PDA

View Full Version : Help with some sources

Somebody Else
05-17-2004, 20:44
I'm planning to reapply to read a different course, Classics, here at university. One of the things I need is an example of my written work - a long essay or suchlike. As all my A-levels were sciences, I don't have much to go by there - especially as I threw it all away.

I'm thinking of writing something about the effects of Marian reforms on Rome as a whole, not just on the Legions - I decided on this because what I from what I have read - mainly novels - he seems to be rather interesting, plus I'm quite interested in late Republican Rome - the emperors don't interest me as much.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for sources I could use to research this...

Thanks in advance.

solypsist
05-17-2004, 21:53
just repurpose a previosuly written article from somewhere just this one time.
if you blatantly plagiarize, you risk getting caught, but since this is just an example of work, you can easily lift a paragraph or two from somewhere and properly edit it to suit your style.

now before everyone out there starts screaming dishonesty, let's face reality:
1. SE needs an example of good writing on something he previouly has little or no experience in doing.
2. He needs it relatively soon, so there's no time for a full-blown reasearch project.
3. It's just an example. It's not in exchange for a grade, credit, or publication.
4. If you want to get in, then sometimes one needs to focus on success rather than potential setbacks. This instance is no different than interviewing for a job in which you lack some of the required skills, and saying you know them (which is one of the top-ten rules for getting a job).

Somebody Else
05-17-2004, 22:03
Quote[/b] (solypsist @ May 17 2004,23:53)]just repurpose a previosuly written article from somewhere just this one time.
if you blatantly plagiarize, you risk getting caught, but since this is just an example of work, you can easily lift a paragraph or two from somewhere and properly edit it to suit your style.

now before everyone out there starts screaming dishonesty, let's face reality:
1. SE needs an example of good writing on something he previouly has little or no experience in doing.
2. He needs it relatively soon, so there's no time for a full-blown reasearch project.
3. It's just an example. It's not in exchange for a grade, credit, or publication.
4. If you want to get in, then sometimes one needs to focus on success rather than potential setbacks. This instance is no different than interviewing for a job in which you lack some of the required skills, and saying you know them (which is one of the top-ten rules for getting a job).
Thanks Soly, for the advice, but I would actually like to write something - I just need some decent historical reference books suggested.

In response to the points you made:

1. The texts should get me up to speed.
2. I've got until October - plenty of time.
3. True
4. I'd like to do this for myself as well - no point faking myself in and then not being able to make the grade.

But thanks anyway.

son of spam
05-18-2004, 04:02
Quote[/b] (solypsist @ May 17 2004,15:53)]just repurpose a previosuly written article from somewhere just this one time.
That's right As a wise man (or cheater) once said If you copy from one source, it's plaigairism, if you copy from many, it's research http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif