PDA

View Full Version : any good shooter em ups out there

scooter_the_shooter
06-09-2004, 12:11
i want a semi acurate game as long as the guns got real names instead of machine gun, pistol, shotgun, i am happy also i want to be an american with a team. third person view. somthing new and can it be for Ps2 and can the AI be somthing to be reckoned with.

this would be the perfect game http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

scooter_the_shooter
06-09-2004, 12:12
thanks to any one who post all the shooters i get now get boring afte a week or 2 http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

nightcrawlerblue
06-09-2004, 17:27
You seem to want the perfect FPS... Sorry can't help you.

Freedom Fighters is a good 3rd person FPS but it doesn't have weapon names.

scooter_the_shooter
06-09-2004, 18:31
oh well i will get it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif gotta love the cheers smiley

Leet Eriksson
06-09-2004, 19:04
PS2?with Americans?and real weapon names?

Look no further,Socom II is the game you want.Well its the best online shooter right now.

EDIT:Best shooter for PS2.

econ21
06-09-2004, 19:50
I am not into shooters (I suck) but I had a lot of single-player fun with Vietcong. I believe it has multiplayer, probably PC only though.

You can be American, obviously, and the authentic weapons seem to be well modelled. None seem that uber (although the drum-fed Vietnamese LMG is pretty awesome). For example, the sniper rifle gives you only very limited view and so is pretty useless except for sniping. The M16 and AK47 are nice, but eat up ammo very quickly and are not that accurate. Pistols lack stopping power etc. Shotguns are surprisingly effective at range and there is a nice old fashioned bolt action rifle that is good for some missions.

The AI seems pretty good. It uses cover, uses grenades where appropriate and can shoot well, but not ridiculously well. You can vary the difficulty to get close to one shot one kill, but I prefer it to be more forgiving. One of the best things about the game is that right clicking allows you to shoot from cover - very nice way of using trees, logs etc to your advantage.

All in all, it's highly recommended. [The single player campaign is pretty immersive too, with a great variety of missions.]

[edit: Can't recall if it is third person view, probably first person - but I don't understand how a third person shooter would work.]

Leet Eriksson
06-09-2004, 20:37
Socom II is third person,works pretty well since most players use controllers.

Fragony
06-10-2004, 07:14
Isn't raven shield comming to the ps2? It is first person but pretty realistic and challenging, and a lot of cool guns. The r6 games have *ok* single player modes, but the multiplayer is brutal

ps any raven shield players on the org? (read as 'anyone wants to mercilessly have his but kicked')

scooter_the_shooter
06-10-2004, 14:57
i have socom one it is pretty cool but i am stuck on like the 4th level lol thanks for your opinions all of em sound good http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif have a drink on me http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/barrel.gif

Cazbol
06-14-2004, 13:47
Quote[/b] (Simon Appleton @ June 09 2004,13:50)]I am not into shooters (I suck) but I had a lot of single-player fun with Vietcong. I believe it has multiplayer, probably PC only though.

You can be American, obviously, and the authentic weapons seem to be well modelled. None seem that uber (although the drum-fed Vietnamese LMG is pretty awesome). For example, the sniper rifle gives you only very limited view and so is pretty useless except for sniping. The M16 and AK47 are nice, but eat up ammo very quickly and are not that accurate. Pistols lack stopping power etc. Shotguns are surprisingly effective at range and there is a nice old fashioned bolt action rifle that is good for some missions.

The AI seems pretty good. It uses cover, uses grenades where appropriate and can shoot well, but not ridiculously well. You can vary the difficulty to get close to one shot one kill, but I prefer it to be more forgiving. One of the best things about the game is that right clicking allows you to shoot from cover - very nice way of using trees, logs etc to your advantage.

All in all, it's highly recommended. [The single player campaign is pretty immersive too, with a great variety of missions.]
Simon, I played the demo of Viet Cong which impressed me, but didn't show me enough of the game to convince me that it doesn't come with the faults of most other FPSs that I know. Could you therefore clarify a few thing for me?

1. The rat in the maze syndrome: Most shooters like Half-Life and Medal of Honor lead you through a narrow tunnel from the start of the mission to the end and you feel like a rat in the game designers maze with little or no option of being creative with things like outflanking and surprising the enemy. The demo for Viet Cong did not seem to be like that but it's hard to judge from just one mission. What is your experience?

2. Scripting hell: All FPSs are going to be scripted but one seldom sees it done properly. Medal of Honor usually does this extremely poorly. The mission Snipers' last stand has got to be the worst mission in any serious shooter, ever. Enemies are scripted to pop up behind your back from places you are not allowed to enter. As a result it's an excercise in repetition, each time with the new knowledge that when you step on this spot some silly sod will jump out of this closet behind you. Does Viet Cong feel heavily scripted, or do you feel like the enemies were there the whole time?

3. Boxjumping: It seems to be a requirement for every FPS to have some silly challenges like jumping from crate to crate to reach the exit of the level, or rearranging some pegs to open the magic gate. It Viet Cong free of this?

Sjakihata
06-14-2004, 14:00
Quote[/b] (Fragony @ June 10 2004,08:14)]any r6 players on the org?
played all rainbow six game so far and all expansions

econ21
06-15-2004, 00:55
Cazbol, on your queries about Vietcong:

- I found it reasonably non-linear: not as open and tactical as Ghost Recon, where you maneouvre three squads around to meet objectives. In Vietcong, you are at most part of a single squad who generally follows your character around. Yes, there is a typical path through a mission and you will usually want to take the same route, but you do often use flanking and surprise during combat. Plus the world can be pretty big, so the cage is not so obvious. For example, there is a very large tunnel city level - you are almost literally like a rat in a maze, but the maze is so large and you have complete freedom to roam so you don't feel hemmed in.

- I did not find Vietcong heavily scripted. Yes there are sequences that, if you save and reload, recurr. I had a horrible time disarming a booby trap once and kept reloading - it got to the point where I would know exactly when a monkey would screech (this was early days - before I had figured out how to disarm booby traps or even to quick save). But I can't recall any unfair situations where the AI would get a drop on you. I've read that the AI moves around and also responses to what you do, which matches my experience.

- There's no box jumping. There were also not that many timed missions which I found so frustrating in Ghost Recon. There was one mission where you have to drive a jeep under timed conditions - I kept overturning the jeep and flunking the mission, but actually enjoyed the challenge.

Beyond that, I really liked the game from a wargame/RPG perspective. The combat felt real but with the right dificulty level was sufficiently forgiving to be do-able for me (one shot one kill, as in Ghost Recon, just becomes an exercise in reloading or restarting which breaks the immersion). And the variety of missions - jungle patrol, tunnel rat, trench warfare, base defence, river patrol, hostage rescue etc - made it very entertaining. To be honest, I hardly ever finish any games (including MTW), so the fact that I happily went through Vietcong is a testament to how good it was IMO.

scooter_the_shooter
06-15-2004, 02:38
re what about americas army for pc i have heard good things

nightcrawlerblue
06-15-2004, 03:08
It's fun but you'll be called quite a few names that I can't mention on these forums. TKing is quite easy to do. Fortunately the votekicking system stinks (I got kicked for TKing last night even though it was an accident. I was back on that sever in under 10 seconds).

FesterShinetop
06-15-2004, 10:18
Quote[/b] (ceasar010 @ June 15 2004,02:38)]re what about americas army for pc i have heard good things
Well... looking at your original request, it's not semi-accurate, no third person view (at least not during play), not for ps2 and no AI http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

But it is free so give it a try, but remember to really enjoy it you should invest some time in it I think there are 2 other posts about AA in here as well so be sure to check those

scooter_the_shooter
06-15-2004, 13:10
Quote[/b] (nightcrawlerblue @ June 14 2004,21:08)]It's fun but you'll be called quite a few names that I can't mention on these forums. TKing is quite easy to do. Fortunately the votekicking system stinks (I got kicked for TKing last night even though it was an accident. I was back on that sever in under 10 seconds).
what they hate newbies i dont care will just call them some stuff back

pm me tell me what they will say

scooter_the_shooter
06-17-2004, 00:05
come on someone pm so i know what to be prepared for are they gonna flame me til i leave

FesterShinetop
06-17-2004, 22:05
Well, it's very dependant on the server and the people you are playing with obviously... I haven't seen name calling in excess though... I guess it's no worse compared to any other game out there.
As for TK'ing.. you do get kicked automatically if you get a certain amount of negative points, so maybe that is what happened?
There's a lot of idiots out there doing their best to ruin the fun other people are having playing online and some of those are playing AA... but fortunately there are a lot more people just having fun http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sjakihata
06-17-2004, 22:11
if you get it be sure to join this server:

nightcrawlerblue
06-18-2004, 02:48
See my latest post in the AA topic and you'll see one small example of the idiot population in AA...