PDA

View Full Version : No good games being released in 2004?

Haethurn
04-24-2004, 16:17
Is it just me, or are there no good games being released in 2004? Other than Half-Life 2 and Rome: Total War there are no games in sight that interest me. It seems like everyone is just making the same sort of game, like there aren't any new ideas floating around, and the only fun games I have to play are the ones I bought in 2003 and before that.

What's wrong here? Are there ANY original and fun games being made in 2004 other than Half-Life 2 and Rome: Total War? If not, then why?

Leet Eriksson
04-24-2004, 17:29
i thought the worst years of gaming were 2003 and 2002,nothing interesting besides Medieval Total War was on the market.

anyways what you mention are mainstream you should check game sites and read up on some other games besides the mainstream ones.2004 has many interesting games,some already came out and some are coming soon,you should checkup on www.gamespot.com or www.gamespy.com ,also try www.gametrailers.com and www.bluesnews.com the former has trailers on some PC and console games while the latter has news exclusively for PC games.

nightcrawlerblue
04-24-2004, 17:43
HL2 will probably come out in 2005 (knowing big games).

The only games I am looking at are RTW and Evil Genius.

Copperhead
04-24-2004, 17:49
What looks like it could be a very inventive game is Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

The makers have said that they are working on a completely artificial world for the player to participate in. I think it said in a review that nothing is hardcoded. When playing the beta PC Zone did the same thing three times, the first two times when they attacked a small group of men the men reacted in completely different ways and then the third time the group of men wasn't even there showing the unpredicatability of the game.

It is also meant to be extremely open ended, about 8 possible endings I think. I think this looks set to be a classic game, not sure when it will be out though so I don't know whether it falls into the category of 2004 games or 2005 onwards.

This along with R:TW and HL2 and Doom3 ought to make for a good year.

Beirut
04-24-2004, 18:58
If you are a flightsim-head, these are glorious days.

Il2 became IL2-FB, and now the ACE expansion pack has just arrived with Spitfires, P-38s and better naval action. These are the be all - end all of WWII flight sim games. All else is stone knives and bear skins.

In the fall, there will be another IL2 expansion pack or stand alone flight sim that uses an updated but similar engine, Pacific Fighters, with all that scenario entails; B-29s, carriers, a huge Midway map to fly in. After that we expect Battle Of Britain, again using the same, but updated engine and style. This is looking to be the cat's whiskers of the Battle of Britain scenario sims.

There are also two very nice looking WWI flight sims on the horizon. Also, Lock-On and Falcon 4 continue to be updated and may also see expasion packs available.

Not for years now have we had a new and excellent batch of flight sims come out in such numbers. Great time to buy a flightstick for your PC.

The Wizard
04-24-2004, 21:25
Well, there are indeed no games that interest me past Black and White 2 and Rome Total War, but that doesn't bother me. Gaming doesn't hold the charm that it once had, but then again I am growing older.

Maybe there'll be some interesting games on the consoles...

~Wiz

Haethurn
04-24-2004, 22:48
I know about all of the games mentioned in here, it's just that none of them appeal to me. I'm looking for the Next Big Thing. 2004 doesn't seem to have any.

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-24-2004, 23:39
Quote[/b] (Copperhead @ April 24 2004,17:49)]What looks like it could be a very inventive game is Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

The makers have said that they are working on a completely artificial world for the player to participate in. I think it said in a review that nothing is hardcoded. When playing the beta PC Zone did the same thing three times, the first two times when they attacked a small group of men the men reacted in completely different ways and then the third time the group of men wasn't even there showing the unpredicatability of the game.

It is also meant to be extremely open ended, about 8 possible endings I think. I think this looks set to be a classic game, not sure when it will be out though so I don't know whether it falls into the category of 2004 games or 2005 onwards.

This along with R:TW and HL2 and Doom3 ought to make for a good year.
I was going to mention Stalker. Just making your own way in a post apocalyptic landscape sounds fantastic.

Sjakihata
04-25-2004, 00:06
Look out for a game called Brothers In Arms. To view a screen shot check here (http://forum.go-legion.com/viewtopic.php?t=302)

RisingSun
04-25-2004, 00:23
Holy cannoli That's beautiful

Two words: Roma Victor. (http://www.roma-victor.com)

Shahed
04-25-2004, 03:05
There are lots of great games coming out this fall, all depends where your interest lies.

Haethurn
04-25-2004, 03:35
Quote[/b] (Sinan @ April 24 2004,21:05)]There are lots of great games coming out this fall, all depends where your interest lies.
Let's say I like historically based games. I can still play First Person Shooters, but they are becoming more and more boring to me as I delve deeper and deeper into turn based strategy games like Medieval: Total War and Civ III. Actually, scratch that, I hate First Person Shooters. I'm bored with the Rainbow Six style games, the World War II shoot-em-ups, and the Sci-Fi-Deathmatch-Action-Thriller nonsense. I've grown out of it and it's all crap to me now.

I don't play sim games...I might play some RPGs, but I do NOT like Dungeons and Dragons...I'm more of a Fallout-type person.

So are there any non-fantasy rpgs or historically based strategy games (other than R:TW) coming out this year that are any good?

Obex
04-25-2004, 06:58
im looking forward to thief 3, despite a disappointment with deus ex 2.

Fragony
04-25-2004, 08:29
Stalker will be awesome, just the setting is enough to cater to my post-apocalyptic needs with fallout 3 cancelled. I *hope* that Thief 3 will be good, even without rope arrows http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif For the consoles, resident evil 4 looks very good, even rivaling pc in the graphic department. I do not know much about killer7, but I will buy it for the style alone. I love cell shaded games, and this looks really 'hardcore'

Basileus
04-25-2004, 12:50
2004 is a good year man, HL2 Doom 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R Rome:Totalwar the new Pirates, farCry many others aswell, go 2004 even though its a year i dont have lots of time to play games

The Wizard
04-25-2004, 13:11
Oops, forgot Dungeon Siege II. Man, that game looks cool

~Wiz

[DnC]
04-25-2004, 16:15
Citaat[/b] (Basileus @ April 25 2004,07:50)]2004 is a good year man, HL2 Doom 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R Rome:Totalwar the new Pirates, farCry many others aswell, go 2004 even though its a year i dont have lots of time to play games
Yesterday I bought Farcry and it has a few annoying, better said, frustating bugs (sometimes unable to move to a certain direction untill I let go of a few keys). It does on the other hand have some very good elements in the game.

Anyways, besides RTW the only game I'm really waiting for is Thief III: Deadly Shadows and thinking about possibly buying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The last time I read about it it was supposed to come out somewhere in the last quarter this year.

Haethurn
04-25-2004, 16:18
Quote[/b] (Basileus @ April 25 2004,06:50)]2004 is a good year man, HL2 Doom 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R Rome:Totalwar the new Pirates, farCry many others aswell, go 2004 even though its a year i dont have lots of time to play games
STALKER doesn't interest me, and neither does Far Cry. Pirates could be good. I heard the last game in that series was a classic.

I think that Thief III is going to suck because of the disappointment I got from Deus Ex II...I even think I saw a quote where Warren Spector said that all his game plots appeal to teenage power fantasies. Very sad.

Don't care about Dungeon Siege II. Just another hack-n-slash rpg adventure to me.

There seem to be three good games coming out this year, however they are all likely to be released in fall. No good games being released in spring or summer that I know of.

frogbeastegg
04-25-2004, 16:51
Quote[/b] (Haethurn @ April 25 2004,16:18)]I even think I saw a quote where Warren Spector said that all his game plots appeal to teenage power fantasies.
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-stunned.gif Please someone tell me that isn't true

This year, like last year, is the gaming equivolent of boiled rice - nice enough in its own way and it will keep you going, but could benefit from a bit of added ingredients and hard to get excited over. There is quite literally nothing I am counting the days to release day for, nothing I actively go looking for previews of, nothing I will care about if it is delayed. There are interesting games that I will pick up, but nothing that rises above plain boiled rice level.

RisingSun
04-25-2004, 17:33
Quote[/b] ]Let's say I like historically based games. I can still play First Person Shooters, but they are becoming more and more boring to me as I delve deeper and deeper into turn based strategy games like Medieval: Total War and Civ III. Actually, scratch that, I hate First Person Shooters. I'm bored with the Rainbow Six style games, the World War II shoot-em-ups, and the Sci-Fi-Deathmatch-Action-Thriller nonsense. I've grown out of it and it's all crap to me now.

I don't play sim games...I might play some RPGs, but I do NOT like Dungeons and Dragons...I'm more of a Fallout-type person.

So are there any non-fantasy rpgs or historically based strategy games (other than R:TW) coming out this year that are any good?

For God's sake man, did you go to my link?? 'Tis the promised land you speak of

*sigh* Nobody ever goes to the link when I link to Roma Victor... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif And there isn't even a monthly fee

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-25-2004, 22:43
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ April 25 2004,17:33)]
That Roma victor thing sounds awesome When's it out?

RisingSun
04-26-2004, 00:19
Supposedly late 2004= just in time for RTW. I'll be walking around in a toga by Christmas-time. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

YAKOBU
04-26-2004, 10:38
Hi

Here's my two-penneth for what it's worth http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

The only other game I'm looking forward to this year is Knights of Honor which has it's own web-site at the moment.

Was looking forward to Lords of the Realm 3 and Spartan but both were lacking when it came to the crunch.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

Rosacrux
04-26-2004, 13:16
For TBS or hybrid TBS/RTS and fantasy RPG fans (and in the same time sworn enemies of action/RPG, most but not all pure RTSs, pure action, FPS in particular, sports, racing ans sims - doesn't leave much, does it? what is to expect besides RTW this year?

Ser Clegane
04-26-2004, 13:29
Quote[/b] (Rosacrux @ April 26 2004,07:16)]For TBS or hybrid TBS/RTS and fantasy RPG fans (and in the same time sworn enemies of action/RPG, most but not all pure RTSs, pure action, FPS in particular, sports, racing ans sims - doesn't leave much, does it? what is to expect besides RTW this year?
Good question, after being spoiled with some great RPGs during the last years I cannot (from the top of my head) come up with a single blockbuster that will be realeased until the end of the year ... which is actually a good thing since I did not even find the time to finish all those gems that came out in recent years http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-inquisitive.gif

Antalis::
04-26-2004, 15:21
Far Cry.
Battlefield Vietnam.

Excellent games.
Also Hl2, Rome TW is that nothing? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

jeffreyLebowski
04-29-2004, 14:24
no offense, but it sounds like the situation is not that there's no good games coming out in 2004, but that you're only interested in an exceedingly small segment of games. unreal tournament 2004, splinter cell: pandora tomorrow, and far cry have already been released this year, and are all pretty damn cool. i don't think you can blame the industry for your narrow tastes. (not an insult, just an observation)

gaijinalways
05-02-2004, 17:51
Try some of the sims that have been released, Tropico released another expansion, and some of the 'run a company type RR, pizza, etc' have also been released this year.

Well, actually, I am waiting too. Hey how about another warcraft/starcraft?

hrvojej
05-03-2004, 03:27
Quote[/b] (jeffreyLebowski @ April 29 2004,09:24)]no offense, but it sounds like the situation is not that there's no good games coming out in 2004, but that you're only interested in an exceedingly small segment of games. unreal tournament 2004, splinter cell: pandora tomorrow, and far cry have already been released this year, and are all pretty damn cool. i don't think you can blame the industry for your narrow tastes. (not an insult, just an observation)
OTOH, you could also say that the industry is becoming more and more narrow in what it produces, and if you happen to like something else than what games geared toward that particular narrow taste have to offer (FPS, Diablo clones, MMORPG, RTS - all of which are more or less action oriented clickfests and/or revolve around MP), your choice is unfortunatelly very limited.

I also don't know what to look forward to in 2004. The only positive thing is that I have still to try many games from years past that I haven't had the chance to pick up earlier (if I manage to find them, that is).

ICantSpellDawg
05-04-2004, 03:40
last year there was hidden and dangerous 2

this year already there is battlefield vietnam and knights of honor

dessa14
05-04-2004, 08:37
what about the remake of the 1987 Classic Pirates coming out sometime this year i believe.
open ended RPG with lots of action, and quite a bit of history.
thanks, dessa

Rosacrux
05-04-2004, 12:23
Quote[/b] (hrvojej @ May 02 2004,21:27)]OTOH, you could also say that the industry is becoming more and more narrow in what it produces, and if you happen to like something else than what games geared toward that particular narrow taste have to offer (FPS, Diablo clones, MMORPG, RTS - all of which are more or less action oriented clickfests and/or revolve around MP), your choice is unfortunatelly very limited.
Excellent observation http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

I never claimed that I have a broad taste myself, no, it is indeed quite narrow, but it's an educated one (meaning, I've tried 2-4 game of every genre before saying basta, I hate this crap http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ) and an eclectic too.

all FPSs, most RTSs (the C&C-Warcraft clones-type), all Action, Sports, platform, sims - all fall under my crap definition. I like TBS and the oddbal hybrid RTS/TBS and I also like RPGs (fantasy, usually). But that's it.

An update on what I am doing: now I am playing Spartan a bit, and giving HOMM 3 (yes, 3, 4 was extremely awful) a new go, after getting HOMM3 Complete (I had only RoE, no expansions) for a bargain price (15 Euros) and installing WoG unoficcial expansion. Maybe I'll be getting Pax Romana or Victoria - but just maybe - if HOMM3 redux doesn't keep my attention.

Those two, along with an occasional MTW game (MedMod or HTW) shall keep me appeased in my (short, anyhow) free time, until his royal majesty RTW comes along http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

frogbeastegg
05-04-2004, 13:19
Quote[/b] (jeffreyLebowski @ April 29 2004,14:24)]no offense, but it sounds like the situation is not that there's no good games coming out in 2004, but that you're only interested in an exceedingly small segment of games. unreal tournament 2004, splinter cell: pandora tomorrow, and far cry have already been released this year, and are all pretty damn cool. i don't think you can blame the industry for your narrow tastes. (not an insult, just an observation)
I have been mulling over whether to reply to this or not, well obviously I decided to.

If that is supposed to represent a wide range of games to suit all tastes think again. UT2004=shooter, Splinter cell=shooter with stealth claims, far cry=shooter. Maybe they are all good games, but they fall into the same broad category, and if you don't like shooting things all the time they are not interesting. No offense intended, just an observation.

I have broad tastes, it is far easier to list what games I don't like than what I do (sports, flightsim, shooters with a few rare exceptions, any MP aimed game) and there is nothing that really grabs my attention this year. There are games I will play, but none that scream Play me or demand to be preordered. Cursader Kings is the only game interesting enough to be preordered since MTW first came out, and while the game sounded highly interesting my preorder was mostly influenced by the £25 price tag (that is £10 cheaper than it would be in the shops here)including shipping and several month earlier release if you ordered it directly from Paradox.

Nelson
05-04-2004, 17:53
I'm looking forward to Knights Over Europe. If this and Rome:TW pan out I'm good even if HL2 and Doom 3 stink (and I hope they won't).

The_Emperor
05-04-2004, 18:05
Quote[/b] (RisingSun @ April 26 2004,00:19)]Supposedly late 2004= just in time for RTW. I'll be walking around in a toga by Christmas-time. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Man thats got to be cold down below

But yeah i'm going to be Rome-Obsessed when RTW comes out... Put everything on hold, I feel a world domination comming on http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Teutonic Knight
05-04-2004, 19:30
I don't know if you guys heard, but Halo 2 just got bumped up to June 30th and they're accepting pre-orders now http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif

Komutan
05-05-2004, 05:24
Games of 2004, I am waiting for:
Half-Life 2
Doom 3
Stalker
Battle for Middle Earth
Vampire 2
Warhammer 40K:Dawn of War
...and of course Rome:Total War

dessa14
05-05-2004, 06:20
here is a link to Pirates

PIRATES (http://www.firaxis.com)
thats the developer, its whatever remains of microprose, and there are some links to previews at the bottom of the page.

thanks, dessa

jeffreyLebowski
05-05-2004, 18:08
Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ May 04 2004,07:19)]
Quote[/b] (jeffreyLebowski @ April 29 2004,14:24)]no offense, but it sounds like the situation is not that there's no good games coming out in 2004, but that you're only interested in an exceedingly small segment of games. unreal tournament 2004, splinter cell: pandora tomorrow, and far cry have already been released this year, and are all pretty damn cool. i don't think you can blame the industry for your narrow tastes. (not an insult, just an observation)
I have been mulling over whether to reply to this or not, well obviously I decided to.

If that is supposed to represent a wide range of games to suit all tastes think again. UT2004=shooter, Splinter cell=shooter with stealth claims, far cry=shooter. Maybe they are all good games, but they fall into the same broad category, and if you don't like shooting things all the time they are not interesting. No offense intended, just an observation.

I have broad tastes, it is far easier to list what games I don't like than what I do (sports, flightsim, shooters with a few rare exceptions, any MP aimed game) and there is nothing that really grabs my attention this year. There are games I will play, but none that scream Play me or demand to be preordered. Cursader Kings is the only game interesting enough to be preordered since MTW first came out, and while the game sounded highly interesting my preorder was mostly influenced by the £25 price tag (that is £10 cheaper than it would be in the shops here)including shipping and several month earlier release if you ordered it directly from Paradox.
i think some of you guys sort've mistunderstood my point. i was simply pointing out the irony in the original poster saying THERES NOTHING GOOD COMING OUT and then proceeding to provide a list of genres he doesn't like which encompasses 85-95% of the pc gaming market. i think what he meant was, nothing that interests me is coming out in 2004.

to say that all sports, rts, fps, action, etc games are quote crap is a tad on the overly broad side, wouldn't you say? not every fps is a clickfest, nor is every rpg or rts. deus ex is one of the most innovative games of our time, and it's hardly a fps click-fest. the kohan series of games are rts's and are brilliantly designed. i was simply making the point that one shouldn't limit themselves by genre definitions, at least in my opinion.

i mentioned the above games simply because they are AAA titles that came out this year so far. and by the way, the statement Splinter cell=shooter with stealth claims is spoken like someone who's never played the game, especially the multiplayer, which is unlike anything else out there. the entire point of the game is to NOT shoot a single bullet. each room or situation is basically a puzzle, where you'll need to use timing, strategy, and planning to sneak through unseen. if you're shooting in splinter cell, you messed up.

Axeknight
05-05-2004, 18:39
I played the DX: IW demo, and was hugely disappointed. They ripped all the bits that made the original classic (I still play it), such as the multiple game styles, upgrades, and the sheer fascination I still get listning to 2 bums/guards/terroists/whatever chatting about American football or whatever (honestly, the number of times I died from listning to pointless convos rather than playing, lol), and wondering how long it took to record all the dialogue. And the plot, so subtle and intricate in DX, was dumbed down to post-apocalyptic cliche. *sigh* Instead what we got was a puddle-deep FPS. Sickened and outraged. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-no.gif

frogbeastegg
05-05-2004, 21:44
Quote[/b] (jeffreyLebowski @ May 05 2004,18:08)]and by the way, the statement Splinter cell=shooter with stealth claims is spoken like someone who's never played the game, especially the multiplayer, which is unlike anything else out there. the entire point of the game is to NOT shoot a single bullet. each room or situation is basically a puzzle, where you'll need to use timing, strategy, and planning to sneak through unseen. if you're shooting in splinter cell, you messed up.
All I ever hear about splinter cell is that it is like metal gear solid. Since metal gear was a shooter with vague stealth (boss battles are not stealthy) why would I think splinter cell was any different?

Believe it or not I was actually interested enough to look this game up in reasonable detail since I like *real* stealth, but at every turn I just got told how it was like metal gear and had really cool weaponry. If I had heard it was like Thief then I would have been interested, but all the comparisons were to a game where you spend half your time in gun battles.

Axeknight
05-05-2004, 22:39
Beg to differ, Froggy.

Having finished the first Splinter Cell far too many times, and being active on the SC official forum, I can tell you with certainty that it's nothing like MGS. It is possible (I've done it) to finish the first game killing only one person - whom you are ordered to kill. The others (guards, soldiers etc) can all be knocked out (though it takes skill, and off-the-wall thinking). It isn't a shooter, it is a real stealth game.

I am looking forward to the PS2 release of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, but little else.

RisingSun
05-05-2004, 22:40
MGS is the most over rated game I've ever played. Splinter Cell is much more stealthy than MGS. No boss battles, all stealth and objectives.

frogbeastegg
05-06-2004, 02:43
So, as usual, the large collection of reviewers and forumites were wrong? Good, now it does actully start to sound a bit like Thief. There was a PC version of the first splinter cell, wasn't there? Anyone got a link to a demo?

Metal gear, well you can guess my opinion since I avoided splinter cell since it was supposed to be similar. I prefer my game to have a bit more game in it, and my stealth to not have battles with tanks and aircraft.

Voigtkampf
05-06-2004, 06:25
Lady frogbeastegg, the Splinter Cell is fascinating game and much more, I suppose, like Thief than MGS (unfortunately, I never played Thief…). As Axeknight pointed out, it is a stealth game that truly focuses on that feature and it's quite fun.

Splinter Cell demo (http://www.3dgamers.com/games/splintercell/)

hrvojej
05-06-2004, 06:48
Quote[/b] (jeffreyLebowski @ May 05 2004,13:08)]i was simply pointing out the irony in the original poster saying THERES NOTHING GOOD COMING OUT and then proceeding to provide a list of genres he doesn't like which encompasses 85-95% of the pc gaming market.
I think the irony lies more in what comprises the 85%-95% of the gaming market these days. Which was at least my point.

jeffreyLebowski
05-06-2004, 16:09
Quote[/b] (hrvojej @ May 06 2004,00:48)]
Quote[/b] (jeffreyLebowski @ May 05 2004,13:08)]i was simply pointing out the irony in the original poster saying THERES NOTHING GOOD COMING OUT and then proceeding to provide a list of genres he doesn't like which encompasses 85-95% of the pc gaming market.
I think the irony lies more in what comprises the 85%-95% of the gaming market these days. Which was at least my point.
*zing*

point conceeded. hehehe.

and yes, both splinter cells are really excellent games. i give the edge to the 2nd one simply because i never thought stealth gameplay could be pulled off in a multiplayer environment, and i liked the plot better. however, the first one is excellent as well.

Obex
05-07-2004, 07:49
thief 3 just went go a day or so ago. im excited, despite my better judgment.

froggy - splinter cell is not on sneaky par with the thief games. nor is it a normal shooter. much of my initial frustration with the game stemmed from the fact that i was trying to think of it like the thief games, and it just isnt. i did like all the crawling around and climbing that i got to do. then again, i hated how point blank pistol shots to the face just seemed to irritate the guards sometimes.

Bushido
05-07-2004, 14:43
2004 will be a great year for me and you know why? Because there will be at least 3 if not more RTS games I just have to buy.

Warhammer 40 000: dawn of war
It's being made by Relic of homeworld series fame and since every (I believe) developer on the team actually play the tabletop game (never tried it btw) I do believe they are going to pour everything they have into this one. Besides, no bases in the old meaning and gorgeous, gorgeous race differences. A must have for me. Demo will probably be released before the game ships.

Next on my list has to be Ground control 2, sequel to the not so successful Ground Control (from marketing point of view that is. The game itself was fantastic). This time the good folks over at Massive Entertainment have really outdone themselves. I've been beta testing the game for the last month and a half and it really is gorgeous in detail. Unfortunately the multiplayer sports only 2 playable races, the reptilian Viron and the human NSA (Northern Star Alliance). The game has third faction as well but since their (The Terran Empire) units really make the bucket fly it would be nearly impossible to balance the multiplayer aspect of the game. The singleplayer story will be great, of that there is no doubt and the multiplayer, with some adjustments, might be as entertaining as that of the original game's (I played it only for 3½ years). Demo will be released when it will.

Also on my list:
Codename: Panzers, a ww2 rts game from CDV publishing. It aims towards more tactical fighting than the Hidden strike series and looks quite good. They have a demo out already. Check it out.

Then, of course, Rome: Total War. They really let me down with Medieval: Total War since I was expecting the detail of quality shown in Shogun: Total War to be on par or perhaps even exceed that of the great classic. Instead it felt watered down and, dare I say, trite. I still played it so it wasn't that bad but it also wasn't that good. It's ok, I forgive them.

Those are the big four, with Codename: Panzers left hanging, on my 'must have' list. If any of the above mentioned convey the sheer fun and atmosphere of Ground Control I can kiss my family and friends good buys since it will be the last they will ever see of me.

Fragony
05-07-2004, 15:41
Quote[/b] (voigtkampf @ May 06 2004,00:25)]Lady frogbeastegg, the Splinter Cell is fascinating game and much more, I suppose, like Thief than MGS (unfortunately, I never played Thief…). As Axeknight pointed out, it is a stealth game that truly focuses on that feature and it's quite fun.

Splinter Cell demo (http://www.3dgamers.com/games/splintercell/)
I really urge you to give Thief a try. Splinter cell is a decent game, but the stealth elements are more of a puzzle rather then a gameplay mechanic. There is always one way to go and 1 thing to do, although it is cleverly disguised. Thief on the other hand gives you total control, you are put in an environment and from thereon it is up to you how to reach your objectives. It truely allows strategy and creativity, the level design is the best I have ever seen, and your arsenal is used to it's fullest potential. If I dislike anything it is gimmick gameplay, gameplaywise Thief is perfection.

dessa14
05-08-2004, 03:59
have any of you ever finished a thief level by killing everyone with either the bow or the sword.
its really hard.
thanks, dessa

Somebody Else
05-08-2004, 11:25
Well, I think I can remember taking on the entire complements of guards in the first level of Thief 1... at one point, I was running backwards around the streets hacking at my pursuers. I won eventually - they had a habit of stopping just as they swung - so I could get away without being hit. Does say... flashing the guards then clubbing them to the ground before finally despatching them with the sword count?

Actually, I can remember failing a mission because I killed someone. Thing is, I killed him with the blackjack.

frogbeastegg
05-08-2004, 11:52
Flashing the guards? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-inquisitive.gif

You can kill with the blackjack if you club someone who is aware of you enough times, you have to go berserk and keep bashing for ages. I have never finished a thief level with everyone dead, since that defeats the point of the game IMO. I have finished some levels with most people unconcious and hidden in all kinds of strange places.

I tried the splinter cell demo, not bad but not as good as thief, I miss the freedom. The kind of thing I'll play if I find it for £10 and have nothing else better to do.

dessa14
05-08-2004, 12:13
yeah well killing them when they are unconsious counts.
thanks, dessa

i reckon a game that allows you to do alot of things, do most of those things. like when a game gets boring try to play it a different way.

Fragony
05-08-2004, 12:29
Killing sprees can be fun, but you will get the most out of the game when you try not to harm ANYONE. I like to roleplay, I like the idea of having stolen everything right under their nose. Those guards are going to get it when 'the sir' wakes up

Axeknight
05-09-2004, 08:45
Yeah, playing games without killing is great. Playing Splinter Cell without killing anyone except the two guys you have to kill (won't spoil it, but the two you're ordered to kill), is such a refreshing challenge (I've finished the game this way).

At one point, I was on the top floor of a building, trying to get to the extraction, with no gadgets left, and there was this one area with 3 guards in it. Eventually, after countless deaths, and many different strategies, I decided to try just pegging it. I managed to climb up to the small ledge, throw a coke can one way so 2 of the guard went after it, jump off the small ledge, land on a guard, knocking him out (love drop attacks http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ), take a diving roll, and burst through the door with the other 2 guards following me. I kept running until they separated to look for me, and then picked them off one by one with sharp cuffs to the bonce. Hard, but great fun. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif