PDA

View Full Version : Fall of Rome - Total War

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

maximus decimus meridius
04-18-2004, 15:24
Hi all.

I've decided to begin this discussion to give people the possibility of make discussions, analisys, and to report bugs of Fall of Rome MTW mod.

Current version of the mod is 2.0, now i've upload, in the upload section, the 2.1 version ... why 2.1 version and not 3.0? Because the changes made aren't very extensive, there aren't graphic changes for instance, but only some changes in the scripts of the game.

The 3.0 version will contain some new graphic features.

What are the main features of this version?

1. Some bugs resolved, some people report me that the game was rather unstable, this version should be more stable than the previous (i hope so ).
2. Sahara now is not playable.
3. There are two small new techtree for German Kingdoms/Catholic and Nomad tribes/Pagan. Basically in MTW the techtree is based on 4 main tech level, these two techtree are developed in the first.
4. The two old campaign (430ad and Justinian era) have been revised, the game now should be more historically accurate, besides playing with the Romans is more difficult.
5. There is a new campaign starting in 374ad, before the collapsing of the Western Empire.
6. There are two new factions, the Romano-British (England) and the Bosphoran Kingdom (Crimea), that should be more funny to play instead of the Slavs and Russians.
6. There are some new units in addition to the older ones:

Sassanian infantry
Sarmatian infantry
Bosphoran spearmen
Bosphoran-Scythian Royal Cavalry
Romano-British Royal knights
7. G.A. are not available.

Besides thanks to Hross af Guttenburg the game now has the correct faction descriptions, the game introduction, and most of the country names.
Thankyou very much Hross

Install instructions for FALL OF ROME 2.1

1. Install Fall of Rome 2.0 in a fresh fresh installation of MTW - Viking Invasion (patch 2.0)

2. In your installed F.o.R. 2.0 delete the:

\campmap\startpos\Early430Orthodox.txt
\campmap\startpos\EarlyJustinian527b2.txt files

3. Copy the following files in your: \campmap\startpos\ folder:

Early374Orthodox.txt
Early430Orthodox3.txt
EarlyJustinian527b2.txt

4. Copy the following files in your: Medieval Total War\Loc\your language folder:

changes.txt
default_faction_specific.txt
default_region_specific.txt
Descriptions.txt
names.txt
starpos.txt
variables.txt

5. Copy the following files in your main MTW folder:

CRUSADER_UNIT_PROD11.txt
Crusader_build_prod13.txt
Projectilestats.txt

Cheers Max

The new 374ad campaign

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/FALLOFROME2.1_374AD.JPG

-----------------------edit by drone----------------------------------
Updated links for now...
FallofRome_v3.1_Pericles.zip (http://www.gamefront.com/files/20424511/FallofRome_v3.1_Pericles.zip)
FoR_3.1.exe (http://www.gamefront.com/files/20424559/FoR_3.1.exe)
Fall_of_Rome_3.0-3.1-_Total_War.zip (http://www.gamefront.com/files/20424578/Fall_of_Rome_3.0-3.1-_Total_War.zip)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Blind King of Bohemia
04-18-2004, 15:47
Looks very nice, when can it be availiable for download?

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
04-18-2004, 20:57
I will try this one for sure.

CZoF http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

maximus decimus meridius
04-18-2004, 23:45
BKB.

it is already available for download, in the full version direct downloads area of the .org.

please before installing Fall of Rome 2.1, install 2.0 version.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

SicilianVespers
04-19-2004, 03:42
Excellent work MDM http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

I have some office titles for you. You can have mupltiple titles associated to the same building, so you can use Dux for most of the provincial titles.

Western Romans:

AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN royal_palace Praefectus Praetorio Italiae +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN royal_palace Praefectus Praetorio Galliarum +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Italiae +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Africae +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Britaniarum +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN marshals_palace Magister Peditum Praesentalis +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN marshals_palace Magister Equitum Praesentalis +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN marshals_palace Magister Equitum per Gallias +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN chancellery Comes Sacrarum Largitionum +3 1 0 1 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN admiralty Praefectus Classis Ravennas +1 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN cathedral Patriarch of Aquileia 0 2 0 0 3 0 0

Eastern Romans:

AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE royal_palace Praefectus Praetorio Orientis +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE royal_palace Praefectus Praetorio Illyrici +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Aegypti +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Isauriae +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE marshals_palace Magister Militum per Orientem +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE marshals_palace Magister Militum per Thracias +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE marshals_palace Magister Militum per Illyricum +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE chancellery Comes Sacrarum Largitionum +3 1 0 1 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE admiralty Praefectus Classis Augusta Alexandrina +1 0 0 2 0 0 0
AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE cathedral Patriarch of Constantinople 0 2 0 0 3 0 0

These would be in use prior to the institution of the Themes. (Up to Maurikian Byzantines)

I have two campaigns going right now. In the first (527), Belisarius just took the Exarchate of Africa from the Vandals. In the second (374), the Franks attacked Belgica II on the first turn My Limitanei had a tough time holding them back, but they were successful for now.

The realistic provincial names are a great touch. You should think about changing the names on the Strategic map.

I have to admit, I do miss the old info pics, so I copied them in from the old version.

The half barding is also an excellent addition as well.

I can't wait to try the Lombard Gasindii and Farae

Thanks again http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

maximus decimus meridius
04-19-2004, 11:50
Hi Sicilian Vespers.

Thanks for the Office titles, i think that maybe i'll put them in Fall of Rome 3.0 campaign. About the names of the Provinces i think that A_B is working on a modified strategic map, it is a really great work

Sorry but i couldn't put the old info_pics in this version cause copyright, but i made new info_pics for my personal use, so you can make same thing i think.

max

SicilianVespers
04-19-2004, 13:05
Will the new map be in version 3.0?

I have already started making new info_pics, in addition to the originals.

The Romano-British are also a good addition. I will have to try them out soon.

maximus decimus meridius
04-19-2004, 13:32
yes i think so, also there will be new animated .bif for Roman infantry, i've alredy made the new Auxilia palatina (i'll upload an image asap ..)and the Lanciarii.

Besides i think that there will be a new .bif for Roman heavy infantry (Legions) with new units ( the Domestici and the Praetorians), a new campaign starting in 310ad with Constantine the Great and Maxentius factions.

.. and maybe some economical changes ...

max

SicilianVespers
04-19-2004, 15:12
Sounds excellent, I am looking forward to version 3

You probably know this already, but since you are making new animated bifs, I thought I would make a suggestion.

From the 4th century on the Romans should be wearing scale and chain mail armor.

The old Lorica Segmentata went out of use before 300 AD, if I am not mistaken.

Do you have the shield for the Herculiani in the game? it would also make a good addition.

maximus decimus meridius
04-19-2004, 17:16
Yes i know the lorica segmentata was used until the 3rd century, so the new heavy infantry will have mail armour (i'm making some tests...).

I don't know if there will be the Herculiani shield in the game, but actually i have made the Ioviani, the Brachati, the Secunda Britannica, the Lanciarii Sabarienses, the Domestici, the Celtae seniores and the Cornacenses shields (puff..).

I'll upload tomorrow a .jpg file of the new Auxilia Palatina.

cheers

max

A_B
04-19-2004, 20:30
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 19 2004,05:50)]About the names of the Provinces i think that A_B is working on a modified strategic map, it is a really great work
I gotta finish the map up, although it is 75% done.

I got distracted with BKB's mod, so blame him...

By the way, it is a good thing to have extra factions in (as BKB did). They make the game harder than just having Rebels, because if you eliminate a faction, they Respawn with a lot of units, which is a better representation of a large rebellion/invasion. They also make provinces harder to capture, because they end up with a ton of quality Royal units. If you decide not to invade because of all the royal units, then they'll attack you as soon as your defences are down. All in all, much better than rebel areas, even if the factions arene't really meant to be played.

Some great areas for non-playable factions would be to the South of Egypt, and South of Morroco (africa on the current campaign map). This way, you can trade, or invade, but the price will be heavy.

maximus decimus meridius
04-19-2004, 22:37
A_B.

Great news 75% of the strat map finished. ALL the campaigns should be rewritten, it will be a long work i think ...

anyway these are the new auxilia palatina with the Cornuti Seniores regiment shield...

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_NEWAUXILIA.JPG

max

Braccius Augustus
04-20-2004, 05:14
seems to be a problem with the mod download:
according to the readme I am missing these files
Fall_of_Rome20_Infopics_reviewpanel
Fall_of_Rome20PortraitsPaganPrincess2
when i select certain units in the game i get an error saying there are no unit icons in mtw/campmap/reviewpanel/units
Maybe the download messed up or something. I'll try it again, but just wanted to let you know.

04-20-2004, 11:22
Downloaded it, love it, really fun. I was so happy when i battered the Bulgars as the Western Empire, who have been rampaging through italy bent on mercilous destruction http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

SicilianVespers
04-20-2004, 12:56
Max,
Sorry if I insulted you with the Lorica comment, it was not my intention.

The Auxilia Palatina look excellent I was hoping you would use that shield.

A_B,
The Picts would also be a good minor faction to add. They would keep Ambrosius Aurelianus and Artorius busy in Brittania.

maximus decimus meridius
04-20-2004, 13:24
Braccius Augustus.

What are the units that cause problems? Have you tried to download the single Fall of Rome .zip file from the Org? In this file there are all the Infopics and rewiev panel files.

BKB.

thanks, i am happy to see that the mod is funny have you any suggestions for Fall of Rome 3.0?

Sicilian Vespers.

Oh my god no problem for me really.
The Picts could be another funny faction, besides i will upload an Auxilia Palatina image with the Celtae Seniores regiment shield, so you will be able to choose the definitive unit between the two ones.

Ok mates?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

max

04-20-2004, 13:42
I'd give the Arabs a few more units in Justinian period to make a real bitch for the Byzantines. I'm at war with 4 factions at the moment: Persians, Arabs and is it Ostrogoths in Italy? Now the Vandals have invaded and i'm going to have to kick there ass

Like what you did to the Katapharct with the red horse neck covering, cool http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

SicilianVespers
04-20-2004, 13:59
Max,
Do you know what Ostrogothic Saiones were? I think they were heavy cavalry, something like the Lombard Gasindii perhaps.

I have a few other unit names for you:

Visigothic Buccellarii Cavalry = Visigothic Heavy Cavalry
Visigothic Gardingi Cavalry = Light cav, Javelins

I'm not 100% sure about this one, but possibly:

Ostrogothic Saiones Cavalry = Ostrogothic Royal Cavalry

maximus decimus meridius
04-20-2004, 16:18
BKB.

Ok I see, I'll give the arabs a few more units in the next version... yes in italy there are the Ostrogoths..

.. the Half-armoured horse were used by Persian and Byzantine in that era.

Sicilian Vespers.

I don't know Saiones and Gardingi units, so i'll make some research...

thanks

Braccius Augustus
04-20-2004, 18:15
Downloaded the file again and it worked Must have been a problem with my connection before.

It's great that you included Roman-Britain with the real Arthur and also can't wait to recapture Rome as Belisarius

Thanks

SpetzNatz
04-20-2004, 18:21
Hi Maximus.
Could you change colour of Romans? Its hard to estimate menpower of the army.
Another suggestions, give Rome to Roman hands and South England to Celts (or who lived there).
Could you make mercenaries who serve Roman, look like Roman but fight like barbarians and have low loyalty and serve as expendive disloyal replacement of Roman legions? Rome has fallen because those mercenaries emerged own leader as Roman king and ended agony of West-Roman Empire. Is it possible to enable possibility win as West-Roman without war against Bzyantine (East-roman)? They actually acted one against the other but weren´t in war.
It would be honor and pleasure to help you in this task, but my skills are limited and as are Hollidays approaching I won´t be able to be onlińe alot.
Bye

Ave Caesar Imperato, Morituri te salutant.

SpetzNatz
04-20-2004, 18:23
My primary task will be to keep West-Roman alive and kick ass those germanic, vandal and other barbarian tribes with good measure.

SicilianVespers
04-20-2004, 19:18
More unit names....

Gesithas (Singular Gesith)- Germanic royal bodyguards or companions of Kings or Nobles. Same root as Lombard Gasindii. Probably either foot or cavalry depending on the tribe.

For Anglo-Saxons you can use either Gesith or Thegn.

maximus decimus meridius
04-21-2004, 00:28
Braccius Augustus.

Ok I'm happy for you

Sicilian Vespers.

Thanks, i'll change the Royal german unit names with Gesithas and Gesith, for the Anglo Saxons i'll use Thegn (plural is the same as singular?).

SpetzNatz.

Have you downloaded the last (2.1) version? cause i made Romans red and white in 2.1 so you can see the manpower of the army on the strategic map.
I don't know if is it possible to make some regular unit more or less disloyal for the ruler, indeed the game have already the possibility to raise mercenaries, and they were disloyal (at the beginning at least ), but anyway i'll try to make something .... it isn't possible to prevent the two roman faction from acting one against the other. sorry.

Anyone is interested to help me making some graphic work? I 'd like to put in the game a new animated .bif file for the Sassanian Cavalry with half barded horses (metallic armours).

Strength and honour mates

04-21-2004, 12:33
You have made a great mod there MDM. Playing as the West in the Twilight of the eagles period is really tough. Disloyal generals, revolts and invasions and that is just after the second turn http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

SicilianVespers
04-21-2004, 12:57
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 20 2004,18:28)]Thanks, i'll change the Royal german unit names with Gesithas and Gesith, for the Anglo Saxons i'll use Thegn (plural is the same as singular?).
I believe the plural is Thegns.

SpetzNatz
04-21-2004, 13:06
I'm your man. Completely.
But it isn't as simple as it could seem. I, as university student, now have to do lots of tests and afther this I wont be able to be online a lot, but I've downloaded page from forum about modmaking, so I'll be able to work independently on tasks for you and I'll visit this forum sometimes to see progress. Could you estimate size of your mods in future (I'll be able to connect only via moden)?
You are correct I have v2.0. Sorry to disturb with this.
My idea is, to increase numbers and quality of enemies of Rome (because Romans had to deal with many enemies, who were far to be poor willagers) and to make some mercenaries to look like Roman Legionaries but fight like barbarians (only poorly organized and therefore vulnerable to cavalry) and replace with them Roman Legions, so player will have to deal with numerous enemies and disloyalty as well as lack of funds and good soldiers (and will have to build high level buildings to be able to train Standard Roman Legions rather than hiring enemies as soldiers - this will reflect the fact that Romans weren't willing to serve in army). And even though, Legions should be trainable only in Italy, some Gaul provinces and maybe in Spain but absolutely not in England and number of these provinces should be limited to about dozen.
I know that it sounds like dream of masochist, but it will show that position of Rome was extremely difficult. Because I've found your game quite easy. Yes, I've had to retreat from several provinces, but I've stabilized this situation quite early and annihiated Visigoths (I'm uncertain with name, but I'm sure they were green) and Franks at same time while I was in war with Suebi, Vandals, Ostrogoths and Germans. Auxilia Palatina (weren't they auxiliary force only?) are too good to have them so early and others as well
Another suggestion is, to replace Mongols with Huns and make them numerous. I don't know when thir raids begun, so when it isn't suitable for that era, just forfeit this suggestion.
For Byzantines, I have idea. They shoul be using the same units as Ronams and those Kataphraktoi and other units could be available after reform of the army.
This could be done like construction of building with name Military reform. But I'm not sure if it is possible to make such building which would be buildable only once and in only one province (this is possible as far as I know) and construction of this building would make available new units for whole empire (this is probably impossible). This idea is hard to express, so if you won't understend (I won't wonder), just ask me.
at the end of the text I wont to say, that I didn't write whis with intention to insult someone, but to offer my knowledge, because I like this mod (as well as BKB's, Medmod....) and want to help in it's development.

maximus decimus meridius
04-22-2004, 00:17
BKB.

THanks but i think that it will be further improvements, probably the game is too easy after the first turns. For example i have tried to give the german kingdoms the possibility to make crusades/barbarian invasions, but it doesn't work properly http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

Sicilian Vespers.

Thanks mate, i will try to put some of your suggestions in the game.

SpetzNaz.

Ok. I think that you can work alone, there is not the necessity to stay connected every days, so if you want to make the Persian cavalry, i'll put your new .bif files in the game. i think that we can talk about the graphic problems if you need something ... in my opinion the best source are the Osprey books, do you know them?
About the other things, you are right, your idea to make buildable certain roman units in certain provinces is good, (i've thought something like this in the past...) i will make some tests.
About the roman barbarian units, well, it isn't possible to make a unit type more or less loyal, i think that this feature of the game is hardcoded....

Besides the game is not in the final version, so i can make some other changes to make it more realistic.

About the Byz units, yes it true the Byz. units in the game are those of the Justinian or thematic era, i can modify this aspect of the game, surely.

i think that it will be other discussion about these aspects of the mod, isn't it?

p.s. the Mongols are the Khazars and the Bulgars area the huns in the mod.

anyway mates .. what do you prefer as Auxilia Palatina?

These are the Cornuti Seniores regiment

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_NEWAUXILIA.JPG

and these are the Celtae Seniores regiment (the shield have two dragons..)

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_NEWAUXILIA2.JPG

please vote

SpetzNatz
04-22-2004, 10:58
Hi,
I'm new in modding but I'm skilled in drawing, so I can help you to make some new units with plaesure. Send data to v.pelcak@post.cz . This can serve as contact t me (if I don't count this forum), but keep in mind that I can't be on-line in weekends and Hollidays (but sometimes I will).
I'd prefer web pages as source of informations because I'm Czech and therefore it's hard to obtain tose Osprey books (or at least very expensive).
About modding, if I'll alter only those bif file *_H.bif and *.bif or *.lbm, will it be enough?
About those roman barbarian units. I thought it like making mercenary unit looking like Legionaries, but weaker, expensive and because it will be mercenary it will have low loyalty and high upkeep cost.
Is it possible to make building whose after finished costruction will affect all provinces of the empire?
Where I can download that patch. I didn't find it neither in mizus nor in 3ddownloads. Could you paste dll link here?
Thanx.

SpetzNatz
04-22-2004, 11:03
About Auxilia Palatina, both pictures are cool, but shouldn't they have larger shields?

maximus decimus meridius
04-22-2004, 13:20
Ok. Great About modding you need only to change the *_H.bif file and then you can resize the images from 512 x 512 pixels to 256 x 256 pixels to create teh low resolution .bif file.
It is not necessary to make new units .lbm file.
About the books i can send you the persian cavalry images that i have, they are only 3 or 4, with a little explanation, what do you think?
About the roman barbarian units, i think that i can make a called Roman mercenary warband with the same aspects and equipement of legions and auxilia, not buildable but only available as mercenary unit for Romans.
I think that it could be possible.

On the contrary it isn't possible to make a building that, after construction, could affect ALL the provinces; a building can affect only the country in which it is. Sorry.

Why the Roman units have oval shields? cause the roman soldiers of that tima used both oval and round shields, i have made oval shields only to have the possibility to habve an higher number of shield images in the .bif files .

the link is:
http://www.totalwar.org/Downloa....2.1.ZIP (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/4-20-04/FALL_OF_ROME_2.1.ZIP)

cheers
max

SicilianVespers
04-22-2004, 14:18
Both shields are excellent, but I think I prefer the Cornuti Seniores. Only because they are more widely recognized as Auxilia Palatina. You see that shield and you instantly know it's Auxilia.

SpetzNatz,
The mod already has buildable Foederati:

Burgundian Warriors in Burgundy
Heruli-Rugii Warriors on the Danube
Dismounted Sarmatians in Southern Spain
Isaurians in Anatolia
Slav Warriors in the Balkans

And, I have also already seen Gothic warriors in my Inn in Mediolanum.

Max,
You should add the Laeti in Armorica. Do the Alan Heavy Cavalry you start in Gaul represent the Laeti?

The Franks forced my two Limitanei to retreat to the castle in Belgica II. They will have to hold out until the cavalry of my Gallic field army can relieve them. Now that I found the Burgundians, they will be guarding the southern Rhine frontier.

You have an excellent mod here.

This thread should be stickied...

Ypoknons
04-22-2004, 14:35
I think people tend to associate a lot of red with the legions - I think that the whiter Cornuti Seniores emphaize the fact that they are auxilaries better. Not that it mattered much at this point in Roman history, but still, for the newbie.

maximus decimus meridius
04-22-2004, 15:18
Sicilian Vespers.

Good luck to your Limitanei

You are right about the Foederati.
Yes the Alan cavalry in Gaul (Anjou and Brittany) represent the Laeti settlements, also the Sarmatian infantry should be buildable in Gaul... the buildable Alans and sarmatians in Spain represent the Alans who were joined to Gaiseric/Gensericus Vandals...

anyway i think that the idea to make buildable the roman units only in specific provinces is good. the best recruitment areas of the roman empire in this era were Gaul, North Italy, Balkans, Anatolia, Britain and part of North Africa. What do you think about this?

I'm involved now in making the Praetorians and the Equites Catafractarii (alternative choice to Alan Cavalry) ....

04-22-2004, 16:33
Right another campaign, the second period i think and the invasions came, then a civil war but i managed to put it down. Withdrew from Spain. Allied with Byzantium and the Saxons. Horrendous wars with the germans and Franks. The wars went on for years but managed to hold good strategic provences which have a bridge crossing, ile de France and Lorraine. Eventually destroyed the Franks, but the Germans are stll alive. My leader Constantinius(spelling right?) is kicking ass. Top command when attacking. The Bulgar/germanic alliance was crush in Venice under a one star general http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif and now the Lombards and is it the Visigoths who start in the south of France? Well those want some as well.
The West and East are fighting back, and once i wipe the germans an lombards out( Bulgars have had huge rebellions and are almost gone) i'm marching on Spain. The Rex of the Ostrogoths wants an alliance but i've been allied with Byzantium over 50 years and i'm not going to forsake them http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

SicilianVespers
04-22-2004, 16:43
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 22 2004,09:18)]anyway i think that the idea to make buildable the roman units only in specific provinces is good. the best recruitment areas of the roman empire in this era were Gaul, North Italy, Balkans, Anatolia, Britain and part of North Africa. What do you think about this?

I agree completely for Foederati. It adds alot of flavor to the game, and gives an incentive to hold onto certain provinces.

Do you need Persian unit names? I know I have them at home somewhere, so I can get them for you if you need them.

maximus decimus meridius
04-22-2004, 16:45
..... My God BKB. What a campaign ...

SicilianVespers
04-22-2004, 18:57
Max,
If you are talking about building Roman regulars in special recruitment provinces only, that is a little more tricky. Would we have to disallow the building of barbarian units on Roman soil? The numbers of Barbarians were miniscule compared to the Roman population, and resulted in their assimilation relatively quickly.

Maybe give a bonus to Roman units built in their traditional recruitment province?

What were your ideas on this?

SicilianVespers
04-22-2004, 19:41
Persian unit names:

Sassanian Immortals = Royal body guard. I would rename Khwarazmanian (sp?) Cavalry, and replace the Ghulams, as bodyguards, with Immortals. Maybe give the Ghulams to the Arabs in High and Late?

Aswaran Cavalry = Noble Cavalry, Clibanarii.

Dihqan Horse Archers = Lesser nobles, mounted archers, no horse armor. (rename Khurasani Horse Archers?)

Paighan Spearmen = Sassanian Spearmen.

They could also have a good choice of foreign mercenaries. Armenian Cavalry, Hephthalite Cavalry (White Huns), Daylami Infantry, Georgian Cavalry.

maximus decimus meridius
04-22-2004, 20:37
Sicilian Vespers.

I have not a precise opinion about the roman recruitment areas, so maybe your idea to give a bonus to roman units built in these areas is good.

But in my opinion the game should be more difficult and interesting if the Roman uniits would be buildable only in specific provinces.

This little subject need to be more discussed i think ...

..Thanks for the persian names.

Another thing, the Fall of Rome 2.1 zip file is downloadable from the proper download area of the .org.

cheers

max

SicilianVespers
04-22-2004, 22:04
This could work well. If you include the buildable Foederati, so the Romans can get barbarian units once their native recruiting grounds are lost.

You could have Milites Limitanei, Equites Indiginae, and Equites Sagitarii Indiginae buildable in the non-recruiting provinces. They should be able to build some type of non-elite units in the rest of the provinces.

Just make sure you let me recruit in Sicily. The Ostrogoths left the defence of Sicily to the Sicilians, so they should be able to build something http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif Sicily was very important to them as a grain producing area. I think it was one of the only provinces in the Ostrogothic Kingdom in which the Romans were allowed to do so.

Once the recruiting grounds are lost, the Romans would be forced to rely on the Foederati for elite units.

04-22-2004, 22:13
When that happens in my game may god help my Romans http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif

SicilianVespers
04-23-2004, 13:34
Max,
I modified the Persian unit names post, you may want to look at it again.

maximus decimus meridius
04-23-2004, 14:33
Sicilian Vespers.

Yes i see. Maybe The Daylami infantry and Hephtalite cavalry should be a good addition to Persian...

also in my opinion Ghulam cavalry should not be the royal persian units, so i'll change this feature.

another thing... i've made some test with different Crusader_unit_prod file configurations, i have seen that it is possible to have really serious military/province revolts simply working on one units parameter and on the provinces revolt aptitude.

i think that it could be a valid substitute to simulate the roman units disloyalty and the military revolts happened in that era. in this case the roman units in the game are enough.

What do you think mates?

SicilianVespers
04-23-2004, 15:02
In my 374 campaign, all of North Africa and Malta rebelled on the first turn. Is this pretty consistent or was I just lucky?

If you consider the fact that the African Comes Heraclian proclaimed himself emperor around Stilicho's time, and Heraclius, the Exarch of Africa, rebelled against Phocas (if i'm not mistaken) to finally become emperor. Rebellions in Africa would be pretty accurate.

I think it's a good idea, but I would only do it in historically rebellious provinces.

04-23-2004, 15:26
The mod is great, the west has fought back, my 6 sons all above five stars are kicking ass. The lombards, germans(again they returned) and the pope have been moped up and just got into a great battle with the Visigoths for toulouse. I had around 2,000 men with a 6 star general against a 4 star 3,500 army. A suffered around 500 casualties but the visigoths had 2,000 plus.

Great, great mod. Really enjoying it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

maximus decimus meridius
04-23-2004, 17:15
Sicilian Vespers.

you are not lucky, i've made different rebellious provinces for the 3 different campaigns in order to reflect the real histoty, but the mod can be improved.... i'm not satisfied. In the 374 ad campaign the north africa is more rebellious than other provinces.

BKB.

your battle are great it is a slaughter

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

cheers mates

in the next days i'll upload images of the Equites Catafractarii and the Praetorians

ShadesPanther
04-24-2004, 20:40
This would be really good online http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/idea.gif = http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-gossip.gif = http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-computer.gif

TigerVX
04-24-2004, 21:40
I love your mod. Its the best Rome mod out there. I'm currently playing the Visigoths, I'm so tempted to sack Constantinople but I know my army, though well armed + valour, is no match for the eastern empire =P. I've killed the Buglars expanded a bit, but I really like your mod. The legionare BIFs are great.

04-25-2004, 02:20
War with Byzantiums going down and the shit is about to hit the fan. God, i have to go back to uni tomorrow and this campaign will have to wait NO http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

TigerVX
04-25-2004, 03:57
All out war is upon me The Franks have become the leading super power, and attacked Rome. Me as a Roman ally along with Byzantine, Germany, and the Vandals attempted to attack. WHAM. The borders are burried in stacks Next turn NOW it tells me the Franks are the leading army force. Thus, The Western and Eastern empires, the Visigoths, The Vandals, the Germans, AND the Papacy are all attacking the Franks. We're dwindling their borders, but I've already lost 5 stacks =(

SpetzNatz
04-25-2004, 14:38
Maximus.
You don't have to be sorry, I thought, that that building won't be possible.
May I ask, how do you manage to convert pictures to bif? I've tried Bifread and it produces pictures with white dots. Even when I use 8bit bmp images.
About that warband, Yes, thats what I've had in mind. But they shoud be only poorly organized.
That link fot patch doesn't work (page not found).
What about papacy, will you remove them? When did they begun their existence?
Bye.

SpetzNatz
04-25-2004, 17:20
Sorry, That tool is Readbif (22b - 23c).

maximus decimus meridius
04-25-2004, 21:57
SpetzNatz.

Hi, i use readbif 22b and 23c, but when i make a new .bif i always start from an old .bif file, for instance my new auxilia and legions are modified byzantine infantry.

also i use photoeditor after have extracted the 12 images from the .bif file with readbif (23c version is great to make the right position of shields..) to copy and past the shield images for instance.
I think that the simplest thing for you is to start from the Smailcav.bif file (512x512 pixels) to make the Sassanian cav.

BUT i made ALL the graphic changes in 512x512 pix. .bif files with readbif 22b, then i extract the 12 .bmp images, resize them with photoeditor to 256 x256 px., import in the original 256x256 pix. .bif file.

et voilà...

i use the readbif 22b to avoid the colour palette corruptions, this is the real problem... but i know that someone use other methods (like Duke John..).

the patch is downloadable now in the Medieval download page of this web site.

the Papacy can't be removed from the game, it's a hardcoded feature sorry.

I have some Sassanian cavalry images, i can send you if you want, let me know what do you think.

cheers

max

TigerVX
04-25-2004, 23:06
First, can you make it so the papacy is the senate? Second, can you make Crusades Only available to Rome and Byzantine, and the crusades usually have alot of legionares in it? Just a thought.

Sir Zack de Caldicot
04-25-2004, 23:41
Quote[/b] (TigerVX @ April 25 2004,17:06)]First, can you make it so the papacy is the senate? Second, can you make Crusades Only available to Rome and Byzantine, and the crusades usually have alot of legionares in it? Just a thought.
Great Idea http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

I just love this mod, keep up the good work http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif
Sir Zack

SpetzNatz
04-26-2004, 12:53
I've another idea. If papists are hardcoded, could you put them to some less important province? What about Malta?
You can send me whatever you wish. Your only limitation is 1,5 MB size of mail and total size 14 MB. If it won't be enough there is another one spearhead@seznam.cz (I use this when I want to dll something and it requires registration and other junk, but for now it can serve well, too) with the same restriction but only 10 MB total.

SpetzNatz
04-26-2004, 13:13
First e-mail address is v.pelcak@post.cz I've mentioned it before (I think), but just to remind...
Do you know where I can download csImageFile.dll or its trial version?

SicilianVespers
04-26-2004, 13:22
I haven't had much time to play, I have been painting all weekend.

I managed to get my Gallic field army to Belgica II and the Franks ran becaus I outnumbered them. The next turn they came in with double my numbers.

If I fight my entire field army will be decimated, but I still have a small field army in Britannia and a growing army of Burgundians in Gaul. I just don't have time to fight the battle. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

I also had another turn of putting down revolts in North Africa. I moved my Sarmatian Infantry in from Spain, and built enough Equites Mauri, so I think I finally have the upper hand here.

Max,
Have you given any thought to adding Ghassanid Foederati on the Roman side of the Persian frontier?

Should they be light cavalry archers or Javelin?

maximus decimus meridius
04-26-2004, 13:40
Hi SpetzNaz.

Ok i'll send you the images. Sorry i don't know where it is possible to download csImageFile.dll, I use readbif 23c.

About the Pope, yes it is a good idea to put the pope in Malta, only if any faction would conquer Malta (or any other provinces you can put the pope), the Papal faction will rebirth in Malta AND in Rome. This feature is hardcoded, i made some tests about this. anyway i'll try to put the pope in Malta and i'll make some tests.

up til now i've considered the pope as a senatorial power or something like that.

TigerVX, Sir Zack de Caldicot.

I've tried to assign the crusade feature to german tribes in order to reflect the barbarian invasions/migrations, but it didn't work very well, the german cfusade/barbarian migration headed for the pagan and muslim provinces... and not for the ortodhox countries.

.. sorry but i don't understand why we should assign to Roman factions the possibility to make crusade... it seems to me that there aren't historical episodes about this. Please could you explain me?

Ellesthyan
04-26-2004, 14:44
Still, making the Romans catholic, and therefore subject to the pope, would be awesome, as the Pope would act as if it was the Senate. Don't know about crusades though; you could use them as representations of emperors trying to reform the army, or , especially in the case of Justianus, for the reconquests the Romans tried to make.

SicilianVespers
04-26-2004, 15:25
I agree with Max about the Romans and crusades, the Romans were on the defensive at this time.

Kataphraktoi put the Pope in Finland in the Darkages mod. If you want to get the Pope out of Italy, you can put him in Finland and isolate it like the Sahara. Then make it a minor faction. It will never be eliminated beacuse it can't be attacked, and will not re-emerge in Rome.

maximus decimus meridius
04-26-2004, 15:46
Sicilian Vespers.

this is a good idea, i'll test it

SpetzNatz
04-26-2004, 18:16
But could you win by conquering all lands?

A_B
04-26-2004, 21:31
Quote[/b] (SicilianVespers @ April 26 2004,09:25)]I agree with Max about the Romans and crusades, the Romans were on the defensive at this time.

Kataphraktoi put the Pope in Finland in the Darkages mod. If you want to get the Pope out of Italy, you can put him in Finland and isolate it like the Sahara. Then make it a minor faction. It will never be eliminated beacuse it can't be attacked, and will not re-emerge in Rome.
Max, I tried this, and it did not work. The Popes Faction did die out, even though Finland was isolated. It was a lack of heirs, i'm assuming. When it reemerged a few year later, it emerged in ROME only. It was a big disappointment. It was a minor faction.

Is their a way to insure more heirs? Or you could start it in Finland, and if it reemerges in Rome, so be it. You could give it Peasant only units, or slaves, if you wanted to make it somewhat manageable.

AB

TigerVX
04-27-2004, 01:44
I'd like to raise the question of the extremely hard barbarian factions in the campgiens. Most barabarians don't have access to the coasts, and are isolated to one or two provinces. Now, I'm all for historical accuracey, but this its REALLY hard to play as barbarians, or really anyone BUT the Roman Empires. I tried the Arabs on the early era, thinking I'll do the usual and set up an Economy and raise an army. boy was I in for a suprise. I had one useless homeland, and Byzantines around me with some more Persians with no water access. Whats the only viable thing to do? Attack Byzantine. I take maybe 2 port towns, then 2 or 3 stacks come and wipe me out. Can you at least make it so the other factions besides the Romans have an easy way to gain an economy in the early era?

Besides that, its a great mod. I'm not much for a Roman historian, so I didn't really know what the romans where doing at this time. Also, will Gladiators eventually be included in the Roman and Byzantine armies?

maximus decimus meridius
04-27-2004, 08:58
Hi A_B.

This is a bad news. I'm also doing a little test but the Pope isn't died yet.. probably you are right, the best thing is to place the Pope in Finland (without any links to other province) and giving it only Peasants and maybe Fanatics.
Anyway it possible to give him an heir, simply add the follow string in the startpos file (in the faction leader section of the file, obviously).

AddHeir:: FN_POPE 1 1

This should work.

TigerVx.

Yes it is a really an hard work to play with some factions, particularly the Arabs. But i've tried to make the mod more historically accurate as possible, and the Arabs emerged as a mediterranean power only around 620 AD, sorry...

Anyway two rich provinces are at arabs disposal, the Aegypt and Palaestine, after conquered these the arabs can only hope to resist... maybe the Persians could help them.

the Gladiators fought alongside the roman army only in some battles at the beginning of the Roman history, but there will be some new roman units in the next version, the Equites Catafractarii
the Praetorians
the Romano-Celtic warbands (only for the Romano-British)

Sicilian Vespers.

I think that Ghassanids were very similar to later Arabs, so i think that they had spear-armed infantry and infantry archers, but very poor in cavalry i think....

... but i don't know if there will be some ghassanid units in the next version. I'm actually involved in making the heavy roman infantry and cavalry.

max

SicilianVespers
04-27-2004, 13:15
Max & A_B,
What if you don't declare the PAPISTS faction, and remove all entries form the startpos txt file?

I have never tried this, so I don't know if it will work.

TigerVx,
You need to be an opportunist. Just ally with one side, and wait for them to go to war. You obviously can't go on the offensive vs the Byzantines or Persians, so just pick up what their scraps until you can build yourself up.

Max,
Are you going to give Latin units to the Byzantines in the earlier years?

Just a thought, but you could move the start date of High to around 650 AD (around the time the Themes were created), and make the traditional Byzantine units (Skoutatoi, Kataphraktoi, etc...) available in High and Late. Then you can use the excellent shields for both Eastern and Western Roman.

This would be an easy way to illustrate the switch to the Thematic system.

I agree about the Arabs. Depending on your alliances, you can basically play as either the Ghassanids (Roman Ally) or Lahkmids (Persian Ally).

Keep working on the Equites Catafractarii, I can't wait to see them (I have already renamed Alan Catafracts to Equites Alani Catafractarii)

maximus decimus meridius
04-27-2004, 13:57
Sicilian Vespers.

Should be a good idea to avoid to declare tha Papal faction...

if i assign the roman units to Byzantine in early era , maybe the beginnin of the high era should be the period of Justinian (around 530ad),it seems to me that during the Gothic war, Byzantine made use of armoured horse archers armed with bows and spears (the Kataphraktoi) and made use of infantry tactics (and weapons) very similar to those used by the later Skoutatoi.

is it right?

PseRamesses
04-27-2004, 14:08
Hi Maximus, I really think you should get this topic sticked. Ask the mods of this forum. Thanks for a fun mod.

SicilianVespers
04-27-2004, 14:44
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 27 2004,07:57)]Sicilian Vespers.

Should be a good idea to avoid to declare tha Papal faction...

if i assign the roman units to Byzantine in early era , maybe the beginnin of the high era should be the period of Justinian (around 530ad),it seems to me that during the Gothic war, Byzantine made use of armoured horse archers armed with bows and spears (the Kataphraktoi) and made use of infantry tactics (and weapons) very similar to those used by the later Skoutatoi.

is it right?
I think you're right, the army changed before the institution of the themes.

I think it would be safe to use 530 AD for the switch, but you should keep the crossover units like the Milites Limitanei and Buccellarii.

Are you going to make a new shield for the Skoutatoi? The kite shield was in use much later.

maximus decimus meridius
04-27-2004, 15:41
PseRamesses.

Ok. I also think so. i'll ask the mod

Sicilian Vespers.

i'm really involving in graphic work now, i don't know if i'll do another new shield.... maybe ....

TigerVX
04-27-2004, 23:04
The problems with the Arabs is that they have ALOT of men, but Arabia provides almost no income. So you have to strike early in order to get money, or your funds run out, and can't wait for Persia of Byzantine to go to war. But I'm still hoping I can carve out an empire with them

maximus decimus meridius
04-28-2004, 08:45
These are the 1st version of Equites Catafractarii, work is in progress the soldier's helmets will be substituted with a roman cavalry shape.

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_CATAFRACTARII.JPG

Sicilian Vespers.

I've tried to remove all entries abuot the Papist faction from the starpos file .... The game DIDN'T WORK AT ALL

Probably the presence of Papist faction is hardcoded.

So maybe the best thing is to pot the Pope in Finland (isolated) and assign him only peasants and maybe religious fanatic as royal units.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

max

SpetzNatz
04-28-2004, 10:41
I've got idea. Are Papists hardcoded to emerge in region named Rome or in certain coordinates in map?
If the first is true, you can declare finland region as Rome, but in Loc/Eng files can rename it back to Finland.
Point is, that for game will be Rome in Finland and for players in real Rome, so Pope will emerge in Finland.
Or you can use that Viking campmap. Just replace it with that map of whole Europe. Because I think, that players will play your mod rather than that Viking campaign and Pope isn't located there (I think).
About those Equites Catafractarii, shouldn't they hold lances in other hand than shield?

maximus decimus meridius
04-28-2004, 11:48
Hi SpetzNaz

Maybe your idea is good, i will try to make what you have thought.

You are right about the Equites Catafractarii, but i made the shields only to make the Cata more recognizable, in fact they are almost the same than the Alan Heavy cavalry.

Have you received the .jpg files that i sent you?

SicilianVespers
04-28-2004, 13:37
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 28 2004,02:45)]I've tried to remove all entries abuot the Papist faction from the starpos file .... The game DIDN'T WORK AT ALL

Probably the presence of Papist faction is hardcoded.

So maybe the best thing is to pot the Pope in Finland (isolated) and assign him only peasants and maybe religious fanatic as royal units.
Putting the Pope in Finland worked in Kataphraktoi's Darkages mod. You should look at the startpos file to see how it was done.

I played Darkages alot, and it was never a problem. It should work.

I always assumed the best general became Pope if there are no heirs. How can the Papacy die out due to lack of heirs?

A_B,
Did you give the Pope any other units, in your test?

SicilianVespers
04-28-2004, 15:36
Max,
I almost forgot, I did a little checking last night. According to Osprey's Romano-Byzantine Armies, the Justinian's Exarch of Africa had Milites Comitatenses (Skoutatoi & Kataphraktoi?) and Limitanei in his army, so I think a mix of Latin and some new Greek units would be perfect.

Equites Illyriciani would be another good unit, as they were pretty important at the time.

Good work on the Equites Catafractarii.

SpetzNatz
04-28-2004, 17:13
If you mean that zip file, yes I've got it. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-lost.gif

A_B
04-28-2004, 17:59
Quote[/b] (SicilianVespers @ April 28 2004,07:37)][A_B,
Did you give the Pope any other units, in your test?
In my test, the Pope had the same unit mix as the Romans - the full compliment - as i had been leaving them in Rome as a rebellious senate.

I was very surprised that the papal faction died out. Perhaps it is was a fluke.

I also gave Finland a HUGE income, so the Pope could give all the barbarian factions extra Florin, to keep them viable.

AB

SpetzNatz
04-28-2004, 18:03
Another idea about Papists.
They could be used to represent barbarians who will still reemerge (in province declared as rome and placed, for example, in german lands) and will still attack you (Romans surely had to deal with those who still led rebelions against them.
Their religions don't have to be changed (I think that it is impossible), just change images representig christians (that grey cross) and names into something barbarian-like.
If you'll do this for all barbarians, papist (renamed to Germans) calling for crusade could be used as calling for barbarians to attack you and when all barbarians (or most of them) will be originally christians, thy will be able to use crusade (renamed to something like Barbarian Raid) against you (Romans and other nonbarbarians).
Do you understand what I mean? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

SpetzNatz
04-28-2004, 18:09
Another idea.
What if those, originally Papists, were the Huns? Plenty of barbarian tribes joined or followed (or run before) them. They should be able to use crusades as well. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

SpetzNatz
04-28-2004, 18:14
Is it East American time shown in date of post?
If yes, I wish to all from bad side of Earth good dinner? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

SicilianVespers
04-28-2004, 18:55
What if we use the Papist faction as a rebel Roman faction.

Don't assign them any provinces, or place the leader.

When the Pope aka the Usurper emerges, you have a very large rebellion in the Capital.

They could represent leaders like Odovacar, Ricimer, etc...

this could work...

I think I will try to find time to test this tonight.

I think I will call the faction the Foederati and make its leader the Patrician of Italy.

One problem with this, for Justinian and afterward they would have to be renamed back to the Papists.

SicilianVespers
04-28-2004, 21:05
SpetzNatz,
I think Max said the crusades didn't work. They were still launched against the Pagans and Muslims.

If renaming Rome works. The Picts or Irish would also be a good choice for a new faction.

SicilianVespers
04-28-2004, 23:03
I just tested not assigning any provinces and not placing the Papist leader.

I played 20 turns (auto resolving), had no garrison in Rome with a tax rate of very high, and the Pope never emerged?

If you don't start the Pope in the beginning of the campaign, will that prevent him from emerging?

I don't know if I will have more time to test tonight, but will try.

A_B
04-29-2004, 05:54
Quote[/b] (SpetzNatz @ April 28 2004,12:03)]Another idea about Papists.
They could be used to represent barbarians who will still reemerge (in province declared as rome and placed, for example, in german lands) and will still attack you (Romans surely had to deal with those who still led rebelions against them.
Their religions don't have to be changed (I think that it is impossible), just change images representig christians (that grey cross) and names into something barbarian-like.
If you'll do this for all barbarians, papist (renamed to Germans) calling for crusade could be used as calling for barbarians to attack you and when all barbarians (or most of them) will be originally christians, thy will be able to use crusade (renamed to something like Barbarian Raid) against you (Romans and other nonbarbarians).
Do you understand what I mean? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif
I did just this in a 406ad mod. The Germans are all Christians, along with the Pope. They all start with a chapter house, a lot of units, and enough money for two crusades.

In order to survive, the Roman player has to attack the Pope in Rome, and destroy him before the barbarians can launch Crusades (they need the popes blessing to do this). So this must be done on turn one, and the castle reduced on turn two. I had crusades set to take two years to make.

The Roman player then had 5 to 10 years to prepare, with lots of money, but not enough upgrades to produce quality units.

When the Pope reemerged, all the Germanic factions would immediately launch crusades. It was definitely historic. When the AI controlled the Romans, they never lasted more than 20 years before they were isolated to one or two provinces. As the human, i found them too damn frustrating to play, civil war after civil war. I may go back to it after i'm done with BKB's mod.

AB

maximus decimus meridius
04-29-2004, 09:02
Hi All.

to summarize a few things:

the Crusade option doesn't work very well, german kingdoms (catholics) do crusades against pagan (first) and muslim factions, but not against orthodox.

about the pope problem, probably the best ideas are to put the pope in finland and rename it as Rome, this should be possible only changing something in startpos files, also we can assume that the pope is a rebellious roman faction and leave him in rome as a normal faction, or we can assume that he is a rebel roman faction but without assigning provinces and placing leader....

the last option is very interesting if it should work. i made a test without declaring the Pope and the game didn't start at all as i said yesterday, but if the Sicilian Vespers option should work maybe the problem would be resolved....
... how can we name the papal faction? The Senate? The Patricians? The Landowners? The Aristocracy? please keep in mind that i can assign only one name for ALL the Campaigns.

Also to make new factions isn't a real problem, i already made the Maxentius Roman faction for the 304ad campaign.

SpetzNaz.
yes i mean that .zip file.

Sicilian Vespers.
you are right, before the thematic reform the Byzantine had a mix of units, the old roman ones, and the new ones, all called generically numeri , if i remember ..
i'll see the Darkage mod.

A_B.
Hi , yes i know playing with the romans in some campaigns is hard, but this should be reflect the real situation.

Duke John
04-29-2004, 11:45
Topic is pinned.

My unitgraphics
First one minor thing, the BIFs were not made for the WotR mod but for general use in the normal campaigns. The WotR mod will get entirely new graphics http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-grin2.gif
In your PM you referred to my Swabian Swordsmen unitgraphics. Feel free to use them and do whatever you want with it as long as you credit me for the unitgraphics.

Good luck with your mod,
Duke John

maximus decimus meridius
04-29-2004, 13:05
Thanks DJ

maximus decimus meridius
04-29-2004, 13:10
Hi All

The Topic is pinned.

SicilianVespers
04-29-2004, 13:31
I tested it again on Expert. After rebellions all over the place (including Rome), and three civil wars. No Pope emerges. My frontier provinces were even going over to the Barbarians due to bribery. I had to side with the rebels all three times, because the bulk of the army was with them

Max,
You can assign different faction names for the various campaigns. Just create a 374AD_faction_specific.txt file, and declare it in the 374AD startpos file. You can have a seperate file for each campaign if you need to.

As far as the Papal faction goes, I am kind of partial to the Army of Italy, or the Foederati. The leader can be the Patrician of Italy, but this would only be work for the 400's until the Ostrogoth Theodoric becomes the Patrician of Italy.

The Roman Senate would probably work for all periods. For a leader title maybe the Patrician of Rome. What about SPQR? (the Senate and People of Rome)

SPQR can pretty much be taken as anything. The people, Aristocracy, Army, and even Odovacar.

A_B
04-29-2004, 13:40
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 29 2004,03:02)]Hi All.

to summarize a few things:

the Crusade option doesn't work very well, german kingdoms (catholics) do crusades against pagan (first) and muslim factions, but not against orthodox.
In my 406 mod the Germans all crusaded agianst the Orthodox romans right off the bat. Their usual target provinces were Rome, Naples, Sicily, or one of the Spanish provinces.

I had made all the Roman provinces highly developed in economic upgrades (farm3 or 3, merchants, etc.), but not able to produce quality units for 16 plus turns.

I think the rich provinces drew in the crusades, orthodox or not.

AB

maximus decimus meridius
04-29-2004, 14:25
Sicilian Vespers.

Ok i see, i will read something about this in Adding new faction guide, and then i'l do some tests.

A_B

Ok, if i've understood, you made very well economical developed provinces, but without any military buidings, is it right?

In this case, i think that the more roman developed provinces should be Constantinople, Milan, Rome, Tunisia, Tolouse, Aegypt, Valencia (or another spanish provinces) and maybe one of the british provinces.

what do you think?

SicilianVespers
04-29-2004, 15:10
I don't think Aegypt should be a target, as the Arabs won't have Crusades. I would build up the provinces you want to be targets of migrations. Greece may be a better choice than Constantinople. This would reflect the Visigoth and Slav migrations into the balkans.

So you would need target provinces in:

Spain (Andalusia & Leon) = Visigoths, Suevi, Vandals
Britain = Anglo-Saxons
Aquitaine = Visigoths
Italy (Milan & Rome) = Ostrogoths & Lombards
Tunisia = Vandals
Greece = Visigoths & Slavs
Ile de France = Franks

You should rename Crusades to Völkerwanderung or Barbarian Migrations.

I would think you could still have military building in the target provinces.

Also, if Milan is a target, I would move the capital to Ravenna.

A_B
04-29-2004, 15:11
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 29 2004,08:25)]A_B

Ok, if i've understood, you made very well economical developed provinces, but without any military buidings, is it right?

In this case, i think that the more roman developed provinces should be Constantinople, Milan, Rome, Tunisia, Tolouse, Aegypt, Valencia (or another spanish provinces) and maybe one of the british provinces.

what do you think?
Max,

In general, all Roman AND Byzantine provinces were built up economically in my 406 mod, but only a few provinces could build military units. Rome and Constantinople were heavily built up. Only a few Roman provinces could be Auxilaria (sp), and were years away from Legionaires (sp) or good cavalry.

Most Germanic territories had enough military buildings to make warbands, and some had enough to make heavy Cav.

This was all in an effort to make things historical. The Germanic factions that were successful in grabing a few Roman provinces could survive quite well. They all tried. It was devestating trying to play as the Roman. However, there was a N. African Roman (roman rebels) faction which was quite fun to play, and the Byzantines were quite fun as well - having to beat off a Persian invasion before turning to face the huns and Germans.

I think i sent you the files, you probably haven't had time to check them out. I probably have newer versions by now.

AB

maximus decimus meridius
04-29-2004, 15:51
A_B.

Yes i'm very involved in making graphic changes now, i hadn't time to test your file sorry.
But I think that we can put your 406ad startpos file in the next mod version.

Have you changed the Crusader_build_prod to have the units buildable only in specific provinces?

Sicilian Vespers.

About the target provinces probably tou are right.

cheers

Coldstream
04-29-2004, 16:16
Quote[/b] (SicilianVespers @ April 29 2004,07:31)]I tested it again on Expert. After rebellions all over the place (including Rome), and three civil wars. No Pope emerges. My frontier provinces were even going over to the Barbarians due to bribery. I had to side with the rebels all three times, because the bulk of the army was with them

Max,
You can assign different faction names for the various campaigns. Just create a 374AD_faction_specific.txt file, and declare it in the 374AD startpos file. You can have a seperate file for each campaign if you need to.

As far as the Papal faction goes, I am kind of partial to the Army of Italy, or the Foederati. The leader can be the Patrician of Italy, but this would only be work for the 400's until the Ostrogoth Theodoric becomes the Patrician of Italy.

The Roman Senate would probably work for all periods. For a leader title maybe the Patrician of Rome. What about SPQR? (the Senate and People of Rome)

SPQR can pretty much be taken as anything. The people, Aristocracy, Army, and even Odovacar.
I think you should name it The Emperor's Nagging Wife because we all know that a nagging wife is the root of every man's worst problems. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-furious3.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-argue.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif

SicilianVespers
04-29-2004, 16:23
Max,
Have you redone the uniticon lbm and Review_panel bif for the Limitanei?

I am just about done with a new one (have to change the shield). I basically used the Auxilia Palatina images (with red patched on the bottom of tunic), removed the armor, and added the red patches to the shoulders. I am going to use the shield from the Limitanei in Ospreys Late Roman Infantry (basically red with a boss, and a gold dotted design).

If you want them, I can send them to you.

maximus decimus meridius
04-29-2004, 23:39
Coldstream.

Sicilian Vespers.

Yes of course, send me the files and i'll put them in the mod..
my email is: maximus2004ad@yahoo.com

Ellesthyan
04-30-2004, 01:19
Maybe even keeping the Pope the Pope might be good, as the Pope was remotely powerful in Rome, and especially after it's sacked by Ottokar. Don't know if the pope had any worldly power in 374 though...

SicilianVespers
04-30-2004, 13:59
Max,
I am planning on reworking the other Roman infantry lbms & bifs, to make them more unique on the review panel. I want to try to make the shields match the shields you have created for the battles. I'll send you eveything when completed.

Ellesthyan,
The Pope was just the Patriarch of Rome at this time. Rome was ruled by Romano-Byzantine Dukes after Justinian's reconquest, and the Pope didn't actually become the ruler of Rome until around the time Ravenna fell to the Lombards.

A_B
04-30-2004, 14:06
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 29 2004,09:51)]A_B.

Have you changed the Crusader_build_prod to have the units buildable only in specific provinces?
Yes i made it so factions could only build in certian provinces. The Romans were limited to Roman territories.

Germans have more flexability on where to build.

Eastern factions can only build in arab contries, etc.

I made a lot of other changes to the unit stats as well.

AB

Ellesthyan
04-30-2004, 18:34
Oops, sorry then http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

04-30-2004, 18:59
I had agreat battle today. In Bulgaria, Romans vs Byzantines and Khazer alliance. Spread out, in deep formation on a hill, outnumbered two to one. The Khazer made up the right wing and an archery duel commneced between my archers and Khazer light cavalry. Then, the combined Byzantine Cavalry hit my right flank and it buckled and was ready to break. I saw my one chance, the Byzantine general was on foot(the heir royal unit) and i took all remaining cav in a direct attack to hold the center and kill the enemy general, and he was cut down and the entire Byzantine army, who were crying cheers of victory suddenely turned to shouts of panic and they ran like bitches The Khazer force lost the stomach after that as i launched a combined infantry and cavalry attack and swept them from the field http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

maximus decimus meridius
05-01-2004, 15:17
BKB.

Great battle

ALL.

These are the new Farae warbands.. Thanks to Duke John

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_FARAE.JPG

ChErNoByl
05-01-2004, 18:24
I am having trouble downloading the mod..

i have searched the downloads area and i have no idea where it is i just see a few screenshots, but thats it.

can someone lend a detailed way to download it?

maximus decimus meridius
05-01-2004, 19:17
ChErNoByl.

Try this...

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/MTW/Stats.shtml

ALL.

Oops the Farae shield will be changed, obviously.

Monk
05-02-2004, 19:50
Wow this is a great mod I downloaded this late last night and all i can say is this: http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/jawdrop.gif

Great job everybody working on this. Here's a summery of my experience so far

I decided to start in the Twilight of the Eagles period. (btw very nice faction variety) I chose the Visigoths.

Driven out by the growing power of the Ostrogoths the Visigoths set out on a journey to find a new home. Joined by other Goths and Alans their numbers grew, until they came into contact with the Western Roman Empire. The King of the Visigoths petitioned the Romans for land within the empire. But the Imperator would have none of it, he denied the Visigoths and Alans the right to settle within Roman territory, but he also went one step further by ordering a strike against the barbarians.

Betrayed the Visigoths fought back and defeated the legionary forces sent against them, but the king himself was slain. Even so, his son Ataulf took up the crown, and swore revenge upon Rome. Using his great diplomatic skills he acquired the aid of the Anglo-Saxons, The Franks, and the Germans, welding together what he called The Visigoth Alliance. With this new confederation of Tribes Ataulf declared war on the Western Romans, blazing a trail of death across the empire. Time after time, and battle after battle the legions were decimated, routed and humiliated. King Ataulf marched his people from Thrace to Tuscany, but he spared Rome when the Imperator agreed to his terms. The Visigoths were granted the land of Aquantina (i think thats how it was spelled) After that the Visigoth Alliance was disbanded as the Franks turned to fighting the Germans and the Anglo-saxons Migrated north into Scandinavia.

The Western Roman empire was devastated, and they could feel hate burning in their hearts for the people who defeated them. In the next 10 years Rome would launch three attacks against the Visigoths, and it was three times that the young Ataulf pushed back the onslaught and saved his people. The year is now 400 AD, and the West is in great decline. The Visigoths have proved to the world that Rome is not what it used to be and lands are ripe for the taking, as time goes by one can only wonder how long the city shall remain standing.

This is a great mod maximus, Thank you and all who helped you, i have a feeling i'll be playing this for a long time http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

Brianbbj
05-02-2004, 21:58
I have not tried the mod, but i just wanna ask, that you not are going to expand your mod, so there is a early'er campaign? so i can play old style legions (ca.0AD+) against those germanic tribes

maximus decimus meridius
05-03-2004, 08:47
Monk.

Thanks. The guys who are helping me are A_B, Hross af Guttenburg, SpetzNaz and Sicilian Vespers. Also I've taken some new Duke John unitgraphics.. thanks DJ.

There'll be another version of the mod at least, whit new units, new units graphics, new campaigns maybe a new strategic map and other features.... so stay tuned.

Brianbbj

the earlier campaign now is a 304AD campaign Constantine the Great vs. Maxentius, there will not be campaigns in the 1st and 2nd century AD.

A_B. Sicilian Vespers.

I'm testing the Crusade/Barbarian invasion feature modified with your suggestions.... and it works

Now the game is much more fun

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 09:49
i downloaded it but a few install questions

1.will it change the menu screen
2.can reqonisa and fall of rome run on the same game http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif i'm dim when it comes to computers

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 10:14
i have VI 2.01 is that ok http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/flat.gif

is your install guide out of date http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif can you give me a modern one http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/handball.gif

custom battles?

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 11:24
what's going on i copy then paste it asks to write files to cd and then it can't

for the first 3 files i click copy but how do i get them there pasting dosen't work http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

SpetzNatz
05-03-2004, 12:22
I don't understand you much, but it seems that you want to copy files from CD to HDD, but you've swapped sides, so you are trying to copy files from HDD (HardDisk) to CD. But it isn't possible until you have CD-RW (CD burner, it allows you to copy files to certain types of CD) and special program (Nero Burning Rom ....). http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 12:26
thanks but i'll wait for mdm http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif
i'm sure you don't need that mdm or anyone please help http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif

SpetzNatz
05-03-2004, 12:30
Hi Max.
Nice unit, but positions of shiels and swords need to be adjusted. But you certainly know this.

Duke John.
May I ask you for some favour? I like your units and I want to learn 3D moddeling, could you tell me what tool do you use for it, and send me some sample units to open and test it? I'm totally confused (as everyone who is trying something new) and it could really help. Thank you. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

SpetzNatz
05-03-2004, 12:32
What do you want to help with? I've tried to answer you but when it isn't enough...

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 12:35
well i can't download the free demo sorry if i'm annoying you but i just think that's not right, duke john can you please answer mine and spetznatz quries/problems/questions

SpetzNatz
05-03-2004, 12:59
Demo of what? Medieval or Fall of Rome? Mod is downloadable here http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt/MTW/Stats/Fall_of_Rome20.zip but demo of Medieval, I thing http://www.3ddownloads.com/?direct....TW_Demo (http://www.3ddownloads.com/?directory=/strategy-gaming/totalwar/MTW_Demo/) zou must have all files in single folder, than doubleclick MTW_Demo.zip and if it opens (you must have at least Windows ME) copy files it contains elsewhere.

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 13:25
of nero burning rom there's a free demo for it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-juggle.gif

SicilianVespers
05-03-2004, 13:29
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ May 03 2004,02:47)]A_B. Sicilian Vespers.

I'm testing the Crusade/Barbarian invasion feature modified with your suggestions.... and it works

Now the game is much more fun

Max,
I have to go to a meeting, so I cant write much. I have been testing the crusades, with the Papists renamed to the Heruli, and starting in Sweden (I believe they lived in Sweden and on the Danube?).

This is a nice way to simulate Odoacer/Odovacar's take over of Italy for the years prior to Justinian.

I will send you the new lbm/bifs soon, I finished them over the weekend.

dimitrios the samian
05-03-2004, 14:47
Hello Maximus and freinds
Your mod sounds awesome and more to come , excellent .
One question ...how long before the next major version ?
or can I get it now from mizus and expand on it later ?
cheers
Dimitrios the Samian
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 15:18
does anyone help some guy in need on this forum http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif
please i'm dying to play this mod http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-wall.gif

maximus decimus meridius
05-03-2004, 16:10
Spartacus.

Sorry i don't understand very well what is your problem, anyway to play the mod you need a fresh installation of MTW-VI 2.01.

Then you can unzip the Fall of Rome 2.0 files in your MTW folder, please FOLLOW the install instructions in the Fall of Rome zip file.

Then you can unzip the Fall of Rome 2.1 files in your MTW folder...

the mod overwrite the original MTW files.

dimitrios the samian.

the next major release will be ready in the next 2 months (i hope so...) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

King Azzole
05-03-2004, 16:12
A few questions: Will I still be able to play the BKB super mod if I install this mod? Also will it overwrite dead page coordinates?

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 16:22
so i need 2.0 and 2.1

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 16:32
do i need the nero burning rom some guy said you did http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

SpetzNatz
05-03-2004, 16:39
Nero is available for trial version.
When you install Medieval, it will be in version 1.0, than you have to install Viking Invasion and it will update game to version 2.0, than you have to install patch for Viking Invasion to 2.01.
When it is finished, you must unpack zip file with mod to your Medieval folder. Check directory structure (folders in Medieval directory should match those in zip), it should ask you if you wish to overwrite existing files (but it won't if you use Total Commander as file manager).
Afther this you can patch mod Fall of Rome with version 2.1 (see readme), but you mustn't have it. It's only suggested.

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 16:46
link or site http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif is it necessary

SpetzNatz
05-03-2004, 16:47
www.nero.com
Youneed this only when you have CD burner and want to burn some CDs, not necessary for propper functionality of Fall of Rome. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 16:54
ok i'll remember that thanks http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 17:34
how do i back-up M:TW dirctory and for unzipping do i click cut, copy or what?

answer this i'll be fine http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif please answer this

SicilianVespers
05-03-2004, 18:24
I tested the Crusades/Migrations during lunch. I played as the Visogoths, and chose Aquitania II as my target. I put over 4,000 men in the crusade, and marched right across to Aquitania. The only opposition was from the rebels in Hungary. Half way there the Suevi also declared a crusade vs Venetia.

This will definitely add to the game.

A_B & Max,
Did you just give then Barbarians chapter houses, or did you start them with Crusades?

I saved it, so I will have to take a few more turns to see if anyone else Crusades.

We should think about renaming:
Chapter House to Mead Hall or something to that effect.
Crusade to Volkerwanderung or Migration.
Catholic to Arian Christian.

What do you think?

SicilianVespers
05-03-2004, 19:32
Does anyone know how to change the Crusade icon? I found a great thumbnail picture of a Gothic eagle, that would be great in the place of the cross.

For any of you that know archeology, it is a Gothic eagle fibula. It's perfect.

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 19:49
sorry about the help questions i'm just dim at computers
but please still help i'll get the hang of it in the end http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

SicilianVespers
05-03-2004, 20:25
King Azzole,
It overwrites the original, so you will have to make a copy of MTW in another folder.

Create a folder called Fall of Rome in C:\Program files\Total War.

Copy the contents of the C:\Program files\Total War\Medieval - Total War folder (going from memory here) into the Fall of Rome folder you just created.

Unzip the Fall of Rome files into the appropriate folders.

Then just make a new desktop icon for it.

If you have BKB installed in the default folder, you may want to rename it to something like BKB, and make a fresh install. Then keep that as a base that you copy for new mods.

I have a copy called Medieval Total War base that I copy into a new folder whenever I install a new overwrite mod.

Spartacus,
I hope this helps you as well.

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 20:35
I'M ON THE COPYING BIT IT'S EASY SO FAR
and you mean the fall of rome files

SicilianVespers
05-03-2004, 21:01
The copying part is to create a second copy of MTW on your hard drive.

Then unzip the Fall of Rome files into the second copy, per the readme file.

Spartacus
05-03-2004, 21:39
how much space does this take up http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

maximus decimus meridius
05-03-2004, 22:46
King Azzole. Spartacus.

You can have the number of MTW that you want on your harddisk, so for every MTW installed you can have a different mod.

it's quite simple: install MTW-VI in the default folder (usually C:program files\Total war\Medieval Total War), after that create another folder in C:program files, for example c:program file\total war\BKB or fallofrome, then copy ALL the files of the original medieval total war folder (that you have installed before) and paste them in the new folder, create a desktop shortcut linked with the Medieval_tw.exe copied in the new folder, install the mod in the new folder ......

et voilà in this case you can have all the mods you want on your computer.

Sicilian Vespers.

I assigned only Chapter houses to germans, i have seen that within 4 or 6 turns from the start they make a crusade, i've also renamed crusades as barbarian migrations, it's ok?
i think that i could rename the Catholics as Arian, this should be moddable, i think.
Do you like the new Farae?

SpetzNaz.

Have you resolved your problems with 3d graphic software?

Strenght and Honour mates

TigerVX
05-04-2004, 04:57
I don't know why, but I lover Armenian units. The Infantry and Cavalry can go toe to toe with any legionare of Cataphact. Supported by a couple archers, and my Armenian armies are unstoppable. As tribute, I've evacuated all of my Arab units from the Armenian homelands, and it is their land forever =P. I've annihlated the Persians, crippled the Byzantines, but I've left Rome itself alone, for now anyways http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif . My Arabs are now a major power. I raided rome from Greece. Killed the Papacy (Rather easy, they have a ballistas and some Militians oO). I then razed everything and put high taxes up. I hope the Romans take the bait as theres one unit of rebel catapults there. When the romans take over, the Pope will come back with a nasty suprize for them =D. Thats it for now. I just love Jihads =D. Maybe after a while I should Jihad Rome, heh.

Anyways Maximus, the mods looking great. the new BIF for the war band looks good. Maybe, you should not only give the Germans crusades, but the other barbarians factions too such as the Franks and Vandals.

SpetzNatz
05-04-2004, 10:04
What 3D software do you mean? Readbif? No, because I plan to use some real 3D programm, like 3DS Max or Cinema 3D. It will consume vast numbers of hours, but afther that, I could be able to produce new units quite quickly. Or it should be at least faster than paint it by hand. When I realized, that I would have to paint 15*12 pictures I almost turned grey. If you do this this way, how many hours does it take to make some unit?

maximus decimus meridius
05-04-2004, 11:00
SpetzNaz.

Ok i see, 3DstudioMax or Cinema 3d maubearea the best choice, i use readbif because i haven't a real 3d design software.

I spent several hours to make the roman infantry, almost 30 i think and i haven't finished yet....

SpetzNatz
05-04-2004, 11:41
Try gMax
http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

Download of gMax:
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/gmax/gmax12.exe
Help:
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/gmax/gmax12_help.exe
Tutorials:
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/gmax/gmax12_tutorials.exe
Sample Textures:
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/gmax/library.exe

It's for free but you have to register:
http://www.discreet.com/product....n=v1.20 (http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/register/gmax_form.html?version=v1.20)

SicilianVespers
05-04-2004, 13:06
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ May 03 2004,16:46)]I assigned only Chapter houses to germans, i have seen that within 4 or 6 turns from the start they make a crusade, i've also renamed crusades as barbarian migrations, it's ok?
i think that i could rename the Catholics as Arian, this should be moddable, i think.
Do you like the new Farae?
Assigning Chapter Houses seems to work very well. Last night the Visigoths declared a crusade against my Sicily

Barbarian Invasion is fine, I was so involved in playing I didn't even notice you already renamed it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-blush.gif I finally saw it whan I went to rename it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-oops.gif

The Farae are excellent

I have already renamed the Catholics to Arians. It's in the names.txt file. I also renamed Catholic bishops to Arian bishops. Do you know what year the Franks became Catholic? they should lose the crusading ability then. By that time they are already in Gaul, so they don't need it.

Should the Orthodox be renamed to Catholic or is Orthodox ok?

Are you going to change the monetary system to Solidus/Solidii? (they were in use from 309AD to 900AD, prior to this the Aureus/Aurei were in use)

I was so involved with playing the Romans, I didn't notice all the new Babarian buildings you added, very good

SicilianVespers
05-04-2004, 13:27
Here is a thread on how to change the monetary system:

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....+change (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=5;t=14384;hl=monetary+change)

Here is some Roman monetary info, so you don't have to waste your time looking:

Gold (usually designated by the abbreviation AU):
Aureus
Quinarius
Solidus
Semissis (1/2 a Solidus)
Tremissis (1/3 a Solidus)
1 1/2 Scripulum

Silver (usually designated by the abbreviation AR):
Denarius
Antoninianus (a.k.a. Double Denarius)
Quinarius
Argenteus
Miliarense (Heavy)
Miliarense (Light)
Siliqua
Citophorus (valued at three Denarii)

TigerVX
05-05-2004, 05:26
I'm just wondering, will the Huns eventually be a playable faction? I have two Units of hun Cavalrymen as Mercenaries, and they rock But they belong to no faction, and you can't use them in custom battles. Huns where around this period (Battle of Chalons, 451 AD). Why are they not a faction like the Golden Hordes?

maximus decimus meridius
05-05-2004, 10:59
SpetzNaz.

Ok. Thanks for the links, i'll test something asap.

Sicilian Vespers.

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll make the changes. The Franks became catholics with the King Clovis (Clodoveus in latin) afetr the conquest of the Burgundy (battle of Autun, if i remember well) and the Kingdom of Syagrius (battle of Soissons).

TigerVX.

The Huns are the Bulgars and in Fall of Rome 2.1 are a playable faction.

SpetzNatz
05-05-2004, 13:29
May I ask you to send me altered files to my e-mail? v.pelcak@post.cz . I have 2.1 patch already, but those things you are writing there sound great. What If Roman religion was changed to Muslim (Islam didn't existed as far as I know, or did?) and used Jihad (renamed to something else) to reconquest lost lands. Barbarians (originally Christians) will probably make crusades more often.
BTW, may I count with you as modders for upcoming Rome: Total War? I think, that it's moddability will be even better than in MTW. If you want to make new unit you have to make it's 3d model (or spend rest of live with painting by hand).

SicilianVespers
05-05-2004, 13:43
Max,
I followed the directions in the link to change Florins to Solidii last night. It was very easy, thanks to LOS.

SpetzNatz
05-05-2004, 14:16
I didn't know, you've had such problem. I've managed to change Florins to Nomisma recently.

SicilianVespers
05-05-2004, 16:38
SpetzNatz,
It was no problem at all to change Florins, it's all in the thread posted above.

I think we will still need Islam as a religion for the later campaigns in the 600's.

Max,
If you send me your names.txt file when you complete all your changes, I can customize the kings for each campaign thru the heroes files. Assuming you haven't done it already.

I like how you just gave the barbarians forenames, very nice touch.

maximus decimus meridius
05-05-2004, 18:10
SpetzNaz. Sicilian Vespers.

I can send you the \Loc\altered files and the Crusader_unit/Crusader_build altered files. these files are already a beta version of Fall of Rome 3.0.

I have also a beta version of the 304AD campaign, Constantine the great vs maxentius.

ok?

..But in the Crusader_unit file there is already many links to the new custom unitgraphics that i want to put in next release, so this could be a problem for you.

about the modding of Rome TW ... i would like to try, so for me is ok.

about the jihad ... i think that muslim factions are necessary for the game, besides the romans at the end of the empire were in deep diffculties to enlist armies (even small..)and legions, so giving them the possibilities to make jihads would not be historically correct.

SicilianVespers
05-05-2004, 21:55
Max,
You can send them to ariete@netzero.net

I will make a faction_specific and heroes file for each campaign. For the names.txt, is Constantine the earliest you are planning on going? It's better to get all the names in the file now, so in the future we only have to change the heroes file for new campaigns.

Are there any other dual purpose factions like the Huns/Bulgars you want me take care of?

Constantine vs Maxentius is a great choice for a new campaign

SpetzNatz,
I would be glad to help with RTW.

maximus decimus meridius
05-07-2004, 08:31
SpetzNaz. Sicilian Vespers.

I'm not in home in these days, so i'll send you the files asap, i think sunday.

SicilianVespers
05-07-2004, 12:55
I have relatives coming to visit from out of town next week, so I will probably not have much time on the computer. I will try to get them back to you as soon as I can.

Were you going to add the Picts in Scotland, and the Scotti in Ireland?

maximus decimus meridius
05-11-2004, 13:39
Hi all.

I've almost finished the roman heavy infantry, so i'll post tomorrow an image of the new Praetorian unit.

ShadesPanther
05-11-2004, 20:52
Please do
*rubs hands with glee* http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

maximus decimus meridius
05-12-2004, 09:20
ok.

These are the new Praetorian units. They are clad in mail armour, the shield is taken from a silver dish with an image of Stilicho, Magister Militum (general) of the Western Roman army under the Emperor Honorius.

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/FALL_OF_ROME_3.0_PRAETORIANI.JPG

max

SpetzNatz
05-12-2004, 13:22
Quite nice. Did you try that gMax? I've got your files, will it work or do I have to modify it?

maximus decimus meridius
05-12-2004, 14:01
Hi SpetzNaz.

The files i've sent you work enough well, they are only a beta of next mod version.

Sorry i haven't tried Gmax, i'm very busy in these days.

Have you already made anything about new unitgraphic Sassanian cavalry files?

SicilianVespers
05-15-2004, 22:00
Max,
I just emailed you the updated files containing the historic rulers, and new LBM/BIF's I promised.

The Praetorians look excellent

Hansi
05-16-2004, 10:11
Hi all,

my 3d download is malfuctioning. Is there any other way for downloading this amazing mod.

greets

ShadesPanther
05-16-2004, 13:15
http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt/Mstats.shtml

this is the button called files which is beside your control panel button. And then under stats

SpetzNatz
05-17-2004, 13:09
Hi Max.
I've tried gMax. I've made very basic model of horse, but my PC's performance is quite low, so I wold rather make pictures of game ends and so on. I haven't much free time, because I have to pass some important exams.

I've tried to use files you sent me. I had to remove all links referring to fn_roman, and it worked.

But I've found few bugs.
Roman colour is still white, so I had to change it to 192 0 0.
Other problem is with Emperor's unit (Domesti-something). It's icon is missing, and it freezes game (fortunately, I know that defreeze key -> Space-Bar).
Another problem is with Visigoths. Their kings weren't so good commanders. They should have max 3 stars while Romans should have some good commander. If I want to change it on my own, which file do I have to alter?
Is it correct when Romans can train Praetorians? Weren't they disbanded?

maximus decimus meridius
05-17-2004, 14:33
Hi SpetzNaz.

The Domestici have a new unitgraphic file that i am making so, i think, you have to assign them another unitgraphic in order to work properly.. the same thing with the .bif and .lbm files associated with the unit.

about the commanders, i'm working on this problem but i haven't resolved it yet, sorry....

Praetorians were disbanded in 307-311ad (i don't remember very well..) by Constantine the Great, after the victory over Maxentius.
In the game only the Maxentian Romans can build them..

About your models ... very good news, i see i haven't tried to use gMax yet.

SicilianVespers
05-17-2004, 14:56
Max,
Did you get my files? There are four files that contain the King data.

311ad_heroes.txt
375ad_heroes.txt
430ad_heroes.txt
527ad_heroes.txt

The stats are under the famous kings section.

If you let me know what you want changed, I can take care of it.

Make sure you copy the files from the last two emails, or it will not work properly.

The second corrects a problem with the translation of barbarian surnames, and the last contains the Avar kings (I forgot about them).

King Azzole
05-17-2004, 20:00
Hi I was wondering if you are gonna make a period that starts near the beginning of roman power, like 100-200 years before christ? That would be cool to have to forge the empire yourself.

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
05-17-2004, 20:26
it is not possible to mod that you cannot go BC.

CZoF

King Azzole
05-17-2004, 22:23
Regardless you can start the game in like 1 AD. And put in readme this means 200 BC so the years would literally mean 1AD it would mean 1st year of the empire, etc.

maximus decimus meridius
05-18-2004, 08:50
Sicilian Vespers.

I've tested Yesterday the 374ad campaign(western romans), you are made a really good work the game now seems to be more realistic

the .lbm and .bif files are great can you make also the same for Praetorians and Domestici? I've some problems with the .lbm files

this mod grows very well

SicilianVespers
05-18-2004, 13:18
Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ May 18 2004,02:50)]the .lbm and .bif files are great can you make also the same for Praetorians and Domestici? I've some problems with the .lbm files

this mod grows very well

The Praetorians are no problem.

Did you make the Domestici Equites or Pedites? The shield is almost the same for both.

maximus decimus meridius
05-18-2004, 15:52
I made the domestici pedites, the shield is taken from the Notitia Dignitatum slightly modified.

I'll send you two images about the Domestici and Praetorians. I think that I'll send you the stuff tomorrow cause i'm modifing my pc today.

maximus decimus meridius
05-19-2004, 11:02
All.

Yesterday my main HD failed so i think i will not be online for the next days.....

ParthianWarrior
05-19-2004, 14:28
Was the Mod Saved? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

maximus decimus meridius
05-19-2004, 14:47
Yes on my second HD ......

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

ParthianWarrior
05-20-2004, 03:25
Just a question..Sheesh..

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-confused.gif

King Azzole
05-20-2004, 04:05
I dont think he meant offense, I think he was rolling eyes at the stupid problem not you. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-gossip.gif But then again I always assume the best with people.

maximus decimus meridius
05-20-2004, 09:13
OOPs Parthian Warrior I made a mistake, i've choosed the wrong emoticon... i'm sorry ....

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-oops.gif

... anyway the mod is saved, i've substituted the main HD, now i'm online again.

SicilianVespers
05-20-2004, 13:27
Max,
I found a problem with the 3.0 Justinian campaign.

The culture of the rebel West Roman provinces needs to be set to ORTHODOX.

The campaign was aborting with a placing unit in wrong culture type message. I changed Brittany, Burgundy, Provence, and Navarre to Orthodox and the campaign started up Just fine.

All I have left is the portraits issue, and the Praetorian/Domestici .lbm's and .bifs. but I think I need to add more names to the Germanic factions, there are too many duplicate names showing up.

I also want to to add a few heroes like Stilicho, Belisarius, Narses, and Gundahar (374ad) & Gundioc (430ad) in Burgundy to use the Rex Burgundiorum provincial title.

I will resend all the files as soon as I am done.

maximus decimus meridius
05-20-2004, 14:32
ok i see.

i'm agrre with you , i will do some other tests tonight.

Petronius
05-23-2004, 16:17
This is the best Rome mod out there. Keep up the good work, guys :D

Hross af Guttenburg
05-24-2004, 01:16
hi maximus, and gang. guess the new version is close. here's my news report...
i saw their was talk of portraits maybe you meant my sketches? i'm not too sure about them, i've had real problems with those i gave you Maximus, so as an alternative i suggest the following: that certain portrait overwrites can be made and by pasting the viking invasion portraits into the catholic and orthodox folders of the medieval ones AND using actual viking faction portraits for the germanic tribes it should start looking more like realistic. the roman and byz factions will still use medieval era portraits so that they look 'civilised,' the steppes factions can of course use folders with mongol portraits. its a shame i cant sort out the problems with my sketches, unless anyone else knows why perfectly good tgas sometimes turn up as black screens. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-inquisitive.gif i was particularly proud of the roman and hunnic portraits -they took ages to find. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

*question) is a new map tga actually going to have the roman names on it?
that would be cool

i think my battle maps are going to take a long time, so they will probably NOT make the next version.

im working on cleaning up the faction and unit descriptions so that they vary between campaigns and tell more of the historical story.

vespers, those heroes sound perfect -just what the mod needs great ps the Byzantines also need more variety in names?

SicilianVespers
05-24-2004, 03:25
Hross,
We have actually overridden the Germanic Barbarian factions to use the Vikings/Vikings portraits. The Roman, Bosporan, and Romano-British to use the Vikings/Catholic, and the Huns, Avars, etc are using the original Pagan.

I was also considering the creation of a Romanized portrait type with the Vikings/Catholic portraits for all but the Kings and Princes, who would draw their portraits from the Vikings portrait set. This could be used for the Lombards, Ostrogoths, Visigoths, and Franks once they begin assimiating into the Roman population.

maximus decimus meridius
05-24-2004, 10:55
Sicilian Vespers.

Hi, have you tried to play the 304ad campaign? if so, have you had any ctd playing with the Maxentius' Romans?.

Yesterday I tried the 304ad campaign, playing with Maxentius, and when i tried to make a tactical battle the game done a ctd during the 3d battle loading.....

but i can't see where is the mistake...

I think that there is something wrong in .lbm or .bif files, or maybe in faction colours... what do you think?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

maximus decimus meridius
05-24-2004, 11:33
.... Also the Custom battle for the 304 ad campaign doesn't work, in the prebattle faction choice screen doesn't appear the Roman Maxentian shield ......

.. but I've made it

I don't understand.

SicilianVespers
05-24-2004, 12:08
Max,
I haven't been able to play 304ad yet, I am missing alot of the files for this campaign.

I was able to get the game to load (to the strategic map) by creating the shields, But I don't have the Praetoriani, Domestici & Catafractarii graphics.

I think missing lbm & bifs will cause the game to stop while loading in battles. I had to copy the Catafractarii from Sarmatiancav to get around it.

Let me take another look.

Hross af Guttenburg
05-24-2004, 12:27
cool. great minds think alike then. but i think the medieval portratis still suit the romanic factions better, as even the germanicised romans would still have looked pretty un-german,and more metropolitan.

but a few things spring to mind, shouldnt the german factions actually be a pagan religion as in vikings for the first earliest campaign?

i think that barques should not be available to german factions either, just the longboat classes. what about some factions having berserks? -vandals? or even small unit types like the 'sword saint' in the new shogun mod, a hero who acts like a second general, pagan shamans could also be used who cannot fight well but stand on the battlefield and add to the morale of the troops.

maximus decimus meridius
05-24-2004, 13:23
Hi Hross.

In that period some of the german tribes were pagan and some were christian arian, i considered all the german tribes as christian mainly because in this case they can use the crusading feature to simulate barbarian invasions.

German and Danish will be able to build berserkers in the 3.0 version

cheers

max

SicilianVespers
05-24-2004, 13:44
Max,
I tried the 304ad campaign. I attacked Burgundy with Maxentius' stack. It CTD'ed with the following missing prebat shield:

Textures\Campmap\PrebatShields\sh21.bif (i forgot to copy this when i copied the others)

Did you take care of the Catafractarii? I had to copy the sarmatiancav lbm & bif to catafractarii lbm & bif earlier to get the game to load.

In a previous test I invaded Provence, and got a message about the custom0 files. I think it said something about RomanoBritsh warbands. I think this was as the Ostrogoths in 527ad. It skipped the battle, but did not CTD.

The units that I know of that had missing lbm/bif files:
Praetoriani
Domestici
Catafractarii
RomanoBritishWB

I would make sure you have both files for all these.

Did you want me to create Romano-British warbands lbm & bif? I didn't see them in the files you sent. Will they have the white shield with red cross?

maximus decimus meridius
05-24-2004, 16:32
Sicilian Vespers.

I sent you only the complete files for the light roman infantry (auxilia, milites limitanei and so on), i'll send you the files of heavy roman infantry and roman heavy cavalry (cata), so you game will be a real 3.0 beta.
(The files aren't complete at 100%)
sorry i sent you only the unitgraphics files and not the reviewpanel and infopics cause the limits of mailbox.

I think i'll send them tomorrow, this evening it's impossible for me... sorry

and yes please do the Roamnobritish wb bif and lbm files, they have a white shield with red a Chi.Rho image (X and P, with the P on the X, i think you known this).
thanks

maximus decimus meridius
05-25-2004, 11:14
Sicilian Vespers.

I tried again the 304ad campaign playing with the Maxentius Romans, these are theresults:

turn 1 - i attack the Burgundy with a Maxentian's stack (8/9 units), the Constantine troops retire in the castle.

turn 2 - my army siege the castle

turn 3 - my army assault the castle, Constantine send a rescue army, i go in tactical battle, the battle works

ok

another attempt, same campaign, same year,

turn 1 - I attack the Burgundy with a Maxentian's stack (8/9 units), the Constantine troops retire in the castle.

turn 2 - assault the castle, i go in the tactical battle and while the battle is loading i have a CTD

I don't understand http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

i have all the banners in the correct folders...

SicilianVespers
05-25-2004, 12:18
Were Constantine's Domestici present in either battle?

I double checked the LBM's and they seem to be in the correct format.

Have you tried testing it from Constantine's side?

SpetzNatz
05-25-2004, 13:40
Hi Max.
I've tested FoR, campaign 430. There are my experience.
Pretty hard (in expert difficulty). I've tried this game 5x as Roman, and 5x lost, few lost battles caused Civil war and my empire has fallen.
So, I've changed strategy, I've hired some mercenaries and attacked Visigoths ASAP. Yes, I've lost few battles (beginning is pretty hard), but I've managed to repel them from Aquitania, but they've managed to capture Ille de France (Narbonensis I?), I've besieged it and defeated them. Another attack went to the last Visigoth province - Toulouse (that province in Atlantic Coast) and lost, but their casualties were so heavy that second attack meant their end. Now I hold whole Italy (of course), whole France (Franks hold one province and will live as long as I will wont), whole Spain (Vandals repelled, Swabians annihilated), Greece (Achaia), Bulgaria and Constantinople (Byzantium). I'm also proceeding against Germans, Ostrogoths and Persians (who destroyed Byzantines).
I've encountered few bugs. I've built some building in Liguria, it enabled some new unit-training options, but i have CTD, when I try to enter training panel there. It might be because of Praetoriani. I think, that they should be removed from game. If not, they should be trainable only in Rome, shouldn't they?

SpetzNatz
05-25-2004, 14:40
Hi Max. When you are dealing with heroes. There's cool tool. http://www.totalwar.org/Downloa....1.0.zip (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/MTWHeroCreator1.0.zip)

maximus decimus meridius
05-25-2004, 15:27
Sicilian Vespers.

the Domestici were present, i'll test the Constantine side.

SpetzNaz.

I'll try to do what you made, in order to resolve the bugs you encountered.
I hope to tell you something in the next days.

SicilianVespers
05-26-2004, 03:58
Max,
I copied the LegioCom files to create the Domestici & Praetoriani, and the SarmatianCav to create the Catafractarii.

After doing this, I was able to test the 311ad campaign, and everything worked fine. I tried two battles, attacking Burgundy with the Maxentius stack both times. No CTD, but I don't have the new heavy infantry graphics.

There is a problem with Maxentius, he has a 7 star command, I set it to 3 in the heroes files. If you change his vnv to pride (it is defender3 right now) it will drop it down to 3.

Have you gotten any further with the CTD problem?

maximus decimus meridius
05-26-2004, 11:38
Sicilian Vespers.

I have tested the 311ad campaign playing with Constantine ...
i've attacked the maxentians in burgubndy, and .. bang CTD

I think that maybe there is something wrong in my MTW-.exe file, so i've decided to create a new MTW-VI folder from the fresh installation of MTW-VI ....

I've sent you the correct roman light infantry files just now, they should work (i hope).

i'm happy that your MTW_VI fall of rome works fine.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

i'll correct the Maxentian stats

max

Hross af Guttenburg
05-26-2004, 19:16
could we get a report on the heroes so far?
heres some i'd personally enjoy seeing:

attila
bleda
rugila

aetius

theoderic/theodrid of chalons
respendial (alan leader led the burgundians after fall of gundobad)
hengest and horsa (anglo saxons)
theoderic the great
maybe even germanic legendary heroes like widia/vidigoia (gothic general of theoderic)or waldhere?

SicilianVespers
05-27-2004, 03:16
I'm back Thank you Tosa

Hross,
So far we just have Gundahar and Gundioc as Burgundian Foederati of the Romans.

I will try to get more added this week.

SicilianVespers
05-27-2004, 15:06
Max,
I am only getting CTD's in castle assaults. Everything else seems to work fine.

Have you noticed this as well?

Dr_No
05-27-2004, 16:56
Top mod mate- it really rocks http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

nice tie over until RTW

only surprising thing was the really high defensive value you've given to the 'barbarian hordes/warbands et al'.. though suppose that's why they whupped rome in the end- numbers and attrition (political and internal meltdown aside of course http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )

keep it up, look forward to the update http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

maximus decimus meridius
05-27-2004, 22:28
Sicilian Vespers.

Yes i had CTD in castle assault, now i changed the vnv value for Maxentius and i haven't CTD during the castle assault in Burgundy .....

Maybe there is a link between the vnv value and the CTDs ??

SicilianVespers
05-28-2004, 02:12
Max,
Right now I am getting the CTD on all the castle assaults. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

I'm going to search a little to see if there is anything on the forum.

SicilianVespers
05-29-2004, 02:31
I tested the 374ad campaign, and it CTD'ed in the castle assault. This time it gave me a message about hard sprite failed to load

Zanderpants
05-29-2004, 19:16
Okay, this may be a bit blasphemous, but I think that after a few improvements, Fall of Rome will be better than Hellinic: Total War. I love Hellinic: Total War, but Fall of Rome just has a different feel to it. No, Fall of Rome doesn't have all the amazing new units that HTW has, nor is it groundbreaking, but it's just damn fun. Just my opinion.

Hross af Guttenburg
05-30-2004, 00:43
ditto http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

but guys are you sure you dont want to use historical portraits? it would add a much deeper and more characteristic feel to the game, just as all the great mods have:....HTW, NTW....

I've got all these tga's faces, paintings, coins, germanic helmets, artefacts...all kinds of things that look really good. maybe one of you computer geniuses can sort out the ctds or black screens i keep getting when using my alternative set?
example of roman portraits:

http://thepaolas.com/Emperors/Emperors/Scans/Maxentius.jpghttp://thepaolas.com/Emperors/Emperors/Scans/Claudius_Gothicus.jpg

huns:
http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/huns/dk_hunnic/i_hunnic_g60_dk_o.jpghttp://www.grifterrec.com/coins/huns/i_heph_226_o.jpg

sassanids/persians:
http://www.livius.org/a/1/iran/shapur_ii_bust.jpg
http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/sassanids/hormizd_ii.jpg

hope this gives you all something to consider.....http://www.livius.org/a/1/iran/sass_louvre.jpg

maximus decimus meridius
05-30-2004, 09:46
Sicilian Vespers.

About the hard sprite failed to load phrase, I think that the game don't find the right unitgraphics .bif file , i have had the same message a few months ago and the problem was what i said above.

Hross.

these portrait are great i think that we can do a poll ...

should we employ the Viking expansion portraits or archeological portraits?

please guys vote

Petronius
05-30-2004, 18:35
I personally think that the statues and coins are a good idea, as well as perhaps using miniatures for portraits like they did in Patrician (about the only good think about it :D). For barbarians though, you might wanna just use Viking stuff.

kataphraktoi
06-01-2004, 05:23
Hey guys, great job. I'm wondering what program u used to edit thye BIF files...

SpetzNatz
06-01-2004, 11:35
I think that Readbif. But when I try to use it for importing of pictures, it produces something pretty ugly.

Gladiuslegion
06-01-2004, 16:29
Can anybody help me ?

I have installed the Mod correctly but when i will start the Game i get only following Message in a Popup Window :

Unknown Faction specified : column 20, row 8
FN_EGYPTIAN

What do i wrong ?????

P.S. Sorry for my english.

maximus decimus meridius
06-01-2004, 23:58
Have you installed Fall of rome 2.0 or 2.1?

Have you installed Fall of rome on a fresh installation of MTW-VI?

Zanderpants
06-02-2004, 04:38
I had the same problem. You have to download both Fall of Rome files at the Org download center.

Gladiuslegion
06-02-2004, 19:45
I had installed a Fresh version of Medieval VI and i had installed 2.0 and 2.1 but the same Problem

Is it possible that the Problem is that i have the German Version from Medieval an VI ????

SicilianVespers
06-03-2004, 03:38
Gladiuslegion,
Did you copy the contents of loc\eng to the German loc folder?

maximus decimus meridius
06-03-2004, 11:29
GladiusLegion.

Sicilian Vespers is right, try to copy all the loc\eng files in your loc\german folder.

now it should work

Gladiuslegion
06-03-2004, 16:42
OK....i have also copy the Eng/Loc files to the German/loc ...........

It doesent work http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

The same Message as before..... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-wall.gif

Hross af Guttenburg
06-06-2004, 11:29
so Maximus, do you want these portraits?

maximus decimus meridius
06-08-2004, 08:58
After a brief holiday i'm online again....

Hross.

Yes i want, have you again stability problems with them?

GladiusLegion.

this is very strange.. the message you get is about something wrong in the Crusader_unit prod file ... but my 2.1 version of this file works well.

Are you sure to have installed all properly?
Are you sure to have downloaded the files without any problems (i don't know, download corruption for instance..)?

Gladiuslegion
06-08-2004, 15:57
Mmmmmmmmm.......i think there was all fine as i have downloaded the files.

OK......i will download again all the files and see what happens

But Thank you for your help

maximus decimus meridius
06-09-2004, 08:54
Ok

Good Luck

Hross af Guttenburg
06-09-2004, 23:01
Yepp I still have issues ...unfortunately i havent tested them anymore since the first few times...i thought no one wanted them... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif
besides my times been taken up with this new naval total war mod we're working on.
i think the best thing i can do is send them to you and Vespers who are better modders than I and see what you want, dont want and what you can fix in the bugs there...
but i can get them to you in zip files as soon as you want....i did put them in the uploads section a month or two back, if you remember...maybe you never got them?

maximus decimus meridius
06-11-2004, 13:48
Ok Hross, I've got them thanks

Steppe Merc
06-14-2004, 22:53
Looks like a pretty cool mod. Just out of courosity, what is the factions (besides Rome)?

maximus decimus meridius
06-15-2004, 08:47
Romano-British
Visigoths
Ostrogoths
Huns/Bulgars
Eastern Romans
Franks
Danish
Anglo-Saxons
Vandals
Lombards
Khazars
Magyars
Bosphorans
Persians
Arabs
Swabians
Germans

Steppe Merc
06-15-2004, 20:08
Unmm. looked in stats, but can't find the dl links? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif
edit: Never mind, found em. Installing now. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ceasaryes.gif

Steppe Merc
06-15-2004, 21:03
When will the new version be out? (3.0 I guess)
edit: Oh, in the new version, will you make some of the non-Roman faction's unit's provence specific? I know that alot of tribes absorbed their enemies rather than killed them.

maximus decimus meridius
06-16-2004, 09:06
There will be some units buildable in specific countries like Burgundian infantry, Saxon infantry, Romano british warbands, sarmatian cavalry and infantry, Heruli and rugian infantry etc. etc., but i think there will not be absorbed units (like ex roman troops), that's why barbarian kingdom can bribe roman units in the game.

The next version will be ready within the next two months, i'm very busy in this period....

06-16-2004, 12:34
Good luck with it Max, really enjoyed the fall of rome, very fun and great battles http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

SpetzNatz
06-16-2004, 17:24
Hi Max.
I must regrettably inform you that I'm not able to make anything in 3d, but I'm willing to send you that basic model in gMax format as well as do some graphics like GameEnds or so and translation to Czech. I know that I've promised it and Word makes Man, but any attempts to continue in it failed because of low performance of my PC. Sorry.

Prince Tryphon
06-16-2004, 19:47
Where can i get this ad on please post a link, Thank you every much

Party on http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/barrel.gif

Prince Tryphon

P.S This mod sounds AWESOME.

Prince Tryphon
06-16-2004, 19:52
Is there a self installer for the two?
cause I don't know how to add it to my comp

Thanks

Free Eire
06-16-2004, 22:06
Pardon my ignorance, but where can I download this mod? All the links seem to be down. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-confused.gif

Prince Tryphon
06-17-2004, 02:02
This mod rocks, Is there a self installer, I don't know how to make it install, due to that I am a noob when it comes to modding, and so on and so forth.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ceasaryes.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/barrel.gif

discovery1
06-17-2004, 04:59
Cut and pasted from FoR 2.0 Readme:

Installation Instructions:

You need a fresh installation of Medieval - Total war VI 2.01.
THE MOD WILL OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL FILES OF MTW-VI, so BACKUP THEM

Then:

Unzip Fall_of_Rome20_MAIN in your Medieval - Total war directory
unzip Fall_of_Rome20_Infopics_reviewpanel in your Medieval - Total war\campmap directory
unzip Fall_of_Rome20_starpos_shields_pieces_parch in your Medieval - Total war\campmap directory

unzip Fall_of_Rome20PortraitsPaganEmissary1
unzip Fall_of_Rome20PortraitsPaganEmissary2 in your Medieval - Total war\campmap\Portraits\Pagan\Emissary (create it first ) directory

unzip Fall_of_Rome20PortraitsPaganPrincess1
unzip Fall_of_Rome20PortraitsPaganPrincess2 in your Medieval - Total war\campmap\Portraits\Pagan\Princess (create it first ) directory

Unzip Fall_of_Rome20_Textures_campmap in your Medieval - Total war\Textures\campmap directory

Unzip ALL Fall_of_Rome20_men in your Medieval - Total war\Textures\men directory
Unzip ALL Fall_of_Rome20_menItems in your Medieval - Total war\Textures\men directory

maximus decimus meridius
06-17-2004, 08:41
All.

Thanks to Discovery1 for the install explanations. Sorry there isn't a self installer.
You can download the mod in the Files & FAQ's page.

SptzNaz.

No problems for the 3d models, but do you think that would it be possible for you to make some little 2D modifications on the original unitgraphics (Smailcav i think ..) to make Sassanid cavalry?

06-17-2004, 11:04
Max, are planning to release an update? Those new units you were working were looking sweet http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

SpetzNatz
06-17-2004, 11:31
Max.
What if I extract files from this file, try to alter them and send them to you in zip. Every attempt to get tga or bmp pics to that bif format made something, what couldn't be taken seriously.

maximus decimus meridius
06-17-2004, 13:47
BKB.

I'm not planning to release an update, there will be a 3.0 version that will not be compatible with the old one.

Spetznaz.

Ok. i think that you can try.

kataphraktoi
06-17-2004, 17:14
Are there any new buildings in Fall of Rome total war???

Julius Caesar
06-17-2004, 17:21
i think there are new buildings but i dont remember.

Prince Tryphon
06-17-2004, 17:24
Max, you have made my dream come true, by creating this mod. Although I have not downloaded it, and if I do I'll probably screw up in installing it. Here's a suggesstion, in the next version, maybe you could include a self-installer? And do you have a tech tree for this mod? Because when I was playing medmod, I was clueless on what I could create and build, and what not.

Thank you http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif,

Prince Tryphon

Prince Tryphon
06-17-2004, 18:55
Max can you please tell me where the Medieval Total war directory is?

Thanks

/Edit/

You know this is hard, so ill just wait for a self installer if your going to maike one

/Edit/

maximus decimus meridius
06-18-2004, 08:28
kataphraktoi.

I added some Viking Invasion building to create two small tech tree for German Kingdom and Pagan tribes.

Prince Tryphon.

Hi Probably there will not be a self installer in the next version of Fall of Rome, sorry ... also you can find MTW folder in your Program Files/Total war directory (if i remember well).
Have i understood well your question?

SpetzNatz
06-18-2004, 09:35
Hi Max.
I have some ideas.

I think, that organization of files in zip file of your mod is really quite confusing, what if you create such folder system in that zip file, that only think that will player have to do is to unpack all files from zip file to his MTW directory and all is done. If you wish I can make self installer for you. I would do this with NSIS (installer for Winamp).
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

Prince Tryphon
06-18-2004, 15:58
That would be awesome I have been waiting to play a mod like this one for months now.Max please let him make one http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

Steppe Merc
06-18-2004, 23:03
Playing the Sarmatians, and loving it. But shouldn't they be pagan, having more in common with Khazar, Huns etc. than Romans/Byzantines?

UBSamual
06-19-2004, 19:29
Hi, loving the mod, A provence from rome with all of modern day france and most of spain under my belt. Version 3 looks fun.

Only question I have is: Is there a tech tree somewhere? I am kind of winging it with my buildings since I am unsure which are useless and such. If there isnt a tech tree currently, than one released with version 3.0 would be steller. I'll play with or without, just with would be preferable.

Thx. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-book2.gif