PDA

View Full Version : Review Forum

Papewaio
12-22-2003, 00:04
This is a quote from Kongamato:

Quote[/b] ]This policy extends to software, especially Rome: Total War. In many ways, MTW and the PM 5.1s have been similar. They are both top-of-the line products that score very highly with reviewers. However, their innovative exteriors hide flaws and bugs that ruin the experience for many of their customers. This is not reported on by review sites. There are no articles that pop up a month later describing prevalent flaws and bugs. I want there to be more than just one angry reader review in the sea of fanboy articles that to me seem to be written to confirm their writer that they spent their money wisely. In my opinion, citizens need to realize that this world can be a whole lot better and that they have the power to make it that way. File lawsuits. Write objective reader reviews of good and bad products. Send angry letters. Get educated. Vote. Cut your own piece of the pie.

Now we have the apothecary, and we have some great reviews, insights and guides (ie FBE's).

Now what I was thinking was a mini-forum much like the monastery to talk about games in general, but with a much more critical edge. Not just saying how great a game is, but its flaws and what things that could have been done better after one has played the game for awhile (past the new CD smell http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif )... our own review site. Combine it with a poll and you have a nice rating system. The main point is to look at the longevity of games and say why we still play them. From Shogun to CIV to Pacman.

Sometimes we find flaws in a game... like the game interface sucks... then someone else may point out that it can be changed in the options panel or that shortcut keys etc.

Ludens
12-22-2003, 01:39
I like the idea.
But don't you risk having the good qualities of a game drown in a sea of reports about bugs, errors, etc, none of which serious, but which would just make the good features same "insufficient"?
I hope you know what I mean.

Papewaio
12-22-2003, 02:19
More like a distilled report of the game with more analysis like the Monastery/Apothecary. Not a 95% as rated by 'gerbal impersonating reporters' style we get in mags which are more like paid adverts then the low down. Most PC mags are about the glossy first instant review and is paid to look good as well. The forum I am thinking about is 3 months down the track how good is the game and what went wrong in it.

Linear plot lacking replay value.

Clunky interface. Need to click through 8 menus to shoot etc

But not just suxors... real indepth critic reviews with ideas how you would like it (leave the how it could be done or the $ to the developers).

Nowake
12-22-2003, 12:33
It is a good ideea, but ..

.. the forum should be restricted to strategy games only http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/read.gif Imagine debates over Premier Manager etc. A strategy games forum review would be good, and full with usefull info even for CA I guess http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

Plus, the Aphotecary si for bugs, we should have this for gameplay and generally concept flaws only.

frogbeastegg
12-22-2003, 12:47
A games review and discussion forum is a good idea as a small 'offshoot' forum in the same tone as the Monastery, Mead hall, Throne Room etc. It probably wouldn't get a lot of traffic but so what? As long as people can remain critical instead of going berserk and panning a game totally because they didn't like it the idea would be very interesting. It should be easy enough to knock together a list of rules and helpful hints for writing a fair but critical review, sticky it at the top of the forum and people will know what they are supposed to do. The unfortunate moderator could play wack-a-mole with those breaking the rules http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I like the idea of swapping 'fixes' for problems with a game. There is nothing so good for the eyes as finding out Alpha Centauri has a zoom control that can mimic resolution changes so you don't have to play it in superchunkyvision Go to this forum and complain about the unfriendly grpahics, then someone will (hopefully) tell you to zoom out a little and problem solved. Very nice idea.

I don't see why it needs to be restricted to strategy only, after all the tavern gets a lot of topics on other game types so there is most definitely an interest. Sometimes other games can contribute ideas that can improve other genres, for example a RPG could offer ways to polish up the V&V system. It wouldn't clutter the forum up too much as long as each game was limited to one topic and one topic only. One topic for MTW, one for STW one for KOTOR one for EU2 and so on. Any new topics springing up on an existing game just get merged with the original.

At the moment the Mead Hall does critical discussions of game plots and characters but not gameplay mechanics, reviews etc. That little bit of er, mandate? job description? can be shifted over to another forum easily enough. It's just a matter of saying go to the new forum instead, no topics to transfer or anything because it has been a bit quiet (understatement ).

Just one tiny question - what do guides have to do with this proposed forum? I had toyed with the idea of proposing a guide forum so all the guides (there are quite a few out there on various subjects and more coming in the future) can be bundled together in a place where junior patrons can post. It would clear out some of the clutter in the other, busier forums and enable newbies to post in some of the other forums guides. Then I remembered that people wouldn't notice this specific forum when they wanted help - even if the forum was called "Guides Guides Guides, get your guides here: Everything you ever wanted to know about TW, answers all questions here" in inch high flashing neon letters. Anyway most of the guides newbies can't post in are not aimed at newbies in the first place. Also some of the guides (eg modding guides) are better off where they are now. It would be totally redunant forum and possibly make things worse in terms of repetitive questions.

One final question - what on earth could we call this forum and keep the medieval theme? It's not like the average medieval monarch has a games room or something else with a suitable name. Maybe we would need to branch off into Rome?

TosaInu
12-23-2003, 23:56
Interesting topic.

TosaInu
01-17-2004, 12:01
More ideas please?

el_slapper
02-04-2004, 17:26
name : the jester's room(that is as long as we're medieval).
Circus maximus(once we're Roman).

I'd have some things to say about Victoria... Excellent game, but..... damn, the forum is not yet opened

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif