PDA

View Full Version : Lords of the Realm 3 update.

Forward Observer
03-27-2004, 20:06
I had said previously that I was on the fence about this game--well, I'm off the fence now. After 3 or 4 days and many hours of trying to play this odd piece of gaming code, I give up. I really dislike this game.

There really is no ability to control or effectively manage your resources. All you can do is assign vassals from a randomly generated pool to parcels of land . From that point on, everything that comes out of that parcel beyond your control and is handled by the A.I.

You have 4 types of vassals--knights, burghers, Serfs, and Clergy. Of these the only ones that can produce troops to make up a field army are the knights. You get one or two units of random troops and that is it.

Burghers, when assigned to a parcel, establish cities, which produce your income, and occasionally the random troop of mercenaries.

Serfs produce your food, and Clergy add Christianity and valor.

Once you make these assignments, that's it. The A.I. takes over and decides what your kingdom gets in food, taxes, and troops.

The only way to build more armies is to conquer next kingdom. Each kingdom, just like yours, is made up of 4 to 6 parcels of land. You have to eliminate all armies within a kingdom to control it and start assigning vassals.

You can win battle after battle, but if there is one parcel that in not in your control, your losses are all just wasted.

The big problem here is that although you are whipping the armies of that particular kingdom, the adjoining kingdoms are also sneaking armies over the borders, making it near impossible to control all of the parcels at once.

Management of your armies is like trying to herd a bunch of cats. Just when you think you have handle on things, one of your inferior armies goes off on it's own and attacks an army twice it's size.

The battles are almost devoid of any ability to use real tactics. The maps are dinky, and it appears that the topography of the land is just for looks. What I mean by this is that there is no advantage to holding high ground or using forests as an advantage against cavalry.

There are no sieges--only castle assaults, and they are really lame. If you have no siege engines, your troops can scale the walls. The only problem is that now you almost lose control of them while they bunch up on the parapets, and get slaughtered by archers on other walls.

If the stronghold is a wooden fort, you simply set a small troop of archers up to burn it down with flaming arrows.

Early on there seems to be no way do determine what kind of army you are up against, unless you go to the battle screen and compare army sizes. If outnumbered you do have the ability to withdraw. Otherwise, the battle is pretty much a numbers game from then on.

In fact you are better off going back to the strategic map since if you try to manage or enjoy the battle, you run the risk of having your other armies attacked and wiped out since the strategic clock is always on.

While the idea of having both the strategic and the tactical level of a conquest game done in real time is an interesting concept, the developers of LOTR 3 failed miserably to implement it into an enjoyable gaming experience.

I can only describe this game as an odd mix of the absolute worst aspects both MTW and Stronghold.

The bottom line for me is that the single player aspect of this game is just not fun, and I cannot recommend it.

I cannot speak to multiplayer, so if you are so inclined, your results may vary.

Cheers

P.S There is finally an on-line review out at Gamespot. I was flabergasted to see that the reviewer actually gave the game an 84%. That's only 4% less than they gave MTW.

He could not have played the same game that I did and given it that good a score. He even bragged about how the organ music was so appropriate for the game.

Actually, the organ music is kind of irritating after a while, but I mean come on--give me a break, pipe organs did not start to make their appearance until very late 16th or early 17th century.

Oh well, maybe it's just proof that one man's trash is another's treasure.

Forward Observer
03-28-2004, 03:14
OK, just an update.

There are now two reviews at GameRankings.com.

The first one I mentioned at Gamespot and now a new one at To the Game.

The second review gave the game a 60% and I seriously think that is going to be the norm.

Anyway, here is the link, so you can read both reviews for yourself.

Game Rankings (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/537419.asp)

Cheers

spmetla
03-28-2004, 06:48
Your review is what I feared the game to be. Thanks for the update, I'll be sure to not buy this game. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bighairyman
03-29-2004, 01:27
Yeah i also got VERY confused after reading the box and some of the guide? Why can't they make it like LOTR 2. with better graphics of course. the vassal thing gets me really confused. anyone wanna tell me about it? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

Nelson
03-29-2004, 17:38
Quote[/b] (bighairyman @ Mar. 28 2004,19:27)]Why can't they make it like LOTR 2. with better graphics of course.
That's all they had to do. Upgrade LOTR II graphics.

But NO They chose instead to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Maybe they wanted an MP game and the SP was an afterthought. If so I wish them luck. I myself am not interested.

econ21
03-31-2004, 15:38
I started to read the Gamespot review and then stopped when it said there was no pause button. I shook my head when I saw the good % rating, but then I guess many folk do like those frenetic and ahistorical conventional RTS games.

Nigel
03-31-2004, 20:36
I have always been a reat fan of LOTR 2 and have been watching the development of the sequel with interst. However, that interest somewhat reduced, when they announced that they would make it all RTS. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

The clever combination of turn based strategy and real time battles was what gave this series such value (in my eyes, anyway). If I go by what Foreward Observer is describing, I would probably autoresolve all battles in this game, just to keep some sort of control. And that would be a shame, for essentially it means using only half of the games features.

I understand if the developers say the series needs to evolve and not just be new grafics for an old game. But I fear they are taking the evolution in the wrong direction.

Now, it may well be that with practice you will learn how to manage your Realm in RT and when you finally do, the game will play out nicely. But for me at the moment it is wait-and-see until more reviews come out http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-glasses2.gif. I wont be in a rush to by this game.

Durruti
04-06-2004, 13:28
LOTR3 had potential, but it was cut off at the knees. The previous reviews tell all. I wrote a review at PC Game Reviews. LOTR3 is all but unplayable. Sad as we wanted an updated LOTR2. Got my $ back; it pays to kiss up to the guys-girls at EBX. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif

The Scourge
04-11-2004, 16:16
I've been playing this game for a couple of days now.I have to say ,after the first half an hour ,I was almost ready to uninstall the thing.
But ,after getting used to the pace of the game ,and generally getting a feel for how it all works ,I've actually started to enjoy it.
There's a lot that could be improved ,and the battles are not in the same league as MTW ,but there are some great ideas ,and a fair amount of strategical thinking is necessary in order to win a game.
If anyone here does decide to give it another go ,then my advice would be to forget about all other strategy games you've played ,don't try and manage every thing at once.Try and get one good army together for all that expansion ,leave a couple of squads for border defense ,and keep an eye on that mini-map.
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

Lechev
04-21-2004, 01:52
Now guys i know this may be cheap and cheesy but..... I usually get a pirated copy of a game before getting the original game.

At least i can save some money from getting those unworthy game

*prepares to duck from the stones thrown by angry mobs*

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-curtain.gif

btw, this is how i normally avoid getting bad game
1)readup on reviews of a particular game
2)get a pirated copy if available
3)play for a few hours--> might tkaes sometime as these copies dun come with a manual
4)If get Hook to that game will get to the nearest shop for the original. But usually may need to wait for a week or two. It always fancinates me that the pirated copies are released much earlier than the original. What gives?

RisingSun
04-21-2004, 02:02
Here come the stones. *stones fly by*

He is a blasphemer He said the word 'pirated' on the .Org Stone him
Now now, nobody's getting stoned until I say so.
Okay. *stone flies past*
Alright, who threw that?
*finish and repeat Monty Python sketch ad infinitum*

Lechev
04-21-2004, 15:12
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ April 21 2004,09:02)]Here come the stones. *stones fly by*

He is a blasphemer He said the word 'pirated' on the .Org Stone him
Now now, nobody's getting stoned until I say so.
Okay. *stone flies past*
Alright, who threw that?
*finish and repeat Monty Python sketch ad infinitum*
Nice...... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif