PDA

View Full Version : Medieval FRP

benF86
04-17-2004, 21:46
I mean First/3rd Person Shooters based in medieval era. Something like Operation flashpoint just back in middle ages. Something like thief but with LAAARGE battles?
I've been looking 4ever but can't find a thing. The closest I get is Jean d'arc or whatever it's spelled and it sux :P

If the thread was before, feel free to delete it.

All comments welcome

Leet Eriksson
04-17-2004, 23:41
well on PC i honestly don't know,but if you got a PS2 you should try Dynasty Warriors series,its based on a chinese novel set in the age of chivalry in china,although it ain't medieval(it starts in 190's AD and ends somewhere in the 220's AD)its pretty close http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

nightcrawlerblue
04-17-2004, 23:52
Quote[/b] (Acheron @ April 17 2004,15:46)]I mean First/3rd Person Shooters based in medieval era. Something like Operation flashpoint just back in middle ages. Something like thief but with LAAARGE battles?
I've been looking 4ever but can't find a thing. The closest I get is Jean d'arc or whatever it's spelled and it sux :P

If the thread was before, feel free to delete it.

All comments welcome
Joan of Arc is the only one I can think of. And I agree... It stunk

RisingSun
04-18-2004, 00:15
The reason not many are made is because of the sheer difficulty in replicating real hand-to-hand conditions. In real life, you can do anything, kick, punch, pummel, slash, stab, etc. In real life shooting you pull the trigger or perhaps pistol whip someone. To encompass the diversity in h2h combat is practically impossible.

Another thing is the sheer computing power you would need to handle medieval battles from a first person viewpoint where everything is expected to be detailed, etc.

It just isn't feasible.

RZST
04-18-2004, 01:25
It just isn't feasible.
-yet :)

we need one of those cray supercomputer or something

Leet Eriksson
04-18-2004, 02:44
oh wait,there is a game called knights of the temple,it is'nt FPS,but it you can go FPS when using a bow,it tells the tale of a knight templar and his journey to the holy land,although his true objective is to rescue a dame from an evil bishops hands.

aside from your human adversaries the game takes some liberties and you battle some demons and other mythical creatures.its kind a cool game...

EDIT:typo..

Efrem Da King
04-18-2004, 08:05
Siege modification of Battlefield 1942.

Mount Suribachi
04-18-2004, 10:31
Thief?

benF86
04-18-2004, 11:05
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ April 17 2004,18:15)]The reason not many are made is because of the sheer difficulty in replicating real hand-to-hand conditions. In real life, you can do anything, kick, punch, pummel, slash, stab, etc. In real life shooting you pull the trigger or perhaps pistol whip someone. To encompass the diversity in h2h combat is practically impossible.

Another thing is the sheer computing power you would need to handle medieval battles from a first person viewpoint where everything is expected to be detailed, etc.

It just isn't feasible.
that's troo, but Jedi Knight 2 or 3 for example had pretty good fighting with swords/sabers. With some overworking and adding it could be a solid base I guess.

Been having a thought there. There's already a company selling some mice that are to be used with 2d/3d modelling progs, CAD progs etc. It's like one mouse in each hand. With this it would be quite easier to reproduce a left and right hand. For walking, ducking and running you need 3 keys.

Now for example you'd use ONLY mice. Right for sword and left for shield. If you held down left mouse button and moved the mouse in a certain direction it'd produce a slash, right mouse button and it'd be a block, middle mouse a stab etc. For shield it'd be like left mouse button (on left mouse) + mouse movement would move shield, while right mouse button would bash with the shield in a direction.

I've seen a similar system done in a veeeryy old game. Only there was only the sword. As you moved the mouse the sword moved. Wasn't made very good but it was 1995 or so :P

As for kicking, I don't really think knights in that armor kicked a lot, and archers didn't get in close combat a lot too.

I'm no programmer, but I still think it wouldn't need a supercomputer to run. I mean if a normal PC can run Planetside quite good, which has gigantic fields and such, I'm sure it could run something like that

*edit* doesn't need to be fps. Can be 3rd person too. Or like Jedi Knight where it's third person for saber and first for shooting weapons

chunkynut
04-19-2004, 16:19
Acheron i think the 95 game is Die by the Sword and you could have dual arm movement in that and you didn't have to use a mouse if you didn't want to.

RisingSun
04-19-2004, 23:36
If you are using two mice to control your arm movements... How do you propose you walk? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

benF86
04-20-2004, 11:47
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ April 19 2004,17:36)]If you are using two mice to control your arm movements... How do you propose you walk? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif
you know, mice nowadays have an awful lot of buttons. Since you can easily control 3 buttons at once with each hand, you can have walk forward on 3rd but one mouse and walk backwards on another. I strongly doubt that knights ran a lot in that armor, so we can skip the sprint/jump button, also they probably didn't crouch a lot so that goes off too.

As for archers, since they wouldn't need one hand to control the shield, they could use the other mouse for running, jumping, crouching etc.

squippy
04-20-2004, 11:58
Thief III is out soon, sort of a Dark Ages Splinter Cell. It was amnong the first of the sneaker titles.

There's a permanently WIP mod for HL called Shogun that might see the light of day with HL2, perhaps.

Apart from that, as abovbe, its appalling difficult - not I think becuase body movement is hard, but becuase the number of controls you'd need would be near impossible. The best method to date is Soul Calibur-type console controls.

benF86
04-20-2004, 13:29
Quote[/b] (squippy @ April 20 2004,05:58)]Thief III is out soon, sort of a Dark Ages Splinter Cell. It was amnong the first of the sneaker titles.

There's a permanently WIP mod for HL called Shogun that might see the light of day with HL2, perhaps.

Apart from that, as abovbe, its appalling difficult - not I think becuase body movement is hard, but becuase the number of controls you'd need would be near impossible. The best method to date is Soul Calibur-type console controls.
I liked thief 1, 2 wasn't as good tho IMO.

The number of controls would be just fine, we'd just have to get virtual reality gloves, helmet and boots :P And a large enuff room to not bang into walls

RisingSun
04-21-2004, 01:51
The need for controls is what I was getting at. There are too many possibilities to make it realistic. Even if they put in a ton of stuff, you'd have people whining, Why can't I *insert obscure move just for shock value here*? I'm sure real life men at arms did it Hwo could you not? Whaa Whaaa

benF86
04-21-2004, 20:54
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ April 20 2004,19:51)]The need for controls is what I was getting at. There are too many possibilities to make it realistic. Even if they put in a ton of stuff, you'd have people whining, Why can't I *insert obscure move just for shock value here*? I'm sure real life men at arms did it Hwo could you not? Whaa Whaaa
I'm aware that there are limits of what can be made, but IMO the limits of mouse+keyboard or mouse+mouse haven't been reached yet.

And people will be whining no matter what you do. Like this ball http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/handball.gif you do it good, they want it better. You do it better, they say it's not the best ;) That's called progress. It comes right back @ y00 if you don't slap it hard enuff

RisingSun
04-22-2004, 01:08
But honestly, who owns two mice? And that might require some wicked hand-eye coordination...

benF86
04-22-2004, 20:23
that about two mice is yet to be realised, I agree there, but about the coordination...

think back to the old days where FPS were played with keyboard only. Don't you think getting used to mouse+keyboard was equally hard back then, as it would be in this situation? And nowadays any idiot can use a mouse+keyboard more or less efficently

RisingSun
04-23-2004, 00:11
Not really, there are only a few keys you have to push on the keyboard hand. Try using two mice at the same time, with full ranges of motion, and clicking, etc. It is hard.

benF86
04-23-2004, 12:47
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ April 22 2004,18:11)]Not really, there are only a few keys you have to push on the keyboard hand. Try using two mice at the same time, with full ranges of motion, and clicking, etc. It is hard.
so was learning to use one mouse first. I can remember people who first move the mouse, moved a bit, moved the mouse again, moved again etc.

And the harder the game is, the better is it when you get the hang of it IMO

barvaz
04-28-2004, 12:28
Die by the Sword that was mentioned is something that can be reffered to as FPS with swords. The more recent Enclave was another attempt at this genere. Both were pretty annoying experience - the monotonous linear gameplay typical to FPS in a poorly designed and implemented engine (though the graphics itself in Enclave was not bad).

I wanted to try Joan of Arc but from what I read it is nothing to be proud of either.

- barvaz

benF86
04-28-2004, 12:46
Quote[/b] (barvaz @ April 28 2004,06:28)]Die by the Sword that was mentioned is something that can be reffered to as FPS with swords. The more recent Enclave was another attempt at this genere. Both were pretty annoying experience - the monotonous linear gameplay typical to FPS in a poorly designed and implemented engine (though the graphics itself in Enclave was not bad).

I wanted to try Joan of Arc but from what I read it is nothing to be proud of either.

- barvaz
JoA is something like Gothic but you can only move on a certain road, and when you're on a horse you can single handed defeat whole encampments without even needing medipacks or so (tested personally). It's also fuller with bugs than Hidden and dangerous 1 :P I actually managed to fly over whole maps.

dessa14
05-02-2004, 12:42
Thief is the best i can think of.
thanks, dessa