PDA

View Full Version : MTW economics 101 condensed edition

ah_dut
05-28-2004, 19:08
MTW economics 101 Summary:

Your economy in MTW and STW for that matter hinges on the 4 pillars of the economy. These are mines, agriculture, trade and if you’ve got them, good governors.
First off mines:
A salt mine gives you 26 florins a year and costs 250 florins.
A salt mine complex costs the same but only yields an additional 5%
The same goes for other mines. They give you 37 florins for silver and 52 for gold respectively.
Tactics: you should build the first level mines everywhere before the second level is even started. Obviously gold is a better investment than salt. So build the right mines first.
Courtesy of RedKnight, here is a more accurate figure for mine income:
There are four types of mines, each of which makes a multiple of the lowest level one (Salt's 26):

Salt - 26
Copper - 52
Silver - 78
Gold - 104

All the mine complexes double the income of the regular mine, but cost less than twice as much. Thus, the first-level mines pay for themself in 10-14 years, and the second levels pay for themself in 16-18 years. I generally consider anything less than 20 years to be pretty good (whether farms, mines, or trade). But because salt and copper produce so little income in real terms, I often delay them, especially in provinces that have something else important going on, like developing trade and farms in Sweden before its copper.

Might I also point out a simple mnemonic for figuring amortization (pay-off) time here, and a modelled listing of every province's income from all sources, here (an Excel spreadsheet).

Agriculture: this type of income differs greatly between provinces. Constantinople produces over 1000 florins a year with upgrades. Sinai doesn’t get you 100 florins a year with all upgrades IIRC

Ex. Take a province with 300 florins from agriculture
20% upgrade (costs 600) = 60 extra florins
40% upgrade (costs 1000) = +60 more
60% upgrade (costs 1500) = +60 more
80% upgrade (costs 2500) = +60 more
Table from Mbrasher1
So the yields are:
20% upgrade = 10 percent
40% upgrade = 6 percent
60% upgrade = 4 percent
80% upgrade = 2.2 percent

You can figure out how many years your investment will pay off by dividing 100% by the yield. An investment that yields 2% will take 50 years to pay off.
Table from Mbrasher1

Trade: now we’re getting fat and greedy. This can both bankrupt you and make you a millionaire literally.
Big question how does this fantastic system work? To make the megabucks you need, a port, a merchant and a fleet. You also can’t be at war with your trading partners obviously.
If your ships link your merchant and port to their port, you have some money. With the no. of ports in places like the Nile cost etc, and the no. of provinces wit trade goods you see how great a source of income this is.

With 5 ships and 3 ports built in Antioch, Tripoli and Egypt, and 2 captured in Greece and Constantinople, I built a small trade network for:
2250 florins (3 ports)
3000 florins (5 ships)
2400 florins (3 trading posts – 2 others were captured)
1200 florins (2 docks)

And just like that my trade network is producing 1150 florins yearly. If I invest 8850 and get 1150, that is an annual yield of about 13%, even in its initial stages, far superior than most other economic investments.

Then after 5 more years, I have built 3 more ships. My total investment is now 10,650 but the increased network is now giving me an additional 2300, or a total annual yield of over 20%. (A little more complicated: look at the extra investment and the extra return. I added 1800 florins to my investment and increased my return by 1150 per year compared to the earlier first trade period. This is called the marginal return, and it exceeds 60 percent.)

By the time I reach Portugal, I now have 23,450 florins invested in my trade network, which totals 19 ships (and new ports/trading posts in conquered Crimea, Khazar, Nicea and Bulgaria). My profits from trade are now 12,300 annually. This is a 50% return on my initial investment. It pays me back every other year. And then again. And agan.

Then after building enough ships to reach the Baltic, I have spent 30,650 on my trade network. It gives me 26,500 in florins per year. This return is almost 90 percent. Though it took me 20 years to build, my entire network nearly pays for its cost every year.
Below are the prices obtainable for trade products courtesy of therother.
Thanks to Mbrasher1 for stats here.
glassware 40, wood 20, furs 40, wine 40, wool 30, silk 40, cotton 30, linen 30, wax 20, honey 40, salt 20, hides 30, butter 20, pottery 30, fish 20, spices 50, gems 50, sugar 40, dyes 50, ivory 40, olive oil 30, grain 30. This tells you why Antioch, with its gems, spices and silks, is so profitable
You may well need naval predominance to complete this however.
Edit: from Mfberg: you can trade with neutral rebels

Governors: each acumen plume a Governors has adds 10% to a provinces income. So a 9-acumen governor does wonders for a rich province.
Certain virtues can also increase production, namely the easily acquired steward and the harder to get but in the trading days more useful, trader.
To acquire either virtue is simple. To get steward, your general king or whatever must be present in the province when an agricultural upgrade is being built and finished. To acquire, the trader virtue, the man must be present during the building of a mine and it’s finish. Each virtue gives +10% production for each type respectively, so according to Katank, you should build and then destroy basic mines and agriculture upgrades to farm the virtue, I agree.
Also of note may be the fact that every one of your king’s acumen plumes gives your provs an extra 2% to monetary production.
Big NB though, once a king gets his steward virtue, the effect is permanent, at least according to Doug-Thompson.

Probably Just as important as many of the above is your support costs. Some units cost a lot in support. Good units include VI peasants celtic warriors, Gallowglasses and Bonnachts, below is list compiled of good garrison units by Davey baby.
men / unit = cost
100 Peasants/Muslim Peasants = 37
100 Viking Thralls = 37
100 Bonnachts = 22 (Very Cheap)
100 Nubian Spearmen = 37
100 Celtic Warriors = 25 (Very Cheap)
60 Golden Horde Warriors = 22
60 Irish Dartmen = 22
60 Crossbows / Pav Crossbows = 22
60 Arbalesters / Pav Arbs = 22
60 Arquebusiers = 22
60 Woodsmen = 22
60 Gallowglasses = 22
60 Highland clansmen = 22
60 Kerns = 22
60 Slav Javelin Men = 22
100 VI peasants =12

Cebei
05-28-2004, 19:48
I want to ask something I'm not very clear about. Does garrisonning a place with all-peasants, increase the likelihood of a rebellion? In other words, is loyalty related to the power of the garrison, as it is related to the size of the garrisson? Or stuffing a castle with peasants is equal to stuffing the castle with -say- more expensive chivalric men-at-arms in terms of the percentage of loyalty?

ah_dut
05-28-2004, 19:54
Nope for loyalty, your peasants are as scary as royal knights and lancers all the same. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Cebei
05-28-2004, 19:56
Quote[/b] (ah_dut @ May 28 2004,13:54)]Nope for loyalty, your peasants are as scary as royal knights and lancers all the same. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
Thanks That will save some florins for my governors to favor their family above all. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

RedKnight
05-29-2004, 00:42
Thanks for that summarization, Ah_dut I was too busy playing to take the time http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

A slight clarification of the mines info, if I could:

There are four types of mines, each of which makes a multiple of the lowest level one (Salt's 26):

Salt - 26
Copper - 52
Silver - 78
Gold - 104

All the mine complexes double the income of the regular mine, but cost less than twice as much. Thus, the first-level mines pay for themself in 10-14 years, and the second levels pay for themself in 16-18 years. I generally consider anything less than 20 years to be pretty good (whether farms, mines, or trade). But because salt and copper produce so little income in real terms, I often delay them, especially in provinces that have something else important going on, like developing trade and farms in Sweden before its copper.

Might I also point out a simple mnemonic for figuring amortization (pay-off) time here (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=18742), and a modelled listing of every province's income from all sources, here (http://home.speedfactory.net/mikestar/ProvinceIncomeModel.xls) (an Excel spreadsheet).

Gregoshi
05-29-2004, 06:29
Thanks ah_dut. I'll incorporate RedKnight's corrections when I have the time and then I'll move it to the Guides forum.

ah_dut
05-29-2004, 13:41
All edited in Gregoshi no need to worry about it any more. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif Also Red|Knight, is it okay if I use your better mine income projections?

Gregoshi
05-30-2004, 20:57
Moving to the Guides forum. Thanks again ah_dut for putting it all together.

ah_dut
05-31-2004, 00:24
Pleased to do a service to the org as always greg anything i can do just ask

katank
05-31-2004, 15:46
good job, ah_dut http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

I was just wondering if we should also condense some of the faction guides in similar manner.

we can offer say aggressive strat (my blitz types), defensive/turtle strats, and in between ones for each faciton and each era.

this would be quite time consuming but would make the faciton guides into even better resources IMHO.

katank
05-31-2004, 16:42
BTW, any votes for getting this stickified?

this is a great resource.

frogbeastegg
05-31-2004, 16:44
Quote[/b] (katank @ May 31 2004,15:46)]I was just wondering if we should also condense some of the faction guides in similar manner.
I think that was Cheetah's original plan, that's why there are three posts reserved at the start of each topic saying nothing more than 'early', 'high, and 'late'.

Cheetah seems to have been very busy recently, he is the primary mod for this forum. I'll send him a PM and see what's happening, then report back here.

In the event of him being too busy to do much here I can edit Cheetah's posts, but I don't have time to condense anything. Are there any volunteers to condense things down for me to copy over? It must be kept to the scheme that has been laid out, with tactics falling into their specific eras.

Can we shift this discussion over to the comments and suggestions (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=34;t=16856) thread please? It will keep this thread focused, it seems a shame to spoil hard work with off-topic business talk.

Thanks for your hard work, ah_dut, in case you didn't see my comment in the other thread. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ht_bow.gif

Ludens
06-02-2004, 18:03
Just one thing I think should be added:

The link (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=18841;st=50) to the original discussion, for the record but also because it contains a lot of unconnected facts that might be interesting.

Good job, ah_dut

ah_dut
06-03-2004, 18:09
Thank you all, for praise,
@katank what does 'stickified' mean i'm confused

katank
06-04-2004, 02:05
stickified means that it gets a place at the very top of the forum and is pinned there so later posts will not move it down.

this is the case for remarkably good posts like lady froggy's guides.

ah_dut
06-04-2004, 17:41
Why thank you katank, I wouldn't put this post anywhere near the quality of Froggy's guides though http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mfberg
06-15-2004, 21:15
A note on trade
You can trade with rebels as long as you are not at war with any rebel faction. This means you must not be next to any rebels and must move out of sea lanes next to any rebels for a year to get back to neutral with them.

mfberg

ah_dut
06-17-2004, 19:14
I'll edit that in

Zortanius
06-20-2004, 04:05
Just a clarification, I know I canot trade with factiosn I am at war with but can i trade with myself - If I hold Egypt and say Antioch - can each province trade with each other (the goods each one does not have)? IIRC I read somewhere that you cannot trade woth yourself - which sucks as the more you expand - the more provinces you cannot trade with

Cheers

Ludens
06-20-2004, 14:34
Zortianus, you can not trade with yourself. It is annoying and counterintuitive (why would they stop needing wool just because I've conquered them), but it is so all the same.

Zortanius
06-20-2004, 18:46
Thankyou Ludens,

Indeed it is very counterintuitive - plus in reality different merchants in different provinces did trade with each other. Also if one could trade with each other there would be more incentive to invade and perhaps losing more troops in the bargain would not be that big a deal. Alas.

However without getting too ahead of myself here, my suggestion is that the trade between 2 points should be also dependent on the number of ships in the sea route. So if you had atleast 2 ships in every sea region between say Egypt and Venice your trade whould be more than if you had just one. Also this way you spread your ships out more and don't just have a large armada sitting out in the Straits of Gibraltar or the Aegean Sea. Since ships cost atleast 700 florins on average I don't think it's too much to ask for.

Onward Sea Traders

Cheers

Steppe Merc
06-21-2004, 19:36
Perhaps you should include an How to get out of 10k + debt... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

ah_dut
06-23-2004, 17:29
Quote[/b] (Steppe Merc @ June 21 2004,21:36)]Perhaps you should include an How to get out of 10k + debt... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif
What do you need Merc?

mcv
06-27-2004, 18:11
Just don't get in 10k+ debt. I don't think I've ever been in debt (although I often cannot complete my build orders).
Just make sure you're not wasting too much money on the maintainance of useless troops. Keep your forces small, efficient and high quality. Dump peasants the minute you don't need them anymore, which is as soon as the threat of rebellion is gone.

mcv.

ah_dut
06-27-2004, 19:38
Quote[/b] (mcv @ June 27 2004,20:11)]Just don't get in 10k+ debt. I don't think I've ever been in debt (although I often cannot complete my build orders).
Just make sure you're not wasting too much money on the maintainance of useless troops. Keep your forces small, efficient and high quality. Dump peasants the minute you don't need them anymore, which is as soon as the threat of rebellion is gone.

mcv.
what, have you ever played as the danes, i was in the red for a decade http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

mcv
07-02-2004, 14:00
How do you get in debt as the Danes? They start with a good port and good shipbuilding ability, and few provinces to waste money on. If there's one faction that should do well financially, it's the Danes.

Now if you had trouble with the HRE, that I can understand. Turkish finances are hard too, as is anyone else's that starts without sea access.

mcv.

ah_dut
07-02-2004, 17:39
trade aint cheap to set up

mcv
07-03-2004, 15:14
But you earn your expenses back real fast. Especially as Denmark. And even at Expert you have enough starting money to build a couple of ships.

mcv.

The_Emperor
07-06-2004, 12:53
The key to getting enough Money as the Danes to tech up is ransom, confiscated lands and plunder...

The raiding of nearby provinces and the slaying of rebels can make for a good cash earner.

ah_dut
07-06-2004, 22:32
Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ July 06 2004,06:53)]The key to getting enough Money as the Danes to tech up is ransom, confiscated lands and plunder...

The raiding of nearby provinces and the slaying of rebels can make for a good cash earner.
yeah what he said http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Clown_Killer
07-24-2004, 14:31
Whenever I got into debt, it was because my army was too large. I dont know what your circumstances are, but I found war to be a good solution (ironicly).

What ends up happening is that as troops are killed off, their maintenance cost lessen. You brobably knew that, but I find the added bonus of confiscated flourins especially enticing.

ah_dut
07-24-2004, 15:04
clown killer, i should have mentioned that, but it seemed a bit obvious and not really particularly related to my type of economics guide

Mayfield The Conqueror
08-23-2004, 21:13
Good guide there.. but I think I missed something. Does anyone have info on how the Acumen of a Governor affect the income of a province?? I have not found it anywhere.. just wondering how much a 3 acumen increases, vs a 4 or a five. I have been just building and disbanding peasants in order to get high acumen leaders.

Also does any province structure affect the acumen of a leader you build?? Would be interesting if lets say Cathedrals increase Acumen (since Cathedrals and monasteries were the places of learning in the medieval world).

HicRic
08-23-2004, 21:17
Good guide there.. but I think I missed something. Does anyone have info on how the Acumen of a Governor affect the income of a province?? I have not found it anywhere.. just wondering how much a 3 acumen increases, vs a 4 or a five. I have been just building and disbanding peasants in order to get high acumen leaders.

Also does any province structure affect the acumen of a leader you build?? Would be interesting if lets say Cathedrals increase Acumen (since Cathedrals and monasteries were the places of learning in the medieval world).

I believe each feather of acumen gives +10% to the province income, and each feather of acumen on the King gives +2% to all provinces income, IIRC.

Mayfield The Conqueror
08-24-2004, 15:10
I believe each feather of acumen gives +10% to the province income, and each feather of acumen on the King gives +2% to all provinces income, IIRC.

And does the Chancellor or any of the other "office holders" of that ilk have any effect??

katank
08-24-2004, 22:15
chancellery and other administrative buildings give titles that can be assigned to boost acumen or other stat of the title bearer and chamberlain title gives +2 acumen which is useful for a gov.

I find 4 acu to be min. threshold for govs and in really rich provinces use exheirs who are usually really high acumen due to selective breeding and high influence king.

Beronar
10-14-2004, 07:28
Zortianus, you can not trade with yourself. It is annoying and counterintuitive (why would they stop needing wool just because I've conquered them), but it is so all the same.

You do trade with your own provinces after conquering them - you just don't get any import/export taxes anymore!

bretwalda
10-19-2004, 13:39
You do trade with your own provinces after conquering them - you just don't get any import/export taxes anymore!

Hence no state income, either, right? No florins in my coffers... ;)

mfberg
10-19-2004, 16:02
Hence no state income, either, right? No florins in my coffers... ;)

True, however some provinces are very profitable just trading inside their own borders. (Edessa and Armenia can make over 100 a turn with a trader, more with bigger buildings)

mfberg

Lanemerkel1
11-18-2004, 18:33
OK heres my deal I am the byzantines and I am building up a trading empire here are my coastal provinces and their uses:

SHIPBUILDING/TRADING:
CRIMEA
KHAZAR
TRIPOLI
ANTIOCH
NICEA
BULGARIA
SICILY
NAPLES
GREECE
KIEV
SARDINA

SHIPBUILDING:
CRETE
MALTA
CYPRUS
RHODES
NOVOGRAD
GOERGIA
LIVONIA
LITHUANIA
CYRENIA
MOLDAVIA

I am gonna use 20 years to make 110 GUNGALLEYS (22X20=440/4=110).
to build the fleet Its gonna cost me 110000 Florins and after its built it'll cost me 110000 Florins every 20 Years to support it.(I am NOT counting the support cost of the ones before they are finished being built) so that'll give me 2 gungalleys per sea in the game (40 seas in the game so 40/110=2.75 I'll just make it 2. 3 in some of the seas espeicialy the eastern med and the english channel.) I also have 46 GOVERNMENT POSITIONS up for grabs and 50 generals with 5 or above acumen. I also am buliding up trade in the landlocked province of syria (pretty much moving the stuff in syria to antioch and then exporting it) then I'll make cathedrals in every province (I found it brings in cash maybe through offering...) anyway then i used cheats (yes i cheat a little) to build 3 mines and complexes in every province however I'll probabaly on the next campaign not cheat (at least not cheat as much) I still will probably use .worksundays. but that'll be it. so i am wondering how much i'll make a year i guess i'll have to wait until the fleets done. then after the fleet is done i'll build another 110 ships to put 4 in every sea so I can protect my trade. so it'll cost me 40 years and 440000 Florins to get this trade empire up any suggestions besides not cheating?

Lanemerkel1
11-18-2004, 18:37
oh yeah I DO NOT USE THE MONEY CHEAT

mcv
11-29-2004, 04:56
What's the effect of bigger merchant buildings? As far as I can tell, they give a very small boost to trade. Is that really worth it? With a large sea trade network, that small boost can still amount to a decent sum, but by that time, you don't really need it anymore. It seems to me that bigger merchants are a waste of time. Anyone disagree?

mcv.

mfberg
12-03-2004, 21:13
It depends on the trade income generated and the number of wars you plan. If you go to war with everyone else (ie cut off all your trading partners), then that extra 50 florins comes in handy sometimes. Personally I will build them when I have the money, but only after my troop/happiness buildings. I will build them sooner in provinces with 2 trade items, and immediately in provinces with 3 trade items.

mfberg

Goatus Maximus
02-10-2005, 22:29
Great post...very useful especially w/regard to King's acumen.

On that note, does anyone have any stats for the bump that the Chancellor/Vizier gives to the economy? Or the Archbishop? I'm assuming the Archbishop gives a bump owing to the +2 acumen associated with the title.

Ludens
02-19-2005, 11:36
On that note, does anyone have any stats for the bump that the Chancellor/Vizier gives to the economy? Or the Archbishop? I'm assuming the Archbishop gives a bump owing to the +2 acumen associated with the title.
Non-provincial titles do not influence the economy of your nation as a whole. They merely give extra accumen to the bearer, so they should go the the Lords of your richest provinces.

Unfortunatly, I do not know the bonusses these titles give, except for the Viking era. These are:

Royal Hall: +1 command
Royal Mint: +2 loyalty, +2 acumen
Court of Law: +2 loyalty, +2 dread
Royal armoury: +2 loyalty, +2 command

JakoTheOne
02-23-2005, 19:08
what I call an imperialist empire is an empire that does only conquers the provinces whichs has good trade goods.
in order to know what are the provinces that are going to give you more earnings, go to /medieval - total war/campmap/startpos and open the txt campaign you're gonna play. Now create a new txt doc and past there the region trade goods, now, change each trade goods name by it costs so you know what is the real worth of the trade goods of that province so you can choose what provinces you can take (you should take just the 20-30 richest provinces because a 10 florins of trade good region will not give you more money than the money you'll earn by trade with that region with your other provinces, i mean, that you cant trade with your own provinces so all your other provinces will trade with all neutrall/allied provinces so if you conquer a poor province it wont give more money that by trade with it)
at Napoleonic Total War i tried to play with the richest province, Prusia and playing just with it i reached 25000 florins each year and i was recruiting militias (50 man by 6 florins) so I could have a total of 208333 militia in just that province!!!! of course I like playing with no year limit and looking how another nations expands his power to figth mine

cutepuppy
03-05-2005, 14:22
Great post...very useful especially w/regard to King's acumen.

chancellor: +3 acumen
archbishop: +2 acumen
some governor titles give extra acumen too (rhodos, tripoli, crimea,... the governor of champaign gets +3acumen in 1150, it's one of those historical events)

bhackney
03-29-2005, 01:34
QUOTING Ah_Dut's article that starts this thread:
To get steward, your general king or whatever must be present in the province when an agricultural upgrade is being built and finished. To acquire, the trader virtue, the man must be present during the building of a mine and it’s finish.

I must be missing something, here. I've tried and tried to get my King or a Governor one of these virtues, making sure they're in the province when the mine or farm starts building, stay all the way through, and even hang on for a turn after the building is complete. I've NEVER gotten either "steward" or "trader." Did the VI expansion (or its latest patch) mess this up? Or is it just me? [I KNOW I'm the target of SOME conspiracy out there, SOME where.]

ah_dut
03-29-2005, 17:21
I haven't played MTW in a while...but what I said holds true...in my experiance and the seemingly gone Katank's. If you build loadsa farm upgrades, you get steward. Just build a salt mine with your prince/king/whatever then rip it down...rinse and repeat, building another mine. This should net you the neccesary virtue

bhackney
03-29-2005, 17:50
...rinse and repeat, building another . . . This should net you the neccesary virtue
So it's a persistence kinda thing? ~:confused:

ah_dut
03-30-2005, 21:57
iirc yes...

travel zen
04-18-2005, 10:38
With the Russians, economics are nice and easy.

Conquer the Danes and build a fleet that stretches down to Spain. Likewise build a fleet from Kiev to Italy. More than enough money.

Kraggenmor
05-12-2005, 19:51
Do more ships in a trade route = more Florins receieved by trade?

If I set up a trade route with a port 4 'seas' away:

Will that route make more money if I have 3 ships in every sea between my self and the trading port, than if I had only one?

katank
05-20-2005, 21:52
@Kraggenmor, more ships do not equal more income. However, having multiple ships in a key sea like the gulf of Cadiz will ensure that your trade routes don't all go to hell if a little storm occurs.

Once I get access to deep water ships, I keep about 2-3 deep water ships in each sea zone to help maintain continuity of my trade routes which stretch the world.

In MTW, once you establish a chain around about 1/4 of the seas, you are already financially well off. Once you get a ship in every sea zone, you are rich beyond belief.

Note that in naval war times, more ships are needed. Usually, every one of my coastal provinces is capable of at least basic ship production.

katank
05-20-2005, 21:55
@ bhackney, the kings get credit for everything that goes on in their empire. Governors only get credit for presence. Heirs get credit for being there upon completion.

A bug allows heirs to keep their steward/trader virtues when they become king and get another set while king. Something like Great Trader and Magnificent Trader at the same time is great as it stacks. That's why I ship heirs around the map to attend all the completion ceremonies.

Evil Medieval
08-24-2005, 09:48
Statistics are Everything!

Can anyone help with the answers to some of these numerical-related questions?

1. What effect does % damage have on performance of artillery, and does the number of crew present affect accuracy or reload times?

2. How many successful "hits" does an assassin have to make before he gains a valour level?

3. How do priests and alims gain valour? Mine always stay at 0!

4. Often in battle the enemy AI general leaves the field before the battle begins (CHICKEN!). Does this act reduce enemy morale?

5. How can you estimate the chances of success in a naval battle before committing to it?

6. When ordering a new unit, can you predict or direct that the unit will be a general or basic type, and is there a way of generating generals with higher command ratings?

7. Finally, when attacking from more than 1 province, how do you know which type of terrain the battle will be fought on ?

Cheers guys & gals.

Ludens
08-24-2005, 15:10
Hello Evil Medieval, welcome to the Org.

This is an economics thread, not a statistics one. These questions would be better placed in the M:TW forum of the Org, the Main Hall, or in the numerology thread at the totalwar.com forums. But because you are new, I will answer your questions.

1. What effect does % damage have on performance of artillery, and does the number of crew present affect accuracy or reload times?
Damage to siege weapons has no effect as far as I know, provided it stays below 100%. Siege weapons require a minimum number of crew to operate, if it falls below that they won't work. Bigger crews have no effect.

2. How many successful "hits" does an assassin have to make before he gains a valour level?
That depends on the nature and valour (or command ability) of the target and the valour of the assassin.

3. How do priests and alims gain valour? Mine always stay at 0!
By causing religious revolts (or at least: being present when they happen). They are alike to spies in this matter. There are also a number of hero-priests that come with higher valour.

4. Often in battle the enemy AI general leaves the field before the battle begins (CHICKEN!). Does this act reduce enemy morale?
Blast, I've forgotten. I think not, but I am not sure.

5. How can you estimate the chances of success in a naval battle before committing to it?
You can't, but usually the AI has a big edge, so make sure you have an overpowering stack led by a good admiral. BTW, the AI knows when you will attack its fleet and will often try to escape. The chance of escape is depended on the speeds of the attacking and escaping fleets. The speed of a fleet is equal to that of its slowest ship, so attacking a fast fleet with at least one slow ships doesn't work. There was a thread on this a few days ago in the Mail hall.

6. When ordering a new unit, can you predict or direct that the unit will be a general or basic type, and is there a way of generating generals with higher command ratings?
Unit leaders with command stars will pop up occasionally if you have a high-influence king. The same applies to command ability for fleets.

7. Finally, when attacking from more than 1 province, how do you know which type of terrain the battle will be fought on?
I think it depends on the province from which the biggest stack attacked, but it might be the province from where the general attacked.

I hope this answers your questions :bow:

laxnsailin
09-28-2005, 18:56
Okay, I know this is a stupid question, but how do I tell the ships to trade? I have built a large navy up, and I have some ports what do I do next?

Ludens
09-28-2005, 19:16
Okay, I know this is a stupid question, but how do I tell the ships to trade? I have built a large navy up, and I have some ports what do I do next?
You need an unbroken line of ships (unbroken as in: at least one ship of yours in each of the seas in between the trading provinces: use the V key to spot blockades by enemy ships) from a province with a port and a trader to a neutral or allied province with a port. Your own provinces do not generate trade revenue and neither will enemy provinces (keep in mind that the rebels are treated as one faction: take a rebel province and none of the rebels will trade with you until you get an auto cease-fire). You can check the profit made on the economics screen and on the info screen of the trader building. The info screen of the port will show import revenue: the amount of money you make by taxing tradeable goods of other factions.

John XVI
03-19-2006, 17:55
How long will the Plague affect the incomes? I mean : First I'm doing very well,and bam,the plague comes and income plummets.

Barbarossa1221
04-03-2006, 02:38
Excellent guide, I wasnt sure if different trade resources got better income till now.
MTW economy pretty much is all about trade, the most money i got in a game was like 300k and most of it was from trade.
But trade can be risky if you pick war with the wrong people. Like Italy because they usually pack a big fleet which can sink your profits pretty easy.

Agent Miles
09-13-2006, 10:42
Just some small points for a great thread.
The farther your ships are from your nearest port, the more you pay in support costs. It maxes out at 4 times the normal cost per ship, so its not a great deal, but it adds up. Thus, control of an island port here and there will save you some florins and shouldn't be a burden on your military. Also, the support cost of the smallest ship is greater than the next largest, so you can again save on expenses if you don't seed the world's waters with Barques or Dhows, but wait to tech up first. (Some Mods may change this.)

ninja
10-03-2006, 13:33
yeah, trade is great.
at the very start only things i build are ships, traders and inns. mercenary armies of strong units nobody among enemies can create do expansion while trade is growing. after 15-20 years i have a highest income and best provinces in my own.

sorry for my english (:

Gray
12-07-2007, 22:41
Hi, nice thread...
Could anyone please specify the cash value of each type of goods?
I mean, I want to be able to calculate the trade revenue of a province before I decide of conquering it.

And another question,
How much does the level of acumen affect the province?

I see the thread wasn’t discussed lately,
I hope there is someone active to help me.
Thx.

Martok
12-08-2007, 01:01
Hi, nice thread...
Could anyone please specify the cash value of each type of goods?
I mean, I want to be able to calculate the trade revenue of a province before I decide of conquering it.
I'm not sure anyone's really calculated the exact value of each trade good, although you can probably locate (and edit, if you wish) that information in the files somewhere.

I *can* tell you, however, that the value of trade goods matters far less than the location of the provinces in which they're produced. Provinces with coastlines (and can therefore build ports) have a far greater potential trade income than landlocked provinces -- a coastal province with 1 trade good is generally going to make you far more money than a landlocked province with 3 trade goods -- so that's really what you want to look for. :yes:

It's a big reason why the Egyptians can make so much money. So long as they hold Egypt, Antioch, & Tripoli (all coastal provinces with trade goods), they retain the ability to earn enormous wealth from trade.

And another question,
How much does the level of acumen affect the province?

I see the thread wasn’t discussed lately,
I hope there is someone active to help me.
Thx.
A governor increases his province's income by roughly 8% for each point of acumen he possesses (e.g., a governor with 5 acumen will increase his province's income by about 40%). Kings and state officials (Grand Chamberlain, Qadi al Quda, etc.) will increase the income of all your faction's provinces, but to a lesser degree -- I believe they increase income by around 2-3% per point of acumen.

predaturd
12-08-2007, 23:26
mines
mines take 12 years to pay off complexes take 22

trade resource value (trading post 100% merchant 120% guold 140% master 160%
glassware 40, wood 20, furs 40, wine 40, wool 30, silk 40, cotton 30, linen 30, wax 20, honey 40, salt 20, hides 30, butter 20, pottery 30, fish 20, spices 50, gems 50, sugar 40, dyes 50, ivory 40, olive oil 30, grain 30. #This tells you why Antioch, with its gems, spices and silks, is so profitable

thats the economic section of my compilation of stuff i like to know that iver collected from the net

also if you go to the economic parchment (the button with the gold coins) and left click a provinces name it tells you what its trading and where so you can estimate it from there

to change the values go to C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\campmap\startpos and search for this line "Declare the tradable goods for this campaign."

Ludens
12-15-2007, 19:10
Kings and state officials (Grand Chamberlain, Qadi al Quda, etc.) will increase the income of all your faction's provinces, but to a lesser degree -- I believe they increase income by around 2-3% per point of acumen.
I hate to correct you, but according to the guide it's 10% for governors and 2% for Kings. I used to think that chamberlains etc. also had an effect, but IIRC someone tested it and found it was not the case.

Martok
12-19-2007, 05:46
I hate to correct you, but according to the guide it's 10% for governors and 2% for Kings. I used to think that chamberlains etc. also had an effect, but IIRC someone tested it and found it was not the case.
I've tested these things as well, and those were the numbers I came up with. It's admittedly been a while since I last did this, however -- probably 2 or 3 years ago -- so I won't claim to be absolutely certain of my figures.

I of the Storm
12-19-2007, 14:03
I hope it hasn't been mentioned yet:
The Chamberlain (actually all the global titles with acumen) title will give a huge benefit if you give it to the holder of a province title. Ideally, if you're after more money, your highest acumen official should hold both the title of your richest province and of Chancellor/Chamberlain or whatever boosts his acumen further (no additional use if he's at 9 already though). This way he will raise the income of that province, sometimes dramatically. It might net you more this way.

Ludens
12-24-2007, 14:03
I've tested these things as well, and those were the numbers I came up with. It's admittedly been a while since I last did this, however -- probably 2 or 3 years ago -- so I won't claim to be absolutely certain of my figures.
I guess I was wrong then. My apologies for falsely correcting you.

Martok
12-24-2007, 17:51
I guess I was wrong then. My apologies for falsely correcting you.
No need to apologize, mate. :bow:

Besides which, I think you may be right about state officials not having a kingdom-wide effect. Given that, I think I may go back and test *all* my numbers again, just to be sure they are in fact correct.