PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like Ghost Recon or similar games?

econ21
03-16-2004, 14:42
I mainly like wargames and RPGs, but have meddled a little with Ghost Recon and am wondering whether to try shooters like Call of Duty. However, I am not sure whether I really enjoy them much and I wonder what people here think of these games (SP only)?

With Ghost Recon, the pluses are:
(a) the realism, a biggie for me - I hope I never find out, but it feels real to me - typically one shot, one kill and not seeing the b***** who nails you;
(b) frequent non-linearity and tactical freedom - I like the missions where there is no time constraint and you can approach objectives in any way you like.
© the action can be very tense and exciting - for example, creeping around very close to rather lethal AI soldiers; shooting them is also rather satisfying, I confess
(d) in production values - graphics, sound, polish etc - they are pretty well put together.

The minuses are:
(e) it's pretty hard and as I don't like losing people to an unobserved enemy, I tend to be reloading missions several times. This makes the gameplay a little frustrating.
(f) lack of character or story - unlike, say, RPGs.
(g) occasional very forced missions - eg where you have to run like crazy, killing enemies to protect a friendly tank or rescue some hostages within a time limit. For some reason, this problem seemed worse in the Desert Siege add-on than the original campaign (where maybe 3-4 missions were very frustrating).

I am wondering how other shooters compare to Ghost Recon? I've heard Medal of Honor and Call of Duty are fun and polished, but suspect the core gameplay may be more like conventional shooters such as Doom - lots of crazy running around and shooting, relying on reflexes and hand-eye coordination rather than strategy and reflection, if so they may not be for me. I gather SWAT3 and Operation Flashpoint are closer in genre (tactical shooters to Ghost Recon and maybe better. Also, I've heard good things about Hidden and Dangerous 2.

Anyone got any recommendations? Thanks for any opinions.

jeffreyLebowski
03-16-2004, 15:28
if you like ghost recon, you'll most certainly like any of the rainbow six games. they're fairly similar, but the fighting is usualling close combat in a very SWAT-esque style: flashbangs, simultaneous entry, room breaching, etc. it's fun stuff.

operation flashpoint is very similar to ghost recon. if you like one, you'll most certainly like the others. it plays out slightly different however, as you start the game as just a grunt. as you progress, youll be given more responsibilities such as commanding a squad or tank column. you'll also do plenty of vehicle driving/piloting/riding in this one, as the terrain engine is awesome and the maps are INSANELY huge. i mean that in a good way, not in an annoyingly-too-damn-big type of way.

i'd also recommend splinter cell. it's not necessarily a shooter persay, but its fun in that you need to analyze situations and determine how to use a combination of shadow, stealth, and force to achieve your objectives... and to sweeten the pot, the game's plot is cooler than the last couple tom clancy novels.

i really enjoyed call of duty. now, this comes with a certain amount of bias because while i'm addicted to tactical shooters and wargamers, i'm also addicted to the WW2 setting and enjoy the occasional twitch action game... and that's what call of duty is. if you basically want to feel like youre taking part in an episode of band of brothers or saving private ryan, then by all means pick it up. just don't look for any kind of strategy in that game besides using cover and not running into open areas and expecting to live.

another suggestion for you: an overlooked tactical shooter that i really enjoyed called freedom fighters. despite the somewhat cartoonish look, this game is a really cool balance between tactics and all out action. your teammates are very easy to command and the gunfights that ensue are really fun. you might want to check that out as well. this game also features a damn cool plot with quality voice acting.

Stormer
03-17-2004, 00:36
Call of Duty top notch shot em up

Sir Moody
03-17-2004, 02:06
Quote[/b] ]Call of Duty top notch shot em up

not really in the same vein as Ghost Recon tho :D

Lehesu
03-17-2004, 03:53
R6 Raven Shield and OpFlash are two great games. My R6 experience is somewhat tarnished because of promises broken by the company, but that's another story. Opflash is very fun but somewhat unforgiving. 1-3 shot kills with only one save per mission? Gets frustrating.

ShadesWolf
03-17-2004, 14:13
Greetings Simon Appleton most of my fellow clan mate play Battlefield 1942.

This is an excellent team/ single game and can be great fun.

Might be worth taking a look at.