
Quote[/b] (Monk @ Jan. 11 2004,18:22)]I'm sorry you feel bad for Wolf, seeing as how he's sitting comfy in Valhala by now drinking along side Thor ;) :p . Silly patrons, this is a good story and i say he goes to valhala :cheers: so no more worries there.
Ok, I like the idea of Wolf sitting in Valhalla and drinking alongside Thor http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-party2.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-clown.gif

Monk
01-17-2004, 19:08
Ah so busy these days, but I give you another chapter…

Chapter IV part i

Civil War

The Moon was rising as clouds moved in from the west. The wind kicked up and began to blow a cold wind through the forest. Below the branches of the mighty trees above, a figure darted from shadow to shadow moving as quick as death itself. This was Manuel, he was moving from tree beneath the trees as fast as he could. Even though the Vikings had given up pursuit some time go, he did not lessen his pace. He was taken by confusion, the sweet was dripping from his brow like a summer’s rain and yet he didn’t notice. Manuel’s mind was full of thoughts of betrayal, death, and anger. Since he had escaped the Small Viking hold he had caught no sight or sound of his sister, but he knew that she could take care of herself. Besides, it was she who had gained entry into the hall of the Varangians, why should he worry now?

He was still running as fast as he could, not even noticing the sharp pain in his throat from thirst. “What the hell is going on?” he thought racing with speed unmatched through the woods. “Why would those Vikings, the very people who helped raise me, now betray me? It does not add up Unless…” Manuel slowed down until he was no longer running, then suddenly he stopped altogether. “Antioch” he shouted aloud, “So help me God I will Find out what lies behind thy walls” his cry fell on the mists around him, he was in the middle of a dense forest and none were around to hear him but birds and spiders. The prince took a moment to himself to regain his strength, and took out some water. However before he took a drink something bothered him, he did not recall ever getting it. Strange it was to him that it would be on his side now of all times, when he had escaped the Vikings. Yet he didn’t care poison or not, planted on him by enemies or not, he was so thirsty that he threw his head back and drank a great amount. To Manuel’s great surprise, it was not poison. The clear drink was sweet to the taste, but refreshing.

Almost instantly he felt as if his entire body was healed, and his legs which had been burning from running for hours upon end, now felt as if he had just had a good night’s rest. Manuel looked around and saw no one, and then he put the container of water back at his side and sat down against the roots of a great tree that he had stopped by. Now he wanted to think, this was the first time in a great while he had been in a spot where he actually had the luxury of thinking without worry. “Andronicus” he said softly, “You were the first to go, leading the army from the Front on the sands of the east. Then it was Wolf and his five guards who met their end saving me from Darkness. All of this seems to be leading to a war within the Empire, that is something I fear cannot be avoided now.” His voice was not loud, but nor was it a whisper, it held within it no emotion, but that changed. Manuel lifted his head and shouted “And as for you Father I shall take your life Soon enough” his shout echoed back to him over the treetops and hills around, and no beast would challenge it.

“This war” he thought to himself, “It was nothing more than an excuse to take Antioch.” Manuel got up and began to walk slowly away from his seat. He couldn’t see the moon, though he didn’t care much for it, the tops of the forest could not be seen through, but the path the prince was on led him away west. His mind was not settled in its thought, and it continued on with its wondering. “Antioch, it always seems to come back to that word for me. Yet I wonder,” he stopped walking. “If I had agreed to go, could I have helped my brother overthrow our father and prevent this war? I can’t help but think, was I wrong?” No answer appeared.

“I took an oath” Manuel continued as he grasped the hilt of his sword, “That you would never take the blood of a Roman. I must now break that oath, and for that I am sorry, When this is over I shall cast thee into the land and leave you for a worthy warrior of integrity, but now I need your aid in undoing injustice” the prince then began to run again. At first going at a slow pace, he gradually gained speed until he soon burst into speed that was greater than light, or so is said. His legs carried him so fast he could not make out the images he passed, though he knew them to be trees as he was in a forest, but everything appeared to be a blur and haze to him. Manuel was unsure of how exactly long he ran for it seemed like he ran for days on end, but under the trees he could not tell the passage of days. The prince did not stop running, and finally he spied through an opening in the forest; light. “Just a bit more” he cried and ran faster as he came upon the way out.

Manuel dashed under the branches and into the open, almost immediately he fell onto the ground with fatigue. The sun high above was out shinning its bright light all across the meadows and farms, the tall grass swayed in the wind as a slight breeze blew in from the north. Manuel took out his water and poured the last of it into his dried mouth. He then lifted himself up and came to his feet, but what he heard next surprised him. From the south came a great shout and then he could hear the sounds of war. The shrill sound of the clash of Iron he could hear in the distant, and ever persistent were screams, screams of warriors. He could hear the wailing of horses and the pounding of the hundreds of hooves that must have been charging. Without thought he drew his sword and ran with all his might to the south, and as he went farther, so louder did the sounds grow.

Yet they became less and less frequent even if louder they grew, and soon they stopped altogether, but the prince did not stop he continued running even though he realised the battle may be over. Manuel came to a nearby valley where he thought the sounds had come from, and he was right. For down in the land was laid a battlefield. He saw the corpses littered about the land, and he saw men walking among them. Seeing nothing to battle he sheaved his sword and started down the hill. As he walked a number of soldiers came to him, they were of his troop. “Halt” they cried as they moved toward him.

“I would not halt for my own men” shouted Manuel back, and at the sound of his voice the small band of warriors out to greet him almost lost their senses. “Prince” one cried out and threw himself to the ground. The others did so and bowed before him. “Get up” Manuel said, almost half embarrassed.

“My Prince,” their leader said. “Sir we await your command”

“How many are you? And what was this battle about?” asked Manuel who was very puzzled why the War had been taken to Greece.

One replied, “Sir, we heard of your escape from the dungeon with the help of Wolf. However we could not decide who to follow, you or your father, so we fought one another until one side prevailed.”

“How Many men follow me?” Manuel inquired once again.

“Eight hundred sir, and that is with only around one hundred seventy cavalry.” The leader of the men answered, “The Rest are Infantry”

“Very well,” sighed Manuel “inform the men I have returned, and set up camp. Tomorrow we march south”

Monk
01-19-2004, 18:45
Chapter IV part ii

Let battle be joined

With the return of Manuel to his unit, his men rejoiced and each and every one of them pledged to him their lives and services until death or released otherwise. The prince was delighted to hear that his troops followed him again, but he also knew that each of these men would die, for they were just one under strength legion, and all over the Empire’s territory the soldiers of the Emperor waited for him. Countless more warriors, all trained to kill, all prepared to die, and all had heard of the prince, but they were under orders to kill him if they met him. Of course the prince realized this, and at the soonest chance he marched south and avoided direct conflict with any troops of Constantinople for the time being. For two weeks they carried on the march until at last they came to the city of Athens, there they took rest, none knew what Manuel’s goal was, but one thing was certain, they knew he did not intend on coming back alive once he had done what he had set out to do.

The sun was on the western horizon, setting into the night but still shinning its glorious light out onto the land, beneath the halls of stone that had been built in Athens was created a haze of sunlight that poured in from the openings leaving few shadows. Within these halls was standing the prince, leaned against one of the many pillars holding the high roof over his head, and to him, the sun was the Roman empire, fading away against the vast tidings of the night. He knew the war in the east was doing well, in fact word had reached his ear that Armenia had fallen to Roman troops, but the War in the north, he knew was not doing well. First reports from his unit commanders indicated that a large Hungarian force had defeated two legions in Bulgaria and were ready to march south. It seems without a strong commander to help them, those in the north were faltering. He knew that if he were to leave Greece, he would be putting many lives in danger, but he also knew that to stay would allow his father to discover his whereabouts.

“Can I leave them?” he said while still looking out over the land, “Can I just leave knowing full of their fate?” It seemed everything was doing had an impact on something, for if he were to leave, the city of Athens would fall to Christian hands and most likely many would die. Yet if he stayed and defended the city, many of his men would die, and worse yet, his father would discover him and dispatch a number of legions to finish off any survivors. He himself would give his life, but if he was to die now, then who would avenge his brother and stop Alexius? To that question, he could not answer. Manuel let his head fall for he had no idea of what to do. “They call me King” he thought, “But I am not a king I am not a leader, not fit to rule, they don’t ask if that is what I want as my fate, nor do they care. They only want someone to follow and gain honor.”

The prince stood for a moment, but he still did not know what to do. As he stood, the sun sank beneath the earth and its light was finally hid from sight. Overhead the Sky became dark, the stars shone with pride and the moon rose up high to shine. It was the second time he had seen the moon since he was released, and to see it, he remembered an event that happened long ago, an Oath taken by him and his brother when the came of age. It stated that he must, defend the empire until he took his last breath, or suffer damnation and death if he was to break it, and he made his choice. “We stand here” he said at last, and not long after one of his messangers arrived from the north.

“Prince” he shouted as he climbed the stairway to the Manuel. “I Report enemy movement’”

“What news from the north Brave rider?” Manuel shouted back to him.

“Hungary” He shouted back in fear almost “They move upon Greece They will be here within the year”

“So it shall end here” thought the prince, “Ready the Men” he shouted. “We march north”

The soldier bowed and raced his way back down the steps and hoped onto his horse, then sped off into the part of the city where the men of the prince’s legion had quarter. So it was that Manuel rallied what fighters he could and rode north. However the Hungarians took their time, and it wasn’t until 1102 that they marched upon Greece to challenge the defenders under the rebel prince, though they did not know he had rebelled for he still wore the colors of the empire. The two sides met in an open plain bordered on one side by the sea, and on the other by ever rising hills. Manuel drew his battle lines upon a hill, while the Hungarians came into view near the coast. Wasting no time the general of the Catholic army sent out his cavalry to harass the Roman defenders and draw them off their defensive position.

However clever, the ploy failed as Manuel saw through the attempt to make his men charge out and break order, though the curses of his enemy in Latin did make him quite angry. He gripped his sword and prepared his men for a charge. Shouting to his left and right, he drew in his flanks and strengthened his overall position, the Hungarians, tired of waiting, ordered an all out attack upon the princes position with cavalry flanking up on the sides while the infantry advanced through the middle. Manuel’s archers let fly a volley and down went many troops within the ranks of their enemy, but it did not deter their attack. “Cavalry to me” the prince cried, and then rode out upon the left with all of his one hundred seventy horsemen, and it was there that he met the cavalry of Hungary. Many fell in the coming battle that proved both bloody and horrific, but it was the Romans who prevailed and routed the Catholic horsemen, who in their fear forsook the fight and fled off the field.

With the threat of the flank gone, the infantry clashed in the center, and what a clash it was. The surviving Vestiaritae charged their way into combat and met the spearmen of Serbia, which was not under Latin dominion. The swords flew high and the spears were broken, helms were cracked and blood was spilled. Men fell on both sides, but the Romans were losing ground. Though fighting heroically against a much more numeric superior foe, they could not push them back alone. The Psiloi let fly two more volleys and the troops engaged in battle could not ready their shield sand fell under the hail of arrows. Manuel saw his men in the center begin to waver, and led his cavalry around behind the Hungarian troops; they readied their spears and charged against the Catholic general. There was met another battle in which many were slain, and in the end nearly all off the prince’s Heavy horse were cut down before he himself dispatched his foe, throwing him off his horse and driving his sword through him. Then he turned and ordered what was left of him cavalry to make a charge against the backs of the spear lines, and upon their charge the Hungarians lost their courage and left their honor upon the field and fled.

The slain amounted too many, and for the Romans the loss was great, over seven hundred and twenty dead, but their enemies had been beat back and the land had become safe once again. The prince rode through the lines of his men and saw that only eighty men were left alive in all, so few they were that none could find their unit commanders, for all had been slain. They looked upon Manuel; their faces covered in blood, and cried aloud “Victory” Manuel knew that his doom would fall upon these men, but he knew what he had to do. And he Threw up into the air his sword and held it high, and as so he shouted “To Antioch” and they shouted in rejoice. This war would end in the walls of Antioch, one way or another.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-19-2004, 21:21
Great reading, Monk http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-thumbsup.gif

One little glitch though:

Hungarians and Byzantines are both Christians, aren't they?

-Hungarians: Catholic Christians
-Byzantines: Orthodox Christians

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Monk
01-19-2004, 22:53
Quote[/b] (Aymar de Bois Mauri @ Jan. 19 2004,15:21)]Great reading, Monk http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-thumbsup.gif

One little glitch though:

Hungarians and Byzantines are both Christians, aren't they?

-Hungarians: Catholic Christians
-Byzantines: Orthodox Christians

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif
Edited and fixed, thanks for noticing that Aymar. Hmm i knew i had missed something when i went over this the first time but i couldn't figure out what it was, i guess that was it.

have a drink on me Prince Aymar http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

Aymar de Bois Mauri
01-20-2004, 01:33
Quote[/b] ]Edited and fixed, thanks for noticing that Amyar. Hmm i knew i had missed something when i went over this the first time but i couldn't figure out what it was, i guess that was it.

have a drink on me Prince Amyar
No problem http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-thumbsup.gif
Thanks for the drink, and... ...cheers http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

Monk
01-25-2004, 06:55
Chapter IV part iii

The Dawn before War

The battle had ended, and even so the air was filled with the stench of death. The ground was red, stained with the Blood of Orthodox and Catholic blood, and it is said that the color of scarlet did not depart from the soil for many weeks. The slain covered what was once a proud road and hill, few were left standing, and even fewer could bear to look upon the faces of their fallen countrymen. high above, the sky was clouded and the sun refused to shine it's light on the land. The crows could be heard circling, and some were already upon the bodies of the dead.

The prince stood in the center of the carnage, around him laid the broken bodies of his men, he himself was covered in blood, as was his sword. Forgive me he said quietly, he then wiped the blood from his weapon and returned it to it's sheave. There were few survivors, those who had were walking among the dead, trying to find some sign of life, but they could find none. Though the land of Greece was defended, Manuel and his legion had paid for it with many lives.

The prince got back onto his horse and surveyed the land about him. However as he was looking, a strange sound filled his ears; it was the sound of hoof beats. Those left alive shook with fear, they came from all over and rallied to Manuel ready to defend him even if it meant their lives. Yet as they waited with their swords and spears in hand, what came into sight was nothing but a small number of horsemen. It was to small to be any sort of force dispatched by the Emperor, and yet they bore not the colors of the Hungarians.

As they rode closer and closer, the soldiers of the prince readied their weapons for they knew not what these men brought. There was somewhere around four hundred horsemen ridding toward them, of the Vardiarot sort by the estimation of the more experienced troops. They had with them both bow and sword, and were armored in chain mail. At last they arrived on the battlefield, but they stopped on the edge of the field. What this meant those under the Prince did not know, but eager to find out Manuel dismounted and began to go through the field of death. With him went two of his finest men, the finest who still lived anyway. They walked through the piles of the dead and at length came to the end and greeted the riders.

Hail their leader shouted, and the others followed with a shout of the same word. Then he continued, We are from Constantinople and we got news a Hungarian force was marching through Greece, however i see that it has been taken care of My name is Constantine, and i would like to offer my services of myself and my men to you Prince

Manuel did not know this man, but he needed an ally in this grave time, and welcomed both him and that of the other riders into his troop. Constantine then went to explain that he was the guard of the city, and had been told of the prince Manuel and his struggle to restore peace to the Roman Empire. They gathered on the edge of a forest with the survivors of the attack, and after a brief camp, they marched south.

They set out as soon as they could, after the matter of supper had been settled of course, and then they headed south to the ports. Now that he had a larger force, Manuel planned to take a ship into the east and land at Antioch. however he did not know what exactly was there, he knew that fate was guiding him into a battle there. The march lasted for one week, and during it not much of anything happened besides that of a occasional bird or the howl of a wolf, all was quiet.

After the long march they reached the ports, and those there saw the strength that Manuel had and surrendered their docks to him. It took some time but the fleet was called back from sailing in the waters around Greece, and they gathered to carry the soldiers into the east. That is just what they did, for in 1103 Manuel loaded all his men, around five hundred, into the warships and set sail. His destination was all but clear to every man following him, they knew that he was going to Antioch to confront his father and end the long wars that had plagued the Empire for twenty long years.

It was spring when Manuel's force made landfall, and it is an understatement to say his men were happy, they had sailed for two weeks with nothing to do, cooped up in the wooden ships trying desperately to avoid being sighted by any vessel loyal to the Emperor. Now they had finally reached Antioch, but before them as if knowing they would come by sea, was assembled a mighty army of one thousand. Clearly not the full strength of the forces in Antioch, but at their lead was none other than Alexius himself. And as night fell, Manuel tried to formulate his plan.

The forces of the prince made their camp near the shore, it was on low ground and very open to attack, yet there was no other place to go, for just over the hills inland was camped his father. The night was dark and starless, clouds had settled in and there was no light except that of the torches of both armies. Manuel had met with what commanders he had, and there were not many of them. All of them were shouting saying that they were to few, without enough to both protect their flanks and attack at the same time, they said that to move would be a disaster.

Very well then shouted Manuel after hearing enough of his men complaining. He then walked over to a map of the area that he had obtained, Look here we hare he pointed, If your so worried about being split up by them while we advance, then we wont move We will bring the flanks in and strengthen our position, they say the best defense is a good offense. We make them come to us, find their weakest point and drive through it None knew what to say, they didn't have any better ideas so they decided that it was for the best.

In the early mourning before the sun had risen, Manuel ordered his men to draw their battle lines and get ready. The Cavalry were positioned on the flanks and behind the main line infantry ready to give support fire, and the prince himself was in the front with those who had survived the battle of Athens with him.

Soon a bright light could be seen overlooking the hills to the east, and with only the passage of time the light grew greater, it was the Sun rising and as it went it filled the land with it's light. However also to the east, was assembled the army of the Emperor. It seemed he to was ready to battle was was his son. Those under the command of Manuel readied their weapons, bowstrings were drawn and spears were held forth. Then like the sound of thunder there came a cry that echoed from Alexius himself, so loud and terrifying that it shook through the entire province, it was a single word; Destroy

and thus the battle had begun.

Monk
01-26-2004, 22:17
Chapter V part i

Roman against Roman

A volley of arrows were released from the lines of The Emperor, they sailed into the sky over Manuel and his force before screaming and falling down toward his men. They punched into the armor of the horsemen and infantry, but not many troops fell. Manuel countered by releasing a volley of his own, his arrows fell upon his enemy like lightening, but again as before, few fell. There came two more exchanges of fire between the two forces, but then all was silent. As the last arrow fell to the ground and the shouts of single men died away, it revealed that all around was peaceful, but that would not last long. What had been a clear day with the sun shining proudly suddenly changed, clouds rolled in and covered all that could be seen. the wind howled and blew with the ferocity of a thousand storms, arrows would be of no more use to either force.

Manuel rallied his men and attempted to keep order. He shouted to his left and brought his horsemen in closer, as his Infantry packed in tight, it looked like he was insane to his father, and thus he ordered a charge of all his men. There came a great noise as if a clap of thunder, but it was not so, a great horn had been blown by the emperor, as it's echo cried aloud over the empty valley forth went his soldiers. The heavily armored Katapractoi Thundered down through the trees and passed the hills, down came their lances and they screamed as they charged shouting curses to their enemy. The Prince sent forth his own guard led by him, and behind was Constantine leading his horsemen. The cavalry forces clashed on the slope of a hill in front of Manuel's line, and it was here that the true battle for Antioch began.

The prince charged forth and cut a path into his heavily armored foe, with him his guards went and they fought with the power of many men. Each of them had the valor three times that of a normal man, and it showed as they cut down horse and man a like sparing none. Constantine led his men into the fray not long afterward and on his arrival many more fell to the forces of Manuel, spears were thrust, swords sang loudly, and the cries of man could be heard in the ears of all who watched. The blood of the Romans was spilled upon the soil of Antioch, but it would not end here, for even as Manuel routed the Kats sent to stop him, he noticed that marching forth were a line of Vestiaritae with their swords ready and their shields waiting. Infantry to the Front he cried, and obeying his wishes what little foot soldiers he had rushed in front of the cavalry and prepared to take the fight to the enemy.

Both lines of troops closed and clashed on the top of the hill, where at the bottom a field of corpses could be seen, but soon it was clear that Manuel's troops did not have the numbers to hold their position against their foe. However it took little time for the prince to realize this, he led his forces around to the flank and charged the Vestiaritae from behind. Constantine committed one squad of his Vardiarots, they were again led by Manuel himself and they plunged into the fight. It took little time for the enemy to decide that being taken from both sides wasn't good and routed off the field, two full units of the emperor's men, numbering in at three hundred and thirty two, were slain or captured. This did not go over well for Alexius who was by now furious, due to his over confidence in his own men he had lost more than four hundred men. However just as the battle seemed to be going against him, he himself began to march into the battle leading nothing but his unit of bodyguards.

The Prince saw this as a direct challenge to him as a warrior, and ordered that all stay behind and only he and his guards should engage. Constantine objected as the Prince gave him his orders, but to his decline Manuel answered When fate directs us, we must follow. and sped off with his unit of fifty Kataphractoi. Constantine sat on his horse looking somewhat puzzled, and finally shouted What the hell is that supposed to mean? but he wasn't answered and accepted his order at last. he directed the troops to form up in a defensive formation, just in case the prince should die they would make on last stand on the beach near the ships.

Manuel led his men forward, and as the sky above parted and the sun once again shined brightly, he sounded the charge and met his father in combat. The fight that followed is indescribable, not even the bards of later days had the skill of words to tell of the horror and carnage that resulted from it. Men were hacked down and horses wailed as their riders screamed in agony, Spears were broken, mail was ripped, sheilds were splintered and blood was spilled. The battle went on for what seemed like an eternity, until all fell silent as the last of the guards fell from his horse dead. and The only two left alive were The Prince Manuel, and his father The Emperor Alexius.

The Emperor threw down his sword and got off his horse, Get down here and fight me like a warrior he cried, and it angered Manuel greatly.

For what you have done, shouted Manuel as he jumped from his steed, I shall kill for, for all the Innocent you have butchered i will avenge them this day.

And they battled one another, they fought with sword and shield, hacking and slashing away. They fought until the sword of one broke, and that was Alexius.

I have you now, accept your fate Manuel said ready to strike again and finish his father and enemy. but to this, the Emperor only let out a hideous laugh. What is so funny? shouted the prince.

Why you are said Alexius very calm still laughing, then he reached to his side and drew another sword, but this one, unlike any that Manuel had ever seen before, blazed with an inner red light, and one could see a fire burning within it. You seem to have forgotten about this shouted the Emperor once more.

What is that? and what are you talking about? Manuel asked trying to keep his sanity.

Alexius spoke It is the power of Antioch he said very evilly, This is the sword of the Crusaders, forged within the halls of Antioch and empowered to destroy and slay all who oppose he who wields it. You still don't get it do you? he laughed as he stopped, and Manuel only shook his head.

This sword gives me the power to see beyond my realm's borders, I can see enemy troops movement, find traitors before they strike, and track the movements of a certain unruly prince. Oh but the finest power i love of this sword, is that it has the power to influence the people's will. In other words, I will never have to worry about revolt so long as i hold this sword

Suddenly it all made perfect sense to Manuel, before the war he was seen as the voice of the people and spoke out against his father's methods. He was thrown into darkness so a new voice could be made, and his brother's death; Andronicus had the power to call to his aid many men of the army, and with Manuel's help he could have stopped their father. And the Viking's betrayal was clear as well.

Give up shouted the Emperor, Or die. However Manuel did not move, he gripped his sword and said this, and his voice was filled with both hatred and sorrow but it did not shake;

Father, you have murdered my Brother,slain the innocent, and you threw me into the dark for insanity to take. But you did not count on one thing, and that was the power that slept within me to unleash itself. You have killed our people and made their hopes false in this war, promising a prize that was lost to us long ago. And Maybe it is for a reason that we lost Rome, but i do not know, however i do know that with the power of my sword and the might of those who you have killed I will end your rule forever

Manuel's eyes light up with a white light, and his sword suddenly streamed with an aura that seemed to flow from the prince himself. He raised his sword and cried aloud in a voice that boomed with hate Now Die he charged forth and let his sword fall with all his might. The emperor raise up the sword of Antioch and tried to stop his son's attack, but as Manuel's sword come into contact with that of his father's, the Sword of Antioch broke into pieces. The very power that the emperor wanted so much that he tried to kill his two sons to obtain, he had lost.

Manuel's blade came down upon his helm, and a single word escaped the emperor's lips for the last time, Inconceivable the sword struck his helm and he fell upon the ground without life in him. Those within his lines who had followed him thus far, cried aloud if fear and routed, but that did no good for them, for as they ran they were to frightened to realize they had escaped into Syria which was held by The Turks, there were not survivors that ever returned.

Monk
01-29-2004, 23:59
Chapter V part ii

The Byzantine Empire

The dead were resting upon the soil, men of the same country and nation, who fought one another in the name of their lords now could find peace in the serenity of death. It is said among the bards that upon their deaths the ghosts of the fallen gathered above and drank one last hail to their world before they parted to the afterlife, but whether that is true is only legend and myth. The sky which had once clouded over, released the sun from it's prison behind the endless gray as it now shone proudly once more. Down on the ground, was standing all those who had fought in the battle and lived, only around three hundred. To them, they lived to serve their lord and true emperor, and in their minds that was none other than Manuel. However the Prince himself did not feel like a leader.

Manuel Stood among the slain once again, this was the second time in a very short period where he had fought a battle and lived through it. This time his entire guard met their end, and on top of that he had just slain his own father. True Alexius was out of his mind and drunk with power, but Manuel still felt a heavy strain of sorrow on his heart. Nothing he could ever do would remove it, and he knew that well. Yet here he fulfilled his promise he had made some years before, with his sword in his hand still covered in the blood of his father and that of other Romans, he Held it forth with both hands upon the grip and cried aloud. You have done what i asked, he cried Now i place thee here To live in peace Flipping the sword to where it's blade faced the ground, he plunged his sword upon the ground. Antioch's Bane I name thee he shouted out still holding the sword.Then Manuel's voice dropped low and none heard his final verse but him alone, May you rest now.

The Prince rose to his feet and looked about him, and he saw that now his men were behind him with their swords ready to travel anywhere he pleased. However then, on the horizon appeared a strange shape. It was the sight of a sail from afar, Sails, Ships are coming' a shout was heard from the beach as one of the horsemen of Constantine raced up the hill. It holds the colors of the Romans With this all got their shields and weapons ready once more, and Manuel expected to met his death here and now. The ship came in closer and closer to the shore, and soon it was revealed that aboard was a number of warriors. The boat made dock, but they had not flaying the flag of war, nor any flag that declared their allegiance. There came a sounds that the Prince had not heard for many years, it was the horn of Constantinople. The horn was created to be used in times of peace to signal the coming of an emissary, or the passage of large trade caravans, but never had an army used it. Lower your Weapons Manuel shouted

However Constantine did not take this order to heart, They will destroy us if we are not ready he argued trying to convince the prince to be battle ready, but Manuel only replied We are to few to fight, if they wanted to kill us they would have sounded the battle cries and they would be shouting curses to us. the horseman soon realized his folly in objecting his leader and apologized, the cavalry did as the infantry and put away their bows and swords. Across the water on the ship boats were manned and a large force could be seen disembarking upon the shores. Then as it appeared that there was enough men coming in already, another ship appeared out of the mists, then another, soon there were five ships all together that came into the harbor and made dock, sending their men to shore under the signs of peace. What must have been three legions of around four thousand men came to Antioch at that moment. They were quick to order up formations, but not battle formations, they appeared to be in marching columns, they advanced up the hills inland and soon met with Manuel.

Each legion sent forth a rider and two guards for him, making around nine horsemen heavily armored rode out in front of the other men to greet those in front, and at this time they had no idea it was Manuel or his father. From the prince's lines, which by now were very thin indeed, he rode out along with Constantine. The legions advancing inland soon halted leaving their envoys to keep riding on, and their commanders met with Manuel near the center of the battlefield.

What happened here? said one as he came to a stop. However Manuel did not answer at first, he tried to decide if the truth would serve him best and finally answered.

My father is dead. he said calmly, I am Manuel, I have rode through shadow forest and sea to get here. I claim the title of Emperor of Constantinople as my father had lost sight of his duty his voice had risen and shouted aloud by the time he finished, all within the lines of the legion heard it, but not all reacted at the same time. The Nine men backed away trying to decide if Manuel was indeed who he said he was, but as they spoke to one another there came a shout from the legions and it said this; Hail Emperor Manuel Hail

The shout soon echoed in the hearts of all men who had assembled there, and the phrase was repeated, first by few, then by a few more, it was not long until all were shouting praise to their new Emperor. The nine riders had no choice but to accept him as the real thing, for he now had the loyalty of their soldiers. A smile crept across The New Emperor's face, he kicked his horse and galloped forward in front of the men who were pledging their allegiance to him. He came to a stop, and looked upon his people for the first time in many moons, he looked upon them without fear of death or battle, and he was glad for the first time in many years. Those who had been under his command joined the cavalry and infantry units in the legion, but in some way those men held themselves apart from the other soldiers. The few of them who had lived through all the battles would always lift their sleeve and show the scars they had received following Manuel, keeping him alive so that he might rule as the true Emperor.

The Prince, now Emperor, looked about and saw a vast force ready to follow him. And he spoke to them, this time not as an enemy, but as a leader, as the Emperor he had never wanted to be, yet somehow fate had given the power to him. To You he began Those who followed me through hell, through battle and hardship, You have my thanks and forever lasting gratitude. I shall never forget those who helped me in my time of Need, may you men meet good health for as long as you shall live.

He stopped and now he turned and addressed the entire host of his troop. And for those who Come now, he shouted, I hail you to However, i must tell that these wars stop here after this there was a mixed reaction, many did not know what to think. Manuel continued shouting Do you really want to give your life for a city that does not want us? For a home that we have never seen before? Men shook their heads no and cried aloud nay, no, We do not

This War has gone on long enough, I will not see my Countrymen dead over a prize that we ourselves lost And as such, no more shall we call ourselves Roman We are their descendants, but we are not Romans. We started our lives In Byzantium, and In Byzantium we shall fight and die defending out land, but no more shall we try to take the city that does not want us From this day forward Our Empire shall be known as the Byzantine Empire, and our city of Constantinople shall stand to the ends of the earth Let it be known That the Sons of Byzantium shall Not fall

There was a great cry of celebration, and Manuel lifted high his arms, his troops raised their weapons and chanted aloud his name. The Emperor then lead them back onto their ships, and they sailed back to their eternal city. The Rule of Manuel the Great had begun.

Monk
01-30-2004, 01:47
Ten days and no comments, well it happens i guess. What? Nobody wants to come forward with an axe and kill this story? Nobody wants to yell at me on detail errors or anything? Alright then. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-book2.gif

I think there is around two chapters left, i can't be sure until i write them out and see how long they are. Manuel is an Emperor now, well i think we all saw that one coming eh?...no? hmm maybe it was just me then. It's taken me a over a month to get this far, and if i keep working i will have this all finished by Sunday (One can only hope) Until then, Everybody can have a drink on me http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif barkeep, keep Them Drinks coming

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif
until i return with the rest of my story.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ht_knight.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ht_saint.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ht_knight.gif

The Wizard
01-30-2004, 21:04
*turns up with band of varangians*

axes? WHO ASKED FOR AXES? Oh... it's you Monk.

Well... the story is very good Please continue, I'd like to know what the hell is in Antioch that's so important...

*muses*
maybe the unified True Cross? God bless ol' Heraclius... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

~Wiz

Monk
01-30-2004, 21:10
Quote[/b] (Wizzy @ Jan. 30 2004,15:04)]*turns up with band of varangians*

axes? WHO ASKED FOR AXES? Oh... it's you Monk.

Well... the story is very good Please continue, I'd like to know what the hell is in Antioch that's so important...

*muses*
maybe the unified True Cross? God bless ol' Heraclius... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

~Wiz
Shhh You'll give it away http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

But seriously, you'll have to wait. The so called sword of Antioch that Alexius held was but a small bit of the power. The actual city of Antioch exits the story for a time, but it comes back into it soon enough, I think you will be very surprised when you learn of what actually is the source of the power.

Easthaven
02-04-2004, 23:14
Awesome story Monk. You live up to the expectations I had after your last story. I'll be waiting for more. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

kataphraktoi
02-06-2004, 04:08
reminds me, I NEED to have axes in my story.

Monk
02-06-2004, 20:46
Chapter VI part i

War of the Faiths

Manuel Led his troops back to the capitol of his empire; Constantinople. There he sent them into different parts of the Empire to help keep peace. However now should be told of how large The Byzantine Empire actually was, the forces of Byzantium had driven off the Turks and claimed Georgia, Armenia, Rum, Edessa and Anatolia. Add to that the wars in the North which claimed Bulgaria and Serbia to the banners of Constantinople. However by the time Manuel acceded the Throne, Bulgaria and Serbia had been overrun and the Hungarians were ready to march on Greece, had it not been for his return with his legions the Empire would have surely fallen.

Years passed slowly by as the legions were retrained and the Huns were put in check once again. Serbia fell back into Byzantine hands as did Bulgaria. It was not long until the forces of Manuel's Legions marched upon Hungary itself and sacked the city in 1110. With the fall of their capitol the Hungarian empire fell as well, and those who did not die upon the spears and swords of the advancing troops sent forth from Constantinople, they surrendered and pleaded for their lives to be spared. With the fall of Hungary, The Western Christians who had been preoccupied in fighting one another, suddenly took note of the turn of events. The Hungarians had been one of the strongest military powers of the world, and they had just been soundly defeated by the descendants of the Romans. Up to this point, many of the Catholic Kingdoms and realms had regarded Byzantium as nothing more than a shadow of it's former glory, but this one victory by such men sent shock waves through all of Christendom.

It would be the the Spanish who first recognized the large looming threat that the Byzantine empire was. The Spanish empire had grown to it's height, with holdings all along the North African coast and the entire Iberian landmass under their control. Together with the support of the pope and other lesser princes they declared war upon Byzantium, the first strike was on shipping, and the war ships of the Byzantines sunk into the waves as their Spanish enemy advanced. The poles were not far behind enforcing the actions of their brethren, and launched an invasion of hungary which took the defenders completely by surprise. All seven hundred of the Byzantine force was brutally slaughtered, a fact that gained the attention of Manuel.

The sun was high in the sky as Manuel entered his throne room, as the doors opened wide and flew back into the stone making a loud crash, all eyes within turned toward their emperor. Inside was gathered all commanders of the legions who could be spared, along with a number of diplomats and military emissaries. The Emperor walked slowly in, his armor could be seen beneath his cape as he shifted to his throne and took his seat. finally he spoke after a moment saying Report.

A man stepped forward and bowed low, My lord. he spoke trying to act as if he had good news, though that was not the case as one could tell from the expressions he made. Polish forces have invaded from the North he continued trying to hide his fear. They have overrun our position and are threatening to surround our remaining men in a siege. Manuel lifted his hand and stopped his report, the emperor looked about to see his generals had fear in their eyes. then he let fall his arm and muttered a single word; Continue.

Yes Emperor. replied the man. We believe it is only a matter of time before the Spanish begin landing troops in Nicea or Anatolia. As for the Poles, well their forces are within striking range of our outposts. Then Manuel Rose and cast off his cape reveling that his armor was dawned beneath and a sword was by his side. He walked forward until he was near a map that was laid out on a table, suddenly everyone present rushed in to him to see what he was doing. Manuel extending his hand and placed two fingers upon Poland.

The Poles attack From the North he said looking at the map rather curiously. And the Spaniards come by sea to the south. Manuel continued by moving his hand across the paper. Then his hand rested on Italy and suddenly all commanders gasped in fear, and the Manuel spoke once more. And if i'm right, we shall see the Italians from the West.

But, Why attack us? shouted one of his generals who stood nearby.

Why else? Manuel said as he looked toward the man then around at all present. These Catholics and their Holy wars, That's all it is...Another Holy war he shouted as his voice drew ever louder.

I will not stand by and watch as the Empire which has been substained for nearly one thousand years be torn apart by these heathen invaders by now his shouts were very loud, Manuel left his general's side and sat upon the throne once more, then he said this. Gather the men who fill fight, in one weeks time we issue forth from these mighty walls and we meet the Poles on the field of Battle

One of his generals bowed and raced from the room, but just as he did another spoke And the Spanish? he asked.

Let them come... Manuel answered, Spain's arm will be very long indeed if she thinks she can reach us across the Mediterranean

DemonArchangel
02-07-2004, 02:04
THe City is Budapest

Monk
02-07-2004, 03:03
Quote[/b] (DemonArchangel @ Feb. 06 2004,20:04)]THe City is Budapest
I'm aware of Hungary's capitol...i just didn't think about it at the time http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Either it was because i was very tired, or i just couldn't think of it, i didn't write budapest. I wrote this on Sunday night somewhere around 10 pm, and i just now got around to posting it. Yeah yeah i know, a bit late of me http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/joker.gif

oh well no use worrying about it now... Thanks for pointing that out DemonArchangel, i shall be more strict in my final edits from now on.

The Wizard
02-07-2004, 14:47
Quote[/b] (DemonArchangel @ Feb. 07 2004,01:04)]THe City is Budapest
No.

Budapest was two cities in the Middle Ages: Buda and Pest, not unified yet for they were not large enough. They were sitting on the opposite sides of the Donau. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

~Wiz

Monk
02-07-2004, 18:29
2-3 more posts, still cant be sure. and let's not get caught up in debating what Hungary's capitol shall we? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Chapter VI part ii

Fate is Unknown

For five days, Spanish warships were free to terrorize Byzantine shipping, fleets were assembled to stand against such a foe, but such attempts proved futile. Soon the entire Navy of Byzantium had sunk beneath the waves due to the battles with the Spaniards, and in the North things fared no better. The Poles rode down upon the Empire and unleashed their fury which had laid dormant in their lands for many years. Time after time and battle after battle their arrows proved to deadly, their swords proved to strong, and their cavalry to quick. The Polish defeated two legions at Bulgaria and broke through the Byzantines lines and drove down into Greece and claimed that land as well. Athens fell the following month, yet they stopped before reaching the Eternal city, the Jewel of the world, Constantinople, only because they wanted the pride of making Manuel surrender instead of fight.

It was nightfall, well past midnight, when Manuel stepped from the shadows of his citadel upon the walls of the grand city. His eyes gazed westward, and there he could see fire upon the horizon, and he knew what it was immediately. The Catholics were only a few hundred yards away, his best men had been defeated, and now he would be forced to defend his home and city unless he wanted to just give it over to the holy warriors. Manuel did not know what to do, though he did his best to command his people in times of hardship, he was still not a great emperor whatever anyone else may say. Thoughts of doubt filled his mind, and also thoughts of surrender of the city. What should i do? he thought as he rested his arms upon the cold stone of the walls and looked out over the rolling green hills and forests. Manuel then remembered his oath, and he also remembered his time chained in the dark dungeon. i have fought for so long he said softly, with his voice so low it seemed a whisper. and yet it's not over...

The deaths of so many, are they on my hands? Wolf, Andronicus...Father, the soldiers who have followed me thus far. I thought i could end the war by defeating the Hungarians. he stooped for a moment and all was quiet, not even the sounds of an occasional street walker could be heard, and then he slammed his hand upon the wall and said aloud What was it all for?

Have i come this far just to die for the city i tried to protect? his hand began to tremble as he held onto the stone. What is it that i am to do? he cried, but no answer followed. Each time he spoke he was greeted by the harsh of silence, none were around to answer and even if so they wouldn't give him one. Manuel knew that his fate did not hold him to be the Emperor, that he needed to do something else, but what that was he did not know. Then suddenly his heart was filled with anger, but he did not understand why. What is this hatred? he said with the sound of anger in his voice. Where is this senseless emotion coming from? Then there came a flash of light like that of the sun, but it was not. Manuel turned to the east and saw upon the eastern borders he could see a strong white light shinning out like a beacon. The Light was not the sun, for it's light was a white color, the kind of which the Emperor had never laid eyes upon before. As the night went on, the light grew greater, but it was still not the sun for if it was it would have risen, and this light only stood on the far horizon shadowing the sky.

Manuel looked on in wonder as the light grew more intense then there came another flash and then the light was gone. It disappeared from all points and no trace it had ever been there remained. Before the Emperor could even clear his thoughts and wonder of what he had just seen, the sound of pounding feet echoing up the wall stairway shattered the silence around him. Before long a man dressed in the armor of an infantry commander emerged from the shadows and threw himself to the ground. Emperor he shouted still panting for breath.

What is it? what news have you? Manuel replied trying to help him up.

The Poles are moving, they advance. he cried out between gasps for breath. he pulled out a a container for drink, no doubt filled to the brim with water. he placed it upon his lips and threw his head back letting the cold liquid into his mouth. Thats better he said after having a drink. The Poles approach from the North, and we have word the Italians sail from the west It appears you were right my Emperor.

Manuel left the high walls and ordered that the messenger return to his unit. As dawn broke upon the walls of the city, he had gathered together all of his force, which numbered at three thousand. Which the sun rising to their backs they marched forth from the Grand city whose walls reached into the sky, they marched out onto the fields and they confronted the Poles, the coming battle, however unknown to those present, would decide the fate of the very world.

Monk
02-09-2004, 04:45
Chapter VI part iii

The Great Battle

The Forces of Byzantium issued forth from the high walls of Constantinople moving west to meet the Polish force that was estimated to bear near two thousand strong. Manuel gathered with him an army of three thousand, far more than the poles, his men had elements of Varangian, with nearly 120 of their guards in his army. With such an elite core Manuel left the walls of the city ready to win, but as he marched his troops from west gate, there assembled before him was the Poles. They had journeyed in the night and formed up just outside the city.

Manuel could not believe his eyes, his enemy had formed right in his gardens and there was no word of it. Quickly He gave a shrill shout that echoed up the walls, men climbed the stairs and manned the defenses. Arrows were loosed and catapults fired, boulders flew from the high walls and crashed into the ground as the arrows of archers plunged themselves into man and ground. Wasting no time Manuel held high his lance ordered the charge of his men. The Cavalry were the first to leave the walls and they followed their emperor as he let cry the horn of battle and charged forth into the enemy, Kataphractoi charged forth with their lances ready and Stratiofari came close behind with swords and spears in hand. With no indication of fear they swung high their weapons and brought them down upon the knights of Poland, the ground shook as a wave of Polish reinforcements rushed to the cavalry's aid and hit the Emperor's cavalry on the flanks, yet just as they did, forth came the vestiaritae from the gates.

Running forth like water spews from a stream the soldiers of Byzantium charged into the fray and joined their cavalry brethren and fought face to face with their enemy. Though Manuel's force was superior to the Crusading army, they were trapped in a limited space and fighting became increasingly difficult as the bodies of the dead began to amount. The emperor himself was at the forefront of his entire force, forging a path of blood through the Poles as he battled, the cavalry around him were fighting just as hard, and they brought down many a foe with their swords and spears. The militia of Poland and the woodsmen who had followed the Knights Templar in their Crusade were no match for such a fight, yet even though they were being slaughtered, they remembered the words of their High Lord as they departed. So great was their desire to fight and claim a victory in the eyes of their God that they forgot all fear, and as the slain fell, they advanced forth.

Through the Blood of their enemies, the vestiaritae cut a path of death into the right and routed a number of smaller units, however even so, to their horror, the dreaded Knights Templar came against them and threw them back. The Infantrymen usually able to handle the normal cavalry attack now found themselves struggling to keep their footing and sanity. Yet they, like the poles, refused to route. In their minds they knew that to run would be to meet death should their side win, and they also knew that behind them was gathered a number of other infantry units and there simply just wasn't any room to run. The green grass below the warriors of the two peoples was smashed into the ground as arrows fell like rain and boulders came crashing down like lighting. Blood spilled from the fallen, staining the ground, and no end came to it.

Manuel pushed deep into the center of the crusaders line, and finally succeeded in breaking through routing a number of spear infantry. As the forces of the poles routed the Emperor turned his cavalry around and he saw for the first time the battle behind him. His men were being pushed back, slowly but they were indeed losing ground. Then he knew, that no matter what he did, he could not escape the killing. No matter how many lives he saved of his people, there would always be one who wished to fight and take the riches of the eternal city. Manuel threw aside his lance, and drew forth his sword, and with it in hand he sat in the saddle of his horse ready to charge again. With a scream he kicked his horse and it gave a grunt, the noble beast charged into the right flank with Manuel swinging his sword from his right to left, behind him his cavalry raced into the battle once more and met the warriors of the poles from the rear.

Upon their re-entry to battle, many more of the soldiers of the Crusade forsook the fight, but to the Byzantines it mattered not. when a unit ran they swung around and met another in battle, so furious and relentless was the battle that swords shattered from over use. Manuel thundered through to the right, his charge had cut a path straight through to the knights templar fighting against his infantry, but without waiting for his cavalry to catch up, he charged into the fight against them alone. He held up his sword and brought the blade down upon the knights with a fire burning inside of him, one fell, then another. Man and horse were hemmed down in the wake of Manuel, they fell to him like the snow falls from the sky, until finally the remnant of them all charged against him, paying no more heed to the infantry.

The sword of the Emperor clashed with the lances of many knights, and as he battled his cavalry finally arrived and they to entered into combat with the knights. the battle raged on for what seemed like hours, and in fact it was, until finally the final member of the Templar order fell to the blades of Manuel and his guard. With the lose of their cavalry many Crusaders left the field running and screaming, trying desperately to escape the Wrath of Manuel, but he would have none of it. With the look of pure evil in his eyes and a heart aflame with hatred and ordered an all out charge against those who routed. Forth came the surviving cavalry, and they charged down every last man who had run from the fight. All two thousand of the Crusaders who had accompanied their general onto the field met their death, no record exists that tells of survivors. The General of the Poles himself was tracked down not far from the battle, and was killed on the ground he stood on.

Manuel ordered his entire force to regroup, but even so a shout was heard coming from the walls. Spaniards it screamed out with both horror and deep shock. The Emperor turned to see advancing from the south a large number of Spanish forces, dawning their yellow uniforms they marched at a steady pace led by the fierce and noble Knights of Santiago. Manuel lifted his sword high and shouted Form up he cried try desperately to get his men organized. Form the Line he shouted again. The vestiaritae ran from where the stood and made formations behind the emperor and the remnant of his guard. The Varangians readied their swords, and their Viking spirit could be noted as they began singing in the face of the coming battle. What was left of the cavalry rallied behind Manuel, who was determined to make the first charge against his new enemy. The Emperor looked about and saw that his men had fear in their eyes, he also saw that they were exhausted, but he could do nothing but press them on until the day was theirs.

He waited until the Spanish were very near, biding his time to launch his attack, for he knew that his men were to tired to do much running anywhere. Once more he sword went into the air and he thrust it forward into the wind as he horse broke out into a mad charge whose speed could not be matched. By now even Manuel was tired from the constant battle, but he payed no attention to what he felt. Then as his men began their charge behind him with their weapons ready, something changed within Manuel, his eyes then were engulfed by a strange glow and his sword seemed to shine like a beacon as he charged into his fight. Then as he closed with the Spanish he let out a great cry, the likes of which echoed through the land, the likes of which has never been heard of again. It shook the hearts of men and scattered clouds. many of the Spanish threw down their weapons and ran, but there were many still who confronted the anger fueled king, to them was given death by his sword.

Manuel cut into the Asturian foot solders, come from Northern Spain and nearly routed them even as the Varangian Guards charged into the battle ready to aid him. The Spanish tried to wrap their flanks around and encircle the small force that had charged out ahead of the rest, but even as they did so, and forth rode their knights, in came the rest of the forces of Byzantium and with their help Manuel shattered the morale of his foe. Many routed from the new attack, but there was one man who refused, even as his soldiers all fled around him, and that was the general of the Spanish force.

He stood among the bodies of his followers and guard, no longer upon his horse, but standing. In his left hand he held a banner of his king, and in the right he held his sword. Even when all the forces of Byzantium came before him, he stood there waiting for anyone foolish enough to ride against him. Yet to his surprise only one dared, and that was the Emperor Manuel himself. He rode up upon his heavily armored horse with his weapon ready and shouted to the man before him.

What is it you wanted? he cried, his hatred was evident as he readied his sword.

The Spanish man replied, The same thing you want i would guess. said laughing, as if Manuel was not serious. We came here to crush you, to reclaim the power that is ours.

What? screamed Manuel, again his anger showed itself in his eyes.

Antioch, answered the Catholic man. We want it back.

You want Antioch? laughed Manuel. How fitting that you have come all this way just to fail.

We may have failed The general replied, trying to seem proud about losing more than a thousand men. Yet even so, there will be others. You have defeated us, but there will be another who takes my place, and another after him. The Spaniard let his pride show, smiling and at times laughing as he shouted.

Never will we surrender it to you

Manuel had had enough, he gripped his sword with all his might and shouted What is the power?

There came a menacing laugh from the Spanish man, he could not believe the question just posed to him. You mean you don't know? he asked not able to contain his laughter. All this time and you have learned nothing. I'm afraid you fill find out nothing from me.

With that Manuel threw back his shoulders and forced his tired horse to charge forth again. He held his sword into the wind as he sailed by. The Spanish General threw down his banner and took his sword with both hands, Manuel drew nearer and they two met. There came a great flash and Manuel rode through his enemy. The Spanish General fell to the ground clutching his chest, then he collapsed unto the soil by the bodies of those slain.

The Emperor gathered his men together and marched back to Constantinople victorious, yet his mind would not ease, and as the sun rose in the sky past noon, he asked himself in a cold voice; What is my destiny. then as his men went back through the gate on the eastern side of the city, he looked toward the east where Antioch would be, and shinning brightly there was the white light that he had seen the day before.

Edit: spellcheck changed Varangian to Orangutang...don't ask me why... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-wall.gif

Aymar de Bois Mauri
02-09-2004, 19:00
Awesome, Monk http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-thumbsup.gif

Epic http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-grin.gif

Monk
02-11-2004, 01:50
Chapter VII part i

A Mystery Solved

The Sun escaped behind the hills of the West, yet the horizon was still ablaze with it's fiery pride. The day was won for the people of Byzantium, Manuel had saved his empire from destruction by the use of his sword. However he was not pleased, for once more his hatred had consumed him as he fought. The Power that dwelt inside of him, he had no idea of where it had come from, yet it alone gave him the ability to drive back his enemies in a single day. Both the poles and the Spanish had been driven back, and their Eastern armies had completely destroyed; Constantinople was saved, yet at what cost?

That was the thought of Manuel as he led his men back through the gates of Constantinople. Around him the commoners cheered for him, throwing roses at the feet of his army. He could hear the praises of the old, the shouts of the men and the cries of the women who all hailed him and his skill at arms. Night was settling in, but as he marched through the streets the Cries did not die down. However Manuel had his head hung low, he looked down upon the streets of his home, the city of Constantine who built a second capitol to the ancient empire, it now served as the home of the heirs to the Ceasers who ruled a Byzantine empire, not a Roman. His men advanced past him, and they returned to their quarter, some went home to rest, others went to the Mead halls and Taverns and sang songs of their deeds just done. Even after all left the streets to sleep, Manuel still sat upon his horse, and though he didn't realize it, his horse had fallen asleep. Though if he did know, he wouldn't have cared. He did not want to go inside or return to his Citadel, for he could not erase from his mind the words of the Spaniard.

Manuel thought for what seemed like a lifetime in that street, with his armor stilled dawned holding a sword which was covered in the blood of his enemy. His thoughts searched for an answer in the vast amounts of knowledge held within, but even through all his learning he could not understand what was in Antioch. It defied logic, already many thousands had meet their deaths in the name of said power, Manuel tried to sift through evidence, but it was like looking for the key to a hidden door, in the end even with the key you cannot open the door you seek. I cannot find the answer he aid at last.

Through all my attempts I can't do it. Manuel felt as if he had failed those who had fallen in his name, he promised that he would end the wars that had plagued the reign of his father, but he couldn't do it. Thousands had died in his reign, and still the war raged on. Crusaders sought to claim the City of Antioch once more, but why. The Power... he muttered. But then there came a noise from the shadows of the street. The Emperor readied his sword but he couldn't see straight, his eyes darted back and forth searching for the sound but they could not fix on any one thing. His vision was blurring as a figure appeared out of the dark, yet even he could tell it was a person.

Who are you? he shouted. There was no answer. The Man, if it was indeed a man, just stood there as if studying Manuel. A sort of shadow seemed to flow from him as he stood, he was caped in darkness, but no clear cloth could be seen. The Emperor began to think it was only his weary eyes playing tricks on him, but then before he could wake his horse and ride away, this figure spoke. The sound that came from what seemed to be his mouth was horrible and sharp. It sounded as if ice had formed in this man's heart and his tongue had been made into a knife, for his words were cold and shrill. This is amusing he laughed a horrible laugh.

Wh-What do you want? shook Manuel, he could not conceive why, but his heart filled with fear just to look upon him, and to hear she shadow's words put pain on his ears.

That is an odd question. replied the shadow, his voice seemed to grow with a hint of anger, though it was hard to tell. But i shall answer, Though you may not understand the words i use. I am known as Ugûrz, and i have come to you because you need answers.

Leave me shadow Manuel cried readying his sword, but the figure was unimpressed.

I will not fight with you, answered Ugûrz But i will strike if you attempt to slay me. it was clear that he was serious, and he continued You wish to know of Antioch do you not? It was an obvious question, everybody wanted to know what was there, nobody understood what the power actually was.

Yes i do. Manuel replied, his voice was trembling.

Then listen well. replied the shadow. and he began to tell a tale of Antioch, the kind of which has not been told for many centuries. Long ago he began. A great order of priests came to the place that you now call Antioch, there they called out to the gods to give them the power to create a power that could lead the World into a new age of learning.

Go on Manuel said noticing Ugûrz had stopped. please do not stop.

The shadowy Ugûrz let fall his dark arms and continued, The Gods heard their cry and debated on what to do, but finally they agreed that the world needed a light to lead them, and they empowered the priests to create a power that the way they saw fit. The high priests used their power, and forged together a great and single jewel, into which they poured all the energy from the heavens they had been given. But they saw a problem i ntheir new creation.

The Gods gave Man an instrument to rule Manuel said, What was the problem?

Ugûrz replied At first nothing, but soon a power mad king claimed the power for his own, and he proceeded to conquer all of the world. For countless decades his armies destroyed, plundered, and claimed land for their own. Until their finally the Gods saw their mistake, and issued forth from heaven to battle this man. The Armies of the Gods, who led countless heroes of past days met the King on the sands of Egypt, and there was fought a battle so great, that the cries of the dead are still echoed in the blowing sand to this day.

What happened? pressed Manuel. He did not know if he fully believed this story, but it was the only one he had been given on this subject, and after many years of wondering he did not question it.

Ugûrz Took a look at Manuel and said The Gods prevailed. They cast down the King and damned all his followers, they chained him beneath the earth to remain in darkness until the end of time. Yet they found they could not destroy the gem of Antioch.

Why not? The Emperor asked. They were gods right? What was the problem?

It is not that simple answered Ugûrz, The Jewel was a creation of their power, they could not destroy it without doing great harm to all things created. However there was an alternative. They broke the Jewel into two pieces, they thought that if both were hidden, they could never allow one man to become so powerful again. They thrust one of the pieces into the the land where the city of Antioch is know. they then cast around it a great tomb to keep it from surfacing again and placed a guard of the mightiest of their champions upon it.

And the other piece? asked Manuel.

The Other piece was taken hold of by the greatest of Gods, and he used all his power and destroyed it causing the jewel to pass out of out space and time. However, using all his power, the chief God could no longer live and he fell. Yet before he died, he prophesied that every one hundred years a man would be born who commanded the power of the lost piece. That man is you Manuel, at least this time around.

Finally many answers to questions that had haunted him for years were revealed to the Emperor. Your power that surges through you when you battle continued Ugûrz, is part of Antioch's power, so to speak.

What can i do? Manuel asked. I feel as if i am drawn to that city.

As you should be. Ugûrz replied. For the jewel had such power that it also has a will. And it's greatest desire is to be made whole again. The only way for that to happen, is for you to claim the other half of the power. The shadow stopped.

But in doing so, you shall be destroyed he then said. Manuel's heart was again filled with fear. Yet Ugûrz continued saying However, it has long been said among the wisest of the World who still know of the jewel's existence, that if the man who posses the lost power reunites the two pieces, then it shall disappear from the world now and forever. However it is just a myth among us who still know the story.

Manuel looked down at the ground and thought for a moment, but he did not know what to do. His very life may now be in danger from a power he has seen all to often, but when he raised his head to speak to the shadow again, it was gone. The Emperor looked about frantically but saw no one. He thought for a moment, but all was still not clear, How did the crusaders and my father gain the other half? he asked himself. He nearly expected somebody to answer him but nobody did, off in the distance he could hear the songs being sung at the tavern, and then he said aloud to himself. If it means to end this power's existence, i will go to Antioch.

Teutonic Knight
02-11-2004, 20:02
glad to see you acted on the feeling wonderful work so far http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Monk
02-13-2004, 00:23
who would have thought it would take me nearly two months to write this? i know i didn't...

Chapter VIIpart ii

The Enemy of my Enemy...

In the days after the great battle, the bodies of the fallen littered the fields as far as the eye could see. Men of Poland, Swabia, Leon, Castile, Aragon, German, and Byzantium laid upon the green which was now stained red. Many could be seen walking among the field, putting those fallen to rest. Yet many were left to rot on the land, for the people of Constantinople had no love for the Crusaders who cam to their land and killed in the name of a power that was not theirs to begin with.

One full week passed by, and Manuel returned to his High citadel and oversaw his lands. He tended to matters of economy and government, making at last peace with the Turks who had migrated North into the land of Khazar. He sent peace envoys down to the Land of Egypt and made an alliance with the Egyptians, promising never to take arms against them so long as his empire stood. To the Arab princes, Manuel was very different from his Father. Where Alexius had conquered mercilessly, He had brought peace. Where his Father had plundered, Manuel brought trade and made the Land flourish. It was by him that a time of peace settled in the lands east of Constantinople. Under the influence of the Byzantine Empire, the Almohads ended their long war with the Egyptians, the Turks found new homes to the north by help of Byzantine scouts, and once more trade fleets were seen carrying the banner of the Emperor.

Thus the World entered a new age, well not the world, it would be more accurate to say that the East settled into a new age of peace and learning. For though the kingdoms of the east were not of all the same religion, they had one thing in common. From the Sands of Morocco to the hills of Greece, the people valued art and learning. From Byzantium to Africa, all people became as brothers to one another, no war ever again ravaged the land between them.

However the most significant point that must be made, is that each of these nations all at some point had fought Crusaders of the Western states. The Byzantines had at one time been allies with the men of the west, but ever since Andronicus defeated the German Crusaders at Antioch the two were biter rivals. The Egyptians were no different, in fact their land of Egypt had fallen to a Spanish crusade some years before, but since had been reclaimed. Manuel proposed that if all three joined together, no Holy warrior would ever set foot in the East. Having Migrated north the Turks were the first agreed and vowed to guard the black sea and the paths that led south into Georgia. The Almohads Built a great armada of war ships, and vowed to block the way by sea. Manuel Vowed to Guard the over land route through Asia Minor, and the Egyptians along with the Calif of the Almohads swore that no Christian man would ever hold ground in Africa, lest he be of Byzantine birth.

However, the West was not pleased when they learned of the turn of events. They could not believe the news when that came out of their Holy Land. The Realms that settled in their paths had allied together to bar them from their prize. But they especially could not even fathom that Manuel had the tenacity to hold a pact with Muslims, he was a Christian after all wasn't he; in their minds he was not. it did not take long for the pope to call together the most powerful Kings of the West and denounce the Byzantine empire as nothing more than a land of heretics. The Greek Empire he said, he referred to Byzantium, but to the men of the West the Holy Roman Empire were the only true descendants of Rome. They will fall beneath out might he screamed at one of his meetings. He described the practicing of false religion within its borders and called them heathens no better than the pagans to the north. Pope Leo IV called to England to form a Crusade to not only capture the Holy Lands, but to defeat these vile humans and send them to hell.

William III was quick to agree and put up the funds that was necessary to launch it. It took him only one more year to do so and in 1111 AD he declared the Crusade that would journey to the heartlands of the Alliance, the land of Tripoli. He set out early in the year and passed through most of Europe gathering support. He marched his band of holy warriors into Italy and used their ships to Transport him as far as Rhodes before the Almohad and Byzantine navies cornered his fleet and forced them to Land in Nicea. They hit landfall and moved westward looting and pillaging as they marched, but to their surprise they found none to meet them. They passed into Anatolia in 1113 and still they found no sign of Byzantine military forces, but that didn't stop them from looting and having the best time they could. They may have had a Holy cause, but who said crusades had to be a church matter.

The Crusaders made their way to the docks and to greet therm they found a number of ships, William III was a crafty leader and decided to just steal them to sail to Tripoli himself. His force set out upon the water again, but was unable to reach Tripoli due to a large number of war ships patrolling the trade lanes around the coast, instead he hit land in Antioch, and thus the fate of the World would be changed forever. For before them Manuel had gathered together five thousand men from both Egypt and Byzantium, the crusade had three thousand, here would be fought the Third and Last battle of Antioch.

One more post to go... yes almost done...i'm so close i can feel it. I was going to post both at the same time, but i still have to work on this last one, so i give you this little part until i post the last part. And it won't be long...

Monk
02-13-2004, 01:26
Chapter VII part iii

The Power of Antioch

Thus assembled the armies of the three mightiest Realms; the Western Kingdom of Christendom, the Empire of Byzantium, and the sultanate of Egypt. Together over eight thousand men had come to do battle, and upon the field of Antioch they drew their lines on last time to decide the fate of all. The Crusaders had their lines set up in the west just inland from the sea, as Manuel had placed his men high over top a hill along side the cavalry heavy army of the Egyptians. Manuel had the most men at his disposal commanding around three thousand five hundred, wile the Egyptians had only half that, but even so they felt as if they were the greatest warriors of the world. they shouted aloud thrusting their weapons into the air shouting cursing to their enemies.

William's arm steadily advanced up the hill with their swords ready, the knights templar were leading the way into the enemy. Manuel answered by leading his cavalry out on the flank of his army hoping to draw the knights off of their main attack. His horsemen rushed down the hill and fired off a few volleys at the knights, and the men of the templar order were angered greatly. They cared no longer for the battle but gave chase to Manuel and his Kataphracts. He drew his enemy apart then he sounded the horn and his infantry charged down the hill and fell upon the forces of the crusade. The Men of Egypt followed with a flank attack and enveloped the Crusaders right while the Byzantines slowly smashed their way through the center of the Battle.

Having denied the English king his greatest advantage; using his knights in the main clash. Manuel turned and charged into the fight against the knights, who were by now far off to the left of the main battle. However brave, Manuel's cavalry were armed with valor and cut into the knights sending many into the ground, the survivors routed after a brief skirmish, but the emperor's guard chased them down and slaughtered those who tried to run.

The Battle on the hill dragged on, but it was not long before the soldiers of Byzantium cut a path into the lines of the Crusade and turned a route. The King of England, who had been one of the greatest champions of his people, routed. He ordered his men to ride north and regroup. he and his guard of twenty escaped the battle, but they were pursued by Manuel and his sixty guards.

Manuel led his men over numerous hills and through many valleys before they caught sight of the English king as he ran, he ran for what seemed like miles, but no where could be seen his guards. Manuel did not care, he pressed his own followers on north in hopes of overtaking him. Yet it seemed as if the faster he pushed his own horse and that of his men, the farther away his foe got. He chased his enemy for miles, until finally after ridding for three long days and nights, he overtook him and killed the king. As Manuel removed his sword from the body of the dead man, he looked up and to his great surprise he saw the Castle of Antioch. He could not believe it, his eyes strayed down at the King he had just slain, but his body was gone and there was no hint of his blood upon his steel.

His men followed him into the gates but found no one there, no guards no watchmen, nothing. It was as if every man had left their duty behind and fled, but nothing seemed to make any sense anymore, so he paid little heed to it. Placing his sword into his sheave Manuel passed in through the second gate and found that again nobody was there. He shouted out Keeper of the Castle yet there was no response, Manuel looked about and shouted up again, but there was no sign of life. Then suddenly the doors leading in the keep flew open as if a great wind had just hit them with all its force. The Emperor turned to his men and said Wait here, i do not know if i shall return. they agreed to wait and dis mounted from their steeds.

Manuel walked to the open door and drew his sword again, then with a look back to his guards he passed into the hall. Within the Castle, all was silent and dark, no torches were burning, and no light came in from any opening, behind him the old doors slowly closed and gave a great sound as they latched themselves. Then from nothing fore sprang to life in the torches, as if called to being by some force. Manuel held his senses and continued in, still holding his sword ready, he did not know what he was looking for, only that he needed to be in the castle. As he walked he heard a great sound as if thunder, he shifted to his left and readied himself, then the floor seemed to open and there was a stairway that led into a dark passage. I grow tired of this Manuel shouted, but there was no answer, the halls of the castle only echoed back his shout as if saying they tired of holding the secret power. Slowly The emperor moved down into the dark, he could not see far in front of him but somehow his legs found the right places upon the stone below, as if he had been there sometime before.

Manuel went down into the dark, as he went he couldn't help but notice that soon he could feel a cold wind upon his face, and it seemed to him that the passage was growing brighter. Soon his thoughts were confirmed as his sword began shining in the faint light, but he didn't notice it even if he looked down upon his blade. Manuel moved like a shadow now, trying not to make noise until finally he came to the bottom. When his foot touched the last step he nearly expected to find another step after it and almost lost balance, but he retrieved his sense and continued on. Before him was a great hall in which many torches were hung upon the walls, the walls themselves held some sort of writing, though he could not decipher it. as he looked about the room, he noticed that some distance away was a wooden door of great hight, behind which he could see a great white light emitting from inside. Manuel Walked closer and noticed a large being standing near the door.

The Man, if it was a man, was ten feet tall and armored from head to toe in a bluish black armor that seemed to shine in the torchlight. Manuel approached and said Greetings guardian. but there was no reply, the figure just stood there as if in deep meditation. I seek the power. Manuel then said, and with that the guard came to life. He tightened his grip on his huge sword and said;

Who is this man who wishes to claim the power of the Gods? His voice nearly shook the whole castle it was so loud and great, yet there was no anger in it. Manuel looked up at his face and answered trying to keep his voice from trembling.

I do he shouted.

Ah yes. the Guard answered. I knew you would be here sooner or later. You have come to claim the power as your own?

I have Manuel replied trying to sound proud.

Then know this The guard said, he who claims the power of the Gods shall wield its power till that mortal dies, but shall also be damned and will lose thyself.

I hold the lost piece of the jewel Manuel shouted when the Guard was about to open the door beyond. The large armor clad figure turned and said Then you know that you shall be destroyed if you reunite them?

I do, Manuel replied. But it is something i must do.

Then go shouted the guard, his voice once more shoot the ground. Suddenly the doors beyond opened and a light flowed from within, a light that was so pure it covered the room and left no shadows behind. The Emperor covered his eyes for a moment afraid to look into the light, but he then realized he had to go forth. He removed his hands from his eyes and raced forth into the chamber, as he did two of his guards came rushing down the stairs shouting Egypt they have betrayed us but when they found their Emperor was nowhere to be found, they wondered where he could be.

They Asked the Guard, but he would not speak.

Where did he go? one shouted,

he was here wasn't he? I'm sure of it another said.

Damn if we can't find him Egypt will tear us apart the first shouted. If He was on the battlefield he might have stopped them from ambushing us on the way home

Then they heard an ear piercing scream that came from the wooden door, behind which no light now shone, then all was silent. The two guards stood trying to hear anything they could but heard nothing. he gotta break this door down. one shouted. However as they drew their swords ready to break into the room beyond, the very doors they sought to bring down opened and swung forth. then out from within a great light shot out, as they shielded their eyes, they saw that walking toward them was Manuel, yet he was changed. He himself was clad in a pure white armor and around him an aura of light shinned out like the sun.

Emperor one shouted. but Manuel did not respond. his eyes were shut and his sword was no longer by his side. Leave here now, he said finally.

But we cannot Not without you Egypt has declared war and we need your leadership However Manuel did no answer, his light then grew more great and pure, and suddenly he vanished into a flash. The two guards were astonished and asked the keeper of the power where he was, they repeated their question over and over until finally he answered.

Your King is Gone he shouted, had he let his voice go any loud he might have brought down the castle.

We need him to lead us They cried. We are on the brink of a new war

New War? the guard laughed. You've been at war for the last thousand years. Conquering and fighting and for what? Land... The Gods deemed long ago that you would suffer the fate of your arrogance, and that is now. Your Emperor was the only one left of the Romans who had honor. Accept your fate, and know that your doom is near

Then he too disappeared into a flash, the two guardsmen had no idea of what to do and they ran out from the Castle. They ran from the gate to find their former Emperor standing before them, and as they looking into the Horizon they saw what seemed to be thousands of Egyptians charging forward with their weapons ready. Manuel stood in his armor, a light shinning from his like that of a thousand torches, then he held up a sword high into the air and charged forward. His fate, along with that of all Byzantium was to die in battle on the swords of their enemies. The former Emperor charged into his battle and fought for hours without end, legends say he killed nine hundred men alone using the power of Antioch before he fell, and when he did fall the light fled from him and vanished from the world forever.

Without Manuel, the Byzantine Empire fought a number of wars that saw it's downfall, and when their doom came, the descendants of the Romans stood proud and accepted their fate with the pride and dignity of past days. They died in those dark days, but their spirits lived on, and their domains fell under the sway of others. But never was there a leader like that of Manuel, who joined the true Masters of the World in the halls of his forefathers.

I am done, and thats all.. if you are dissapointed by the ending then i'm sorry i wasted two months of your time. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-book2.gif

other than that, this is the end...

but in any case thanks for reading.

Easthaven
02-13-2004, 04:43
Job well done, Monk, a job well done. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

I will be waiting anxiously for another story with your name under it.

frogbeastegg
02-13-2004, 10:01
Finished so soon? Curses I still can't think of anything to say outside of a generic http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Anyway here you go, one 'epic Monk' badge that entitles you to free drinks of whatever variety you want in recognition of your work.

Make the next story longer Two months is barely any time to think up a suitable comment

The Wizard
02-13-2004, 10:28
And that is why it is a good comment Froggy. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

All I can end this with is a simple:

Grrrrreat

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-thumbsup.gif

Monk
02-13-2004, 18:49
They liked it?

Two months of hard work. Thank you for your kind words, but now i need a break. Hah i have been writting this for two months and finally it is done, thats longer than my last one took. For now, this Monk is gonna take a holiday. I need some time away from writting or i might just take a hammer to my keyboard http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Ludens
02-14-2004, 11:37
Quote[/b] (Monk @ Feb. 13 2004,18:49)]this Monk is gonna take a holiday.
Splendid, that leaves me more time to thing about what I am going to say. This will be a difficult one. At some points, I was completely absorbed in the flow of the story (insofar that is possible when you are reading from a screen), at others I was wondering when it would get interesting again. It started off very good, but you couldn't keep it up. Still, it is a very commendable effort. Enjoy your holiday Monk. Don't let the nit-picking of this arrogant ashigaru get in the way http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

Kommodus
04-13-2004, 16:50
I liked this story a lot, bro. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif I have a question about your campaign: Did your Byzantine Empire really end up defeated and conquered? If MedMod is really that tough, I'll have to give it a try.

Monk
04-13-2004, 22:09
Quote[/b] (Kommodus @ April 13 2004,11:50)]I liked this story a lot, bro. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif I have a question about your campaign: Did your Byzantine Empire really end up defeated and conquered? If MedMod is really that tough, I'll have to give it a try.
Yes it did.

Manuel I was the last great Emperor, the last warrior king. When he passed on a new emperor came to power, but he was not as great, and each generation saw a king of lesser ability rise to power. slowly over the course of fifty years the Empire lost a number of battles that would ultimately decide its fate. The empire was weakened greatly, and due to MeadMod's Homeland unit creation (Units can only be created in Homeland Provinces) getting men to the front was not all that easy.

The Turks rode south again, having built a new empire on the steppes, and challenged Byzantium there. With a two front war with equally great enemies the empire fell in the year 1204, the final city to fall was, of course, Constantinople. The last defense came in 1205, when the last emperor, Alexius IV rode out from the city gates with his last one hundred loyal warriors and met his enemies head on in the open plain. He himself was slain, along with most of his men. Thus ended the Byzantine Empire.