PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Computer Need Some Advice

Dhepee
06-02-2004, 19:08
Okay, I'm starting law school full time, finally, and I am required to buy a laptop. This is fine by me, as my desktop is getting rather old.

Here are the specs on the Dell Latitude D600, which the school is offering at a deep discount.

1.8Ghz Pentium M745 Processor
512 Mb DDR SDRAM, 1 DIMM (I am going to upgrade to 1 gig of memory cause it's really cheap)
1400X1500 14.1 SXGA TFT LCD Color Monitor
32MB 64-bit ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 video card
40GB Hard Drive

My only concern is that I am going to use this with a port replicator as a desktop replacement so I want to be able to run games on it. The only hitch is that if in a couple years my video card, which I can do nothing about, can't handle newer game graphics. Do you think it is going to last me or am I going to be
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-computer.gif with my strategy games in a few years.

It also comes with a big software bundle, wireless networking and 3 years of free maintenance with a loaner while it is in the shop.

lancelot
06-02-2004, 19:27
nearly every game comes with a 'we havent tested this game on a laptop' bit in the manual.

If you are using laptop for word documents or whatever perhaps a cheap laptop and spend on another desktop is the way.

I have never used a TW game on a lap but my old lap never used to play star wars supremacy properly.

Some games have problems with the screen size and such things also.

I would advise caution and dont be suprised if a lap doesnt run MTW properly let alone RTW. But then I could be talking out of my arse http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Somebody Else
06-02-2004, 19:44
My laptop's got a 64Mb card in it. It can handle most things, but new games coming out just make it choke and die. I'm thinking of upgrading... maybe a fancy Alienware or something...

BDC
06-02-2004, 20:07
That will cut it with MTW, maybe Far Cry on minimum settings, but nothing newer. Only has 8.1 pixel shaders...

But on older stuff it will be fine.

Dhepee
06-02-2004, 20:11
Here's a follow up question: I don't care that much about how a game looks as long as I can get it to run, so will it work for that?

BDC
06-03-2004, 16:07
Yeah probably.

It is 64-bit though, so it won't run well. No fps lol, but slower games would be ok.

Big King Sanctaphrax
06-03-2004, 16:31
Just a thought-do you want me to move this to the apothecary, Dhepee? If so, just ask.

Sjakihata
06-03-2004, 16:42
Well, the processor and gfx is not the best, nor is the RAM.

I think you should buy a cheap lap for school/work thing and buy a monster for RTW http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

71-hour Ahmed
06-03-2004, 18:56
I have something of similar spec on my laptop and it runs all my games fine, but won't cope with new ones - i.e. as in todays games. A 32 mb card is too small and the cards lack features compared to desktop ones. I.e. Thief 3 won't run on this system. (edit) - games that are 1 or more yrs old will look pretty ok though if thats any help (Jedi Academy, MTW, KOTOR).

Cebei
06-03-2004, 19:08
When are they going to give us exact minimum and recommended system requirements for RTW?

BlackWatch McKenna
06-03-2004, 19:39
Are you going to LAW SCHOOL or entering the Computer Games Olympics.

All you need is a word processor. Instead of spending the money on a Gamerz HaxXor Komputer, buy your Bar Review Books and start taking your practice exams.

A Plasma Screen won't keep you from flunking out - but taking practice Multi-States might.

//BW

Dhepee
06-03-2004, 20:28
Nice, yes I enrolled in Barbri law school prep course. I am finally fulltime after a lot of handwringing and two years in the paralegal trenches.

It's a moot point now since I just put the deposit on the computer. I decided to tinker with my desktop to keep it going for a couple of more years because if I don't have my games I might go nuts.

BTW...Blackwatch McKenna are you a lawyer?

nightcrawlerblue
06-03-2004, 21:21
Quote[/b] (Sjakihata @ June 03 2004,10:42)]Well, the processor and gfx is not the best, nor is the RAM.

I think you should buy a cheap lap for school/work thing and buy a monster for RTW http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
How the heck can you tell wether the RAM is good? All he says is that it's DDR...

If you want to play games on it? No that isn't a good computer (as far as desktops go anyway. I'm no expert on laptops). I'd reccommend a system for you but Dell doesn't use Athlon processors (and they only give a small selection of other stuff too).

I don't really like Dell which is kinda weird considering I have a Dell PC (It's my dad's old one).