PDA

View Full Version : Games with storylines

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-29-2004, 21:41
I'm looking for a game with a plot. And not just any old plot, oh no. I'm looking for fantastic characters, dramatic twists, and dialogue that would make a prize-winning author weep...or something like that... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif Any suggestions?

Mount Suribachi
04-29-2004, 21:53
No contest, Planescape: Torment

Matt Deckard
04-29-2004, 21:57
Final Fantasy 8.
Oh, thats right, your cd blew up.

(ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-29-2004, 21:59
Quote[/b] (Samurai-ninja_fusion_of_doom @ April 29 2004,21:57)]Final Fantasy 8.
Oh, thats right, your cd blew up.

(ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif
AAAAAARGH http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif

MS, How much does it cost, what's it about, and can I buy it off Amazon?

The Wizard
04-29-2004, 23:23
Baldur's Gate II and its expansion Throne of Bhaal.

RisingSun
04-29-2004, 23:52
Homeworld: Cataclysm.

Cebei
04-30-2004, 00:02
Quote[/b] ]I'm looking for a game with a plot. And not just any old plot, oh no. I'm looking for fantastic characters, dramatic twists, and dialogue that would make a prize-winning author weep...or something like that... Any suggestions?

You are exactly describing the Soul Reaver series.

- Soul Reaver
- Soul Reaver II
- Legacy of Kain

This is a series of one incredible plot and one of the greatest game stories every written, with fantastic characters, extra dramatic twists and dialogues (very literary English used in conversations) that would make a prize-winning author go to picnic.

Funny I am not a prize-winning author but I wept during the ending of all three. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

The only drawback is that, you can be wtf is this in the beginning as it takes time to grasp what is going on.. I suggest you play with the strategy book.

makkyo
04-30-2004, 00:15
the entire .hack series.... no the best gameplay ever but has an AWESOME storyline

Forward Observer
04-30-2004, 03:12
Mafia would be my recommendation for a well done story. It is as close as you can get to being in a gangster movie.

The game is very similar to Grand theft Auto 3, but with 1930's cars, racecars, trucks, taxis, electric street cars, and elevated trains. Costumes, music, and of course weapons are all period too.

The story is narrated by the character you play in the game---a young taxicab driver who joins the mob by accident and become a trusted wiseguy.

The game starts out with you secretly meeting a detective to offer to turn evidence on the mob because your family is now in danger. From there it is a series of missions that revolve around major events that you are relating about your career with the mob. Oh,yeah and one of your goombas is a dead ringer for Joe Pesci's character out the movie Wiseguys

Most missions are FPS in nature, but also usually require driving over the huge map to the various location in the city or even in the country. One mission is a fast paced open cockpit 1930's auto race. There are also branching sub-quests contained in many missions.

Like GTA 3, Mafia is also a game within a game. As you progress through the story more areas of the map open up and more vehicles become available for you to explore in the free drive mode.

In the free drive mode you can just explore or play for a money earned score by picking up taxi fares, running over hoodlums, stealing cars, escaping from the cops, and just causing general mayhem.

The whole map for the game is probably about 15 or more miles square so there is a ton of stuff to explore plus you can actually use the public transportation system--trolleys and trains.

The first time you drive down a busy 1930's city street bustling with pedestrians, trucks, fire engines, all kinds of period cars, plus trolleys you may just experience one of those holy crap--I can't believe this is a computer game moments. I know I did.

It's been out quite a while, and I know I have seen in a budget crystal case edition at Wal-Mart, so the price should give one a lot of gaming bang for the buck.

Cheers

P.S. I forgot to mention that this is the only game that I can remember that I forgot to look down the street while exiting the cab of a half ton flat bed pickup after stealing a load of cuban cigars for the boss when--badda boom, badda bing--I got run over by a freaking streetcar.

Lehesu
04-30-2004, 04:06
I have to go with a game so insightful, so full of unforgettable characters and stomach-turning plot twists that it will leave any casual gamer puking and moaning on the floor.

The game, you ask?

That game would be Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Phatose
04-30-2004, 05:38
Not even close to a contest, IMHO. Torment, by a mile.

Voigtkampf
04-30-2004, 05:42
Oldies but goldies? Fallout 2, by far.

New ones with a good story? Try Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, you won't regret.

solypsist
04-30-2004, 06:56
i liked Uplink.

Fragony
04-30-2004, 09:08
a few suggestions,

No one lives forever (not much story but many awesome characters),
Deus ex,
Planescape torment,
if you have a gamecube, eternal darkness (awesome story and INSANE production values)

econ21
04-30-2004, 09:15
An unorthodox recommendation, but I would go with System Shock 2. No game has told a story more vividly. Even now, about a year after playing it, it is still haunting my mind. The gameplay is a FPS/RPG hybrid, shooting and performing various arcane tasks to progress - being rewarded with better weapons and more skills/abilities. Your character does take part in a fairly basic (Die Hard type) plot, albeit with an awesome twist. However, what is really engaging is the back story - how you come to be where you are - which is told very economically but brilliantly through audio logs left by other characters. From listening to those logs - very nice voice work - you come to identify with the characters and piece together the mystery of WTF is going on. The story told is a gripping sci-fi/horror one, that rivals any shown on TV or film.

MalibuMan
04-30-2004, 09:59
Any bioware game, but particularly Planescape:Torment and the king of kings, BG2 + Throne of Bhaal.

If you're really feeling up to it, do the mega-story and play Baldur's Gate 1 from the beginning, all the way through BG2 and to the end of ToB (you needn't bother with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion to BG1 as it doesn't add to the ongoing story, but it can be fun and has great music). If you do that you will take your character from a level one just-turned-adult, living with your father in the place you grew up, to a level 30ish powerhouse who's faced, among other things, several dastardly plots, dragons, demons and worse, and the nastiest, most devious 'big bad guys' you could imagine. Along the way you will meet, make friends with (and possibly sleep with if you play your cards right) 20ish possible party members, some of whom can stay with you throughout the whole plot. Plus literally thousands of NPCs.

Let me warn you, even assuming you get the madness for it like most do, assuming you have other demands on your time this will take months. But at the end you'll feel a bit like a chapter of your life has ended... you know that feeling you get when the credits roll on a really good movie, and I mean a REALLY good movie - it's like that multiplied by 10 or 100.

One last thing - DON'T let anyone tell you anything about the plot, or go looking at any fansites etc. The overall plot is brilliantly devious with many twists both minor and very major. It has more than one 'Revan' moment (if you've played KoTOR), and I had some of these spoilt for me.

FesterShinetop
04-30-2004, 14:10
I agree with Forward Observer: Mafia.

Big King Sanctaphrax
04-30-2004, 17:03
Cheers, guys. Out of the games listed here I've only played eternal darkness and KOTOR, so I've got several to look at. At the moment I think I'll buy either BG or Planescape torment, but The only place I can find the latter is on Amazon for FORTY TWO QUID? And it's supposed to be a budget version It must be rare or something. So unless something comes up, it's BG.

Sjakihata
04-30-2004, 17:06
Quote[/b] (solypsist @ April 30 2004,07:56)]i liked Uplink.
agreed

MalibuMan
04-30-2004, 22:29
You should be able to get BG1+ToTSC for 15 quid together at Game, also BG2+ToB for the same price in a dual pack. Bargain for four of the best games ever. Btw, BG2+ToB is much better than BG1+ToTSC, so don't get disheartened if you don't find the first ones as amazing as I said

dessa14
05-01-2004, 04:57
heres a good cheap RPG, Arcanum.
you can pick it up in stores for under $20 AUD
really cheap.
thanks, dessa

Efrem Da King
05-01-2004, 09:44
Hmm

I haven't got far enough into arcanum to comment on plot.. BUT if you make your character a retard then even the most basic conversation with a completely unquest related npcs ARE HILARIOUS

Trust me

Arcanum is worth the 18 aus bucks just for the dialogue as a retard

FF8 Has an INCREDIBLE plot an unexpected twist around almost every corner.

Has anyone ever told you that playing and *sshole is fun??

I love squall.

Axeknight
05-01-2004, 13:40
The best storyline game for me was The Getaway for PS2. Imagine all your fav British gangster movies in a game.

You play as Mark Hammond and Frank Carter. Hammond was a gangster until he got caught. He's spent the last 5 years in prison, and missed most of his son's life. So when he gets out, he goes legit, opening a club. Until Charlie Jolsen, the boss of the Bethnal Green Crew, kidnaps his son, and kills his wife. Hammond is truly peeved, but he's forced to work for Jolsen, as if he doesn't, Jolsen will kill his son. Jolsen sends him on suicide missions which he has almost no hope of escaping from. You also play as Frank Carter, the Flying Squad detective who has an obsession with catching Jolsen. The two characters meet up at certain points. There are many movie moments, such as Hammond telling a girl he's working with (if I told you more it'd ruin the story) about how he's missed his son growing up, or the finale, which is brilliant.

Plus, Charlie Jolsen is the coolest villian in videogame history. Especially right at the end - I won't spoil it, but he goes absolutely nuts and starts singing 'Land of Hope and Glory' - brilliant. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

*EDIT*there is, however, a lot of swearing

dessa14
05-02-2004, 04:13
ive finished arcanum, it is really fun.
and eventually if your friends have it, you compete on who has the best worst character.
like Ogre mages, and Elf Techies.
thanks, dessa

Copperhead
05-03-2004, 12:35
Quote[/b] (Apache @ April 30 2004,14:10)]I agree with Forward Observer: Mafia.
I would have to agree also, Mafia is a classic.

Axeknight
05-03-2004, 17:11
What about Max Payne (1 and 2)? Those were great http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Cebei
05-03-2004, 17:13
No Soulreaver series http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bighairyman
05-04-2004, 03:37
Quote[/b] (Copperhead @ May 03 2004,06:35)]
Quote[/b] (Apache @ April 30 2004,14:10)]I agree with Forward Observer: Mafia.
I would have to agree also, Mafia is a classic.
I have to agree, Mafia is one of the Best game i have ever played. and it's also really cheap, i picked up one a month ago for $9.99 USD. Go and buy it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif