PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft 3

Sir Chauncy
06-16-2004, 14:42
Hello again world, long time no see, I just need to get this off my chest.

After a few months of absence, I have gone back to playing Warcraft 3 again. My buddy had bought a copy of C&C generals with the expansion and we had some fun with that, but I prefer the fantasy or swords and sorcery type stuff. Now the problem is that after getting hammered online a bit like we all do, I thought:

this is not right, go and get some practice

So I did.

Against the computer.

On easy.

And got violated, against an opponent that had the tactical planning of a goatfish, rarely ever actacked me and ran out of gold before I have even pointed at the Sun and thought it was cool. I really need help people, I suck worse than a quadraplegic long jumper.

Any one out there that takes pity and wants to either give me some tips or even play against me just to take to school I would appreciate it.

I play as Humans by the way.

To make matters even worse, I used to be very good I could beat the computer on hard on most maps and hold my own against two hard computer opponents, I even had an even record on Battle.net. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.
Thanks in advance.

King Edward
06-16-2004, 14:51
Warcraft 3 is a fairly easy game in single player as i find that you can just send rushes into you opponents and they rarely rebuild waht you destory so it a bit of a battle of attrition, as well as being able to respawn your hero's. always take a load of grunts to just fight whatever they are near, a hero or two to take out their more powerful units and 3 or 4 seige engins to flatten the buildings.

even if your first couple of attacks fail you can quickly rebuild your forces.

Always go for a soft target near a secon gold mine and secure that.

I have never played online before so cant really help with that.

The good thing about this game is that the majority of the time you can actually get your hero units in the thick of things without worrieing about them getting killed so make sure you take advantage of this. Also their hero abilities are very useful esp if they can summon units to help or heal friendlies.

Hope that is of some help

Navaros
06-16-2004, 17:01
Quote[/b] (Sir Chauncy @ June 16 2004,08:42)]Hello again world, long time no see, I just need to get this off my chest.

After a few months of absence, I have gone back to playing Warcraft 3 again. My buddy had bought a copy of C&C generals with the expansion and we had some fun with that, but I prefer the fantasy or swords and sorcery type stuff. Now the problem is that after getting hammered online a bit like we all do, I thought:

So I did.

Against the computer.

On easy.

And got violated, against an opponent that had the tactical planning of a goatfish, rarely ever actacked me and ran out of gold before I have even pointed at the Sun and thought it was cool. I really need help people, I suck worse than a quadraplegic long jumper.

Any one out there that takes pity and wants to either give me some tips or even play against me just to take to school I would appreciate it.

To make matters even worse, I used to be very good I could beat the computer on hard on most maps and hold my own against two hard computer opponents, I even had an even record on Battle.net. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.
Thanks in advance.
the thing with WarCraft 3 is - it becomes an entirely NEW GAME in terms of balance with every new Patch Blizzard releases

so if you used to be good and now you suck, it's probably because you are THINKING that your old units have the same stats that you remember - when in reality the stats of your fave units probably got nerfed A LOT and hence that's why you now can't Win with them. of course, this is not readily apparent to you from just playing the game itself. you really need to be made aware of the changes directly in order to understand what's going on.

you can't really be a good War3 player UNLESS you pay attention to EVERY balance change listed in all the Patch READMEs

The Wizard
06-16-2004, 17:16
Quote[/b] (Sir Chauncy @ June 16 2004,14:42)]Hello again world, long time no see, I just need to get this off my chest.

So I did.

Against the computer.

On easy.

Thanks in advance.
Well, RoC saw me reaching lvl 19 and this time 'round I managed 16, so you might try a game with me.

Mind you, I haven't played in quite a while, so much so that my account's been deleted. I'll PM you, or you'll PM me ...?

'Cause really, the subtleties of micro/macro in War3 is too complex to explain from a situation that's been sketched on a forum... I usually help 'newbs' by playing a game or two and then assessing their skill and giving advice accordingly.

Do you play vanilla or the expansion, TFT?

~Wiz

soibean
06-21-2004, 06:40
I really enjoyed war craft 3, but the problem with it as weel as many other games like it was that you could easily win the game by massing a single unit and just sending wave of wave of that unit against your enemy.

Example: Orcs, make 10 shamens and the rest troll headhunters, set to Bloodlust and send them to attack some random spot on the mini map, nothing can stand up to 2 or more waves of that.

they also greatly reduced the power of towers in warcraft 3 when I played it, unless a new patch fixed that.

Like it was stated above, get a second gold mine ASAP unless you're playing on a map where you mine is basically at infinite gold, upgrade your hero quickly by fighting creeps, make sure you have enough units (units not towers which are greatly tweeked to be weak) at your base to hold off an attack until you can fight it off

besides that I would have to see how you play to give you more advice but I hope that helps a bit

The Wizard
06-21-2004, 22:08
Well, since patch 1.07 of vanilla War3, mass casters is totally out of the question.

Especially since 1.10, mixed armies are much more effective than massing a single unit. Even the slightly overpowered destroyers of the undead need support on the ground to overcome some units.

I remember 1.05... patch that was around for many months, and anyone that tried to add some flavour to the game was owned by mass casters. Sad. :\

~Wiz

soibean
06-22-2004, 05:14
like I said I really havent played the game since it first came out so any new changes wouldnt be known to me
Im glad they tried to fix that problem... it was one of the reasons I stopped playing the game