PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Of The Middle Ages MOD

shakaka36
06-20-2004, 00:51
ive played a few dark ages mods, but none of them fit the specifications i was particularly interested in so i set to work on one of my own

the factions:

-The Byzatines (as yet i am undecided on whether to call
them the east romans)
-the Caliphate (ie the arabs)
-The Berbers
-The Visgoths
-The Basques (what else was i gonna do with the Aragonese?)
-the Franks
-The Britons
-The Slavs
-The Avars
-The Khazars
-A scandanavian faction of some form (or maybe more than 1)
-The Sassanid Persians
-The Lombards
-The Papacy (relocated to finland, where he can do less harm)
-The Anglo-Saxons

this is a preliminary list, based on the map as it is in my first start date (632 has been chosen because it is the year of the death Of Mohammed, and thus the point where the arabs poured out from Arabia)

the end mod will also include a High start date of: 732, the year of the pivotal battle of Poiters

and a Late start date of 843, the year of the signing of the Treaty Of Verdun, which divided the empire of Charlemagne among his grandsons,

i eventually plan to add new units of my own, but initially any new units would mearly be modifications of existing ones

well thats my mod, i hope some of you are interested

The Blind King of Bohemia
06-20-2004, 14:15
Ask a guy called Kataphaktoi, he did a mod around that time period and it could prove useful to yer http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

TheSilverKnight
06-20-2004, 17:56
Perhaps you should leave the Pope in Rome. It is good that he tries to keep the catholic factions in line, plus if the Byzantines try to go down to Italy they can party with the Pope in Rome http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Earl of Sandwich
06-20-2004, 23:24
I was doing some work on a mod that deals with the time period of Charlemagne, but I've pretty much abandoned it on account of lack of interest of others. But I did create names lists for the Avars, Bulgars, Magyars, Lombards, Franks, and Germans. I can also offer up Visigothic names. Perhaps I can offer you some help. By the way, you might want to split the slavs or something. During the early period, 632, I believe there was a Bohemian faction of Samo. You might also want to add a German faction. (I'll have to check.) Later, there was the kingdom of great Moravia, which was conquered by the Magyars.
As for the East Romans, it would be acceptable to refer to them as the Byzantines, because this is after Justinian, the last true Roman emperor of Constantinople, died.

shakaka36
06-21-2004, 06:11
Earl Of Sandwich, those name lists would be great. i think i will split the slavs, as they have a worryingly large number of provinces at present. as for a german faction (in 632) so far as i know the only parts of germany with any independence were saxony, and a region to the south of them which was under loose Frankish over-lordship, that region is currently under the Franks though i have been putting consideration into making them independent

my work with the Caliphate has been interesting, i've given them a vast number (several thousand) of troops and placed them with one province: Arabia, thus they automatically attack everythign around them (usually going for the sassanids then moving on the the Byzantines) ive found that they seem to take a liking to just going strgiht north into the depths of anatolia, to counteract this i have beefed up the garrisons on the borders of anatolia (i mean the geographical anatolia not the province anatolia) and thus they now usually attack along the african coast as well. im planning on giving them a cheap fast building low level ship so they can attack islands early on, which is something they did do

i dont plan to edit the campaign map, as i lack the no-how, however i would dearly like to fiddle with a number of regions, notably southern italy and spain, espiecally the latter, as its current provincial setup makes forming the dark age spanish factions very difficult, but i suppose there is nothing i can do