PDA

View Full Version : Florence: A Medieval Tale

TheSilverKnight
01-22-2004, 03:19
--The Year is 1461, in a town in Tuscany, named Augusta, after the Roman title Augustus--
*You enter the tavern in silence, as the low humming of voices buzzes around your head. You take a seat at a table, and sitting ahead of you is a Monk...his name is Don Pius de la Venetia.*
Hello, my child. Would you like to hear a tale? Of glory? Of triumph? Of murder, money, and blood? he began.
*You seem intrigued, and nod slowly*
Well let me get us some drinks... he said, as the barkeep poured mugs of ale, The tale of Florence...is a tale of a great family. The Medici family. I was a monk in the service of the family..and I must tell the tale of the family and the city where I am from. Florence, and the Medici...
*You sit back, and you are sucked into the story that the Monk begins*..

Note: I will continue if people are interested. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif

Monk
01-22-2004, 03:46
Hey i'm liking this already http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Continue on good Sir Knight

TheSilverKnight
01-22-2004, 04:19
Our tale begins in the year of our lord 1095..after his holiness the Pope preaches a crusade to take back the holy city of Jerusalem. One of the first to jump to the chance is Lord Lorenzo de Medici, Governer of Florence. He takes up the holy banner, and goes to fight in the Middle East, leaving the town to be governed by his son, Cosimo, who was a weak ruler, and was ineffectual, but very pious.
You ask suddenly Why was Cosimo ineffectual?
Time will come for that to be answered, child. Now as I was saying. Cosimo was ineffectual, for he was not expecting to be Governer of Florence, so he was replaced with his brother, Antonio, who was a much better governer, and began the expansion of Florence.
*You lean forward slightly*
Antonio I de Medici was granted the title of Grand Duke of Florence, upon the building of the Great Cathedral 'La cattedrale di San. Benedetto' (The Cathedral of St. Benedict), a marvelous cathedral of gothic architecture, with marvelous stained glass windows, and a feeling of god Antonio expanded Florence outside of the city, and added several small duchies to the realms, and was granted the title of Grand Duke of Tuscany. Antonio was the first warrior King of Florence. Unfortunately, when Lorenzo de Medici died in the Crusades in 1099, Antonio became the Duke by right.
Slowly, you ask Was he a good Grand Duke?
The Monk nods, and then continues on.
When he was coronated in La cattedrale di San. Benedetto, it was not lavish, like in France, or glorious, like in Rome, but it was adequate. After Antonio added the surrounding small realms, he became power-hungry, and ordered his armies to descend on the eternal city itself...

TheSilverKnight
01-22-2004, 20:38
Ah yes..Rome. The eternal city of the Augustus', of the legions, gladiators, the games. They say 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'. Well in 1119, Antonio I led his army into Rome, a brave feat for such a ruler.
Why is it a brave feat? you ask.
For he risked excommunication began the Monk, Now, his army was about than 6000 men strong, around 3500 peasants, 1000 Knights, and militias from all around Tuscany. The ensuing battle would leave more than 6000 men dead...
*As the Monk tells the tale of The Battle of Rome, 1120, youf eel sucked into the role of a mounted Feudal Knight in the time of the Battle.*
It was a clear Autumn day, in 1120, when the armies of Pope Gregory VIII and Antonio I de Medici met in a field, miles away from Rome. The day was crisp, and the air had a scent of glee and peacefulness. This was the day where Antonio's mad rampage would be stopped.

Rome 1120,
The Pope looked at the opposing army. His army was smaller, about 4000 men, but they were fervent and loyal, with excellent valour. He could practically see their scowling faces under their helmets. He grinned, and nodded. Don Pietro Borgia yelled out suddenly: ARCHERS Prepare to fire.
900 Archers stepped up to the front of the army, and put in their arrows.
AIM Don Pietro yelled again.
They aimed at a 45 degree angle.
The Pope grinned mischeviously, and gave a slow nod.
FIRE, the loud yell rang throughout the field, as the arrows rained down on Antonio's men. A few slammed through the wooden shields, piercing men in the face.
It was suddenly quiet...too quiet. The birds chirped overhead, and then the silence was broken, as Antonio's militiamen gave a terrifying scream, and rushed forward across the field in a massive wall of pikes and spears.
The Pope rushed his spearmen up to the front, and the ensuing chaos was too much.
Tuscanese Militiamen and Papal Spearmen fell left and right, when suddenly..the charge of the cavalry came..
Tuscanese Feudal Knights rode forward in such a clatter of hooves and armour that it was deafening. Antonio I de Medici himself was among that crowd of knights. The Pope again ordered his archers to fire, and the Florentine army was missed completely by a general advance. The Pope ordered his men to defensive position, and it was a battle for who could break first...
*Slowly you lean forward, taking in every sweet word of the story.*
Antonio's Knights smashed into the Papal Infantry so hard, that it was almost as if an earthquake was happening right there. The Pope shifted his eyes to his right, and saw the green flag of Tuscany, and his jaw nearly dropped. All went silent for a moment, and then a miracle happened. It was as if God was blessing the Papal army. The Tuscanese militia, the hardcore men which had stood for 4 hours in the front, broke rank and fled. The Pope himself led the knights to cut down the militia, and then it was silent again. Antonio de Medici saw his Tuscanese Militia fleeing, and ran to rally them. In that split second where he rushed to rally them, a stray arrow flew and smashed into Antonio's neck. He slumped over, and his aides flew to his side. Antonio's famous last words were 'I have made a mistake...', and the Tuscanese army fled when they saw the blood of their dead Grand Duke. Antonio's dream was over, but the saga of the Medici was just beginning..
*The barkeep comes over to fill up the mugs again, just as the Monk begins the next part of his tale.*

Ok, that was the reign of Antonio de Medici. He failed in his conflicts with the Pope, and I will continue if people are interested http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif

NagatsukaShumi
01-22-2004, 21:27
Very nice story SK, please continue.

TheSilverKnight
01-22-2004, 23:31
*You take a sip of your ale*
Antonio left no legitimate heir, began the Monk, so he was suceeded by his half brother, Pius de Medici. He ended the conflicts with the Pope, and annexed 2 large cities: our fair town Augusta, and Caesarea, both with very large cathedrals. Pius I of Tuscany was a King. When he expanded the Duchy, he was saying to the world 'I am not a toy to be messed with'. He was the first 'Great' Grand Duke of Tuscany. He was not a military man, but he was pious, and he favoured the arts in a way no other Italian ruler besides his holiness could appreciate. During his reign, great people came to Florence. Stained-glass makers from Paris, artists from Venice, Rome, Sicily, Constantinople, architects from London, Copenhagen, and Athens, and composers from all of Europe. The Florentine court at this time was lavish and gifted. Musicians strummed on the lute, tapped on drums, blew in flutes, while the low humming of voices and candlelight sculptors drove the night on. Dancing was popular at the court, and the Grand Duke himself was gifted. The Grand Duke took a wife in 1129, the Princess Constance of Sicily, whom he loved dearly and gave him 2 sons, Giovanni and Ferdinando.
Which one became the Grand Duke? you ask.
We'll get to that. Pius' two sons, Ferdinando and Giovanni, were patrons of the arts, with great taste for marvelous gothic buildings, and when Pius I died in 1156, his death was mourned by every citizen. He was a true renaissance man.

TheSilverKnight
01-22-2004, 23:55
But my question wasn't answered, you say Who became the Grand Duke? And what became of the other Prince who didn't?
When Pius I died, it was decided his elder son Ferdinando would become the Grand Duke. Pius' wife, Constance of Sicily, had a vision of her second son becoming a churchman. And this was true. In 1160, the Pope Innocent II died, and there were several cantidates. Giovanni de Medici, Pietro de Caligi, and Marco de la Rovera. Out of the cantidates, Giovanni de Medici was chosen, forming a strategic alliance between Florence and Rome. Ferdinando I began a grand cathedral in Florence, the Cathedral of St. Mary. On it's completion in 1171, Ferdinando had ruled for 15 years, and he recieved news of the holy city, Constantinople, was under siege by the Seljuks, but he did not act, for he was too busy with internal affairs. Ferdinando married Isabella of France,and had two children: Alessandro and Catherine. Alessandro was sent off to fight Pisa in 1187, but died on campaign, leaving Catherine as the sole heir. In 1190, Ferdinando died, leaving Catherine as Grand Duchess of Tuscany.

TheSilverKnight
01-23-2004, 02:53
Catherine was a popular ruler. She became Grand Duchess in her prime, when she was 17. She was young, beautiful, popular, and ruthless...
Ruthless? How so? you ask.
She was a Medici, through and through. One of her first tasks was to get rid of her father's dull and boring ministers, and replace them with more lively ministers. The first of these was the Governer of Augusta, Vitale de Pontare. It is rumoured that she had an affair with every one of her ministers. When Catherine was 21, she decided to go husband hunting, but could not decide on a good man for her, so she did her usual. Be promiscuous with the nobility. She would hold lavish banquets, and have as many men as 5 or 6 a night.
*You look shocked, and the Monk laughs*.
Yes, it is true. But the love of her life was Antonio de Pitti, who although never married Catherine, gave her 9 daughters and 3 sons, Pietro, Alessandro, and Cosimo. And Catherine had no intention of marrying him. In 1200, the new century came in with a lavish banquet, and the immorality of Catherine's court was extravagant. She was now 27, but looked a girl of 16. Every monarch in Europe wanted Catherine to be theirs, but she politely refused, wittily saying 'If I were married to every man in Europe, there would not be enough time for me to go to England, and then to France, and then to Constantinople. The lovemaking would be too much. Now do you wish for me to do that, sir?', with which the reply would be 'Of course not ma'am', and she would smile. Her sons and daughters looked exactly as the family should, with round faces, slim bodies, and dark brown hair.
She sounds beautiful, almost angelic... you say.
*The Monk nods http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-yes.gif *
She was the most beautiful woman in Europe, he began again and yet the most immoral of all European rulers of the time. In 1210, she celebrated 20 years on the throne, and her 37th birthday, but no matter how old she got, she always looked 10 years younger. She engaged in a war with Pisa in 1217, and won, annexing Pisa to her realms, and was awarded with the title of Defender of the Faith by Pope Antonio III. She won great victories by her bravery in the field, leading cavalry charges and brave defenses, at the front of the action. When she was celebrating 30 years on the throne in 1220, there was an attempted assassination by a Pisan radicalist, Gregoriano Petrole. It failed, and upon the assassin being stabbed by her guards, she remarked 'Why would he go and attack me here where there are guards when he could've killed me a few miles back where no guards were?'. The crowd laughed, and she was celebrated for surviving wars and assassinations. Her reign was also a cultural reign, for skilled musicians and artists came and made Florence alive again. She commissioned dozens of portraits of herself, and built cathedrals in Augusta and Caesarea. Unfortunately, her golden age ended in the cold winter of 1229, almost 40 years on the throne, when she contracted pneumonia, and died, her family surrounding her. She said on her death bed 'I'm not as beautiful as I was...those years were the best of my life..the art, culture, beauty..' and looked to her son Alessandro saying 'I'm sorry I'm taking so long for you to become the Grand Duke'

TheSilverKnight
01-23-2004, 02:55
That was the end of part one I will write up part two tomorrow probably, going until about 1300. The reigns of her son Alessandro and his descendants are during that reign.

Just to let you all know, that this was not a real campaign in MTW, just a historical fiction story I wanted to write. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Ludens
01-23-2004, 15:04
It is good, but I'm curious as to what the stake of the monk is? What is his part in this story?

frogbeastegg
01-23-2004, 15:20
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif A definite improvement over your first work - keep going http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Er does that sound like I didn't like the first story you did? Not intended to if it does, I mean that you have obviously learned from your experience.

TheSilverKnight
01-23-2004, 16:49
Quote[/b] (Ludens @ Jan. 23 2004,08:04)]It is good, but I'm curious as to what the stake of the monk is? What is his part in this story?
The Monk comes in later on. He's telling the tale, because he's been studying about it. Plus, he was in the service of the Medici Grand Duke Pius III, in the 1430's.

Thank you for the comment, Lady FrogBeastEgg and Ludens.

Quote[/b] ]Er does that sound like I didn't like the first story you did?

Not at all, I like getting comments and stuff about my work. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif

TheSilverKnight
01-23-2004, 19:58
Alessandro I was not a noteworthy Medici. He was weak in both mind and body, but he was the eldest so he was to become the Grand Duke. When he became the Grand Duke in 1229, the Kingdom was the richest it has been since the reign of Pius I. When he went on a state tour of his realms, the people were not impressed with the man who was their ruler. Alessandro was a military man, who was impressed with his army, and wanted to use it. He reigned for a short period of time, 5 years, and decided to engage in his first war, with Milan, in 1233. When he crossed over the border into Milan, he was defeated at the Battle of San. Maria in 1234, where he met his death.
That is unfortunate.. you say silently.
Unfortunate as it may be, the people were glad he was gone. He was weak minded, weak-willed, and easily manipulated. When he died, his sister Constance succeeded him. She would be a ruler as great as her mother, if he reign was not very long..

TheSilverKnight
01-23-2004, 20:37
So we have covered five monarchs. What of the sixth? Constance? Was she an excellent ruler? you ask.
She was as glorious as her mother, more immoral, with dark brown hair, glowing green eyes, a smooth round face. She was her mother..only younger. She became the Grand Duchess at the age of 20. She lowered taxes, and was very pious, and the people loved her. She got many courtiers from all over Europe, but made sure the Medici blood stayed pure by marrying her fourth-cousin, Pietro de Medici, Censor of Pisa, formally uniting the two warring states. A year later, in 1237, a son was born. His name was Pius, and he was the crown Prince. In 1238, a daughter was born, Catherine, named after her grandmother. Great musicians, such as Juan de Moreno from Spain, Henry Moreley from England, Pierre de Dufay from France, and even the great Papal musician Cardinal Benedict de Porte. Artists painted scenes from everyday Florentine life, and Florence was alive with the arts again. Unfortunately there were some people who were unsatisfied with Constance. In 1242, Constance went to Pisa to witness the construction of a new cathedral, La cattedrale di San. Marco, finishing in 1245, and then a message from the Pope arrived.
What was the message? you ask.
That her brother Pietro had been elected Pope as Pope Clement V. Therefore, he abandoned his claim as future Grand Duke. Cosimo, in turn, was elected as Doge of Venice, renouncing his claims. All was clear for her son Pius to become the Grand Duke after her. He was coronated as Prince of Augusta and Caesarea in 1251, at the age of 14. In 1253, when he came of age, his mother was crippled by disease, and later died in 1254. The cause of death was not known. Her son Pius became Pius II, Grand Duke of Tuscany, initiating the first long reign by a male sovereign of Tuscany in almost 70 years.

TheSilverKnight
01-31-2004, 03:00
Sorry that I haven't posted anything in a few days. Been kinda busy with other stuff, but this story will continue on. We're in the 1250's, so only 200 years of Medici Madness to go http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

TheSilverKnight
02-04-2004, 15:21
Pius II, like all the early Medicis, was very pious. He engaged in the restoration of cathedrals, churches, and holy sites all over Tuscany. He also lowered taxes, and gained much support from the peasants who could not afford high taxes. During the early years of his reign, from 1254-1261, he increased the size of the army from 3980 to 7600 men. After he increased the army size, he engaged in his first war, with Mantua. There were several battles in the War of Mantua from 1264-1274. There were three sieges of Mantua, more than two-dozen skirmishes, and 6 colossal battles in which Pius emerged victorious. The victory and annexation of Mantua was confirmed by the 20-year celebration of Pius II on the throne. A great earthquake in 1277 destroyed La cattedrale di San. Benedetto, the largest cathedral in Florence, killing 6000 people and wounding 13000 others. Trade and income greatly suffered for the rest of Pius' reign. He could no longer get a sufficient income, so he raised taxes a bit in 1283, as construction began on La cattedrale di San. Antonio, the new biggest cathedral in Florence, with magnificent Gothic architecture, the Monk says.
Please continue on, Sir Monk, you reply.
The Monk continued, 1284 was a momentous year. 30 years on the throne for Pius II, and his son Vitale came of age. He was the crown Prince, and was trained in the arts of war. By 1290, Florence had grown to be the biggest single state in Italy besides the Pope and Venice. In 1294, 40 years on the throne were also celebrated all over the Italian peninsula by all the Italian states, as he was the eldest ruler of all the Italian states. By 1300, the taxes had been raised to three times their original level in 1283, and the peasants rose up in 1301. The ensuing battle, known as the Battle of the Florentine Fields, ended up in the death of 15,714 peasants, and only 198 Florentine Knights. In 1304, with 50 years on the throne behind him, Pius II suffered a bout of madness, known as Poryphia, and a regency was placed under his son Vitale. Pius II died in 1314, after ruling for 60 years.

TheSilverKnight
02-04-2004, 15:26
Vitale I upon his succession was in his 30's, but looked a man of fifty. In 1316, massive revolts in Mantua forced him to let Mantua have its' independence from Tuscany. La cattedrale di San. Antonio was finished in 1325, and the coronation was held there 11 years after Vitale succeeded to the throne. It was a gloriously lavish coronation, and at the banquet, Vitale publicly announced he was going to divorce his wife against the wishes of the church. The Pope, attending the banquet, expressed his feelings, and Vitale dived at the Pope with a huge sword, and chopped the Pope's head off. Everyone was astonished, and the guards took Vitale away, and proclaimed his daughter Catherine as the ruler, the Monk said.

TheSilverKnight
03-18-2004, 04:19
Very sorry I haven't posted recently. Still been thinking up material for the reign of Catherine II (the longest reinging Medici, daughter of Vitale I)..uhh..yes *runs off to do more thinking*

TheSilverKnight
06-02-2004, 02:40
When Catherine II aceeded to the Medici throne at five years old, Florence was in disarray, on the verge of civil war. The Pope, John XXII, excommunicated Florence, and a large army of French Crusaders was on it's way from Marseille to capture Florence for the Holy Cross. Catherine's mother, Anne of Austria, fled to Vienna, leaving Catherine under the regency of her uncles, Cosimo and Alessandro, who successfully beat off the French siege and invasion of Florence. In 1335, at 15 years old, Catherine took power, overthrowing the regents and establishing a lavish court. Musical activities were frequent, but the Grand Duchess never attended the Masses at Church, and the life style was in the entirely non-religious courtly atmosphere. The best architechts, the finest musicians, and the grandest parties. By the time she was 17, she had given birth to 5 children and was married to Claudio, the Doge of Genoa, who, at his death at the young age of 27, she inherited, adding to the Medici realms considerably. In 1340, she entered into war with the Pope, capturing Rome and burning it to the ground, by which she was excommunicated, but soon negotiated harsh terms by which the Pope had to agree or Rome be sacked, burned, and he be executed, replaced by her as the head of the Catholic Church. By 1345, she had 9 children, and a year later, her husband died, by which she became ruler of Genoa. She was successful in diplomacy, and in 1350, at 30 years old, had married off all of her 9 children into the various houses of Europe, the Monk explained.
Was she beautiful? Talented? you ask.
Of course, more beautiful than any woman in Europe, fair shaped, crystal coloured eyes, dark black hair, a round face..a perfect woman I would say, the Monk began, then continued, taking a sip of his ale, When 1360 came, the French again came, this time led by a French admiral named Henri, Duc D'Charleton, who Catherine immediately sought to marry. They were wed on Christmas Day, 1360, and a year later, their first children came. After 1360, Catherine had twins almost every time she gave birth, in total having 21 children (her last birth in 1369 were triplets), adding 30 children to the Medici line, of only one was to succeed. She was vigourous, and enjoyed a fast paced life, and had many male favourites at the court. But in the 1380's, she began to slow down, and by 1400, was ridden with disease, though she still courted young men. In 1409, she was pregnant again, by a young 29 year old nobleman named Pietro Corsini, and when she gave birth in 1410, she was 90 years old and had ruled for 85 years. She gave birth to a son, but she died shortly afterwards, as did the child.
You nearly spill your ale, then you speak, But who succeeded her??
Her Great-Grandson, named Alessandro, who was aged 21, replied the Monk

TheSilverKnight
06-02-2004, 02:44
But not everyone was happy with Alessandro, most notably the peasants. In the early years of his reign, taxation rose from 17% in 1411 to 82% in 1416. The peasants revolted in 1418, and the ensuing battle, the Field of Broken Spears, resulted in the death of 48% of Florence's population; 68,496 peasants, at the cost of 299 Florentine Knights. Alessandro was forced to abdicate in 1425, being replaced by his brother, Pius, who became Pius III...

Ludens
06-02-2004, 16:54
Good you have started again, TheSilverKnight http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif .
Is this story going to stay this style, with the monk giving a short summary of each reign?

TheSilverKnight
06-02-2004, 23:37
Quote[/b] (Ludens @ June 02 2004,10:54)]Good you have started again, TheSilverKnight http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif .
Is this story going to stay this style, with the monk giving a short summary of each reign?
The next reign will be much more exciting, for the Monk experiences many of these things himself http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif The Sack of Florence by Papal soldiers, the burning of heretics in the late 1430's, the constant bloodshed and disease of the reign of Pius III. It'll be good, and I'll write more once I think of more http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif