PDA

View Full Version : The men of the Tsar

SwordsMaster
06-16-2004, 02:42
*Well, here is the napoleonic story I promised some time ago. As noone voted for one or other nation, It is a russian story.

Please feel free to post comments and/or suggestions.

The Tsar Alexander III crossed the room, his arms behind his back and his sword swinging on his hip.

Duelled You say? And what was the result -he addressed the only other man in the room.

Le vicomte is wounded, but he will recover your highness - The man answered quickly, still looking at the Tsar.

And how is the duke?
He is perfectly fine, sir - le vicomte never fired his weapon.

Well, you can go knyaz. And send me Schukin- Alexander walked back to is table and served himself a glass of Madeira.

The knyaz bowed and left the room without another word.

Three weeks later I was about to meet the Tsar unofficially. My wound was already cured, and I only needed to keep some rest for another few days to be completely recovered. Those were the words of the German doctor. So I walked into the hall where some of the Tsar´s closest men were sitting. The admiral von Schulze was talking to one of the groups about the new 56 gun frigates that were being built in the Baltic according to the project presented by Iosif Veine, the Dutch engineer also present in the group, and one of the few civilians in the room.

Vladimir Zavidov, captain of the hussar regiment that was being recruited around Peterbourg and one of my friends approached and expressed his joy in seeing me healthy and recovered, and then in a low voice told me that my father had a few interviews with the Tsar during the last few days.

I looked discretely around to see if my rival was there. He was not fortunately, and the conversation flew with more ease. We approached a group of military dressed all in the shiny uniforms of their respective bodies of the army. The conversation stopped and they all saluted me as a comrade despite the fact that I had met very few of them before that evening. The impression I got was that they knew something that I ignored, and that made me listen carefully their conversation.

They were talking about Finland. I only had the chance to hear a few sentences before I was called to my audience, but it was enough as to make me think about a possible war against Sweden. I hoped my conversation would help me understand a little more what happened during my illness.

Alexander was sitting by the fireplace in front of a table loaded with maps, papers and a Spanish cigar that was consuming in a Turkish plate.

Leave us please, Sidor - he ordered, but then changed his mind.- Sidor, please invite captain Zavidov
He was with you that night wasn´t he? - He asked me.

Yes, your highness, he was. - I answered, not very pleased with this turn of events.
Sidor, you heard me. - the Tsar addressed his aide. I stood by the side of his armchair, staring at the flames.

I am glad you recovered so fast vicomte
Thank you your highness

Le segneur captain Zavidov, sir - the baron Sidor Miloslavskiy let Vladimir in, and closed the door.

Bonsoir captain - the Tsar greeted Vladimir and then offered us a seat and a cigar.

Now, captain I would like you to tell me about the night when the vicomte got his wound.

Your highness, if you wanted to know the story, I could have told you- I was offended, did he think I could lie?

Oh, mon chere ami, I just want you to see your adventure as a lesson, and believe that can be achieved better if monsieur Zavidov tells the story, so you can see the facts from a perspective.

I bowed to the monarch, but my irritation grew, of course I couldn´t duel the Tsar, and couldn´t even argue with him, so I kept my mouth closed.

Vladimir was looking at me and Alexander alternatively, trying to make a fluid story from what happened.

Didn´t you hear me captain? You can start, I´m listening. *