PDA

View Full Version : Gladius

Fragony
03-25-2004, 18:49
Picked this one up tuesday, and it is well worth the 25 euro. It is a turnbased strategy/rpg hybrid, with possibly the coolest premise ever. You are trying to become the best gladiatorschool in europe, and there is plenty of human recource to recruit and tons of weapons. The world plays a bit like final fantasy, you go from A to B and sometimes you get a random encounter. But when you enter a town the fun starts, your goal is to win the towns tournament. But first you have to get the crowd to like you (if you aren't popular you won't be able to participate in the major lagues), and every town likes different stuff. Attacking someone in the back does best damage, but the crowd thinks it is cheap, lowering your reputation. When the crowd goes wild you get a bonus to your stats. What I really like in this game is that giving critical hits actually takes skill, when you attack a 'strength' meter fills up, when you release it on the right time you score a critical. Very cool. With the ability to make combo's, you can score 3 criticals in a row(hard as hell). So far it does not feel unbalanced. The only thing I feel is lacking is the ability to finish my enemies, but we have to take into consideration that this is a gamecube title. Anyone else playing this interesting game?

RisingSun
03-26-2004, 02:52
Hey, being a GC title has nothing to do with it Haven't you played REmake?

I played a demo of this (it only had the battle part) and I couldn't quite figure it out. Kept trying to get people to shoot, etc. Interface is kind of clumsy to me. Of course, not knowing the controls could be the source of that. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Lehesu
03-26-2004, 03:52
I have x-box version and am addicted. It is the only console game I have played for the past two months. It is the most frikken amazing rpg I have ever played since Diablo 2. Just got to the Southern Expanse; going to finally get a Dervish

Fragony
03-26-2004, 14:49
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ Mar. 25 2004,19:52)]Hey, being a GC title has nothing to do with it Haven't you played REmake?

I played a demo of this (it only had the battle part) and I couldn't quite figure it out. Kept trying to get people to shoot, etc. Interface is kind of clumsy to me. Of course, not knowing the controls could be the source of that. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif
Yup, I got that one. But a survival horror is another type of game I guess. An rpg where you can finish your helpless oponents may be a bit too much(playing a role after all). Gamecube still is the family console, although it does has some more mature titles (anyone played eternal darkness?)