PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament  2004 Review

Chimpyang
03-19-2004, 20:59
Today i went to the shops and purchased a copy of Epic's latest FPS offering and with high expectations i definately wasn't dissapointed.

Firstly, the game came on a DVD-ROM Now i know there may also be a CD version but the install was pretty painless with all 5.5GB's of it installing in around 5-6 mins. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif .

When I first loaded it up (after a quick re-start) the console had changed since my last version of UT (the original) and looked much more like a conventional Single player game. I dived straight into the Single player mode (for lack of Broadband) and started a game on Average (i wanted to test as many game modes as qucikly as possible).

The load time was about the same for MTW which isnt too bad but the graphics engine blew me away. The excellent engine (running smoothly at 1024*768)gives the game a polish and slickness that is one of the best points in the series.

The single player is not much more than a few pre-designed bot matches in increasing difficulty (not completed yet) but on Instant action all the game modes are playable (Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Double Domination, Bombing Run, CTF,Last man standing anassault as well as 3 new games modes Invasion Mutant and Onslaught ) when i have tested all of these game modes i will report further.

Onslaught
Onslaught is a team game where 2 teams battle it out to destroy each other's Power Cores, to do this they must capture power nodes which are scattered across the map. To be able to capture a node the team must have another node that is directly connected to it. Only when there is a direct link between your Power core and the opponent's power core can the enemy's power core be damaged. To help the teams they are armed with all the basic weaponary (which are picked up at ammo lockers) and a smattering of veircles (i cant spell it) which include a tank, a plane and a hovercraft of sorts.

Even with bots this mode is highly enjoyable with battle that can go on for more than 1/2 hour. The only gripe that i have with this mode is that when one team starts losing it becomes slightly harder to claw their way back to a winning position (especially on ONS Dawn where 1 power node is the center of all attacks)

To be continued.....feel free to add your own comments on this game

Lehesu
03-20-2004, 05:26
Great game and runs well, even on my decrepit 1 Ghz computer, which just barely skins past the min req. One thing for sure however, the feel of original ut is back. Some criticized UT2k3 as having a different pace and feel than the original, and even I noticed, but the new match types really do fit in the same vein as the original.

Dramicus
03-20-2004, 05:52
Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ Mar. 19 2004,23:26)]One thing for sure however, the feel of original ut is back. Some criticized UT2k3 as having a different pace and feel than the original, and even I noticed, but the new match types really do fit in the same vein as the original.
I can second that, when I first booted up 2k3 the first thought which came to my mind was this music sounds like it should be in the super bowl... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

the second was this is quake

2k4 has that unreal feel about it, the same old feeling that I got while playing UT.... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

RisingSun
03-27-2004, 04:55
Report on invasion and mutant, those names intrigue me. :p

Lehesu
03-27-2004, 05:01
Invasion is for up to four players and is played on deathmatch maps. Random critters from the Unreal series teleport in waves and you have to kill them all. If one guy dies, he's dead until the next round, assuming at least one member survives and kills all the baddies to start the next round.

Mutant starts like any regular deathmatch game. However, the first one to get a kill becomes the mutant. He is invisible, has all of the weapons, has agility, has berserk, and lots of ammo. However, his health slowly drops and the only way to replenish it is to kill others. His position is marked on the hud of the other players. The person that kills the mutant becomes the mutant. Everyone else cannot fight eachother and must fight the mutant. An exception to this is the bottom-feeder option; the person with the lowest score in the game is free to attack anybody at anytime to get points; however, he is not super like the mutant. Once the bottom-feeder has jacked up his score to the point in which he is no longer last, he turns into a normal player and the now-last player becomes the bottom-feeder.

Antalis::
03-27-2004, 07:57
Does Unreal T4 has also Maya (a 3D software) as an package in it?

Chimpyang
03-27-2004, 09:53
Yeah..it has Maya PLE (personal learning edition) on it and aslo something which allows the models to be inputted straight into UT i think

Antalis::
03-27-2004, 11:09
Thats great to hear http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif