PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Bloodlines

The Tuffen
03-05-2004, 11:32
Is any one else looking forward to it?

I've been playing redemption over the last few days and can't wait for bloodlines to come out.

Sir Moody
03-05-2004, 21:28
very much so every preview make sit sound like a good conversion to 1st person - it hopefully will feel like System Shock did

The Tuffen
03-05-2004, 22:53
I don't know if i'll like the 1st person mode as much. I quite like the 3rd person perspective of Redemption. The nosferatu are giving me problems in it at the moment. They keep using their discipline that lets them hide http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif

Phatose
03-06-2004, 05:22
I did not like redemption at all, so I'm kind of hesistant. Vampires are cool, and vampires and machines guns is even cooler....but redemption just wasn't a very good game. So, this is a 'wait and see' for me.

Basileus
03-06-2004, 09:39
The trailer ipmressed me alot, i think its going to be a realy fun game http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

The Tuffen
03-06-2004, 17:26
Yeah hopefully it will be a great game. Its a pity it's not out till october.

Basileus
03-06-2004, 20:14
If i recall its going to use the HF2 engine.? im i right

Sir Moody
03-06-2004, 21:01
yes its the HL2 engine and from the looks of it is actually further along than HL2....

The Tuffen
03-07-2004, 00:38
Yeah it's got an earlier release date than HL2. HL2 isn't out next year according to Game.

Sir Moody
03-07-2004, 03:03
heh a game licencing the engine coming out before the engine :D doubt it HL2 will come out with Vampire on its heels - they wont let a licenced game go out before the engine

The Tuffen
03-08-2004, 01:27
Quote[/b] ]heh a game licencing the engine coming out before the engine :D doubt it HL2 will come out with Vampire on its heels - they wont let a licenced game go out before the engine

Ah my mistake I read it wrong, just looking on Game.uk.com, It says that bloodlines is out oct 2004 and HL2 is out Q2 2004 for Xbox but it says TBC for the PC http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

Thought it said Q2 2005 last time i looked http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-embarassed.gif

The Tuffen
10-20-2004, 20:29
Just been looking on gamespot as it should be out soon. Sounds pretty good so far. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6026606.html

edit:also just read on Gamespot that there is also going to be a Vampire-the masqurade movie

Thoros of Myr
10-20-2004, 20:56
Currently one of my most anticipated games. I will wait for the reviews and impressions first though before purchasing. I've always thought Troika's past work showed huge potential but it just hasent quite come together in one game for them yet. If this is that game expect it to be one of the great action/rpg/ games in a long while.

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-20-2004, 21:17
I think the rumoured HL2 RD is about the 7 November.

The Tuffen
10-20-2004, 21:59
I think the rumoured HL2 RD is about the 7 November.

Game's website says 16th of nov. Doesn't bother me when HL2 is out though as i'm not getting it because i havn't got a DVD ROM drive on my main computer.

Can't wait for bloodlines though, will be getting it as soon as it comes out.

dessa14
10-21-2004, 07:28
i would get the game for one reason, its made by troika and isn't just thrown together like their other game.
thanks,
dessa

The Tuffen
10-22-2004, 12:01
What over games have troika done?

dessa14
10-22-2004, 12:48
other games... Arcanum.
thanks
dessa

Lemur
10-22-2004, 13:42
Didn't they also do Pools of Radiance? I think that's where they got some bad rep. Arcanum was pretty darn great, so let's not go blaming that one.

I hope they redeem themselves and then some with Masquerade.

Navaros
10-22-2004, 13:58
Redemption was great. it had the best interface, sound, and graphics i've ever seen in an RPG game.

Bloodlines is made by a different dev than Redemption tho so i'm skeptical about if it will be better than Redemption

The Tuffen
10-22-2004, 16:13
I really enjoyed redemption and still play it now.

Really hoping that bloodlines is good. It sounds pretty good now, i like the fact that if you reveal the fact your a vampire you get vampire hunters after you and then if you keep using your vampire powers even more hunters come after you.

Bob the Insane
10-28-2004, 17:12
I expect this game to be everthing Deus Ex 2 should have been...

I have high expectations... ~D

Spino
10-28-2004, 17:58
What over games have troika done?

They also did Temple of Elemental Evil

Bob the Insane
10-28-2004, 20:01
The core group worked at Interplay on the outstanding Fallout games...

Armchair Athlete
10-29-2004, 06:58
I expect this game to be everthing Deus Ex 2 should have been...

I have high expectations... ~D

I'm hoping for this to be what Deus Ex 2 wasn't as well

Bob the Insane
11-19-2004, 11:51
Well I have just purchased it so I will report on how it plays... I am really looking forward to this and from the reviews I have read as long as I am expecting a first person RPG (FPRPG?!?!?) and not a hybrid RPG/FPS I should be well happy...

I am going to MPH 04 tonight so I probably will not have a go at Boodlines to much later...

The Tuffen
11-19-2004, 14:43
I havn't got it yet although as it I pre-ordered it and it hasn't arrived yet. Knowing my luck though it will come while i'm at work

The_Emperor
11-19-2004, 15:08
I was a big fan of Redemption, I thought it was a cool game with a fairly unpredictable storyline.

When is Bloodlines out?

Bob the Insane
11-19-2004, 15:23
umm... it is out... That's how I bought it...

It was released on the 16th in the US and today in the UK..

Efrem
11-20-2004, 08:28
I was a big fan of Redemption, I thought it was a cool game with a fairly unpredictable storyline.

When is Bloodlines out?
And on the 25th in aus.

Bob the Insane
11-22-2004, 11:39
Bought it and am playing it...

Basically it rocks, but...

My system is pretty happy running HL2 at a pretty high resolution with high details...

I can have the same setting in Bloodlines but the machine is definately struggling in places. Especially the city hubs which can turn into a slide show on occasion. Add to this that the quality of the textures, while very good compared to any but HL2 are simply not in the same league as HL2... Character animations can be a bit dodgy at times too... But if we had not seen HL2 yet we would be very impressed...

This is a first person RPG definately (with hints of FPS and street fighter)... It is not an FPS or an an equally weighted FPS/RPG hybrid like Deus Ex 2.... It is a lot like the original Deus Ex except more emphasis is placed of melee (hand to hand) combat and slightly less on guns... This is mostly, I believe, because firearms are of limited use against supernatural creatures in the WOD universe... But there is a fair selection of guns to get hold of and if you bump up the right stats you can get through the game as a gun bunny (and they are naturally very effective against humans)...

Think of the following: Vampires (specifically WOD style) + Deus Ex (orginal) style 3D environments and fighting + Fallout style of quest based inteactive RPG (loads of conversations with additional choices based on you skills all leading to geting quests or completeing quests) + Tecken (inspiration for hand to hand combat...)

It really feels like Fallout, in 3D, with vampires and all in and around LA...
There ithe same element of "collect all the quests" as there is in Fallout, and you can not really become uber, like in Fallout you will never be able to get remotely close to maxing out all your skills and will have to chose if you want to be good at something or average at loads of things...

Personally I think it rocks and the greater interactivity of the story has succeeded in distracting me for HL2 (for a while)...

SwordsMaster
11-22-2004, 12:49
Are you saying its a bit like KOTOR then?

Bob the Insane
11-22-2004, 14:59
Are you saying its a bit like KOTOR then?

Yes but... More conversation options and a little less action (more opportunity for less action is a better way of putting it, you can try and fight your way through if you want!! ~D )...

If you think of KOTOR as Baldur's Gate in 3D with Jedi then, as I said, Bloodlines is Fallout in 3D with Vampires...

edit: add to that you have more direct control over the fighting than in KOTOR too....

SwordsMaster
11-22-2004, 15:04
cool, cheers m8, Im getting it ASAP. ~:cheers:

econ21
11-22-2004, 22:59
Crumbs, anything that can be compared to Fallout is a must buy in my book.

The only thing that puts me off Vampire Bloodlines is, well - how can I put this without sounding dumb? - being a vampire. I always try to role-play the "light side" path and the idea of feeding off tramps doesn't quite mesh with that. Can you act according to a "good" alignment or is it only for roleplaying amoral, Grand Theft Auto, type characters?

SwordsMaster
11-22-2004, 23:16
You know Simon, life is a paradox. "Beasts we are to avoid becoming beasts"
What the game *should* represent, (for me as a former Vampire:TM table RPG) is a being that has been human and now has to feed from humans to survive.But trying to remain as human as possible.

Thats where the paradox lies. We´ll see.

Leet Eriksson
11-22-2004, 23:55
I bought the game, i have to say its good ~:)

The charecter creation is robust, you have 7 clans to choose from and several skills to shape your charecter the way you like. One particular vampire clan, the Ventrue, lust for power more than blood, so they have talking skills easier for them, but they suck less blood than the other vampires ~;p this game will probably last me several playthroughs to try the different charecters and clans.

dessa14
11-23-2004, 09:08
well i guess its a good troika game.
it is troika right...
the other thing is they have spent three years making this game, while they made temple of elemental evil in about a week.
thanks,
dessa

frogbeastegg
11-23-2004, 09:56
This is sounding very promising. I've read a few reviews and a topic on another forum and I see a lot of CTDs, bugs and slow down problems mentioned. Is the game really this buggy? Sounds like a case of waiting for a patch :sigh: every PC game I'm interested in just now needs patching.

I don't suppose there's a demo anywhere? I did a quick google search and I didn't find one.

Bob the Insane
11-23-2004, 10:40
I have not seen any CTDs but slow downs and a basically pretty poor frame rate I do see... My system is no ninja but it throws HL2 around the screen at a respectable rate so I was expecting things to be okay...

I think this is a combination of some texture loading issues spotted in HL2 and some a lack of optimisation on the levels... Optimization is a double edged sword in this case as you have such freedom to move around they can't really leave the backs off buildings and such like...

As for bug, name me a CRPG of any complexity where there were not a few quest bugs in the initial release.... Hopefully to be fixed...

The biggest issue floating around at the moment is the apparant cuts in the UK/Euro version... There is no official response and there is discussion about whether this is just dodgy animation or not, but basically people in the US are not really reporting seeing these issues. I remember that Fallout too had a dodgy cut for the euro release where they had removed the graphics for all the kids in the game (even broke some quests), so it is possible something like this was done.

But saying that I have not heard of anything I would miss from the game...

The Tuffen
11-23-2004, 12:17
bloodlines is pretty cool, i played it for a bit yesterday (didn't get much time playing it as I had to help my mate sort out an internet connection so that he could play HL2 - which took over an hour to set up)

I have noticed a bit of slowdown although that is usually when i enter a new area. The quests that i've played are good and one of the early ones which involves you going to a haunted hotel is quite spooky.

Character creation is quite good and you do get to choose what you want to specialize in (although melee is a good one to get upgraded as guns are less effective against the supernatual creatures).

I havn't seen any CTD's yet but admit that there are a few bugs - i was unable to complete the training as when i got to the stealth section of training the guy I was supposed to sneak passed dissapeared completly which ment i couldn't complete the next section which was to attack him

frogbeastegg
11-23-2004, 15:37
Oh go on then, you've talked me into it. I'll risk having a third PC game sat around waiting for a patch (joining RTW and CK. I'm also waiting for RCT3 to be patched up to playable staus before I buy). I admit I'm not too interested in the setting or the vampires but I've been wanting a good RPG since I finished KOTOR for the third time around a year ago.

SwordsMaster
11-23-2004, 15:58
ordered, will have it here for Friday hopefully. *crosses fingers,*

Efrem
11-24-2004, 05:07
Its relesed tomorrow in aus and I hope to pick it up at EB on my way home.

The_Emperor
11-24-2004, 09:50
You know Simon, life is a paradox. "Beasts we are to avoid becoming beasts"
What the game *should* represent, (for me as a former Vampire:TM table RPG) is a being that has been human and now has to feed from humans to survive.But trying to remain as human as possible.

Thats where the paradox lies. We´ll see.

Indeed, Vampire: Redemption had a good central character of a former Crusading knight who was turned into a vampire against his will and suffered a crisis of faith and humanity... His inner conflict between the beast within, and clinging to his last aspects of humanity was a part of the game, and killing any innocents that you fed upon strengthened the beast within causing a drop in your humanity rating.

So it is probably possible to play a moral vampire in the new game if its anything like redemption.

SwordsMaster
11-24-2004, 17:35
hmm... Just checked the website to quiet down the impatience and the selection of weapons is quite miserable. Actually it is quite sad that you only have, what, 4 guns and 1 yes 1 melee weapon. Is that all?

Another thing, is the story linear? I mean do you HAVE to complete the missions in a certain order, or are you allowed to have some variety as in GTA vice city and such?

Bob the Insane
11-24-2004, 18:23
hmm... Just checked the website to quiet down the impatience and the selection of weapons is quite miserable. Actually it is quite sad that you only have, what, 4 guns and 1 yes 1 melee weapon. Is that all?

Another thing, is the story linear? I mean do you HAVE to complete the missions in a certain order, or are you allowed to have some variety as in GTA vice city and such?

Where did you get all that from???

Check out:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/vampirebloodlines/

And this appears to be one of the most popular fan sites with a forum:

http://bloodlines.dilapidation.com

Story is quest based like Fallout and you do have quite a lot of freedom to do the quests when you want... Some quest come early and are lost if you don't complete before certain later quests.. All the normal stuff.

But saying that there is a pretty tightly written story in there too and some quests you have to do in a certain order simply because it is one guys agenda that you are working on...

As for melee weapons my character is presently carrying around a knife and a somebodies arm... ~D

P.S. This is a 3D RPG and not a shooter... It has FPS elements but it is primarily an RPG.. Take that to heart before purchasing it..

SwordsMaster
11-24-2004, 21:51
check out:
www.vampirebloodlines.com

I think thats the official game page.

And, Yeah, I know its an RPG, I completed the first one, but I remember it had LOADS of different weapons that why i was asking. But if you can carry an arm around I´ll take you get enough diversity ~D

Thanks for the links.

The Tuffen
11-25-2004, 00:34
i havn't come across many guns yet (about 4 of them at the moment but i am only in the second area). I have come across a couple of melee weapons though which include a baseball bat, a severed arm (as was mentioned before), a tire iron (think thats what its called), a knife and a fireaxe which is very fun hehe.

Efrem
11-26-2004, 10:45
This game is Awesome!!

If it wasn't for the load times I would declare it the best RPG I've ever played. (Morrowind still beats it though.)

I have to wait 1 minute for an area to load that I will spend 30 seconds in on my way to another area incuring a 2 minute load time.

On the other hand, it looks beutiful and the voice acting is astounding....

This gameplay wise is the best RPG out there, you feel you are your character, its like being stuck in a vampire movie. The haunted house mission is worth 90$ alone let alone surrounded by an amazing game.

THis game is let down by some technical [mess]ups that can be fixed no doubtatbly with some patchs and updating drivers.

If you like vampires, buy this game. If you like RPGs Buy this game. If you like both then run out now and get it by any means possible.

frogbeastegg
11-27-2004, 12:21
The game finally arrived this morning; I've just finished the tutorial section and so far wow! That facial animation is really incredible, and I sat around for about 10 minutes listening to the junk on the radio. Then I checked my email and found it swimming in spam. Mmmmm, detail.

I went with a female ventrue character; I'm waltzing about in a posh frock seducing the heck out of everyone. :kiss2:

My only grumble is that the voices are quite quiet; sometimes it's hard to hear what people are saying, the dialogue keeps gettinhg drowned out by ambiant sounds. I turned enviromental audio off and that at least got rid of the echo on speech. Subtitles are useless; they don't appear half the time. :sigh: I hate it when games only have one volume control instead of several seperate ones.

In other news dilapidation has been hacked and the forums appear to have been wiped.

Efrem
11-28-2004, 01:00
The only problem I've ever had with voices was trying to listen to jenette and therese through the wall. Subtitles have never been a problem either, when I feel like them I click then click againt to stop them, left mouse button btw.

Sir Moody
11-28-2004, 13:12
my experianbce with the game has been a joy - right up until finishing Hollywood... suddenly im stuck with a bug that means i cant fnish half the side quests... (tho i can do the main story line so...) hopefully a patch will fix this if Activision stop been a pain and let the developers realease one (apararntly its been ready for some time but Activision wont allow it to be released)

Lechev
11-28-2004, 15:38
Any MP for this game? Thanks.

SwordsMaster
11-29-2004, 01:16
Got it, finishing Downtown missions about now. Found a bug running ahead of the missions. Anyway, great game, the atmosphere is great, and that haunted mansion mission was really good. The problem is the specs. God this game needs a PC that doesnt exist yet! My PC is 2 months old and Im running it a medium specs coz otherwise its just a slideshow...

I´m running around witha Brujah (I was going to pick Ventrue, but the image of the guy was quite pityful...)

Anyway, enjoying it very much.

The Tuffen
11-29-2004, 02:34
It is great fun. Brujah is one of my favorite clans. Might go with Gangrel next so that i can attack people with claws.

There are some very creepy places in the game like a haunted hotel and a mansion that resembles a mental institute (complete with mad people that attack you)

Efrem
11-29-2004, 06:35
Malkavians are the best. They have a special name for ever character in the game.

"the man by numbers"

"The jester"

"fleet footed son of mercury"

"the daughters of janus"

THeir dialogue is simply hilarious.

I've yet to hear any "voices" yet, and I'm up to downtown on that save.

The_Emperor
11-30-2004, 00:55
Well I have the game and am trying to enjoy it (when it doesn't lockup)

I am currently experiencing some severe memory drain issues with this game... After playing for a while I get the windows message that the memory file is too small and is being increased, after that it tends to lockup and crash, and it requires an entire reboot of my system. (since we can't end task the program)

This is a major issue for me and I haven't exactly got a low spec machine either. (granted I only have 512 mb ram but that is the recommended spec)

I'm gonna post this on the fansite forums but it doesn't look too good.

SwordsMaster
11-30-2004, 12:52
Aaaaargh!! Possible spoiler follows.

Im doing that "plague mission". After I pick up the flyer i get in that "temple" and start climbing the stairs. And those zombies are everywhere!

Even After I personally shotgun every single zombie in a room (Im a methodic guy ~D ) as soon as I get in the next room they appear behind me again.!

Any suggestions? Just run thru the whole building? But there is loads of them!

Thanks

The Tuffen
11-30-2004, 13:37
Don't try and take every one out as more seem to spawn behind you anyway (I ran through the whole house with the fireaxe).

The_Emperor
12-03-2004, 15:53
Ok, just out of curiosity, have you guys used the character creation wizard to select your clan?

It can be interesting if you answer the questions honestly to see what it comes up with to best suit you.

What did you get for it when you initially used it?

When I used it my clan match was a Toreador :wink3:

The Tuffen
12-03-2004, 16:20
I havn't yet but will try it when I get home. Hopefully it gives me a clan with celerity as i don't know what i'd do without it.

The_Emperor
12-03-2004, 16:45
I didn't actually find celerity that useful, though its probably because I used autolevel on my Toreador and my melee stats sucked bad. (most got poured into Seduction and persuasion feats I think)

At any rate I started a new game as a Ventrue and I have to say Dominate rocks... It comes up with some interesting conversation options and the Suicide option is very handy for enemies.

DisruptorX
12-04-2004, 01:21
I didn't actually find celerity that useful, though its probably because I used autolevel on my Toreador and my melee stats sucked bad. (most got poured into Seduction and persuasion feats I think)

At any rate I started a new game as a Ventrue and I have to say Dominate rocks... It comes up with some interesting conversation options and the Suicide option is very handy for enemies.

Celerity works with guns, too. ~;) In fact, I can't imagine using guns without it.

I got really pissed though, at the later part of the game, where it turns into a crappy action game with infinite respawning enemies. You literally see them appear in front of you and drop a few feet because they spawn in the air. :furious3:

otherwise, wow, just wow. Awesome game.

Efrem
12-04-2004, 05:58
I like Celerity, Obscufate and Demention.

The_Emperor
12-04-2004, 20:13
I like Celerity, Obscufate and Demention.

You must really like the Malkavians then... Their conversation options really are wierd though (and rather funny).

I like the way how whenever you talk to someone they go "Oh GOD your a Malkavian"... ~D

I heard the Nossies are really cool to play as, but i haven't tried them out yet... I hear the ugliness factor can really work against you.

SwordsMaster
12-04-2004, 20:35
....specially when seduction comes into play...

Efrem
12-05-2004, 05:25
You must really like the Malkavians then... Their conversation options really are wierd though (and rather funny).

I like the way how whenever you talk to someone they go "Oh GOD your a Malkavian"... ~D

I heard the Nossies are really cool to play as, but i haven't tried them out yet... I hear the ugliness factor can really work against you.

Yes I love Malkavians.

The best bit is when you use demention as a dialogue option to make someone think your their pet turtle from when they were a child. (the chick that recognises you from when you were a human in Hollywood.)

"So whats it like being a turtle?"

Ok, just out of curiosity, have you guys used the character creation wizard to select your clan?

I did and got malkavian.

The_Emperor
12-06-2004, 14:31
....specially when seduction comes into play..

Yeah I found out when my Nossie walked into the Asylum and talked to the readhead chick

"Arrhaa"!!

"Oh come on its not all about looks is it?" ~D

I do like the Malkavian Demention speech options as well. "I am a keyring, FEED ME!!"

Somebody Else
12-08-2004, 05:35
Playing as a Malkavian made my real life conversations a little more entertaining... I really shouldn't keep picking up on what I've been reading.

Incidentally, character selection got me as a Toreador then a Malkavian (on my second, third and fourth goes at it.

The_Emperor
12-08-2004, 12:21
On my second run through the selection wizard it came up with me as a Tremere... They are certainly one of my fave clans, battlewise Blood magic is great and easily replenishes your blood supply for disciplines (but it doesn't heal you the same as feeding does). My Tremere is certainly having it easier than my Ventrue and Toreador have so far.

Also that chantry of theirs Downtown can really mess with your mind! The first time I went in there I couldn't find the way out and kept winding up at Mr Strauss' door!! Still I eventually figured it out but the layout of that place can really mess with you.

Leet Eriksson
12-08-2004, 12:33
Anyone played tremere yet?

they have thaumateurgy or whatever it is, its basically offensive in nature, but once its upgraded to full you get the mass suicide ability, it is very effective against human enemies, simply upon activation anyone arund you starts choking himself/herself to death, wich is pretty funny.

Also try playing ventrue and feeding on bums, its pretty funny ~D

The Tuffen
12-08-2004, 13:59
I havn't played tremere yet. Might do next time although the Malks are looking to be my next choice.

I'm currently playing though as a Toredor.

When i did the questions on char creation it picked me as a nossie

The_Emperor
12-08-2004, 14:11
Also try playing ventrue and feeding on bums, its pretty funny ~D

"Your body rejects the blood of this lowborn human" yeah thats quite lovely.

On level 2 Thaumagy, you get the Purge spell, and that is great! It causes anyone caught in the radius of the spell to vomit blood like a Ventrue in that situation.

I gave Gimble one blast of it and half of his health was vomited up in one sitting!! (Nice!) it can also be very funny to do it when surrounded by foes forcing them all to stop and chuck up at once...

they have thaumateurgy or whatever it is, its basically offensive in nature, but once its upgraded to full you get the mass suicide ability

I think mass-suicide is Dominate rather than Thaumagy (But Tremere get that anyway), though i have yet to reach level 5 on it. (My tremere just hit level 3, Blood Shield and I know level 4 is mass blood-strike... Not too sure about level 5 though)

But they are great battlewise.

Bob the Insane
12-08-2004, 15:19
I didn't actually find celerity that useful

You would be surprized what you can achieve with celerity and a gun... ~D

Mind you celerity and a sword is even better,,, :duel:

It can also make aggressive feeding pretty easy...

Leet Eriksson
12-08-2004, 23:02
"Your body rejects the blood of this lowborn human" yeah thats quite lovely.

On level 2 Thaumagy, you get the Purge spell, and that is great! It causes anyone caught in the radius of the spell to vomit blood like a Ventrue in that situation.

I gave Gimble one blast of it and half of his health was vomited up in one sitting!! (Nice!) it can also be very funny to do it when surrounded by foes forcing them all to stop and chuck up at once...

I think mass-suicide is Dominate rather than Thaumagy (But Tremere get that anyway), though i have yet to reach level 5 on it. (My tremere just hit level 3, Blood Shield and I know level 4 is mass blood-strike... Not too sure about level 5 though)

Woops confused dominate with thuamaturgy, level 5 gets you blood boil.

I'm pretty late game with my brujah charecter btw, and i find upgrading presence and potence makes you a very powerful force to be reckoned with when handling a melee weapon, if you upgrade strength and melee all the way up with presence and potence i doubt you'll ever lose any battle you encounter.

presence at full reduces the enemies ability, especially when fighting vampires who use their claws, at -5 strength they would barely do any damage, and potence boosts strength to +5, that is a maximum of 15 for your melee, combine that with blood strength(or something else, but every clan has it) and you get 20 melee points! although blood strength or whatever has a very short time before it cancels the effect and takes alot of blood points.

Efrem
12-10-2004, 09:59

Mass suicide is also final level of Demention.

The_Emperor
12-10-2004, 10:31
presence at full reduces the enemies ability, especially when fighting vampires who use their claws, at -5 strength they would barely do any damage, and potence boosts strength to +5, that is a maximum of 15 for your melee, combine that with blood strength(or something else, but every clan has it) and you get 20 melee points! although blood strength or whatever has a very short time before it cancels the effect and takes alot of blood points.

Ahh yes Blood Buff.

Heres a tip that could help you out...

If you go to the Tremere Chantry and Speak with M Strauss
(green building opposite the building with the 3rd Plague Bearer in and that skull Icon on it), when you finish the Plague bearer Quest for him, accept his offer of an item... You will get the Blood Star, which will double the length of Blood Buff.

Leet Eriksson
12-10-2004, 11:17
Argh, i did that quest, but for the anarchs in downtown, from Damsel

I'm pretty sure you can't go above 20 of any feat, its probably the limit.

The_Emperor
12-10-2004, 11:34
Heres more about that quest...

You actually do it for both, as the Tremere directs you to talk with the Anarchs about it. So you can really play both sides in that quest. The Tremere rewards you on behalf of the Camarilla, unlike the Anarchs who just give you their respect. The Tremere offers you a choice between money or an item as your reward, he compliments you on a wise choice if you choose the item... As "True Wealth lies not in money but the things it provides us"

SwordsMaster
12-10-2004, 15:13
Just did that questioning method to create a character, and got Gangrel... Not too far from my original Brujah choice...

Got a problem tho:

After I finish the Society of Leopold mission rescuing the Norwegian archaeologist, I flee to the boat, but when I reach the boat (in time), the game shows a loading screen says "quest log updated" and CTDs. Anyone?

Leet Eriksson
12-10-2004, 18:58
SwordMaster: There is a fix for that, its an unofficial patch, but anyways it worked for me:

http://www.planetvampire.com/files/omaVampPatch1.0.exe

Don't worry, no fileplanet or that sort of bull, its a straight download.

The Tuffen
12-10-2004, 19:50
or you can do it via the console, you need to add -console to the end of the target of your shortcut after the ".

then when in the game press the ~ key to open it. then type

SaveJohansen - this is if you saved johansen

then type: changelevel2 La_hub_1 taxi_landmark

do this as close as poss to the boat as some people have reported losing there inventory. Also save it before you try

SwordsMaster
12-10-2004, 23:08
cheers guys. The "blood" is on me next time ~;) ~:cheers:

The_Emperor
12-11-2004, 13:44
cheers guys. The "blood" is on me next time ~;) ~:cheers:

Just make sure its quality blood, No Rats or lowlifes. ~;)

SwordsMaster
12-11-2004, 19:53
Well of course, I know a place that has that something special.... ~;)

On a different note, Ive just finished it! and loved the end of it!

Go Jack!

The Tuffen
12-23-2004, 00:57
I have to say i was slightly dissapointed with the ending. There is much that isn't explained.

like what got Beckett really scared

Anyway a patch has been released and links can be found to it here http://www.troikagames.com

Quietus
01-25-2005, 09:13
Finally got to play the game. Had this since November but it's been an utter slideshow and stutterfest, thus unplayable. Turned out, the drivers NVidia is giving me was wrong :dizzy2:

It's definitely a fun, generally immersive game with lots of areas/quests to explore (Riddick still beats this, Far Cry or RTW IMPO). I'm probably 1/4 into the game. I just use melee since guns are not really ideal (read: fun and wieldy) to use here. I use the Toreador clan, and my preferred discipline is "presence" with ocassional "blood buff" for picking locks.

SPOILER***

Have a question for everyone. Are all the items useful? I still have items from completed quests such as the "diary". ~:)

The_Emperor
01-25-2005, 09:57
Have a question for everyone. Are all the items useful? I still have items from completed quests such as the "diary". ~:)

Those items are not really very useful at all later on and just take up space. Personally i dumped a lot of the "paperwork" from previous quests in the chest at the Downtown apartment.

Later on though you can find some really cool magic items that give you stat boosts if you keep them on your person, so its worth making sure you have room for them.

I also have a Toreador, I find them to be a very gun-orientated choice of clan (if your going for sheer melee power I would sugguest a Brujah) because of the perception stat increase from the Auspex discipline... Which gives a temporary boost to your ranged combat feat.

At any rate as the Male Toreador I found it rather unsettling that in some conversations with some Male NPCS I got Pink Seduction feat text... ~:eek: Needless to say I always chose another conversation option in such cases, the Pink text is reserved for the female NPCS like VV ~;)

econ21
01-25-2005, 10:41
I just use melee since guns are not really ideal (read: fun and wieldy) to use here.

Melee is far more powerful early on, IMO. However, in the late game (esp. against boss monsters), I tended to gravitate more towards guns. By the end you should have a fair amount of experience points, so it might be wise to keep your combat options open.

Quietus
01-26-2005, 03:48
I also have a Toreador, I find them to be a very gun-orientated choice of clan (if your going for sheer melee power I would sugguest a Brujah) because of the perception stat increase from the Auspex discipline... Which gives a temporary boost to your ranged combat feat. Hmmm, maybe because I picked my own stats. Seems like I'm a Brujah player then since I don't like the guns here at all (and I have zero range combat value, hehe). Also, what I found surprising is that my unarmed combat is more powerful than my melee stats (both have 3 rating). At least that's what the stat sheet says.

At any rate as the Male Toreador I found it rather unsettling that in some conversations with some Male NPCS I got Pink Seduction feat text... LOL.

Melee is far more powerful early on, IMO. However, in the late game (esp. against boss monsters), I tended to gravitate more towards guns I have two guns. But I've never used one aside from the tutorial. I've getting alot of ammo though so that can be could be good in the future if as you say the melee doesn't work exclusively anymore.

I can't wait to find a sword though. So far it is not available anywhere. ( I really liked that movie Underworld ~:cool: )

frogbeastegg
02-18-2005, 19:53
I just heard on another forum that Troika has closed its doors, so no second patch for Vampire. ~:mecry:

Efrem
02-19-2005, 02:35
WHAT!!!

I don't think it needed a second patch but this means no expansion pack or sequal!!!!!!

BTW, you this ain't really spoiling anything but china towns melee weapon is a samuri sword.

Quietus
02-19-2005, 03:00
WHAT!!!

I don't think it needed a second patch but this means no expansion pack or sequal!!!!!!

BTW, you this ain't really spoiling anything but china towns melee weapon is a samuri sword.

There is a petition that's been out for awhile: Bloodlines Petition (http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/bloodlines)

I doubt, it will garner enough attention or signatures though.

As for the katana. I got accustomed to my fireaxe ~D. I've been saving experience points (now ~100 points). I'm close to finishing the game though. :duel:

econ21
02-19-2005, 03:31
I don't get it - Vampire Bloodlines was a brilliant game. One of the best CRPGs ever. Why was its popular and critical reception so lacklustre? It seems to have joined that band of superlative computer games that have not received the sales they deserved, alongside other notables such as Planescape Torment, Jagged Alliance 2 and System Shock 2.

Quietus
02-22-2005, 03:16
Apparently, it was released prematurely (to capitalize on holiday sales and Half-life 2 hoopla, with the game using the same engine). The lukewarm reviews and bad word-of-mouth due to the bugs really killed it.

Efrem
02-23-2005, 12:16
:( Horrible, all you had to do was look past the bugs and there was a work of art.

Kekvit Irae
02-24-2005, 01:38
Truely, the radio was the best part of the game.

Caller (franticly explaining how he became a vampire): ...she took me in the restroom and DID SOMETHING TO ME!!
Deb: Back in my day, we used to call that a favor.

:tongueg:

Kekvit Irae
02-24-2005, 01:54
Speaking of which, I really should break out that game again. The newly-discovered histories are looking quite nice.

For Malks:
Ninja!
Bonus: +1 Brawl and Melee
Penalty: Max Firearms pf 0

For Ventrue:
Dominatrix
Bonus: +40% Dominate Damage, +100% Dominate duration, +1 Subterfuge
Penalty: Skills cost x4

Dominate = luv. Who needs Obfuscate when you can Trance someone and then casually walk up to them and drink their blood? Easy way to kill someone and/or refill your blood pool. Works perfectly with katana silent kills.