PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Holy Roman Empire

Rufus
06-01-2004, 23:59
CHAPTER I - A New Emperor

December 1087 - Speyer, Franconia

As the church bell tolled midnight, the townspeople of Speyer were long abed, but their lord and his guests showed no signs of cutting short their Christmas festivities. Only two miles from the town center, Helmut's post at Speyer Castle's front gate was usually close enough to hear the toll of the hours. Knowing how most towns had to make due with the parish priest announcing the hours of the day in the loudest voice he could muster, Helmut always delighted in hearing Speyer's bells. The noise from his lord's great hall, however, drowned out the midnight chime, so Helmut did not realize he was only three hours into his shift when the courier galloped up to the gate.

Helmut called down to the horseman, who was standing across the frozen moat. What business have you?

News from Aachen, for his lordship Duke Conrad.

With the noise from the great hall, Helmut caught only Aachen, but that was enough, especially since he recognized the regalia of the Elector of Saxony emblazoned on the horseman's cloak. He lowered the drawbridge and led the man toward the great hall.

Even in the chaotic revelry, the courier recognized Johann von Lindenhof, chief knight in the household of Conrad, Duke of Franconia. Begging your pardon, mein Herr, but I have an urgent message for his Grace the Duke. I rode from Aachen, on behalf of my lord the Elector of Saxony.

Johann turned from the gaggle of knights who were conspicuously admiring the visiting young Duchess of Bavaria and her household ladies. He wiped his beard clean, put down his mug of ale and examined the courier's message. After taking a moment to focus his eyes on the elaborate Latin script, he brought the courier forward to the dais.

A tall man who projected a sense of power, Johann drew the crowd's attention as he approached the Duke with the courier in tow. Within minutes the great hall fell silent. Johann bowed to Conrad and introduced the courier, who bowed deeply. My lord, his Grace Wilhelm the Elector of Saxony bids you a joyous Christmas and sends this message, the courier said, handing the parchment to the Duke.

Conrad continued to quaff the ale from his stein as he read. When he finished, he laughed riotously, and handed the parchment to his brother Rudolf, sitting next him. After reading it, Rudolf gleefully stood up on the table and announced, My dearest guests of the House of Franconia The Electors have most graciously awarded an excellent Christmas gift to my brother the Duke Behold, the new Emperor of the Germans

The crowd gasped as Rudolf nearly fell off the table, but he managed to land unharmed. Servant, fetch me my chamber pot, so I can crown our new Kaiser appropriately

The crowd roared with laughter, including the Duke, although Johann merely smirked. Johann shared the crowd's derision of the imperial title. The courier's parchment spoke of the sacrum Romanum imperium but the Holy Roman Empire was a fiction, as was any concept of a unified German realm. It had been centuries since the German Emperor held any measure of real power outside of his own family's lands. And Conrad's predecessor, Heinrich IV, failed miserably in a power struggle with the Pope over the right to appoint bishops. This tainted the prestige of the imperial crown, seemingly forever. The Electors had a real choice, rather than one imposed on them, for the first time in recent memory because no one actively sought the title.

As the crowd's laughter died down, Conrad mildly chastised his brother. No, Rudolf, please leave your privy in peace. We know that the honors of crowning me go to our uncle, His Holiness the Pope. Johann, you and your knights should enjoy this night's festivities but tomorrow begin preparing a traveling party to depart for Rome on New Years Day. Now, back to my ale, Conrad said, pulling his comely wife Gisela back onto his lap.

CHAPTER II - A Papal Proposal

JANUARY 1088 - ROME

Conrad did not know what to expect as he awaited his audience with his uncle. He had only seen Alberto Sabatini di Milano, now Pope Urban VI, three times in his life, all as a young boy, before the death of his mother, the Pope's elder sister.

The new Holy Roman Emperor was nearly six feet tall, 42 years old, a jovial man who'd once been quite handsome but now bore the signs of a life of combat and not a little debauchery. Like many other German duchies, Franconia saw its share of rebellions and uprisings, and Conrad had gained a reputation as a skilled commander over the years in suppressing them. As Duke he learned quickly whom to trust and developed a close-knit circle of knights and advisors, including his brother Rudolf, whose comedic personality belied cunning political instincts. In recent years, the province had seen good weather and good harvests, and the populace was generally happy.

He was known for his candor and expected as much from others. He appreciated a lively exchange of views but brooked no dissent once his decision was made. Conrad enjoyed his ducal position. His ambivalence about the imperial crown stemmed from a concern that his reputation for effectiveness would be diluted. He saw it as a thankless, empty title that brought nothing but misery to his most recent predecessors. He wondered if the Pope would simply crown him and bid him good day, or if his uncle had something else in mind.

Cardinal Francesco di Aleppi greeted Conrad and his knights in the papal antechamber with barely concealed contempt. Just you, he said to Conrad in Latin, beckoning the knights to stay behind.

The Pope's reception hall was brightly lit with the colors of the stained glass windows depicting the Stations of the Cross. Several other cardinals stood encircling the Pope, seated in a plain throne on the dais at the end of the hall. With none of the pomp of a royal coronation, this ceremony was appropriately banal for such a hollow title, Conrad thought. Prompted by Cardinal di Aleppi, Conrad approached his uncle and knelt. The 58-year-old man looked quite vigorous for his years, and Conrad noticed a still-strong resemblance to his mother.

The Pope stood, and a Cardinal handed him a crown of laurel wreath. In a booming voice, the Pope recited the Latin coronation blessing: In the name of our Holy Savior Jesus Christ, as His Vicar on Earth, I, Pope Urban the Sixth, invest thee as Holy Roman Emperor, and charge thee to defend and extend the True Faith and keep Holy those lands under thy dominion. Arise, Imperator, Conrad the Second.

The Pope placed the laurels on Conrad's head, and the Emperor stood. Suddenly the Pope embraced him, kissed him on both cheeks and drew back, smiling. Come, Conrad, let us discuss a few matters in my chambers, he said in German. They proceeded alone to a small room behind the dais.

Conrad, your mother would have been so proud to see your coronation. May God bless her soul.

Your Holiness, forgive my candor, but she would have seen this for what it is. This crown, he said, removing the laurel wreath from his head, means nothing. What is left of the glory of Rome sits in Constantinople. I am no holier, more Roman or more of an Emperor than I was yesterday.

Conrad, it may surprise you that I agree with you. It gave me no pleasure to humiliate your predecessor. He left me no choice. The Church must control appointment of bishops - on this there can be no compromise.

Conrad paused, studying his uncle's face but failing to discern any clues to his real motives.

Your Holiness, if I may continue to be candid, if this is all you wanted to discuss, we are wasting our time. There is no enthusiasm among my fellow Germans to reopen this issue. You hold all the advantages. With the clergy accountable permanently and exclusively to you, no German lord wants to risk an uprising now by defying the Church. So, congratulations. Now, if I may, I'd like to return to Franconia where my attention is needed on local matters.

Conrad, you misunderstand me. This rift helps neither of us. I have a proposal. Please, sit down.

Conrad was highly intrigued.

We both face a dilemma, the Pope continued. You hold no effective power outside Franconia; although you may not seek it, you cannot deny you would jump at the opportunity to rule all of Germany as an Emperor in fact and in name. If you are your mother's son, this must be true. Conrad smirked.

You lack the power to grant noble titles, so the nobles are not accountable to you. You therefore lack any force of arms beyond your meager private armies, and any means of collecting imperial taxes, said the Pope. You are destined to remain, in effect, little more than Duke of Franconia.

Now onto my dilemma. I know not how many more years the Lord intends to keep me here as his servant. Were I to fall dead today, I imagine the Lord might judge that I have strengthened his Church but done little to expand it, little to spread the Gospels to those who have yet to hear them.

I am quite familiar with your call to expel the infidels from the Holy Land, Conrad interrupted, but as you so insightfully pointed out, I have no armies with which to go on Crusade.

That is why you must listen to my proposal, Conrad. I will help you gain power if you promise to use it in service to the Church. I am willing to issue an edict granting you and your successors the power to appoint nobles. Obviously if they depend on you for their lands and titles, their armies will be at your disposal. You would then use these armies to extend the reach of the Roman Catholic Church.

Into the Holy Land, you mean.

The Holy Land, and wherever the light of our Lord has yet to shine There are still pagans on your doorstep along the Baltic Sea coast And although you will be too weak to do so at first, you will eventually be expected to replace the Orthodox heresy with the Roman Catholic faith in Byzantine lands. Soon, your Empire and not theirs will be recognized as the true successor to the Caesars, and as the great defender of the Church you will be a worthy heir to Karl der Grosse

Conrad paused, noting the Pope's clever German invocation of the original Holy Roman Emperor, a legendary figure all German boys grew up admiring. He kept a straight face, though. The Holy Roman Emperor is elected. Even if I achieve all this, how can I be sure my son will inherit my empire from me?

As a practical matter your heir will be strong to draw any significant opposition, the Pope said. Should there be any doubt, the full power and support of the Church will be behind your son, and all your descendants, for as long as our agreement remains in force.

And you expect the nobles to gleefully accept this arrangement?

Herein lies another service I can provide. When you return to Germany, gather your fellow nobles for a council with my servant the Archbishop of Mainz. He will report my edict about imperial appointments of nobles. After he leaves, you can placate the nobles with another part of the deal: new lands to the east. A Drang nach Osten.

The pagan lands? There are only a few that can provide any measure of riches. That won't satisfy them all.

I know. So you invade the Kingdoms of the Poles and the Hungarians.

Conrad laughed. You expect me to believe I wouldn't be excommunicated for attacking my fellow Catholics?

Well clearly I would have to admonish you publicly. But if you eliminate their regimes quickly, the matter will disappear, as ... well ... the aggrieved party would no longer exist.

The Pope paused. He could tell Conrad was still deeply skeptical.

Let me tell you another reason for my proposal. As deeply fractured as Christendom is, no Catholic king is strong enough to expand the reach of the Church. There must be an Empire for Rome capable to stand up to the Empires of Constantinople and Cairo.

Why me?

Who else? The Danes are too far away and their glory years have passed. The English and the French are too busy fighting over their disputed fiefdoms. The Spanish don't even control the whole of their peninsula. The Venetians and the Sicilians are too loath to relinquish their Byzantine trade profits. The Poles and the Hungarians are far too weak. It is only a matter of time before the Byzantines try to expand northward to swallow up the Slavic kingdoms. And finally, my blood runs in your veins. I know my sister was a strong woman, and already today, I see a lot of her in you. So this is, shall we say, a unique opportunity. And I am willing to overlook a great many of the rules of the past in order to seize it.

Conrad thought for a moment. That's all there is to it?

Well, of course I would retain the power of appointment of bishops, the Pope replied. And your progress must be satisfactory. And your fidelity must never be in doubt. I should not even have to mention that the sovereignty of Papal lands cannot be violated. I reserve the right to relinquish at any time your suzerainty over the German nobility.

Conrad stared into the Pope's eyes. After a long pause, he said, I will have to confer with my advisors in Franconia. I will send a messenger back by Candlemas with my response. If I agree to your proposal, you can send your edict back with my messenger and he will deliver it to the Archbishop of Mainz.

The Pope smiled broadly. Excellent, my son. I do hope you find my terms agreeable. It is most certainly to your advantage, and to mine, and it will please the Lord. Go in peace.

mambaman
06-02-2004, 23:30
Nice story Rufus-very engrossing-how closely are u following your game (if at all)?

Just a small point of order on the Latin-it should be Imperium Romanum Sacrum (i knew my Latin A-Level would count for something someday)

Its a good start to an exciting story tho-look fwd to next installment

Ashantiwarrior http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

The Wizard
06-03-2004, 17:26
Hmm... a question that's been nagging at me for a few days now - what's with the new members and custom avatars? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-confused.gif

Anyway, a good story, not many things to comment on, other than that the beginning, about the letter, was a bit vague, which detracted from the arch of excitement you were building.

I like the situation you've woven, keep it up

~Wiz

Rufus
06-03-2004, 17:48
Thanks, AshantiWarrior & Wiz

@AshantiWarrior - I'm not sure how closely I'll follow what's happened in the game. To be 100% true to the game, I'd have to go back and look at saved games because I didn't take good notes along the way. I'm still playing it (it's 1200). Plus it's only my second campaign, so it's on easy level, which might not lend itself to an exciting story.

Monk
06-03-2004, 19:56
Quote[/b] (The Wizard @ June 03 2004,12:26)]Hmm... a question that's been nagging at me for a few days now - what's with the new members and custom avatars? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-confused.gif
Tosa lifted the Post count restrictions on avatars, so all you need is to be a member and you can select a new avatar. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

Rufus
06-04-2004, 00:34
Here's Chapter III. Sorry if I'm taking too long with the set-up of the story. The action will definitely get underway in Chapter IV.

CHAPTER III - A Call to Arms

FEBRUARY 1088 – AACHEN, LORRAINE

Gisela von Hauer, eldest daughter of the Margrave of Brandenburg, found her husband the Emperor sitting alone in the solar. It was a gray midmorning, and a cold winter rain had just started. Yet Conrad had not arisen to close the shutters, and no fire in the hearth warmed the room. Gisela shivered, closed the shutters and called for a servant to start a fire. She saw two empty wine bottles on the table in front of the Emperor, and sighed.

“Conrad, the Archbishop will be here shortly. Then your Council will arrive. Make yourself presentable.”

Conrad slowly looked up at his wife. He smiled, but his eyes carried a distant look. She was still an attractive woman at 35, although nine childbirths had taken their toll. “Gisela, beloved. Why me? Why us? We had a wonderful life, just us and our children in Franconia. I didn’t want this.”

“I thought we were done discussing this. You agreed to it because it’s the right thing to do. Our Holy Church has no great power to protect it, no patron king who might save more souls by defeating their pagan rulers. And think of our children Young Conrad will inherit your title, but if you held no authority beyond Franconia, what awaits Ludwig and Rudolf? And Hedwig, Claudia, Jutta – what dowery could you provide for them? Not enough to catch a prince's eye, that is certain.”

Conrad said nothing, but stared at a tapestry on the wall depicting one of the legendary battles of Karl der Grosse.

“I am not worthy,” he muttered. “I am not ready …”

The servant entered with logs for the fire.

“Edvard, tell Lord von Lindenhof and my brother that I shall be ready to receive the Archbishop when he arrives. I will be in my chambers.”

Conrad arose, steadied himself by holding the table for a moment, and left the room.

Aloysius von Baden, Archbishop of Mainz, was accompanied onto the grounds of Aachen Castle by an entourage of 30 Papal knights. Ten of them marched behind him as he strode into the great hall, where the lords of Germany were assembled. Emperor Conrad II, his brother Rudolf and Johann von Lindenhof were standing on the dais. The Emperor looked like he had not slept in days, but had made an attempt to convey a regal image. He wore a long gold tunic with the Imperial insignia – a resplendent, fierce black eagle – on the back.

The Archbishop mounted the dais and, without waiting to be announced, unrolled a parchment and read from it, in Latin: “By orders of his Holiness Pope Urban VI I deliver the following message. It is hereby decreed that the Holy Roman Empire shall return to its original purpose, as established by the first Holy Roman Emperor Carolus Magnus in the year of our Lord 800, and its primary purpose for existence shall be the defense and expansion of Christendom to the glory of the Lord. To this end, his Holiness the Pope hereby grants to the Holy Roman Emperor full suzerainty over all members of the nobility of the Empire, with rights to appoint and remove any and all nobles as he sees fit. All nobles shall grant to the Emperor full use of any armed men under their command and such taxes as the Emperor may decree. Any noble defying these orders shall be excommunicated. To assist in the mission of the Empire, his Holiness has donated 10,000 florins to the Imperial treasury and 500 florins to each of the nobles assembled here today.”

Four Papal knights then entered the great hall carrying enormous chests. They placed the chests on the floor, and opened them, revealing thousands of glistening gold coins and jewels. None of the nobles looked impressed. Most fumed with silent rage.

The Archbishop then quickly walked out of the main hall, and his entourage left the castle.

The hall was silent for a minute after the Archbishop left. Then, cursing and shouting voices filled the cavernous room as if a door to Hell itself had been suddenly flung open. The Emperor sat in his throne and held his head in his hands.

The stentorian protests of Wilhelm de Welk, the Elector of Saxony, soon subsumed all others, as if they’d instantly selected him their spokesman.

“This shall not stand, Conrad, mark my words,” de Welk roared. “This nepotism, this rank corruption If we’d known you were going to use your uncle to seize power, we never would’ve elected you”

Conrad had had enough. “I did not seek this” he yelled, then cringed with the throbbing pain in his head. “I swear on my honor I did not. Yes, the Pope is my uncle. My coronation was the first time I’d seen him since I was a young boy, and my mother is long dead, so stop complaining about nepotism. And no matter my relation to the Pope, I defy any of you to oppose him now. He appoints the bishops, and they appoint the priests. Rise up against the Pope, and within one Sunday your parish priests will have whipped up your peasantry into a frenzy. The French, the Danes, the Poles – they would absolutely love to stir up that pot”

Conrad paused. The nobles still looked angry but had stopped yelling.

“Regardless of what you might think about the Pope, he speaks true on this During my return journey, as we passed through Tuscany, I remembered our first Kaiser, Karl der Grosse, and how he answered the Pope’s call by repelling the Lombard invaders. If not for that victory, and his many others, our Church could well have collapsed. We have failed to uphold his legacy. We have let his Empire wither to nothing. And now the heretic Orthodox Empire of the Byzantines is stronger than ever – looking this way, have no doubt - and the Holy Lands remain in heathen hands. We must answer the Church’s call We must restore the honor of our Empire”

The great hall echoed with Conrad’s voice. The silence that followed was broken by the sardonic applause of Gunther von Braun, Duke of Bavaria. “Stirring speech, mein Herr,” he said derisively. “Old Karl himself would be proud. So, did you expect us to jump with glee, hoist you on our shoulders and carry you out to smite the infidel post haste?” The quiet laughter of the nobles angered Johann but did not faze the Emperor.

“No, my lord of Bavaria, of course not,” Conrad said. “But Gunther, as I recall, you have five sons, yet only one title. When you draw your last, do you expect the four younger ones to jump with glee, hoist their brother on their shoulders and carry him to Munich’s great hall to help him count tax collections post haste?” Von Braun’s face turned red as his fellow nobles now laughed at his expense.

“The Pope has made clear that we have the right to acquire new lands whose revenues we need to fulfill the mission of the Church,” Conrad continued. “These new lands will require new German dukes and counts – not only to ensure their proper management, but also to spread our faith and promote the glory of our people. Your younger sons will have the promise of titles of their own – should they earn them – and your daughters will have much bigger doweries and much better marriage prospects.”

Some of the nobles began to murmur in agreement.

I have one other proposal that I hope will convince you of my good faith. This is not about me; this about our German realm, and our Church. To prove this, I am willing to wager my imperial crown on the success of this plan. I pledge to abdicate as Emperor if I fail to extend our Empire across the Baltic Sea to Lithuania within 12 years. My brother Rudolf has drafted a document affirming this, and I would ask all of you to sign as witnesses.

Many of the nobles' eyes widened. The lands ringing the Baltic were rich with trading goods, and the prospects for lucrative business were promising.

The Duke of Bavaria was unconvinced. Why not just make Doomsday your deadline? he scoffed. Some of us might be dead within 12 years

Or sooner growled Johann von Lindenhof, no longer able to restrain his frustration over the Bavarian's blatant disrespect.

Marcus von Hauer, Margrave of Brandenburg and the Emperor's father-in-law, spoke up. Conrad is right to allow a great deal of time to prepare. My lands are raided continuously by the heathens from Pomerania. We underestimate them at our peril.

Conrad nodded thankfully toward his father-in-law. “My lord of Brandenburg speaks true. We are not ready. Even if we banded together all of our knights, all of our militia, all of our archers, we could have some success but we’d leave ourselves defenseless against the French or the Danes, should they acquire any delusions of grandeur. We are unlikely to be ready for several years. Farms must be built where forests stand today. We must build docks on the seas to expand our trade. We must train hundreds more peasants to be soldiers. That is how we will use the Pope’s gift,” Conrad said, pointing at the chests. “I have appointed my brother Rudolf as Imperial Chamberlain. He will work with each of you to apportion the funds, and your local deacons will act as inspectors to ensure proper use of the money. I will also be touring your provinces periodically to observe the progress. Are there any questions?”

The nobles were silent. None looked happy, but many had expressions of firm determination, with their gaze fixed on their Emperor. Some had a look of resignation. All saw Conrad differently than they did when they arrived.

“Then so be it. God speed to you all. You may expect another Council meeting after Lent.”

As the nobles filtered toward Rudolf to sign the parchment, Conrad noticed Gisela standing at the back. He smiled and approached her.

“Feeling better, I see?” Gisela said teasingly.

“My head is still pounding but … somehow it invigorates me to stand up to them.”

“You would’ve been better off without the wine.”

Conrad grimaced and hastened to change the subject. “How long have you been standing there, darling?”

“Long enough,” Gisela said, as a sweet smile enveloped her face. “Long enough to see my husband become an Emperor.”

The Wizard
06-04-2004, 10:19
One thing struck me as strange - the Pope having power to grant the emperor the right to give titles? I would think that, in such a state as the Holy Roman Empire, an emperor would have to make his voice heard with sword and shield

~Wiz

Rufus
06-04-2004, 16:38
Wiz - Good point. I'm taking some historical license, but not too much, I don't think. I'm certainly not an expert on the HRE in real life but read a bit about it before starting. See below from an online encyclopedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roman_Empire

Already at this time [early 11th century] the dualism between the territories, then those of the old tribes rooted in the Frankish lands, and the king/emperor, became apparent. Each king preferred to spend most time in his own homelands; the Saxons, for example, spent much time in palatinates around the Harz mountains, among them Goslar. This practice had only changed under Otto III (king 983, emperor 996–1002), who began to utilize bishopries all over the Empire as temporary seats of government. Also, his successors, Henry II, Conrad II, and Henry III, apparently managed to appoint the dukes of the territories. It is thus no coincidence that at this time, the terminology changes and the first occurrences of a regnum Teutonicum are found.

The glory of the Empire almost collapsed in the Investiture Controversy, in which Pope Gregory VII declared a ban on King Henry IV (king 1056, emperor 1084–1106). Although this was taken back after the 1077 Walk to Canossa, the ban had wide-reaching consequences. Meanwhile, the German dukes had elected a second king, Rudolf of Swabia, whom Henry IV could only defeat after a three-year war in 1080. The mythical roots of the Empire were permanently damaged; the German king was humiliated. Most importantly though, the church became an independent player in the political system of the Empire.

So it was apparently around the time of my story that the Emperor acquired the power to appoint dukes (but, admittedly, it doesn't seem to have been granted to him by the Pope). Then soon afterward, historically, the Investiture Controversy took place and the political scales tilted toward the Pope rather than the Emperor. The political situation I'm setting up in the story is, I think, rooted in this real-life historical context from the 11th Century: The Emperor was becoming more powerful than the nobles, but the Pope had a political advantage (by the late 11th Century) over the Emperor.

It's a bit of a leap in my story to give the Pope the authority to give the Emperor the power to appoint nobles. I figure the Pope can say whatever he wants; it's up to the political players to decide whether it's in their interest to follow it or not. In real life, the Investiture Controversy seemed to boost the political power of the Pope at the Emperor's expense, yet the Emperor(s) continued to resist the Pope's influence for several decades until a settlement was reached. In my story, instead of continued friction, the Emperor and Pope strike a deal (facilitated by kinship), and the nobles have to decide whether to go along. Keep in mind - I haven't said yet whether any nobles decide to resist this plan

That reminds me - I forgot an element in Chapter III about a promise the Emperor makes to the nobles. I'll edit it in....

Thanks for reading- good question

mambaman
06-05-2004, 03:07
its all good Rufus-keep it up

mambaman
06-23-2004, 01:43
[I]so when's the next post fella? am really getting into your story

Rufus
06-23-2004, 21:42
Sorry - I got busier at work And when I get home, if I have free time and the choice between writing and playing MTW, I pick the latter Selfish of me, I know ... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I'll try to post more soon. The HRE campaign the story is based on is dragging on and on. It's been fun but after almost two months, I really just want to finish this campaign because I'm tired of it now and want to try a new one. Yet I would hate to just arbitrarily declare victory and stop without finishing. I'm also questioning how good of a story it will make. It's on Easy, so although it's taken me a long time, my campaign has proceeded pretty smoothly (although there have been a few tactical setbacks - not many). A fairly unimpeded sweep across Europe would make for a boring story - maybe I can embellish it.

I want to try England in the high era next. I almost want to pull the plug on this story and just write about the next one since I know a lot more about medieval England than medieval Germany (although that's not saying much). But I don't want to step on your toes, AshantiWarrior, with your great English story so hopefully I can motivate myself to finish the German one before delving into England

Thanks

mambaman
06-24-2004, 00:12
i get ya fella-you do what u feel is best-if you start a story of England in the High Period i will most certainly be avidly reading i can tell ya http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

And i know what u mean about the choice between playing and writing-usually playing wins for me too (but i have England from early period set on expert-which is keeping me on my toes http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-confused.gif

Anyways whatever you decide dude-i'm right with you-love your story style

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif