PDA

View Full Version : ever get a game and then not play it?

solypsist
05-13-2004, 06:48
I got Tropico when it came out, played it maybe four times, and then uninstalled it. it was a good game, but i wasn't into it at the time. i have yet to play it.

Last summer I bought Black and White. Installed it, and then noticed my computer couldn;t handle it very well. I installed it when I got a new computer last Dec. and still haven't even opened it.

And these arne't even the crappy games. Over the past month I've been looking for games (borrowing from people who recommend them), trying SimCity4, C&C Generals, Sims, Fire Warrior, Warcraft 3 and starCraft - and they lasted maybe one play before I pulled the plug

Anyone else? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Voigtkampf
05-13-2004, 07:17
I'll put in a Taffey Lewis quote here: All the time, pal.

Working (this is my freelancing fun stuff job) for a computer magazine gives me the opportunity to access the latest games, the hottest demos and newest programs for testing. However, a great deal of those demos and games I never even try out. Check this one out; I received Manhunt and Hitman Contracts some two weeks ago and still haven't come around to installing them. Many of them I have installed just once and laid my hands of them, Black and White as one of them but also WW 1 The Great War, Tortuga Pirate Hunter, Syberia 2, Project Earth being only some of them which I see on my shelf as I write this.

And for the big hit; I have UT2K4 and I have played some twenty minutes of that game online and just couldn't make friends. I stick to the Call of Duty, thank you very much.

I also tried to embark on Wolfenstein terrain, a free online game with a good deal of followers, but it couldn't get anywhere near the Call of Duty for me.

BTW, I believe I have Tropico too somewhere, never playe3d it though...

TonkaToys
05-13-2004, 08:45
Tell me about it...

I bought loads of games on the basis that eventually I'd have a good enough PC to play them on ... including Black & White like both of you

I now have a good enough PC, but have playing only MTW... also now have a sprog, so no more free time.

Beirut
05-13-2004, 11:51
So true, so sad.

Splinter Cell (got stuck)
CFS3 (it sucked)
LOMAC (got IL2-AEP pack and sheleved LOMAC)

Best bang for the bucks;

IL2 series
Ghost Recon series
CFS1
Medieval:Total War

Rosacrux
05-13-2004, 12:36
Darn, here go 40 Euros
(Bought and never played)

MOO3 (tried really hard but couldn't get to like it)
HOMM4 (Same here)
M&M 9 (Lasted probably 2 hours on my HD)
Call to Power (marginaly more than a day)

Better safe than sorry
tried and did not buy

Diablo (yikes)
Morrorwind (good but couldn't bloody stand it)
KOTOR (I have an aversion for non-fantasy RPGs but I though I'd give it a try)
Hearts of Iron (darn complicated but I might give it another go in the future)

Tricky Lady
05-13-2004, 17:55
Bought The Sims but never played it for more then 20 minutes. It was looking too much like my real life, so boring. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif
The Settlers III was another waste of money.

Port Royale, RRTC III, MTW and Tropico are the only games that really made me forget the time...

Nelson
05-13-2004, 18:17
I bought the Sudden Strike series a few months ago for just a few bucks. Still haven't played it.

Forward Observer
05-14-2004, 05:52
Man, I got a ton of games that I never finished and even more that I hardly played.

Empire Earth--got bored by the end of the tutorial

Red Faction---just lost interest about halfway through

CFS 3---it sucked so bad it was on my HD only 2 days.

B17-the mighty 8th--ran like crap on my old machine--never got back to it when I got my new rig.

Gunship--the game was buggy, and I couldn't fly a helicopter for crap.

Age of Sail II--total bug ridden piece of crap.

Freelancer--space flight sim that won't let me use my $90 joystick---boring anyway.

Enemy Engaged--Apache/Havoc--another helo sim--got it before I discovered I hate helicopter sims.

Mig Alley---I hate jets almost as much as helos.

Robin Hood--Legend of Sherwood---It looked pretty in the screenies, but the game play put me to sleep.

Stronghold Crusader--loved the first game, but the sequel was just an uninspired rehash of the original.

Comand and Conquer-Renegade--once again bored by the end of the tutorial.

Rowan's Battle of Britain---ran like crap--never waited around for the 2 years it took to get it fixed when they finally released the code.

Half-Life--got it free with a graphics card or sound card--I forget which--just never installed it.

Startrek--Klingon Academy---what was I thinking?

Starwars Starfighter--arcade crap--again, what was I thinking?

I know there are more, but they are probably hidden away in some box im my closet, and I never want to see or even think about them again.

Cheers

Alrowan
05-14-2004, 06:27
Bought, played and still play:

MTW + VI
STW + WE
SimCity4 + Rush hour
CoD

Bought and never played much...

none..

i guess its because i have the mentality that i bought it, so i better play it. Most of the time the games that are hard to get into at first are real corkers, the thing that stops me playing them is when i pull out the old stuff.

Seven.the.Hun
05-14-2004, 06:30
hmm, well no, would not aquire if i dont use, VI, and shogun are just 2 of a small list of computer games i have, and i think both are great, and i havent owned a game platform thing in a years, so i dont really have the current info and exp on all the new psx2 stuff all the other popular ones now, eh, perhaps i can get a few in the future, see some of the new stuff that has been conjured up... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-toff.gif

Seven.the.Hun
05-14-2004, 06:32
oh yes, and Alrowan ...what is CoD??? not sure i know about that one...

hrvojej
05-14-2004, 06:47
I seem to have a gaming depression lately. Nothing seems to be able to grip me at all. I've gotten several games on some very favorable sales, all of which I thought I wanted to play, but now all that I'm able to think of is how imperfect and stupid they are. I'm having a hard time at work, and I could really use some diversion, but instead it seems that I'll be able to get it only after I sort the work thing out. Bummer. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/frown.gif

Alrowan
05-14-2004, 07:27
CoD = Call of Duty

Voigtkampf
05-14-2004, 07:35
Oh, Alrowan, that is my all-time favorite FPS too Are you in a clan or are you a ronin?

IMHO, there is no FPS experience like that smooth, deadly bolt action a good Kar98 or a steady Mosin - Nagant can deliver; my weapons of choice

Sternness
05-16-2004, 18:47
I can only think of 3 games that I purchased and never really got into.

The Sims (Couldn't see any real point to the game)
Black and White (The whole idea of training your animal didn't turn out as well as I had hoped)
Red Faction (Got mildly stuck and never felt motivated to continue)

Kraellin
05-16-2004, 19:19
i liked black and white. clever game.

but yeah, i've got boxes i've never even opened, over a year old now. some are prolly even decent.

there are two nasty trends going on right now in computer gaming... copy cat games and all-graphics-and-no-play types. i mean, how many wwii shooters does one need? and what happened to 'gaming', having an actual game to play?

there's actually a third, even nastier trend going on too...unfinished games; games that just never get fully developed. and oh, the list of those is almost endless. how many games have you played lately that you play that you actually sort of like, but just wish they'd have kept it in development for another 6 months and 'finished' it? i've seen some really potentially great games hit the market and go 'wow now, if they'd only do this and that and fix all the bugs and let me create with it...'. disappointment.

i'm also a little tired of the truly gymnastic shooters with unreal penalties. i play wolfenstein ET, the free one you play online, and whereas this thing is pretty fun, it gets a bit odd, and even humorous, seeing people dancing around bullets like some old B-movie six gun 'make em dance' type thing. and if you die, you 're-spawn' in 5 seconds. uh, yeah, ok, gee, that's real. lol. if there's no penalty, death means nothing more than a 5 second delay in your gaming. now, that can be fun, but sometimes you want a match of wits, stealth, firepower and the other 'dogs of war' that keep your head down and your awareness and wits up.

and mentioning 'stealth' gets my goat even further. there isnt one shooter, not one, that even comes close to using 'stealth' as a weapon. i love playing snipers. but there isnt a game out there that does it right. in fact, some go overboard to eliminate it by sticking name tags above one's head in order to be seen more clearly gah i'd love to see a game that really does this up right. i'd love to be able to stalk an enemy for an hour just to get that one perfect shot. now, THAT would be a cool game and if you make 'foilage', it shld actually hide you lol. how many games have i seen where they'll include tall grass and bushes only to have them worthless as cover.

real war was about keeping your head down. advancing an inch sometimes took days or weeks. ever notice on some strat games that almost any engagement is over in a minute? or that advances almost never stall out like they do in real war? there is a reason for this. a real major engagement could last a VERY long time. there were 'fronts' with major army groups pitted against each other. these things could last for weeks with each side feeling out the weaknesses of the other.

now, i realize most folks want that instant gratification of 'the kill' when yer talking about a war shooter. that's fine; i understand all that. most shooters arent really simulations, they're contests, sporting events and can be loads of fun taken that way, but i also would love to see a real simulator. you have one life. you die, you lose. game over. in fact, it would be an interesting test of skill and wit if you bought a game, installed it, ran it, and if you ever died in the game, you couldnt play it again ;) now that would be more realistic and i'll bet a whole lot more folks would 'keep their heads down' ;)

K.

frogbeastegg
05-16-2004, 19:44
:reads Krae's post: http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-stunned.gif You've managed to out do me in the long post stakes

That is practically a whole new topic you've started there. Have you played the Thief games? They get stealth right, in a thiefish way.

Graphics over gameplay...I can remember when they said that about the invention of the 3D accelerator. Right now there are plenty of games that look good but have either little substance or repeat the same old hat as a billion other games, but as far as I can remember this has always been the case. Remember the plagues of doom clones, quake clones, age of empires clones,...

Games I have but didn't play much...empire earth, that was the game where I learned I reallyhated RTS now. American Conquest - if hate RTS, so why did I buy this? Black and White, nice idea, shame about the poor execution, endless droning villagers demanding goods, and very boring/crappy warfare you were forced to take part in. Homeworld, the camera made me feel really sick. Half Life, I got half way through the budget version and got very bored, this is one of the most over rated games in existence IMO.

Kraellin
05-16-2004, 19:59
ah, i'd forgotten about Homeworld. that one was a love to hate it, or hate to love it one for me. the 'world' was gorgeous and even some of the gameplay was ok, but it had some real logic flaws and 'only the AI can do this' and limited playing field, and poor combat controller (i spent more time finding and grouping my ships than actually fighting). i also found the mining bit a tad too 'rigged'. i'd have preferred a more open gameplay style. i did play it all the way through, though, which is something of a testament in its favor. but, i didnt buy the sequel(s).

and no, havent played the thief series at all. i think i've got II on a double cd somewhere that was given to me by a store clerk saying 'this was a returned copy that the buyer couldnt get to install', so i never even tried :) so, that keeps me on topic here as one of those never installed types ;)

oh, you've prolly never seen a real 'Kraellin' post before, frogster; ask some of the vets here about some of my longer ones... if they can even remember being unconscious ;)

K.

nightcrawlerblue
05-16-2004, 21:00
Well just a few. I only have an allowance (only 14, no job) so I have to enjoy everything I buy basically.

One of the few is Galactic Civilizations. Great game made by a great company but I could never get into it. Don't really know why I just couldn't.

Also, X-Com Apocalypse. I bought it, played it and enjoyed it for 1 month then my mom saw it on a list for violent games or something in the newspaper and banned it from playing until I was 13. I finally turned 13 and installed it. Played it for a while but soon after I changed computers and it wouldn't install. I've recently changed computers again but still no luck (it says that I don't fulfill system requirements?).

Simcity4 was also a story like that but now I'm getting into it again. My dad bought most of the Sims expansions but I gave up after the 3rd (or 4th. Who knows They have like the 220th out right now...).

Kraellin
05-16-2004, 22:29
the worst is when you buy a game, dont open the box, forget you have it, and buy it again in the store, then dont open that box ;) got a couple of those lying around... d'oh.

K.

nightcrawlerblue
05-17-2004, 04:43
Quote[/b] (Kraellin @ May 16 2004,16:29)]the worst is when you buy a game, dont open the box, forget you have it, and buy it again in the store, then dont open that box ;) got a couple of those lying around... d'oh.

K.
I don't think that happens too often for most of us... Sounds like a personal problem to me... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Leet Eriksson
05-17-2004, 05:02
No there is something worse than that Kraellin.

Getting a game playing it,then buying it again under a different title thinking that its another game....And that happened 2 times to me.

I also have a box of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3,its un-opened so far.....

dessa14
05-18-2004, 11:28
only one game that i can recall not playing much, and that was Ice wind dale.
thanks, dessa

econ21
05-18-2004, 11:43
I have a number of games I know to be great that I have not played:

Half-life
Combat Mission
Deus Ex
Operation Flashpoint
Gothic 2
Waterloo, Napoleon's Last Victory
Close Combat 2

I buy them on budget based on their reputation, but can't get over the energy activation barrier involved in learning a new interface or genre. Partly, I am also saving them for when I get the time to commit to a serious game.

The number of unfinished games is just too many to count (only ever finished MTW by participating in PBMs).

Kraellin - on stealthy shooters, have you tried Ghost Recon or Vietcong? I don't really play shooters, but those struck me as being of the same level of authenticity as say, MTW. Especially in Ghost Recon, the emphasis is on getting the drop on the enemy (one shot kills and the AI is no slouch at shooting). I preferred Vietcong tho, more cinematic and partly because it could be made less realistic - giving more scope for heroics - by playing at an easier difficulty level.

Lechev
05-18-2004, 14:34
Bought and never finnish the game ( Blunders for the Buck ):-
1) MOO3
2) Freedom Force
3) Black & White--> Stuck on map 4
4) Brotherhood of steel ( based on Fallout story )
5) Shadow of Uldrentide ( Neverwinternights expansion 1)

Biggest Bang for the Bucks

1) Neverwinternight
2) Horde of Underdark ( expansion 2 )
3) MTW & VI
4) MOO2
3) Close Combat 3 ( Eastern Front )

The_Emperor
05-18-2004, 14:50
Hmmm, games installed but almost never played?

C&C Generals (Why oh why did I buy it?) Too much cheese in that one. I grew really bored with quickly, the gameplay sucked and it was a real let down... Especially starting off with the invasion of Baghdad and comming on release in the run up to the War. Too much Patriotism in that one.

Commandos 2 Got stuck, got anoyed... Uninstalled the game a friend borrowed it, didn't see the CD for over two years (along with my Shogun CD) http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif

You know Black and White I liked, but then I focused more on the creature and the silver scroll trials than anything else.

Quote[/b] ] endless droning villagers demanding goods, and very boring/crappy warfare you were forced to take part in.
Oh man those villagers were annoying... No wonder I Went Evil on it. Must have Homes, have a Lightning bolt instead you pathetic whiners

The warfare got very tiresome in later lands (3 and 5) where villages were so far outside your influence you couldn't even reach them to impress them... Also when your creature entered an enemy god's territory he got zapped, so he was useless for conversion.

Ultimately I was forced to hurl fireballs and rocks from afar, and it droned on too long.

frogbeastegg
05-18-2004, 15:35
Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ May 18 2004,14:50)]Oh man those villagers were annoying... No wonder I Went Evil on it. Must have Homes, have a Lightning bolt instead you pathetic whiners
You could kill every single person in the world and the voice would keep going...I know, I tried. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/flat.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

dessa14
05-18-2004, 16:46
the game got boring for me once throwing people at cliffs got boring.
thanks, dessa

Navaros
06-16-2004, 07:40
i got System Shock 2 for $10 CAN and it's the worst waste of my gaming dollars that i ever had the misfortune of squandering

System Shock 2 is an utterly horrendous game. infinitely re-spawning enemies with infinite ammo, whereas YOU the player can only respawn a very limited amount of time, and have very, very limited ammo with which you are supposed to somehow magically kill never-ending swarms of re-spawning enemies.

doesn't take a Doctorate of Mathematics to realize that that's just totally shoddy design

King Edward
06-16-2004, 10:03
I have loads of games that are still in the Cellophane

Examples,
- Homeworld
- Homeworld cataclysum
- Ceasar 3
- Impurium Gallactica 2
- Sudden Strike 1 & 2
- The Sims
- Meadal of Honour, cant remember which one

I seem to be stuck playing MTW, STW and Championship manager

also am desperatly tring to get hold of UFO Enemy Unknown as i lost mine when i moved house. Very aged now but one of my favorite games of all time

Rufus
06-16-2004, 21:48
Europa 1400. I chose innkeeper as the occupation. Here's the game: Make booze. Sell booze. Make booze. Sell booze. Become a citizen - yay Make booze. Sell booze. Become a night watchman - yay Oh, my barmaid has the plague.

And so on. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-zzz.gif

nightcrawlerblue
06-16-2004, 21:54
Sounds boring. You never even got to drink it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Spino
06-16-2004, 22:50
Vampire: Masquerade - Loved the demo, bought the game about a year ago and haven't cracked the seal since. I really do mean to play it, I just simply haven't gotten around to it yet.

Black & White - Played it for a few hours before I realized the strategy aspect of the game sucked eggs. When that happened the 'wow' effect created by the powerful creature AI faded quickly.

Battlefield Vietnam - I was so psyched for this game I bought it the day after it came out. Unfortunately I only loaded it up two or three times after that. It just doesn't hold up to the original Battlefield 1942, especially the Desert Combat mod.

Navaros
06-17-2004, 00:07
Quote[/b] (Spino @ June 16 2004,16:50)]Vampire: Masquerade - Loved the demo, bought the game about a year ago and haven't cracked the seal since. I really do mean to play it, I just simply haven't gotten around to it yet.
that's a GREAT game

one word of advice: spend most of your stat points on the attributes that help you resist being Frenzied. do not just do this for you - but for ALL characters in your party as well. if you don't do this, your party members will drop like flies constantly

off the top of my head, i believe these attributes are Wisdom and Intelligence - but be sure to check the manual before you play just to be sure, and to make sure i haven't missed any http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Spino
06-17-2004, 15:02
Quote[/b] (Navaros @ June 16 2004,19:07)]
Quote[/b] (Spino @ June 16 2004,16:50)]Vampire: Masquerade - Loved the demo, bought the game about a year ago and haven't cracked the seal since. I really do mean to play it, I just simply haven't gotten around to it yet.
that's a GREAT game

one word of advice: spend most of your stat points on the attributes that help you resist being Frenzied. do not just do this for you - but for ALL characters in your party as well. if you don't do this, your party members will drop like flies constantly

off the top of my head, i believe these attributes are Wisdom and Intelligence - but be sure to check the manual before you play just to be sure, and to make sure i haven't missed any http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
Thanks for the tip http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

mfberg
06-17-2004, 17:24
Homeworld
D&D games for windows 3.1/95/98
Tank commander 2? the commands were terrible
MOO 3 - never finished, still wishing they had killed it before it left the factory.

Play now
MTW-VI
Close Combat (3 Russian front, I lost my version of 2)

still paying for, but won't be able to play for months
Dragonrealms (text-mud)

mfberg

tombom
06-20-2004, 11:00
Pax Romana. The worst game I ever bought. I don't even know why. I just didn't enjoy it much. It was probably something to do with starting a scenario, and then having the screen plagued with messages.