PDA

View Full Version : Lords of the Realm III is out now

Forward Observer
03-22-2004, 21:36
Edit: When I posted this in the tavern, I did not realize that there was a dedicated new game forum, so sorry if this post sounds like I just fell off the turnip truck. Actually I guess I did.

Just thought I would mention it to those who might be interested in a bit different type of Medieval war-game.

The original Lords of the Realm is usually listed in just about every top 50 or 100 PC games lists of all times. This new version takes the game into full 3D.

This is not a recommendation or anything, since I just got the game, and have barely played through the tutorial and a couple of single battles.

Like MTW, the game has both a strategic level and a tactical battle level. The big difference here is that in LOTR the strategical level is also in real time and not turn based like MTW. Also, while you are at the tactical battle level, the clock is still ticking at the strategical level. This means that if there are multiple battles going on, you may have to let the A.I. handle most, if not all of them.

While this reduction of total control may be more true to life, it still takes some getting used to. At times you are torn between just what to give your attention to.

Also, you really have less control over the make up of your armies or what units will be trained. Your vassals have various traits and characteristics that determine the type of troops they will hire or train once you assign them to a parcel of land. Troop types may also be determined by the province. If in wales--you get Welsh longbowmen. You can pick and hire mercenaries, so you have some control in that aspect. I think all seige equipment crews are mercenary, which may also be more true to life

You can play as the Irish, the English, the French, and the Germans, and the game also has muliplay at both the strategic and tactical levels. There are also about 10 or 12 single player historical battles--Stamford bridge, Agincourt, Crecy, and so on

The graphics are nothing to write home about but they are OK. All of the art and graphics are stylized to look more like a Disney animated feature than a representation of real life.

As usual, at only 30 pages, the manual barely touches on how to play the game. There is a 40 page PDF version the disk, but it is hardly any better. The tutorial mainly concentrates on troop control and tactics during battle, so it is also not of much use when it comes to the overall strategic game play.

The bottom line is that the learning curve on this game seems pretty steep in lieu of adequate documentation. I would have gladly paid $10 more for a decent manual, but then one might have said the same of MTW. Like many I graduated from months of playing Shogun, so MTW just seemed easy for me to pick up, but thinking back Shogun was pretty daunting at first.

Every time I start the first campaign in LTOR 3, which is supposed to be easy, I am totally lost and don't have a clue what to do next. There are little pawns marching all over the strategic map and messages about alliances, wars , and excommunications being displayed constantly. The controls also don't seem very intuitive to me, but then I keep trying to compare them to the Total war system.

I'm going to stick with it, and will report back, but even if I decide it ultimately sucks, at only $20, I'm didn't get burned too bad.

Cheers

P.S. No online gaming site has reviewed this game as of Sunday. It may just be that like me they can't even figure out how to play the damn thing yet--LOL

A.Saturnus
03-23-2004, 00:11
It´s for froggy

ShadesWolf
03-23-2004, 07:08
I believe this comes out in the UK on Friday :26-Mar.

Which happens to be the wifes birthday, isnt she going to be a lucky girl http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif a nice copy of LOTR3

Voigtkampf
03-23-2004, 08:05
Got it last night, but still haven't come around it to install it. Should be fun, small scale Total War.

Komutan
03-23-2004, 14:05
There are serious bugs in siege battles.Units become trapped in ladders, ruins etc.

Kraellin
03-23-2004, 21:38
thanks f.o.

got a link and is there a demo?

K.

Forward Observer
03-24-2004, 01:27
Quote[/b] (Kraellin @ Mar. 23 2004,11:38)]thanks f.o.

got a link and is there a demo?

K.
Here is a link, and there is a forum under the community tab

Lords of the Realm III (http://games.sierra.com/games/lordsIII/)

I am not sure what to make of the the comments on the forum---like with any new game, there are lot's opinions--some good and some bad, and of course the usual trolls screaming this game sucks and so forth.

At one time the site promised a demo in the downloads section, but I see that it has been removed. When I heard that the price was only going to be $20, I suspected things would get cut, and that is probably the reason that plans for a demo got dropped.

So far, my biggest gripe is lack of control over troop selection and training---that and the fact that while I am in the battle screen conducting a battle, my other armies may be getting their butts kicked without my control.

I am used to playing out each tactical battle like in the total war games---in fact that is the most fun part of the game for me. With LOTR you may have multiple battle going on at once, so you just have to trust your A.I. generals to do their job because you just can't be involved in them all.

I have been so frustrated just trying to get a handle on how to play the game that I have set it aside for a few days, and plan on coming back to it when I get in the mood again.

Cheers

spmetla
03-24-2004, 03:39
Is it worth buying though? Or should I stick to MTW? How does it hold up to Lords of the Realm II?

Forward Observer
03-24-2004, 04:55
Quote[/b] (spmetla @ Mar. 23 2004,17:39)]Is it worth buying though? Or should I stick to MTW? How does it hold up to Lords of the Realm II?
Unfortunately, I never played any of the earlier Lords games, but many who post at the forum for the game site have. Mostly they just say that it is a completely different game, and that you can't compare the two.

Actually, I sort of feel like there may be a decent game lurking on that $20 disk, if one is just willing to spend the time learning it.

I keep seeing posts by people who like me were frustrated at first, and were ready to chunk the game in the trash, but then later they admit that once they spent some time with it they began to get addicted.

For this game I would actually buy a strategy guide if one were made available, but I don't see that happening.

Of course it is no MTW, but one thing it has that MTW does not, is the ability to play both the strategic level and the battle level in on-line multiplay.

Being only interested in single play this doesn't help me much, but I'm sure it will attract those who like to play against a live opponents. (that is if one can find someone else who knows how to play the thing correctly)

Sorry, if I am not much help, but I am just still on the fence about this game.

Cheers

Kraellin
03-27-2004, 20:47
thanks f.o. :)

K.

ShadesWolf
03-27-2004, 23:02
Purchased the game today... But havent installed it yet.

Ive been playing BF:Vietnam on my new super computer and its awesome.

Also I couldnt believe the differnce in MTW:VI either, the graphics look so nice now, Im very impressed, I cant believe its the same game http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif