PDA

View Full Version : Knights of the Old Republic 2

Voigtkampf
04-26-2004, 09:32
Yes, the sequel; as of this moment, I can tell there will be an X-Box version, but almost definitely there will be a PC version as well.

Five years after the defeat of Malak, one of the old Jedi masters, a Mandalorian war veteran returns from the Outer Rim (or wherever they might dwell, waiting for the sequels) and finds things…changed. The Jedi Order has been dissolved, and he is perhaps the last of the Jedi. The Republic is in chaos, and this is where you start, as this very Jedi master. There will be no possibility to import your save games from KotOr 1, so it's a fresh start. You will see some old friends and familiar faces, like Revan (whomever he now might be) and HK-47 and some others as well (be surprised), and you will visit some old and new worlds like Dantooine and Telos, the home world of Carth from KotOR 1. You will also run into Ebon Hawk and mop the old Betty up, you will have new Jedi powers, decide to be on the good or the dark side of the force, with matching new classes, you will get to use the new forces like Force Sight (Jedi Academy, anyone?) and Force Clairvoyance (see distant places…but on the map of the world you are on). Hold fast; Battle Meditation and Dark Side Rage will be there as well, but now info has been released on their exact nature. There will be no MP, online of offline.

The interesting part; the sequel will not be done by Bioware, but from instead, a company founded by ex-Black Isle gurus like Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avallone, who will be the lead designer.

For German speaking members, a link to the GameFront.de (http://www.gamefront.de/)

EDIT No more links to the Dark Side stuff, sorry for that, Lady frogbeastegg, I wasn't sure whether that was a breach of the Org copyright policy. On the legal side, it should be completely without any concern, since we haven't hosted and scanned material ourselves (I should know best, since I have covered a good share of copyright law in a quite recent past), but for the peace of our minds, the links are gone.

Ser Clegane
04-26-2004, 09:38
Hehe ... just saw the same thing a couple of minutes ago on gamigo.de. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Not a big surprise after the success of the first game, but still good to see the progress (really looking forward to that one)
*hums Star Wars theme while gettin g weird look from co-worker*

The Bioware thing is indeed a bit funny, though...

frogbeastegg
04-26-2004, 10:25
Voigtkampf remove the links to the scanned articles please, they breach the magazine's copyright and that can cause trouble. You have 24 hours before I remove them myself. Thank you.

On a more pleasant this does sound somewhat promising, but if I catch up with Revan and find he is not a lightsider traveling with a certain female jedi with a strange hairdo I shall turn to the darkside http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-grin.gif

Basileus
04-26-2004, 11:55
KOTOR was awesome, i finished it 2 times which is something i rarely do nowdays...eagerly waiting for it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

[DnC]
04-27-2004, 16:44
Finally it's confirmed? And I already knew Bioware wasn't going to do it, because they said they wouldn't.
Anyways I'm very looking forward to it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Force Sight? WOW
Battle Meditation? Again WOW I wonder how this will work?

I like how the story seems to begin I want to know what Revan will look like in the sequel.

WOOHOO KoTOR2 http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mount Suribachi
04-27-2004, 21:52
KOTOR2 = http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

No Bioware = http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

No import old save game = http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

But especially the no Bioware thingy.

Voigtkampf
04-28-2004, 06:58
Mount Suribachi, the old Black Isle people will be doing the sequel, and they made Fallout, one of the best RPG's off all times. If you played that, then you know how good their stories are. Besides, they will be using the same engine as for the first part, so there is no big concern that they will mess up something there. Basically, few new modifications, powers, some new extra effects an a new story; the absence of Bioware will, I hope and believe, not be as painful as you might believe.

Hehe, what a sap am I, I just noticed that I didn't write that the sequel will be done by Obsidian Entertainment in my first post, I forgot to insert that word I mean, really… http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-wall.gif

The Tuffen
04-28-2004, 23:56
Cool, any1 know when a likely release date is? I absolutly loved the first one and completed it many times (usually as a dark side character http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

discovery1
04-29-2004, 02:56
I think I read that a early 2005 release date for PCs. I think it was IGN(wish I knew how reliable they were). Oh yes, I believe it also said a late 2004 relase on the X-box,

The Tuffen
04-29-2004, 12:21
2005 http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif Don't think i can wait that long.

[DnC]
05-05-2004, 07:23
Here's another preview from Gamespot.com (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/kotor2/preview_6095371.html) for the ones whom are interested.

Also look at this site if you haven't seen it yet: LucasArts.com (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/).

Both are direct links.

The_Emperor
05-05-2004, 11:13
Great news I loved the original. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

I'm laying odds that Reven is the Villain after the light side ending in the original, but fell from grace again some time after destroying the Star Forge (complete with his old funky robes)

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Bastilla is dead or something as a reason for his conversion.

frogbeastegg
05-05-2004, 12:16
Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ May 05 2004,11:13)]I'm laying odds that Reven is the Villain after the light side ending in the original, but fell from grace again some time after destroying the Star Forge (complete with his old funky robes)

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Bastilla is dead or something as a reason for his conversion.
If anyone touches a hair on Bastila's strangely coiffured head the frog will not be happy, likewise any Jedi->Sith->Jedi->Sith flip flopping by Revan.

It sounds as if you will be able to 'tell' certain old characters their fates through dialogue, for example if you say you heard of a man called Carth who got sat on by a bantha Carth will never appear in that game. However if you say he is alive he may turn up. It sounds like they have found a way to continue most of the previous games outcomes, including what sex your last character was.

The_Emperor
05-05-2004, 12:23
Oh trust me I'd be happy to see the Stuck up Bastilla return... She was one of the most fun characters from the Original.

nightcrawlerblue
05-06-2004, 02:40
Hmmm... I never played the original KOTOR. My birthday's coming up fairly soon maybe I'll ask for that...

econ21
05-06-2004, 10:37
Nightcrawlerblue - what kind of games do you like? KOTOR will probably appeal to a wide variety of RPGers - it has nice visuals, very good cinematic qualities, fairly deep combat options and character building possibilities, non-linearity and a good central story arc, richly drawn recruitable NPCs with movie-quality voice work for all dialogue, plus a nice balance of combat and interesting quests. It's also surprisingly faithful to Star Wars while still being original. It's pretty excellent on all levels, the puzzle is why it doesn't quite compete with the all time greats like Fallout and Baldurs Gate 2. I suspect it may be that the package, while superlative, is somehow rather bland. Perhaps it needs a slightly darker tone - something KOTOR2 may deliver.

nightcrawlerblue
05-06-2004, 13:52
I'm a fan of Star Wars (not like a fanatic but I like it) and sorta a fan of RPGs. I'm not a big fan of fantasy games so there aren't too many good RPGs other than that.

Does your character increase in level or stats or anything like in a normal RPG or is there no level system?

Ser Clegane
05-06-2004, 14:05
Quote[/b] (nightcrawlerblue @ May 06 2004,07:52)]Does your character increase in level or stats or anything like in a normal RPG or is there no level system?
Levelling is pretty much the same as in D&D RPGs (e.g., Neverwinter Nights) with an improvement in stats, feats, health points. Actually the whole game is basically a modded D&D RPG, but IMO it is very well done.

econ21
05-06-2004, 14:53
Yeah - there is a fairly rich character building system underlying KOTOR. There are a couple of excellent walkthrus on gamefaqs.com that explain the mechanics very well (I have a vague memory one was entitled game mechanics and the other was a walkthru called kotor_f or some such). It's quite fun to design a character build from level 1 to level 20, as you have lots of choices - in terms of feats, force powers, and bonus attribute points as well as deciding whether to delay levelling up in order to get more Jedi levels. Whatismore, you get a party of around 8 NPCs and have to level them up too - gamefaqs has a really nice guide to this too. I don't know why kotor was criticised by some as an RPG-lite; it's got all the stat crunching you could want and even encourages you to actually role-play as well (through lightside and darkside points).

barvaz
05-07-2004, 12:02
I am reading all the posts in this and other threads about KotOR and I always feel like I was sold a totally different game than the rest of the world because I am probably one of the very few people on these boards and in the entire gaming community who doesn’t think KotOR is the God sent gift to computer gaming. Sure, it isn’t a bad game, it certainly has its fun moments and strong points but it is nowhere close to what the media and reviews are making from it, the game is totally over-hyped and overestimated. In my opinion, KotOR is a good game with some annoying points if taken lightly as action/adventure game, very disappointing as a PC RPG.

Why?

The first and foremost obvious flaw in KotOR is that it was designed and implemented from the grounds up as console game. The PC version is a console port and this strikes through the entire game despite the bold (and obviously false) claims from Bioware that the game was redone for the PC. The interface is the best example – it is horrible by any PC standard. HUD, Inventory management, camera (lack of) control, combat system – all were done with gamepad in mind. Go play Dungeon Siege or even NWN, now go back to KotOR and see what I mean.

Second, the story. Now I was actually enjoying it until the famous moment when the plot takes that bizarre (and totally lame) turn. I was sitting in front of my computer and thinking “I can’t believe they did this”, this is something that you’d expect to find in low budget soap operas in chapter #7634 and not in a game made by the creators of Baldur’s Gate. What next can we expect in KotOR2? We discover that Bastila is actually the hero’s lost sister? That Malak rises from the dead and leads an order of suicidal Jawa monks? Comon. I also don’t understand how anyone can say the plot is anything but linear – it is a straight and most obvious line from start to end. You can write a somewhat accurate summary of the plot of an average game without ever playing it.

As for roleplaying, the only real choice you make is choosing between light and dark sides. Once you made up your mind, the path of your character’s progression becomes very clear, there isn’t much else to debate on. In every dialog or point in the story you can easily see the “chose option A for dark”, “option B for light” and sometimes “C if you haven’t decided yet”. If you want to give your character a personality, your choices are “emerging light hero” or “dark tyrant after all” molds. That’s it.

Character development in regards of skills and powers is also a stripped down version of D&D. You are basically down to two and a half options: Jedi who uses powers more, Jedi who uses lightsaber more and Jedi who can’t make up his mind. And there isn’t enough distinction between them to actually call them separate “classes”. Combine this with your choice of Dark/Light and by the end of the game you have no real dilemma of which powers/feats to choose, you can have them all. Your character will be pretty much “maxed up”, there are no difficult choices as you would expect in real RPG. The other skills, while present in the game, are either useless or may be avoided. You don’t really need a “thief” or “computer hacker” in this game. “Persuade” skill is somewhat useful and gives refreshing results from time to time but the quickest and most efficient method is, as always, brute force.

Another annoying thing is the total lack of interaction between you, the player, and the game world environment. The game world, while pretty, is nothing more than static decoration set. You can open some chests, some doors, few other minor objects and that’s about all.

And there are, of course, all those little flaws that going through your head while playing a game that is supposed to suck you completely into a different universe. Questions like “If the Sith completely control Taris and everyone is looking for you, how come you can run around the streets with drawn weapons and wave them in front of the Sith noses?” or “If the Sith Academy on Korriban accepts only one student per year, how on earth they have enough Sith to fight a war?” and lots of other of the sort.

On the bright side, the game can be fun if not taken seriously and with lowered expectation (i.e. don’t expect it to be as grand as BG2 or as free as Morrowind). Take it as an adventure with light RPG elements. The graphics are good, the combat system (while lacks real tactics elements or challenge) let’s you use lightsabers, which can’t be bad. Most of the dialogs are well written. Some NPC backgrounds and personalities are well done as well (HK-47, while an irritating NPC, is a good example).

As for KotOR2, I take the news of its making indifferently. I will get and play this game with much lower expectations and with totally different mind set (may even on a console, god forbid). On the other hand, the fact that Bioware isn’t making it can be a blessing in disguise. As much as I appreciated them and their games before they sold their soul to the dark (Xbox) side, KotOR was a real disappointment.

- barvaz

[DnC]
05-07-2004, 12:49
Barvaz,

I didn't have any expectations for the game. I actually had a more criticized look on the game, but still decided to buy it after walking around in a computer shop.
At first I was put off a bit about the controls, but just kept on playing it. I became used to the controls and started enjoying the game more and more.
After having finished it the first time I was really impressed with what I played
I really liked the storyline as well

KoTOR is also easy to get into, which I liked for a change.

All in all it was in my opinion a satisfying gaming experience and well worth the money.

As you implied it does make a difference with what sort of mindset you start doing something.

Although certain things were rather annoying, for example; the alien dialogs that seemed to last twice as long as the basic (=English) language. Ofcourse one race might have to pronounce more words (or longer) then another, but with every alien specie? It became quite tedious after a while.

Just giving my perspective http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

frogbeastegg
05-07-2004, 12:51
Yes, it does sound like you played a different game to me.

Gods gift to computer gaming? No, just a good game. Note just game not computer game, since it is a console game as well. I have done enough muttering about the xbox stealing games in the past, so I won't repeat.

The story is linear, so is a book, so is a film. Are books and films less good because of that? No. The plot twist was rather soap opera, but it was done well enough. By the way I seem to recall a similar twist or two in BG, you are a nothing who is actually a baal spawn. That was predictable enough, and I found it rather lame. I also spotted the Imoen thing of BGII from a mile away.

Roleplaying? I managed loads more characters than that I had the psychopath who swung from nice to evil and back again inside of a conversation, the greysider who tried to be good but lost his temper too often, the hopeless lover who rushed to the darkside to follow a certain female, the sceptic who always mocked the speeches and conventions of the Jedi, the joker who always bugged people, the female character who did nothing but insult Carth.

Lightsabre Jedi or force Jedi...again did you try other options? What about blaster Jedi? Sword user? Reluctant Jedi who doesn't use the force unless he has no choice? Heavy combat Jedi who wears armour?

Persuade? I talked my way through more conversations than I care to recall, it was my favourite skill. Brute force, well I suppose if you don't try your conversation options you do end up in more fights, or killing people you don't need to. Don't forget the force persuade options, and the occasional opportunity to use grip via dialogue. You don't need a thief or hacker, but you can still play as them with success.

Interaction with the world was lacking, but that is the same as most other games.

Why don't the Sith notice you? Because it would break the game if they did. Games are full of stupid things like this.

Korriban accepts one final graduated Sith per year, the others become those menial force using grunts you hack your way through. There will be other academies, just as there are other Jedi academies outside of Dantooine.

There is a lot for the sequel to improve on, but that is always the case.

Mount Suribachi
05-09-2004, 10:00
The word is would use to describe KOTOR is slick. As a BG/BG2/IWD/PST veteran, I can spot that its AD&D underneath the shiny graphics. I think a lot of people assume that its RPG-lite becos it doesn't have a clunky interface with a bewildering array of stats before you. They're all there, but they're either hidden away, or done so smoothly that you don't realise. I can't comment on the PC interface, what I can say is that on the Xbox it is done brilliantly, full marks to Bioware IMO, very intuitive & easy to use, seamless, smooth. A highly polished game all round.

Voigtkampf
05-09-2004, 15:15
Well said, short and precise. I second that.

benF86
05-09-2004, 19:03
besides the fact that I missed the option of watching EVERY dice roll made and that it's stupid that I couldn't use ANY force power on Malak with succes (xcept wave or whatever that lvl 3 push is) altho I had wisdom 30 and char around 15, it was the only game I ever finished twice in 4 days. WAAAAY TO SHORT

Else, I missed the quickbar like in NWN. I h8 to always have to switch back to the inventory to select a weapon etc :P

Mount Suribachi
05-09-2004, 20:22
Acheron did you ever stop to smell the roses? It took me 60 hours to finish the game - I try not to miss anything in a game. If you did it in 2 days you must have missed soooooo much.

benF86
05-09-2004, 20:54
when I was light side, I did every side quest I could find that didn't give any dark side points, and when I was dark side I missed out the bounty hunter guild and hunting of those little bugs in kashyyk. Else I didn't find any other side quests and I talked to just about everyone.

nightcrawlerblue
05-11-2004, 15:51
I just bought KOTOR I've only played 2 hours and I've barely advanced through the game at all (been taking my time going to every inch of upper Taris) but it's been pretty good so far. I just hope I got my lightsaber fairly soon.

MalibuMan
05-11-2004, 18:03
Soon...ish

:)

nightcrawlerblue
05-11-2004, 20:06
4 hours... The lightsaber doesn't seem near. I'm beginning to despize this dreadful planet Taris Who designed their stupid sewers anyway? There's like 700 doors

The_Emperor
05-11-2004, 20:49
Yeah Trais was a very long level to finish... Fear not when you leave, you'll be Jedi soon enough

Patience http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

frogbeastegg
05-11-2004, 22:28
A new preview, and a detailed one at that. gamebanshee preview (http://www.gamebanshee.com/previews/kotoriipreview1.php)

Carth is back, as are most of the old characters. Hmm, so definitely not following the female/darkside/romance ending then.

nightcrawlerblue
05-12-2004, 03:03
I rescued that female jedi now. It's been nearly seven hours game time (Hey, I'm sick I have nothing else to do) and I'm not even off this stupid Taris planet.

Mount Suribachi
05-12-2004, 08:00
Patience my young padawan....

Impatience leads to the dark side............if thats what you want http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

The_Emperor
05-12-2004, 13:48
Quote[/b] (frogbeastegg @ May 11 2004,22:28)]A new preview, and a detailed one at that. gamebanshee preview (http://www.gamebanshee.com/previews/kotoriipreview1.php)

Carth is back, as are most of the old characters. Hmm, so definitely not following the female/darkside/romance ending then.
Can you tell me in a PM what that one is... I never wanted to play that game as a female. (But hey, the blokes get a potential romance plot involving Bastila http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif )

Still it is possible they used the Dark Side ending, with the Jedi being hunted down after the original. (now that was a cool ending)

frogbeastegg
05-12-2004, 14:10
I'll post it here, then if anyone else wants to know I won't have to send out more PMs.

The female/darkside/romance ending is:

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. You join Bastila on the temple, kill Mission, Zaalbar, Jolee and Juhanni. Carth runs away swearing to return and stop you. The star forge batle goes the same as usual, but after killing Malak you and Bastila meet Carth. He tells you he loves you, and asks you to return with him. Your only option is to kill him, and leave with Bastila to crush the republic.

Originally it was intended that you could choose a much better romantic ending; killing Bastila and staying with Carth on the doomed star forge, dying together becuase he knows Reven will never be able to stay on the lightside after falling a second time. The dialogue still exists, he proclaimed his love (Carth doesn't have a special moment to say he loves you, unlike Bastila. This would have been that moment, and it would have matched Bastila's for dramtic timing) right as the place exploded :sniffle: that ending would have been good.[/QUOTE]

I didn't like Carth that much, and I found the male/lightside/romance story to be much better, so to me Revan is always a male lightsider with Bastila.

nightcrawlerblue
05-12-2004, 16:51
Quote[/b] (Mount Suribachi @ May 12 2004,02:00)]Patience my young padawan....

Impatience leads to the dark side............if thats what you want http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
I've only gotten dark side points once and there was no choice...~:(

Right now I'm... (I'll put it in spoiler code just in case)

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. Inside the military base. I have Bastila and that stupid droid thing with me but I don't seem to have enough spikes to shut all the security systems down. I guess I have to buy them but I'm gonna have to sell some of those really valuable things I got from that Black Vulkar guy.[/QUOTE]

benF86
05-12-2004, 21:33
Quote[/b] (nightcrawlerblue @ May 12 2004,10:51)]
Quote[/b] (Mount Suribachi @ May 12 2004,02:00)]Patience my young padawan....

I've only gotten dark side points once and there was no choice...~:(

Right now I'm... (I'll put it in spoiler code just in case)

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. Inside the military base. I have Bastila and that stupid droid thing with me but I don't seem to have enough spikes to shut all the security systems down. I guess I have to buy them but I'm gonna have to sell some of those really valuable things I got from that Black Vulkar guy.[/QUOTE]
why would you sell anything? I can't even remembering having to hack around. I just killed everybody possible (didn't gain any dark side points http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wacko.gif and came to an elevator. Perhaps I had to open a security door somewhere but really, I'm pretty much shure it's possible to get launch codes w/o hacking anything.

nightcrawlerblue
05-12-2004, 23:22
Yeah. You're right. I managed to somehow work through the turrets and the droid's shield (I used the droid's shield disrupter. I'm not sure if that helped).

I have gained my jedi guardian stance My lightsaber has been crafted and I have begun to work under the name of the jedi counsel. I think I'm to my last mission on Dantooine (Though perhaps not) and then I'll be off again.

nightcrawlerblue
05-20-2004, 04:52
I'm nearly to the end (I'm on Korriban, my last planet) and surprises have been shooting everywhere This is a great story Here's a few notes from my journey

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. WHAT? I'm Revan? This is insane I was going to be a completely light side character but now with my newfound roots I think I may betray my lightside companions and join the Sith at Korriban. I'm hoping that will be an option (though it may be too late).[/QUOTE]

Mount Suribachi
05-20-2004, 23:12
hehe, never saw that coming didya? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

nightcrawlerblue
05-21-2004, 00:09
Quote[/b] (Mount Suribachi @ May 20 2004,17:12)]hehe, never saw that coming didya? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
Not really. Here's where I am now:

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. I have gone back to my dark roots. I betrayed my fellow jedi when I found that Bastila had been turned. With her I found my chance to overthrow Malak and rule the new Sith empire All shall tremble at the name Revan Jolee fell first. Then Juhani. Mission and Zaalbar were the last to be killed while Carth ran. I felt guilty betraying my friends but it was too late. I shall rule the Sith empire None shall get in my way. Not even Malak and the entire Sith army.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: Updated the info.

The_Emperor
05-21-2004, 11:28
I went real Evil after the 'Temple' moment.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. I used Force Persuade on Zaalbar to make him Kill Mission for me... That way I still had him as a possible party member.[/QUOTE]

nightcrawlerblue
05-21-2004, 18:20
Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ May 21 2004,05:28)]I went real Evil after the 'Temple' moment.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. I used Force Persuade on Zaalbar to make him Kill Mission for me... That way I still had him as a possible party member.[/QUOTE]
Ooh that was really evil.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. I just got really frustrated and everything finding out that I was Revan and everyone knew about it but me Jolee, Bastila, and half my enemy knew but I was left in the dark Speaking of dark I think I'll embrace it...

I'm going to finish this game soon (I'm on the Star Forge right now and I'm about to take my empire back) then I'm either going to go with a high dexterity light side scout or a dark scoundrel. I want to see the light side ending but I've already gone through most of the game as light before. It probably would be more fun to go through the game as dark so I can see everything.[/QUOTE]

nightcrawlerblue
05-26-2004, 20:39
Argh I've gotten stuck... Can I get some help here?

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. Okay, I've gotten to Starforge deck 2 with Canderous and Bastila. However, the constant streams of Dark Jedi is too much. Bastila always falls after 3-4 fights while I can last to about 10 before finally dying. However, there doesn't seem to be an end They just keep coming and once Bastila falls I can't leave the room[/QUOTE]

frogbeastegg
05-26-2004, 21:15
Quote[/b] (nightcrawlerblue @ May 26 2004,20:39)]Argh I've gotten stuck... Can I get some help here?

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. Okay, I've gotten to Starforge deck 2 with Canderous and Bastila. However, the constant streams of Dark Jedi is too much. Bastila always falls after 3-4 fights while I can last to about 10 before finally dying. However, there doesn't seem to be an end They just keep coming and once Bastila falls I can't leave the room[/QUOTE]
That bit is incredibly annoying, and a real pain to get past. It's been months since I played KOTOR, here are my not incredibly helpful tips:

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. Put the game on easy, those Jedi are endless, and you have to get past them. Stick the game on easy so you can cut through them faster, trust me fighting for more than half an hour and getting nowhere is not fun.

DS Bastial is really weak, she has a crappy build. Try to keep her out of the fight, maybe even control her yourself. Heal her every time her heal gets low, say 1/4 remaining. Use items via the pause menu, rather than using them in game time. This will allow you to heal her much quicker.

You want to keep a constant forward momentum going, always working onwards so your next fight with the regenerating pests is closer to the doorway that will get you to safety.

Is Canderous going melee with dual weapons and heavy armour? If so he should be handling most of the fighting himself, provided he has good equipment and good feats/stats. Candy is a melee monster, if he's using a gun try altering his equipment and let him melee, see how he does. He won't be as lethal if you haven't tailored him towards melee, but he should still pack a punch[/QUOTE]

The Tuffen
05-26-2004, 23:50
Quote[/b] ]A new preview, and a detailed one at that. gamebanshee preview

I just looked at the preview and it says that you tell a NPC what happenend at the end of the first one. That way the game changes to what happened in the first one.

nightcrawlerblue
05-27-2004, 23:34
Quote[/b] (The Tuffen @ May 26 2004,17:50)]

I just looked at the preview and it says that you tell a NPC what happenend at the end of the first one. That way the game changes to what happened in the first one.
Sweet. I'm now on the final fight.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. He's using jedis as extra lives? Sick I've beaten him 2 times so far but he just keeps coming I'm hoping he only has 3-4 jedis in that room but it looks more like 20.[/QUOTE]

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-27-2004, 23:41
Quote[/b] (nightcrawlerblue @ May 27 2004,23:34)]
Quote[/b] (The Tuffen @ May 26 2004,17:50)]

Sweet. I'm now on the final fight.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. He's using jedis as extra lives? Sick I've beaten him 2 times so far but he just keeps coming I'm hoping he only has 3-4 jedis in that room but it looks more like 20.[/QUOTE]
It's easier to do it this way-

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read.
The jedi can be targeted and destroyed by force powers like lightning, or saber throw. If you have drain life you can gain health from them. If you kill all of them, you only have to fight him twice.
[/QUOTE]

Lehesu
05-28-2004, 06:21
How similar is KOTOR to NWN? Given that it is from the same designer and shares flash-words such as feats I would guess that it would be.

econ21
05-28-2004, 09:08
Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ May 28 2004,00:21)]How similar is KOTOR to NWN?
Very similar. The graphics looks similar, although significantly better (no tiles?). The rules has, as you mention with feats etc, the same core system underneath.

Some differences are:
- KOTR has more cinematic qualities: better drawn NPCs, a tighter story arc, more interesting dialogue etc.
- KOTR has a much better balanced and interesting official campaign than NWN
- KOTR has much less choice in character design: only 3 flavours of Jedi and more obvious optimal builds in terms of stats, feats, powers etc.
- KOTR is not multi-player, a big feature of NWN
- KOTR does not have an editor, arguably the biggest feature of NWN, so there are no the zillions of fan-produced modules NWN has

KOTR is a superlative game, but lacks the replayability of NWN.

The Tuffen
05-28-2004, 11:04
Malak isn't that hard i don;t think. He only posed a problem to me when i was a light side character.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. I prefered to use drain life on the jedi, if they were going to die any way they may as well aid you. Also IIRC there are only 8 jedi in the final room[/QUOTE]

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-28-2004, 17:03
Yes, he's much harder as a light-sider. Apparently, it's possible to create a light side character that simply can't beat him.

The Tuffen
05-28-2004, 17:40
Quote[/b] ]Yes, he's much harder as a light-sider. Apparently, it's possible to create a light side character that simply can't beat him.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif Why would you create one that can't beat him?

I figured he'd be harder to beat as a light side character as the rest of the game tends to be easier as a dark side character

nightcrawlerblue
05-28-2004, 17:41
Man this is hard... I'm not sure if my character is even good enough to face Malak (I don't really have any really good force powers. My only really good thing is my master power attack but it never hits Malak).

benF86
05-28-2004, 17:48
that's funny. I had a MUCH easier time as a light sider. I used the jedi tho.

I just kept force healing+force resistance+speed, while as a dark sider, he was invincible to any force power I used. Just kept resisting. That bastard.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read.
Anyways, I'd say someone with a horrendous strenght + all melee and saber bonuses you can get would kick his ass by only using critical strikes. Add the crystal that doubles the critical damage...3 hit kill I guess.[/QUOTE]

Somebody Else
05-28-2004, 18:06
I found killing Malak was rather easy...

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. I think it's the way my rogue/consular had quite a high armour class and - with dual sabres and speed on, and crystals that stun my target, could rack up several hits of about 50 damage each in one go - sneak attack + critical hits. I always seem to go for the rogue type character in these games...

Laying hundreds of mines is also a viable cheesey tactic...[/QUOTE]

The Tuffen
05-28-2004, 18:11
I didn't have the drain life power as a light side character so couldn't use the jedi http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

benF86
05-28-2004, 18:13
Quote[/b] (The Tuffen @ May 28 2004,12:11)]I didn't have the drain life power as a light side character so couldn't use the jedi http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif
emm, you don't have to have drain life. There's another that will work. It did with me at least. Just not sure whichone. Try force push perhaps. Hmm. Or sleep maybe. Well I don't know.

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-28-2004, 20:47
I used the lowest level saber throw. It was the only power I had which would do it.

The reason I say that Malak is harder as a lightsider is that almost all of your force powers won't work. I practically used just Stasis field to complete all of the other battles (that battle with the admiral is hopelessly easy when they can't move), but Malak just shrugs it off. Whereas Force lightning, drain life etc work.

discovery1
05-28-2004, 22:03
Malak is very easy.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. While force powers are useless, all one needs is a plentiful supply of verpintine prototype shields. The first one you see is looted off the admiral and you can buy them at the special arms dealing on Korriban. One cut damaged inflicted on me to 3 from 25. Also, a cheap thing to do is to give your ls char health drain just for thius battle, sice the jedis also restore your foce as well as health. And stems don't hurt.[/QUOTE]

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-28-2004, 22:51
Quote[/b] (discovery1 @ May 28 2004,22:03)]Malak is very easy.

Spoiler Alert! Highlight to read. While force powers are useless, all one needs is a plentiful supply of verpintine prototype shields. The first one you see is looted off the admiral and you can buy them at the special arms dealing on Korriban. One cut damaged inflicted on me to 3 from 25. Also, a cheap thing to do is to give your ls char health drain just for thius battle, sice the jedis also restore your foce as well as health. And stems don't hurt.[/QUOTE]
Yes, the first item you mentioned makes it a lot easier.

Redleg
01-18-2005, 14:08
Well I got my copy of the Knights of the Old Republic 2 - and completed the story line plot of the game. Overall I was very happy with the game - played it as a light side jedi - going to play it again taking the options that will turn my character to the dark side.

SwordsMaster
01-18-2005, 15:38
Indeed Malak is easy enough if you have the speed and drain life.

I've finished the game 3 times (1 pure light, 1 pure dark and one dark with a light ending - Anakin Skywalker kinda thing - , and planning doing the opposite now.) And, well after a couple of times you "learn" the options. As with everything. Anyway. I thinknthe biggest flaw of the game is that it wouldn't let you advance past level 20. I mean, I reached level 20 before even entering Korriban, left alone the Star Forge, and it was painfully suspicious seeng all your companions (except Carth whom seldom got out of the Ebon Hawk) leveling up while I had to hack through a full Sith academy without improving at all....

Another plot-related issue. Ok, noone believes you are Revan. Fair enough. But when you kill both academy masters in Korriban, the rest of the pupils stand against you instead of bowing to you as the new master. Isn't that contradictory?

As of Kotor2, is it out for Pc yet? If not, anyone know the release date?

ah_dut
01-18-2005, 23:11
11th of feb I think, at least according to PC zone

SwordsMaster
01-18-2005, 23:49
2 weeks.... Ok. ~D

Steppe Merc
01-19-2005, 02:02
I played the game, loved it. Not as good as the first of course, but still excellent!
And I will never turn dark after I did in the first game. I cried when I killed all those people! Especially will never turn dark in this one, I don't want everyone turning into zombies, especially handmaiden. ~:eek:
Though it's a shame I'll never get Hanharr... Oh well. I like being a goodie goodie anyway! ~D

SwordsMaster
01-19-2005, 02:14
I played the game, loved it. Not as good as the first of course, but still excellent!
And I will never turn dark after I did in the first game. I cried when I killed all those people! Especially will never turn dark in this one, I don't want everyone turning into zombies, especially handmaiden. ~:eek:
Though it's a shame I'll never get Hanharr... Oh well. I like being a goodie goodie anyway! ~D

Ah, these youngsters these days are getting soft...

Shame... ~;)

frogbeastegg
01-19-2005, 11:26
On behalf of the poor Europeans who don't get this until Feb 11th, and those who will pick up the game later, I would like to remind everyone about our nice spoiler tags. The move from the old forum to this one has broken all the old forum's spoiler tags so KOTOR1 spoilers are everywhere in this thread. Let's not add to them with visible KOTORII spoilers.

A reminder for those who have forgotten the tag is [spoil ]Big fat hairy spoilers here![/spoil ] Just remove the space before the final bracket in each part of the tag.

:mutters: doesn't help me any; I have to read the spoiler bits too. My game plot is likely to be ruined. ~:mecry:

SwordsMaster
02-07-2005, 11:14
so.... anyone know if its out yet?

the website says february, but doesnt specify the date...

frogbeastegg
02-07-2005, 12:19
It's already out in the US, out this Friday for the UK, and I have no idea about the other PAL countries; I suppose they would also be the 11th of February. The UK gets the PC and xbox versions on the same day this time.

SwordsMaster
02-07-2005, 23:29
:alien: Thanks , Lady Frog, will keep a close eye on this one :thumbsup:

Lehesu
02-09-2005, 04:06
Fun game. Have it on X-Box, am a little less than half-way through. Much longer/better than the original. The characers are a lot more interesting and fleshed out.

Voigtkampf
02-10-2005, 07:38
I'm supposed to review it for the PC magazine I work for occasionally (that work is for fun mostly) and will be getting it today or tomorrow.

Damn, there is so little time. I used to review those games like wild, now I manage two reviews per month, tops.

Time…enough…

Steppe Merc
02-10-2005, 14:33
The one Xbox magazine I read, the reviewer played the entire game in a week. How anyone could humanly do that, I have no idea.....

[DnC]
02-13-2005, 16:12
I've been playing KotOR 2 for some hours now and it's really nice, except for where I am now...
The game has become completely unplayable due to a very low framerate!
I've already read others complaining about the same thing with an ATI graphics card.
I really can't play on right now :embarassed: I really hope Obsidian brings out a patch soon to fix this problem.

Anyways I guess I'll spend time playing RTW untill it is fixed.

Edit: And as soon as I posted this, just a few moments later I already read a fix about it ~:handball: I'm such an impatient person.
The fix is the following: Open the swkotor2.ini file in the root directory of KotOR 2 and add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" at the "[Graphics Options]" section. Don't include the "s though! It works ~:)

71-hour Ahmed
02-13-2005, 20:44
YEAH! I have KOTOR 2 finally!!! Fun, fun, fun....Surprised frogbeastegg isn't talking about it though.

I'd talk more myself, but then I'd have to play less! Bye-bye!

frogbeastegg
02-13-2005, 21:06
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive; I ordered online. Tomorrow morning, I hope.

econ21
02-13-2005, 23:11
I've got off the mining colony at the beginning and must say I have REALLY liked the opening up to that point. What it reminded me of, that I had not expected, was System Shock 2 and that is exceptionally high praise from me.
Also, I never understood the praise lauded on HK-47 in KOTOR1 - being a light sider I guess I never gave him a chance - but he really gets a chance to shine in the KOTOR2 opening ("Coorta, oh, Coorta..."). I also rather like the "Nameless One" ish baddy so far. Very dark stuff. Excellent, as Mr Burns would say, excellent...

Lehesu
02-13-2005, 23:50
HK-47 was good in the original if you had a high repair skill. You could upgrade him three times, giving him regen and massive dex/def bonuses.

discovery1
02-14-2005, 01:27
I've got off the mining colony at the beginning and must say I have REALLY liked the opening up to that point. What it reminded me of, that I had not expected, was System Shock 2 and that is exceptionally high praise from me.
Also, I never understood the praise lauded on HK-47 in KOTOR1 - being a light sider I guess I never gave him a chance - but he really gets a chance to shine in the KOTOR2 opening ("Coorta, oh, Coorta..."). I also rather like the "Nameless One" ish baddy so far. Very dark stuff. Excellent, as Mr Burns would say, excellent...

Hk-47 isn't in the opening. The grey assassin droids are HK-50s Hk-47 is in the game though, have to find the right parts to put him back together.

econ21
02-14-2005, 02:16
Yeah, I know HK-47 specifically is not in the opening and could be powerful in KOTOR1; I was referring the voicework and general "character". From what I saw in KOTOR1, they were rather unimpressive dark humour IMO. In the KOTOR2 opening, they put a real shiver down my spine.

I've just got off Telos city onto the rural areas. The city was more reminiscent of KOTOR1. Solid, but not as atmospheric as the opening on the mine.

Lehesu
02-14-2005, 03:03
The mine gets ridiculously repetetive when you start a lot of games. Man...

Boohugh
02-14-2005, 21:03
I can't believe it, I played through the entire game (took 30+ hours) without becoming a master jedi. I had to go online and look at an faq to find out when it was meant to happen. It made the end of the game ridiculously hard and involved much reloading ~:pissed:.

It says in the manual that the chance to choose your master speciality comes at a critical plot point, which is clearly complete :furious3: as I seemed to miss it even though I completed every quest available to me.

If you don't want this happening to you:

Apparently, make sure you talk to Kreia when your character reaches level 15 and she will give you the opportunity. I haven't had time to play through the entire game again to check this out though.

frogbeastegg
02-14-2005, 21:05
Got it. I've played for about 2 hours; I just met and had a very long chat with a certain black droid on the mining station. I will second the SS2 comparision, although KOTORII is not nearly as sophisicated and not the least bit unnerving, at least to me.

Pray excuse me while I frown and mutter about the entire quest for the last game ending up slightly pointless; I saved the galaxy and the jedi and they got wiped out a few years later. Gah! Froggy no like. :neatly swaps KOTORII into an alternate universe from the original so it does not mess up the long and complex ending she had thought up for the assorted characters in answer to a topic over a year ago: Even the darkside ending of KOTOR is rather pointless now; Reven should be ruling the galaxy!

Meh, always the problem with sequels.

econ21
02-14-2005, 22:05
Got it. I've played for about 2 hours ... not the least bit unnerving, at least to me.

There's a cutscene involving a ship very shortly after you first done a spacesuit. It was pretty freaky, although tastes may differ. The final log of Coorta was also spine-chilling - largely due to some certain voicework.

BTW, thanks for the spoiler, LordHugh - I would urge every player to highlight it. It does not involve giving away the plot and I suspect like LordHugh I would have missed it.

I've left Telo and the plot is quite intriguing at the moment - especially Kreia. I keep losing influence with her despite playing a whiter than white character. Her relationship with the main protaganist is an unusual one that does not fall into any ready stereotypes. I've avoided all plot spoilers as story and character are what KOTOR seems to do best, and I'm not disappointed.
~:cheers:

Steppe Merc
02-15-2005, 01:58
While it may seem odd, the whole thing about Revan, trust me it makes more sense... at least I think. I need to play through as dark side (must force myself to be mean) to find out more about Revan, but you do find more out, and why the Jedi are gone, or Revan isn't running the show. You get more info from Kreia (god I hate her), and everyone's favorite astromech if your light side. But you have to be dark side to gain favore with a certaint crazy droid (who I love, even though I'm a goodie), and my favorite character:
Mandolore... won't say how he's connected to Revan though... ~;)

That and I want to control a walking carpet.
But I think this game has even more replay value with all the character relations. In order to explore all the characters, you have to play at least once through light and dark each. Peragus is a bit repetative, but I really liked it the first time through.
And about the advanced Jedi classes, thank goodness I got the walkthrough to tell me about it. I also found something to help a problem I always had with the first game.
I loved being a soldier, and having a lot of battle prowes. But you miss out a lot, due to your low intellegince and awareness (even bigger here). So I start out as a Sentienel and then switch to the warrior class later on. Of course I could try being a consolar, but I love battles to much to wear Jedi robes.

And to keep on Kreia's good side, you have to be neither good or bad. You have to be like her: neutral. But she respects intelligence, which is my only saving grace as she always get angry at me for being too nice.

discovery1
02-15-2005, 04:14
@ Lord Hugh: Ugh, only now that my char is lvl 22 do I learn this. /Cries

About Mandalor, doesn't the voice give it away?

Voigtkampf
02-15-2005, 08:45
I don’t like KOTOR 2.

It plays like a mod rather than a sequel, with an exception of the voice acting which is superb all the way through.

Kreia makes me wanna put a blade into her forehead, that Hans-double is irritating and his puns are rarely funny. The sidekicks, erm, your companions are nowhere near those interesting ones from the first part. I just finished Telos and I’m ready to start swooping the galaxy, and already I might say how impressed I am by the monotony of the game and its dull appearance. The worlds seen so far are very ugly, not to mention the interior of the Telos underground domain of Atris, which is as ugly and plain as can possibly be.

And what’s with this “wow, I got whooped in my head and can’t remember a thing, while everyone around me knows everything about me, having besides that their own secret and dangerous agendas” jive? I mean, isn’t that cheap? I swear if the next part starts the same way, I’ll use the CD’s as cup holders.

Not to mention that the original KOTOR came out almost two years ago and the sequel hasn’t seen any technological, graphical or other engine-like improvement. Just a make-over, that’s all.

All in all, no big deal, KOTOR 2 is like a bad make-over of the first part. Sequel problems, once again. Sadly, due to some gameplay designs and the uninspired approach from its creators, it hasn’t reached the quality of the first part.

King Edward
02-15-2005, 11:13
Hello Folks, I haven't read this thread as i want to play the game with as little story line knowledge as possible, but I want to pass a little tech tip that annoyed me when I purchased the game yesterday.

If you have a Radion Video card you must download the latest driver or the game will hang after the first part of the intro (Ebon Hawk floating through the asteroids).

Just a tip incase anyone has the same problem I had.

frogbeastegg
02-15-2005, 11:29
I played a bit more last night; I've just seen the bit where Kreia went to play with Darth Barbeque. What a Bastila copycat; doesn't she know going to play alone with Sith lords before the end of the game results in pain and trauma?!

I haven't found any of it creepy, but I suppose the spaceship docking bit is more awe inspiring when you play it on something larger than a 14" TV. Coorta's last log was more confusing than chilling - the two main characters talking there had identical skins so I couldn't tell who was who.

I just saw a log involving Admiral Onassi. Carth's back, and he still has those bangs.

Another spoiler along the same lines as LordHugh's, something I nearly did which I know very strongly suspect I would have been cursing liberally. Kreia: don't buy any of the dual wield feats for her. I was going to until I decided to keep her with single wielding, and having seen a certain cutscene I'm very glad I did.

I'd agree with some of voigtkampf's technical points. I have the XBOX version because I couldn't be bothered messing around with installs and all the usual PC issues, and I have the original on the XBOX too because of that delightfully long lag between the PC release. I'm finding a lot of slowdown, and it is quite ugly in many places. The audio is partly messed up; sometimes it is very, very soft while others it is fine. It's like stereo sound is taken to mean 'full cinema surround sound for the ultra rich with big houses'. I've seen a few of my old characters from KOTOR running about several times too - they reused the old player character faces on minor NPCs. I find they very ... distracting. Overall the problems are not horrendous but they do detract quite a bit and it feels lazy, like the game needed another couple of months.

The story so far is not bad, and it has potential, but somehow I think I liked KOTOR's more at this point. However the beginning is the beginning, and there's plenty of time left for things to change. I just wish they had avoided the amnesiac Jedi and suicidal female Jedi things this time around.

The voicework is very good so far. Kreia reminds me of someone, Maggie Smith, I think. I've got nothing but praise here; I hadn't heard a single duff line.

I do like the way all skills now have some use to them; in KOTOR it was so easy just to focus on the handful of good skills and ignore the rest without problems. Now it seems like every skill has its use. There are so many feats and force powers to choose from! I can't see how I'm even going to get a fraction of them if this game has the same level limit as its predecessor. Is there a level cap again, and if so what level?

So far the game is very, very easy, but so was the original and with this kind of game I would much rather have too easy than too hard.

I think the most important fact from the frog is this: My latest savegame reports I have played for around 5 hours. I was playing until nearly midnight. Usually I only play games in 30 minute spurts and for no more than a couple of hours, and that's assuming I'm really grabbed by the game. The last game to make me play this much at once was KOTOR. I've been looking for a game which has this effect for over a year now, and until yesterday I had not found one.

Boohugh
02-15-2005, 12:41
Don't worry Miss Frog, there isn't a character level limit this time, although I suppose it is partly limited by the number of quests available.

You still won't be able to get most of the feats or force powers though, just because there are so many. There will also be the extra ones available when you become a jedi master, which I didn't get to see ~:mecry:.

Another tech tip for people with Radeon cards: If you experience massive slowdown on the first area of Dantooine, just change some of your graphics settings (texture quality or anti-aliasing, etc) and it should go back to normal framerate. When you move area, you can change the graphics settings back again. I don't know what causes it, but it only affects the first area where the Ebon Hawk lands.

[DnC]
02-15-2005, 12:58
There are so many feats and force powers to choose from! I can't see how I'm even going to get a fraction of them if this game has the same level limit as its predecessor. Is there a level cap again, and if so what level?

I read it was level 50. I myself am level 21 or 22 at the moment. Leveling up is so much faster then in the original, but then again it has to be somewhat faster, otherwise reaching level 50 might be impossible.

Boohugh
02-15-2005, 13:13
I only reached level 26 when I completed it, and I finished most quests, so I doubt you can go much beyond level 30 just because the experience points don't exist in the game. I presume there is an experience point cheat for the PC version (there was in the first one). You could find out by using that and giving yourself a huge amount of experience.

Steppe Merc
02-15-2005, 14:11
voigtkampf, I disagree. While the framerate and other graphical problems are annoying, and I have it one Xbox so I don't know how bad it is, I think the game is really good. Not as good as the first, but it's the little things: a lot more options with characters, more point of skills, the option to upgrade everything...

discovery1, perhaps, but not everyone's up to that point yet. But it's more of finding out why he is where he is than who he is.

frogbeastegg
02-15-2005, 18:05
I'm now 6 1/2 hours in and I just started wandering Telos. Really some of this is giving me heavy deja vous from KOTOR A force bond. An amnesiac Jedi. A female Jedi doing lectures and being very standoffish at the start. A smart mouthed probably supposed to be cute man who can really fly like a pro. The male character and female Jedi argue endlessly. A mysterious Sith chasing the character for mostly unknown reasons, destroying scenery in the process. Being arrested for something you did not do. Getting hopelessly lost in the maze like interior of the Ebon Hawk. Leaving the first world to end up forced to go to another planet where your characters have no idea what to do next but will soon acquire a larger mission which will (presumably, I haven't actually got that far yet) lead them to several other planets in an order of your choice.
There's probably plenty more. The game is good but the similarities are really beginning to hmm ... bother, I suppose, me. Combined with the graphics, interface and other similarities and I really do feel like I am playing a slightly different twist on the old game rather than an entirely new one. I still like it, but it is not original.

I have noticed the subtitles are full of typos and errors, errors like noting there is static when there is none, or stating there is a pause when the two voice tracks are done in rapid succession. It makes the audio feel as if they did not quite finish tweaking it for effects and dramatic pauses. The typos are unavoidable, but I have seen something around 4 of them now, ranging from strange spaces to missing letters. So many in such a short space feels rushed.

:pouts: When do I get a lightsabre? I wanna lightsabre! I wanna lightsabre now!! [/little kid mode off]

I can’t decide if I like Atton and Kria or if I want to taser them. I’m leaning very slightly towards like, I think. I still like Bastila better :tongueg:

I found out more about what supposedly happened after the last game. I think I’ll keep this firmly lodged in alternate universe land; I preferred my own ending. Thou shalt not separate Revan and Bastila, the two wandering lightside jedi people with the whole neat force bond/love thing :feels utterly pathetic for wanting a mushy ending like that: I hate romance but those two really did work best together, mostly because of the force bond.

I'm still liking the game, but that feeling it needed another couple of months is growing ever stronger.

SwordsMaster
02-15-2005, 18:25
but that feeling it needed another couple of months is growing ever stronger.

Well, you can stop playing for a couple of monts and let it mature like wine.... ~D

Ok, sorry about the joke.

The likes:

- It looks good. It is not original, but as the first one looked good, this one does too with some slightly more polished details.

- You get force powers from the beginning.

- The soundwork is good.

- It is overall addictive and etertaining enough, even if it feels more like "chapter 2" rather than "book 2".

- Your decisions are much more significant than in KOTOR.

The dont likes:

- Storyline does not depend on the first one.
- Same "type" of argument.

I havent tried the subtitles yet (only had the game for about 2 hours of play).

I like it overall though. It does keep me entertained, although I dont know if it was worth the whole 55 quid I paid for it....

ah_dut
02-15-2005, 19:21
55 quis is more than a tad steep for any game isn't it?

Steppe Merc
02-16-2005, 01:08
Quid is a pound? Some stores usaully have better prices than others...

Froggy, here is an answer to some of your questions about the similarity:
Froggy, trust me, Kreia isn't really much like Bastilla. Thankfully, there is no love plot with her. But rather a love triangle (two party members fall for you) if your a guy, and a love .... square I guess? (three people fall for you) if your female.

As for some of the other simularities, the story isn't really much like the original once you get into it more. At least that's what I thought.

Lehesu
02-16-2005, 01:43
Trust me, KOTOR 2 has infinitely more replay value than the original. Infinite. I found KOTOR rather pedestrian, with character choices very easy to make, all the items in the exact same spot. In KOTOR 2, the character are...much more complex, both in RPG elements and storyline. And all the items are random for every game. This way, you find yoursefl with vastly different inventories, using equipment you never would have dreamed of using in the original. Lightsabers are more complex, having 6 parts instead of 3. Most all items are upgradeable. This game forces a lot of decisions, starting from the miniscule and building further up. Decisions that are often different for each game because of character difference and how lucky drops are.

Steppe Merc
02-16-2005, 13:48
Agreed. While the storyline may not be as good, you have a lot more power over your past and your present.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-17-2005, 00:36
Did anybody else feel just a tiny bit ripped off by the ending?

Steppe Merc
02-17-2005, 01:08
I felt ripped off, yeah... But their's an obvious sequel set up... Though I wanted more closure. The first one I felt a diffinent closing. Not so much with this one.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-17-2005, 01:17
I also think they took the whole 'shades of grey' thing a bit too far. They needed a more definite demarcation, like the first. Revan was a more interesting character to play as, also.

It's still a great game mind, just not as good as the first storyline wise. Although the dialogue was better.

discovery1
02-17-2005, 02:57
The ending left me empty, unlike seeing the Sith fleet advancing from the Star Forge. I also thought that Darth T was a little easy, but I spammed with force crush and had dozens of life support packs

The game itself was rather good though. I didn't really explore the other characters in my first run thru though, the blind sith aside

Steppe Merc
02-17-2005, 17:28
Yeah, the whole grey thing was a bit too far... But I think that's interesting. And in the end, is anyone tottally good or bad? But Revan was a lot more interesting... Though I think Haindmaden could give Bastilla a run for her money... Too bad she's practically bald...

And I'm trying to go dark in a new game... Not doing so well, mainly because I still want my characters to like me.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-17-2005, 18:20
Yeah, the whole grey thing was a bit too far... But I think that's interesting. And in the end, is anyone tottally good or bad? But Revan was a lot more interesting... Though I think Haindmaden could give Bastilla a run for her money... Too bad she's practically bald...

And I'm trying to go dark in a new game... Not doing so well, mainly because I still want my characters to like me.

Yeah, I have that problem. I just can't be evil.

ChaosPunisher
02-17-2005, 18:31
lol i have KOTOR 1 but i rented 2 and it wasnt that fun the first level was confusing and VERY VERY LONG
KOTOR 1 though i am almost done with that i am on that last planet and am stuck there but i will start playing it again later on and might beat it

Punisher

Steppe Merc
02-17-2005, 23:03
I'm going to try for what I call the Canderous aspect: not necassirily evil, but warlike, and not somewhat greedy.

SwordsMaster
02-18-2005, 11:19
Hmm.... Im now almost half way through Telos...

IS that guy besieging the Ithorians really Canderous? He does look like him...

I also like the guy with the force-field-arm thing...

BTW, I Im fed up with Kreia. I dont like this, I dont like that Im your master and Im not answering questions....

Ah...

frogbeastegg
02-18-2005, 12:04
I just finished Dantooine, my first planet after Telos.

I'm finding now the only character I like much is Atton; all the rest are boring, annoying or just bland. The guy with the replacement arm is the worst; boring voice, not much to say, not very interesting in combat, no good skills except his obligatory force field remover, and overall just bland. The Handmaiden, urgh! Her terrible hairdo is the best aspect of her; the only thing stopping her from being my most disliked character is the fact she is quite decent in hand to hand unarmed combat. Kreia whinges incessantly because I'm lightsiding, and refuses to say anything about anything. Since she's a greysiding character that is understandable, but it gets very, very repetitive.

Who said the Handmaiden may be better than Bastila? And where is my 'ban peon' button? :tongueg: Bastila could slice the Handmaiden into two, levitate the pieces into a rubbish dump, and then hold a decent conversation afterwards. She also has a better haircut.

That brings me to my second point. So far these NPCs have much less development and personality than the originals. They don't have nice little conversations as you walk around, and even with my character they barely have anything to say. Atton I like, and that is because he has had about three times as much development than the others. I can tell he is going to be the female character love interest, but my Jedi is male. I have this horrible suspicion I am going to be hit on my Handmaiden. :help:

Speaking of romances, I begin to doubt any of them will have the depth and … erm … strangely addictive factor the two in the original had. Pity; I found both romances really added a whole lot of depth to Carth and Bastila, and proved strangely … heartwarming, especially the Bastila one. I hate romance; KOTORII’s looks set to be every bit as tedious as the ones in BGII :mutters:

I really miss those funny little nothing scenes between characters that randomly popped up as you walked around, scenes like Bastila tripping Mission up with the force after a squabble. I'm about 15 hours in now, and by this point in KOTOR I had developed a real liking for Bastila, and was fond of all the other characters I had available except T3. In KOTOR every single character except T3 gained something new to say every time they gained a level, in addition to those random little scenes. Currently in KOTORII I only have a drop of caring for Atton; everyone else you can vaporise.

Atris ... is it too evil if I say she is delusional and in need of a lightsabre to the neck? I do hope not, or this poor froggy is going to start looking for red lightsabre crystals.

The story is just not having that grab, in many ways it has lost what grab it did start with. The new information it is drip feeding me I either guessed at or already knew from previous cutscenes. It hints at potentially interesting things but refuses to say anything, instead hinting at the same few things over and over until I get sick of hearing about it. Oh, cryptic comments about your trial? Can do. More than cryptic comments you have already heard many times? Sorry, fresh out of stock on that.

Related whining from a frog: Gah! Why is it I find myself going through the same conversations with characters over and over again? A lot of lines seem to be linked into multiple triggers, so in one conversation you can end up back on one subject from another and forced to repeat a part of your conversation.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-18-2005, 17:35
Yes, the love interest was a bit disapointing-Bastila was far superior. She was the only video game character I've ever found genuinely sexy-although I think that was down to the accent more than anything.

Steppe Merc
02-18-2005, 18:49
Yeah Bastilla's hair was a lot better... I don't like girls who's hair is shorter than mine, as a rule. ~;)
But Handmaiden I think is pretty cool, and the other love intrest (probably didn't get to her yet). And Froggy, instead of having the walking around random conversations, it's when you do something, they react to it. Some fighting is done on the ship, especially between Handmaiden and the other love intrest.

But I can see how Bastilla is cooler... she's more fun to make fun of.

frogbeastegg
02-18-2005, 19:24
I have only had one reaction to what I was doing, and that was the handmaiden whinging when I chose the lie option and said I would help the mercenaries on Dantooine. I told her to shut her face :gring: There have been many occasions where I was expecting a reaction too. Maybe I need to take Kreia instead of Atton and Handmaiden?

Characters used to react this way in KOTOR too :mutters about feeling the sequel has really lost out on something here:

Teasing Bastila was one of the nice aspects of KOTOR; it passed the time, has great voice acting, was often humorous, and often helped move the plot and character development along. "Yes, well ... but I ... you are a very strange man, you know that?" Teasing Carth was fun too; he fought back a bit.

Lehesu
02-18-2005, 22:36
When your party is in the ship, they will do random things every time you enter the ship from planetside. This replaces the random dialog in the middle of a quest thing. There are actually quite a lot of little side chatter that goes on, especially when you have all the characters. More than original KOTOR.

I beg to differ that these characters are "less" developed than others. You simply haven't learned jack-squat about any of them yet. Please reserve judgement until you are further into the game. And, depending on how you play, you may never find out everything about everybody; influence is an important factor with each character especially when you want to make the big "switch" for them. And I will leave that appropriately vague and mysterious.

ChaosPunisher
02-19-2005, 00:27
i think u guys play this alot i think im gonna get it too.

Punisher

71-hour Ahmed
02-19-2005, 12:26
hmmm... my game keeps skipping the speech! has some advantages when its boring man talking, but I have to keep reloading the game from a save to hear the speech...(although its not doing it as much recently )

Bastila annoyed me a lot in certain ways... but that was because of her characters nature and storyline and not the fact she was badly designed. ie. I never forgave her for betrayal.. The actual characterisation was very well done, as previous said, she had a great voice actress and lines. Her hair style was a also little lacking in elan mind. Carth for me was similar when I played a female character... his attitude came to piss me off in certain aspects... but I still ended up somewhat attached to him as well.

In comparison...Kreia annoys me a little, Atton says nothing to me (all I can do is play him at PazaaK), handmaiden is NOT good at combat as far as I can tell, and Bau-dor seems to be a little pointless now. Also since when were kinraths wandering randomly across the grass in Dantooine?

What am I trying to say? hmmm.... KOTOR had a great storyline with the characters, thats what made it so good. Even the things that annoyed me about characters were deliberate traits of those characters and part of who they were. ie. Bastila was meant to be a high and mighty cow at times when expediency won out over hard work and being nice. KOTOR 2 to date lacks this... but is still somewhat interesting. There are some hooks in me from this game, but they are more focussed on the NPCs (like those fricking droids) than the characters in my party, who are more there for firepower.

finally, I'll add that I've had a few comments on my actions from others. Kreia in particular disliked my ways of dealing with some problems the Stalin way (no person, no problem ~;) ) and Handmaiden is similar.

BTW, my thoughts on Telos: isn't Handmaiden another word for....ahem....concubine? So that means Atris is surrounding herself with....ahem. ~:eek:

Lehesu
02-19-2005, 17:00
No, handmaiden is not a concubine. A handmaiden is a servant.

Steppe Merc
02-19-2005, 18:04
I think Handmaiden is very good. Atton, Mira, Handmaiden and Bao-Dur can all get very good:
They can be trained as Jedi

You just need to work with them. And you can talk to Atton after Nar Shadda.
And the kinrath have a reason for being there... obviously you didn't talk to everyone.

frogbeastegg
02-19-2005, 18:24
I haven’t learned anything about the characters and that is what I am complaining about. After 15 hours and around 14 gained levels, countless attempts to talk to my party, loads of wandering, a few cutscenes, and many occasions where I expected someone to pipe up with something I find I still know barely anything about these people. 15 hours! 15 hours and these characters have not developed at all, and I can’t even say I have been wasting time and not advancing the plot. The game is supposed to be 30-40 hours long, meaning I am not quite halfway, and I am still sat here waiting for the party members to become more than faces and names.

So they now do random chatter when you enter the Hawk? Good! I was beginning to wonder if the characters would ever develop; character development and plot are why I am playing the game. On my next gaming session I will enter and exit the ship repeatedly and see what happens. I will say this is a rather clumsy mechanism though; I go to a planet, do everything I can and then leave, so I very rarely go on the ship and will probably only do so the minimum number of times anyway. That means I inevitably miss out on a lot because I am focusing on the world and talking, rather than walking in and out of a ship when I think I have no reason to.

The presence of the kinrath on the grasslands was explained in game; they became more aggressive for reasons unknown and started swarming onto the grasslands. The cave entrance was blasted, but they dug a new exit and picked up much where they left off, becoming a significant threat to the settlers.

Steppe Merc
02-19-2005, 19:08
Froggy, the best way for characters to advance in my humble opion is to follow this path:
Go to Dantooine, but don't do the plot. Leave to Nar Shadda. Finish Nar Shadda.
Then go to Onderon. After that, go to Dantooine, finish it. Then go to Korriban.
Then go from their.
That path helps you get the most amount of characters in the shortest amount of time, which gives them most amount of character devolpment and in fighting.

Kaiser of Arabia
02-19-2005, 23:24
onderon is teh best planet imho

Boohugh
02-19-2005, 23:44
I've started playing through again, but as a dark sider this time. I've found you need to make the effort to get to know all the characters. Rather than waiting for them to talk to you, which only occasionally happens, spend some time every so often trying to talk to all your characters. It is quite time consuming, but so far I have found it helps fill in blank spots in the story.

One of my criticisms the first time I played through it was that I often found myself having conversations where information would be used that I hadn't previously been told, because I hadn't spoken to the right people enough. This isn't happening this time because I am spending a lot of time talking to all the characters.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-19-2005, 23:45
Yes, I enjoyed Onderon the most.

discovery1
02-20-2005, 08:22
Ok I need help:

After two run throughs I finally decieded to get the handmanden, but I have no idea how. After the talk with Artis, I have explored the place throughly and fought them in their quarters, but still no maiden. I think the handmaden is the last handmaden, but I have been unsuccesful in having her follow me. Wow. Do I feel dumb. Turns out my character has to be male, which mine isn't :help:

Boohugh
02-20-2005, 18:03
All is not lost discovery1:

Don't worry, she will sneak aboard your ship when you leave Atris's academy, you don't have to get her to follow you

EDIT: But I just noticed that you have completed it twice, so maybe you do have to be male.

Steppe Merc
02-20-2005, 18:37
You HAVE to be male. If your female, you get a different character on Dantooine.

Lehesu
02-20-2005, 20:21
There are four people that depend on the player's character. Two depend on the sex of the character. The other two depend on light/dark affiliation of the character.

Steppe Merc
02-20-2005, 20:32
Yup. That's why I'm trying to go dark... but I'll never be female.

discovery1
02-20-2005, 21:12
Thanks for pointing that out to me. My chars were female.

econ21
02-21-2005, 00:55
Just finished the game and am one very satisfied customer. I would rate it up there with the first, which is very high praise for me. I think I prefer it, as it has a darker tone - as advertised, it is Empire Strikes Back to KOTOR1's original Star Wars. KOTOR1 - played as lightside - was basically very sunny and rather adolescent, whereas KOTOR2 has more of a sense of menace and feels more adult.

I admit there is no romantic rival to Bastilla (although I took rather a liking to Visas). But as an interesting character, I think Kreia gives her a run for her money. Kreia really develops as the plot goes on and all the "feelings" you have towards her suddenly make sense. By contrast, in KOTOR1, Bastilla suddenly became uninteresting after you kissed her! I never clicked through any of Kreia's speechwork. And I was rather sad when she and my character were separated at the end of the game - something I can't recall ever feeling about a CRPG character.

I also preferred the planets and associated sideplots in KOTOR2 - they had more character, whereas in KOTOR1 I found them more bland. They had central plots to them that were great fun and rather original for a CRPG. I'd agree Onderon was probably the best - it cleverly borrowed the best bits (bit?) from Episode 1.

I think this sequel confirms my opinion that the KOTOR model is the future for CRPGs - ie make games that are cinematic, with good plots and interesting characters. Stats, loot and combat may be necessary but alone can't make a game. In some ways, I think Vampire: Bloodlines took this model even further. Two brilliant CPRGs within 6 months of each other - don't know when we've been so spoilt...

Steppe Merc
02-21-2005, 01:47
Haha, I knew you'd like it Simon! Now try playing as dark... it's hard trust me, but you can explore more things. Also the game is different (slightly) depending on whether Revan was dark or light... and I suppose female or male, but for me, I can never imagine Revan as a female!

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-21-2005, 02:59
t is Empire Strikes Back to KOTOR1's original Star Wars.

does this mean that KOTOR 3 will have Ewoks and a second death star, EVEN MORE POWERFUL THAN THE FIRST?

ShadesPanther
02-21-2005, 17:24
Please God not the Ewoks

frogbeastegg
02-21-2005, 18:07
Woohoo! After a few days of not having time to play I managed a couple of hours today. The tip about character development mostly taking place on the Hawk was a good one; thanks. I had to enter and exit the ship a few times before the events and new conversation options kicked in, but when they did I spent just over an hour chattering, sparring, philosophising and generally mucking about with my crew. Excellent; exactly what I was expecting and hungering for during those 15 hours of play. Strangely, now as I walk about on Nar Shadda I am getting the inter character scenes I was expecting before; Kreia is butting in with her advice, Atton is trying to look big and important, and the Handmaiden and er ... what's her name in the red robes are both fighting away over my character. This is much more like it, and my interest in the game is restored back to its original levels.

I have already finished Dantooine but I will follow the rest of the recommended plant order as far as possible. I can branch out a little more in my subsequent play throughs; I plan to do all four possible characters (male light/dark, female light/dark).

I finally have a lightsabre too, and that always helps. Violet; quite nice, though I am not sure it goes with the greenish coloured Jedi robes my character is wearing.

Steppe Merc
02-21-2005, 20:19
Froggy, the lady in red is Visas... And yeah, the path that I laid out is good. The characters changes are a lot better and have a lot more in game effect than before.

SwordsMaster
02-22-2005, 15:00
Ok, for you people who have completed it:

Where do I get a lightsaber?

I'm half way through Nar Shadaa and I still havent got one. The closest I've been to one:

when Atris shows you your own at the Telos Academy.

I know about the Hutts treasury, but I cant do that one anymore

discovery1
02-22-2005, 15:22
You can build your own. Ask the tech with the remote if you have the right parts.

SwordsMaster
02-22-2005, 15:32
You can build your own. Ask the tech with the remote if you have the right parts.

That option doesnt show up when Im on the ship, and I dont usually keep him with me.... But I guess I'll have to now.

Thanks m8! ~:cheers:

Fragony
02-22-2005, 16:36
Just finished the game and am one very satisfied customer. I would rate it up there with the first, which is very high praise for me. I think I prefer it, as it has a darker tone - as advertised, it is Empire Strikes Back to KOTOR1's original Star Wars. KOTOR1 - played as lightside - was basically very sunny and rather adolescent, whereas KOTOR2 has more of a sense of menace and feels more adult.

I admit there is no romantic rival to Bastilla (although I took rather a liking to Visas). But as an interesting character, I think Kreia gives her a run for her money. Kreia really develops as the plot goes on and all the "feelings" you have towards her suddenly make sense. By contrast, in KOTOR1, Bastilla suddenly became uninteresting after you kissed her! I never clicked through any of Kreia's speechwork. And I was rather sad when she and my character were separated at the end of the game - something I can't recall ever feeling about a CRPG character.

I also preferred the planets and associated sideplots in KOTOR2 - they had more character, whereas in KOTOR1 I found them more bland. They had central plots to them that were great fun and rather original for a CRPG. I'd agree Onderon was probably the best - it cleverly borrowed the best bits (bit?) from Episode 1.

I think this sequel confirms my opinion that the KOTOR model is the future for CRPGs - ie make games that are cinematic, with good plots and interesting characters. Stats, loot and combat may be necessary but alone can't make a game. In some ways, I think Vampire: Bloodlines took this model even further. Two brilliant CPRGs within 6 months of each other - don't know when we've been so spoilt...

You can kiss bastilla?????? I always pick female characters, please don't tell me I will have to finish the game for the 4th time to see it ~D

econ21
02-23-2005, 10:38
You can kiss bastilla??????

Oh boy, you've really missed something there. I am a happy married man, but the male main character's relationship with Bastilla is so effectively done, I was casting nervous glances at my bedroom door to see if my wife would walk in. The thing was not helped by having my young son sitting at my side as I played it, making me speed click through the romantic dialogue. Unfortunately, he reads as fast as I click. But he was also old enough to appreciate the fun dialogue - there are some great lines teasing her - and did not rat me out.

I always pick female characters, please don't tell me I will have to finish the game for the 4th time to see it ~D

You will have to finish the game for the first time. Definitely. KOTOR has very little replay value for me - like a film or a book, it's the story and characters that make it for me. But the Bastilla romance is so well done, it's worth a 4th time. Unfortunately, as I say, it comes to a shuddering stop about halfway through the game and is never really replaced with any equally engaging NPC interaction, but it is very nicely done.

I also tend to pick female characters in RPGs - on the principle of whose face (or butt) I'd rather have to spend 40+ hours staring at - but somehow I had been warned that the romance sidequest in KOTOR was good enough to deviate from my usual practice.

SwordsMaster
02-23-2005, 16:37
YeY!

Got a Lightsaber! Beware Galaxy! ~D

Anyway:

Does Mira also add to the list of women on my ship I potentially have a romance with?

Thanks

AggonyDuck
02-23-2005, 17:34
The one Xbox magazine I read, the reviewer played the entire game in a week. How anyone could humanly do that, I have no idea.....

Hehehe, I finished the game in a weekend... ~D

Steppe Merc
02-23-2005, 22:55
SwordsMaster:
No, not to my knowledge. You can try and flirt with her but she calls you old, and says she doesn't want to have to beat up the other girls... ~D

And Duck, I prefer going through everything, and missing nothing... that and my mom not wanting me to be glued to the TV for hours on end. ~;)

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-23-2005, 23:17
Hehehe, I finished the game in a weekend... ~D

I did 45 hours in three days.

Monk
02-23-2005, 23:47
I did 45 hours in three days.

i did 40 hours in 4 days. i am so happy i finally finished.

did anyone else not listen to Kriea at the end when she gave you the chance to hear the future? I just skipped that whole sequence. i'd rather think of it as [yoda mode] "difficult to see, the future is."[/yoda mode] ~;) ~D

frogbeastegg
02-23-2005, 23:48
I found this link (http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29764) on another forum in a harmless looking topic. Beware it is packed with spoilers! Don't read it unless you have finished the game. It contains huge amounts of dialogue and links to soundclips of lines, scenes and endings cut from the game.

Steppe Merc
02-25-2005, 20:55
I don't really get it... it mentions Handmaiden and Disciple in the same scene... which is impossible...
And I must say, I really don't agree with all those nay sayers... the ending could have been better, sure but I liked it, at least the light side, as I haven't seen the dark side yet.

SwordsMaster
02-26-2005, 02:03
It says in the manual that the chance to choose your master speciality comes at a critical plot point, which is clearly complete as I seemed to miss it even though I completed every quest available to me.

I did as you suggested, m8, but I didnt get any options... ~:confused: Hope it is more of a "planet dependency" thing...

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-26-2005, 02:05
I did as you suggested, m8, but I didnt get any options... ~:confused: Hope it is more of a "planet dependency" thing...

To get the master discipline, talk to Freia once you have reached level 15

SwordsMaster
02-26-2005, 02:18
To get the master discipline, talk to Freia once you have reached level 15

Im on level 18 now, and I´ve been taking her in my group since I was at 14 and talking to her on every occasion, but no luck....

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-26-2005, 02:32
Have you tried doing it on the Ebon Hawk? That was when I did it.

SwordsMaster
02-26-2005, 02:38
Have you tried doing it on the Ebon Hawk? That was when I did it.

Yup, I tried and the only options I had was the typical "teach me about force" and "I have other questions" lines....

Lehesu
02-26-2005, 02:57
Do you have Visas Marr? You must have her to get prestige levels.

discovery1
02-26-2005, 03:16
Are you sure you don't have to sufficiently alligned to one side?

The Tuffen
02-26-2005, 05:46
I did it when i was level 20 something

Merlin271
02-26-2005, 11:28
It doesn't matter where you talk to her, I did it on Nar Shadaar. You have to have had Visas Marr join your party, and you have to be clearly light or dark side. (She has to offer you sith or jedi mastery, and she cant do that if your grey) and at level 15 (or over - not sure about that as i did it at precisely level 15)

frogbeastegg
02-26-2005, 12:00
I heard you have to be level 15 and 75% light or dark to get a prestige class. Not sure how true that is; my character is still level 14 and I haven't been able to play for a few days. I would also expect that the option will be contained in the 'teach me about the force' tree; kreia gains more and more options there as you grow.

On the endings: I haven't seen any of them yet thanks to being busy, but I did like some of the cut endings and ending parts, especially the two with light/dark Atton and a female character. The Handmaiden thing was explained later on There are loads of characters called 'Handmaiden'. The scene probably takes place between Disciple and one of those other handmaidens. Either that or you could originally get Handmaiden and Disciple to meet somehow but this was dropped when the scenes were cut

And yes, this does mean I have encountered heavy spoilers before finishing the game. :sigh: Unmarked. Another forum. Condensed plot spoilers. Just one small sentence ruined it all for me. With no warning. In a topic marked 'no spoilers please'. Thank you very much. ~:mecry:

FordPrefect
02-26-2005, 12:53
WARNING MINOR SPOILER!
hey all, i saw that you ppl talk bout kotr 2 now, so i was wondering if someone knows what needs to be done in order to get the exchange or bounty hunters to come after me on nar shagga (spelled it right?). i won the swoop races, the pazaak games, killed the exchange boss and that other gang. and most other side quests i found. but they just wont come after me. sure on other planets but on naar shagga im stuck. cant get to the real exchange boss. or the bounty hunters for that matter. help anyone?

Steppe Merc
02-26-2005, 19:33
Just to let you know, it's Nar Shaddaa.... ~;)
Here are some hints, not sure if you did:
Did you talk to the small little rat looking dude outside the cantina? Not the Champ, but he tells you where you stand with the Exchange. Did you get involved with the two merchants? That helps... Often, when you are in the same area with your ship, you have to walk towars the exit that leads to the Hutt (you got involved with him right? He's key...). Then you should see a cut scene with your ship... After you deal with that, you should be able to meet with the Exchange...

And Froggy, I'm confused... did you finish the game or not? Cause those aren't real endings...

ShadesPanther
02-26-2005, 22:52
I'm stuck

I'm stuck in Duxn
When attacking the Sith temple at the same time as going to Iziz. My party includes Handmaiden, Visas and repairman. I just can't defeat the 3 dark Jedi. Visas is level 17 the others at 16, any ideas on how to kill them?

FordPrefect
02-26-2005, 23:21
nar shadaa it is.

thanks for the tips but.. the merchant quest wont go. none of them let me finish it so...

spoiler:

anyway, i doesnt matter. it seems it was just my fault for using the airspeeder instead of just walking to the refugee sector.. which triggered the set of events that puts me now on goto`s ship... o well... thanks anyway!

about the dxun moon... i went there on a higher level i think and just kicked ass. although i do seem to remeber a sith lord that was hard and killed my handmaiden. try to figure out a tactic to go with like one close combat and two shooting away. stun if u can. granades. depends on what you have and the chars abilities, use anything that can get you that edge you need. good luck!

frogbeastegg
02-26-2005, 23:27
No, I haven't finished the game even once; lack of time ~:mecry:

I read a thread on gamefaqs asking about prestige classes with a "NO SPOILERS!!!" in the title; safe, or so I thought. It was, for the first few posts, but then one of those infuriating people who live only to ruin games for others showed up and posted an unmarked neat, brief summery of the plot twist and ending. It was so short and embedded in a load of helpful, spoiler free posts so I read it before realising what it was. ~:mecry:

Since the plot is now entirely ruined for me I decided I had nothing to lose by reading a thread about the missing ending and how the plot had been butchered by a lack of time; the topic contained a link to a topic on the Obsidian forums. That's the thread I linked to. The endings and scenes contained in it are not the real endings, not any more. They would have been, but they were cut out just like the soppy ending in KOTOR where Carth and a darkside female Revan stayed on the starforge to die together after killing Bastila.

I liked the ideas those missing scenes contained; they were the logical extension and finale of the character influence system in KOTORII. Some of them were surprisingly moving too, even to this rather cynical froggy.

As for the actual ending, I have not seen it and so cannot fairly comment.

FordPrefect
02-27-2005, 00:00
i ran into another problem on goto`s ship:

[COLOR=White] i have all the access codes and used them all. killed everyone. but i cant find the button to open the hatch to the next area (maybe goto there... i think) the hatch says it must be opened from the bridge but i cant find anyway to do it! help please!

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-27-2005, 00:02
You have to get the power supply override control from the console in the room where your main character is being held. Then switch everything over to secondary power, and shut down power.

Steppe Merc
02-27-2005, 00:06
Shades:
Are they all Jedi? Do they all have lightsabers? Otherwise, I can't see how you would beat them...
FordPrefect, to inicate spoilers do quote tags, but just fill it in with spoil:
[spoil ]Insert spoilers, except don't keep the spaces at the end of each of the tages.[/spoil ]

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-27-2005, 00:13
Shades-If you're having a tough time of it, just knock combat difficulty to easy in the options.

econ21
02-27-2005, 00:23
ShadesPanther:

That was about the only hard fight in the game for me. There was a moment when I opened a door and two Sith Lords emerged who killed my handmaiden (a kickass Guardian with only the minimum 6 levels of soldier) and then Bao Dur. Only Mandalore remained, but he managed to gun them down.

You might think about changing your party - Visas is very fragile, she really needs the toughness feats to fight well. Give Mandalore heavy armour and a big gun, preferably upgraded and he is very useful.

Does your Handmaiden have force immunity? Because they did something to disable my Handmaiden and that allowed them to take her down. Force resistance or immunity might have helped me. It looked like they stunned her. Maybe some item that gives immunity to mind-affecting would help?

I don't normally use shields, but presumably the best energy resisting shields would help against Sith Lord light sabers?

Visas and Handmaiden might have some buff type Jedi powers that help. I always use Jedi speed, but there is energy resistance and a bunch of others.
If things get desperate, keep pausing and use life support or advanced healing packs if required.

In Kotor1, grenades - the bigger the better - were a useful leveller for really tough fights.

Obviously keep recharging your health through the heal force power after each mini-combat and don't let your party go charging off (set stance to defensive or something if they have that tendency).

ShadesPanther
02-27-2005, 00:23
Well yeah 2 of them are dark jedi and one is a sith master, one even has a double bladed lightsaber

seems like I'll have to change the difficulty. I've played it about 20 times now all with different combinations. one guy shooting or all melee-ing and all these different powers like having one of my jedi characters in support mode but no luck

EDIT: Simon I know about the shields, I've tried it but one swipe and thats the shield gone, they usually all group focus on one of my characters at a time so basically they all get wiped out.

Big King Sanctaphrax
02-27-2005, 00:33
The way I eventually did it was something of an exploit. I had Mandalore, Mira and Jedi Atton in my party. I took advantage of the fact that Atton can't get knocked out unless he's the last member of the party standing. The Sith would take him down, then attack my other two characters. However, by this time Atton would have gotten up, and the Sith would turn around to attack him again...rinse and repeat. Couple this with copious use of medpacs and shields, and I managed to do it after about 5 tries.

ShadesPanther
02-27-2005, 02:30
I was able to do it first time on easy. Tried it twice more on normal but no luck, then i put it back to normal after. Thanks for the help

I did love the next part though. So much fun killing the royalist soldiers reminds me of Episode I.

FordPrefect
02-27-2005, 03:43
i did shut down power and all was fine. it seems i was going for the wrong hatch. but that raises a question. can this second hatch be opened? it on the south side of the map. it says it can be opened only from the bridge. anyone?

discovery1
02-27-2005, 04:35
Shoudn't be able to, since I don't think a ship is docked there. And if you do, then you get sucked out into the vaccum of space.

SwordsMaster
02-27-2005, 17:12
Ha, made it to jedi weaponmaster finally!

IT depends on your allignment as well, you have to be very "light" or "dark" for her to give you the chance.

71-hour Ahmed
02-27-2005, 20:25
Gah. Completed it today... the ending was skipping again!!! I had to exit KOTOR 2 and re-enter to hear any of the end dialogue this time... really annoying.

It got a fair bit better to the end I think, certainly some interesting things, but...

I can't help feeling it was all a little pointless. Kreia's motivations are a bit meaningless at the end and contradictory. I don't get it - she has the chance to do what she wants but never even tries. She's too busy being nice to me (by trying to kill me....unusual mentoring style but I get the idea) So why? Why, why, why? I get the feeling the whole "kill the force" storyline was an un-used idea that was able to limp its way into the dialogue.

Darth Suck-em-dead never actually comes across as ominous which was a real shame. And Atris... such a good opportunity. I liked her, she was the Bastila of KOTOR2 for me :embarassed:, but she died so fast and easy. So much could have been made of her and the history with the main character that wasn't (although I liked the begging when you leave her to the Sith holocrons tender mercy ~D ).

The storyline just doesn't tie up as well as KOTORs does (or at all).

Did anyone else ever get the urge to untie Kriea's hair, drag her into the shower and wash her? Those braids of her... I can't help thinking that they'd probably be pretty manky.
'

Steppe Merc
02-27-2005, 21:35
Frankly, I wouldn't want to touch Kreia... but are those braids? Or is she a Twi'lek? I doubt it, but...

The whole point was that Kreia would do anything for you... including killing the force.

FordPrefect
02-28-2005, 03:08
finished the game finally! the ending.... well.... it seems it leaves an opening for a 3rd game?

anyway, im starting over as "Darth Alice" (cheating all the way... ~:) )

the game was pretty easy though. i mean when i got my lightsaber, that was it for everybody else! i kill with one hit anything! except in the very end where some enemies needed to be hit twise to go down but still... should have played it on difficult setting. o well... i did enjoy the game. they really did a fine job with all the complexity they put in. one thing i didnt like was the game crashing endlessly. very annoying. very.

Steppe Merc
02-28-2005, 14:13
Did you have the computer version? Because Xbox was a bit buggy, but that's all...

SwordsMaster
02-28-2005, 16:10
Finished it. Apparently I missed a couple of side missions as well as that cave on Korriban, but everything else is there.

Now in a week or so I'll make a Dark sider.

Anyone tried calling him "Revan" to see what happens?

Steppe Merc
03-01-2005, 02:57
Ah man you missed the cave? The cave's awesome...

SwordsMaster
03-03-2005, 12:35
Arrgh!! Couldnt hold my impatience and started yesterday my dark-sider game.
Ah, my poor assignments, they are going to pay for my ambition of galactic domination, subjugation and enslavement....

Anyway, I've been skimming through a few walkthroughs and it happens that I only gathered enough influenc with Visas and the Handmaiden in my previous game thus wasting a lot of my other group members' potential. And there is that cave in Korriban I wasnt sufficiently alligned to get in to.

Anyway, anyone knows how light do you have to be to get Mira on Nar Shadaa?

Considering that all my characters shoot/behead anything in sight first and talk later, I dont really need another brute.... :charge:

Jacque Schtrapp
03-04-2005, 00:10
Anyway, anyone knows how light do you have to be to get Mira on Nar Shadaa?

Considering that all my characters shoot/behead anything in sight first and talk later, I dont really need another brute.... :charge:

I believe you have to be fairly committed to the light side in order to get Mira. I don't think gray or slightly dark will do it.

discovery1
03-04-2005, 01:43
Gray also works, or even slightly darkside.

Lehesu
03-04-2005, 02:39
To get Visas, you must be significantly light or dark. To get Mira you must be light. Must. If you are neutral or dark, you will get Hanharr instead.

SwordsMaster
03-07-2005, 14:58
Ha, I'm so light now, everyone in the group is worried and asking me why am I so glowing....

The fools dont know Im just masquerading my intentions of becoming a sith lord... MWHAHAH! etc...

I already got Mira, so now I can start being evil... :sneaky: :evil3: :devil:

Steppe Merc
03-10-2005, 22:47
What? Why did you get Mira? Hanharr is a lot more fun, man, though
he can't be a Jedi
Though I must say, I'm playing dark, and I'm really digging it, more so than last time. Probably because all of my companions are going dark with me... Next game will probably go dark again as well...

Somebody Else
03-11-2005, 00:05
Aargh! I can never stomach being evil in a game... it sickens me. I always, but always, end up being some kind of loony do-gooder.

Besides, in this game there's hardly any point in being evil - all you seem to get is a bit more money from various quests. The only things I've ever bought are Pazaak cards.

SwordsMaster
03-11-2005, 12:57
Yeah, I have 23k+ in my credit card, and no way i can spend so much.

This last game has been really cool. I started dark, really dark about 80% down the Darkside bar, then lightened to the top of the light bar in Nar Shadaa to get Mira, and now I'm struggling to return to the dark path, although I dont know if I'll have enough time as I've finished Onderon already and the only planet left is Korriban which doesnt give much opportunity to change my allignment and Im stuck rigth in the middle. (same as Kreia). So we'll see. I want to get into that korriban cave, but I cant with my allignment so I might just load a previous game...

RZST
03-11-2005, 16:11
good game =).
could have been better if lucasarts didnt rush the damned thing. heh. now i cant wait for kotor3 XD

Steppe Merc
03-12-2005, 04:33
Aargh! I can never stomach being evil in a game... it sickens me. I always, but always, end up being some kind of loony do-gooder.
I usually agree with you, but in this game it was easier for me.. mainly becuase the bad guys you support aren't always that evil... and the Jedi I don't think are that good...

Steppe Merc
03-21-2005, 00:31
Well I finished the game as evil. I thought it was even better than light, because it's easier to get all of your characters to respect you, even the normally light side ones.
Also, if you beat it light side and dark side, the next time you play there are new conversation options, and new items.

discovery1
03-21-2005, 05:44
Well I finished the game as evil. I thought it was even better than light, because it's easier to get all of your characters to respect you, even the normally light side ones.
Also, if you beat it light side and dark side, the next time you play there are new conversation options, and new items.

I thought it was easier to be light side, because the characters would tend to hate me if I choose the dark side coversation options.

New items and speaches? Maybe I will play through Peragus again. Thanks,

Merlin271
03-21-2005, 18:51
If you play through the third time as a woman, Atton gives you some extra dialog when you first meet him - he laments that the developers of the game didn't spend longer on his character & how he wasn't supposed to be in the game etc...

Dorkus
03-22-2005, 04:53
Ugh. I bought this game the day it came out and could not play through 30 minutes.

It's incredibly, mind-bogglingly easy. the enemies seem like carbon copies with different graphical models.

Just a warning: if you're not the type who cares much for stories, this game is not for you. The combat isn't fun at all. And the character development adds almost nothing to the original KOTOR.

Phatose
03-22-2005, 09:02
How much of it did you actually play? Sounds like you never got off the mining base.

ShadesPanther
03-22-2005, 15:36
Peragus is the worst world in the game. The other ones are far more fun and the enemies are quite challenging.

Dorkus
03-22-2005, 17:39
Well, i anticipated that the boredom might end with the first planet, so I speeded my way through it.

I got off the original planet, and ended up fighting a bunch of mandalorians (I think?), weird dog-like animals, and then some czerka camp. They all died easily in one round of combat. The only challenge presented was pure nuisance -- party members running halfway across the map (due to terrible AI) into a detected minefield. Mines are so prolific in this game that it reminded me of a bad platformer (note to devs: 6 or 7 mines in a row are neither fun NOR challenging) -- except unlike a platformer there was no jump command to speed up the process. I ended up just running through most of mines alternately with different characters, since aoe heal and the game's massive health regen actually made that faster than waiting for the annoying mine recovery animation.

I really really wanted that game to be fun. There are so few good rpgs in the mkt today, and I was a huge fan of the fallout games. But no matter how hard I tried, I could not escape the conclusion that this game was tortuously boring. I imagine this has something to do witht he fact that I generally skip all dialogue (unless it left with me some negative effect, in which case I'd reload and avoid that effect); the positive reviews on gaming sites seem to focus on the quality of the story (at least until the end).

Ser Clegane
03-22-2005, 20:09
I imagine this has something to do witht he fact that I generally skip all dialogue (unless it left with me some negative effect, in which case I'd reload and avoid that effect)

By skipping the dialogue you pretty much cripple the game, IMO.

Isn't a good storyline with good dialogue actually the hallmark of a good CRPG?

Steppe Merc
03-22-2005, 23:10
Exactly. Besides, just adjust the difficulty from normal to difficult. And the game is awesome.

I thought it was easier to be light side, because the characters would tend to hate me if I choose the dark side coversation options.

New items and speaches? Maybe I will play through Peragus again. Thanks,
Well, this is how I did it. I just tried not to do anything bad while around the light characters. For example Handmaiden responds really well to speeches about strength, and if you cheat during your duels, and tell her how only victory matters, you gain experience. You need to do a few light side things to get enough influence, but if your dark enough it'll only set you back a bit.
I found this site really helpful: it gives you a list of non conversation influence bumpers (so when you're actually playing, not on the ship talking).
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/file/star_wars_kotor_ii_influence.txt
I got all my characters dark, including T3 ~D Just be nice to the goodies, and soon enough they'll turn dark.

Ser Clegane
03-25-2005, 22:18
I just saw the French movie "Vidocq" on DVD.

Has anybody seen this movie and thought that Darth Nihilus(?) was very similar to the "Alchemist"?

Mongoose
07-04-2005, 14:51
Sorry for the dumb question but...are there any disadvantages to using two light sabers? ~:confused:

thanks. :bow:

jacked
07-04-2005, 16:00
Somewhere I heard that its good thing to have two lightsabers but only with short lightsabers.

Lehesu
07-04-2005, 16:30
Using dual lightsabers, or a double blades, has unique advantages and disadvantages.

Dual: Using dual lightsabers adjusts damage in each saber. The main hand (right) does 1x damage (normal damage). The off-hand (left) does .5x damage that it would normally do. In addition, going dual adds an accuracy penalty to both the main hand and off-hand, although I believe it is much more severe to the off-hand. This penalty can be off-set with the dual-fighting feats as well as using a short saber; the more balanced short-saber trades damage for more accuracy in both hands.

Double: The double works similar to the dual in that you have *two* sabers, the top and bottom. It also adjusts damage. The off-hand, again, does .5x damage off of the normal saber stats. However, the main hand does 1.5x damage off the same saber stats; more damage to simulate the staff fighting style. Again, this style penalizes accuracy; use feats to reduce the penalty.

Dual vs. Double: Double will do more base damage than dual, mainly because of the 1.5x modifier. Also, damage stats come off of the same saber, so both hits will have all the traits of the one blade. This is very good if you have very good crystals. Dual's only real advantage over double is that you can have more lightsaber traits; you are working with 4 crystal slots instead of just 2. You also have the option to sacrifice damage for accuracy by using a short blade on the off-hand.

AggonyDuck
07-06-2005, 01:37
Actually the damage modifiers for dual wielding/doublessaber only apply to the strength bonus damage. ~;)
Also Dual wielding has severe accuracy penalties without any feats. But with Master Dualwielding and a short lightsaber in the off-hand the penalties cease to exist. ~:)
(and a that extra saber is handy as the defensive/statboosting weapon and saves the main saber for maximum damage)

Steppe Merc
07-06-2005, 01:53
I always use two normal sabers (when possible). Not sure how the damage bonuses add up, but I like using two real lightsabers. ~;)
edit: It's usaully best to put (Your Name)'s Crystal in the off hand saber, since it doesn't add damage bonuses to the blade itself...

Lehesu
07-06-2005, 02:35
Actually the damage modifiers for dual wielding/doublessaber only apply to the strength bonus damage. ~;)
Also Dual wielding has severe accuracy penalties without any feats. But with Master Dualwielding and a short lightsaber in the off-hand the penalties cease to exist. ~:)
(and a that extra saber is handy as the defensive/statboosting weapon and saves the main saber for maximum damage)

The modifiers I listed apply to final damage; eg, after the strength has been factored in. Regardless, the main hand on a double-blade will do 1.5 times damage than that same saber held normally, regardless of your stats. This makes it a much better "tank" config than dual.

Phatose
07-06-2005, 05:16
The main advantage of dual sabers over double bladed is the critical hit threat range of 2 on the single sabers vs 1 on the double bladed saber. With master critical strike and a single saber, you get a threat 4/20 of the time, 5/20 if the blade is keen. Dual sabers and master get 8/20, 10/20 if it's keen. One of the fighting styles enhances your critical hits too, making it a quite effective way to fight.

Not that it's a very hard game to begin with.

Lehesu
07-06-2005, 20:51
The main advantage of dual sabers over double bladed is the critical hit threat range of 2 on the single sabers vs 1 on the double bladed saber. With master critical strike and a single saber, you get a threat 4/20 of the time, 5/20 if the blade is keen. Dual sabers and master get 8/20, 10/20 if it's keen. One of the fighting styles enhances your critical hits too, making it a quite effective way to fight.

Not that it's a very hard game to begin with.
Although it could also be said that maxed out flurry has an edge in average damage over critical strike.

alman7272
07-07-2005, 03:25
I wonder how many of you guys have seen the extra dialogue and sound files compiled on obsidian forums? There seems to be quite a lot that was cut out...

Zalmoxis
07-07-2005, 09:49
http://www.team-gizka.org/ <- that much lost...

Krauser
07-08-2005, 05:22
I haven't picked this one up yet but for some reason it doesn't interest me like the last. I read the story and it didn't seem as good as the first one. I read the reviews and most of them had the same feeling about it as I did. A good game but not as good as the first. This is a common thing for hollywood movies but games usually get better when they get a sequal. Maybe the original is too good to best.

econ21
07-08-2005, 09:06
I haven't picked this one up yet but for some reason it doesn't interest me like the last. I read the story and it didn't seem as good as the first one. I read the reviews and most of them had the same feeling about it as I did. A good game but not as good as the first. This is a common thing for hollywood movies but games usually get better when they get a sequal. Maybe the original is too good to best.

Maybe that's true of the reviews, but the user feedback seems more evenly divided between those that prefer KOTOR1 and KOTOR2. Personally, I find it hard to make a ranking - they are both very good.

The story is less polished and neat than KOTOR1, it's true. But I liked the darker feel of KOTOR2. A Star Wars vs Empire Strikes Back analogy is quite apt.

If you liked KOTOR1, it's hard to believe you won't like KOTOR2 when you do get round to picking it up.

Lehesu
07-08-2005, 15:21
Maybe that's true of the reviews, but the user feedback seems more evenly divided between those that prefer KOTOR1 and KOTOR2. Personally, I find it hard to make a ranking - they are both very good.

The story is less polished and neat than KOTOR1, it's true. But I liked the darker feel of KOTOR2. A Star Wars vs Empire Strikes Back analogy is quite apt.

If you liked KOTOR1, it's hard to believe you won't like KOTOR2 when you do get round to picking it up.
I also like the darker feel, even if the story was worse. However, many of the gameplay tweaks and extra features in II really are better than the original; so much so that I find it hard to go back to the original.

IliaDN
07-08-2005, 15:44
Some things I found out today :
do you know of lot's of features cut from the final version such as :
1. various dialogs ( which can be still found in txt. files );
2. at least one location ( factory that produce H-50 ) ...

Fragony
07-08-2005, 17:15
I also like the darker feel, even if the story was worse. However, many of the gameplay tweaks and extra features in II really are better than the original; so much so that I find it hard to go back to the original.

I think the gameplay in KOTOR 2 is much much worse then the original, I haven't died once the entire game, what fun is extra depth if you don't need it? The first had some really cool fights that had that PLEASE MISS THANK YOUfeeling, kotor 2 was very much lacking that.

Steppe Merc
07-08-2005, 19:06
I'd have to disagree. I really liked KOTOR 2. The story wasn't as good as the original, but it's still great, and the extra stuff that you can do (train Jedi, moddify more stuff, etc.) is certaintly a plus.

Fragony
07-08-2005, 20:56
It isn't really like you play them for the gameplay, the fun is indeed at the characters and story, but that was also a bit lacking, especially the leaps of logic toward the end. I don't see any reason to replay kotor2 really, I finished the first several times.

Steppe Merc
07-08-2005, 22:40
Well I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I loved them both. To each there own, I suppose.

Lehesu
07-09-2005, 03:43
Anyone that has played KOTOR as a straight up Guardian will agree that the game had almost no challenge whatsoever.

Mongoose
07-09-2005, 04:36
Hehe...it's true ~D

Last part is kinda hard, IMHO.

Krauser
07-09-2005, 22:05
Anyone that has played KOTOR as a straight up Guardian will agree that the game had almost no challenge whatsoever.

I did do the basic two handed Guardian because it was cool but I also tried out the harder combinations. I also tried to save my levels so that also made it harder. I wanted to get as many Jedi levels as possible.

Mongoose
07-17-2005, 03:18
Thanks for the help. I finished using two weapons...

anyway, i am starting a new game. would you recomend one light saber or a double bladed one? Thanks again :bow:

Papewaio
07-18-2005, 02:44
About to play it... well depends when the kid is born...

What would be ironman mode in KOTOR2?
What is the minimum number of levels you have to put into non Jedi levels and vise a versa what is the minmum amount of Jedi levels you need?
Is it feasible to go Mandalorian style and still do finish the whole game?

Phatose
07-18-2005, 03:52
Ironman mode I don't know about. There are no non-jedi levels - you start out as a Jedi. If by mandalorian you mean guns & no force powers, yeah you can, but it will be harder since guns and swords can't hold a candle to a lightsaber, since sabers get 6 upgrade slots and guns/swords get 3.

Lehesu
07-18-2005, 04:18
The main character is not really meant to go "no-sabers". However, other characters, including jedi can do very well in this role (Mira comes to mind).

lars573
07-18-2005, 05:16
Thanks for the help. I finished using two weapons...

anyway, i am starting a new game. would you recomend one light saber or a double bladed one? Thanks again :bow:

I would suggest you read through these. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/game/920194.html It is a list of fan written FAQ's that cover all aspects of KOTOR 2. I would recomend the character optimization FAQ.

Really the saber you have depends on the Jedi class you pick. KOTOR like any RPG follows the warrior-theif-mage triumverate. That is that warriors are good at melee and are heavy on feats. Theifs are good at stealth and lock picking and are heavy on skills. While mages are heavy on magic powers.

Jedi Guardian (warrior)<-> Jedi Weaponsmaster / Sith Maurader (super warrior)
Jedi Sentinal (thief)<-> Jedi Watchman / Sith Assassin (super theif)
Jedi Consular (mage)<-> Jedi Master / Sith Lord (super mage)

Getting back to your question. If you pick a jedi sentinal or consular go with a double bladed saber, as it gives you two attacks per turn with no dual wield penalty. As a guardian go for a single bladed saber, as you will get enough feat points to max out 2 weapon fighting. All that said I wouldn't recomend a sentinal character. As most of the FAQ's point out sentinals get a lot of skill points which don't matter as much as they did in KOTOR 1. If you need a lock picked Atton is better suited for it. If you need a droid fixed or items made Bao-Dur is your man. KOTOR 2's much more loose with party changing, so you can use the skills of your allies more. Also the first time I played through KOTOR 2 I was a sentinal and it sucked. I couldn't beat Darth Sion, I didn't have enough health/force points to put him away. I had some trouble doing it as a jedi guardian/jedi master.

Also as you may or may not know all of your non-droid followers save Madelore and Hannhar are force sensitive. How many of you have goten all of them that don't start as jedi you can train in the ways of the force? I managed to turn Atton and Mira into jedi (making them infinitly more useful) in my last game as a light side character.

One more thing how do you get the dialogue that reveals Mandelore as Canderous Ordo from the first game?

discovery1
07-18-2005, 05:21
One more thing how do you get the dialogue that reveals Mandelore as Canderous Ordo from the first game?

You don't do you? Kera confronts him prior to leaving for what ever the planet is in the shuttle and brings it up, but your char isn't around at the time.

Papewaio
07-18-2005, 05:31
I couldn't beat Darth Sion,

Ummm how is the Sion pronouced?

Like Psi-on or Sean?

lars573
07-18-2005, 06:13
Psi-on.

Papewaio
07-18-2005, 06:29
Good, then I don't have to kill my namesake.

econ21
07-18-2005, 12:06
I have to disagree with Lars, skills matter much more in Kotor2 than kotor1 (where only persuasion really mattered). IIRC, all of them open up new options in dialogue in kotor2 and your party skills don't help in conversations (nor can they use the workbench). Also, I believe kotor2 weakened the advantages of the guardian a little, so I'd recommend the sentinel for kotor2 whereas it was terrible for kotor1.

Phatose
07-18-2005, 12:41
I would suggest you read through these. [URL]

Beat the game. When asking Kreia about your companions, Kreia refers to Mandalore as Canderous.

AggonyDuck
07-18-2005, 12:46
Actually calling a Jedi Sentinel a super thief is quite wrong. Basically they're a "fighter/mage" who gets a nice amount of skill points. They're a bit of the jack-of-all-trades type. I've played 75% of my KOTOR I&II games as a Sentinel and believe me, they can hold their own quite nicely. It's just a matter of having the right equipment and force powers. But the thing that makes the Sentinel special for me is the versatility of the class. ~:)

lars573
07-18-2005, 15:03
Actually calling a Jedi Sentinel a super thief is quite wrong. Basically they're a "fighter/mage" who gets a nice amount of skill points. They're a bit of the jack-of-all-trades type. I've played 75% of my KOTOR I&II games as a Sentinel and believe me, they can hold their own quite nicely. It's just a matter of having the right equipment and force powers. But the thing that makes the Sentinel special for me is the versatility of the class. ~:)

If I had actually said that you would be right. But I didn't. This is what I said.

Jedi Guardian (warrior) Jedi Weaponsmaster / Sith Maurader (super warrior)
Jedi Sentinal (thief) Jedi Watchman / Sith Assassin (super theif)
Jedi Consular (mage) Jedi Master / Sith Lord (super mage)

Read the post right before you poo-poo it next time. And when I played as a sentinal the game was much the same as a guardian. The difference came in where it counted at the end in the Trayus acadamy and vs Darth Sion. I kept getting killed by everything their as a sentinal, as a guradian I saved more but I didn't always need to. A guardian gets more health points per level than the other classes, so when I fought Sion (like last time loaded up with stim-buffs) I had more health to stand up to the 70 damage he deals out.

Lehesu
07-18-2005, 16:00
Lars, you are wrong on the double-bladed logic. It DOES incur a dual-wield penalty. Only the original KOTOR had double-bladed without dual-wield penalty (an error, I believe).

lars573
07-18-2005, 17:03
The dual wield penalty for a double bladed weapon (metal or light) is wiped away at with the first level (maybe the second) of the dual wield feat. Where as with 2 one handed weapons you need all 3 levels and a balanced wepaon in the off hand to not have one blade miss half the time. All double bladed weapons are all balanced which means the dual wield penalty is very low in the primary hand which is where all double bladed wepaons are placed. In my dark side game I'm running now I got a Sith war sword on the Harbinger (as a side note after you beat the game once you get more and better loot earlier) and since I'm a guardian jedi I started with level 1 dual weild feat and I'm stomping all kinds of ass with the war sword.

Steppe Merc
07-18-2005, 18:59
I always start Sentiel, then go Watchman. I hate reliance on force(Consolar) and stupidity (Guardian), but I hate stealth even more (improved Sentienel).

Mongoose
07-23-2005, 15:32
To be honest, i don't have KOTOR2. I just figured that it would be better to ask the question here...because, IIRC, they use the engine.

anyway, after competing KOTOR for the 3rd time, i am thinking about geting KOTOR2. I read the gamespy review and it said "Poor AI; too many bugs; graphics feel a little dated." under cons. How is that any differnt from KOTOR AI? The pathfinding AI was awful, is it even worse in KOTOR2? :help:

Should i buy it now or just wait for the story line mod that adds the cut content? http://www.team-gizka.org/ In other words, how bad is the ending?

Azi Tohak
07-23-2005, 16:00
I can't believe KOTOR 2 has so many posts...wow...

And Papewaio...I am glad you asked about Sion's name. It would be weird having the same name (for me) as that fruit-loop. But then...it would make halloween easy. And $*@# scary for other people too ~D

I just liked the second game better myself. Being able to heal from the start and all the rest of my Jedi tricks (including the WAY too strong lightning) made the game freaking easy though. But still, I liked the characters better in this one.

And yes, the game is very incomplete. Tragically incomplete. I think Lucas Arts has even admitted it.

The ending is okay...but you just feel unfulfilled. It is just slap-dash. But the rest of the game is a lot of fun I think.

Azi

econ21
07-24-2005, 03:41
Should i buy it now or just wait for the story line mod that adds the cut content? http://www.team-gizka.org/ In other words, how bad is the ending?

Buy it now. I don't think a story line mod could add much. I would not say the ending was bad. Yes, there were leaps and inconsistencies, but it had a real dramatic force. The villain's death scene is written in a very nice way, with a variety of dialogue options for your character, going from triumphalism to something approaching love. From a plot point of view, there's a feeling of unfinished business that keeps you wondering. I also think the game is deliberately told in a way that not everything is disclosed to you. What you learn depends on which NPCs you cultivate and what conversation paths you take. Whether because of this or because of the rushed nature of the ending, I kept thinking about the story for days afterwards. Closure is overrated.

Geoffrey S
07-24-2005, 11:29
I thoroughly enjoyed this game, in some places (namely character development) actually more than the already brilliant Kotor1. The story develops very well, with villains who genuinely loom ominously over the general plot. The only thing that is a pity is the somewhat rushed ending. Don't get me wrong, the whole sequence of talking to the final endboss is fulfilling, but there are a number of things left too unexplained, like the confrontation between the two robots and how the Ebon Hawk survived to the end.

I'm looking forward to the storyline mod, particularly after reading some of the scripts involving Atton at the end of a game with a female character. Some of the new (or retrieved) dialogue looks like it might actually add something to the game.

Looking forward to Kotor3.

Mongoose
07-27-2005, 01:06
Buy it now. I don't think a story line mod could add much. I would not say the ending was bad. Yes, there were leaps and inconsistencies, but it had a real dramatic force. The villain's scene is written in a very nice way, with a variety of dialogue options for your character, going from triumphalism to something approaching love. From a plot point of view, there's a feeling of unfinished business that keeps you wondering. I also think the game is deliberately told in a way that not everything is disclosed to you. What you learn depends on which NPCs you cultivate and what conversation paths you take. Whether because of this or because of the rushed nature of the ending, I kept thinking about the story for days afterwards.

Thanks :bow: i liked the first game so much that i would have just bought it when it came out, but the amazon reviews said it was a bugged POS :dizzy2:

i think i'll buy it anyway. ~D