PDA

View Full Version : American Civil War Strategy Games

Kaiser of Arabia
05-26-2004, 00:44
ntienam,

Hi,
do any of you know of any good American Civil War strategy games? I have Sid Meyers Antienam and Gettysburg but when I start a battle it comes up with a Antienam .exe has encountered an error and needs to be closed message. I just installed it on my semi-new computer (august 5th I got it up and running). Any help there would help. Thanks
-Capo

Cazbol
05-26-2004, 09:08
It's a fairly old game. Have you checked if it is said to be able to run under your operating system? Some older games don't work under XP for instance.

econ21
05-26-2004, 15:37
There is a downloadable version of an old American Civil Wargame made available on the net by its developer - it was called something innovative like American Civil War and I have a vague memory it was by Frank Hunter, but I may be wrong - I downloaded it but never played it. It was strategic level and a pretty serious wargame, although graphically not up to Sid Meier or Total War.

At the tactical level, what I played a LOT was Norm Koger's Age of Rifles. This covered 1816-1905 or there abouts, but naturally had many Civil War scenarios. It was a good fun, hex and turn based wargame with a solid historical database, a decent IGO-UGO game system and reasonable AI - in many ways comparable to Steel Panthers. I believe it is available to download from the Home of the Underdogs - the company selling it (SSI) went bust and the creator, Norm Koger, has said he approves of the game being available as abandonware from the Underdogs. One of the best things about the game are the user-made scenarios on the net (try the wargame.com site) - I've played scores of Napoleonic ones and they are great fun.

I tried the Sid Meier game, but could not get into it - old stuck in the mud turn-based gamer I was. After immersing myself in TotalWar maybe I should go back to it?

ElementUK
05-26-2004, 19:19
Yes you should It's an excellent game...I have not been able to play Antietnam because I cant purchase it anywhere.

Lehesu
05-27-2004, 03:28
Civil War Generals 2 is a dated but very good turn-based civil war game, allowing you to fight a lot of major battles. There are also maps with boats etc. Very good game, I highly recommend it if you can get past the slightly aged gfx.

ElementUK
05-27-2004, 07:47
Prefer Real Time games especially when it's of the Combat genre.

Kaiser of Arabia
07-21-2004, 00:17
Well, I got it fixed and had a really nice decisive victory against the Union in the morning phases of the battle.
-Capo

lonewolf371
08-10-2004, 04:34
American Civil War by Frank Hunter?

I think I bought that game years back, it's ridiculously simple yet at the same time complex and largely fun. If I'm thinking of the right game, it's has a basic hex map where you build armies, divisions, and the like, promote generals, manage production of both munitions and guns in off-map states and cities, run past Union blockades with cotton to get supplies as the south and so on... If you're really good as the south sometimes you can get one of the European powers (France or Britain) to intervene.