PDA

View Full Version : Painkiller demo

Fragony
04-02-2004, 17:23
Anyone tried this one? It really reminds me of quake somehow. It has very fun and sadistic^^ weapons, it is VERY atmospheric(strangely disturbing) and not so great combat, but we can't have it all can we? Recommended http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Kongamato
04-02-2004, 22:37
Thought I was the only one here It's got great action and superior ragdoll physics that add nice variety. You need to get used to it at the start. I bet that it reminds you of Quake because of the Zombies' method of attacking. I think the combat is fine and will be better in the full release. The combat focuses on withstanding wave after wave like Serious Sam, but in spite of this it really could use some team AI. If the enemies only knew how to surround you, the combat would be far more challenging.

I like how you can get the Black Tarot cards for completing the levels under certain circumstances. The Black Tarot is a setup of 12 gold cards and 12 silver cards. Using gold that you collect in the levels by destroying boxes, barrels, and juggling enemies. You can cast up to two silver cards, which act like SS2's OS upgrades. These will last you the whole level. You can also cast a combo of up to 3 gold cards, which have very potent effects that last you for a short time.

However, the best part is when you collect 50 dead souls. Once you get 50, you will go into something like a cross between Max Payne's bullet-time, Doom's Berserker pack, and the One Ring. The level turns a blurry black-and-white and the enemies can be seen in reddish-orange. For a weapon you use a vicious shockwave-type attack that wreaks havoc upon everything in its way. The power is great, if not a tad bit moot. If you want to control when you use the power, you'll have to avoid collecting souls, which could have an adverse effect on your hit points, as they heal you as well.

It's well worth a try.

RisingSun
04-04-2004, 07:08
How is healing you having an adverse effect upon your hitpoints? Or did you mean something else?

Kongamato
04-04-2004, 08:47
Collecting one normal soul gives you +1 HP. Getting 50 souls gains you the incredible power for a short time. Health packs are few and far between, so if you want to time when you reach the next 50-soul mark, you'll have to collect less souls, meaning you'll replenish your HP less.