PDA

View Full Version : The Longest Year

Voigtkampf
02-09-2004, 07:29
http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/story/rebels.gif

Voigtkampf
02-09-2004, 07:31
Emperor of the Italians, Doge Enrico II, looked up from the map and Lord Frangipani thought how little resemblance it bore with the face of the man he was so well acquainted with; the kindhearted, warm and wise expression was gone, perhaps, he reckoned wearily, for good, all of his kings features were as if carved in stone, reminding him of statutes of the cruel pagan gods, now mostly banished into dark corners of the vast European realm the Italians claimed their own; the lips that once were a home for a seemingly never ending gentle smile were now but a mere thin line, pressed together as to hold back a cry of great pain and unbearable suffering. But the eyes… Yes, the eyes were alive, Frangipani thought and felt an unpleasant cribbing that went down his spine and made him sit even stiffer than he did already did, the eyes were very much alive, but there was no warmth, no joy, no feeling that was deemed good. In his Lords eyes he saw hatred, cold, yet burning hatred, pain and rage in such a combination that it seemed as if those feelings alone are so strong that they would tear the misfortunate one who felt them in parts like a malfunctioning bombard that blows up while firing, killing the loaders and the operators. As hard as it was, he managed to look away from his kings eyes and gaze upon his hands. What now, he thought again and again, unable to break off the numbness that befell him, clutching his fists that were slightly, yet clearly shaking. What do we do now?

Along with Lord Frangiapani, Chancellor of the Council and through His Majesty's good grace the governor of Constantinople, the large table of the throne hall was filled with the greatest of the great; to his fathers right set the young, yet brave and resourceful prince Giovanni, the youngest of the three heirs to the throne, and capable general that knew neither fear nor the humiliation of a lost battle, though he himself has led many conquests with great success. Frangipani thought how even the young man looked grim and worried, an expression even more uncommon for the young man than his father. Aside of them, there was the great and legendary Byzantine general, Lord della Rovere, the last kataphraktoi that once served the Lords of Constantinople and became the first general of the Italians when the Turks tore down the walls of the ancient city. Once his liege lord was killed and the Byzantines were scattered all over the Europe, with no land bearing their name and traditions, Lord della Rovere held and defended Egypt for his own for a long time; then, he entered the service to the Italian people, bringing his knowledge and one of the richest provinces in the known world to Doge's disposal. After many battles which he proved to be the greatest living general, he conquered more than a dozen important provinces, stood firm against the Mongol invasion, repelling the dogheads and attaining the reputation of a most dreadful and fearsome man, mostly because of the stories that he himself had issued that more than five hundred captured Mongols should be buried alive in the fundaments of the great castle he had built in Khazar. Governor of Egypt and Constable of the Army, he was a man that inspired his soldiers to miracles, and his presence alone was enough to pacify the most rebellious provinces. Of all the present nobles Lord della Rovere seemed to be the only one that was calm and unaffected by the news the gathering has received in the last few hours, and that alone made Frangiapani feel better.

Finally the Emperor spoke, and in his deep, tranquil voice he said only two words.
- Sixty-four.
He looked around, gazed each and every of his generals in the eyes, and Frangiapani forced him not to look away from those fiery eyes. Somehow, the ghostly silence was much harder to bear then the direct outburst of rage.
- Sixty-four provinces. - The Emperor repeated, as if those words held in themselves all the explanations that were necessary. - How is that possible?
For a second nobody uttered a word, and then Lord della Rovere answered in his pleasant baritone, drawing attention to himself.
- My Lord, if someone ever told me that it was possible, I would have laughed at him or, even more probable, I would shun him for a fool and sent him off. I believe that I could find few reasons for this…oddity, yet I cannot explain what truly happened here. If I may, my Lord?
The Emperor nodded and winked him a permission, upon which the gray-haired general bowed slightly and pointed out at the great map of the known world that hung from the west wall of the throne room and measured some good three feet high and five feet wide.

- As improbable as it may sound, I would say this is mostly the mischief of the English. Though they were never in war with us, the English have lost the greatest parts of their lands to the French and to the constant rebellions that reduced their possessions to the provinces of Toulouse and Scotland. Yet, their fleets were quite large, second to ours, and although their ships are vastly outnumbered by ours, they had and still have a very firm grip on the most of the sea regions from the North Sea al the way to the Straits of Sicily. When their fleets attacked and sank one of our ships in the North Sea, as well as blockaded many trade routes, an immediate response was necessary. Our armies were fast and successful; Scotland was conquered and the English army in Toulouse defeated, their king taking refuge in the Toulouse castle with a small garrison of total 179 men, as far as we could determine, mostly parts of units with low moral and doubtful quality. Yet, the castle itself has a ring wall and catapult towers, so it was advisable to lay siege rather than to attack, at least as long as we don't bring some siege weaponry or few demi-culverins to tear those walls down.

The naval action was, unfortunately, less successful; few indecisive battles, English ships avoiding our war galleys and still blocking the sea routes. Our captains are summoned in these waters in large numbers, yet the hunt is not easy. We may well see more than four or five years of struggle for the domination of these waters.
Aragonese are the second surprise; they unexpectedly attacked Aquitaine and have overwhelmed the unsuspecting commander in charge there. The castle is under siege, but because of the blockaded routes we cannot send any aid from other more secured provinces.

Lord della Rovere hesitated at this place. - It would seem that a relief force could easily be dispatched from the neighboring provinces. As we all know, we have been fighting the French in an unprovoked war and we have, quite easily, if I may add, conquered all of their ten provinces and laid siege on their last castle, looking forward to unifying Europe once and for all. For that reason, we were also forced to undertake a course of action that was less noble, yet inevitable; we launched a surprise attack on the Holy Roman Empire of the German people, we conquered Tyrolia and surrounded Switzerland, which was last province in the heart of the Europe not to be under our control. But…things went out of the control. - Rovere looked at the Emperor briefly and turned back to the gathering of the generals that were closely paying attention to his every word and move.

Probably due to the unfortunate attack of the English and their blockade of our sea route, massive uprisings have taken place. No, Lord Rovere shook his head and laughed with no amusement. that is the wrong word. It seems that the whole world has gone crazy, and that would be a proper description. In 64 of our provinces we have had the emerging of large rebel armies, and, even more surprisingly, they included many highly professional soldiers and extremely well equipped troops. In Prussia, we have two armies, one of them has seven units of feudal knights; the emerging rebel army in Tuscany has highly improved weapons, arquebusiers and chivalric sergeants. But, even more disturbing is the fact that we have a simultaneous reappearance of the Egyptians, Turks and the Hungarians, while a great number of rebellions have joined the French, so while they were reduced to some 200 man in a besieged castle in the last year, now they command a highly sophisticated army of some 10.000 troops. The Germans have also become stronger, when three armies of some total 2.700 men joined the HRE Emperor in Tyrolia. Rovere ran his fingers through his gray beard.

Shortly, my Lords, we have a crisis on our hands that this empire never has experienced before.
All of the gathered generals began muttering as the Emperor abruptly spoke, his voice demanding immediate and undivided attention.
In all of my time he said, leaning back in his chair. I have never experienced such troubling year. None of my ancestors have, either. From the beginning of our recorded history, our conquests were swift, precise and successful, hardly demanding. Our generals won battles that were deemed impossible to be won, many of them were fought against those mysterious dogheads from the steppes of Asia, and most of them sit here at my side. We were at the verge of success of uniting the entire known world under our colors, and yet this happens.
What will you have us do, father? Prince Giovanni spoke as he fixed his fathers eyes. The Emperor turned to him.
What will I have you do?, he repeated slowly, tasting every word in his mouth as if it was some exquisite, unfamiliar fruit. What will I have you do?
Go out there and reclaim our lands. Go out and strike down all those rebellions.
That, my Lord Rovere silently spoke might not be possible; not against these odds.
After these words were spoken, Frangipanni hardly dared to look up, but when he did, he was stunned to see that the Emperor was smiling.
You must believe I've lost all of my wits, don't you, Lord della Rovere? No,he waved of the gray haired general's response, I know you meant no disrespect, and I'm not offended. No man can stop a storm, nor attack a tidal wave and split it in half. Therefore this will not be the course of your actions.

You will go out and fight for our Empire, and within one year we will see if we can survive this challenge and pass the test that our Lord Almighty has set up for us. We cannot fight all these battles, no one can. I know what must be done, but you will see to it how it is to be done.
Our armies will withdraw from most of the provinces that are deep inland, while we will guard and stand firm in all our sea provinces, especially in those rich in revenue and trade income. From the lands we withdraw from nothing, nothing but burnt land should remain behind; if those French and Hungarian dogs want the land, they can have it, but it shell be black and barren, and it shell bear not life. They will be unable to forge a single sword, equip not one new rider and conscript nothing but miserable peasants, which will eventually serve as practice for our knights.

The Emperor has turned to prince Giovanni. Our army in Toulouse must crash the enemy; once we destroy those walls, we will drag out the English king and execute him like a dog on the street, and his head will be displayed for everyone to see. Once he is dead, his faction will die, and the fleets that we hunt all over the seas will no longer obey to no one and will quietly disappear. Then, the world seas are ours again, and all of the besieged provinces can receive reinforcements. Son, this task I will leave in your hands; see that it is done, on this all depends. We can't get any catapults or guns there in time, I wish…
Father, the prince interrupted him, and his eyes had strange, fiery sparks in them; don't worry. It will be done; by my sword and my true heart, it will be done.
The Emperor nodded, and for a small moment his eyes looked at his son with all the love a parent could bring up, but in another instant he was again all cold and dangerously calm. He leaned back, opening his clutched fists, and spoke with silent grim that made his voice and appearance even more horrible than he would have been if he had screamed and cursed like a madman.

But that is not enough. Once we design our plan and you embark on this dangerous enterprise, the first victories will bring you captives. I want you to have no mercy, ever, to anyone. Captured soldiers are to be killed on the very battlefield, each and every one of them. Find them all and kill them all, all the cursed rebels, leave no man, woman or a child alive Show no mercy for traitors And once we reclaim those lands, I shell have my inquisitors in every province, and if someone as much as looks at them in an unfashionable manner, they should find their end at the stake Let be known what happens to those who betray the empire, so this may not repeat itself in thousand years

Now, let us make our plans and design our schemes; for this I perceive to be the longest year of my reign, and the bloodiest of them all.

The Wizard
02-09-2004, 22:01
Maria

Mother

of

Christ http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Look at all the rebellions Now I understand the name of this story

And it's well-written too. GJ there, voigtkampf http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

~Wiz

Voigtkampf
02-10-2004, 08:12
Quote[/b] (Wizzy @ Feb. 09 2004,15:01)]Maria

Mother

of

Christ http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Look at all the rebellions Now I understand the name of this story
You should have seen the entire map Oh, boy…

Quote[/b] ]And it's well-written too. GJ there, voigtkampf http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Huh… Thank you, Wizmaster ::blush response:: I was soooo rusty, I swear I could hear the squeaking of both my hands and brain; it has been a loooong time since I've written anything else then articles or scientific/legal stuff, but I hope I'll be back in shape very soon. Sequels are on the way, the most interesting battles of the Longest Year

frogbeastegg
02-10-2004, 10:33
You know when I transfered that picture over I was shocked at the large mess the player had managed to get themselves into. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif
Spectacular voigtkampf and probably a lot of fun to sort out. I look forward to hearing how you got out of this...if you did.

Voigtkampf
02-10-2004, 13:10
This is the greatest game I've ever played in my life, and it's interesting how it keeps throwing surprises at you. One turn the world is fine, I only need to conquer Switzerland and all of Europe but Iberian Peninsula would be under my rule, high loyalty, massive forces, good income… Then the next turn all hell breaks loose… Without any apparent reason (loss of the king etc.)

Story of my life, actually. Oh, mine, am I having fun with this one

Ludens
02-10-2004, 20:32
Quote[/b] (voigtkampf @ Feb. 10 2004,08:12)]Sequels are on the way
I wanted to ask if this was to be continued, but you have answered that question already.

Rusty? I didn't notice it. So far, we've got interesting characters in an even more interesting situation. I hope you will be able to put this in the sequels as well.

Voigtkampf
02-10-2004, 22:57
Quote[/b] (Ludens @ Feb. 10 2004,13:32)]Rusty? I didn't notice it. So far, we've got interesting characters in an even more interesting situation. I hope you will be able to put this in the sequels as well.
Lord Ludens, it was as if I was learning to walk again after a great and unfortunate accident I haven't written like this for ages, I simply had no time. I just kept thinking man, this sucks big time… Well, I guess it's better to be harder on yourself, it keep the edges sharp

Well, in immortal words of an unknown cop from Blade Runner, I hope I will have better one

Ludens
02-11-2004, 20:18
Quote[/b] (voigtkampf @ Feb. 10 2004,22:57)]It was as if I was learning to walk again after a great and unfortunate accident
Well, at least you have walked before. I am just learning to walk, despite giving comments on the way other people move about http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Well, I guess it's better to be harder on yourself, it keep the edges sharp
Very true indeed.

Voigtkampf
02-11-2004, 21:57
Quote[/b] (Ludens @ Feb. 11 2004,13:18)]Well, at least you have walked before. I am just learning to walk, despite giving comments on the way other people move about http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif .
Well, there is no rule that someone who doesn't write cannot criticize; in fact, most of the people do so I often find myself deeming some writers to be bad and know at the same time that I may well never reach their level of writing techniques, not to mention their selling numbers… ::sigh::

Eastside Character
02-12-2004, 23:41
I've never had any such situation while playing MTW, but in STW i had once rebellions in almost all of my provinces, and it was at the point when there were only 3 provinces to be taken.

The story is great, will it continue?

Regards,
EC

Voigtkampf
02-12-2004, 23:59
Quote[/b] (Eastside Character @ Feb. 12 2004,16:41)]The story is great, will it continue?

Regards,
EC
Thank you for compliments, and yes, the story will continue… Eventually… I need just one free evening to write the next tale down, I already managed to put up a third of it together. I just need some more time, the deadlines and other stuff I have going on are killing me.

The Wizard
02-13-2004, 10:14
Just one question: How do you get those tiny dots? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

~Wiz

Voigtkampf
02-13-2004, 17:57
Quote[/b] (Wizzy @ Feb. 13 2004,03:14)]Just one question: How do you get those tiny dots? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Huh? What dots?

The Wizard
02-13-2004, 22:39
Dots at the end of your sentences. They're smaller than mine... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

~Wiz

Voigtkampf
02-14-2004, 08:08
Now you embarrassed me… But I'll be though and modern and claim that size doesn't matter

Tiny dots come from my habit to write in Word and copy/paste it. Try it out, you can enjoy the tiny dots too

Now I'm going off for the weekend, don't know if I will be able to get to the Internet any time soon, and the next week there is a business trip on schedule; hopefully I will find the time to finish the part 2 and post it some time soon. 'Till then, take care and have fun and happy Valentines

Voigtkampf
02-20-2004, 19:01
Lately I remind myself of Goethe and his tempo while writing the Faust, only not nearly as good. However, part two of the Longest Year is here. Enjoy

Voigtkampf
02-20-2004, 19:04
EDIT: Because nobody noticed it here, I'll put it in a new topic. My bad, I put part 1 beneath the topic title, guess nobody expects it to be continued here.

Voigtkampf
02-21-2004, 23:18
So, there is this knight, right, and he goes of to a crusade and before he goes, he rounds all of his servants and his wife, says good-bye, bla, bla, and then he calls his best friend to his estate, points him to an overseer of all his lands and so on. Then he goes 'My friend, among all of my possessions, I will entrust you with the most valuable; my wife.' There he reaches in his pocket and pulls out a key. 'This' he says 'is the key to the virginity belt' - you know what that is, right? Of course you do. So, he goes 'This is the key to her belt, and I give it to thee for safekeeping until I have returned, my faithful friend.' Then they hug, the knight's friend pledges to look after the knight's possessions - including the large-bosomed maiden, he,he - and the knight rides off to join the crusade. Hardly did he ride for ten minutes when his friend comes galloping after him, waving and shouting out loud: 'Lord, you gave me the wrong key'
Luka grinned and spread his arms in there-you-have-it gesture while Mihael gave him a frosty look that fitted the winter surroundings more then well.
So?, Luka asked, grinning like a school boy. It is funny, you know.
Mihael took a deep breath.
Damn that day when father took pity and bought you off from that traveling circus.
Now, that hurts, dear brother. Luka said, grabbing his chest as if his heart ached. You wound me deeply, you know.
I just thought that there should be some sort of the virginity belt for your damn mouth. I would pay handsomely to get my hands on one of those.
You would have done better if you had laid your hands on that handsome peasant maiden that had her eyes on you in that tavern last night; you sure wouldn't be in such a rotten mood you are in now.
It is your damn mouth running all morning, rimbling and rambling as if there is no tomorrow, that hurts my ears and dampens my temper.
The way it seems, that might fit well, 'cause we will very likely not see another morning, my dear brother, so I would like to make up for the lost time and tell you each and every joke and try and lighten that ill humor you must have inherited from our mother's side of family.
Mihael looked at Luka with a most concerned expression, then he looked away to the horizon. Damn, now I do wish them to come as soon as possible. It just can't get worse.
Well, look at the bright side; at least it's not snowing anymore.
As if there is not more than enough snow already. Mihael suddenly stopped and turned around to Luka. Can the arquebusiers fire when it's snowing?
Now it was Luka's turn to look confused. I don't know… Never thought of that, actually. I don't think it gets that wet when it snows… But it does get really cold… What if the gunpowder freezes?
They looked at each other for a long moment and both suddenly started grinning. Man, I hate gunpowder and anything that has to do with it Luka said, upon which Mihael nodded.
I agree. If everything is alright, they can do reasonably well, but against a good cavalry charge or even a spear charge they are defenseless. Not a unit that I would entrust with holding the center of my lines.
Yes, lucky us to have no less then five of them Luka busted out and for a moment the two brothers laughed loudly and with true amusement. For a moment men looked up to their commanders sitting before their tent and laughing like they've gotten St. Vidas dance, but then they also grinned at the scene and continued on with their work, cleaning their weapons and following their businesses.
Oh, mine… Luka sighed as he slowly calmed down, wiping his eyes while he was still grinning. This is really humiliating. Stuck on the edge of the world in some forsaken land which name I can't even speak out –
Ireland. Mihael said absent-mindedly.
-buried in snow up to my medieval behind with only few units of Italian infantry and chivalric knights to rely upon while there is a massive army of Rebels closing in on us. Brother, I really hoped that I would die a comfortable death of exhaustion in some fine Venetian brothel, surrounded with oriental beauties that smell like jasmine and are as soft as silk.
Tough luck.
You can say that again.
Though luck.
Luka stared at his brother. Are you suddenly developing a sense of humor? Let me warn you, dearest brother, I sure couldn't survive that shock, even if I, by some act of miracle, did survive this little skirmish we are bound to face here.
I don't think it will be a little skirmish, but I think we will survive. Mihael reached for the glass of warm black vine the servant brought to them. We are not finished yet, not by a long shot.
If we only could get some reinforcements here, I would agree, but all the seas are blockaded, and we have no castle to fall back to.
We don't need anyone, Luka, we are elite, and that means something. Mihael said thoughtfully. Then he pointed out to the near soft hill. And we have that.
Luka followed the direction and looked at the crew of the demi-culverin that worked around their machine. He gazed at them and their movements that made little sense to him and sighed doubtfully. You really believe that devil's device could save us?
All we need is an edge, Luka. And I believe that thing and our guns can give us the edge we need to survive. I don't depend on them; I never could.
Mihael?
What about those kerns? I never fought them, I don't know anything about them.
Well, basically they are javelin men, they only use some sort of darts.
Darts? What do you mean?
They are only one feet long, or something, I don't know exactly.
That is no weapon for a man
I hope you are right.
Let me tell you something, my dear brother, Luka said and leaned over the table, grinning like a weasel the only one feet long dart I have is one I'll never waste on no Irish rebel fool, if you get my point.
Luka, you damn Saint Jago monkey
Luka laughed out loud and drank some more vine. He looked over the hills that surrounded them, observed the snow covered trees and benches that were bent under the burden of the surprising and unexpected snow that fell much earlier this year. The snow has stopped falling and it wasn't all that cold, but it didn't seem that it will melt any time soon, Luka thought depressed. He pulled cloak tighter around his shoulder and glanced thoughtfully in the distance.
Can't blame them, though. Mihael looked at him puzzled. What?
I can't blame the Irish. This is their land and all they want is to reclaim it for themselves. They don't want to be under the rule of some unknown master that lives two thousand miles away from them. This… This is how it should all be. For all of us, everywhere.
Brother, be careful. Mihael spoke silently, yet firm, fixing his glance upon Luka. You are standing on killing ground when you speak those words. Talk no more of such things. Eyes and ears of the Emperor are everywhere, in these troubled times it may need little to draw his wrath upon you.
I know. But I cannot help myself thinking… The Hungarians-
The Hungarians were strangers to us too. Mihael interrupted him harshly. Their ways were not ours, and the tributes we kept paying were the only guarantee that we wouldn't have to face them in war. We all knew that we would lose, but we would have crippled them beyond point of recovery, and others would have overrun them, so they didn't want the war either. What was brought to life was an alliance of unequal partners, and I have shed not one tear when the Italians have chased them away. Always remember, it is the Italian flag and their colors that are imprinted on Croatia, we are at their doorstep and could never we break us free, not that close to their seat of power.
Luka sighed and nodded slowly. Yes…I know. Mihael watched his brother closely. Maybe some day, Luka. Maybe some day we will be free and our own masters… But not today.
They set there silently for a little longer and then Mihael stood up.
It is time; the Rebel army will be here soon. Are you ready?
Luka looked up grinning. Like a bow-string.
Fine. Mihael nodded, smiling. Come; I should go and speak to people before we embark into this unfair endeavor and deploy our troops for the final engagement.
Why you want to speak to the troops? Luka asked, scratching himself on his head. They are already desperate enough
Mihael shook his head and laughed. That's the way I like you, you awkward goat-lover. Come on, let us go.

Mihael wasn't pleased with the battlefield that has presented itself, but there was neither time nor opportunity to seek out a more suitable area. After a short while he chose a smaller hill and deployed his troops across it, while left flank came close to a small portion of woods. Luka shook his head and pointed out that the rebels will definitely try to break through from there, using the trees as cover, upon which Mihael only nodded.
Exactly what I count upon. he said.
Luka looked at his brother and then he just sighed and waved of. “I guess you know what you are doing, as always. I’ll be off to the right flank.”
“No, you stay behind with me.”
“I don’t think I understood that.”
“Yes, you did, you insubordinate jackass, you stay behind and wait for my sign.”
“But I-“
“Leave it to Garibaldi, damn it” Mihael interrupted him annoyed. “What you want to do with 4 feudal knights, huh?”
“More out there then I would hiding behind the guns, that’s for sure You are the last chivalric knight that has remained; it’s a real shame you couldn’t get a new unit to lead, brother, but I can do a lot as a shock troop, even with only four men”
“And you’ll get your opportunity, brother, just be patient.”
Luka looked at him suspiciously. “You won’t cheat on me, right?”
“You’ll get your chance to get killed, don’t worry.”
“Fine. But don’t push it too far, I won’t wait forever”

The rebel army appeared on the horizon, and then they have disappeared again as they walked down the hill, they climbed the second one and slowly lined up on the hill across the Italian defense force. The Irish were slow and self-assured, Mihael thought grimly, and they hardly showed any sign of concern. Well, soon they will get one, he thought and observed as they regrouped and formed an attack formation, but he wasn’t going to give them not one more peaceful second. He turned to the captain of the demi-culverin crew and gave a sign.
“FIREEE” the captain shouted and an instant later the pleasant winter silence was interrupted by a great and sudden blast from the culverin; seconds later, in the very middle of the enemy lines the cannonball hit the ground, killing and mutilating more people on it’s way, bouncing off and leaving the trail of the and wounded behind. Mihael observed the effect and watched the units waver and lose their formations and directions, and nodded with grim. “Fire at will, commander” he exclaimed, and hardly some forty seconds later the second shot rang out and even more rebels found their demise.
Soon the first ranks began a slow approach uphill towards the defenders line and Mihael stiffened in his saddle. Soon, he thought, soon they will be close enough, and the gunners will show their worth. He gazed to the right flank where Garibaldi broke out with his unit of chivalric knights and charged two units of Irish arquebusiers; the overzealous troops halted their approach and were hastily deploying themselves into firing lines, while the gallowglasses that marched behind them began running to catch up the charge, but it was already too late. Garibaldi's forty men came down upon the gunners and the Irish had only time enough to fire one single volley, killing four knights before they were overrun. Soon the gallowglasses reached the fight, but Garibaldi was already pulling of and outflanking the slower rebel infantry. The right flank was secured, and once the chivalric knights were out of the line of fire, the two arquebusier units on the right flank opened fire upon the rebels, and Mihael knew that there was no imminent threat on that portion of the field. He turned his attention back to the main body of the enemy army.
The Irish were advancing, slowly but steadily, deploying their kerns in the front rows and gallowglasses following them. By now, all of the enemy troops where at the bottom of the hill so that demi-culverin couldn't pose a threat to them any longer; Mihael knew that would happen from the beginning, but he didn't want to risk the cannon and position him where the Irish actually had the chance to get to it. It was up to the guns now; the rebels closed in and stepped in the range of the Italian guns, but nothing happened. The kerns were getting closer and closer…
Then, suddenly and without any warning, another order was screamed and the entire front rank of the deployed Italian army fired one single, devastating volley, loud as thunders themselves and synchronized as almost as one man; the Irish lines wavered and dozens of men fell down, lifeless or blood-covered and screaming, clutching their intestines or holding their severed limbs from where the blood was flowing like being spilled from a bucket. It was a horrible, yet fascinating sight, and the Irish halted their approach for a moment, their lines losing all of their order. But the Italian arquebusiers weren't idle, and the first rank was falling back while the second stepped forward and raised their weapons.
TAAAAAKE AAAAIM the Italian commander shouted, splitting his lounges and raising his sword, and the soldiers followed the command. Mihael could see different faces from the enemy lines, looking up in fear to the Italian lines on the top of the hill. To them, he thought, we must appear like gods high on Olympus, spilling lightning and thunder upon them, and for a moment, just for a short moment, he felt compassion for those terrified men. Though familiar with the gunpowder and guns, the horror of experiencing them in battle could easily break a man's heart.
FIIIIREEEE the commander screamed and waved with his sword as if he was already cutting heads of his fallen opponents, and the second volley was fired, bringing more death and suffering to the rebels. Mihael asked himself whether the gunners have lost their hearings from that awful noise, and at the very same instance the first Irish kerns appeared from the woods on the left flank. The Italian gunners on the outmost position of the left flank turned to face the new, immediate threat and Mihael knew that the next few minutes will decide the outcome of the battle. The main body of the Irish was hit, but it was long from destroyed, and already the gallowglasses began charging between the thin lines of surviving kerns that swirled their javelins at the Italians, taking the first toll from the defenders. The kerns that came out of the woods were undoubtedly followed by more gallows, Mihael thought, and made a decision in the very instant.
Chaaarge he screamed, and at the sound of his voice the steady Italian lines moved, and when the moved, they moved like an avalanche. The arquebusiers loosened their formations and the Italian infantry and the chivalric sergeants charged through them, attacking the gallowglasses and kerns that were coming up the hill. Mihael waved of to his brother, pointing out a direction, and Luka immediately understood, charging the entire unit of kerns with his four remaining feudal knights and hitting their exposed flank. Mihael had time enough to send a short, silent prayer for his brother's safety, then he unsheathed his sword and, as only chivalric knight, he charged the kerns; an instant later the arquebusiers did the same and followed him.
If the Irish rebels could have described the Italian general that came down upon them as a hawk upon it's pray, they would have said that he was a huge man in a shining armor, riding a beast that was bigger than any horse they've ever seen and waving a sword that was bigger than any Zweihander or a Bastard sword they knew of. They could have said how great and terrifying the rider was, how fearless and demonic, as if he was the reincarnation of the invulnerable Achilles, begged on the merciless destruction of the Troy. Perhaps some of them could have described how frightened they were because he seemed to defy the death itself, or even to be the death himself, coming to get them
Alas, none of those could have described him, because by the sunset, all the kerns that challenged him were dead, and the small hill was covered by dead bodies and crows that came down for a feast. The snow, trampled down and blood drained, was only reminder of a mass route of the Irish army and merciless killings that took place on this battlefield on the other side of the world.

Ludens
02-22-2004, 10:27
Very good indeed, lord Voigtkampf.
The story of the war from the point of view of two men, not from the King's. As you notice, I like the 'human touch'.

However, I did notice this story in the other thread. I just didn't reply until I knew what to say.

Voigtkampf
02-22-2004, 11:28
Thank you, Lord Ludens Mihael and Luka simply appeared; I wasn't inventing them, they were there already, I just wrote about them. I like them and I believe will be seeing more of them as time goes by.

I posted the second part and for over 24 hours there were only 2 views, so I figured that nobody would expect the second part there and made a second topic. I'll probably try and see with Lady frogbeastegg if I can merge the two topics into one and change that part 1 description.

frogbeastegg
02-22-2004, 11:35
Quote[/b] (voigtkampf @ Feb. 22 2004,10:28)]I'll probably try and see with Lady frogbeastegg if I can merge the two topics into one and change that part 1 description.
Ok, I'll sort it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif It'll be one of the last things I do here, since the election ends tonight. I'll have to call in ShadesWolf since I still only have assistant mod powers here.

Great work, your story in a story was quite funny. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif In case you're interested the more usual term for 'virginity belt' is 'chastity belt'

Voigtkampf
02-22-2004, 11:48
Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ Feb. 22 2004,04:35)]Ok, I'll sort it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif It'll be one of the last things I do here, since the election ends tonight. I'll have to call in ShadesWolf since I still only have assistant mod powers here.
Thank you, my fair lady; if it would be possible, you could merge the part 2 topic with the number one topic, as well as keeping all the comments from other respected members… Perhaps I'm just vain, who can tell?

Quote[/b] ]Great work, your story in a story was quite funny. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif In case you're interested the more usual term for 'virginity belt' is 'chastity belt'

::bows::

I am glad you liked it and thank you for the hint; when it comes to some English expressions that are rarely used, such as the chastity belt, I tend to make mistakes, and I'm grateful when someone corrects me. Please do so whenever you see something off-beat.

frogbeastegg
02-22-2004, 11:55
I've asked ShadesWolf to merge both together and remove the 'part 1' tagline in favour of something like 'a series', the other few times he has merged topics he kept all the comments etc in order so no need to worry.

There are that many obscure and funny English expressionsd out there even the locals get them mixed up half the time, so don't feel bad. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

And I sympathise with your hmm, agitation? concern? (I just can't think of the word I mean, gah) on comments and view counts, nothing worse than spending ages writing something only for it to appear ignored.

Voigtkampf
02-22-2004, 19:14
Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ Feb. 22 2004,04:55)]I've asked ShadesWolf to merge both together and remove the 'part 1' tagline in favour of something like 'a series', the other few times he has merged topics he kept all the comments etc in order so no need to worry.
Thank you, my fair lady ShadesWolf has contacted me and I believe he will merge the two topics into a third, a new one, with the plain title The Longest Year, and no description.

Quote[/b] ]And I sympathise with your hmm, agitation? concern? (I just can't think of the word I mean, gah) on comments and view counts, nothing worse than spending ages writing something only for it to appear ignored.

Funny, I stopped caring how people view my articles for a long time, but when it comes to the Org, the opinion of the people here is very important to me. That is the best sign of how much I like this place and respect its members with whom I have had much pleasant and inspiring contact with.

I read my own stories and keep thinking Dear Lord in Heavens, I am sooo clumsy I can do better than that, far better. I feel as if I was a car that was left in the garage for years; the battery is dead, the tires are flat and here and there the paint has gone of and the rust is beginning to eat its way to the very essence of me. But I know that, given some time and effort, the tires can be replaced, the battery refilled and this once big and heavy engine could roll once again, eating up the highway at miraculous speed, making up for a real good ride. I must keep this car better cared after then I did 'till now.

Ludens
02-22-2004, 20:21
Quote[/b] (voigtkampf @ Feb. 22 2004,11:28)]Mihael and Luka simply appeared; I wasn't inventing them, they were there already, I just wrote about them. I like them and I believe will be seeing more of them as time goes by.
Each writer is born with a repertory company in his head. Shakespeare has perhaps 20 players, and Tennessee Williams has about 5... I have 10 or so, and that's a lot. As you get older, you become more skillful at casting them.
-Gore Vidal

Quote[/b] ]I feel as if I was a car that was left in the garage for years; the battery is dead, the tires are flat and here and there the paint has gone of and the rust is beginning to eat its way to the very essence of me. But I know that, given some time and effort, the tires can be replaced, the battery refilled and this once big and heavy engine could roll once again, eating up the highway at miraculous speed, making up for a real good ride.
The framework of that car is very beautiful, even if the performance is not what it was.

The Wizard
02-22-2004, 21:12
Nicely written, I like it.

Bis http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

~Wiz (formerly Wizzy, thanks Tosa)

Voigtkampf
02-22-2004, 21:52
Quote[/b] (Ludens @ Feb. 22 2004,13:21)]Each writer is born with a repertory company in his head. Shakespeare has perhaps 20 players, and Tennessee Williams has about 5... I have 10 or so, and that's a lot. As you get older, you become more skillful at casting them.
-Gore Vidal
God willing, one day I will all introduce you with Richard Bishop, the one I spent the most of my life with. He is still in my head, he came out once and made a mess beyond recognition, but it was a mess with style, if you understand. I never published it. He is still there, behind mine eyes, sitting in a big chair in some shadowy library and is smiling; you might want to sit next down to him and talk to him, so charming he can be, but there is death behind those glittering, smiling eyes of his.

Quote[/b] ]The framework of that car is very beautiful, even if the performance is not what it was.

Thank you for your kind words, my Lord Ludens, it is very much appreciated

Voigtkampf
02-22-2004, 21:55
Quote[/b] (The Wizard @ Feb. 22 2004,14:12)]Nicely written, I like it.

Bis http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

~Wiz (formerly Wizzy, thanks Tosa)
Huh? That you, Wizmaster? Boy, you gave me a nasty surprise Well, it's cool this way as well; The Wizzard Just don't come back in a month or so and make it The White Wizzard or something, I'm getting used to your new self

And thank you for the compliments, Wiz

The Wizard
02-22-2004, 22:08
Nah, I don't think Tosa will like me all that much if I want that. I'm just a Wizard, plain 'n' simple. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Now, your story is well written and it manages to capture the interest of its reader by constantly lifting a bit more of its intent.

While your car may have driven around in the salty breeze a bit too much, the engine hasn't been affected and the oil is fresh

~Wiz

Voigtkampf
02-25-2004, 18:10
My God, what have I done

I tried to bring some order into this mess with separated stories, with some kind help from the respected lord ShadesWolf, but now there are still my two locked topics and a new Longest Year thread

OMFG, someone get the flamethrower

Forgive me, for I didn't know what I was doing

ShadesWolf
02-25-2004, 23:02
Dont worry voigtkampf

The two locked threads will drop off http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif in time........

Im not really one for deleting things, it is much better to allow them to fall away normally...

Voigtkampf
02-26-2004, 08:22
Thanks, Lord ShadesWolf Well, it gave me a nasty shock to see all that mess I've caused. If you believe we should let the nature run its course… All right, I'm with you

Reminded me that the road to the hell is paved with good intentions

ShadesWolf
02-26-2004, 08:35
When I first became a Mod... I was keen to help out and keep things clean and tidy.

So everyday I would check thread, and those which were on page 4 or 5 I would close.. any that were also at the end of a later page I would delete... It took up a lot of time and effort.

I then got into an argument with a member about what I was doing, so we came an agreed solution the best day to deal with dead threads were if they were on the 4th or 5th page just ignore them, or if they were on the first page close them and let nature take its course....

Mouzafphaerre
03-31-2004, 07:24
-
BUMP http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-party2.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif

This is a great story. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif Any chance of continuation?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif
_

Voigtkampf
04-09-2004, 08:16
Haven't been to the mead hall for a while, shame on me. Yup, there should be a continuing some time soon, but don't bash me if I can't tell when exactly. Some day, my best guess…

Mouzafphaerre
04-09-2004, 14:55
-
Someday is much better than never. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
_