PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield Vietnam!

Knight_Yellow
02-13-2004, 03:26
Yip im back again with more Battle field news and this time its about the proper sequal to the battlefield series

http://images.ea.com/eagames/official/bf_vietnam/downloads/logo.jpg

The Battlefield franchise enters a new era equipped with more firepower, modernized weaponry and vehicles, and a deeper infantry experience from the jungles to the beaches of Vietnam. From villages on the Ho Chi Minh Trail to the city streets of Hue wage modern warfare as the United States or North Vietnamese Army (NVA). Select from a variety of characters within the different soldier classes as you command powerful new vehicles including attack and transport helicopters, the M551 Sheridan tank, and the F-4 Phantom fighter jet on the U.S. side and the Russian-made T-54 tank, the MIG-21, and Mi-8 multipurpose helicopter on the NVA side.

Go to war in new dramatic battle scenarios including leading a squadron of helicopters in an all-out attack on an enemy compound, executing an ambush of enemy soldiers from dense foliage, captaining a PT boat through a dangerous jungle river passage, and more. Grab your M-16, ready the Napalm, and prepare to enter some of the fiercest battles of the Vietnam War.

Key Features

· Command powerful Vietnam-era vehicles -- rule the skies in the F-4 Phantom, airlift vehicles in transport helicopters, and more.
· Master the weapons of jungle warfare including pongee sticks and booby traps.
· Wage war online from dark jungles to villages on the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
· Go to war as a Viet Cong, Green Beret, or other soldier types, each with multiple character skins.
· Head into battle with a generation-defining soundtrack blaring from your chopper, including songs by CCR, Jefferson Airplane, and more

http://images.ea.com/eagames/official/bf_vietnam/game_info/screenshots/pc/set3/scrn_9.jpg

http://images.ea.com/eagames/official/bf_vietnam/game_info/screenshots/pc/set3/scrn_6.jpg

With a expected release date of the 19th of march in the US and UK BF:V is definately on my Wanted list.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-book2.gif

RisingSun
02-13-2004, 03:30
I find World War II more... Romantic... Than Vietnam. However, I'll still buy it. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Hope the requirements don't rip my comp a new #######, though.

Spino
02-13-2004, 06:42
I'm somewhat ticked that Digital Illusions decided to ignore Korea and do a Vietnam based sequel instead. Not that I won't rush out and buy it but I'm a huge fan of Eve of Destruction, a fantastic Vietnam mod for BF:1942 whose popularity will surely suffer when BF:V hits the scene. It stands to reason that most people will ignore EOD and turn to BF:V for their Vietnam fix.

Ultimately I was really hoping to see EOD become as popular as Desert Combat. On the other hand maybe DI will work out a similar deal with the EOD team as they did with the DC team. Put them to work on the BF:V expansion packs or something like that. On EOD's site they did say to watch for an 'important announcement' on the 16th of this month...

ShadesWolf
02-13-2004, 08:19
The game look awesome, most of my clan only play Battlefield games now, they game up on Total war at the end of the Shogun era.

Not enough online stuff...etc

I must admit having seen the video's and stills for Vietnam, I cant wait for it to come out, looks like a very good game indead http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

It might force me to buy that new PC ive been promising myself for the last two years.... at the moment I will make do with my current p4 laptop

Antalis::
02-13-2004, 08:24
I bought BF42 and enjoyed all the mods there and I will definitly buy also Battlefield Vietnam http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kongamato
02-13-2004, 08:37
Hot damn, Vietnam

This is spam

The Scourge
02-13-2004, 14:47
Anyone playing "Call to Duty?"
I'm having a great time online line playing it.
Although it could do with few more maps.
Oh and it's a great single player game as well.

Knight_Yellow
02-13-2004, 23:04
Quote[/b] (Spino @ Feb. 13 2004,05:42)]I'm somewhat ticked that Digital Illusions decided to ignore Korea and do a Vietnam based sequel instead. Not that I won't rush out and buy it but I'm a huge fan of Eve of Destruction, a fantastic Vietnam mod for BF:1942 whose popularity will surely suffer when BF:V hits the scene. It stands to reason that most people will ignore EOD and turn to BF:V for their Vietnam fix.

Ultimately I was really hoping to see EOD become as popular as Desert Combat. On the other hand maybe DI will work out a similar deal with the EOD team as they did with the DC team. Put them to work on the BF:V expansion packs or something like that. On EOD's site they did say to watch for an 'important announcement' on the 16th of this month...
Eod never had the popularity to compete with Dc.

even on the .2 release date the total number of Eod players didnt top DC's regular core community.

to be honest there isnt enough polish in the EOD mod and .3 wich is the big info on the 16th you metioned will have to be something.

a lot of EOD fans hate EA/Dice/DC becuase they feel betrayed by EA/Dice becuase of BF:V when infact BF:V was being made before EOD and betrayed by dc because its

A. Better
B. they got a deal with dice
C. there mod leader left them and joined the DC team.

meh.

BF:V will kick ass.

Spino
02-14-2004, 03:52
I think you're being unneccessarily harsh on EOD.

Quote[/b] ]Eod never had the popularity to compete with Dc.

even on the .2 release date the total number of Eod players didnt top DC's regular core community.

In all fairness DC was much further along in development when EOD .1 was released and by then it had far more press coverage. I also recall seeing numerous videos of in-game footage from DC before the first alpha versions were even released The kind of buzz created by the press and those videos can create quite a following.

Quote[/b] ]to be honest there isnt enough polish in the EOD mod...

As I recall the early versions of DC weren't much more than new soldier skins, vehicles and some unique code. It wasn't until alphas .4 and .5 that DC really offered gamers a totally unique experience.

Quote[/b] ] and .3 wich is the big info on the 16th you metioned will have to be something.

No, the big news announcement is going to happen on the 16th, alpha .3 is going to be released on the 20th.

Quote[/b] ]a lot of EOD fans hate EA/Dice/DC becuase they feel betrayed by EA/Dice becuase of BF:V when infact BF:V was being made before EOD and betrayed by dc because its

A. Better
B. they got a deal with dice
C. there mod leader left them and joined the DC team.

A. Better Well sure, especially when you consider that DC was released well before EOD and had a bigger head of steam behind it. Personally I think that when you look at the history of development of both mods they are roughly equal with one another. Early versions of DC had a greater selection of vehicles with few original maps while EOD had a greater selection of original maps with fewer vehicles. One thing's for sure, EOD's helicopter physics and controls postively put DC's to shame, even today. DC also has nothing on the water to match the fun to be had by EOD's PBR river boats. Those things are incredibly fun to play with. Overall DC still owns the lion's share of my BF playing time though.

B. they got a deal with dice Only the immature kids and teens who drew lines in the sand for no good reason were jealous of DC's deal or hated Dice for announcing BF:V. Most EOD players I've chatted with love DC and realized the EOD modders made a tragic mistake by devoting their time and energy to a Vietnam mod when Dice announced BF:V. How the hell was the EOD team supposed to know Dice's intentions?

C. there mod leader left them and joined the DC team. Well that's a legitimate reason to bitch if ever there was one. Considering these mods are created and run by teens and people in their college years this act of disloyalty and/or abandonment doesn't surprise me. Although to be honest if the guy gets a full time job out of it I can't really fault him for the move.

Quote[/b] ]BF:V will kick ass.

Well sure but I still look at EOD as being somewhat of a hard luck case. EOD has a talented team and they deserve a better fate than this.

Knight_Yellow
02-14-2004, 04:57
id agree with you except that EOD started at the same time as DC.

DC was a fluke, Frank delise made a M1A1 skin for the sherman and things moved from their.

EOD was made on purpose to become a popular mod.

people always judge work by releases.

Dc and EOD started at the same time and DC chose to release regularly with lots of changes.

then Eod chose to release very rarely but with big leaps.

its not right to compare DC .1 to EOD 20%

whatever DC at the time was out is what should be compared to 20%

Im harsh becuase it was EOD fanboys that started the long running "this mod will kick dc's ass"

Eod started it and failed.
then it was Galactic conquest wich after a year has 1 map.
then it was FH
then it was Sh
and now its every single mod that releases.

all those mods only have themselves to blame for not telling there fans to shutup and quit hyping a shoddy 1st build.

and EOD puts DC's choppers to shame? LOL thats why Dice is using the same chopper code as DC's for BFV then?

compare # of people playing DC to Eod and you will know why im biased.

All seeing eye says....

DC players right now = 4049

Eod's = 103

Lehesu
02-14-2004, 06:23
I am almost sick of the trivialization of human warfare. Read a title of a game "Return to Baghdad" and was a little bit disgusted about the obvious marketing gimmick and the disrespect it did to the truth. Whatever the hell is a "romantic" war anyway? I think it is one that has taken place so far back in history or has been obliterated from memory that the savagery can be forgotten and the good parts enjoyed. Might explain the recent splurge of WWII games. But is Vietnam too recent? In my opinion, a game such as "Return to Baghdad" is far too recent and, although I won't comment of Vietnam, it's not a huge stretch to extrapolate and put Vietnam in there.

02-14-2004, 07:57
EOD is also a very good mod.
Its a pitty that it has not as many players as DC, but it has enough players to play.

btw: Forgotten Hope is my favorite mod http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Spino
02-14-2004, 08:36
Quote[/b] ]id agree with you except that EOD started at the same time as DC.

DC was a fluke, Frank delise made a M1A1 skin for the sherman and things moved from their.

EOD was made on purpose to become a popular mod.

Now that you mention it I do remember reading about a Vietnam mod for BF:1942 soon after it hit the shelves. I remember seeing some screenshots of simple renderings of huts and a few vehicles. It was probably EOD before they called it EOD. Was it always called EOD?

Quote[/b] ]Im harsh becuase it was EOD fanboys that started the long running "this mod will kick dc's ass"

Fanboys are fanboys. The older you get the more that kind of bitching and whining will fade into the background as so much ambient noise.

Quote[/b] ]and EOD puts DC's choppers to shame? LOL thats why Dice is using the same chopper code as DC's for BFV then?

Who knows? Maybe EOD's lack of popularity made Dice overlook their helo code altogether. You should really try chopper driving in EOD before passing judgement. All I know is I've died far less in helo crashes in EOD than in DC, both as a pilot and a passenger. DC's helo code has made huge strides in the last few versions but its choppers are still a hassle to land and no matter how you slice it they're still bonafide newb killers. When I first played EOD it only took a handful of tries behind the stick of a chopper before I was able to fly and land them without much fuss. And low level flying in EOD wasn't nearly as hectic as it is in DC. It took awhile for me to get anywhere close to the same level of competency in DC. EOD's choppers were just more fun to fly.

Since there's no more need for a Nam mod someone ought to get the ball in motion for either a Korean War or WWI mod based on the BF:V engine. Those two conflicts are ripe for modding.

Quote[/b] ]I am almost sick of the trivialization of human warfare. Read a title of a game "Return to Baghdad" and was a little bit disgusted about the obvious marketing gimmick and the disrespect it did to the truth. Whatever the hell is a "romantic" war anyway? I think it is one that has taken place so far back in history or has been obliterated from memory that the savagery can be forgotten and the good parts enjoyed. Might explain the recent splurge of WWII games. But is Vietnam too recent? In my opinion, a game such as "Return to Baghdad" is far too recent and, although I won't comment of Vietnam, it's not a huge stretch to extrapolate and put Vietnam in there.

I could understand your statement if this was almost any other forum but if you're sick of the trivialization of human warfare why are you a member of a fansite devoted to ancient and medieval era wargames?? 100 Years War, Vietnam, Iraq... what's the difference whether the conflict was yesterday or two thousand years ago?

Knight_Yellow
02-14-2004, 10:56
Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ Feb. 14 2004,05:23)]I am almost sick of the trivialization of human warfare. Read a title of a game "Return to Baghdad" and was a little bit disgusted about the obvious marketing gimmick and the disrespect it did to the truth. Whatever the hell is a "romantic" war anyway? I think it is one that has taken place so far back in history or has been obliterated from memory that the savagery can be forgotten and the good parts enjoyed. Might explain the recent splurge of WWII games. But is Vietnam too recent? In my opinion, a game such as "Return to Baghdad" is far too recent and, although I won't comment of Vietnam, it's not a huge stretch to extrapolate and put Vietnam in there.
and yet you own and play a game in wich far far far more people died for even less meaningful cuases......

And ive tried EOD got fed up with M60's being able to kill tanks.

and snipers being the most common class.

there helicopters seem "light" they are too manouverable and react too quicly as if they had no weight at all.

with DC's you get the feeling that your actualy flying a serious chunk of metal.

(DC's are harder to fly but most veterans prefer DC's due to said "weight" factor)

Lehesu
02-14-2004, 19:35
Ah, but what constitutes trivialization? As a student of history, I am able to process the impact of the wars of long ago and have been able to separate the bad things and the glamour things of war into two separate little bins. I am aware that both things exist and that one cannot have one without the other. With more recent wars, however, I feel that I, and perhaps even society, have yet to sort the trappings of war into their correct bins, where the effects of one are clearly seen in the other. What we get is a distorted vision of war in which one part is emphasized in face of the other; all too often it is the glamour.

Knight_Yellow
02-15-2004, 00:24
Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ Feb. 14 2004,18:35)]Ah, but what constitutes trivialization? As a student of history, I am able to process the impact of the wars of long ago and have been able to separate the bad things and the glamour things of war into two separate little bins. I am aware that both things exist and that one cannot have one without the other. With more recent wars, however, I feel that I, and perhaps even society, have yet to sort the trappings of war into their correct bins, where the effects of one are clearly seen in the other. What we get is a distorted vision of war in which one part is emphasized in face of the other; all too often it is the glamour.
The point is that its a video game.

Its meant to engage people away from real life and if the subject happens to be a bit close to home then the consumer always has the option not to buy it.

Medal of honour Rising sun for instance was "embraced" at its japanese luanch despite depicting the deaths of several peoples family members at the luanch.

Like wise with BF942's success in europe in wich almost all people who played it have had relatives involved in said cinflict.

Its all a matter of accepting history and getting over past experiences.

Why should the enjoyment of others be prevented when when those who do not "like" the subject are perfectly within their rights not to buy said product.

*wooo i should work for a games companies PR group after this*

spmetla
02-15-2004, 02:29
Erasing the past...

Lehesu
02-15-2004, 03:18
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Feb. 14 2004,17:24)]
Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ Feb. 14 2004,18:35)]Ah, but what constitutes trivialization? As a student of history, I am able to process the impact of the wars of long ago and have been able to separate the bad things and the glamour things of war into two separate little bins. I am aware that both things exist and that one cannot have one without the other. With more recent wars, however, I feel that I, and perhaps even society, have yet to sort the trappings of war into their correct bins, where the effects of one are clearly seen in the other. What we get is a distorted vision of war in which one part is emphasized in face of the other; all too often it is the glamour.
The point is that its a video game.

Its meant to engage people away from real life and if the subject happens to be a bit close to home then the consumer always has the option not to buy it.

Medal of honour Rising sun for instance was "embraced" at its japanese luanch despite depicting the deaths of several peoples family members at the luanch.

Like wise with BF942's success in europe in wich almost all people who played it have had relatives involved in said cinflict.

Its all a matter of accepting history and getting over past experiences.

Why should the enjoyment of others be prevented when when those who do not "like" the subject are perfectly within their rights not to buy said product.

*wooo i should work for a games companies PR group after this*
This system works if we are dealing with an entire line of educated, historically taught people. Not always the case. If people get ideas from these games, and people always gain views from their experiences, than all kinds of things get skewed. The freakin tanks in C&C Generals say "Fighting for Freedom" for Christ's sakes If this is the only view of war we have, it's a pretty clean and inviting one, with clear black and white, good and evil. Real world is gray.

Knight_Yellow
02-15-2004, 04:29
thats what age certification is for.

and to Spmetla

EA and Dice market the game as an Arcade ww2 multiplayer shooter.

Any1 who bought BF for single player needs shot, every1 knows it sucks cos its a multiplayer game.

critising BF for being arcade like its supposed to be is like critisising TW for being semi realistic compared to other RTS games.

once again it does not claim to be realistic, it claims to be fun wich it is.

if it was realistic then you would have 1 life be insta killed with any weapon and you wouldnt be able to be a tanker and a flyer and a infantry man.

it would suck if it was like that.

Lehesu
02-15-2004, 06:06
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Feb. 14 2004,21:29)]thats what age certification is for.

and to Spmetla

Any1 who bought BF for single player needs shot, every1 knows it sucks cos its a multiplayer game.

critising BF for being arcade like its supposed to be is like critisising TW for being semi realistic compared to other RTS games.

if it was realistic then you would have 1 life be insta killed with any weapon and you wouldnt be able to be a tanker and a flyer and a infantry man.

Operation Flashpoint was similar, had a solid single player game, and reasonably realistic game mechanics. Wasn't massively multiplayer or bleeding edge graphics, but I like it a lot better than some of the other "run and gun" games that I own.

Knight_Yellow
02-15-2004, 06:18
Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ Feb. 15 2004,05:06)]
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Feb. 14 2004,21:29)]thats what age certification is for.

and to Spmetla

Operation Flashpoint was similar, had a solid single player game, and reasonably realistic game mechanics. Wasn't massively multiplayer or bleeding edge graphics, but I like it a lot better than some of the other "run and gun" games that I own.
Operation flashpoint had dumb AI so you didnt die too often.

eg, you get in a tank and the enemy stand there doing nothing.

you charge them and they will fire at you mate a mile away.

its the reverse of other games where the AI targets you and only you like Call of Duty.

BF is massively multiplayer and no matter how good you are your enemy are a LOT better than op flashpoints and you die a lot more.

No1 would like op flash if you died the amount of time you would in real life.

spmetla
02-15-2004, 09:06
Erasing the past...

Lehesu
02-15-2004, 19:47
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Feb. 14 2004,23:18)]
Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ Feb. 15 2004,05:06)]

and to Spmetla

Operation flashpoint had dumb AI so you didnt die too often.

eg, you get in a tank and the enemy stand there doing nothing.

you charge them and they will fire at you mate a mile away.

its the reverse of other games where the AI targets you and only you like Call of Duty.

BF is massively multiplayer and no matter how good you are your enemy are a LOT better than op flashpoints and you die a lot more.

No1 would like op flash if you died the amount of time you would in real life.
I beg to differ on the ai question. The infantry was very accurate and would kill you with an AK from 600 meters without a problem. Sometimes the AI did act flaky, but the norm was pretty solid. The game didn't feel cartoonish, as CS and some other games seem to me.

Knight_Yellow
02-16-2004, 04:14
thats wierd cos on veteran the AI in op flash killed me 5 times in the entire campaign.

i dont claim to be a god at op flash but thats just not right.

-------------------------------------------------------

"One of my major gripes with Bf1942 though is that it's got tanks and planes and infantry but they're all thrown in so oddly. A single person commands a tank. The aircraft can't be flown with a joystick and you can't use a POV hat. It's got a lot of potential with the graphics engine and relatively high player limit for a tactical teamwork game, instead it's a massive deathmatch with people(teammates) killing me if I hop in the plane or tank they feel that they should have instead of me"

1. having to wait on 4 guys just so you could be a tanker woul be unfun, as i said in bf you can be anything you want, a tanker a trooper a sailor a flier.

2. you CAN use a joystick

3. join a decent server that is admined and you dont get tked and there is team work.

"The game is also a little too balanced, no side as a distinct advantage or disadvantage. Each side as all the same basic infantry, for countries that normally don't have access to that peticular weapon they have it anyhow (Russians and Japanese with RP weapons). There are basically two tanks medium and heavy."

1. it needs to be balanced cos its a multiplayer game, it wouldnt be fun in anyway for the germans on berlin if it wasnt balanced woul it?

2. recent patches added weapons for the russians and chineese, plus they included the Canadians and several new maps.

spmetla
02-16-2004, 07:08
Erasing the past...

A.Saturnus
02-16-2004, 19:23
We have a games-forum now

Hosakawa Tito
02-16-2004, 23:16
We do???? Well, I'll be dipped. And to think I'm a paid observer.... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif I need a vacation before I burn out completely. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wacko.gif

Lazul
02-17-2004, 10:33
Well... I will only play this game if i can be Vietnames and have an ak47 and go all guerilla on ppl.

jepp..

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Scipio
02-17-2004, 14:17
Im an avid fan of the batlefield 1942 games and for sure will buy this hame IT is gunna be awesome another wet my RTW apetite game And Lazul, you can play the Vietnamese I'm pretty sure.

Knight_Yellow
02-17-2004, 17:17
Quote[/b] (Lazul @ Feb. 17 2004,09:33)]Well... I will only play this game if i can be Vietnames and have an ak47 and go all guerilla on ppl.

jepp..

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif
You do

oh and the vietnameese get to lay traps too.

little spiky things that act like barbed wire and special sticks that impale inftantry.

and the US get bouncing betties

Set the thing and the next 10 steps you take a trip wire will be laid, if a enemy touch the wire the bouncing betty will jump up to torso hieght and explode.

*imagines setting traps around vietcong bases http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Scipio
02-17-2004, 17:30
OMG that is awesome can't wait to use trapsAnd napalm shall be a fun thing to try out nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-builder.gif

Knight_Yellow
02-23-2004, 09:32
http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/vietnam/us/home.jsp

under the countdown counter click the surfin bird video.

LOL.

spmetla
02-23-2004, 18:22
Erasing the past...

Knight_Yellow
02-26-2004, 15:59
Quote[/b] (spmetla @ Feb. 23 2004,17:22)]That PBR being lifted like it is being lifted ergs me so much. My dad was a naval salvage officer in Vietnam and has told me enough to know that nothing is lifted out of water like that.

Yargh, all the Americans have their sleaves rolled up as well. Too many inaccuracies for me to.... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-furious3.gif
watch apocalypse now.

theres a PBR being lifted just like that.

Scipio
02-26-2004, 16:34
Yeah I remember that that is why I am so inclined to use napalm in the game. It's that smell, that gasoline smell.... smells like.... victory http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Knight_Yellow
02-26-2004, 16:39
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen003.jpg

Operation Flaming Dart
Map type: Mission, US

In retaliation against a mortar attack that caused eight American casualties, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued approval for Operation Flaming Dart, a two-part offensive led by US Navy Task Force 77, which began on February 7, 1965. The first part of Flaming Dart involved the bombing of a North Vietnamese army camp near Dong Hoi.

In this map, US forces launch from the island of Doa Con Co, which is equipped with two airfields and a dock from which vehicles spawn--though aggressive North Vietnamese Army (NVA) troops can come in and destroy these areas. US players must reach the mainland, where the NVA has six installations. Though US players can take over three of these normally, the other three are equipped with air towers that must be destroyed in order to complete the mission successfully

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen004.jpg

Landing Zone Albany
Map type: Mission, US

Just three days after the successful assault on Ia Drang (see Assault section, next page), a routine occupation mission of a designated landing zone went sour. On November 17, 1965, some 400 members of the US 7th Cavalry were ambushed by NVA reserve troops stationed near Ia Drang, suffering 155 deaths and 124 wounded.

In this challenging map, US troops must advance through NVA territory, and past enemy control points, to capture the landing zone. Since the mission itself was originally intended to be an infantry operation, US troops will begin the map with little to no vehicle support and must capture enemy vehicles as they go.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen005.jpg

Siege of Khe Sanh
Map type: Siege, NVA

US Special Forces deployed to the Lang Vei region later moved to a base in the neighboring province of Khe Sanh. The contested area was eventually completely surrounded by NVA forces, thus cutting off Lang Vei and setting the base in that area up for a follow-up attack (see Assault section, next page). The grueling siege of Khe Sanh began on February 7, 1968, and lasted 77 days, making it one of the longest and bloodiest conflicts in the war.

US troops must defend the Khe Sanh installment from invading NVA troops, but they must follow special rules of engagement in this map. US troops are based only out of Khe Sanh itself and must move outward to capture all surrounding NVA encampments. Until they capture these encampments, the US forces continually lose tickets, which will obviously cause them to lose if they run out of them. In addition, NVA forces can storm and capture the compound itself.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen006.jpg

Operation Hastings
Map type: Hybrid Conquest

After a series of unsuccessful scouting missions around the Quang Tn province, the combined forces of the US Marines and the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) to take on a massive NVA force of 10,000 strong in Operation Hastings. The battle, which began on July 15, 1966, was the largest combined military operation in the war to date.

The actual map in Operation Hastings will consist of forests and jungles, connected by river, in regular intervals. US players and NVA players begin the map at bases on opposing sides, and each has access to land, sea, and air vehicles. Each base can be captured, though each base has two persistent spawn points that will allow its original owners to respawn there when defeated. The rest of the map also contains four neutral bases that can be captured and controlled by either side.

Knight_Yellow
02-26-2004, 16:42
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen007.jpg

Easter Offensive - Quang Tri
Map type: Hybrid Conquest

On September 16, 1972, South Vietnamese ARVN forces moved on the occupied city of Quang Tri--the same bombed-out city that appeared in the motion picture Full Metal Jacket, starring R. Lee Ermey. However, government spokesmen refused to concede that the city had been recaptured until the walled citadel at the center of town was captured. This was the same city that had been attacked by NVA forces four years prior to this mission (see Assault section, next page). The Easter Offensive in May would be part of a larger operation over the next several months that would involve more than 40,000 troops and thousands of casualties.

Since this map takes place within the confines of a city, Quang Tri is a small, close-quarters level that is best approached with coordinated infantry squads that use smart team tactics

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen008.jpg

Operation Game Warden
Map type: Assault, US

Operation Game Warden is based on an actual US military operation of the same name. On January 16, 1965, US forces determined that an NVA arms shipment was headed up the banks of the Mekong Delta, so they sent in an intervening force to prevent the delivery.

In the game, US troops must make a coordinated assault on NVA forces by using attack choppers, armored Tango carrier ships, and PBRs (Patrol Boat, Rivers). The Mekong River runs right through this map and should afford players with plenty of opportunities for aquatic skirmishes.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen009.jpg

Ia Drang

The Ia Drang map is based on the battle of Ia Drang Valley, which took place on November 14, 1965. It was the first major skirmish between US and NVA troops on the ground, though the US troops had the support of artillery and air strikes from B52 bombers. The historic battle ended in a dramatic victory for the US and included 79 casualties and 121 wounded. The NVA suffered an estimated 2,000 casualties. This impressive battle was re-created in the 2002 movie We Were Soldiers, which starred actor Mel Gibson and his not-so-impressive American accent.

In the game, US troops begin with a remote air base that acts as a spawn point and also carries a number of landing zone points that must be airlifted behind enemy lines. The NVA has three bases in the northern hills, as well as a base near a southern riverbed.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen010.jpg

Operation Irving

Operation Irving began on October 2, 1966, in the Qui Nhon province of South Vietnam. The nerve-racking mission required US troops to invade a village province in which NVA troops had entrenched themselves.

This map starts US forces with a remote air base. US troops must air-drop into the riverside village, while NVA troops control a persistent spawn point and outlying control points that which must be defended

Knight_Yellow
02-26-2004, 16:47
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen011.jpg

Reclaiming Hue

After suffering defeat at the hands of NVA forces (see below) in Hue on New Year's Day, US and ARVN troops recaptured this ancient city during an operation that began on the evening of February 23, 1968.

Each team begins this map with a base on opposite sides of the enormous city of Hue. The city itself contains four major hotspots, with the fourth lying at the center of the city on an island.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen012.jpg

Ho Chi Minh Trail, Morning

On February 2, 1970, the US conducted a series of air strikes along the Ho Chi Minh Trail--a crucial supply line of soldiers and arms for NVA troops throughout the war. Despite the best efforts of US troops, this supply line wasn't truly halted, and some 500 US jets were downed during attacks on the trail over the course of the war.

In this map, US forces must storm the Ho Chi Minh Trail and capture any enemy control points along the way. These include an abandoned temple on a hilltop, which is accessible by stone bridges on either side and features another bridge at the opposite end of the map. Both points are under NVA control at the start of the game.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen013.jpg

Tet Offensive on Hue
Map type: Assault, NVA

On January 31, 1968, a temporary cease-fire was declared in observance of Tet (New Year's Day). The NVA used this opportunity to launch the Tet Mau Than Offensive (known in the US as the Tet Offensive), which was a surprise attack that involved assaults on multiple fronts, including the ancient city of Hue--though the city was later retaken by US Marines and South Vietnamese forces.

Each team begins this map with a base on opposite sides of the enormous city of Hue. The city itself contains four major hotspots, with the fourth lying at the center of the city on an island.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen014.jpg

Tet Offensive on Quang Tri

Another part of the Tet Offensive, which took place on January 31, 1968, included an NVA assault on the city of Quang Tri.

In this map, the US forces begin the game while in possession of four control points, and NVA troops must file across a river and infiltrate the city. In this case, you won't be doing much wandering up and down the streets of Quang Tri. The small size of the ruined city means that you'll have more than a few close-quarter battles

Knight_Yellow
02-26-2004, 16:51
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen015.jpg

The Fall of Lang Vei

On February 7, 1968, NVA forces surrounded the Khe San Marine Base, which left the Special Forces base in nearby Lang Vei vulnerable to further attacks. The NVA offensive included a devastating combined assault--just after midnight--which was complete with tanks and infantry that eventually overran the base.

The actual map layout of Lang Vei consists of an elevated plateau that's surrounded by forests and valleys. The US bases are all located in and along the central plateau, while the NVA forces begin their campaign from the eastern side of the map and must fight their way into the American encampment

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/915255_20040127_screen016.jpg

Ho Chi Minh Trail, Evening

February 2, 1970, marked the beginning of the US troops' unsuccessful campaign to shut down the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Each time the trail was attacked, it was subsequently repaired by civilians.

In this map, NVA forces must capture and hold control points on the Ho Chi Minh Trail, including an abandoned temple on a hilltop that's accessible by stone bridges on either side, in addition to another bridge on the opposite end of the map.

This concludes our look at the maps of Battlefield Vietnam. Be sure to keep an eye out for more coverage on this promising action game as we approach its March release date.

*Phew*

Knight_Yellow
02-27-2004, 00:36
Oh and Gamespy are reviewing each map 1 per day.

theyve got both Hue's done and Operation flaming dart.

http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bfv/game/maps/

http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bfv/game/maps/hue/brigdeusa.jpg

The tight dirt roadways and pathways both make for some intense firefights situations since it is sometimes very difficult to spot the enemy. They can be prone in the tall grass just waiting for you to round the corner. You can also easily run right into a few spikes through the ole' foot, ouch Also, almost every building lining the outside of the map are attached. Allowing passage from rooftops as well as the ground. There are no shortage of places to move through and seek around. Directly in the middle of the map there is a rather large temple perfect for a few sniping spots to suppress the in coming enemy. Both of the versions of Hue are truly kick ass and really puts you right in the thick of pure Vietnam hell.

be sure to check it out

Scipio
02-27-2004, 00:48
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif Looking very nice when is it oming out? i wanna buy

spmetla
02-27-2004, 04:58
Erasing the past...

Knight_Yellow
02-27-2004, 15:29
Quote[/b] (spmetla @ Feb. 27 2004,03:58)]Those uniforms aren't Veitnam era, and each of those soldiers has a pistol hoslter http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

Looks like an M14 in on that grave marker, one of my favorite weapons of all time.
Those guys arent US.

there south vietnamese who are allied with the US.

-----------------------------------------------------------

US release date: 16th march
UK release date: 19th march
Europe is either the same as the UK or 2-3 days later
Australia: 26th march (although if they order online they get it like the 18th or something)

18 days 1 hour to go according to the official release date clock.

on the top left theres a Radio. click it to listen to BF:V's official soundtrack wich you can play ingame if you enter a vehicle and switch its radio on.

People round about you can hear your radio

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-27-2004, 19:56
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Feb. 27 2004,14:29)]
Quote[/b] (spmetla @ Feb. 27 2004,03:58)]Those uniforms aren't Veitnam era, and each of those soldiers has a pistol hoslter http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

Looks like an M14 in on that grave marker, one of my favorite weapons of all time.
Those guys arent US.

there south vietnamese who are allied with the US.

-----------------------------------------------------------

US release date: 16th march
UK release date: 19th march
Europe is either the same as the UK or 2-3 days later
Australia: 26th march (although if they order online they get it like the 18th or something)

18 days 1 hour to go according to the official release date clock.

on the top left theres a Radio. click it to listen to BF:V's official soundtrack wich you can play ingame if you enter a vehicle and switch its radio on.

People round about you can hear your radio
They haven't got Purple Haze by hendrix in the sound-track I don't believe it

Knight_Yellow
02-27-2004, 20:01
Quote[/b] (Big King Sanctaphrax @ Feb. 27 2004,18:56)]They haven't got Purple Haze by hendrix in the sound-track I don't believe it
ahhhh..

you can add your own Mp3's in a similar vein as GTA3's style.

only when you play Purple haze the other players will hear White rabbit for example.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-27-2004, 21:41
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Feb. 27 2004,19:01)]
Quote[/b] (Big King Sanctaphrax @ Feb. 27 2004,18:56)]They haven't got Purple Haze by hendrix in the sound-track I don't believe it
ahhhh..

you can add your own Mp3's in a similar vein as GTA3's style.

only when you play Purple haze the other players will hear White rabbit for example.
Cooooooooooooool.... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I was reading the PC gamer review of BF:V, and apparently when tanks are being chopper lifted they can still fire the main gun. How awesome is that Oh, and I figured you know about this KY; What plans does the DC team have for switching to Vietnam?

Knight_Yellow
02-27-2004, 21:58
Ahhh firstly im no longer a tester, had to give it up cos i got made redundant and had to find a new job, too busy to attend all the test sessions.

secondly, apart from frank delise and the DC developers nobody knows not even the current testers.

*IF* Truamas deal with dice was to make DC retail, as such DC might or might not port to BF:V.

or

the deal might have been $$$ incentive to port to BF:V, after all EA stated that DC boosted BF sales by up to %40.

or

the deal might have nothing to do with DC at all.

could be any1 of those.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-27-2004, 22:21
Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ Feb. 27 2004,20:58)]Ahhh firstly im no longer a tester, had to give it up cos i got made redundant and had to find a new job, too busy to attend all the test sessions.

secondly, apart from frank delise and the DC developers nobody knows not even the current testers.

*IF* Truamas deal with dice was to make DC retail, as such DC might or might not port to BF:V.

or

the deal might have been $$$ incentive to port to BF:V, after all EA stated that DC boosted BF sales by up to %40.

or

the deal might have nothing to do with DC at all.

could be any1 of those.
Ok, Cool.

Knight_Yellow
03-03-2004, 03:07
EA games

Quote[/b] ]EA is pleased to announce that Battlefield Vietnam has officially gone gold for the PC. The game is set to ship nationwide to retailers under the EA GAMES brand on Monday, March 15.

The Battlefield franchise is entering a new era with more firepower and beautiful yet ferocious new combat settings. Offering an arsenal of weapons and vehicles authentic to the Vietnam conflict, players will battle in first-person perspective. Staying true to the over-the-top, action-packed multiplayer style that gave Battlefield 1942 its critical and commercial success, Battlefield Vietnam will drop players into some of the Vietnam War's fiercest battles. Fighting in theatres from jungles surrounding the Ho Chi Minh Trail to the city streets of Hue, players will choose from two well-equipped forces, the United States or the North Vietnamese Army (NVA) and Vietcong. All of this action will be accompanied by the sounds of an authentic Vietnam era soundtrack to immerse the player into an experience similar to that of a Hollywood film.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

/dies

Scipio
03-03-2004, 04:16
March 15? is that not Spring Break?? Should I be the geek I was for ever doomed to be... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-computer.gif

Knight_Yellow
03-03-2004, 06:20
Quote[/b] (Scipio @ Mar. 03 2004,03:16)]March 15? is that not Spring Break?? Should I be the geek I was for ever doomed to be... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-computer.gif
its 13 days from now.

Knight_Yellow
03-05-2004, 17:58
http://www.fz.se/view.php?id=13548

Best interview going for BF:V.

Also BF:V has acheived these scores on Mags so far.

PC gamer UK: 82% (they say its got no singleplayer, when it actualy does and they also say there are B52's wich there aint)

PC Gamer Sweden: 90%

Scipio
03-13-2004, 05:37
release date coming soon boyz it hasnt been delayed has it? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-party2.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-balloon.gif

Voigtkampf
03-13-2004, 07:33
Battlefield Vietnam release date (http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/vietnam/us/home.jsp)

The word is on the street, I just might get it in a day or two, original copy. If so, I'm posting an Org exclusive review.

Scipio
03-13-2004, 08:54
thanx for that. Cant wait I like the radio featur on the site http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Teutonic Knight
03-16-2004, 01:31
Gayspy (http://64.4.8.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=61c0fbb5b24edd61c314ffde207e3655&lat=1079396508&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fgamespy%2ecom%2freviews%2fmarch04%2fbfvietnampc%2f) review came out this morning...

Scipio
03-16-2004, 02:18
Gayspy eh???

Lehesu
03-16-2004, 04:13
Gamespy is decent. I am personally rooting for UT2004 on this run, however.

Voigtkampf
03-16-2004, 07:07
Two hours until I can lay my hands on Battlefield Vietnam… and countdown. I am really curious to see whether this baby will get me off from my recently acquired Call of Duty addiction.

Scipio
03-16-2004, 08:00
Oh I am sure it will voigtkampf That blows I will be going to sleep right around the time it will be hitting shelves http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Big King Sanctaphrax
03-16-2004, 17:40
Does anyone know the UK release date? I've heard conflicting messages...

The_678
03-18-2004, 22:57
I don't know the UK release date but I HAVE IT NOW
I got the game yesterday and it is great I have a really crap comp. (256 RAM GForce mx 420) and at lowest settings it still runs great and looks decent. I highly suggest everyone get this game. And use the American heavy assault while you still can because by the time the first patch coems out he won't be the uber-soldier he is now. On Ho Chi Minh Trail the American Heavy assault gets a M60, L.A.W. rocket launcher, and a Med-kit That is the ultimate super-soldier. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

The_678
03-18-2004, 22:59
BKS I know it comes out on the 18th in Australia so I'm sure you'll get it in U.K. by then.

Big King Sanctaphrax
03-18-2004, 23:14
Quote[/b] (The_678 @ Mar. 18 2004,21:59)]BKS I know it comes out on the 18th in Australia so I'm sure you'll get it in U.K. by then.
Cool, man. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif Maybe we could create some kind of .Org BF clan or server...

The_678
03-19-2004, 05:09
Quote[/b] ]Maybe we could create some kind of .Org BF clan

I would so be into that. I am actually starting to get good at FPS's now. Most games I am in the top 5 if not on the leaderboard. I am proud of this considering when I used to play BF1942 I would get scores of like 2-10. I have even been #1 a few times on servers with like 40 people.

Kekvit Irae
03-19-2004, 06:07
Meh. Bought it, but wish I didnt. I loved BF1942, but this is just... bleh.
Is it me, or is the Heavy soldier just a tad too powerful? M60 and LAWs... ick. Nobody will choose the Assault soldier now because of it.

03-19-2004, 07:11
Why is it so bad kekvitirae: Can you give us more details why?

Voigtkampf
03-19-2004, 07:21
God willing, I will post a complete review for the Org here in some twelve hours or so…
Mixed up feelings I get from playing this game, I'm still not quite certain how much I just like it. I did some instant action and was online some three hours ago last night, high kill ratio but I doubt if I will ever learn to fly that diabolic machine that resembles a helicopter

03-19-2004, 07:28
Ok now the key question: Is it better than Eye of Destruction?

Kekvit Irae
03-19-2004, 08:02
1. AT soldiers are the ultimate killing machines. M60 machine guns and LAWs. Nothing stands in his way. Nothing.
2. NVA Engineers have the ability to create tunnels. US Engineers have the ability to suck. No really, they do. They have the ability to dismantle a vehicle with their blow torch. Wow That sure does beat having the ability to creat new spawn points whereever you wish http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif
3. The helicopter flight model is neither as accurate nor as fun as Operation Flashpoint's flight model. So far, I've figured out how to steady myself and move forward, but god help me if you want me to kill something other than myself in it
4. The missions are too... open. This would not be a problem in BF1942 (and isnt), but we are talking about the dense jungles of Vietnam. I have yet to see any dense jungles in the game. Would it have hurt the designers to add just a few more trees to the maps?
5. There is no campaign mode. Instead, they give you instant action mode where you can play any of the missions. There was no sense of completion that there was with the BF1942 campaign.

These are just a few of my complaints. It just feels like an expansion pack than a sequal. My suggestion? Save your money and download Eve of Destruction for BF1942.

Kekvit Irae
03-19-2004, 08:04
With that said, I really like the fact that they included some good hits from the 1960s into the soundtrack.

That's about all that I like about the game.

03-19-2004, 08:15
I will be honest: I would only buy this game, if it has really potential for mods.

And I think it has, so I guess I will buy it, but lets see.

Kekvit Irae
03-19-2004, 08:18
Quote[/b] (Antalis:: @ Mar. 19 2004,01:15)]I will be honest: I would only buy this game, if it has really potential for mods.

And I think it has, so I guess I will buy it, but lets see.
Then I'd suggest you wait until there are actual mods out for it first. I'm quite happy playing DC, DCX, and BF1942. ^_^

03-19-2004, 08:41
Zitat[/b] (kekvitirae @ Mär. 19 2004,01:18)]Then I'd suggest you wait until there are actual mods out for it first. I'm quite happy playing DC, DCX, and BF1942. ^_^
Yeah, maybe I´ll do this http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

The_678
03-19-2004, 09:59
The sad truth about this game is that it won't be great until it is fully patched. And I agree about the class unbalancing. There is no reason to ever be the U.S. Engineer and the Heavy assault is just too good. On some levels (Ho Chi Minh and Cambodian) they also have Med-kits. I would have to say though that the Cambodia level has some really nice jungle to it. But it could be denser. And for the Helicopters, all I can say is that with a Joystick they handle really great. I can control it just about perfectly. I can't fly with a Keyboard and Mouse either. It's way to hard.

But once even the first patch comes out the game will be much better.

Also the Mod Point of Exictence looks really good and it could even be better than DC.

Kekvit Irae
03-19-2004, 10:33
It's sad how game publishers value quantity over quality. 80% of the games that are published now are either unfinished/rushed or just plain bad. I have faith in developers and publishers that take their time and not make promises they cant keep (John Romero, anyone?).
I have yet to see StarCraft: Ghost, but Blizzard has not let the gaming community down yet.
Thankfully, I bought Harvest Moon: It's A Wonderful Life for GameCube along with BFV, so I'm currently tiding myself over, waiting for my chickens and cattle to get their jiggy on.

Spino
03-19-2004, 19:49
Picked up BF:V last night. Here's my brief take on it...

Infantry/Vehicles - Overhaul of the class selection screen. Now you can select what your soldier looks like in addition to which weapons package he will be outfitted with (generally there are two packages per class). As kekvitirae already stated some of the classes are in need of serious tweaking. Running and gunning seems fine and the wealth of new weapons and the various weapons packages makes for some interesting firefights. In terms of gameplay prepare to be sniped and ambushed... alot. The combination of dense foliage and vegetation makes for a sniper's playground and a camper's dream.

Flying - Great looking cockpit graphics for all the planes and helicopters (but who flies with that stuff turned on anyway?). In terms of handling and physics the helicopters are far superior to those found in Desert Combat or Eve of Destruction. The bad news is rocket equipped helos can only fire two() rockets at a time before reloading... lame. The jets are really fun if not a tad vulnerable to ground fire. Napalm equipped F-4 Phantoms are the sh|t.

Maps - Didn't try them all but they seem fine. The available airspace is far too constrictive on some of them; often you will find yourself out of bounds immediately after a bombing run. I miss the older, square mini-map which seemed larger than the new diamond shaped mini-map. The rest of the GUI (graphical user interface) is great.

Shock and horror Technologically speaking BF:V needs patching right out of the box...

For some reason I could not sort the online servers by ping which meant I had to sort the servers by # of players and look for a reasonable populated server with a low ping (as of right now there are precious few servers out there which is expected). All other categories seemed unaffected.

Graphically BF:V is certainly prettier than its predecessor but it has issues with ATI's method of Anisotropic filtering. By default I play all my games at 1024x768x32bit color with 4x Anti Aliasing and 16x Anisotropic Filtering (Performance). With BF:V any level of AF enabled on ATI cards creates strange pixelated artifacts on surfaces. It is not that bad but it is noticeable. Turning off AF gets rid of the artifacts but lowers the overall clarity of textures. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

Sound - Shockingly average in terms of quality but there is lots of ambient sound to make up for it. I believe sound quality improves if you select any of the three EAX options available (EAX, EAX2 & EAX3) but doing so will hammer your framerate. Beyond EAX the game only supports software based '2D Fast Miles' which relies on your CPU for audio processing. Basically there is NO support for hardware OR software based DirectSound/DirectSound3D acceleration or even Sensaura equipped sound cards (like my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz). The only hardware acceleration available for sound is for EAX compatible cards, preferably Creative's... absolutely inexcusable.

Despite my criticism BF:V is still a good game but it is certainly inferior to Desert Combat which surpasses it in virtually every category. This comparison goes beyond my personal bias for the more open and conventional style of warfare depicted in BF:1942 and Desert Combat. I cannot wait to see what kind of non-Vietnam mods will be made with the BF:V engine.

Kekvit Irae
03-19-2004, 22:05
The fact of the matter is, BFV would be a great game to enjoy if it was billed as mearly an expansion rather than a sequal. My expectations were high, and I was let down :/

03-20-2004, 19:23
I´ve bought BV and I like it.
I don´t know if its better then bf42, but the engine is: Grass http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif