PDA

View Full Version : Forsaken

Dramicus
02-09-2004, 02:20
Forsaken

The cloaked figure strode through the darkness, relentlessly pushing onwards, each step carrying him closer to his goal. His quest had brought him here to this unholy place; there was nothing but an empty abyss. There was no life here; the stars were no longer visible, even the light had forsaken this dark place. The man kept a steady, even pace, never hesitating. Any other would have been absolutely terrified, not even being able to see their own hands, not knowing if some dark, sinister thing was silently following in the darkness. Strangely, the man was at peace. He did not fear this place at all. Any other would have lost their way, spending the rest of their lives trudging through the darkness not daring to speak a word, for fear of actually encountering some unspeakable thing, hidden in the darkness.

No, the man knew his way as with each step that he took, the air around him became darker. If that was possible. Suddenly, he stopped and closed his eyes. He stood there, in the middle of nowhere, the darkness surrounding and enveloping him. Like a lonely statue, guarding some forgotten place, he stood there. Pondering whether or not everything was worth what he was about to do. Was everything that had been sacrificed worth this? Did all the people who died give their lives in vain? The people who cared and tried to aid him, the people who’s hearts that he had broken. In order to get to this forbidden place, in order to succeed, he had to have no emotions, no fears. And now, as he stood, alone, in the darkness, he let his head fall slightly as he felt the last vestiges of his humanity slip away.

Now he was truly prepared, his last emotion, the fear of failure, no longer existed. He sharply drew a deep breath and continued on towards the heart of darkness with renewed resolve. As he pushed onwards he strengthened his will, removed all doubts from his mind, erasing everything except for the task at hand. Nothing could stop him, and as he strode through this cold, dark hell, he feared no evil because he was the darkest and most evil in the abyss. He spread his arms out, welcomed the darkness and let it empower him. Steadfast in his determination, he was prepared for everything and would let nothing stand in his path.

“Excuse me.”

He froze. The soft, innocent voice sent a chill through his veins. He recognized it. Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, he ignored it and continued walking.

“Hey, where are you going? I just want to talk.”

As if it mattered, the man pulled his hood over his head and attempted to shut the voice out of his mind. He would let nothing stop him.

“If you don’t want to talk then just say so… Oh, I see, you’re trying to be Mr. Tough-guy again. Fine, I can wait. You mind if I hold your hand, we don’t want to loose each other.”

The man tried to pull away from the lady’s soft, delicate hand but she had an iron grip and he soon realized that it was futile. Ignoring her presence, he pushed onward, into the darkness. As they walked, an uneasy silence fell over them, at least, over the man, the lady seemed quite content to just be there beside him, she seemed to be at peace. Anger slowly rose within him until he finally couldn’t contain it any further. He stopped and closed his eyes once more, cleansing his mind of all emotion.

“You ready to talk now?” she questioned in her warm and comforting voice.

The man turned away violently.

“Ah, yes. I forgot about your little quest, it’s not going to run away on you. Let’s talk for a while.” She said in a mocking, yet understanding tone.

The man grit his teeth in anger, how could she talk like that, in a place like this and especially about something so serious. He opened his mouth to respond but instead fought down the urge and calmed himself once again. He attempted to continue walking but she held onto his hand gently yet irresistibly and kept him in place.

“I can play at this game too. We are going to stay right here until you decide to stop acting like a child…” she stated, slightly irritated but full of compassion.

The man closed his eyes and responded in a cold, stern voice.

“You don’t exist.”

The lady was amused by this and let out a soft chuckle.

“Oh, I don’t, do I? So, you’re talking to yourself, I take it?”

The man responded again, this time in a harsh, callous tone.

“Leave me alone.”

The lady frowned, though it couldn’t have been seen, her concern was evident in her voice.

“Why do you always have to act like that? Whenever someone tries to help, you shut them out and carry on as though nothing affects you You’re not made of stone, you have feelings like everyone else, admit it”

The man suddenly became extremely callous.

“You don’t exist, leave me alone, I don’t need anyone, I don’t need you.” With each word less emotion was evident in his tone. The lady became silent, as though he had wounded her deeply. She grabbed his hand with both of hers and held back her tears.

“Why are you like this? Why do you think like this? Surely you don’t believe what you’re saying…” She let out a quiet sob. “T-Tell me w-why you always want to be alone…”

The man turned to her and looked up to where her face was. Gazing through the darkness, strangely, he could see the outline of her visage.

“No one wants to be alone, some have no choice, but no one wants to. I am like this for a simple reason, it is because I truly am alone and if you can’t understand that, then you have just proven my point.”

Suddenly, his eyes fixated on something that was slowly moving down her face. A single, silver tear ran down her cheek, it glowed with a white light but did not illuminate anything around it. Sliding softly down her cheek, it stopped for a moment and hung for what seemed like ages before it dropped down. The tear fell through the cold air, like a silver crystal, beautiful and delicate. The man was obsessed by it and he watched it travel down until it finally shattered on his hand. He stood there for a moment, gathered his thoughts and began to speak.

“Listen, that’s not what I…” he stopped mid sentence and realized that he was alone. She had disappeared; he could no longer see the outline of her face and could no longer feel her gentle grip on his hand. He swallowed hard, this wasn’t the first time that he had lost her, he realized that all along his mind had been playing tricks on him. His eyes began to water and he was about to clear his mind of all thoughts when he finally realized that he was wrong. He couldn’t have ever rid himself of his emotions; he only had the illusion, which he himself had believed. He had known all the time that he was never really alone.

Gazing out into the eternal darkness, he now knew that he was truly alone, now that there really was no one left to care for him. Closing his eyes, he cursed himself for being so callous and inconsiderate. He took a deep breath from the, now frigid air and opened his eyes. Looking around, he slowly began to feel…

Afraid…

frogbeastegg
02-10-2004, 10:37
[attempted comment mode] Very neat http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif [/attempted comment mode]

Ludens
02-10-2004, 20:27
One word: beautiful.

I will not try to pretend that I understood everything you put in the story. The only person who might know everything is you. But it was... very impressive. A true picture of a man.

Dramicus
02-10-2004, 22:04
thanks for the positive comments...

Voigtkampf
02-10-2004, 22:48
Good, strong, unexpected… I like it, well done

Ludens
02-11-2004, 07:26
Quote[/b] (Dramicus @ Feb. 10 2004,22:04)]thanks for the positive comments...
At your service, Dramicus. I know how bad it is to have no one commenting on ones story.

About the remark you made on my sig (the one you edited in and then editted out): I was actually thinking of removing it, since it didn't really fit on a Total War forum and nobody seemed to understand what I meant anyway: if you act like something for long enough, it stops being an act, both for the audience as for yourself.

Voigtkampf
02-11-2004, 07:51
Or Fake it 'till make it

Ludens
02-11-2004, 20:21
Quote[/b] (voigtkampf @ Feb. 11 2004,07:51)]Or Fake it 'till make it
Ehh... Yes, that one too.
Perhaps.
If it means what I think it means.

But if the imitation is a good one, what is the difference between it and the real thing?

Anyway, I am glad someone at least seems to understand what I meant.

Voigtkampf
02-11-2004, 21:01
Well, let us be picky just for a moment, I have to run and write an article, the deadlines are killing me…

I perfectly understand your sig, about the mask and the mask becoming the actual face (in Sting's words I'm not the man of too many faces, the mask I wear is one.

The meaning of the Fake it 'till make is something slightly different than your sig, it simply means that, to put it blunt, if you pretend that you are successful you will become successful – you know, walking around in expensive suits and pretending your on the top of the world… It doesn't work always, but often it does

I see you removed your sig now, too bad, but you can come up with better one, I'm sure.

Ludens
02-12-2004, 18:23
Quote[/b] (voigtkampf @ Feb. 11 2004,21:01)]I see you removed your sig now...
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif
I did not remove it. I just didn't enable it for this post (with the tag above the 'add reply' button). My signature is rather large, and you only need to read it once, so I only enable it for the first post on a page.

Quote[/b] ]You can come up with better one, I'm sure.
Thank you for the compliment.

Beirut
02-14-2004, 02:12
That was good. Gracias. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif