PDA

View Full Version : Regional troop mod

Obex
06-10-2004, 09:32
Ive had an interesting idea, but im not sure if it is an original one. if this idea has already been toyed with, then just ignore this post; you are simply having a bad dream.

Playing MTW the other day, i began to wonder about why i was training longbowmen in palestine, and why my english citizens there of arabic decent refused to share their experience with camels and desert warfare. I then began to develop an idea for regional based troops, rather than faction based. (Understand that im not too worried about historical accuracy with this.) With this setup, any faction in control of switzerland, for example, could recruit swiss pikemen. Likewise, any faction holding northern africa could train mamaluk cavalry, or any other standard egyptian unit.

Last night i hammered out the necessary changes, and i am now going about play testing a campaign and working out bugs along the way. If there is any interest, i will polish this up and make it available for mass consumption when im done.

Myrddraal
06-10-2004, 13:11
Just an idea, but something that would be good in the context of this mod would be if you had to have owned those provinces for a while before the population liked u enough to join ur army.

I thought of a method of doing this. U can make buildings religion/culture specific right? So if u make different versions of the buildings necessary to build certain units, but for different religions, this would mean say, the byzantines, when they attack the turks, would not be able to build any special units, because all the neccessary buidings would be looted. Then you would build up ur own cultures version of the buildings. This would take time, to represent the time it would take to actually integrate other cultures into ur army.

If what i said doesn't make sense, ignore it http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

roysparky
06-18-2004, 18:41
Sounds very cool obex. Do you need any help with the mod?
Also it sounds a lot more accurate to do by regions then by buildings as most armies in those days were genrally raised from the population and not trained at certain buildings.

Obex
06-19-2004, 01:19
im still working out some of the kinks. One of the bugs im not sure how to resolve deals with a muslim faction building a church. i havnt gotten the info pic to display properly. catholic factions building mosques work just fine.

this brings us to another balance issue. all factions need access to all religious buildings, so that they can build some of the specialty troops, but abuse of this leads to easy morale boosts. i dont think that there is a way to restrict building by province, is there? hmm... things to think about.

besides some of these issues, i rather liked the campaign that i recently played. it was neat to be able to field units from the various factions.

Myrddraal
06-20-2004, 12:35
Quote[/b] (Obex @ June 19 2004,01:19)]this brings us to another balance issue. all factions need access to all religious buildings, so that they can build some of the specialty troops, but abuse of this leads to easy morale boosts. i dont think that there is a way to restrict building by province, is there? hmm... things to think about.
You could always edit some of the resources, have one resource in all the muslim lands, and another in all the christian lands, and make churches and mosques dependent on having that resource.

Turbo
06-29-2004, 00:39
These are all good suggestions for a human player, but can you imagine how the AI is going to competently handle all this?

MiniKiller
06-29-2004, 01:35
Sounds good here is an interesting idea I have for you, dunno however if it can be implied in the game.

Allright I think that if the any faction begins building troops that they couldnt before (and can now simply becasue they took over a province that can make em) they should be weaker than normal. English Camel Warriors wouldnt be as powerful as those the Turkish trained so it should refelct that. Any troop a faction makes that is not originally theres should get some sort of penelty.

Good idea? bad? lol

dessa14
06-30-2004, 02:32
what about just giving the original factions an advantage in the unitprod files.
thanks, dessa

Obex
06-30-2004, 18:41
I was giving the production bonus only to troops originally unique to the faction, like longbowmen for england, in addition to the normal faction reductions.