PDA

View Full Version : Who can I request re: TW site

RedKnight
05-29-2004, 08:38
I would like to ask TotalWar.org to kill a couple of MTW FAQs posted for me over a year ago (the farm amortization spreadsheets by "Fay").

From the TW homepage, there is a "Download and Upload" section, which, if you access it, says "Downloads". (What happened to uploads?)

At the bottom of the page is "TotalWar.org Online Upload Tools", which sounds a lot like "you have to install some .exe in order to upload".

Why not just call it "uploads", and not bury it so much? It's a page for downloads AND uploads, isn't it?

I can't find a place to contact a site admin anywhere. From the homepage, there is no "contacts" link. There is "Site Information" and "Site Staff", but there is no "contact so and so re: so and so", etc.

PLEASE don't get me wrong. I love all the stuff I've found here. But it's very cold to someone who wants to talk directly to the staff, and unnecessarily complex for those who want to upload stuff. Look at it from the outsider's view. Ask your gf to find who to contact for something, within 60 seconds... that's how a good site is set up. Can she do it?

It's ONLY in these two minor areas that I complain - in all other areas, this site totally rocks, 110% But why not get these two minor areas on board, since they're so important to newbies?

Who should I ask, to delete my old upload files?

Thanks folks Keep your blades sharp I say these words only to make this place better... you guys rock

Gregoshi
05-29-2004, 08:49
RK, contact information is on the home page down the left hand column under the poll. It is a box entitled "Staff".

As for the download/upload & FAQ deletion, barocca would be the one to start with. He oughta be by soon.

RedKnight
05-29-2004, 09:16
Thanks, Greg You're the best of moderators that I have ever seen... and I've been playing games since 1984 Infocom, lol.

I thank you greatly for the particular pointer you just provided. I will send him a request in regard to deleting my old files, soon. FWIW: I made those back before I understood the effects of acumen, so while they aren't outrageously wrong, they're unnecessarily complex. I get people emailing me from time to time... now that I know the game better (thanks to Economics 101 and the many other helpful folks here), I need to kill those old, incorrect files.

That said, I ask you, good servant of the cause of MTW, to take another look at my words above. For sure, I said them a bit hastily. But if you would be so kind, consider how I asked that there be a "contacts" link for uploads/downloads. And you, kindly soul, directed me to a staff member, whose description says nothing at all about uploads and downloads. By a process of elimination, I now see that you are talking about the one out of two people who are site administrators (barocca and Tosa Inu).

Remember how I specified the gf test? How would she have fared on this site?

Sure, this is all a volunteer forum. And loved by the community. But the fact remains, I played MTW for a year, and can't tell who to contact in this, the main MTW site, for my concerns.

So, this reply isn't directed at you - it's directed at the main site admins.

Site admins, please make a "contact" link under the "Staff" rubric that tells folks who to contact for what particular purpose.

This is also known as, many sites have a webmaster link. This site has none, per se. It's as simple as that. Who wants to guess who's the right person, out of a dozen staff listed? "Where IS the webmaster link; am I missing something?" is what most noobs think.

I hope I have not overextended your ear. Good friend Greg, these remarks are not directed at you. They are for the site in general - and a great and wonderful site, it is. You've all sunk months or years of your time into it, for little or no payoff, besides the joy of friends and games.

Anyway. I encourage the site to adopt a "contacts" or very obvious single "webmaster" link. And to clarify to 'upload' issue.

And lest I forget...

THANKS for this totally rocking site

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

TosaInu
05-29-2004, 11:31
Hello RedKnight,

Deleting files is a hard thing, unless they are truely a bugged nightmare you can never know when a file becomes obsolete. Our idea is to keep old files in the files section. One out of thousand people may enjoy your hard work daily and be in need of a fresh copy. Very frustrating when it's gone. Compare it to Microsoft removing all XP support when Longhorn is released.

And even if they are bugged, it may be an excellent idea which could be picked up and developed further by someone else.

That page indeed only mentions Downloads, the uploaders weren't there yet when the page was made. I agree it's a bit confusing.

Just uploads, English is not my 1st language, but wouldn't that be a bit confusing too? Upload how? Do you need an FTP program for that? How to make it short, clear and 'convince' people that it's easy and safe enough to do it?

The page is designed when there was just STW and a handful of links, the page is overcrowded now, not to say a bit messy. We're looking how to organize that better. That outsiders view is a good way to work.

Thanks for the feedback, RedKnight.