PDA

View Full Version : The Scicillian Empire

Ashen
01-02-2004, 16:22
Now, This is more of a descriptive walkthrough than a story, since although I can write, I don't like it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif ALthough someone like monk is welcome to spice it up if he wants http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

This is about my latest expert level game with the Sicillians. I've never won with them, or with the Aragonese, which is my next game. This is basically an overview of each king, their achievements, and major events that happen in their lifetimes. I'm rewriting history ^^. Anyway, here we go.

---------------------------------

Founding of the Empire

No-one knows who founded the trading empire of Sicily...His name has been lost in the mists of time. Somehow, this king united the Islands of Sicily and Malta together, and bound them with his powerful naval forces and small but experienced ground forces. All was well until the emergence of other mediterranian nations which is where the outline of the empire begins

King Aed the Second (1102-1121) (The Seafarer)

King Aed II is the man who had the foresight to know that Sicily had to build up its naval power and take control of the sea by force; Unfortunatly, the powerful Byzantine Empire had the exact same idea, and King Aed's reign turned into a bit of a naval cold war..Both sides building up naval forces.

It was Aed who broke the peace, Engaging the Byzantines in 8 seperate sections of the Mediterranian, and suprisingly, winning 7 of the engagements, loosing only 2 ships for 13. He quickly capitalised on his chance, and invaded Crete, Rhodes and Cyprus, who all had small garrisons of Byzantine troops. They Fell.

Offering a ceasefire to the Byzantine Emperor, who must have noticed the power of the Sicillian navy, he accepted, but trained up his land based armies as he was worried by the rapidly expanding Turks and Egyptians.

And there ends the reign of King Aed The Seafarer, who expended the lands of Sicily and made them the most powerful mediteranian naval power in under 20 years

King Adam the First (1121-1152)

King Adam the first was a great builder; He oversaw careful construction of trading posts, of docks, of castles, throughout the Sicilian empire. His rule was noteable for its lack of conflict both on and off land. This isn't to say he ignored his military. He was the first to train Feudal Men at Arms for use into the military; He was the first to allow creation of units of Royal Knights outside of royal bodyguards.

King Adam the Second (1152-1167)

King Adam the Second was already 42 by the time he came to the throne. His father had lived to be an old man, but had few children, one of whom was assassinated by an agent working for an unknown power. Shortly into his reign, King Adam II discovered who; The Byzantines. Not happy to stay in their own part of the world, with the affrontery to hold Naples as an Orthodox territory so close to the pope.

King Adam himself, at the age of 50, Led the first charge in the battle of Naples. The Byzantines had an army mainly of Militia, and peasantry, stiffened by 2 units of Byzantine infantry. King Adams proud forces were ragtag at best; Militia, Archers, Men at arms, Peasantry. But that first charge killed the opposing enemy general and the Byzantines routed off the field. And so ended the battle of Naples, 300 captured and 42 killed for the death of but one Sicilian soldier.

This was good, and the keep fell a year later, and just after Naples was reinforced, the Pope himself, Forever Just and Holy..or something, invaded the now Catholic region of Naples without Provocation. The enraged King wiped out the popes forces almost to the man. Only 5 men left the battlefield alive, such was the scale of the slaughter.

He quickly followed the popes forces back into rome and the Papal states, and retreating his whole force back to Rome, The Pope made his last stand. He was defeated decisivly and a puppet pope was put on the throne of the papcy; Knowing peace once more, King Adam II died peacefully aged 57 in his beloved Sicily; Paving the Way for his Youngest son, the 27 year old Angus.

King Angus the First (1167-1189) (The Great)

Angus assumed the throne at the age of 27 in the wake of his fathers death and the war with the papcy. Sicily was one of the dominant powers of the mediteranian now, owning every island except Sardinia and Corsica. As it happens, that very year there was rebellion in the ranks of the Italian nobility; The loyalist forces were defeated, leaving Genoa and Sardinia in the hands of the Loyalist 'Rebels'.

Angus immediatly sent out forces to both areas, subduing the rebels and taking the provinces for the rapidly expanding Scilians. The new Italian king wasn't too pleased though. The Italian navy was ordered to sink every ship bearing Sicilian colours that ventured near its northern italy seafronts and that it did, in short time. The navy of King Angus made a few noticeable stands around Sicily and Malta, but most of its fleet was now trapped east of the Ionian Sea, Crete and further east.

However, the Italian King, Doge Vitalli III, Had pitiful land forces available to him, and was relying on them to keep him alive. This was to be a fatal miscalculation after the annexing of the Papal states. 3 times, the now rich Sicilians sent cheap Mercenary armies into Venice, where the Doge's troops were built up; 3 Times the battle wise Doge held the battlefield by dusk.

The next army was led by Angus himself, Not trusting even his sons, battle hardened as they were, to fight this battle for him. Assembling the single greatest army in the known world (I got the Most Powerful armies popup at this point), Angus invaded venice. After a long, tough battle, over 2000 men lay dead in the fields of Venice, Including young Prince Aed (Named for his forefather). But the field belonged to King Angus. Knowing that he now had his chance, he quickly split his forces and invaded Tuscony and Milan. 2 years later, the Italians were conquered and the Sicilians owned the whole of the Italian Peninsular, the Navy had regained the the western mediterranian and the Scilians were now the Most powerful, Rich and Technically advanced nation in Europe.

But Angus wasn't content to sit on his backside. The following year, the Turkish Sultan died in battle, heirless. His nation split, and seeing possible gain, Angus sent Prince Aodh off at the head of an army of 1000 men to Take Antioch and Edessa from the Rebels; And he did just that, in style, getting promoted to 6 stars and gaining the virtue Skilled attacker. Bringing over archers and spearmen from their mediterranian garrisons of Crete and Cyrprus, to guard Antioch and Edessa, Aodh was about to invade Tripoli which was also rebel controlled, but the Rebels came to Antioch first, Slaughtering the Garrison and retaking the province.

Aodh marched there from Edessa, easily retaking the province and regarrissoning it when the Egpytians, Allies of 100 years, invaded Antioch. 800 of Aodh's troops faced 2000 of the Egyptian sultans troops. It didn't look good. But Aodh deployed an invotive defensive strategy with staggered lines of spearmen, which wiped out several of the Sultans infantry units, but then the Camels and Cavalry managed to break Aodh's flanking guard and get behind, it was all over. 500 Casualties and 1400 kills. Antioch was Lost.

But the next year, Hiring Mercenaries in The Papal States, in Sardinia and in Malta, King Angus arrived at the head of over 3000 men, and took Antioch, Syria and Tripoli from the hands of the Egyptians, who quickly sued for peace and ran back to egypt that fast, the Ink on the treaty wasn't even dry by the time they arrived home

Sicily was now one of the largest kingdoms in the known world; Rebels were everywhere, and squabbling Central and Western European Nations were bickering over areas like Navarre and Aquitane, sometimes changing hands 5 times in 5 years. Through all this was the nation Angus built and got to enjoy for the last 5 years of his reign; Reorganising his military. Building trade. Drinking. He eventually died young, like all great leaders, at the age of 49; His reign will be remembered as the one that made the Scilians great, and paved the way for his son, King Aodh the First, the innovative General famous for his Antioch campaign. Who, unfortunatly, had the accumen of a stick.

----------------------------------

To be continued when I start playing again. Hope you like it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Monk
01-02-2004, 17:32
I must say Ashen I am intrigued, the Sicillians have always been a favorite faction of mine. You have the workings of a great saga here, all it would take is a bit of work and it would be a tale to remember.

Unfortunatly you say you do not like to write, understandable, i don't know many people who do. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Quote[/b] ]ALthough someone like monk is welcome to spice it up if he wants

Im flattered to say the least, I would love to take up writting this story with your permission of course, however i am currently busy working on the byzantine tale of mine and at the moment that has all my attention. I could probley work on this after i have finished with my current project, though i cannot promise any results for atleast a week or two. That's about how long it will take me to finish my work on progress, two to three weeks at least.

Quote[/b] ]To be continued when I start playing again. Hope you like it

I do like it, and I'm eager to learn how Aodh's reign turns out. Good luck in your campaign
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Ludens
01-02-2004, 21:41
It is quite good, but a bit dull in the beginning. It is just a list of events. This tends to happen to campaign descriptions since they are, in fact, lists of events, but it makes it a bit dry. Try looking at what Monk does: he thinks up a story around his campaign with a leit-motive and characters to sympathize with.

Of course, we are now talking about the Master of Campaign Description, so there is no need to compare your story with his. We both are way out of league with Monk.

If you want to make your story a bit more interesting, add some spicy details:

Quote[/b] ]They ran back to egypt that fast, the Ink on the treaty wasn't even dry by the time they arrived home
and

Quote[/b] ]King Aodh the First, (...). Who, unfortunatly, had the accumen of a stick.
are good,

Quote[/b] ]Angus built and got to enjoy for the last 5 years of his reign; Reorganising his military. Building trade. Drinking. He eventually died young, like all great leaders, at the age of 49;
is better.

These tiny details add flavour to your story. And since this kind of reading is entertainment, flavour is very important.

Voigtkampf
01-03-2004, 08:02
Quote[/b] (Ashen @ Jan. 02 2004,09:22)]But the next year, Hiring Mercenaries in The Papal States, in Sardinia and in Malta, King Angus arrived at the head of over 3000 men, and took Antioch, Syria and Tripoli from the hands of the Egyptians, who quickly sued for peace and ran back to egypt that fast, the Ink on the treaty wasn't even dry by the time they arrived home
For someone who doesn’t like to write, you sure did a great job I like it very much and sometimes less is indeed more…

I salute you, Lord Ashen

Ashen
01-03-2004, 18:50
King Aodh I (1189-1238) ([i]The Brave[i])

King Aodh inherited one of the most powerful european kingdoms off his father, King Angus, at the age of 27. Young, but proven in combat, his valor undoubted, he was expected to go far. This, in fact, was close to the truth, yet the Sicilians were feared, envied, targets of jealousy to other euopean and mediterranian kingdoms; The siuation was delicate, and it needed but a spark to ignite - And that spark was the nile.

In the interests of trade, the Sicilian fleet was in every sector of ocean this side of Gibraltar. Their main income source, their main power. The Egyptians still smarted over the defeat King Aodh had handed them in Edessa and in Antioch. The Egyptian king rode back at the head of the largest Egyptian army assembled since the days of the pharoahs, and in 3 massive engagements, cast the Sicialians out of Antioch and Edessa at the cost of over 4000 dead, but they had won. Their excuse? Trade. Money. The root of all evil.

Seeing this, One of Aodh's most trusted generals, the Lord of Cyprus, rebelled, believing it was their god-given right to hold the holy lands. The pope re-appeared in the Papal States and in Rome, which Aodh ceded. The French twice invaded Milan only to be defeated, but the French and Egyptian fleets were combatting the Sicilian fleets all over the Mediterranian and it was only a matter of time before Milan fell, with no way for reinforcements to reach them.

The breakthrough came with the Fire Galley. Aodh knew his kingdom was pressed, barely able to control their own Lords and Generals. upon completion, the first 4 fire galleys cleared out the whole of the central Mediterranian, allowing reinforcements from Sciliy, Naples and Sardinia to reach Genoa and Milan. Aodh was vengeance incarnate. 5 French provinces fell to the now high tech and highly trained armies of the Sicilians; The pope invaded Naples and Venice. Naples was quickly recaptured, but Venice was beyond Aodh's grasp - Then a small miracle happened that stopped both the French and The pope in their tracks - The Re-emergance of the Italians in Tyrolia and the Holy Roman Empire in Venice.

More war followed, provinces continuously changing hands, the Sicilians allied with the spanish, the Germans with the Hungarians, who took Naples, only for it to be retaken and the Hungarian fleet wiped out. The Sicilians kept struggling in Central Europe, and by King Aodh's Death at the age of 66, Controlled the whole of the Italian peninsula, Every mediterranian Island, Genoa, Milan, Provence, Switzerland, Lorraine, Ile De France.

Under Aodh's rule, Sicily had survived their hardest trials and grown stonger; Their armies now the best trained and best equipped, their navy the most powerful, and their pockets full; And Sitting on top of it all, King Aodh, the 9-Star general under who's command the Sicilian armies had taken more than 18000 enemy troops in battle and killed a further 15000.

And he still had an influence of 3. Pft.

King Angus the Second next ^^