PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Games from Years Past

Dhepee
02-20-2004, 16:10
What are some people's favorite games from a years past: the discount rack games, the games that you can't even buy on the discount rack, games that you can't even buy the operating system to run, and games that you can't even find a computer to run?

My favorite strategy game of all time and the reason that I still have a PC that runs DOS, pre-win95 DOS, is Age of Rifles, from SSI and designed by Norm Koger. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

It was a hex map, 2d, turn based simulation of warfare in the 19th century, the Age of Rifles. It had individual battles and great campaigns, the Waterloo campaign, Franco-Prussian War, 3 or 4 Civil War Campaigns, the wars of German Unification, colonial wars, and tons of battles.
It also had an amazing editor. You could edit maps, campaigns, battles and best of all you could create your own units from the stats, to the weapons, even their uniforms. I still have some of my old campaigns, one that involved 2 dozen seperate battles. The only game that I have spent more time playing than Age of Rifles is MTW.

Anybody else got some old favorites that they still fire up from time to time?

Knight_Yellow
02-20-2004, 16:22
Dark Colony.

F*cking loved that game http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

in a fit of rage i tossed my DC cd and it smashed into 50 pieces against the wall.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-wall.gif

It had (and still does IMO) the best Starting video ever for any game.

weve got contact, FIRE

omg no1 ARGHHH

pasty faced maggot

*marine punches alien then blows its head off*

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
02-20-2004, 16:39
Master of Magic...

Louis,

Dhepee
02-20-2004, 16:58
Does anybody remember the strategy game designer Norm Koger?

He did Age of Rifles and the Operational Art of War series, plus a bunch of others, mostly for SSI and Talonsoft. He was the top strategy game designer for awhile. He specialized in 2d, turn based, hex map games, for DOS and later for Windows. His games were much more complicated than some of the games that only required you to just overwhelm the enemy with tanks; his games actually required a lot of strategy. They also featured great editors.

frogbeastegg
02-20-2004, 17:21
Old games I loved? Long list there then, I collected quite a few over 10 years.

X-wing
TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Monkey Island 1,2+3 (hated 4)
Discworld 1+2 (damn hard games)
Simon the Sorcerer 1+2 (not great but so offbeat...)
Conqueror 1086AD (one of the first strategyish games I played…)
Prince of Persia 1+2
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Day of the Tentacle
The Dig (spot the trend, yep I loved point and click puzzlers)
Caesar II (I was so bad at it I never finished the first mission but it had Romansand that was all that mattered. It had really good battles too.)
Age of Empires (well it's old now, and I grew beyond it with STW)
Privateer 2: The Darkening (love at first play, loved it dearly and still try to find a spiritual sequel now...)
Wing Commander 1,2,3+4 (hated 5)
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
Betrayal in Antara (my first ever RPG and I loved it, would have finished it if it wasn't for a bead moving logic puzzle right at the end acting as a lock for a door I needed to go through. :sigh: froggy is not that kind of logical To think I only got it because it was £2.50 in a clearance sale and my dad bought it for me)

About the only one of these that will still work is AoE and that's the only one I don't want to play anymore http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

Scipio
02-20-2004, 17:38
[B]Centurion Defender Of Rome

Super Mario

Civilizatin 1

Age Of Empire 1

any online rpg's

Mysterium
02-20-2004, 18:05
Centurion was great (with the chariot racing? Awesome)

Master of Magic is the greatest turn-based strategy of all time.

I love Colonization.

And everyone in here is required to love Ancient Art of War http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Lord Of Storms
02-20-2004, 19:28
I would say The Bards Tale for the Commodore 64 was one of my all time favorites, it was not much to look at, but from a strategic standpoint it was great for it's time, good puzzles, dungeons etc. I would play for countless hours.
I also liked the Koei games for Nintendo the originals like Ghengis Khan, Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and Nobunaga's ambition or revenge great games for there time , I know these have been redone or updated but I have not looked at them.
I remember the first 2 games I purchased for my Commodore, F-15 Strike Eagle by Microprose (a Classic) and Bruce Lee, a very strange game anyway these were not on disk but on a tape cassette and took a very long time to load and play
those were the days. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif ...LOS

spmetla
02-20-2004, 20:21
In no particular order.

Lords of the Realm 2

Command and Conquer and the Covert Ops Expansion(NOT RED ALERT)

Caeser II

Panzer Commander

Panzer General II

GTA2

Dhepee
02-20-2004, 21:54
Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ Feb. 20 2004,11:21)]Old games I loved? Long list there then, I collected quite a few over 10 years.

X-wing
TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Monkey Island 1,2+3 (hated 4)
Discworld 1+2 (damn hard games)
Simon the Sorcerer 1+2 (not great but so offbeat...)
Conqueror 1086AD (one of the first strategyish games I played…)
Prince of Persia 1+2
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Day of the Tentacle
The Dig (spot the trend, yep I loved point and click puzzlers)
Caesar II (I was so bad at it I never finished the first mission but it had Romansand that was all that mattered. It had really good battles too.)
Age of Empires (well it's old now, and I grew beyond it with STW)
Privateer 2: The Darkening (love at first play, loved it dearly and still try to find a spiritual sequel now...)
Wing Commander 1,2,3+4 (hated 5)
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
Betrayal in Antara (my first ever RPG and I loved it, would have finished it if it wasn't for a bead moving logic puzzle right at the end acting as a lock for a door I needed to go through. :sigh: froggy is not that kind of logical To think I only got it because it was £2.50 in a clearance sale and my dad bought it for me)

About the only one of these that will still work is AoE and that's the only one I don't want to play anymore http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif
Rock on Froggy http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

Fellow fans of Conqueror 1086 are hard to find. That game was why I was so excited when I found the TW series, alas no tournaments to prove my skill in.
Did you ever joust so long that you got the knight with no name, just a number, he was impossible to beat but if you did manage to unhorse him you got a ton of gold?

You need to find an old copy of Age of Rifles, I think that you'd love it. It's one of the most addictive strategy games ever, and Norm Koger's website has the mods to make the game how he intended it, as opposed to the original release which has a slightly lowered defensive bonus in order to give you a better chance on attack but it made it slightly historically inaccurate.

I am so sad that most of my old PC games were on 1.44 floppies and they have disk errors when I try to load them onto my DOS/Win95 Old School Gaming Platform.

frogbeastegg
02-20-2004, 22:04
I was only allowed to do three jousts at a tournament, any more than that and it gave you a message about having done all that you were allowed for that month. Did you ever get anywhere with that snooty lady? The one on the far left of the stands, Adele I think she was called. Always blew me off and told me to come back when I was more important - that was when I owned all England bar London, picky lady I romanced all the others, got everything possible out of them and then dumped them. I only ever married Wendessa because she was the richest and the cash contributed to that nice full plate armour that made you virtually invincible...my knight was a real rat

I must have finished this game more than 20 times over a couple of years, mostly conquering the kingdom becasue dragon slaying was a bit lame in comparision to conquering the whole country by sword and strategy. I used to save up from tournaments and harvests until I got the kingslayer sword and full plate before going on a rampage and crushing everyone, happy days http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-grin.gif

Most of my old games are on CD, I got the talky versions. In the case of X-wing and TIE fighter I had the floppies and then upgraded to the collecters CD for the add-on packs and stuff. Many of the LucasArts point and clicks I got on the white label budget range a few years after the CD version first appeared.

Beirut
02-20-2004, 22:07
Pong. Ha I remember the day my dad brought it home.

Sea Battle on Intellivision. Lots of late drunken nights at war.

Falcon 3 on my 286 with 16 megs of RAM, no sound and a B&W screen.

Antalis::
02-20-2004, 22:17
Well my first computer on which I´ve played a game was an Amiga 500.

Ok before that I played on big computer machines and Tricon Tronic, also Pac Man (hate this game ;) ) on a friends computer.

But the Amiga 500 (upgraded to 1Mb later) was a very powerful machine, better then the pc for games in that time.

The graphic was brilliant for the limitations of that time (about 1989/90, maybe also 91).

And the gameplay http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif .

Ah wonderful times: Zack Mac Cracken, Space Quest, Indiana Jones III, Loom, some of the best adventures ever.
Not to forget Maniac Mancian.

Also strategy games ruled: Battle Isle, Populous I+II, Powermonger, Sim City (yes its so old. I guess 1989).

And all the nice Jumb and Run games: Giana Sisters and others.

Antalis

hrvojej
02-20-2004, 22:19
A long list for me as well, but some that I spent the most time on playing or just had a massive amount of fun with:
Pirates
Heroes of Might & Magic 2
Privateer 2
Might & Magic 6
Jagged Alliance 2

There are a bunch of others, of course, but most of them have been superceeded by the more recent titles, so their appeal kinda waned in the process. As for these mentioned ones, I'm still waiting for the decent succesor. It's a shame that the gaming industry is so adverse of creating freeform open-ended games, as those are the ones I enjoy the most. All this technology going to waste on useless clones of useless games, and not a single game that would try to exand on a Jagged Alliance formula for example...

Lehesu
02-20-2004, 22:44
Jedi Knight
Dark Forces
Civil War Generals
Tie Fighter
X-Wing
Age of Empires
Red Alert

Dhepee
02-20-2004, 23:05
Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ Feb. 20 2004,16:04)]I was only allowed to do three jousts at a tournament, any more than that and it gave you a message about having done all that you were allowed for that month. Did you ever get anywhere with that snooty lady? The one on the far left of the stands, Adele I think she was called. Always blew me off and told me to come back when I was more important - that was when I owned all England bar London, picky lady I romanced all the others, got everything possible out of them and then dumped them. I only ever married Wendessa because she was the richest and the cash contributed to that nice full plate armour that made you virtually invincible...my knight was a real rat

I must have finished this game more than 20 times over a couple of years, mostly conquering the kingdom becasue dragon slaying was a bit lame in comparision to conquering the whole country by sword and strategy. I used to save up from tournaments and harvests until I got the kingslayer sword and full plate before going on a rampage and crushing everyone, happy days http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-grin.gif

Most of my old games are on CD, I got the talky versions. In the case of X-wing and TIE fighter I had the floppies and then upgraded to the collecters CD for the add-on packs and stuff. Many of the LucasArts point and clicks I got on the white label budget range a few years after the CD version first appeared.
You have a good gaming memory. Yeah, you could only joust a few times but if you went undefeated long enough, and kept coming back you would see the mystery knight. I only saw him once or twice, his name was something like TXJK456218
Never got very far with the ladies, but you're right one of them did have a nice dowry.
The best was the loan shark. If you didn't repay him he'd send his henchman after you but if you had a decent sword you could kill the henchman, your debt would be erased and next turn you could borrow money again as if nothing had happened. I plan to do that with my student loans. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-dizzy2.gif

frogbeastegg
02-20-2004, 23:11
What I always took the loan, killed Drogo the money lender's thug but the loan stayed outstanding and Drogo came back next year 200 shillings (or whatever the currency was) was the most I could get for the entire game In the early years before I got a good sword I had to resort to hiding in one of the buildings in my castle and stabbing Drogo through the window until he died, the AI couldn't work out how to get into one particular hut so they came to the window and just stood there for you to dispose of. It only worked in the worst type of wooden castle...saved my rear on many an occasion.

On the jousts I always turned the knights down until they offered 40 or more shillings winnings, they I cleaned the floor with them and repeated the process twice more. 120 shillings a month in jousting winnings, saved for a decade or two to buy the armour and sword and then I never set foot in tournament again as I was busy sweeping up the castles.

Spino
02-21-2004, 05:18
Great thread. These classic games immediately popped in my head...

Commodore 64:

- Ultimas III, IV & V- True classics and bonafide trailblazers of the pc rpg genre. Oddly enough I didn't care much for the Ultima universe (especially that oddball virtue and morality system they introduced in IV) but when the series reached its third installment the gameplay and storytelling took off like a rocket. A hell of alot of gameplay for the money too.
- Typhoon of Steel- WWII tactical wargame by Gary Grigsby featuring the Western European and Pacific theaters. Tons of units, random map generation and dynamic campaigns made this an 'oh my goodness another all nighter' type game. Virtually infinite replay value made it incredibly hard to put down. 8 bit forerunner to the ridiculously popular PC wargame series Steel Panthers (also by Gary Grigsby).

Amiga 500: What a fantastic computer that was. Way ahead of its time. Pity the designers sold it to Commodore Business Machines instead of a company with true long term vision. CBM absolutely dropped the ball in their failure to properly exploit the wonders of that revolutionary little machine.

- Most Cinemaware titles: Defender of the Crown, Rocket Ranger, It Came from the Desert, Three Stooges, etc.- Great gameplay, graphics and sound wrapped up in incredibly addictive packages. Since the late 80s, early 90s I've never seen a publisher/development house of comparable size consistently crank out so many great games in such a short period of time.
- Civilization I
- Earl Weaver Baseball
- Red Baron

PC (DOS and early Windows era):

- Gary Grigsby's Pacific War- Monster wargame featuring the ENTIRE Pacific theater.
- Aces series (Aces of the Pacific & Aces over Europe) - Great WWII simulations that sucked up too many damn hours of my young life.
- Walls of Rome- Top down 2D historical entry in the Siege series of games (Siege, Ambush at Sorinor, etc.). Take control of the Romans, Celts, Parthians, etc. and either assault or defend various fortifications and cities. Aside from the historically based troops of each faction you got a nice assortment of siege engines and missile throwers and even some cavalry units for good measure. Lots of intense battles and crazy body counts. Plenty of premade maps and a built-in map editor ensured long term replayability value.
- Wing Commander I & II- Before X-Wing and Tie Fighter there was the Wing Commander series and they were truly fantastic games.
- Doom I & II- Ah, the good old days. Hopelessly addictive gameplay in two gorgeous looking and great sounding games. Doom was the first game I ever played 'online' against someone else. A close friend of mine actually dialed into my machine with his blazing fast 28.8 modem (real internet online matches were a rarity back then) We played in cooperative mode against a missile toting Cyberdemon. I can still recall my other friend who was sitting behind me cackling like a fiend when my co-op buddy kept getting chunked by the Cyberdemon's rockets. Ah, memories.
- Hexen- Best game to ever use the Doom engine. Fantasy based FPS that let you choose one of three classes and battle it out with a host of monsters, demons and undead baddies. The cleric's Wraithverge staff is without a doubt the coolest uber-weapon to ever grace a first person shooter.

Ser Clegane
02-21-2004, 18:04
Bard's Tale
Dungeonmaster
Eye of the Beholder
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Ravenloft & Stone Prophet
Marble Madness (Amiga)
Syndicate (Amiga)
Garrison (Amiga)
Forbidden Forest (first computer game I played on the C64 of a friend)

Eastside Character
02-22-2004, 00:10
I dont know how old a game's got to be, to be considered old school, but from those Amiga times I think Cannon Fodder was the best. And if you ask me what is the greatest game next to TW series, I say Baldur's Gate II The Shadows of Amn and also its expansion The Throne of Bhaal. Many people seem to consider Baldur's Gate I to be superior, I dont agree.

Regards,
EC

Cazbol
02-22-2004, 00:31
Privateer 2: The Darkening
My all time favourite. Good to see Frogbeastegg and Hrvojej mention it. An absolute masterpiece. Welcome to the crematorium, kid.

Others in no particular order:
X-COM: UFO Defense
X-COM: Terror from the Deep
Civilization 2
Longbow 2
Super EF2000 (Usually just called Eurofighter)
Dune 2000
Mission Force: Cyberstorm
Hobbit (Spectrum)
The Manager (Spectrum)

Lots of others would deserve mention.

rory_20_uk
02-23-2004, 15:19
Ah, those X-com games have yet to be topped. I prefered the first one to the second - those ships were too damned annoying with the two levels (and let's not get onto those damn bases...)
And does anyone else remember North and South? I think it was on the Atari ST. Very basic, but a hoot to play two player.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

Nelson
02-23-2004, 20:51
Quote[/b] (Antalis:: @ Feb. 20 2004,16:17)]But the Amiga 500 (upgraded to 1Mb later) was a very powerful machine, better then the pc for games in that time.

The graphic was brilliant for the limitations of that time (about 1989/90, maybe also 91).
Too true. While PCs had cga we Amiga folks had brilliant color. Of course, even the C64 outdid PCs back in the 80s. Too bad Commodore couldn't market Amigas worth a damn.

In addition to a lot of the titles already mentioned, I liked Dune 2 a lot. It was the first RTS as we know them today. It had three factions a plenty of replay value. It did for RTS what Wolf 3D did for FPS.

I spent a lot of time with Lords of the Rising Sun on my Amiga 500 long before I could have imagined Shogun.

Pirates was great on the C64, as was Gunship and F19 Stealth Fighter. How Microprose got so much game into 64k I'll never know.

kiwitt
02-23-2004, 21:55
No PC required: Wargames Research Group - Table Top Games.

Playing with minatures, was just so great.

My first minatures were, old scabble pieces, and matchsticks for guns glued to them. I used these before I got real 1/300 scale models of tanks. Before that I used 1/72 scale tanks.

ShadesWolf
02-24-2004, 14:15
Where do I start...

Defender of the Crown
Civ
Pirates
Colonization
Dune
Jelly Monsters (pacman)

and many many more..

Quessa
02-24-2004, 14:28
Moonstone, without doubt.

Anyone around here still remembers those wacky beep-speaker sounds from the past?

There are more games I fancy, but frogbeastegg virtually listed every single one of them http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif .

Lord Of Storms
02-24-2004, 15:45
There was a couple of more games for the Commodore that I enjoyed,
Wasteland ,post apocolyptic scenario with robots and such.
and I had a few military strategy games that I cant recall the titles of, they were hex type games based on WW 1 and 2 and vietnam,I think one was Decision in the desert? and Crusade in Europe? a D-day scenario, anyway I liked them alot, very simple by todays standards, but I enjoyed them very much. anyone else recall these?...LOS

The Tuffen
02-24-2004, 16:24
I loved loads of games that would run on my old PC,

Doom 1 (never played doom 2)
Civilization II
Colonisation
C&C Red alert (with the aftermath expansion - had to love playing skirmishes and sending hordes of Mammoth tanks against the enemy (I beat my friend off with mammoths - he was too busy building planes cos i didn't have any sam sites)
Discworld II (never completed because my computer crashed after a while)
Dark Forces
The X-com games
Grand Prix 2
sydnicate wars

On the NES
Star Wars (on the NES)
Micro Machines
And Mortal combat 3

Aurelius1
02-25-2004, 11:26
I still play a bit of Excitebike on the NES from time to time.

Ahhh, the sound of the overheating turbo...

(edit:SNES to NES http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-embarassed.gif )

Togakure
02-25-2004, 11:41
Quote[/b] (Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe @ Feb. 20 2004,01:39)]Master of Magic...

Louis,
Master of Magic indeed Right on m8, I loved that game, though my college instructors didn't ... hehe.

Togakure
02-25-2004, 11:52
Oh, and I have to add a couple that I didn't see mentioned here:

Masters of Orion II
I still play this one from time to time--one of my favorite turn-based sci-fi strategy games of all time. I love designing my own race, and then climbing the tech tree as I expand into the universe. I've designed an ultimate ship that is downright awesome in this game. Once I can build it, the galaxy is mine ALL MINE in a matter of a few turns.

The original Quake
I'm a big Nine Inch Nails fan, and Trent Reznor's soundtrack for this game really complements and enhances the dark and sometimes terrifying world. I still have this one installed on my hard drive, and play it from time to time. It never ceases to get me tense and excited as I play. Doom and Doom II preceded it and were great games, but Quake took the cake http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif for me in regard to early era first-person shooters.

Seven.the.Hun
02-25-2004, 12:39
quake i also liked...great music and sound...and for some strange reason i liked to sometimes jump into the water and fire the lightning gun just to fry myself... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

Crimson Castle
02-25-2004, 13:47
Taipan It was an old AppleII game. You were a trading captain sailing in the Pacific Ocean - going from port to port from Shanghai to Singapore selling opium to arms.

There was a bug though. You could trick the brother-in-law banker, and dupe him to become your debtor. Then you could store your money with him and rack up a huge interest rate.

The Tuffen
03-01-2004, 02:18
Quote[/b] ]The original Quake

ah the only FPS i've played multiplayer. I liked quake but still prefered Doom just for the BFG.

RisingSun
03-01-2004, 06:36
BLASPHEMERS How could so few of you list Pirates?

That game ruled all... And they're remaking it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif x 1,000,000,000,000

X-Wing I loved that game.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - A game that made you THINK. Sucked up so much of my life...
FALCON 3
So many more to list...

Lehesu
03-01-2004, 06:45
A lot of old games are mentioned fondly, but do they really hold a candle to todays standards? Is there some sort of content that those games have that have yet to be duplicated, or was it just that gaming ideas were fresh back then?

hrvojej
03-01-2004, 07:23
Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ Mar. 01 2004,00:45)]A lot of old games are mentioned fondly, but do they really hold a candle to todays standards? Is there some sort of content that those games have that have yet to be duplicated, or was it just that gaming ideas were fresh back then?
IMHO, most of the ones I've mentioned have no decent newer (or older for that matter) representative. And I find that to be most unfortunate, as thosse are all great game concepts, yet received so little atention from the industry. So:

Pirates - Sea dogs etc. were so bland and unpolished that it was ridiculous
Heroes of Might & Magic 2 - ok, there's HoMM3, but despite Disciples and AoW series, there has been preciously little new in this genre
Privateer 2 - X2 looks kinda promising, but so far nothing good from this once hugely popular genre (Elite, Privateer, etc.)
Might & Magic 6 - ok, there are better RPGs; I mentioned this one because it was really great fun in all its simplicity
Jagged Alliance 2 - nothing; there is a remake soon to come out, but otherwise nothing again; why aren't the turn-based tactical strategy games with a plot and a campaign that is not just a series of loosely linked scenarios interesting to the developers is beyond me; and it sucks

My problem is that I have a good memory, and get no fun out of replaying linear games. For the game to have a replay value to me, it pretty much has to be freeform. Yet, in a world of 6-hour-of-gameplay-worth FPSs, those games are way too few and far between. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Seven.the.Hun
03-04-2004, 14:29
hmm, searching memory banks...bushido blade 2, and tenchu for playstation were fantastic...
and there was this old pc game called the dark heart of uukrul that i liked...

spmetla
03-05-2004, 08:21
One of the reasons these games are so good is in a lot of cases the makers had to rely on content. No graphics and eye candy to sell the game but content. Lords of the Realm for example, they had next to no real visuals but the AI was good and the diplomacy was more advanced than even what we see in MTW with the ability to send tribute and increase your favor or send insults and compliments. I have a feeling that RTW will incorporate a lot of LoTR. They already seem to be taking the movement system from LoTR.

Swoosh So
03-07-2004, 13:28
north and south
Baldurs gate series.
It came from the desert
And contact sam cruise :)

Russian Threat
03-09-2004, 03:40
I'm happy to see I'm not alone in listing the original Pirates and Earl Weaver Baseball as my old school faves. Between the two of them, I logged (i.e. WASTED) many hours/days/weeks of my tender youth.

No regrets though. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-blush.gif

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
03-09-2004, 15:40
Quote[/b] (TogakureOjonin @ Feb. 25 2004,05:41)]
Quote[/b] (Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe @ Feb. 20 2004,01:39)]Master of Magic...

Louis,
Master of Magic indeed Right on m8, I loved that game, though my college instructors didn't ... hehe.
Ah the fun of expert level, with all those nasty big AI cheat, and Armageddon runnning amok as soon as turn 20... You just love those ennemy global spells disrupting the map while you did not even get your first node... (node were tough mojo in expert...).

What was your favorite strategy in Expert Ojonin?

Louis,

Magic Window
03-13-2004, 14:56
Ah, good old Moria. Or any roguelike, for that matter.

http://safari.iki.fi/zangband.png

Bonus points if you can make sense of what that is.

Crandaeolon
03-13-2004, 17:49
Lots of dragons in that picture... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif

Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back were (and still are) great.

Archon is one of my all-time favs, I still play it occasionally with a friend who loves older games. (yes, I have a functional C64 Woohoo http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif)

X-Com is IMO one of the best games ever made, considering the resources at the time.

I was a huge fan of MOM of course, but I think MOM is just a tad overrated. I had a lot of frustration with the retail version because of its bugginess, and IMHO the AI in MOM is lacking even in its patched state. If you survived the hard beginning, it was quite easy to defeat the AIs by plane shifting a stack of killer units next to the capital. Usually you can start playing against human opponents once the AI becomes predictable, but MOM has no multiplayer...

The newer games Age of Wonders 2 (preferably Shadow Magic) and Dominions 2 are IMO as good as MOM, and they both have multiplayer. Any players for a Dom2 PBEM? ;)

Phatose
03-14-2004, 05:14
Well, it's not super old school, but it's old and I'm enjoying it - System Shock 2. Really is impressive to see how much work went into the environment. Fun to play though, even if the skills have precisely no semblance of balance to them. And Shodan is just too awesome for words.

lancer63
03-19-2004, 21:41
-Armored Fist
-Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (when rebel assault was just a dream)
-Secret Weapons Of The Luftwafe
-The first Romance of the Three Kingdoms
-Final Fantasy Tactics (Still play it from time to time.)

Kekvit Irae
03-19-2004, 22:03
See new list below

lugh
09-23-2005, 10:35
XCOM, all of them, hands down, but especially the last one Apocalypse. For years I kept my old graphics card and every now and then I'h get an itch for the game, and switch hardware just because of that game.
The first quake, because we used to sneak out of class to play it in the computer room at school. We knew the comp prefects and they pretty much spent their final year playing it!
Shadow of the Horned Rat, kind of like MTW without the campaign screen but it was still a whole load of fun.

Kraxis
09-23-2005, 12:12
Ahhh...

ThHere can be no doubt!
Tie Fighter: Gold Talk about plot, talk about length, talk about difficulty, talk about depth, talk about immersiveness. Damn I still use a name I got from that game, Tarrak. And it is rather nice that you get to save the Emperor (and gets presented with a medal by him) from Admiral Zaarin and his insidious traitors.

But I remember with great fondness in my heart games like
Pirates! Gold were impressive and deep too. Played that for a long time.
The Dark Sun games (longevity... it took half a year to finish the first)
North & South (simple, fun and varied)
Good old C&C. I still remember my first WOW thought, and of course the cool movies between missions (not the ones with actors).

Kekvit Irae
09-23-2005, 12:42
Tie Fighter (Wing Commander sucked compared to the masterful dynamics of Tie Fighter)
Pirates Gold!
Port Royale
Machievelli: The Prince
Ultima 6/7/7.5 (I absolutely LOVED Serpent Isle and the Black Gate, and False Prophet was the first CD ROM game I ever played)
Ultima: Savage Empire (though I've never played Martian Dreams)
Master of Magic (Civilization + A subtle version of Magic: The Gathering... how could you go wrong with a setup like that?)
Colonization
Civilization II: Test of Time (multiple worlds = luv)
SM Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire (given)
Thief series (ditto)
System Shock 2
Baldur's Gate II + ToB Expansion (never cared much for BGI)
Fallout 1 + 2
Dragon Wars (never could get past the first stage (Purgatory), but it was fun anyway)
Bards Tale Construction Kit
Stronghold (SSI Dungeons and Dragons version, NOT the Firefly 2001 version)
Worms
Cannon Fodder
And many, many more...

And my number one favorite game of times past...
DAGGERFALL!

English assassin
09-23-2005, 13:21
games that you can't even find a computer to run?

Dungeon master on the old Atari ST.

Also Doom. In the good old days our IT bods put Doom on the company network, (yes i know that must have been breach of copyright, doubly ironic since it was IT professionals employed in a law firm who did it) and we happily fragged through the working day.

This would be an instantly sackable offence today.

Rosacrux redux
09-23-2005, 13:40
Oldies! GAH! My field! Me, Old Fart, me love oldies, GAH!!! ~:P

I think these topics keep coming up every now and then, huh? alright, here are my favorite oldies (in no particular order)

Before time even begun, it was Pacman (got over that addiction pretty soon) Leisure suit Larry (that kept coming back for some years) Bard's Tale(s) and Wing Commander (I). Soon after that, it was Eye of the beholder. Amiga 500 days... Nobunaga's ambition and Bandit Kingds of Ancient China on a 286/16 with Monochrome and bleeping sound! Those were the days! Then Civilization (#1) came in and ruled the game. My first real color monitor just for Civ - I've spend 1/2 of a months pay for that back then!!! MoM, MOO,MOO2, Colonization, Civ II, Return to Krondor, HOMM1&2, Championship Manager...they all took a bite off my social, sexual and professional life... a large and nasty bite indeed. Civ 1 alone costed me two girlfriends and almost a job. the CivII - MOO2 combination cost me a fiancee (lucky me, seing how she ended up after her marriage - to somebody else) and HOMM2 cost me a new stove (a story involving a pan with oil and a fire... but let's forget about it, shall we?)

Damn, those were the days. Now I play 3-4 hours RTW a week and call that "a waste of time"...

Kekvit Irae
09-23-2005, 13:49
Ah yes, Eye of the Beholder... another favorite of mine. I absolutely loved EotB 2, though EotB 3 ran off of the Dungeon Hack engine, and didnt have the same feeling as the previous games (IE: I hated it)

Tricon
09-23-2005, 16:09
Wasteland (!!!!!)
Digger
Ancient Art of War
Ancient Art of War at Sea
Bards Tal I and III
Pirates!
X-Com , Ufo :Enemy unknown
Wargame Construction Kit (SSI)
Warlords I-III
Winter Games
Fantasy General
Duke Nukem 3D
Master of Orion II
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Wing Comander III

Kraxis
09-23-2005, 18:27
Why did I forget to mention System Shock 2?!?!?!?

It was so damn scary and good... I remember we had a long debate over it and the Thief games here some months ago. I can still hear those voice-logs in my heard, or see the 'ghost' do their last routines.

Zalmoxis
09-24-2005, 00:29
Septerra Core. I liked that one.

Mongoose
09-24-2005, 01:39
X-wing alliance
SMAC*
Dark forces 2(Never got around to playing the first game)
monkey island

All of which i wouldn't mind playing again(Except maybe the monkey island games) ~:cool:

*Im not sure that counts. It's very old, but i bought it recently. Does "Favorite Games from Years Past" Mean ones you've played years ago, or does it mean just older games?

~:confused:

GoreBag
09-24-2005, 03:46
Dungeon Keeper (the original), Stone Prophet and, of course, Doom 2, especially now that Doom has IP multiplayer capacity with a quick IRC client.

Did anyone here play Strahd's Possession?

dessa14
09-24-2005, 08:57
Pirates!
Train (escape to normandy)
Lords of Conquest (first strategy game i played, one good game by EA)
Spy Vs Spy 2 or 3 (i owned the tapes)
Street Rod
Final Fantasy's 4,6 and 7
Sonic 1,2 and 3
Donkey Kong
Chrono Trigger
Desert Strike
Legend of Zelda (first one)
Shogun Total War
Diablo (the original)
Duke Nukem:a time to kill
Fighting Force (loved 2 player mode)
Ace Combat 2
Mario (the original one on commodore 64)
Frogger

Geoffrey S
09-24-2005, 09:43
Dark Forces
Alpha Centauri
Glider PRO
X-Wing/Tie Fighter
All those Monkey Island games
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Doom
Mario games
Simcity 2000

King Henry V
09-24-2005, 19:45
Well I have to mention my first and one of my favourite games, Civilization II. My first time I played the English and changed the name to Henry V naturally, named cities The Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace and Windsor Castle and conquered the entire world. I remember nuking the last Spanish settlement, Bilbao and informing my Spanish Au-pair of the fact. I had in fact built ten times the amount of missiles that I needed, so I moved them all to one place and ended their turn, thus dropping them. I don't think I ever conquered the enitre map again.

GoreBag
09-25-2005, 01:32
Ah yes, Eye of the Beholder... another favorite of mine. I absolutely loved EotB 2, though EotB 3 ran off of the Dungeon Hack engine, and didnt have the same feeling as the previous games (IE: I hated it)

Missed this post. Both EoB's are available a la freeware at this point. I'd link it, but I'd get in trouble.

nokhor
09-25-2005, 01:52
my favorites

nobunaga's ambition I and II [introduced me to sengoku japan]

Romance of the Three Kingdoms III or IV [don't remeber which one, but where i got my sig from]

Decision in the desert [first strat computer game i played, had to dupe my lil brother into spending our gift money on it.]

moria [never got even close to the balrog]

defender of the crown

civ2 [still play it]

centurion

viking kingdoms of england [still play it]

pirates

interesting thing is i only played 3 of those games on a windows pc. the rest were mac, amiga and console. nowadays i'd be hard pressed to find a decent strat game on a non pc that i would care about.

Craterus
09-25-2005, 02:11
Final Fantasy 7!!!!

Alexander the Pretty Good
09-25-2005, 02:45
"Use the brake!"

Identify which Nintendo game that comes from, and you earn a year's supply of e-cookies, and reveal one of my favorite games ever.

Azi Tohak
09-25-2005, 06:08
M1 Tank Platoon and Link's Awakening, along with STW ~;)

But I must confess, I play far more games now than ever before.

Azi

Strike For The South
09-25-2005, 06:11
Madden 64

GoreBag
09-25-2005, 06:20
"Use the brake!"

Identify which Nintendo game that comes from, and you earn a year's supply of e-cookies, and reveal one of my favorite games ever.

Uhh..F-Zero?

Meneldil
09-25-2005, 08:34
Final Fantasy 7 - I thought the PS was crappy, a friend of mine shown me FF7, two hours later I was buying a PS ~D
Baldur's Gate II
Total Annihilation
Zelda : Link's awakening (sp ?) - First game I played ever. Once I started it, I became totally addicted ~D

Marcellus
09-25-2005, 10:55
Zelda: Ocarina of Time

09-26-2005, 00:45
Not F-Zero, nor any racing game, ironically.

That is probably a bit too hard to get, so I'll tell you:

Star Fox 64.

Such an awesome game.

09-26-2005, 01:42
I never had an SNES, though I did have an NES.

Oh why did I get rid of it?

:bigcry:

TheSilverKnight
09-26-2005, 01:52
Europa Universalis II...I got it about a year ago, and it's now the only game I play ~:)

Lehesu
09-26-2005, 03:15
Who dredged this thread from the watery depths? 2004? Psssh. The cutting edge games of 2004 could belong in this thread. ~;)

Reverend Joe
09-26-2005, 03:39
My favorites:

Civ 2. The scenarios, specifically the post-FW "modpack" scenarios, made this the greatest strategy game until STW, and even then it is still on par with the TW series.

Master of Orion 2. I played this for years, up until MOO 3- which was horrendous, but somehow it killed my ability to enjoy MOO 2. Once in a while, I still play it, but not like back in the day. :sad:

All the Doom games. I still play Doom 1 and 2, and 3 had a remarkably good plotline. Plus, it was the most intense game I ever played (probably because I played it in the dead of night, with the lights out, alone in my dorm room. ~:eek:)

Quake 2. I played this one for years, too, though it doesn't quite reach the Doom games. (And now ID is remaking it! :wideeyed:)

Unreal. Just amazing. It was such a trip to play.

Half-Life- the first, NOT the second. This is a rather recent game, but it is still one of my favorites.

Freelancer. I never played Privateer, but I heard this was its latter-day equal. With the Evolutions mod, it became a true wonder to behold. This was also the last truly good game I have purchased, way back in early 2004. I was already on a bad streak before then, and I haven't run into another really good game since then. Sadly, I am considering giving up on games, but not before Quake 4. But that will probably be my last game.

They just don't make them like they used to.

Edit: I forgot Freespace 1 and 2. The only space-fighter sims I ever bought (I don't consider Freelancer a space-fighter game, not least because you can buy Freighters.~D) But they still had a very engaging plotline, and they were a lot of fun to play.

Also- Homeworld 1, even though I never finished it. It was really a unique game, and I recently started palying it again (Only to be rudely interrupted by Dawn of War.)

Finally- and this should go without saying- STW and MTW. STW was always my favorite, with MTW coming in at a close second. Recently, I have had trouble getting into MTW again, but I can always just pick up STW and play it.

And speaking of Doom- has anyone seen the advertisements for the movie? The story is FUBAR! For god's sake, they left out HELL!!! That was the center of the frickin' series! :wall:

Sjakihata
09-26-2005, 09:23
Jill of the Jungle, Cosmo, Gods and Lemmings.

Sjakihata
09-26-2005, 10:52
I think, in some ways, that the NES was better than SNES. game wise.

Lehesu
09-26-2005, 18:34
Super Mario RPG was awesome.

Seamus Fermanagh
09-26-2005, 22:06
Computer:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms -- no roman numeral

Earl Weaver's Baseball

Renagade Legion Interceptor

Pirates!

Red Baron II (still play from time to time)

Board:

Most of the AH line, but especially: WS&IM, 3R, Submarine, SL series

Field:

Baseball

Flashlight Tag

Bedroom:

N.D.B.B.M. ~:)

Seamus

Don Corleone
09-26-2005, 22:19
Okay, time to go waaaaay back, really old school. I'll bet some of the kiddy's have never even heard of some of these.

My first 'computer' was an Atari 2600. For this, my favorite games were Moon Patrol, Yar's Revenge, Chopper Command and Adventure.

Next up was my Apple IIe. Some great games here, but the ones that are most memorable: SSI had a wild west shootout game where you played out different gunfights; Wings of Fury (you piloted a Hellcat in the Pacific); Bard's Tale; any of the Dungeons & Dragons games but most especially Pool of Radiance, Montezuma's Revenge and the all time classic: ZORK.

1989, and the family upgrade to a Macintosh LCIII. This is also when I 1) discovered the Internet courtesy of Prodigy and 2) got a job at Software ETC, so I got to play all kinds of PC games after work. My favorites from this era were actually for the PC, much better gaming machine: Deathtrack, A10 Tank Killer, Doom, Duke Nuke'em 3D, too many others to count. This is also the timeframe when I discovered and got addicted to MUD's, so my actual video gaming time reduced.

All in all, I think I miss Zork most of all.

Goofball
09-26-2005, 22:27
Ultima II on my Apple II+.

I almost had to repeat grade 7 I pissed away so much time playing that game...

Drisos
09-27-2005, 13:42
stw... but that was so good it is still played... check/sig!!

Brutus
09-27-2005, 16:21
Age of Empires II and its expansion The Conquerors. Used to play that for days... I also used to enjoy The Settlers III very much.

Ser Clegane
09-27-2005, 18:55
Dungeon Keeper (the original), Stone Prophet and, of course, Doom 2, especially now that Doom has IP multiplayer capacity with a quick IRC client.

Did anyone here play Strahd's Possession?

Stone Prophet was absolutely brilliant, IMO. Created a fantastic atmosphere and I loved the setting (I actually would like to see a modern RPG with this setting)

I also played Strahd's Possession - very good as well, but Stone Prophet was definitely an improvement.

Meneldil
09-27-2005, 19:17
Okay, time to go waaaaay back, really old school. I'll bet some of the kiddy's have never even heard of some of these.

My first 'computer' was an Atari 2600. For this, my favorite games were Moon Patrol, Yar's Revenge, Chopper Command and Adventure.

Next up was my Apple IIe. Some great games here, but the ones that are most memorable: SSI had a wild west shootout game where you played out different gunfights; Wings of Fury (you piloted a Hellcat in the Pacific); Bard's Tale; any of the Dungeons & Dragons games but most especially Pool of Radiance, Montezuma's Revenge and the all time classic: ZORK.

1989, and the family upgrade to a Macintosh LCIII. This is also when I 1) discovered the Internet courtesy of Prodigy and 2) got a job at Software ETC, so I got to play all kinds of PC games after work. My favorites from this era were actually for the PC, much better gaming machine: Deathtrack, A10 Tank Killer, Doom, Duke Nuke'em 3D, too many others to count. This is also the timeframe when I discovered and got addicted to MUD's, so my actual video gaming time reduced.

Are you really that old ?! ~:eek:

Well, I heard some of those game names, so I guess I do not enter in the 'kiddies' category. And I played Duke Nukme 3D quite alot, altough I found it to be totally scary (I was like 10 back then)

Reverend Joe
09-27-2005, 19:31
I forgot about one:

Ascendancy.

My very first space TBS. One of the wierdest games ever made, but still one of my favorites. I can still remember playing as the Camiechies, getting into arms races with the Mebes and Frutmaka, and getting pissed at the belching guys (forgot their name) who knew everyone from the start, becuase they were always trying to end wars while I was on my technological crusade...

That game is probably the reason I love psychedelic drugs.

Kekvit Irae
09-27-2005, 23:22
My first computers were an AppleIIgs and a Commodore 64/128. Good times

Seamus Fermanagh
09-28-2005, 17:00

My first 'computer' was an Atari 2600. For this, my favorite games were Moon Patrol, Yar's Revenge, Chopper Command and Adventure....

"Ah yes, I remember it well..."

Games on the original Atari: Number Cruncher, Venture (the Red dragon was tough!), Star Wars -- had trouble with meteors while warping until my kid brother taught me to hold the joystick all the way to the side and keep the firing button down. Amazing the gameplay fun to be had with code that could fit on two type-written pages.

I can even remember playing Pong! on a neighbor's TV around Christmas of '76.

Seamus

drone
09-28-2005, 17:31
Way back when I had an Apple IIe, I think my favorite games were Rescue Raiders and Ultima(2-4). A friend of mine had Tunnels of Doom for the TI-99, which was a pretty good D&D type game for it's time.

Favorite old PC games would have to be Master of Magic, Master of Orion 2, Doom, Tie Fighter, Walls of Rome. In college, we used to play drunken Tetris, always amusing. ~:cheers:

Kekvit Irae
09-28-2005, 21:56
Master of Magic

:happyg:

drone
09-28-2005, 22:36
:happyg:
It's not installed, but I have the game and the patch needed to get MoM to run on Windows XP. Lots o' fun. I do have MoO2 still installed, the sound when the opening menu swings onto the screen still gets me going. ~D

Kekvit Irae
09-28-2005, 22:53
It's not installed, but I have the game and the patch needed to get MoM to run on Windows XP. Lots o' fun. I do have MoO2 still installed, the sound when the opening menu swings onto the screen still gets me going. ~D

Where can I get this patch? I've been wanting to play it for a LONG time!

drone
09-28-2005, 23:42
Where can I get this patch? I've been wanting to play it for a LONG time!
I got the latest patch and some info from a friend. IIRC, the problem is that the game used expanded memory, and XP has issues with this. Try this page:
http://www.classicgaming.com/mom/board/

It's not a heavily used page, so you need to change the thread viewing options to look waaaaay back in time. Here's one thread with some details:
http://www.classicgaming.com/mom/board/topic.asp?topic_id=74259&forum_id=3276&Topic_Title=How+I+got+MoM+working%2C+with+full+sound+under+XP&forum_title=Windows+XP&M=0&S=True

The latest patch is v1.31. You can Google "Master of Magic patch" to find it, it's still there in places, but I don't think I can link here since a lot of these sites treat the game as abandonware and have the game for download as well. Good luck! ~:cheers:

Turin
10-02-2005, 08:03
Mumm... a quick list in chronological order, PC first:

Warcraft I
Command and Conquer I
Warcaft II
Starcraft
Close Combat 2,3,4 (highly recommend)
Shogun TW
Warcraft III
Norm Kroger's Operational Art of War Century of War (HIGHLY recommend)
Rome TW

Console (old games only since I haven't really bought too many games for my PS2):

Zelda (SNES)
FFVI (SNES) (Best Final Fantasy ever, screw you all FFVII fans :furious3: LOL)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
FFVII (PS1) (still a GREAT game nevertheless)
Metal Gear Solid 1 (PS1)
Chrono Cross (PS1) (great stand alone game, but it connected horribly with Chrono Trigger, it would be a terrible plot spoiler to tell you why... let's just say I was very, very sad when I was saw some particular ghosts about 1/4 through Cross)
Soul Calibur 2 (XBOX) (best and only fighting game I've ever gotten into)
Star Ocean III (PS2) (really recommend, best RPG since FFVII, best plot twist EVER! Though the game does start out slow and dubious)

BTW Kekvitirae, what's this AG BN that you hate? Some battalion? Air... Grenadiers?