PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Strategy Games

RZST
04-12-2004, 05:15
well im watching BoB again, and it got me all excited on WW2 action.

i was wondering if anyone knew any good strategy games like Hearts of Iron, where one commands armies instead of units.

solypsist
04-12-2004, 07:22
There's always Microsoft's Close Combat series. I used to play it on my laptop while waiting in airports and stuff back in the day. It's a turn-based game.

Kongamato
04-12-2004, 07:29
Combat Mission, perhaps?

spmetla
04-12-2004, 23:07
Blitzkrieg
Panzer General II (old hex based game)

Divine Wind
04-13-2004, 01:01
Quote[/b] (Kongamato @ April 12 2004,07:29)]Combat Mission, perhaps?
Yes These titles are fantastic and you must give them a look. Download the demos and see if its to your liking.

You can find the homepage here Battlefront (http://www.battlefront.com)

It has a very mature and friendly community much like Shoggie and Medieval who are very willing to help new guys so dont be afraid to ask questions about the game.

Its a pretty hardcore strategy game though. Completely relies on realism as its selling point, so no cheesey tactics or fantasy units here. But if you like this sort of thing then you will love this game. Ive played it for over two years now and i never get tired of it as there are so many mods and scenario editors out there.

Good luck http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

RZST
04-13-2004, 01:15
thx all, ill check em out. i tried blitzkrieg long time ago but the lack of a campaign map kinda ruined it for me.

Divine Wind, fantasy units? whos asking that? im specifically looking for a game during ww2 era, how the hell can there be fantasy units involved?. i even gave an example. argh.

Copperhead
04-13-2004, 01:16
Gotta be the Close Combat series, or Sudden Strike. Both are excellent.

Divine Wind
04-13-2004, 02:37
Quote[/b] (Ky Kiske @ April 13 2004,01:15)]thx all, ill check em out. i tried blitzkrieg long time ago but the lack of a campaign map kinda ruined it for me.

Divine Wind, fantasy units? whos asking that? im specifically looking for a game during ww2 era, how the hell can there be fantasy units involved?. i even gave an example. argh.
Sorry ive never played Hearts of Iron so im not to sure what type of game it is.

I didnt mean fantasy unit persay. I meant for example all the units in this game are exactly how they were in WW2 and not how game companies hollywood up units to become things they are not. Like everyone thinking the tiger tank is invincable...well just give me a game at Combat Mission and ill show you a thing or too http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

RZST
04-13-2004, 04:03
misunderstanding then :)

anyways, check out hearts of iron. its a world conquest type game where instead of units you command armies. the best thing? you can play ANY COUNTRY...well almost any, atleast any country on the game and by god its hard.

edit: i tried Strat Com Europe Command and for some reason it wont run :(

Chimpyang
04-14-2004, 19:35
I reccomend Close Combat(Microsoft and Activision), it's relatively realisitic but the strategy map is quite limited compared to TW games

ElmarkOFear
04-14-2004, 20:08
Hey Divine WInd. I have all 3 combat mission games and have enjoyed each one. I have played since the first game came out and you right: The battlefront.com forums are very mature and MadMatt, JasonC and the other old timers are more than willing to help out a new player. I am currently playing 6 PBEM games of CMBB Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin and having a blast. :) If you are up for a game, let me know and I will post my email addy here for you to send a game too.

Sjakihata
04-14-2004, 20:13
I believe HoI is much like Victoria and EU2.

Divine Wind
04-14-2004, 22:45
Quote[/b] (ElmarkOFear @ April 14 2004,20:08)]Hey Divine WInd. I have all 3 combat mission games and have enjoyed each one. I have played since the first game came out and you right: The battlefront.com forums are very mature and MadMatt, JasonC and the other old timers are more than willing to help out a new player. I am currently playing 6 PBEM games of CMBB Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin and having a blast. :) If you are up for a game, let me know and I will post my email addy here for you to send a game too.
Nice too see a fellow Combat Mission fan http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Id be honoured to give you a game Just pm me and we can sort the details.

Shahed
04-15-2004, 00:03
Does anyone know the name of the new game by the creators of Operation Flashpoint ? It's also a WW2 RTS.

Thanks for your help.

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-15-2004, 00:14
I'd be up for a Combat Mission PBEM if anyone wants one. I should probably warn you that I'm awful, however...