PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2

Scipio
03-05-2004, 15:29
PC Gamer News (http://pcgamer.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=652765/promo_id=10/ut=1855dd856cc8d388) $49 Not bad for such a great X-box game I think. How many people are waiting eagerly for this game? If you press read more at that link I gave it says it will come out Apr 02, 2004 Yay http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-party2.gif

Knight_Yellow
03-05-2004, 15:48
Great on consoles.

utter sh*t on the PC.

Scipio
03-05-2004, 16:05
Really? I was thinking of getting it on Pc what is so bad? Are thier any modders in the Halo community?

The Tuffen
03-05-2004, 16:29
Don't know how good it is on the PC, it was alright on the Xbox, wasn't that much a fan of the single player game but 2 player co-op was so much fun espec with the vehicles. I think i read in PC Gamer that in the PC version they included an option to get a different weapon for the warthog in MP.

Spino
03-05-2004, 16:45
Halo is one of the most overrated shooters I've ever played and one of the worst I've seen in recent years on the PC. Silly, mindless and boooring. From what I could tell Halo's only saving grace is the vehicle action. I was so turned off by Halo that I uninstalled it after only a few hours worth of play and returned it to my friend the following day. I am extremely thankful I did not have to fork over my own money to find out how much it really sucked.

Blech.

Knight_Yellow
03-05-2004, 17:55
Quote[/b] (Scipio @ Mar. 05 2004,15:05)]Really? I was thinking of getting it on Pc what is so bad? Are thier any modders in the Halo community?
No matter how good your comp is you will

Lag in FPS and Ping.

Its the worst conversion i have ever seen.

The MP aspect is also a joke, a guy can kill you with his handgun from the other side of the map while you are sitting in a TANK.

you just need to hit any part of the vehicle and the driver takes damage.

Halo Xbox 90%
Halo PC 35%

Mysterium
03-05-2004, 19:23
HALO on XBox is an absolutely brilliant game. A prefect example of what Microsoft can do when they use their powers for good instead of evil. And I can't wait for HALO 2. And the multiplayer action . . . mmm . . .

The Tuffen
03-05-2004, 19:30
Quote[/b] ]The MP aspect is also a joke, a guy can kill you with his handgun from the other side of the map while you are sitting in a TANK.

That bit is quite stupid, it would be better if the tank had health instead and you had to leave it before it blew up.

Mysterium
03-05-2004, 19:34
That'd be no fun, 'cause then you could lose the tank. More realistic, I know, but I'd rather just have it invincible. On Xbox, you had to hit the player, even if they were in a vehicle. They changed that?

Lehesu
03-05-2004, 23:22
Halo is the most overrated shit I have ever played. The vaunted ai is no better than that found in Half-Life from god knows how many years ago. The multi is merely average, and the emulation to the pc was very crudely done, especially when they fail to implement voice-over chat and do not display ping information on the players list. I have no idea how everybody gave the game good reviews as I think it was downright average. Halo 2 better not be a rehash and better show a tad bit of innovation before I buy it. I still haven't forgiven them for the Library mission; the worst level design disaster, fps style, in a while.

The Tuffen
03-05-2004, 23:31
The game used to be an RTS first. Then after a while it got developed into what it is today. That could explain why it's only an average game.

Mysterium
03-05-2004, 23:45
So, how much of the vehemence is because of the poor conversion, and how much of it is the game itself? Sure, the Library was a tough, slogging sort of mission, but I think it's not bad if just one level is done that way. I played that co-op with my friend from 1:00 am to 5:00 am one morning, and we were wiped out at the end of that. But it was a fun journey.

And saying something the AI is no better than half-life is like saying an Olympic sprinter is no better than that other guy who got a gold medal. Besides, Halo was begun not that long after Half-life, then Microsoft bought it and it was re-designed from the ground up.

And I thought the level design was great. There was a wide range of mission types, and the two different enemies meant it was sometimes an FPS against intelligent enemies, and sometimes a zombie-hunt. I still give it the thumbs up. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Knight_Yellow
03-06-2004, 03:46
Quote[/b] (Mysterium @ Mar. 05 2004,22:45)]So, how much of the vehemence is because of the poor conversion, and how much of it is the game itself? Sure, the Library was a tough, slogging sort of mission, but I think it's not bad if just one level is done that way. I played that co-op with my friend from 1:00 am to 5:00 am one morning, and we were wiped out at the end of that. But it was a fun journey.

And saying something the AI is no better than half-life is like saying an Olympic sprinter is no better than that other guy who got a gold medal. Besides, Halo was begun not that long after Half-life, then Microsoft bought it and it was re-designed from the ground up.

And I thought the level design was great. There was a wide range of mission types, and the two different enemies meant it was sometimes an FPS against intelligent enemies, and sometimes a zombie-hunt. I still give it the thumbs up. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
Halo PC was hyped as *reads the back of his Halo box*

multiplayer

of the 4 selling points on the back of the box 3 are for MP.

Halo PC multiplayer

Pros.
None.

Cons.
Maps are 50-50, ie. the terrain in the red base is the same as the blue base (in every map)

Hand guns have a zoom feature and are more powerful than the rifles.

It takes 60 direct hits to kill another player with an MG.

Hand guns not only have a zoom but are just as accurate as sniper rifles and carry 50X more ammo.

No matter what server you join and what Net connection you have Vehicles will always lag.

Theres only 16 players, (BF1942 has 64)

Both teams are exatcly the same, no different weapons or vehicles

Hit ANY part of ANY vehicle and the driver takes the damage

Stationay guns are useless

If you dont have grenades your useless

the Horrible framerates even on 3GHz Computers.

The community are A**holes (rampant cheating/glitching tking)

No mod support

Very little patches

out of all the maps the only regular ones are Blood gulch and the canyon one.

Its ballanced lazily. Ie. if vehicles are overpowred they just make it so ANY weapon can inflict damage on the driver.

The reason they released it on the Xbox first is because it would have gotten raped in the PC genre.

the only reason it was successful on the Xbox is becuase the controls and the lack of any compettion.

Single player, well for the 1st half of the game you are trying to get to a control room, and for the second half you are going back the exact same way you came, (exact as in the same f*cking levels)

If they had off just spent some time on the game instead of rushing it then it would have been great.

but they didnt take their time, DONT get it, your only going to be wasting £30.

Scipio
03-06-2004, 04:03
WOw didnt no so many people disliked this game I thought it always to be fun playing 2 play co-op

Knight_Yellow
03-06-2004, 04:06
Quote[/b] (Scipio @ Mar. 06 2004,03:03)]WOw didnt no so many people disliked this game I thought it always to be fun playing 2 play co-op
LOL.

the CO-OP was removed for the PC version

*im not joking*

Lehesu
03-06-2004, 04:57
Pretty weak. I am still pining for my lost 40$ on the pc Halo. CS is so much more fun for me, not to mention smoother. By the way, the new UT Onslaught mode just completely owns Halo; better vehicles, better balance, better multiplay, equal ai. How many of you guys have actually killed people with a Ghost's guns on a regular basis? The Manta (UT equivalent) is a whole lot better and more versatile.

The Tuffen
03-06-2004, 17:35
Quote[/b] ]LOL.

the CO-OP was removed for the PC version

*im not joking*

WHAT, The co-op game was the best bit on the X-box.

Quote[/b] ]Hand guns have a zoom feature and are more powerful than the rifles.

It takes 60 direct hits to kill another player with an MG.

Hand guns not only have a zoom but are just as accurate as sniper rifles and carry 50X more ammo

The handguns were a bit too powerfull, i would go though most of the game with the handgun as it was too powerfull.

Mount Suribachi
03-06-2004, 22:05
I really should go and finish my Halo game, I only did the first 2 levels though.

I do agree though, the campaign co-op is sooooo much fun. I did the 1st level with a mate and it was a blast.

Scipio
03-06-2004, 23:55
Yes now that I recall the handgun was terribly strong 2 hits or so in the back of one of the huge mothers would kill them when rounds and rounds of shotgun/assult rifel ammo would do nothng

Matt Deckard
03-07-2004, 00:53
Quote[/b] (Scipio @ Mar. 07 2004,04:55)]Yes now that I recall the handgun was terribly strong 2 hits or so in the back of one of the huge mothers would kill them when rounds and rounds of shotgun/assult rifel ammo would do nothng
That was a trick. If you hit the fleshy orange part on the big guys they go down much quicker, whether it be with a handgun or otherwise.

The Tuffen
03-08-2004, 01:30
Quote[/b] ]That was a trick. If you hit the fleshy orange part on the big guys they go down much quicker, whether it be with a handgun or otherwise.

Yeah i found that out, still prefered to take them out with a rocket launcer instead though.

Scipio
03-08-2004, 01:33
those guys where the only fun enemies any body play the highest difficulty? WOw it was reall fun for co-op cause there were 2 in each room pretty much

The Tuffen
03-08-2004, 02:03
Never played the hardest difficulty (then again don't own the game). Did hear that there was supposed to be a different/longer ending on the hardest level.

I had fun trying to pistol whip all the little enemies.

Scipio
03-08-2004, 02:07
Yeah I can't recall when I beat the game in the hardest but I remember being dissapointed...

The Tuffen
03-08-2004, 02:13
I borrowed it off my mate, and once i completed I couldn't be bothered to go back though it to see the alternate ending.

Fragony
03-08-2004, 09:01
Halo overated? It was absolutely awesome on the xbox. The pc version is horrible, but the game itselve is brilliant. It just has the best battles, no other game makes the shooting part so much FUN. On a xbox it is flawless, gigantic battles and no slowdown. You have to see it all in motion to believe it, and playing it is even better.