PDA

View Full Version : Choose The Next PBEM Game

The_Emperor
01-30-2004, 20:10
Alright guys.

Now that the Hungarian Campaign is ending to join the others, I feel its time for new one to start off.

The choices that have not been done yet are listed above...
Please state your preference for GA or TD by posting.

It will be good to know everyone's thoughts on what they would like to see next (Without going over old ground).

Revenant69
01-30-2004, 20:57
Well, I voted Welsh because, frankly, they are very challenging and so will provide plenty of fun. I also wanted to choose Egypt GA, but I have a special request. Can I run Egypt GA once French campaign is done? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif
Its a bit unorthodox, I know, but tell me what you think. Or is putting dibs on campaigns something not to be done?

cheers,
Rev

Monk
01-30-2004, 21:01
I havn't seen the inside of the Throne room for a long time, and simply because i thought i was not worthy. I havn't been in such a game since the Turkish PBEM, the only reason was i wanted some time to develope and better my writting skills before i played another king, and i beleive that is exactly what i have done. I have voted for Egypt and i prefere GA. Monk is once again at your service

:Bows: http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ht_knight.gif

insolent1
01-30-2004, 21:11
Hi all,

I've only been in one PBEM campaign so far & haven't even posted my story(although its nearly finished). I was wondering how you guys feel about using the high & late periods as these are all more challenging & require less kings. They should also be finished a lot quicker compared to the early ones. Total domination will be quite hard on the late games so maybe this could be more of a challenge. I'd also like to know have the HRE been done as they would be a good faction to try on either high or late.

insolent1
01-30-2004, 21:19
Another suggestion is banning the use of merc's as they seem to be used quite a lot in the campaigns which is a bit unfair on the out teched AI. We could also impose a limit on the amount of provinces taken under one king in order to leave some for the rest. Another thing I would also like to suggest is when your king turns 50 you prepare for the next king ie no new wars & tidy up the empire as when games get into the later stages it can be quite messy/daunting for someone new taking over. I'd also like to see more active use of the kings in battle & improvements in the royal line. I understand that in the later stages of the game its quite hard to use your king much on the offensive but he can still be general in one of the disputed border provinces. Lastly how about we try the Swiss http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

econ21
01-30-2004, 22:35
Quote[/b] (insolent1 @ Jan. 30 2004,14:19)] Another thing I would also like to suggest is when your king turns 50 you prepare for the next king ie no new wars & tidy up the empire as when games get into the later stages it can be quite messy/daunting for someone new taking over.
Apologies, Insolent1 - in our French PBM campaign, I knew I was taking a liberty starting a massive war you would have to finish up. Given the overwhelming Spanish armies (which could be sealifted against the Papacy with impunity), I just felt I had to act as soon as I had a legitimate cassus belli. You rose to the occaision wonderfully, though.

econ21
01-30-2004, 22:46
Revenant69 running an Egyptian GA campaign sounds good to me. I like his role-playing rules - it's given us an alternative to conquer the world (although conquer the world is much more fun PBM than it is solo).

Emperor, I think you should run the campaign that most interests you. You'll be overseeing it, so you may as well pick one you find fun.

Personally, I suspect the main game is more interesting for the long haul of a PBM than the VI campaign and I always love starting on early, starting from virtually nothing. We can reserve Egypt for Revenant. The Danes on early would be rather hack n slash (Huscarls, ouch). Italy would be good if players can restrain themselves. Otherwise Sicily might keep us on chain for a bit longer. So I voted Sicily.

insolent1
01-30-2004, 23:14
Quote[/b] (Simon Appleton @ Jan. 30 2004,15:35)]
Quote[/b] (insolent1 @ Jan. 30 2004,14:19)] Another thing I would also like to suggest is when your king turns 50 you prepare for the next king ie no new wars & tidy up the empire as when games get into the later stages it can be quite messy/daunting for someone new taking over.
Apologies, Insolent1 - in our French PBM campaign, I knew I was taking a liberty starting a massive war you would have to finish up. Given the overwhelming Spanish armies (which could be sealifted against the Papacy with impunity), I just felt I had to act as soon as I had a legitimate cassus belli. You rose to the occaision wonderfully, though.
Eh it wasn't the mess you left in the French game that was no problem to deal with & there was nothing you could do about it. The reason i've said this is because i've always been a fan of the pbm's even back with the first one & have downloaded a few since www.totalwar.org has started to host them. I have found most of them quite messy, anywayz it was just a suggestion.
I also agree that the Vikings era probably wouldn't be suitable to PBM as it can be conquered very quickly. I've completed it as the Mercians just before my second king died & I thought I was going quite slowly http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Kongamato
01-31-2004, 08:27
I'm a reader of these PBMs and I'd like to see some action in the Late Era with the Italians. It may not last very long if you start in Late or even High, but it would make for some interesting reading.

insolent1
01-31-2004, 14:33
I agree the late era is more challenging & the Italians are one of the best factions to play due in no small part to the historical generals that are available to them. More time is also available if we mod the startpos txts to give maybe an extra 100 or 200 years to finish. Its also much harder to blitz across the map as there are many decent level castles that either have to beseiged or assaulted which is time consuming & requires some forward planning ie to have seige weapons. The AI also gets better troops to start with & better troop producing facilties. One thing though is beware the super factions when playing late games as they are much tougher due to the troops that they will be able to produce & the Spainish are normally the super faction in this period as they have an easy time with the almohads & have the best royal line in the late game.

mercian billman
02-01-2004, 06:39
I don't think the Viking era would be to short right now Im playing as the Vikings. I am in the year 935, and I finished conquering Ireland in 880, and I finished the Scots off in 915. Unfortunately the Scots have reappeared but, Im not at war with them. I pretty much conducted raids of Southern, and Central England to finance my campaigns against the Irish, but now with Ireland becoming developed Im no longer running a defecit http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I think if we set certain rules such as no breaking alliances, and each king may only conquer 1 faction at a time (he would still be allowed to raid other factions he's not allied to) the game would last a while, and remain pretty intresting.

Mount Suribachi
02-01-2004, 21:20
What GA goals do Egypt/Denmark/Sicily/Italy have?

I know Egypt have a grand mosque to build, and I think the Danes have a N Sea trade one in late. Do Sicily & Italy have anything other than homelands, conquest & crusades?

If we do go with a Main Campaign, we should play by Revs rules, I think they've worked superbly in the France PBEM.

Monk
02-01-2004, 21:57
Quote[/b] ]What GA goals do Egypt/Denmark/Sicily/Italy have

GA goals for Egypt/Italy/Sicily/Denmark

Early:

Egypt - Homelands, Comquest, Grand Mosque in Egypt

Italy - Crusades to Antioch, Tripoli, Palestine, plus Homelands and conquest.

Sicily - See Italy above ^

Denmark - nothing special here, H and C

High:

Across the board, nothing special, all H and C for these four.

Late:

Egypt - Make cairo more developed than any other place on the map (i.e build the most buildings in Egypt)

Sicily - I don't beleive they are in this part of the game, I checked and the Aragonese have taken over the Island where they used to be. so no GA goals

Italy - Homelands and Conquest

Denmark - The Kalmar Union (Get a hell of a lot of trade routes and florins, said you needed 6,000 florins in trade income if you wanted to get all it's points

Mount Suribachi
02-02-2004, 08:15
Monk, IIRC Denmark don't get crusades.

And to whoever mentioned going in High or Late - theres only one faction to play in High, and thats Byzantium Recapture Constantinople from those barbarian Franks

The_Emperor
02-02-2004, 10:12
Looks like Italy is winning.

Fair enough, I'll start a GA Campaign off soon enough. (Rev can have Egypt)

Quote[/b] ]And to whoever mentioned going in High or Late - theres only one faction to play in High, and thats Byzantium Recapture Constantinople from those barbarian Franks

I will bear this in mind as well, Byzantium in High is VERY hard with the loss of Constantinople and the Golden Horde due in such a short period of time.

insolent1
02-02-2004, 16:35
Quote[/b] (Mount Suribachi @ Feb. 02 2004,01:15)]Monk, IIRC Denmark don't get crusades.

And to whoever mentioned going in High or Late - theres only one faction to play in High, and thats Byzantium Recapture Constantinople from those barbarian Franks
Constantinople can be retaken in the first year as Byzantines in high http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Revenant69
02-02-2004, 17:27
Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ Feb. 02 2004,04:12)]Fair enough, I'll start a GA Campaign off soon enough. (Rev can have Egypt)
Weeeeeeeee.....It will take a decade to shore up support for Egypt campaign as it is not the most popular faction, but I will wait http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif All good things come in due time dont they? Right now I have to go and sign up for that Italian campaign.

Cheers
Rev

Mount Suribachi
02-02-2004, 20:22
Yeah, I think its best to let the French campaign finish, by which time Italy will be in the slower mid-game which would then be about the perfect time to launch the Egypt campaign.

Monk
02-02-2004, 20:40
Quote[/b] (Mount Suribachi @ Feb. 02 2004,02:15)]Monk, IIRC Denmark don't get crusades.
When i said H and C for Denmark i meant Homelands and Conquest. sorry for not being clear.

Chimpyang
02-08-2004, 18:44
Is it possible to start a non VI PBM...i've been reading this forum with interest but i havent been albe to join in with any as yet...:S

The_Emperor
02-08-2004, 19:14
Quote[/b] (Chimpyang @ Feb. 08 2004,17:44)]Is it possible to start a non VI PBM...i've been reading this forum with interest but i havent been albe to join in with any as yet...:S
Yes but I can't host one as I have VI installed.

You can try and organise one yourself if you have the time to manage it, and I am sure there are plenty of people out there that would sign up for one.

Chimpyang
02-08-2004, 21:27
Ok..so how do you suggest i go about making one? I have the idead sussed out GA Poland Early on expert but how do i manage it?