PDA

View Full Version : New US Army Uniform

spmetla
06-17-2004, 09:19
Erasing the past...

Somebody Else
06-17-2004, 09:25
Anyone else think that looks hideous? What happened to good old red coats and white leggings?

Maybe it's just the collar I don't like, and the velcro tabs.

BDC
06-17-2004, 09:37
Looks like something off a second-rate sci-fi programme...

Bit camp too. I mean you can hardly imagine someone looking manly and scary in it can you?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-inquisitive.gif

rasoforos
06-17-2004, 11:19
This looks like something out of the b-movie style westwood game cinematics http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

TonkaToys
06-17-2004, 13:41
Looks like a cold-war eastern bloc uniform to me. Or as BDC said
Quote[/b] ]something off a second-rate sci-fi programme... surely that is what they wore in the Stargate TV series?

Spino
06-17-2004, 15:08
Wow, that is a really ugly uniform.

I agree with BDC (shocking, isn't it?). That uniform looks like it was taken from a Dr. Who episode.

makkyo
06-17-2004, 17:17
But then again its wrinkle free... and hopefully stain free as well, THEN I'd go for it.

RisingSun
06-17-2004, 17:26
It does look like it's from a low-budget sci-fi movie...

makkyo
06-17-2004, 17:28
too true

rasoforos
06-17-2004, 17:34
Al Qaeda immediately replied by releasing a photo of their new uniform http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif
http://www.sgccheyenne4.fsnet.co.uk/wall/apophis_nox.jpg

makkyo
06-17-2004, 17:37
ROTFL http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

scooter_the_shooter
06-17-2004, 17:37
i like it they are getting a new gun to

check it out

http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/xm8.html

Duke Malcolm
06-17-2004, 19:22
I heard that the British Army were also to be getting new guns sometime in the not-to-distant future

Cebei
06-17-2004, 19:36
It looks like an east european-exCommunist nation's military uniform. Nothing cool about it.

mercian billman
06-17-2004, 20:00
Velcro seems like a bad idea, what happens if your on patrol you brush up on something, and your velcro screeches. Velcro isn't very stealthy to say the least.

The uniform looks a lot like the new
MARPAT (http://www.imsplus.com/ims7n.html)without black.

spmetla
06-18-2004, 05:15
Erasing the past...

octavian
06-18-2004, 05:26
Quote[/b] (spmetla @ June 18 2004,00:15)]I myself am against the velcro, when I end up getting them I think I'll stick to sewing patches on.

Another thing that makes me worry is that it looks as if it's going to be rather tight, I prefer looser BDUs so that more air goes between the jacket and myself to keep me cooler.

The collar looks as if it might be uncomfortable or at least it might cause chaffing on the neck when in the prone so I hope that my commander will allow us to wear it down.

The brown boots will be interesting, I wonder what type of brown and if the boots will still be leather because if you don't polish leather boots then they lose their water resistance and you get wet feet.

I hope they release a pic with the patrol cap, I personally hate the berets (ONLY RANGERS SHOULD HAVE BLACK BERETS) and am worried that they screwed up my favorite headgear.

It probably looks better with the woodland or desert camo, it is a good thing that they have actual urban combat uniforms now.

As for the XM8, I just don't like it. It looks to venerable and plastic and anything without good iron sights is crap to me. I'd rather we adopt a G36 instead of remaking a G36 to look futuristic.
wow, everything (apart from hopeing my commander liets me wear the collar down) i was gonna say is right there.

Longshanks
06-18-2004, 05:56
I think the new uniform looks hideous, but function is much more important. My major gripe with this new uniform is that it isn't functional, at least not yet. Hopefully the Army makes some changes.

Velcro is a really bad idea. It's not exactly stealthy, imagine being on a night patrol and getting that caught up in a low branch. I believe the name tapes are velcro too...now that is a horrible idea. Do they want to make identifying the dead that much more difficult?

There are zippers in the front as well, which are bad. They are prone to melting in a flash fire (same with velcro) which is why the USMC didn't go with them on their new utilities. The likelyhood of life-threatening burns is increased in the event of a helicopter crash or something of that sort.

The Mandarin collar is a good feature though. The standard collars on uniforms tend to rub your neck raw after being in full gear for awhile in the field.

I think the MARPAT looks better, but then being a jarhead I might be biased. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

mercian billman
06-18-2004, 06:02
Spmetla, I think the new boot is also the same as what the USMC is using.

USMCNJ
06-18-2004, 08:30
This is just another attempt of the army to be more like the marine corps.

The US Marines have been wearing a similar uniform for the last 3 years. It has been a standard issue in bootcamp for over a year.

As far as i know we don't have the gray (urban) pattern. We do have the woodland and the desert.

The Marine uniform is fits much batter then the standard ever did.

The digital design is unbelievable. If the marine (in this uniform) is more then 30 yards from you will probably not notice him.

The USMC uniform does not have the collar shown in the picture.

The boots are the worst part of this uniform. They are light brown and are of the same material as the standard Timberland boots. (even have the ega on the side)
As far as i know the marines are issued only one type. These boots have the air holes similar to the old jungle boots, which allow them to get wet easily and makes them too cold for winter conditions. They material itself is very thick, making the boots impossible to dry, uncomfortable to wear, too hot for summer conditions.
( a side note) since the boots take at least a day to dry you can imagine how bad they make your feet smell.

scooter_the_shooter
06-18-2004, 14:46
ditch the beret. now that i look at it more our army is going to look like space warriors or somthing with the new gun and all,

jkaney55
06-18-2004, 15:39
Its about time they get a new gun, the M-16 was outdated the moment it hit the scene. Some take the M-16 as gospel, but thousands more would easily trade the gun for an AK 47. AK-47's are extremely resiliant to weathering. You don't need to worry about sand in the mussel, and nor do you need to maintain it even one third od the time you need to do for the M-16. The only thing M-16 wins in is the extremely small caliber that is perfect for the internal shred of an enemy, where AK 47's only do this sometimes...others they shoot strait through.

The new one is more attractive than the new uniform, but it has an uncanny resemblence to a paintball gun...

Longshanks
06-18-2004, 16:41
Quote[/b] (jkaney55 @ June 18 2004,09:39)]Its about time they get a new gun, the M-16 was outdated the moment it hit the scene. Some take the M-16 as gospel, but thousands more would easily trade the gun for an AK 47. AK-47's are extremely resiliant to weathering. You don't need to worry about sand in the mussel, and nor do you need to maintain it even one third od the time you need to do for the M-16. The only thing M-16 wins in is the extremely small caliber that is perfect for the internal shred of an enemy, where AK 47's only do this sometimes...others they shoot strait through.
I'd take the M-16 over an AK-47 any day of the week.

The M-16 has greater range (550m compared to 300m), is much more accurate and the smaller round means the grunt can hump more ammo. It's also a reliable weapon so long as its maintained properly, something that shouldn't be a problem for well trained professionals. Of course in the hands of a poorly trained guerilla or conscript, you are better of with the less temperamental Kalashnikov.

Lord Ovaat
06-18-2004, 17:19
While the uniform is hideous, that is of secondary importance. I have the same grip as some of you concerning the velcro and zippers, which are NOISY, not to mention the other problems. Another grip is the permanent press addition to the fabric. Wrinkle free clothing is generally hoter than standard. Looking smart should be of secondary importance to utility. Gotta agree the wickable socks and underwear are a good idea, though. Nothing worse than working up a sweat and then being unable to stay warm when the sun goes down because your underwear are damp. The rest of the design changes do seem to be improvements. The new personal weapon system also seems to be a big improvement in utility and function. I've always thought--depending upon the theater of operations--a lest one squad per company should be armed with long range, wall penetrating weapons, such as the Garand. But in reality, there is no need for that at this time. Infantry today are almost never on their own without close support.

But why make a uniform that looks like that permanent press? Nothing you do is gonna make that thing look spiffy.

BDC
06-18-2004, 20:39
Quote[/b] (Longshanks @ June 18 2004,16:41)]
Quote[/b] (jkaney55 @ June 18 2004,09:39)]Its about time they get a new gun, the M-16 was outdated the moment it hit the scene. Some take the M-16 as gospel, but thousands more would easily trade the gun for an AK 47. AK-47's are extremely resiliant to weathering. You don't need to worry about sand in the mussel, and nor do you need to maintain it even one third od the time you need to do for the M-16. The only thing M-16 wins in is the extremely small caliber that is perfect for the internal shred of an enemy, where AK 47's only do this sometimes...others they shoot strait through.
I'd take the M-16 over an AK-47 any day of the week.

The M-16 has greater range (550m compared to 300m), is much more accurate and the smaller round means the grunt can hump more ammo. It's also a reliable weapon so long as its maintained properly, something that shouldn't be a problem for well trained professionals. Of course in the hands of a poorly trained guerilla or conscript, you are better of with the less temperamental Kalashnikov.
AKs are fully automatic though, always a benefit in close-quaters city fighting.

KukriKhan
06-18-2004, 21:00
...Soldiers will
eventually reap gains in money and time by not having to take uniforms
to the cleaners or shine boots...

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

They told me that in '72, again in '80, and again in '87. Every time the US Army tries to get rid of boot shining, it reverses itself 6 months later, in my experience. Old-timers when I first got drafted said it was that way in the 50's & 60's also.

I'll believe it when I see it, Army-wide.

RisingSun
06-19-2004, 00:10
Quote[/b] ]AKs are fully automatic though, always a benefit in close-quaters city fighting.

But if you're not in a city, you'll be picked off before you get close enough.

And full auto isn't as big an advantage as you may think.

Three round burst is more than enough to kill a man, or at the very least render him incapable of further combat.

And if need, be, the trigger can be squeezed fast enough so that it may as well be full auto.

spmetla
06-19-2004, 19:19
Erasing the past...

BDC
06-19-2004, 19:31
Yeah, I don't know too much about weapons - I was just resaying what I had read elsewhere.

JAG
06-19-2004, 19:40
What the hell kinda colour and uniform is that? Looks ridiculous Maybe US are now trying to beat the enemy with laughter http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

spmetla
06-20-2004, 03:03
Erasing the past...

scooter_the_shooter
06-21-2004, 01:43
spray and pray does nothing thats why in somalia america killed over 1000 of the militia men and lost only 19.

solypsist
06-21-2004, 04:21
I'd have to see the new uniform on a movie star to really know if it looks any good. the dude in the pic would prob make a tuxedo look like crap.

mercian billman
06-21-2004, 21:48
Quote[/b] (solypsist @ June 20 2004,22:21)]I'd have to see the new uniform on a movie star to really know if it looks any good. the dude in the pic would prob make a tuxedo look like crap.
I think he's just pissed having to wear that uniform, and pose for it. Pictures of uniforms look cooler when the uniform is a little dirty or in a real field situation with a full combat load.

Im surprised the US Army didn't use this as a sort of recruiting promo by having a younger, and better looking (or female) soldier pose.

nightcrawlerblue
06-22-2004, 01:01
Everything looks like it comes from Starship Troopers...

The velcro is a bad idea.

That new gun looks cool but I don't know... It's good that it can change its use before (or during) battle but what happens if it isn't put together properly? I'd hate to be facing down an Al-quada (how the heck do you spell it?) rebel with an AK47 just to realize one of the parts isn't in perfectly and as I pull the trigger my gun explodes...

spmetla
07-01-2004, 11:42
Erasing the past...

scooter_the_shooter
07-02-2004, 15:44
i dont like it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/angry.gif

bighairyman
07-02-2004, 17:26
Do you know what that remainded me of? the guy in the pic look like one of those soldier/guards for Dr.Evil. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

noramis
07-03-2004, 01:18
That looks god awful, sad thing is we paid $500 million or so for that.

Shahed
07-05-2004, 04:59
Who cares how it LOOKS ? Tell me if it WORKS ?

btw this is OLD