PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite book/book series

Axeknight
05-10-2004, 19:04
Title says the lot. Discuss your favourite book or series of books.

One of my favourite series are the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell. Mainly cause I love the Napoleonic era. The characterisation is perfecto (especially Harper's bird-watching, while Sharpe's watching very different birds lol), the characters themselves are varied and interesting, and Cornwell can really describe a battle.

Kaiser of Arabia
05-10-2004, 19:13
sharpe too

Accounting Troll
05-10-2004, 19:22
The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, anything written by John Wyndham and The Twelve Ceasers.

JAG
05-10-2004, 19:30
My fav is also by Cornwell but his American Civil War period books - of which he has not finished - The Starbuck series.

Axeknight
05-10-2004, 19:32
Heard good things about the Starbuck chronicles Jag. Apparently, Sharpe's son is in them. Bernard can't get away from the man, can he? lol

JAG
05-10-2004, 19:44
They are very good, if you like the period they are great. And yes his son is in them, a veteran cav officer with many stories and injuries to proove it, he helps Starbuck out. There was talk of him having his own book series.

Axeknight
05-10-2004, 19:47
Quote[/b] (JAG @ May 10 2004,20:44)]a veteran cav officer
I'd be interested to read them just from that comment. Sharpe hates the cavalry with a passion (except for the King's German Legion), so it'd be interesting to find out about his son.

JAG
05-10-2004, 19:52
His son is the opposite, he thinks cav is the only way to wage war, etc. He is a great character and a series of his adventures would be great.

Though Cornwell's next book is about the Vikings.

Axeknight
05-10-2004, 20:03
Gah, this thread is turning into the Jag and Axe show - but hey...

The Viking book is called 'Winter King', right?

I can understand Richard Sharpe's smpathies, and Sharpe junior's, too. British cavalry in the Peninsular were like medieval knights - all after personal glory and fame. Also, Sharpe Snr is poor, and the heavy cavalrymen are uniformly rich, so he's bound to hate them. Sharpe Jnr's fighting a different war, one on the plains, where mobility is needed desperately, so he's going to see cavalry tactics as the best way. Also, he's a cavalryman himself, so he's not going to be jealous, right? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I would talk on the subject all night, but I can't. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

JAG
05-10-2004, 20:15
Winter King is his Arthur books, he is writing a brand new Viking book and maybe a whole series.

Dhepee
05-10-2004, 21:03
The Aubrey/Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian, the best books about the Nelson era navy. I love the character development in them, they are not as plot driven as some might think. They also read like one long novel instead of 20 separate novels.

Maychargewithoutorders
05-10-2004, 21:19
Sharpe is one of my favs too. Tho i think my fav book on its own would have to be Use of Weapons by Iain M.Banks. His sci-fi stuff is literally out of this world. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Beirut
05-10-2004, 21:24
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The best trilogy of five books ever written.

And the Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan books.

hrvojej
05-10-2004, 21:31
Anything from Chekhov, short novels, dramas, it's all great. Other than that, Proust's In Search of Lost Time as the series, while individual books would be Kafka's Process, Camus' Stranger, Voltaire's Candide, and the Iliad.

John86
05-10-2004, 21:33
Stalingrad
By Joachim Wieder

Big King Sanctaphrax
05-10-2004, 23:13
My favourite book is 1984. I'm also a big Lovecraft fan-his writing style is so wonderfully antiquarian. It conjures up images of a hooded figure writing in blood on human skin, in the vaults of a cathedral, during a storm...

Goofball
05-10-2004, 23:43
In no particular order:

1) Stephen Hunter's novels about Earl Swagger and Bob Lee Swagger (does anyone else picture Tom Berenger playing Bob Lee when they make the movie?)

2) W.E.B Griffin (both The Corps and The Brotherhood of War series)

3) Christian Jacq's Ramses series

Sternness
05-10-2004, 23:58
I'm really into deep literature, and at the moment I don't think a single novel has sucked me in as much as Graham Greene's the Power and the Glory. At the same time, I'm currently part-way through Miguel Angel Asturias' El senior presidente, and am quite impressed with that. From time to time, I also enjoy David Morrell and Hagberg for a quick action fix.

Tribesman
05-11-2004, 00:07
Robert Rankin , especially Waiting for Godalming where God fakes his own death for the insurance money so he can spend more time on earth to satisfy his desire for Jewish virgins http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MalibuMan
05-11-2004, 01:33
Was very into Terry Pratchett until recently... now reading one of his books is too much like slipping on a comfortable pair of slippers

RA Salvatore books are good fantasy, as are Weiss and Hickman.

Best sci-fi is Asimov for me.

And I read a lot of non-fiction (does that count?).

Lord Ovaat
05-11-2004, 02:05
My favorite series is by Allen Eckert. All on the American frontier, from Colonial to early 19th Century periods. Excellent detail, but considered both fiction/non-fiction, because he inserts expected or anticipated dialogue to help move the stories. The work is extensively footnoted and some of the best reading I've ever had. Highly enjoyable and informative. I believe there are eight books in the series, the last being, That Dark and Bloody River, referring to the Ohio River. He tries to be as objective as possible, but most documentation is heavily represented from the white point of view, since the Eastern Woodland Tribes left few written records. At least first person accounts. I can't begin to count the books and series I've read in my life, but this series really stands out. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Fanty
05-11-2004, 06:15
My faforite bookseries is Dragonlance (a D&D scenario).
Specially the books by Weiss and Hickman.

ichi
05-11-2004, 06:32
Lord of the Rings. First read it in 1972 and it really grabbed me.

ichi

Gawain of Orkeny
05-11-2004, 08:53
Easy one Frank Herbert and the Dune series.

dessa14
05-11-2004, 09:55
Definatly the inaccuratly named trilogy of five.
HITCH-HIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY.
thanks, dessa

chunkynut
05-11-2004, 11:09
RA Salvatore's Demon trilogy is excellent, as are Frank Herbert's Dune books and i think its Cromwell's series, Harlequin and Vagabond are set around the 100 years war and have a fantasy edge and are good too http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Robin Hobbs 3 Trilogys - The Farseer, The Liveship, and The Tawny Man are 9 of the best books ever written. The characters and the world are amazingly real and there is no chaff in the books only relevant content http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif i can easily recommend that anyone should read them

Ser Clegane
05-11-2004, 11:50
As for the series:

Song of Ice and Fire (George R.R. Martin)
Dune (Frank Herbert)
Memory, Thorn and Sorrow (?) (Tad Williams)
Robin Hobb's series (I still have to read the last one, but will do so very soon)

As for single books, too difficult to point out some particular ones...

gaelic cowboy
05-11-2004, 11:53
Dune

Axeknight
05-11-2004, 16:36
Gotta agree with all those enlightened ones who said The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Too many hilarious scenes to mention.

But the best was probably the part with the 'Ark B', which had set out from a home planet carrying all the hairdressers, telephone sanitisers, market researchers, shampoo door-to-door salesmen etc from some catastrophe (either the moon was going to hit the planet, or the planet was going to hit the moon, or the million-mile long space goat was coming), ahead of the two other 'Arks' (Ark A had the top men, the desicion makers etc, Ark C had the workers), to some unknown (to the crew) planet far away. Ark B never saw the other 2 Arks, but went on regardless. eventually, they crashed (they couldn't land, the scientists had told them, they had to crash), still without seeing the other 2 Arks. They started to set up a culture, but got stuck when they realised that they had to make the wheel one colour (but which?), and fire (but how to market it?).

Meanwhile, the inhabitants of their home planet lived happily without the useless group of people, who they had finally managed to get rid of. Until they all died of a plague spread by dirty telephones.

octavian
05-11-2004, 17:14
Quote[/b] (ichi @ May 11 2004,01:32)]Lord of the Rings. First read it in 1972 and it really grabbed me.

ichi
seconded ichi, combined with all the companion books, it is the most engrossing series around.

Idaho
05-12-2004, 09:54
Quote[/b] (Gawain of Orkeny @ May 11 2004,02:53)]Easy one Frank Herbert and the Dune series.
They are unsupassed non? The first stands alone. But my favourite is God Emperor. Herbert really gets the opportunity to grandstand - to express his despair and optimism with humanity.

I'd recommend a new British Writer who has just published book 4 of a series. Just got it yesterday (I've read the previous three). Really good stuff. Not in Herbert's league - but the best I have read.

Blokes name is Alistair Reynolds. The first book is Revelation Space (which is the weakest) the next Chasm City is excellent and the third Redemption Ark is a cracker. High end science fiction combined with page turning space battler The new one is Absolution Gap and I have only read 2 pages.

Finn
05-12-2004, 10:05
1) Peter F. Hamilton'a Nights Dawn Trilogy
2) Discworld
3) Terry Goodwind's sword of truth series

and have to confess didnt like lord of the rings... ~:o

Ser Clegane
05-12-2004, 10:05
Quote[/b] (Idaho @ May 12 2004,03:54)]They are unsupassed non? The first stands alone. But my favourite is God Emperor. Herbert really gets the opportunity to grandstand - to express his despair and optimism with humanity.
Agree - the first volume is definitely the most fun to read - kind of lows easily.
But if I had to choose a favourite I would also go for the God Emperor - very interesting views on humanity, also the relationships between the main characters were very intriguing (I especially liked the Leto/Hwi Noree couple)

Idaho
05-13-2004, 13:01
Quote[/b] (Finn @ May 12 2004,04:05)]1) Peter F. Hamilton'a Nights Dawn Trilogy
Good series - but a tad lightweight for me. I prefer a bit more 'hard' science fiction.

Finn
05-13-2004, 13:53
Quote[/b] (Idaho @ May 13 2004,13:01)]
Good series - but a tad lightweight for me. I prefer a bit more 'hard' science fiction.
I used to read a lot of asimov when i was a kid, and still read a lot of Iain M Banks stuff, problem is i ran out of robot books and never liked the foundation series.
I have done all the thought provoking ideas when i was a kid and used to read for hours at a time, now i just tend to go for lightweight books that i can jump into for the short periods that i get a chance to read them in

chunkynut
05-13-2004, 14:19
Anyone like Rudy Rucker? I recently read Software and will read The Hacker and the Ants soon.

Softwares a good cyperpunk book http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

SwordsMaster
05-13-2004, 14:37
The Microsoft Encarta series.. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif

I can recommend Shogun by James Clavell.

lancelot
05-13-2004, 18:06
In no particular order,

Foundation series by Asimov

Great War series by H. Turtledove

Lord of the Rings by Tolkien.

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Gawain of Orkeny
05-13-2004, 18:08
Yeah Foundation and Empire was great

Finn
05-13-2004, 22:03
Quote[/b] (chunkynut @ May 13 2004,14:19)]Anyone like Rudy Rucker? I recently read Software and will read The Hacker and the Ants soon.

Softwares a good cyperpunk book http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif
ooh cyberpunk, that reminds me of neuromancer, thats an amazing book (and created the genre)

Rufus
05-25-2004, 19:08
Sharon Kay Penman's books would have to be up there. Her Welsh trilogy - Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, and the Reckoning - are a great telling of the final decades of Welsh independence and the de Montfort rebellions. Great characters - Llewelyn Fawr and Llewelyn ap Gryffydd, Joanna, all the de Montforts, and King Edward, while still easy to dislike, gets a more complex, balanced portrayal than in Braveheart, for example.

Also her book Sunne in Splendour - for an alternative view of Richard III and the Wars of the Roses from the traditional Shakespearean one.

Sjakihata
05-25-2004, 19:12
I really liked Clavell's shogun, if it's the best I do not know, but I really liked it, also Tai Pan was fun.

BDC
05-25-2004, 19:16
Is the third of the Tawney Man triology out yet?

mfberg
05-25-2004, 19:37
Jurgen - James Branch Cabell

Obex
05-25-2004, 20:27
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent, The Unbeliever - Stephen R Donaldson
The Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazney
The Books of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe
The Coldfire Trilogy - C S Friedmen

got to love books about lepers or torturers

solypsist
05-26-2004, 00:03
I admit I've read the Harry Potter books

hey, this was back in the day when I was at airports alot...

Somebody Else
05-26-2004, 00:12
Mary Renault - some great books - the Alexander trilogy for example.

Allan Massie - some books on the Romans

Colleen McCullough - a series of books starting with Marius, ending with Octavian - not bad at all

Many more around that I can't think of at this time...

Fragony
05-26-2004, 12:43
Harry Potter, no really, they are just boatloads of fun.

King Edward
05-26-2004, 13:24
I Have to go with Sharpe, i have read all of them at least twice, just great story's and the characters a brilliant.

Also Just finished the Odyssey of Homer which is brilliant, but have been unable to get my hands on a decent English version of the Iliad.

dessa14
05-27-2004, 10:42
the best book and favorite books of mine are

The Heart Of Darkness Joseph Conrad
The Satanic Verses ive forgotton
Brave New World ? Huxley

My favorite rubbish would be
The Wheel of Time Robert Jordan
The Lord Of The Rings J.R.R Tolkien
Foundation Series (Especially Second Foundation) Isaac Asimov
The War of The Worlds (the original copy) H.G Wells
The Time Machine H.G. Wells
some others.

Harry potter was mildly entertaining.
thanks, dessa

Ser Clegane
05-27-2004, 10:49
Quote[/b] (BDC @ May 25 2004,13:16)]Is the third of the Tawney Man triology out yet?
Yes it is (I guess I have to buy the trilogy soon)

Fool's Fate (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007110588/qid=1085651071/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-8946881-5847646)

chunkynut
05-27-2004, 13:25
Quote[/b] (Ser Clegane @ May 27 2004,10:49)]
Quote[/b] (BDC @ May 25 2004,13:16)]Is the third of the Tawney Man triology out yet?
Yes it is (I guess I have to buy the trilogy soon)

Fool's Fate (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007110588/qid=1085651071/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-8946881-5847646)
They are, i'll say it again, amazing. For anyone who likes fantasy, you'll love this. I don't work for the publishers but not above advertising for them http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Magraev
05-27-2004, 15:02
2) Discworld
3) Terry Goodwind's sword of truth series

and have to confess didnt like lord of the rings... ~:o
Spot on for 1 and 3. I know nothing about discworld, and I'll just ignore the blasphemy below, even if I must admit that I think that Lord of the rings is better as a movie than as a book (too slow for the modern audience).

I love the late great Douglas Adams too, but I'm actually more a fan of the Dirk Gently series (you can't go wrong with a title like the long dark teatime of the soul).

My favorite Adams story is about the trucker who absolutely hates rain. And it always seems to rain where he is. He has 200 different names for different kinds of rain and he hates them all. What he doesn't know is, that he is a rain-god and that the clouds follow him around to worship him and keep him moist. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

BDC
05-27-2004, 17:40
If you like Douglas Adams, you will like Terry Pratchett and the Discworld novels. Really good fiction, might need to be British to understand them though...

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

His The Last Hero is wonderfully illustrated too.

Magraev
05-28-2004, 07:20
Maybe I'll give it a go - reading the new Hamilton atm. (Pandoras world or something similar). I've seen the pratchett books often, but never tried reading them.

R'as al Ghul
05-28-2004, 14:35
Hi all,

I know that you asked for books but since I reread Lone Wolf & Cub these days I thought I point some of you to this great Epic of a Graphic novel.
Have a look here for a preview:
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=40-092
(Midway under the Cover is the preview Link)

The story of Lone Wolf & Cub is set in the Edo period of Japan. That's after Sengoku Jidai. Japan is united under a Tokugawa Shogun. Ogami Itto, the Shogun's executioner, falls victim to a plot by the mighty Yagyu Clan. They kill his wife and take his post as Kaishakunin (executioner) by intrigue. Itto and his son Daigoro set out on a quest to avenge the death of the wife, regain the office and the honour and destroy the Yagyu clan. This quest for revenge takes a few thousand pages, devided into about 150 chapters of single stories with the overall plot as a red thread.

The single stories offer a good view on the japanese life at the time. Samurais, Ashigaru, Yakuza, Geishas, Merchants and so on. Every group of people is portrayed. It provides such a rich diversity of stories often with a kind of religious buddhist undertone that one doesn't get tired to read it again and again.
The main theme is of course revenge, so we see Itto carve his way through armies of Samurai with his Dotanuki battlesword and his Naginatas. He has to defeat Ninjas, Shinobis, the Yagyus, Ronin etc. before he can complete his quest. It's not unlike an Italo Western with Django or the like. (Quite as much as Seven Samurai inspired The glorious Seven (I hope that's the English title))
The Graphic depiction is in beautiful black & white pencil & ink. The battle scenes are fast paced, cineastic but not as ridiculously drawn as in recent manga.
It's a masterpiece which won the Harvey & Eisner Awards and inspired comic writers around the globe. It's also avaiable as a jap. TV-series from the 70's.

Everyone who loves Shogun-Total War should go and get it.

Cheers

R'as al Ghul

thrashaholic
05-28-2004, 16:58
I liked His Dark Materials (Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, etc.) by Philip Pullman. I also liked the Redwall Series by Brian Jaques when I was a bit younger. Both series are very good enjoyable adventure type books.

My favourite comedy book would have be a book called Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe. Its set in imaginary college at Cambridge University called Porterhouse. It has some very funny moments and probably even more funny if you are at or have been to University (which I have not being 15yo).

Thrashaholic

Teutonic Knight
05-28-2004, 17:10
My favorite book is The Red Horse by Eugenio Corti, it's about Italian resistance fighters in occupied Italy in WWII, incredible book.

Axeknight
05-30-2004, 12:44
Quote[/b] (Magraev @ May 27 2004,16:02)]My favorite Adams story is about the trucker who absolutely hates rain. And it always seems to rain where he is. He has 200 different names for different kinds of rain and he hates them all. What he doesn't know is, that he is a rain-god and that the clouds follow him around to worship him and keep him moist. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
His trucking firm was called McKenna's All-weather Haulage LOL http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

There was a seat just for him in every service station from London to Denmark...

I liked the Krikkit robots and their multifunctional battleclubs (cricket bats), which they used to fire grenades (cricket balls), at their enemies, the confederation of the Wikkit (wickets).

RisingSun
05-30-2004, 17:13
Just can't beat Lord of the Rings for me.

Finn
06-01-2004, 10:31
Quote[/b] (Magraev @ May 28 2004,07:20)]Maybe I'll give it a go - reading the new Hamilton atm. (Pandoras world or something similar). I've seen the pratchett books often, but never tried reading them.
waiting for the paperback to come out before i read that one

in fact both the new hamilton and the new terry goodwind are only out on hardback here atm so have to wait..

after i finish the nights dawn trilogy (again) my girlfriend is making me read robert jordan, wheel of time series, not at all sure about that http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Ser Clegane
06-01-2004, 10:39
Quote[/b] (Finn @ June 01 2004,04:31)]my girlfriend is making me read robert jordan, wheel of time series, not at all sure about that http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif
Be prepared for a looooong read ... I am not quite sure if this series is ever going to end.

Personally I really liked it very much for the first 3 or 4 volumes. IMO it went downhill after that and I gave up reading it after book 8.
If Mr. Jordan ever decides to end this monster I might however pick it up again to see how it ends...

Finn
06-01-2004, 10:56
Quote[/b] (Ser Clegane @ June 01 2004,10:39)]Be prepared for a looooong read ... I am not quite sure if this series is ever going to end.

Personally I really liked it very much for the first 3 or 4 volumes. IMO it went downhill after that and I gave up reading it after book 8.
If Mr. Jordan ever decides to end this monster I might however pick it up again to see how it ends...
well what is putting me off is its set in the lord of the rings world supposedly, i *really* didnt like lord of the rings (wasnt that into the films, battles were good but there was far too much slack while they just had long drawn out shots of the scenery) as i found them pretty boring and far too little action, i'm hoping robert jordan is not gonna be the same..

Magraev
06-01-2004, 12:10
Quote[/b] (Finn @ June 01 2004,04:31)]
Quote[/b] (Magraev @ May 28 2004,07:20)]Maybe I'll give it a go - reading the new Hamilton atm. (Pandoras world or something similar). I've seen the pratchett books often, but never tried reading them.
waiting for the paperback to come out before i read that one

in fact both the new hamilton and the new terry goodwind are only out on hardback here atm so have to wait..

after i finish the nights dawn trilogy (again) my girlfriend is making me read robert jordan, wheel of time series, not at all sure about that http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif
Actually I'm not entirely hooked.

It's another universe than the other books. For one thing the space-travel is by worm-hole and not ship, and everybody is practically immortal thanks to rejuve. Makes the whole thing a bit disinteresting to be honest.

And it's called Pandoras Star btw. Sleeping Dragon is probably my favorite book from Hamilton.

Goodkind is the best author I've read in recent memory. It's too narrow to call it fantasy, since his book are about morals, politics and love far more than they are about dragons and knights (actually he may be going a bit too far in that direction for my tastes).

Ser Clegane
06-01-2004, 12:21
Quote[/b] (Magraev @ June 01 2004,06:10)](actually he may be going a bit too far in that direction for my tastes).
Indeed ... his last books were not very subtle in telling the reader what Mr. Goodkind thinks about communism or people who prefer peaceful solutions for conflicts http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Funny, my opinion about the Sword of Truth series is quite similar to Rober Jordan's Wheel of Time.

The first two books were great, the third still was good. After that my feeling was that Terry Goodkind ran our of ideas ... the characters and the plot became quite shallow (he really hit rock bottom with Pillars of Creation)and his blunt attempts to make political statements did not help either.

I have not read Naked Empire yet - I sure hope TG improves again as I actually like his writing style.

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-01-2004, 12:28
If we are including non-fiction books in this, I have enjoyed immensely all of Antony Beevor's books. Stalingrad, Berlin, and the ones about the Spanish civil war.

dessa14
06-01-2004, 12:42
BKS we need your brain, you are last one in a 5 million year equation, you were there right up to the destruction of the earth, we are willing to pay you for it. we can replace it with a electronic one, a simple one shall suffice....

thanks, dessa

Lord Dazed & Confused
06-01-2004, 13:03
Tad williams Dragon Bone Chair & Otherland series
Terry Pratchett Discworld series (except for the Last continent) and Good Omens very funny
Lord of the Rings
Stephen King Talisman, The Stand, Dark Tower series
and many many more http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-book2.gif

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-01-2004, 13:34
Quote[/b] (dessa14 @ June 01 2004,12:42)]BKS we need your brain, you are last one in a 5 million year equation, you were there right up to the destruction of the earth, we are willing to pay you for it. we can replace it with a electronic one, a simple one shall suffice....

thanks, dessa
??? aaargh

Lord Dazed and Confused, are you by any chance a Led Zeppelin fan?

Axeknight
06-01-2004, 17:47
Quote[/b] (dessa14 @ June 01 2004,13:42)]BKS we need your brain, you are last one in a 5 million year equation, you were there right up to the destruction of the earth, we are willing to pay you for it. we can replace it with a electronic one, a simple one shall suffice....

thanks, dessa
Any other major answers you're looking for the questions to, dessa?

I'm having trouble my lifestyle... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-confused.gif

Red Peasant
06-01-2004, 22:23
Quote[/b] (King Edward @ May 26 2004,12:24)]I Have to go with Sharpe, i have read all of them at least twice, just great story's and the characters a brilliant.

Also Just finished the Odyssey of Homer which is brilliant, but have been unable to get my hands on a decent English version of the Iliad.
Try the Iliad version by the great modern American translator, Robert Fagles, available in Penguin for about £7.99. Don't let the fact that it is done in blank verse put you off, it is a rapid, action-packed and evocative read. Un-put-downable. Don't get the old Penguin translation by E V Rieu, which is turgid.

scooter_the_shooter
06-01-2004, 22:26
Gates of Fire and Tides of War buth by Steven Pressfield

TheSilverKnight
06-01-2004, 23:24
Sharpe's Series, Warlord Chronicles, absolutely any Historical Fiction book, I also like the 4-in-1 book Brothers of the Gwynedd Quartet. That is a masterful book of Medieval Wales, which I happen to be reading right now http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

dessa14
06-02-2004, 02:10
of course that phrase i think i am having trouble with my lifestyle is the most insulting comment in their language

King Edward
06-02-2004, 16:09
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif Cheers Red Peasant, I'll try and order a copy Today

Axeknight
06-02-2004, 18:55
Quote[/b] (dessa14 @ June 02 2004,03:10)]of course that phrase i think i am having trouble with my lifestyle is the most insulting comment in their language
Ah, the Vl'Hurgs... Those guys and their black jewelled battle shorts...

The Blind King of Bohemia
06-02-2004, 20:46
I love the Sharpe series and harry potter books. Also enjoyed David Gemmells Druss and Skilgannon the dammned books.