PDA

View Full Version : Unit Graphics

Duke John
08-10-2003, 19:47
The Definitive Guide to Unit Graphics

Foreword

Hey all,

I decided to write a guide about unit graphics since most of the stuff can be found in the numerous posts in the Dungeon, but it's all scattered. Making new unit graphics is very rewarding, but also very time-consuming, so be warned and say goodbye to your families and start digging a grave for your cat.

The guide will begin with the basics and from there on I will delve deeper into the art of creating new graphics.

This guide only deals with graphics It's not about making new units.

I must also say my thanks to Wellington for his pioneering work, without his posts I might not have gotten this far.

To all who still have answers after reading this guide entirely. When you ask a question related to unit graphics, you'll get the best answer, when you write down what you have already done, what kind of crash you experienced. It's almost impossible to answer questions without any context.

Cheers, Duke John

Contents

Chapter 1: The files
It is a must that you know all the files that needs to edited. Forgetting one will give you faulty graphics or even a crash.

Chapter 2: Editing graphics
Here you will learn about the tools needed and the basics of editing will be explained to avoid crashes.

Chapter 3: Unit icons
This chapter will give you step-by-step guides on editing the files.

Chapter 4: Unit animation
I will discuss the process of unit animation that is used in-game.

Chapter 5: Weapons and Shields
Making new weapons and shields and how to make them appear on the battlefield.

Chapter 6: Making new unit graphics
In this chapter you will find pointers on how to make new unit graphics.

Duke John
08-10-2003, 20:12
Chapter 1: The files
Below is a list of all the files that needs editing to complete to entire process. This list is very important, because if you miss a file you might get bad representation of the unit or even crash the game You can use it as a reference. In following chapters I will discuss editing these files.
I will display italic names to let you know that the name should be replaced with an appropiate file name, for example;

\Textures\Men\UnitBifName\UnitBifName.BIF
can be translated as:
\Textures\Men\ChainHlm\ChainHlm.BIF

\crusaders_unit_prod11.txt
Besides the stats of the different units this file also contains some parameters needed for correct display of the units.

\Battle\UnitIcons\UnitName.LBM
This image contains an unit icon that is used when playing battles.

\Battle\FacShield\Hires\UnitName\FactionName.TGA
This image contains a high resolution shield image that is used to give units a more faction specific look. These images are only used when using specific BIFs.

\Battle\FacShield\Lores\UnitName\FactionName.TGA
This image contains a low resolution shield image that is used to give units a more faction specific look. These images are only used when using specific BIFs.

\campmap\Info_Pics\units\UnitName.BIF
This image contains an rendering that is used when bringing up the unit description in campaign mode.

\campmap\review_panel\units\UnitName.BIF
This image contains an unit icon that is used when selecting an army or an unit for training.

\Textures\Men\deadpage coords.txt
This text file contains the coordinates of dead bodies. The coordinates are used in conjuction with the DEAD256.tga file.

\Textures\Men\DEAD256.tga
This low resolution (256x256 pixels) image file contains the graphics of the dead bodies.

\Textures\Men\ActionsPage\UnitName.txt
This text file contains the coordinates and origins of the animations of an unit. The coordinates are used in conjuction with the low resolution UnitBifName.BIF file. The origins are used to center the unit at a point and as a reference for the weapon and shield coordinates.

\Textures\Men\UnitBifName\UnitBifName.BIF
This file contains the unit low resolution (256x256 pixels) animations and are ordered into 12 frames. The BIF can be edited and viewed with the BIF editor.

\Textures\Men\UnitBifName\UnitBifName_H.BIF
This file contains the unit high resolution (512x512 pixels) animations and are ordered into 12 frames. The BIF can be edited and viewed with the BIF editor.

\Textures\Men\UnitBifName\shields.txt
This file contains a list with the coordinates of the shields displayed in the UnitBifName.BIF.

\Textures\Men\UnitBifName\weapons.txt
This file contains a list with the coordinates, widths and lengths of the weapons displayed in the UnitBifName.BIF.

\Textures\Men\UnitBifName\UnitName_W.txt
This file contains a single integer which is used to denote the weapon used by the unit.

\Textures\Men\UnitBifName\UnitName_S.txt
This file contains a single integer which is used to denote the shield/crossbow used by the unit.

\Textures\Men\Items\Shields\ShieldNumber\UnitName\Action.txt
This file contains the coordinates for a particular Action. If you leave out a Action.txt then this action will not have a shield.

\Textures\Men\Items\Weapons\WeaponNumber\UnitName\Action.txt
This file contains the coordinates for a particular Action. If you leave out a Action.txt then this action will not have a shield.

1.2 Naming files
I suggest that you stick to a "protocol" of naming your units since all the accompanying files will be named similar. For example I name all my units/files as follows: NewMen, I always use plural and make reading the name easier by using capitals since spaces are not allowed.

Duke John
08-10-2003, 20:12
Chapter 2: Editing graphics
This chapter deals with editing all the graphic files. The subject deserves its own chapter since there are some pitfalls that should be avoided.

2.1 Tools
You will need the following programs to effectively edit images:

2.1.1 Paint Shop Pro
A similar program will also suffice, but I am working with this program and most of the time it's adequate. Use this program for images with the .BMP, .TGA, .LBM extension.
Important: the only exception is \Battle\UnitIcons\UnitName.LBM which should be edited with Ultimate Paint.

2.1.2 Ultimate paint (shareware), download (http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/Tools/Ultimate_Paint_2.8_lbm-editor.zip)
I don't like to work with this program, but it can be downloaded as shareware and is the one program that keeps palettes completely intact. Use this program when editing \Battle\UnitIcons\UnitName.LBM. I know that PSP keeps the palette order seemingly intact but when editing the mentioned LBM the game will crash unless you edited it with UP.

2.1.3 readbif (freeware), download (http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/Tools/readbif22b.zip)
This is an utility made by an Org-member and should be used to extract BMPs from the BIFs. I strongly advise against using this program for editing purposes. Note that you can only use 256-colour images.

There are multiple ways of making BIFs. You can start up BIFreader by clicking on it's icon and there are some tricks to make things work, but I've made many new files and in the end I found the following method the quickest and more importantly it always works.

Step 1: Get things organised
- Copy and paste readbif.exe into a root directory; c:\ or d:\ etc. Why a root directory? Well it will save you time when entering the directory wherein the images are located.
- Copy and paste your source images into the root directory for the same reason.

Step 2: Start the http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/dosprompt_icon.jpg DOS Prompt
- You probably didn't use it before but you can find it in the taskbar, hidden somewhere.

Step 3: Make BIF
First make sure that you have all the 256-colour BMPs on d:\(you can of course place readbif and the images on another drive). As an example of how it looks like:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/dosprompt.jpg
The command has the following format and options: readbif -in c:\BMPname c:\BIFname

in which:
- n stands for the number of frames; 12 for an unit animation BIF
- BMPname and BIFname stand for the names of the BMPs and the to be created BIF. High resolution animation BIFs should be written as: BIFname_H
- Do not add the extension, .BIF or .BMP, it's not necessary, you will only get names such as unit.BIF.BIF[/list]

2.1.4 Unitmaker 1.3 (freeware), download (http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/UM_1.3.zip)
Wellington made this excellent tool to process unit renderings in the format PCX or BMP. I will add a small guide on how to use this in chapter 6. But to really understand you should read the documentation.

2.2 Colour palettes
With certain images MTW uses colour palettes to play some graphical tricks. Images with 16 million colours are not a problem, but you should be very carefull when editing 256-colour images.

2.2.1 RGB values
There are several ways to code the different colours on a computerscreen. MTW uses the RGB code so I am using that too. It works as follows: each colour is made out of an amount of Red, Green and Blue. For example R:0, G:128, B:0 will be a green colour. R:120, G:0, B:120 will be a purple colour since red and blue mixed makes purple.

2.2.2 MTW palette
The 256-colour palette, which I call the MTW-palette, is used by some images have the following typical lay-out:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/palette.jpg
There are two things that you should remember about this palette:
1. Never change the order of the palette colours.
2. Never change the colour of the transparent and faction colours.

The transparent colour (R:0, G:128, B:0, first colour in palette) is used as a transparent colour. You will notice that in an unit BIF that the frames have the green background colour, this colour is not shown ingame and instead the unit has grass or another soldier as background.
When using greens avoid using the transparent colours because otherwise you're picture will show the real background in places you don't want it to.

The faction colours presented on the palette (R:a, G:0, B:a for purple and R:0, G:b, B:0 for green) are similar to the transparent colour. Ingame these colours will be replaced with the real faction colours. For example when playing as the French (blue/yellow) the purple and green will be replaced with respectively blue and yellow.

Duke John
08-10-2003, 20:13
Chapter 3: Unit Icons
Unit Icons are used for selecting units for training or battle and a slightly different version of the unit icon is used for in-battle display.
Tools: The following programs are needed for editing the files:
- readbif22b, shareware available here (http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/Tools/readbif22b.zip).
- Ultimate Paint, freeware available here (http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/Tools/Ultimate_Paint_2.8_lbm-editor.zip).
- Paint Shop Pro or any other decent painting program.
- Purpgrab.exe, CA tool made available for the community.

3.1.1 Unit Icon
Function: this icon is used in battles in the bar at the bottom of the screen.
Format: UnitName.LBM, 256 colours
Sample:
http://chronicles.metw.net/files/forum/uniticon.jpg
Editing: This icon requires a carefull approach when editing. First find a suitable existing MTW icon, increase the colour depth to 24-bit and change the image. If the icon is a bit sharply edged then enlarge the image by 200% use a smooth filter ,be carefull not to overdo the smoothing and reduce the image back to it's original size.
Next find any suitable exising 256-colour MTW palette and use it. Make sure that the background colour is R:207, G:207, B:199. Next copy the entire picture in your painting program and then paste it over an exisiting MTW unit icon in Ultimate Paint. Then save it.

3.1.2 Review Panel Icon
Function: this icon is used in campaign mode when selecting trainable units and for selecting an army in custom or multi-player battles.
Format: UnitName.BIF, one frame, MTW palette
Sample:
http://chronicles.metw.net/files/forum/reviewpanel.jpg
Editing: You should use the unit icon made under 2.3.1 as a base for this icon. First replace the background colour (normally R:207, G:207, B:199) with pink R:255, G:0, B:255. Then remove any excess smoothness; the grey "aura" around the soldier (be your own judge on this).

Then save this image as a 24-bit colour, uncompressed TGA. Then open up explorer, start up Purpgrab.exe and drag your UnitIcon.TGA in the black screen of Purpgrab. In the location of your TGA will now be placed a correct BIF without black dots.

Duke John
08-10-2003, 20:13
Chapter 4: Unit animation

4.1 ActionsPage

\Textures\Men\ActionsPage\UnitName.txt
This text file contains data that are used in conjuction with the low resolution UnitBifName.BIF. A typical TXT will have entries similar like this:

walking
10 40 0 40 25 60
10 40 30 60 55 80
10 40 23 80 45 100
10 40 128 140 145 160

You will notice that there are four lines of integers, these are each connected to the different camera-angles. Now let's make a formal layout of the contents of that file:

action
x0 y0 x1 y1 x2 y2 angle=157 degrees
x0 y0 x1 y1 x2 y2 angle=112 degrees
x0 y0 x1 y1 x2 y2 angle=67 degrees
x0 y0 x1 y1 x2 y2 angle=22 degrees

Actions
"action" can be replaced with one of the following actions:
walking
standing/idle
running
charging
fighting
dying
standing_shoot
kneeling_shoot

Image-rectangle
To explain the coordinates (x1, y1, x2, y2) I will use an image:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/frame.jpg
A soldier will be represented on the battlefield by using a part of the unit BIF. Normally a unit BIF contains alot of actions but in the above image I've deleted all except the running one at angle=22.
This action is surrounded for educating purposes by a red rectangle or let's say the image-rectangle. The image-rectangle is defined by the coordinates x1, y1, x2 and y2. With x1, y1 being the topleft corner and x2 and y2 the bottomright corner. The values of these coordinates are measured from the origin, O, in the topleft at the image.
The image-rectangle should be just large enough to capture the action in all twelve frames.

Image-origin
That leaves the coordinates, x0 and y0, which will be made clear with the image below:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/rectangle.jpg
The x0 and y0 coordinates equal the distance between the topleft corner, O0, of the image-rectangle and an imaginary point somewhere between the feet of the soldier (the red plus-sign). This point will from now on be called the image-origin. The image-origin can be found by drawing a straight line down the spine of the soldier and intersect with a line between the soldiers feet. These coordinates are relative, to calculate the values you must substract x1 en y1 from the absolute image-origin coordinates.
The image-origin is used as a reference for placing the weapons and shields and to avoid having the soldier "jump" around when the angle changes in-game.

Rotated soldiers
In some BIFs the soldiers are rotated -90 or +90 degrees. This is done to fit more actions into a single BIF. When dealing with this always remember that x1, y1 define the topleft corner of the image-rectangle and x2, y2 the bottomright corner seen from the perspective of the image-rectangle. Or said otherwise, when the soldier is rotated 90 degrees clockwise do the same with your head and look for the topleft corner which will be the topright corner when looking straight.

Duke John
08-10-2003, 20:14
Chapter 5: Items
Items are weapons and shields used by the units on the battlefield.

5.1 Item files
Making weapons and shields appear on the battlefield require some files to be made. First MTW has to know where the items are and which units use them.
[Faction shields such as used by Chilvaric Men-at-Arms are currently not at the order since I'm still a bit unsure why certain units use them. But these particular shields will get an own paragraph in the future.]

5.1.1 Textures\Men\NameBIF\NameBIF(_H).bif
The shield and weapon images needs to be placed in all twelve frames in the exact same position. The easiest way to do this is by enabling a grid with your painting program and place the items on your high-resolution frames. After you're done, resize the twelve frames to low-resolution; 50% smaller. Now you have both 12x512x512 and 12x256x256 frames which you import back into NameBIF.bif and NameBIF_H.bif.

5.1.2 Textures\Men\NameBIF\shields.txt
In this file you write the coordinates of the different shields. If there are multiple shields then there will be multiple lines of coordinates:x1 y1 x2 y2
x1 y1 x2 y2
x1 y1 x2 y2[/list] Where: the red line stands for shield1, the blue line for shield2 and the green line for shield3. Or said otherwise the order of entry specifies the shield number; first entry corresponds with shield1. (x1,y1) is the topleft corner and (x2,y2) is the bottomright corner.
Note that crossbows (and if you want bows) are treated like shields to create perspective. Technically there is no difference between crossbows and shields, visually you will just see a crossbow instead of a shield.

5.1.3 Textures\Men\NameBIF\weapons.txt
In this file you write the coordinates of the different weapons. Entry of the coordinates are similar to the entry of shield coordinates (5.1.2). To avoid making things harder use the same orientation of weapons as in original MTW BIFs; spears and swords point to the right.

5.1.4 Textures\Men\NameBIF\NameUnit_S.txt
This file contains an integer corresponding to the shield number:2[/list]In this case the unit will use the shield2; the blue entry as entered under 5.1.2.
In some cases, as with Pavise Crossbowmen, the unit uses two 'shields'. You should then make the following entry:2,3[/list]In which 3 corresponds with the crossbow graphic. Note that you should also make the positioning coordinates for the crossbow

5.1.5 Textures\Men\NameBIF\NameUnit_W.txt
This file contains an integer corresponding to the weapon number as entered under 5.1.3.
In some cases, as with javelineers, the unit uses two weapons. One for carrying and throwing the javelin and a handweapon (sword, axe, etc) for charging and fighting. You should then make the following entry:2,3[/list]In which 2 corresponds with for example the javelin and 3 with the sword graphic.
Note that since these weapons are only used in certain actions, so you don't have to make weapon position coordinates for the sword when throwing a javelin

5.2 Placing the items

5.2.1 \Textures\Men\Items\ShieldsShieldNumber\UnitName\Action.txt
This file contains the coordinates for a particular Action. If you leave out a Action.txt then this action will not have a shield. The ShieldNumber is the same as the one assigned in 5.1.4, if it is 4 then it will Shield4.

5.2.2 \Textures\Men\Items\WeaponsWeaponNumber\UnitName\Action.txt
This file contains the coordinates for a particular Action. If you leave out a Action.txt then this action will not have a shield. The WeaponNumber is the same as the one assigned in 5.1.5, if it is 2 then it will be Weapon2.

5.4 Item graphics

5.4.1 Making a shield graphic
Tools: Paint Shop Pro

You should know that most shields have curved surfaces to resist blows and you can either forget that and make a flat shield, or you can use shades to make shields appear 3 dimensional. "Appear" since the shield image itself is 2 dimensional. To succesfully to do this look at these images which show a pointy shield and a round shield:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/pointyshield.jpghttp://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/roundshield.jpg
You will notice that there is a light side and a dark side on the shields created by a light source from above (ie the sun). This will make it appear that the shields are 3 dimensional. Of course these shields will need to be added colours and symbols. But you can use the above images as reference for shading the shields. Below is a shield I used for the Greek Hoplite:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/shield_hoplite.jpg
Making the different shades may look difficult, especially since you only have 256 colours and you are thus restricted in the variety of colours to gradually make the shades. One important thing to remember is that you rarely look very close on the shield and with the following trick are different shades possible while using few colours. The next image is an enlarged piece of the Hoplon. Up close the shield looks ugly and you can clearly see the contrast between the colours. Luckily you won't notice this in-game.
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/shield_hoplite_enlarged.jpg

Duke John
08-10-2003, 20:15
Chapter 6: Making new unit graphics
I am not going to explain on how to model units. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet, and since I'm no 3D guru I will probably confuse you more then I will explain things.

6.1 3D-modelling program
There are numerous 3D-modelling programs that can be used; Poser, Lightwave, 3Ds MAX, Maya. The problem with these is that if you can't get them via your study or some other cheap/free way, it will cost you big bucks.
However for the ones who only model for MTW, there is an entirely free 3D modelling program: Blender 3D (http://www.blender3d.com), you can download it for free

Whatever program you'll get, it need to be able the following; the ability to make a model with armature and to animate it.

6.3 Setting up the scene
A scene is an animation sequence, for example walking, running and shooting. A unit BIF has 12 frames (check that in readbif) and your scene should thus also have 12 frames. This is how the scene should look like:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/scene_setup_3d.jpg
I will explain below about the details of the different elements; camera, lights, model and base and background.
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/scene_setup_sideview.jpg

6.3.1 The camera
You will also notice in readbif that the unit is viewed from different perspectives. In my setup I will keep the camera at the same position and I will rotate the model to get the different angles. The camera remains stationary with the following coordinates:
X: 0
Y: 5.6 m
Z: 10 m
Heading: towards model
Pitch: 155 degrees, this is the vertical angle
Bank: keep it horizontal

6.3.2 Lights
I use two lights in my scenes. Why two? Well, you'll need at least one directly above the model to get a shadow. Point it downwards and make it cast shadows.

If you stick with only this light, the model is too dark, so you will need another one. I position it in the same way as the camera. Not really important, just figure it out. This light should not cast shadows.

6.3.3 The model
As said above, I rotate the model to get the different view angles as seen in existing BIFs. I will render the scene with an agle, then change the angle and render it again, repeat, repeat. See the below figure for the angles:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/scene_setup_top.jpg
Besides this there is little to tell about the setup of the model. You can make it as detailed as you like, the unit graphics are pretty small so little details will get lost when scaled down. However there will be some hints of details while you cannot actually see it... (?)
And when animating make sure that the last frame is compatible with the first frame; when playing continously there should be no jumping of the limbs between the last and first frame.
Important: make sure that your model rotates as seen in the picture. If you do it otherwise around, you will have the model facing inwards in MTW. In other words, in readbif you will see the unit looking to the right, keep it that way

6.3.4 The base
To get shadows you will need a base. I have made a simple box that is large enough to avoid seeing the sides. On a 1:1 scale my box is 10m x 10m, height does not matter. Make sure that the box has the colour R:0 G:128 B:0 This is very important when using Wellington's UM_LOTR tool to process the images.

6.3.5 The background
Don't ask me why, but when using UM_LOTR, I got the best results when the background of the rending had the colour R:120 G:148 B:224. But when you do this you will need to change some code of UM_LOTR. Luckily I have already changed that piece of code in this download (http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/UM_1.3.zip) (it's the same file as in 2.1.4).

This chapter will get in the future more sections about processing your renderings. -DJ

Wellington
09-08-2003, 16:10
Quote[/b] (Duke John @ Aug. 10 2003,14:13)]Image-origin
The x0 and y0 coordinates equal the distance between the topleft corner, O0, of the image-rectangle and an imaginary point somewhere between the feet of the soldier (the red plus-sign). This point will from now on be called the image-origin. The image-origin can be found by drawing a straight line down the spine of the soldier and intersect with a line between the soldiers feet. These coordinates are relative, to calculate the values you must substract x1 en y1 from the absolute image-origin coordinates.
The image-origin is used as a reference for placing the weapons and shields and to avoid having the soldier "jump" around when moving the camera in-game.
Note that is only true of the Infantry figures.

For Cavalry images the XY-origin (or image-origin) is located near the groin of the rider and is used to align the rider with the Mount (which also has an XY-origin located just above the saddle).

Hence, the XY-origin is used for several things, depending on the type of image -

- aligning an Infantry or Mount figure with the terrain surface
- aligning a Cavalry figure with a Mount
- aligning shields/weapons with Infantry/Cavalry figures

Metal Storm
11-06-2003, 05:49
Quote[/b] (Duke John @ Aug. 10 2003,14:13)]Image-origin
That leaves the coordinates, x0 and y0, which will be made clear with the image below:
http://chronicles.metw.net/images/guide/rectangle.jpg
The image-origin is used as a reference for placing the weapons and shields and to avoid having the soldier "jump" around when the angle changes in-game.
HEY DJ,
Well I thought I had the x0 y0 figured out but when I went to the 3d battle there were a few problems.

#1 They did "Jump" when the angles changed so I know the origins are incorrect. (I don't know how to fix it) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif
#2 I messed up one of the standing angle coordinates but I can fix that. I think I must have inverted a number.
#3 The Elephants appeared to be as small or smaller than horses. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif
#4 I tried to create a new MOUNT but the game would not let me, It did not recognize the Elephant as a MOUNT type. So, I replaced an existing EHorse as the elephant. Is there anyway to create a brand new folder without having to replace an existing one? I remember reading in a post that there can be 10 such folders but it never mentioned how to do it.

Re Berengario I
11-28-2003, 03:08
Quote[/b] ]3.1.2 Review Panel Icon
Function: this icon is used in campaign mode when selecting trainable units and for selecting an army in custom or multi-player battles.
Format: UnitName.BIF, one frame, MTW palette
Sample:

Editing: You should use the unit icon made under 2.3.1 as a base for this icon. First replace the background colour R:207, G:207, B:199 with R:0, G:128, B:0. Then remove any excess smoothness; the grey "aura" around the soldier (be your own judge on this). This image should then be imported in readbif22b.

I always used this procedure but I noticed that even if the bif file display correctly into readbif22b, in the game panels it displays with some random black dots.

This happens with both the review_panel icon bifs than with info_pics image bifs, and not just with my mod (I had the same prob with Wes' MedMod new info_pic images).

I thought it could be a problem of my graphic card but then I used BifViewer CA's utility and I noticed that an original bif is different than one edited with readbif22b even if their palettes are identical. The original is displayed with the usual pink (255 o 255) background, the edited one with a black (I guess transparent) background.

I made a test loading an original bif into readbif22b and saving it again with no editing and the same thing happens even if I haven't touched a single pixel. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

Duke John
01-16-2004, 09:55
I've updated the guide a bit:
- New tool: Unitmaker made by Wellington.
- Added new chapter about making unit graphics. Not finished yet, but it should contain some usefull stuff about setting up a scene.

youone
I've changed section 2.1.3 a bit to make it more clearer on how to make BIFs without problems.

Barocca
Could you perhaps upload UM 1.3 to your tools website? Just to get all the tools at one place. Oh, before you do, you don't mind if I put links to your tools section since it does have a limited bandwith, right?

- Cheers, Duke John http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-party2.gif

Sir Zack de Caldicot
01-23-2004, 13:38
WOW http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif , I cant belive IM talking to Duke JOhn, greatest graphic maker And I love your Beserkes, Ukui-hui Style http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif anyway, two questions:

1.) Can Shogun Bifreaderv22 edit graphics or not?

2.) SAy I want to add a logo on a shield, can I draw it on the units bif In all the frames instead?

Thank you and Im sorry to waste your time http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-wall.gif

Duke John
01-23-2004, 16:23
Next time you can just ask, no need to "worship" me, if you do want to worship someone, worship Gregoshi, he's already getting a nice cult following http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ht_saint.gif

I wouldn't use readbif to edit graphics. You can paint on the bifs, but readbif is not designed for doing this. A painting program like Paint Shop Pro, Photo Shop are much better, of course when you don't have such a program then you're stuck with it.

But assuming you do, just extract all frames and open them with your painting program:

- Then copy the shield you want to edit and paste it into another window,

- edit it untill you're satisfied.

- put grid and snap on, will this help you placing the shield into the frames at the exact same position.

- copy the shield and paste it in the same position on all 12 frames and save the files.

- Then make the bif as explained in my guide.

Good luck,
Duke John

Lord David the Denied
02-24-2004, 11:28
Greetings, Duke John.

I'm trying to mod the Kensai unit in Shogun to reduce him in size. I asked about this on totalwar.com's modding board, and they sent me here.

I've examined your guide, but I can't see the info I need. I want to swap the giant Kensai model for the man-sized No-Dachi Samurai model. How do I do this, please? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif

Duke John
02-24-2004, 12:01
If you want to visually resize the unit then enter a different value for SCALE found in the unitprod file. For example your No-Dachi unit is now looking fine with scale 130. But you want to use the Kensai BIF for the No-Dachi unit. Since you said it was larger you use a smaller value for scale, for example 110.

If you experience further problems, think logically. You stil see the No-Dachi model? Then you didn't specify the correct BIF in the unitprod file. Are the animations all screwed? Then you have the wrong Actionspage coordinates.

Cheers, Duke John

Lord David the Denied
02-24-2004, 18:10
I'm very grateful for your advice, Your Grace, but I have a couple of problems.

Firstly, I can't find the unitprod file in my Shogun directory.

Secondly, I don't want to change anything besides the Kensai's size. He's absurdly large, and I'd like to scale him down. I don't want to swap models or anything else, unless that'll be the most expedient way of reducing the Kensai to more human proportions.

You may have to lead me by the hand, Your Grace. I do appreciate the help though. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif

Duke John
02-24-2004, 22:01
Roleplaying is nice, but you don't have to call me "your grace", "my Lord" will suffice http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-tongue3.gif

But seriously now, I misunderstood you. I thought that you were modding the STW mod for MTW. But you are modding normal STW. Some time ago I browsed through the files of STW, but I believe that modding units is severely limited in STW. So as far as I know it is hardcoded. I am almost 100% on this since there a some BIFs which uses 2 sizes in one BIF while in MTW you only have one value for scale... probably sounds confusing, but I can't help you.

Perhaps you should try out the STW mod, barocca did a good job on converting MTW into STW. You will then have a good atmosphere but also better AI and moddability.

Good luck,
Duke John

Spartan Hoplite
03-15-2004, 20:48
Ok Duke John i have a question , probely makes me look like an idiot. My Question is this , when you mean BMPSource what exactly do you mean? Is it the root source like in your Medieval Total War file?

By the way i am Scipio Man, i was the one on the Middle Earth site asking for help and to join the team , i see now why you said it's not a lecturing class.

Thank You

Duke John
03-15-2004, 23:13
Hi Spartan Hoplite,
In what section did you read BMPSource? It's been a while since I have written this, so please be a bit more eleborate.

Spartan Hoplite
03-16-2004, 03:40
Hey thanks for replying. It is Chapter 2 Step 3 .

Thank You , by the way awsome job on Hellenic Total War and on Middle Earth Total War , and any other's I havnt seen.

Duke John
03-16-2004, 10:44
Quote[/b] ]It is Chapter 2 Step 3.

Quote[/b] ]when you mean BMPSource what exactly do you mean?
There is no mention of BMPSource so I guess

Quote[/b] ]probely makes me look like an idiot
is kinda true http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

With IMAGESOURCE I mean the BMP's that readbif requires images to make a BIF. A BIF is made out of several images (BMP format) and these images are thus the source for readbif, hence IMAGESOURCE.

What name would be more clear for you?

hoggy
04-10-2004, 07:39
Some extra notes that DJ helped me with and might be worth adding:

In unit rendering set up for UM_LOTR.

- Make sure your software can render without edge anti-alias. (I'm using Maya and it doesn't do this if you render against a solid background so I'm using a work-around)

- Naming convention for the resulting renders should be 'angle_name_###of frame' ie. the first frame of dwarf run at 22 degrees = '22_Dwarfrun_001'

- The renders should ideally be done to scale with the final BIF

cheers - hoggy